User Reviews for Keppra

Seizures 98 reviews 42 medications

6.9
Summary of Keppra reviews 132 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Keppra

For Seizures "After a stroke in 2005 I had seizures until starting with Keppra @ 500mg bid, now i'm up to 1000 twice a day, and haven't been bothered by any side effects at all. I'm glad that it is available as a generic, now- I use Levetiracetam, only $4 a month as opposed to the $720 a month Keppra was until recently."

Coffee luver February 3, 2016

For Epilepsy "I was diagnosed at 13 years old with grand mal seizures due to my period. Was put on Keppra 250 mg twice a day. I'm 21 now and still take it. It does control my seizures ( though I still get Aura's once in a while) and I have experienced all the side effects. My parents and friends will be the first to tell you how drastically I have changed from this medication. It makes you very irritable, tired, depressed, CRAZY mood swings and short tempered. Through the years, I've learned to handle it better. When I was 15 I stopped taking them to see if I grew it out of it, suggested by my neuro, and had 3 seizures in 3 days. Have been taking it every day ever since. Keeps me to live a normal life, like drive a car and go to school!"

Anonymous January 30, 2016

For Seizures "I wish I could tell you what it is like after my husband STOPS taking Keprra. For my husband and I this has been worse than his hit to the head. Major mood swings,can't sleep, can't eat, anxiety and more. It has been horrible. The thing is everybody is different, but if you are taking Keppra and these are happening to you speak with your doctor asap and try something else. It has been hard!!!!"

Anonymous January 28, 2016

For Seizures "Falling asleep most of the day and feeling zonked out, they do help but there must be a kinder drug they could use on us. Also I am grumpy but then that could be me. xx"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

For Seizures "Stopped seizures, caused strange behavior and severe depression."

Eli Manning January 9, 2016

For Seizures "I had my first seizure in 04/04/14 whilst driving and they found that I had epilepsy. The neurologist put me on keppra. It is by far the best drug I've had to take. Initially it was a pain as I was always angry, depressed because I lost my Driving Licence and tired all the time. All I wanted to do was sleep. However, once it took this medication after 6 months, the side effects wore off and I was getting back to my old self again. Happy and all that. I once forgot to take my tablets for 2 days. I had a seizure. Biggest mistake I've made. I always remember to take my tablets now. I'm fit free now. Please take your tablets. They do help."

Ronakm1987 December 16, 2015

For Seizures "I had my first seizure February 2014 and was prescribed Keppra. I took it for a while and experienced all the symptoms as everyone else: depression, fatigue, mood swings, hallucinations, etc. You name it I had it. I had no energy and all I could do was sleep. I got tired of living like that and one day decided to stop taking them, bad move. It was fine for 4 days, I was energized and happy but on that day I had another seizure. I told my doctor and he changed my prescription to Trileptal. I have been on it since that day and the only side effect I think I have would be hair thinning."

Dia Mond (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

For Seizures "I am 16, I have had Juvenille Myoclonic Epilepsy for almost 2 years now and have been on keppra ever since. I experienced some weight loss, extreme depression, hallucinations, and memory loss. I've only had one other grand mal seizure while on this and I do not jerk anymore. Though it works I wish I felt alive and awake during normal daily tasks. If you can seek other medications for physiological and behavioral reasons, I suggest it."

JME girl November 1, 2015

For Seizures "Will keppra help you come out of a seizure?!?"

Jennie23 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

For Seizures "Made me more aggressive lost nearly 50% of my friends on facebook while on this. Caused me to lose contact with several family members after they saw my anger from being on this. Product should be off the market!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

For Epilepsy "When I first started jeopardy I noticed instability with my emotions, especially anger. After a complete rage out I decided to do some research and discovered that taking a vitamin b6 supplement helps to reduce or eliminate this effect. The results were instantanious with me. If you take keppra I strongly recommend getting the b6 supplement. I take 1 in the morning with breakfast."

Blazeem October 15, 2015

For Seizures "My fiance (22 yrs old, 130 lbs) has been on Keppra combined with Vimpat for over a year and he has had very bad mood swings, weight loss, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, depression, and irritability/quick temper. We are trying to find out if there is another medication he can take in combination with these to help combat the side effects, or if someone has found another med that works as well with less severe side effects, seeing this is the only med that has helped his seizures so far (diagnosed at 17) Anyone else with a similar problem, or know what might help?"

Nkap (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2015

For Seizures "I have all side effects and I have to talk to my doctor about taking it . I take 1000mg twice a day. It's crazy. I hate having to take this."

