User Reviews for Levocetirizine

Also known as: Levrix, Xyzal

Learn more about Levocetirizine.

Levocetirizine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 610 medications used in the treatment of Allergies.

Reviews for Levocetirizine to treat Allergies

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Xyzal is one of the most effective antihistamines out there, IMO. It stops all my allergy symptoms from the first pill- I can feel my sinuses open up. It has gotten me through horrible seasons where the grasses I'm allergic to are rampant. The only downside for me is the major sedation. It is supposed to be non-sedating, but a few people will have issues with this. Curiously, I find the sedation to come on several hours after I take it, so I time that with bedtime. At first the sedation was so bad that it felt like I was going under anesthesia! My allergist told me she had the same issue, and had me cut the tablet in half to take the pediatric dose. That helped a lot, but I still time it for when it makes me tired."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 27, 2016

"After taking everything else and still having same problems in decided to take levocetirizine 5 mg just to make my doctor happy. It worked miracles! 7 years of no hives, no sneezing, no itchy eyes during worst pollen season nothing! (My biggest problem is dust mite, so I take this medication through the whole year) but everything must come to an end. Blue cross Blue shield is no longer paying for this medications, it will cost me $76 for 30 pills. So I am now trying to find anything that's close to levocetirizine but no luck. All my symptoms returned overnight."

Adar1974 February 24, 2016

"Initially, levocetorizine worked very well in reducing cough and throat clearing. But as well as it worked for that, I felt sluggish during the day.. ( I'm took pill at night as prescribed ). I had very vivid dreams. I felt in the day as if I had a mild hangover. I cut the pill in half, so I had 2.5 mg instead of 5. Still felt groggy. I then injested 1/4 of the pill, still groggy. I didn't take it at all last night, still vivid dreams, but no groggy in a.m. I'm going to ask Dr if there is another med for me, as side effects too tiring."

mdenhen (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

"The relief from the itchy nose and congestion are absolutely fantastic. The drowsyness is my issue. I can easily stay in bed 12 hours after taking it. I'm going to try a half dose and see what happens because the allergy relief is amazing."

rajpal716 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

"I have always have eczema my whole life. I have tried different creams & pills, both prescription & over the counter. I finally go to a dermatologist 2 weeks ago & she prescribed levocetirizine, along w/ a bunch of different creams. I told her I was using benadryl, which helped w/ itching until it wears off. I start taking it, & about 3-4 days later, I noticed that it had been roughly 24 hours of not using the bathroom. It didn't help w/ itching at all, sometimes made it worse. I quit taking them & when I contacted the doctor, her nurse said "%u2026that can't happen at all%u2026". Uh, so why does it list that under side effects?? I guess it works, but honestly, I rather take an anti-itch shot than risk having kidney failure & shaking non-stop. "

TheBigBangTheoryT.V.ShowFan!15 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Before I started taking Xyzal I would get so stuffy at night in bed that I would have gladly had my entire nose and sinuses removed. It was that horrible. I would lock up so tight my ears would pop. Xyzal has been a miracle for me. No more stuffy nose at night. It works wonderfully. I would give up any of my other medications before I would my Xyzal. I tried all the other allergy medications but none helped. Xyzal is the very best!"

jangarrett71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2015

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Xyzal has helped keep the chronic sinus infections away while on a biologic for an autoimmune disorder! That's a miracle! I love xyzal. Some days I get sleepy so I take it @ night. Now if I can just get the autoimmune symptoms to go away id be kicking booty! Love xyzal for allergies!"

Dottie O. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2015

"I take this drug since about 3 years ago every other day. I am a HBP patient so no decongestants for me. This one is the one that has alleviated my allergies, as I have been a sufferer all of my life. But it also makes me so relax that I sleep for more than 10 hours, then by Spring time they are not enough for me, and taken everyday, I doze the whole day and symptoms of congestion is worse, I stopped using Flonase because it irritates my nose, then it burns and bleed. So this year I tried myself a combination of both Levocetirizine 5 m and over the counter Claritin. I felt so alleviated from my Spring allergy but I didn't feel sleepy at all."

easysneezy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Best pill EVER for fighting Allergies! Results have been Phenomenal!!!!"

DivaSupreme (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I have debilitating seasonal allergies, to the point where my eyes swell up completely. Doctors kept saying take zyrtec, take claritin, nasonex, etc. Nothing made even a dent in the symptoms, even benadryl barely helped. When I was finally prescribed xyzal it completely changed allergy season for me. I feel like I have no allergies at all (almost a problem because I forget to take my meds). Anyone who is miserable during allergy season should seriously consider xyzal."

HappyCamper:) May 10, 2015

"Levocetirizine worked on my allergies when everything else was failing! This allergy medicine is a head above the rest for helping you to breathe easier. My allergies were awful and especially at night when I was trying to sleep and my face was pounding with pressure. Levocetirizine really relieved my symptoms better than the over the counter medicines I was taking."

breathing better (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Works great for me with no side effects......love it!"

