User Reviews for Xyzal

Learn more about Xyzal.

Xyzal Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 151 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Reviews for Xyzal to treat Urticaria

"If ever there is an award for the most irritating/embarassing illness, urticaria would (must?) definitely be a contender. Diagnosed with chronic urticaria about a month ago, and suffered immensely (redundancy at play here :). Nothing really worked, until a dermatologist prescribed Xyzal about a week ago. Told to drop all forms of medication - anti-histamines and ALL supplements, among others - and just take Xyzal. Hives acted up on first two days but have been free (almost) of hives for five days. Early days, but keeping fingers crossed that this will be a permanent solution. Will update."

YusY September 2, 2015

"I broke out in itchy red welts that the doctor first thought was insect bites. It continued even after I stayed indoors. I also have alopecia ariata which is auto immune. I took xyzal and after just 2 days, the itching and welts lessened and by day 5 I did not form any more welts."

patient 712 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2015

"Great for chronic idiopathic urticaria"

ahmedss (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2015

"This medication is excellent! I have had horrible angioedema (a type of urticaria where the hives form under the skin) since I was ten years old from an autoimmune disease and have gone through several different medications, but this once has worked the most effectively. And I can tell how well it works because when I forget to take it, the hives show up within about 12 hours after the missed dose and once I remember to take the missed dose, within about two hours, it feels as though I never had angioedema at all."

coriiic (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 9, 2014

"Excellent!!"

Khrissy (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2013

"Hives and itchy skin and very bad hand itch that cased to to scratch. I used to get them every other day for 2-3 hours I used to lock myself in the room and itch and itch and itch then. I was told about Xyzal from my father-in-law. Life is so good with Xyzal. I only wish this medicine is known to more people who suffer from itch and hives that make life so painful. But when Medicine like Xyzal is created. It's very good medicine that can cure allergies or itchy skin. I just take one tablet every 2 days and sleep like baby and feel the best next mooring."

Anonymous December 4, 2012

"I have had hives my entire life. I finally saw an allergist and he did tests. He took me off of all medicines and put me on Xyzal. I took the Xyzal three times and I have not had a hive since. Seriously. I had my first hives at 4 months and had hives everyday for forty six years. I do not know what Xyzal did but it fixed me. I stopped taking Claritin and Benadryl and Zyrtec. Took Xyzal for three days. It made me VERY sleepy. I can't even take a normal Benadryl dose without falling asleep, though. I had to take liquid Benadryl, one teaspoon, if I wanted to stay awake. I slept twelve hours with my first dose of Xyzal and about 8 hours with the two successive doses. Then, I never had a hive again."

Anonymous August 25, 2011

"It has been 2 years since I've suffered with Chronic Hives. Like many on this board, nothing has worked. After a severe outbreak of hives, and a visit to my Doctor, he put me on Xyzal. I can say I'm about 95% hive free. I still have some hives but they're not as many or as large. It is very early with this treatment to say that it will continue this way. But, for the first time, I am hopeful. I will return to this forum to give updates."

Estelle A. February 23, 2011

"Works as well as Zyrtec but non-drowzy. I take Xyzal in the morning and Zyrtec in the evening for chronic idiopathic urticaria with angioedema."

beaglemasterSTL February 4, 2011

"I have been suffering with Auto Immune Chronic Urticaria with Angioedema since August 2010. I am so over these HIVES. I was also diagnosed with a mild case of (ITP) Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) in August as well. Since then I have been on a roller coaster with these hives. One day I am hive free, the next day I wake up with swollen lips then a few days later my arms, back and legs are covered in hives. Since August I have been on Benadryl, Atarax, Singular, Zantac, Zyrtec, Claratin, methylprednisolone just to name a few. A few days ago I looked on the internet and saw Xyzal. I immediately called my allergist and asked for it. I couldn%u2019t believe that it was $113.99 for 30 tabs. It was worth a try. Today is day number three on the medication and I do notice a BIG difference. I still have a few hives here and there but overall, it is a LIFE SAVER to me. I have not noticed any major side effects so far. I have been a little drowsy and I am shocked at that because NOTHING makes me sleepy. I have a feeling my Hubby will have to put this one in the budget! "

Sick of Hives... January 22, 2011

"Very good for me."

