User Reviews for Keppra

Learn more about Keppra.

Keppra review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Keppra to treat Seizures

Review by DarthDerwin (taken for less than 1 month):

Started about 1 week ago. Was fine then all of sudden I started feeling really tired, restless. Nothing unusual. Now I have no appetite. Spaced out majority of the day. My mood swings are through the roof. And tonight I had a nightmare. Calling my doctor to see what to do.

July 17, 2014 4:49 AM

Review by Soccerfamily:

My 8 year old was put on Keppra for complex partial seizures. Except for some initial tiredness in the first two weeks she has had no side effects. She takes 250mg twice a day. She even won her age group in a 1mile race two weeks ago and her competitive soccer team won their soccer tournament this weekend thanks to some of the goals she scored. I have noticed no difference in her school work or personality. I am so thankful for this medicine that my daughter can continue her active life seizure free.

July 15, 2014 6:54 AM

Review by Father of Ayesha (taken for less than 1 month):

I am from Bahrain. My daughter is 4 years old, she got grand mal seizures and doctors prescribed her Keppra syrup (oral). Since 18 days no seizure but we feel side effects like mood changes and one time she had minor rashes appeared on her face but it went after 3 days. So far we are happy with Keppra and I hope and pray that it will treat her epilepsy.

June 6, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by unphazed:

I've been on Keppra for two years now, 500mg morning & 500mg evening. No side effects at all and no seizures since I started on it. Initially I had some tingling in my lips but that ended after a week or so, nothing since. Like the "animal alerts" I keep on my vehicles you can't tell if it works except for the absence of anything bad happening which in my case nothing has with either Keppra or the animal alerts so they both must work since before them I had one seizure and also hit a deer a moose and some rodents who darted out in front of me but no longer do. I checked for interactions of all medications and would advise anyone with a bad reaction to any med to do so as well.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 11:24 AM

Review by Joncb:

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 23. I am now 35 I was put on Tegretol 500mg twice a day. For 2 years my life was a nightmare I still got seizures and double vision everyday. I was then prescribed 500mg of Keppra twice daily along with the Tegretol. The double vision went completely and I found that I only have 1 or 2 seizures max a year, this is usually because of lack of sleep or forgetting to take my medicines. Yes I find my attention span is not great sometimes along with tiredness and mood swings. The positives for me outweigh the negatives. Good luck in finding what suits you best.

January 31, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by KarenHG (taken for 5 to 10 years):

It works most of the time. I developed epilepsy when I was almost 60 years old and the first medication I took gave me horrible headaches. This works, but it also can give me diarhea and when that happens and the medicine doesn't stay in my body long enough to work, I can have mild attacks. Sometimes I have the mild, brief attacks even when the medicine stays in me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2013 11:10 AM

Review by Renatajbn:

I had surgery for a benign brain tumor over 8 yrs. ago; Gamma Knife radiation surgery 3 yrs. ago. The Gamma Knife surgery left me with scar tissue that caused me to have my first partial seizure. This required me to remain on seizure medication, levetiracetam. To prevent recurrent seizures, I was on a dose of 1,000 mg./ 2x's day. I was on this dosage for over 2 yrs. No seizures, but side effects crept up slowly: bad memory loss, difficulty finding words, fatigue, weight gain. Then, the intolerable ones: deep depression, mood swings, crazy flip-out anger. It just kept getting worse, until I couldn't wait to get off of it! My doctor called it the "Keppra Rage". I guess this is well- known side effect that I could not tolerate.

November 20, 2013 9:25 PM

Review by Jonathan's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My son had his first seizure at 18 yrs old. He has a brain injury from birth and very mild cerebral palsy affecting his right side. Went to ER and was referred to neurologist. Did a CT scan, blood work, EEG all normal except the injury to brain which showed no changes in size or concern. Was told not to drive for three months CA law. Was put on Keppra 500mg morning and night total 1000mg. Has not had a seizure and we will be following up with the neurologist in 2 days to have his driving privileges reinstated with DMV. Very hard for him not being able to drive and having someone else do it. Regarding side affects none. Has taken medicine every day. Neurologist did say we will re evaluate stopping the medicne in 2ys.

November 9, 2013 2:59 PM

Review by Newport620 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given one dose of keppra as a precaution because I had a "spell" that I'm not sure was a seizure or just a bad anxiety attack. It made be feel dreadful: dizzy, depressed, weepy, spaced out. It's been nearly 36 hours since I took it and I'm still feeling not quite right. Horrible stuff. I had an EEG and it was normal. I wish the doctor had waited with the med until the results of the EEG, CatScan and MRI.

November 1, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by Kitty rea:

Been on Keppra for 1 month. No seizures but very tired, depressed and angry. 500mg morning, 500mg evening.

August 26, 2013 7:29 PM

Review by JJHarvey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started taking Keppa (750mg twice daily) alongside Lamictal (250mg twice daily) as the latter medicine was not 100% efficient to control partial seizures. Although the Keppra seems to have stopped the seizures completely, there are many side effects to be aware of. Drowsiness, tiredness and irritability/moodiness are extremely common, so that is often a downer, especially when you're trying to enjoy yourself. Depression is difficult to identify as dwelling on the side effects on the leaflet only makes you feel worse! Overall, an effective medicine for treating epilepsy but I had many bad side effects.