Coats1210 February 7, 2014

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "WOW is all can say. This allergy medication works great. It's for 24 hour relief and I don't sneeze anymore. I have bad allergies to cats but I love them so much, except they almost caused an asthma attack because of my allergies, once I was prescribed Xyzal ALL the symptoms went away. This is like the miracle for allergy relief, it doesn't make me drowsy at all but it's different for each individual I guess. It stops your eye itching, nose dripping, sneezing and wheezing."

Baby115566 October 5, 2013

"I've had allergies all my life, and they get especially bad in the summer. I get completely stuffy and I can't breathe from my nose at any time, regardless of what I am doing. If I take this, they get a better, but not completely gone. My doctor also added Fluticasone and now my allergy symptoms are completely gone. Claritin-D, Allegra-D and Zyrtec-D just didn't help."

Tristanth May 13, 2013

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I used it for about two weeks and it didn't really help my allergies but it made me sick to my stomach and it felt like I had to throw up. I stopped taking it and I'm back to normal"

CW Programmer May 6, 2013

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Over the past few years I have increasingly been plagued by debilitating allergies. I have gotten shots and taken Zyrtec, and other allergy meds daily without complete results. Xyzal was recently prescribed and I have had excellent results. I haven't felt this good in years (at the height of allergy season, too)."

Meroche May 2, 2013

"My doctor prescribed levocetirizine for reoccurring hives about 3 months ago. The first night I took a full dose (5 mg) I slept like a rock; didn't get up until the late morning. I now cut the pill in half which has eliminated any drowsiness. It has helped the hives and I haven't experienced any unusual side effects other than when I forgot to take it for a couple of days and starting feeling nauseous. So if/when I no longer need it I will stop using gradually instead of suddenly."

PBJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2013

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "After taking Xyzal for only 3 weeks, my quality of life has vastly improved. The first 2 days I felt a little sleepy. The only symptom I still have is a runny nose in the morning, but it goes away after several hours. I took Zyrtec D for over a decade while living in Los Angeles and my allergy symptoms were controlled, but some days I could barely speak because my mouth and throat were simply too dry. After moving to Arizona, Zyrtec D was failing to control my allergy symptoms and I was dry everywhere. My skin itched, my eyes and ears itched and hurt. I tried both Claritin D and Allegra D which provided little to no relief."

Sun City Bruin March 19, 2013

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I had been taking Allegra and Nasonex for years, but still did not have good control over my allergies and asthma. I used Benadryl as needed when my two prescription medicines were not enough. The pulmonologist told me that Benadryl has an intense drying effect in your body and that it makes your mucous more viscous (thicker). Within 2 days of starting Xyzal (and stopping Benadryl), I definitely had thinned mucous and my skin was much less dry. My asthma was much better controlled and I had less sensitivity to environmental triggers. Unfortunately, I also started experiencing moderate-to-severe headaches along with a feeling of depression/anxiety. Without Xyzal, I get pneumonia.. with it, I feel crazy. Works, but bad side effects."

Anonymous August 6, 2011

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "This medicine has seriously changed my life. Had struggled with allergies and recurrent sinus infections my whole life, but in my early 20s started having idiopathic anaphylactic reaction. I ended up in the ER several times, once with epinephrine. My allergist determined I was allergic to everything...seasonal and indoors. He prescribed Xyzal. I have not had one ER visit or sinus infection in 2 years AND no side effects. I call it my magic pill."

Ucogirly October 17, 2010

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I started taking Xyzal after a single episode of urticaria. I have had hands tremors for 40 years, severe enough to interfere with my work as a nurse. After 2 days, I noticed that the tremors were gone. To verify it was linked to the medication, I stopped taking it, and after 2 days, my left hand started shaking again, so I restarted it. It's been 3 weeks, and I am still free of any tremors."

Linotte August 14, 2010

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "This medicine has allowed me to be functional with my allergies! "

Anonymous June 20, 2010

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I have started using this about 5 months ago, works great for the allergies but the side effects are terrible. "

Patapouf May 3, 2010

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I have chronic sinus allergies and my ENT prescribed Singulair and Allegra 180 mg one tab each per day. These worked fine for me, but my Doctor then asked me to try Xyzal instead of the Allegra, I've been using this new combination for about a month or so, but for me, the Allegra may be more effective, and I don't get the "drowsies" from it as I get with Xyzal. I then did something stupid, I tried being my own doctor, and took (2) Xyzal tabs with my usual 20mg of Singulair. The result being INCREASED histamine and drowsiness... so folks, the moral here is; Don't play Doctor,... abide by your Doctor's instructions... he/she knows best."

sneezee January 30, 2010

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I started using this medicine about 2 months ago and gained about 10 pounds within that time frame. I stopped taking the medicine about 4 days ago and have already lost a couple of pounds."

Anonymous January 10, 2010