User Reviews for Keppra

Learn more about Keppra.

Keppra review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 68 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Keppra to treat Seizures

Review by Joncb: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 23. I am now 35 I was put on Tegretol 500mg twice a day. For 2 years my life was a nightmare I still got seizures and double vision everyday. I was then prescribed 500mg of Keppra twice daily along with the Tegretol. The double vision went completely and I found that I only have 1 or 2 seizures max a year, this is usually because of lack of sleep or forgetting to take my medicines. Yes I find my attention span is not great sometimes along with tiredness and mood swings. The positives for me outweigh the negatives. Good luck in finding what suits you best.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 31, 2014 1:40 PM
Review by KarenHG (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

It works most of the time. I developed epilepsy when I was almost 60 years old and the first medication I took gave me horrible headaches. This works, but it also can give me diarhea and when that happens and the medicine doesn't stay in my body long enough to work, I can have mild attacks. Sometimes I have the mild, brief attacks even when the medicine stays in me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 2, 2013 11:10 AM
Review by Renatajbn: User Rating:

I had surgery for a benign brain tumor over 8 yrs. ago; Gamma Knife radiation surgery 3 yrs. ago. The Gamma Knife surgery left me with scar tissue that caused me to have my first partial seizure. This required me to remain on seizure medication, levetiracetam. To prevent recurrent seizures, I was on a dose of 1,000 mg./ 2x's day. I was on this dosage for over 2 yrs. No seizures, but side effects crept up slowly: bad memory loss, difficulty finding words, fatigue, weight gain. Then, the intolerable ones: deep depression, mood swings, crazy flip-out anger. It just kept getting worse, until I couldn't wait to get off of it! My doctor called it the "Keppra Rage". I guess this is well- known side effect that I could not tolerate.

November 20, 2013 9:25 PM
Review by Jonathan's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

My son had his first seizure at 18 yrs old. He has a brain injury from birth and very mild cerebral palsy affecting his right side. Went to ER and was referred to neurologist. Did a CT scan, blood work, EEG all normal except the injury to brain which showed no changes in size or concern. Was told not to drive for three months CA law. Was put on Keppra 500mg morning and night total 1000mg. Has not had a seizure and we will be following up with the neurologist in 2 days to have his driving privileges reinstated with DMV. Very hard for him not being able to drive and having someone else do it. Regarding side affects none. Has taken medicine every day. Neurologist did say we will re evaluate stopping the medicne in 2ys.

November 9, 2013 2:59 PM
Review by Newport620 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was given one dose of keppra as a precaution because I had a "spell" that I'm not sure was a seizure or just a bad anxiety attack. It made be feel dreadful: dizzy, depressed, weepy, spaced out. It's been nearly 36 hours since I took it and I'm still feeling not quite right. Horrible stuff. I had an EEG and it was normal. I wish the doctor had waited with the med until the results of the EEG, CatScan and MRI.

November 1, 2013 5:29 PM
Review by Kitty rea:

Been on Keppra for 1 month. No seizures but very tired, depressed and angry. 500mg morning, 500mg evening.

August 26, 2013 7:29 PM
Review by JJHarvey (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Started taking Keppa (750mg twice daily) alongside Lamictal (250mg twice daily) as the latter medicine was not 100% efficient to control partial seizures. Although the Keppra seems to have stopped the seizures completely, there are many side effects to be aware of. Drowsiness, tiredness and irritability/moodiness are extremely common, so that is often a downer, especially when you're trying to enjoy yourself. Depression is difficult to identify as dwelling on the side effects on the leaflet only makes you feel worse! Overall, an effective medicine for treating epilepsy but I had many bad side effects.

July 20, 2013 8:52 AM
Review by NDfan (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

46 yr old male. Over 3 month period experienced 3 auras and finally the first seizure in January '13. Prescribed Keppra by neurologist. 500mg x2 daily. Not a hint of seizure activity since being placed on this medicine. However, I do experience some tiredness (mild). Otherwise leading a very normal life style.

April 30, 2013 8:51 PM
Review by Ponyo: User Rating:

I'm French and am 28 years old. I had my first seizure in 2009. My neurologist gave me Lamotrigine for 2 years, from 100mg daily at the beginning to 400mg at the end. The frequency of seizures has been reduced but I still had some. I arrived in USA in 2011 and my new neurologist prescribed me Keppra because I wanted to have a new medication, more efficient. I take 500mg twice daily. I don't have any seizure since I started this medication, so more than one year now. I'm very satisfied so far, but of course I have side effects and it's sometimes very difficult to deal with. I'm very tired all day long, I need to sleep at least 8 hours every night. I'm like bipolar, sometimes euphoric, sometimes very depressed. I'm a different person now.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2013 6:48 PM
Review by falisamarie (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I am so glad I found this forum! My husband was on Dilantin and it was working well but a few years ago his Dr switched him to Keppra because it was newer. He started having severe depression and mood swings to a point where they diagnosed him with Bipolar. The depression has been getting worse and worse to a point where we almost hospitalized him because I was afraid he may hurt himself. Today I spoke with his mental health provider and asked about trying Depakote and decided to come home and research if he could take both. After reading the reviews I am 100% convinced that it is the Keppra causing his depression and I am taking him to the Dr Monday to have him put back on Dilantin!

February 22, 2013 11:24 PM
Review by Really bad Hives (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

It gave me hives that took me well over 4 months to get rid of once I quit taking it. The hives were so painful.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 21, 2012 9:10 PM
Review by mrb62 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have a brain tumor. I've been on 1500mg/day since Feb 2011. I had a gran-mal seizure in the middle of the night. First seizure, first indication of the brain tumor. Haven't had a seizure since. Radiation took care of the tumor. Have not experienced any of the side-effects that most other people comment on other than occasional constipation. My dreams seem to be more vivid and realistic than before. I'm 50 in two months.