Nikkie4420gmail.com (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

For Seizures "I was on decadron and vimpat (Lacosamide, another anticonvulsant), and I'm pretty sure the vimpat was compounding the side effects of the decadron (mood swings, weight gain, blood sugar issues ('m also diabetic).Plus, I was still having seizures, especially whed I tried to work out (mostly running, but sometimes on an elliptical machine. I asked to be put back on the keppra I had taken for 6 months prior to being moved to the vimpat. I've been able to run again, and am having fewer seizures (although had one this morning after doing the ADA diabetes step out 23 mile walk and sprinting the last half mile to get to a restroom. I definitely feel like the keppra is more effective against seizures, still, and doesn't compound the side-effects "

TonyB1969 October 3, 2015

For Seizures "My 2 year old grandson was drop falling constantly every 2/3 min. He already was taking toprimate and onfi. We started koppra and the falling decrease with one dosage. three days now and no falls, no shakes or jerks."

319s September 12, 2015

For Seizures "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 17 and was prescribed Dilantin. I was having grand mal seizures and it was working ok. When I was 22 I moved to Florida and saw a new neurologist and he said Dilantin was an old drug and put me on keppra. I'm taking 1500mg twice a day and I'm having more grand mal seizures and partial complex zone outs. Keppra has not helped at all and I'm going to a new doctor for a different opinion on what to take."

Kevin Heidegger September 5, 2015

For Epilepsy "I have been on Keppra for two years and would not recommend it. Keppra greatly reduced the frequency and severity of my seizures BUT it did so at a cost. Since starting Keppra I've consistently experienced depression, anxiety, and compulsive suicidal thoughts. It has significantly impacted my quality of life in terms of mental health."

Not worth it July 29, 2015

For Seizures "I am 37 years old and have had Petit Mal Seizures since I was 2 Years old. My seizures were always controlled on Epival. However, this drug isn't safe during pregnancy so my Dr prescribed me Keppra (500mg) before we staring to try for a baby. Keppra works well for me to control the Petit Mal Seizures. However, it has really bad side effects. It made me extremely tired and quite moody. The worse part about this medication it caused me to have 2 Grand Mal Seizures (10w and 18 w). Before these 2 seizures I have never had a Grand Mal before. I am now off of Keppra and on Lamotrigine and feel great. I have energy and feel like myself again. Best of all no Grand Mal seizures!"

CKLADY (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

For Seizures "I had my first seizure when I was 13 years old. It scared my parents and I to death. After that I started experiancing seizures every month. Almost all of my seizures (except 3) have happened while I am asleep. I am 29 now and all the EEGs and EKGs come back normal. I have been taking Keppra now for 6 months and I have not had any Grand Mal seizures. I take 1000 mg everynight after dinner and I make it a point to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. I have not experienced any mood swings or depression. The good definitely out ways the bad.... Many blessings"

Chris956 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

For Epilepsy "I was on 1500mg of Keppra (generic) for partial seizures that progressed into a grand mal seizure. Immediately upon starting the meds, I noticed that things were different. I felt disconnected from myself, trouble with attention, word finding, coordination, mood, working and longterm memory. However, I was seizure free and I needed to drive so I pushed through, not enjoying my life as much and making terrible social decisions. Finally after 4 years, my neurologist is helping me wean off so that I can start a family without worry. I am down to 250mg a day and WHOA my whole life is changing. I feel centered, even, connected. I am so sad about how I was living my life on Keppra. Don't ruin your life "

JJ40 June 29, 2015

For Seizures "I've been on keppra for about a year now. I am not the same person I use to be. I have lost motivation to do anything. I can't retain information. I introduce myself to people I already know because I can't remember anything even things I learned years ago. The worst part is I still have seizures. They just keep increasing the dose. I'm up to 1500mg twice a day."

Jontabor June 18, 2015

For Seizures "My daughter just started this medicine and she is still having seizures. Before the seizures were not happening during the as often, now it is happening more frequently. I still yet to see any real good results..."

Alfmann June 16, 2015

For Seizures "My husband is 35 yrs old and had his first seizure in 03/15 right before a medical procedure for a shot in his back due to pain. He has an extreme phobia of needles and seized before they did the procedure for his back. The doctors believe it was due to extreme stress but then a month and a half later while at work he had another seizure. The neurologist started him on Keppra and he has been on it for a little over a month. He hasn't experienced another seizure but the medication is making him extremely depressed, he seems drunk/high from it, can't walk straight, speech is slurred, eyes glossy, memory loss. I don't even feel like he is even my husband anymore because it has made him so spacey."

WorriedinCO June 5, 2015

For Seizures "I'm 63 now using Keppra (levetiracetam) 500 mg has been a good choice by my neurologist for approximately 5 yrs. I take 750 mg at bed time and it has worked well. My insurance covers Keppra but levetiracetam is more affordable and has worked for me."

With Prayer May 18, 2015

For Seizures "I began using generic Zeppra in 10/14 after four seizures, 500 mg in the am and pm. There were abnormalities in my EEG. No seizures but very sleepy and sluggish during the day and weight gain. Neurologist changed medication one Zeppra extended release three weeks ago and now I'm losing my hair. I'm calling the neurologist to see what we can do."

Mariel's April 12, 2015