July 20, 2013 8:52 AM

Review by NDfan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

46 yr old male. Over 3 month period experienced 3 auras and finally the first seizure in January '13. Prescribed Keppra by neurologist. 500mg x2 daily. Not a hint of seizure activity since being placed on this medicine. However, I do experience some tiredness (mild). Otherwise leading a very normal life style.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2013 8:51 PM

Review by Ponyo:

I'm French and am 28 years old. I had my first seizure in 2009. My neurologist gave me Lamotrigine for 2 years, from 100mg daily at the beginning to 400mg at the end. The frequency of seizures has been reduced but I still had some. I arrived in USA in 2011 and my new neurologist prescribed me Keppra because I wanted to have a new medication, more efficient. I take 500mg twice daily. I don't have any seizure since I started this medication, so more than one year now. I'm very satisfied so far, but of course I have side effects and it's sometimes very difficult to deal with. I'm very tired all day long, I need to sleep at least 8 hours every night. I'm like bipolar, sometimes euphoric, sometimes very depressed. I'm a different person now.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2013 6:48 PM

Review by falisamarie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am so glad I found this forum! My husband was on Dilantin and it was working well but a few years ago his Dr switched him to Keppra because it was newer. He started having severe depression and mood swings to a point where they diagnosed him with Bipolar. The depression has been getting worse and worse to a point where we almost hospitalized him because I was afraid he may hurt himself. Today I spoke with his mental health provider and asked about trying Depakote and decided to come home and research if he could take both. After reading the reviews I am 100% convinced that it is the Keppra causing his depression and I am taking him to the Dr Monday to have him put back on Dilantin!

February 22, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by Really bad Hives (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It gave me hives that took me well over 4 months to get rid of once I quit taking it. The hives were so painful.

December 21, 2012 9:10 PM

Review by mrb62 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have a brain tumor. I've been on 1500mg/day since Feb 2011. I had a gran-mal seizure in the middle of the night. First seizure, first indication of the brain tumor. Haven't had a seizure since. Radiation took care of the tumor. Have not experienced any of the side-effects that most other people comment on other than occasional constipation. My dreams seem to be more vivid and realistic than before. I'm 50 in two months.

September 3, 2012 12:11 PM

Review by Slokey43 (taken for less than 1 month):

Horrible side effects immediately. Could not finish a sentence, felt drunk and tired.

July 29, 2012 5:52 PM

Review by LifeIsGood_44:

After a motor vehicle accident in 2008 I started having seizures. (grand mal) I just started on Keppra 3 1/2 months ago. 1000mg in the morning and again evening. I also take Gabapentin. 300mg 3 times a day. I haven't had a seizure since. (yay!) Not only that, but I feel 'alert' and I don't feel tired. The Gabapentin can make me feel a little sleepy, but after taking it in the afternoon I immediately take a walk outside or take a 20 minute power nap and then I feel great. I haven't had the side effects of mood swings or feeling tired or depressed. I didn't even realize before I started taking Keppra how "out of it" I felt at times. I'd gotten so used to feeling tired and 'unclear' in my head. Now that I'm on Keppra, I feel 'alive' again!

February 23, 2012 2:06 PM

Review by Angeliz:

In April 2010 I was went into Grand mal seizures which was found to be due to brain cancer. After surgery and sent home I was put on Keppra. As of Feb 2012 I have not had a seizure since but I have found this medicine makes me very tired and I itch all over all the time. I was taking 500mg in the morning and 500 in the evening. Then we changed it to 1000mg in the evening and none in the morning. I find it very hard to get motivated in the mornings. I want to stay in bed and sleep. I take antidepressants but I'm not depressed or crying. I had been and they felt under the circumstances I need to stay on the antidpressant. We tried changing it and I still stayed very tired and that is why I am sure its the Keppra making me so tired. Otherwise Kuddos.

February 16, 2012 12:21 PM

I've been taking this medicine since December 2009, and I haven't had a seizure while taking it. I've doubled my dose according to my doctor's instructions since then and am now taking 3000 mg/day, the max adult dose. I've noticed an increase in anxiety and severe anxiety symptoms since beginning Keppra, but other than that it's been a great medicine.

November 16, 2011 9:29 PM

Review by jl2470:

Have been on Keppra for about 8 months now. Only one seizure, but the side effects are getting to me. Depressed, irritable, weight gain. Neurologist has added a antidepressant to see if that helps. Just wish the medication was cheaper.

September 24, 2011 7:50 PM

I'd been having partial seizures every 2 wks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became very depressed, suicidal, and uninterested in anything. About 2yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizures now come more frequently and randomly.

August 15, 2011 6:45 PM

I have currently started taking Keppra for the last week and a half. I have experienced numbness and tingling throughout my whole body, along with what feels like electrical impulse shocks. I'm tired all the time, trouble sleeping. I can only hope that these side effects will cease because the side effects are making me feel really bad, just the same way as I did with Dilantin I was taking.

July 14, 2011 10:15 AM

Review by apivom:

I've been on 500mg 2x/day for 5 years. Keppra controlled the seizures immediately the day I started it but I did experience extreme drowsiness and can sleep for days. People always told me I looked tired and knew I was always sleepy. I also got very moody and am easily irritated to the point where no one wants to be around me. I didn't think that it could be linked to the medication until now. It's a terrible feeling but it does control the seizures.

July 2, 2011 4:31 PM

Review by Bob Newport:

I have been taking Keppra for 4 years. When I keep up with 2000mg dose daily I rarely have seizures anymore. When I go off the medicines they come back. I would have to say it does the trick with minimal side effects.

June 30, 2011 3:38 AM