September 3, 2012 12:11 PM
Review by Slokey43 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Horrible side effects immediately. Could not finish a sentence, felt drunk and tired.

July 29, 2012 5:52 PM
Review by LifeIsGood_44: User Rating:

After a motor vehicle accident in 2008 I started having seizures. (grand mal) I just started on Keppra 3 1/2 months ago. 1000mg in the morning and again evening. I also take Gabapentin. 300mg 3 times a day. I haven't had a seizure since. (yay!) Not only that, but I feel 'alert' and I don't feel tired. The Gabapentin can make me feel a little sleepy, but after taking it in the afternoon I immediately take a walk outside or take a 20 minute power nap and then I feel great. I haven't had the side effects of mood swings or feeling tired or depressed. I didn't even realize before I started taking Keppra how "out of it" I felt at times. I'd gotten so used to feeling tired and 'unclear' in my head. Now that I'm on Keppra, I feel 'alive' again!

February 23, 2012 2:06 PM
Review by Angeliz: User Rating:

In April 2010 I was went into Grand mal seizures which was found to be due to brain cancer. After surgery and sent home I was put on Keppra. As of Feb 2012 I have not had a seizure since but I have found this medicine makes me very tired and I itch all over all the time. I was taking 500mg in the morning and 500 in the evening. Then we changed it to 1000mg in the evening and none in the morning. I find it very hard to get motivated in the mornings. I want to stay in bed and sleep. I take antidepressants but I'm not depressed or crying. I had been and they felt under the circumstances I need to stay on the antidpressant. We tried changing it and I still stayed very tired and that is why I am sure its the Keppra making me so tired. Otherwise Kuddos.

February 16, 2012 12:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking this medicine since December 2009, and I haven't had a seizure while taking it. I've doubled my dose according to my doctor's instructions since then and am now taking 3000 mg/day, the max adult dose. I've noticed an increase in anxiety and severe anxiety symptoms since beginning Keppra, but other than that it's been a great medicine.

November 16, 2011 9:29 PM
Review by jl2470: User Rating:

Have been on Keppra for about 8 months now. Only one seizure, but the side effects are getting to me. Depressed, irritable, weight gain. Neurologist has added a antidepressant to see if that helps. Just wish the medication was cheaper.

September 24, 2011 7:50 PM

I'd been having partial seizures every 2 wks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became very depressed, suicidal, and uninterested in anything. About 2yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizures now come more frequently and randomly.

August 15, 2011 6:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have currently started taking Keppra for the last week and a half. I have experienced numbness and tingling throughout my whole body, along with what feels like electrical impulse shocks. I'm tired all the time, trouble sleeping. I can only hope that these side effects will cease because the side effects are making me feel really bad, just the same way as I did with Dilantin I was taking.

July 14, 2011 10:15 AM
Review by apivom: User Rating:

I've been on 500mg 2x/day for 5 years. Keppra controlled the seizures immediately the day I started it but I did experience extreme drowsiness and can sleep for days. People always told me I looked tired and knew I was always sleepy. I also got very moody and am easily irritated to the point where no one wants to be around me. I didn't think that it could be linked to the medication until now. It's a terrible feeling but it does control the seizures.

July 2, 2011 4:31 PM
Review by Bob Newport: User Rating:

I have been taking Keppra for 4 years. When I keep up with 2000mg dose daily I rarely have seizures anymore. When I go off the medicines they come back. I would have to say it does the trick with minimal side effects.

June 30, 2011 3:38 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

My daughter is 5 years old diagnosed with CP when she was 2 and had her first seizure March of 2010. Her neurologist put her on Keppra and for a year she didn't have any seizure. March of this year she had a grand mal seizure and we had to take her twice to the ER. We found out she had RSV and it triggered her seizures. They say it will take 2-3 weeks to clear the virus and the seizure should go away too. Unfortunately for over a month now she is still having seizures almost everyday, sometimes in the morning and at night. We were given Diastat to help with her seizures and also increased the dose of her Keppra, but nothing seems to work anymore.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2011 3:11 AM
Review by Dannie dee: User Rating:

I have only been on keepra for about a month but I'm noticing mood swings, shakiness and medicines make me sleep a lot. I haven't had another seizure thank god but the mood swings are awful. I hope after I have my brain tumor removed things get better.

April 11, 2011 7:50 PM
Review by arc1964: User Rating:

I have been on many anti-epileptic medicines over the course of 30 years: Dilantin, Mysoline, Klonopin, Depakote, Topamax, Lamictal, etc. While Keppra did a good job of controlling the myoclonic jerks which I often experience, it was way too sedating when combined with Topamax. It wasn't uncommon for me to sleep twelve hours a day. The real problem with Keppra was the mood swings, depression, anger and suicidal thoughts. It's no secret that a link exists between epilepsy/seizure disorders and some (all) of these issues; however, in my case these feelings and emotions definitely intensified while taking Keppra.

March 20, 2011 1:05 AM
Review by offtheshelf: User Rating:

After thirty plus years unable to control nocturnal seizures with Dilantin, Tegretol and now, Tegretol XR I now take 500MG of Keppra twice daily plus the XR and am controlled night and day with no noticeable side effects. This has lasted for the last six years. I am very pleased and glad to get rid of those nocturnal seizures with their after effects. The difficult part is the cost of the non-generic, especially as I get older.

January 19, 2011 4:50 PM