Anonymous October 21, 2010

"I started developing an outbreak of rashes all over my body about two years ago. Since then my GP has prescribed the usual antihistamine cetirizine and hydroxyzine. I noticed my rashes didn't subside totally after I took them both, but when I was prescribed Xyzal, I noticed it lowered the inflammation of my skin and the itchiness level was greatly reduced too. Since then I have been taking Xyzal together with Atarax and I find it to be quite effective as a combination. I have been taking Xyzal on a daily basis ever since. My rashes come back sometimes, but I have no choice since there are no newer antihistamine other then Xyzal. My doctor has never prescribed me Allegra."

Anonymous June 16, 2010

"I have suffered from hives for over 30 years. No medicine helped. I had them for 3 years straight, 24/7. My hives have come back about 4 different times, lasting up to a year. I have been on Xyzal for about 2 months. I take Benadryl, then an hour later I will take the Xyzal. I take Benadryl at bedtime. This is the first time in the 30 years that I feel they are under control. For anyone with chronic hives, its worth a shot. I have no side effects as of yet. They do not make me tired either."

Anonymous May 13, 2010

"i have had heat induced hives for about 5 months now on the face.. xyzal worked really well and i have had little to no breakouts on my face since. The only side affect i have experienced was nose bleeds."

Anonymous February 24, 2010

"I have suffered with severe hives for more than 8 years. About one year ago my fourth doctor discovered I had H-Pylori. After treatment I remained hive free for almost 8 months. This summer minor reoccurances started back but are controlled with one Xyzal at night, not 100% effective but close to 85%."

Anonymous December 9, 2009

"My itchy skin due to Psoriasis was reduced by 80% when I started taking Xyzal. Nothing I have taken over the years has come close. It doesn't make me sleepy like Atarax or Benadryl. A great bonus is it works for 24 hours. I'm able to sleep through the night without any annoying itch."

mstaylor December 3, 2009

"Within two days of starting this drug my Delayed Pressure Urticaria, DPU, came under control. It controls it so far to about at the 95% level. I had a couple of major flare-ups the first day I took it, but I suspect the levels had not built up in my blood yet. I have had one headache but unknown if this drug caused it. My allergies are also under control. The Urticaria still appears a little but much less in size, scope and no itching or raised welts. No feelings of tiredness for me, in fact it kind of speeds me up. I'm amazed that a cousin of Zyrtec can do so much more. Zyrtec didn't touch the hives before, even when taking up to triple the normal daily dose. If you have hives give it a try."

Reborn November 30, 2009

"My 16 year old dughter was prescribed this medicine and after two doses became exhausted. She could not remember anything she learned in school. Said it was effortful to walk, although she walked normally. She described herself as feeling like she was in a dream state. I discontinued the drug and within 24 hours she felt normal."

Anonymous November 20, 2009

"I have had chronic urticaria for six months and have experienced the same non results from Xyzal as with all other antihistamines."

Anonymous October 22, 2009

"I have had Severe Chronic Hives for a little over a year. So many Allergists/Immunologists gave me everything including XYZAL (but once a day combined with other medicines) did very little to help. A Dermatologist said to stop all other and take XYZAL in morning and night and now my Hives are 95% cleared. I'm am at a point were I feel the hives are manageable and I can work without the heavy AntiHistimines that make me so Groggy."

Anonymous October 7, 2009

"This cleared up an allergic reaction caused by an antibiotic I was taking as well as allergy symptoms to molds at the same time - very fast acting too. Not as sleepy as with Benadryl, either."

Anonymous September 21, 2009

"Works within an hour."

Anonymous August 21, 2009

"I suffered for a year with Uticaria. I tried steriods and several other allergy medications. To no avail. Finally after seeing many Doctors, one gave me Xyzal to try. The first day I took it I had almost immeadiate relief. My hives, swelling of joints and what I called "attacks" (could not stop sneezing, feeling my throat close and face start to swell up) all but disappeared. I have been taking Xyzal daily for almost 2 years and have experienced no side effects whatsoever. It gave me my life back."

Anonymous August 16, 2009

"I have had chronic hives for a year and a half. It's awful. I have been taking Xyzal for almost a year now. Xyzal works to eliminate the itching and rashes, but it makes me very tired. If I take it during the day I feel tired. If I take it before bed I have difficulty waking up and getting started. It also makes me feel down, just not myself. I have not found anything better to help with my rash outbreaks so I do continue to use it."

MLB0609 June 25, 2009

"I used XYZAL, and it made my eyes burn, gave me a migrane, and I was dizzy all the time. This drug did not work for me."

Anonymous March 12, 2009