User Reviews for Keppra

Learn more about Keppra.

Keppra Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 68 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Keppra to treat Seizures

"After a stroke in 2005 I had seizures until starting with Keppra @ 500mg bid, now i'm up to 1000 twice a day, and haven't been bothered by any side effects at all. I'm glad that it is available as a generic, now- I use Levetiracetam, only $4 a month as opposed to the $720 a month Keppra was until recently."

Coffee luver February 3, 2016

"I wish I could tell you what it is like after my husband STOPS taking Keprra. For my husband and I this has been worse than his hit to the head. Major mood swings,can't sleep, can't eat, anxiety and more. It has been horrible. The thing is everybody is different, but if you are taking Keppra and these are happening to you speak with your doctor asap and try something else. It has been hard!!!!"

Anonymous January 28, 2016

"Falling asleep most of the day and feeling zonked out, they do help but there must be a kinder drug they could use on us. Also I am grumpy but then that could be me. xx"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

"Stopped seizures, caused strange behavior and severe depression."

Eli Manning January 9, 2016

"I had my first seizure in 04/04/14 whilst driving and they found that I had epilepsy. The neurologist put me on keppra. It is by far the best drug I've had to take. Initially it was a pain as I was always angry, depressed because I lost my Driving Licence and tired all the time. All I wanted to do was sleep. However, once it took this medication after 6 months, the side effects wore off and I was getting back to my old self again. Happy and all that. I once forgot to take my tablets for 2 days. I had a seizure. Biggest mistake I've made. I always remember to take my tablets now. I'm fit free now. Please take your tablets. They do help."

Ronakm1987 December 16, 2015

"I had my first seizure February 2014 and was prescribed Keppra. I took it for a while and experienced all the symptoms as everyone else: depression, fatigue, mood swings, hallucinations, etc. You name it I had it. I had no energy and all I could do was sleep. I got tired of living like that and one day decided to stop taking them, bad move. It was fine for 4 days, I was energized and happy but on that day I had another seizure. I told my doctor and he changed my prescription to Trileptal. I have been on it since that day and the only side effect I think I have would be hair thinning."

Dia Mond (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

"I am 16, I have had Juvenille Myoclonic Epilepsy for almost 2 years now and have been on keppra ever since. I experienced some weight loss, extreme depression, hallucinations, and memory loss. I've only had one other grand mal seizure while on this and I do not jerk anymore. Though it works I wish I felt alive and awake during normal daily tasks. If you can seek other medications for physiological and behavioral reasons, I suggest it."

JME girl November 1, 2015

"Will keppra help you come out of a seizure?!?"

Jennie23 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

"Made me more aggressive lost nearly 50% of my friends on facebook while on this. Caused me to lose contact with several family members after they saw my anger from being on this. Product should be off the market!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

"My fiance (22 yrs old, 130 lbs) has been on Keppra combined with Vimpat for over a year and he has had very bad mood swings, weight loss, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, depression, and irritability/quick temper. We are trying to find out if there is another medication he can take in combination with these to help combat the side effects, or if someone has found another med that works as well with less severe side effects, seeing this is the only med that has helped his seizures so far (diagnosed at 17) Anyone else with a similar problem, or know what might help?"

Nkap (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2015

"I have all side effects and I have to talk to my doctor about taking it . I take 1000mg twice a day. It's crazy. I hate having to take this."

Nikkie4420gmail.com (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

"I was on decadron and vimpat (Lacosamide, another anticonvulsant), and I'm pretty sure the vimpat was compounding the side effects of the decadron (mood swings, weight gain, blood sugar issues ('m also diabetic).Plus, I was still having seizures, especially whed I tried to work out (mostly running, but sometimes on an elliptical machine. I asked to be put back on the keppra I had taken for 6 months prior to being moved to the vimpat. I've been able to run again, and am having fewer seizures (although had one this morning after doing the ADA diabetes step out 23 mile walk and sprinting the last half mile to get to a restroom. I definitely feel like the keppra is more effective against seizures, still, and doesn't compound the side-effects "

TonyB1969 October 3, 2015

"My 2 year old grandson was drop falling constantly every 2/3 min. He already was taking toprimate and onfi. We started koppra and the falling decrease with one dosage. three days now and no falls, no shakes or jerks."

319s September 12, 2015

"I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 17 and was prescribed Dilantin. I was having grand mal seizures and it was working ok. When I was 22 I moved to Florida and saw a new neurologist and he said Dilantin was an old drug and put me on keppra. I'm taking 1500mg twice a day and I'm having more grand mal seizures and partial complex zone outs. Keppra has not helped at all and I'm going to a new doctor for a different opinion on what to take."

Kevin Heidegger September 5, 2015

"I am 37 years old and have had Petit Mal Seizures since I was 2 Years old. My seizures were always controlled on Epival. However, this drug isn't safe during pregnancy so my Dr prescribed me Keppra (500mg) before we staring to try for a baby. Keppra works well for me to control the Petit Mal Seizures. However, it has really bad side effects. It made me extremely tired and quite moody. The worse part about this medication it caused me to have 2 Grand Mal Seizures (10w and 18 w). Before these 2 seizures I have never had a Grand Mal before. I am now off of Keppra and on Lamotrigine and feel great. I have energy and feel like myself again. Best of all no Grand Mal seizures!"

CKLADY (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"I had my first seizure when I was 13 years old. It scared my parents and I to death. After that I started experiancing seizures every month. Almost all of my seizures (except 3) have happened while I am asleep. I am 29 now and all the EEGs and EKGs come back normal. I have been taking Keppra now for 6 months and I have not had any Grand Mal seizures. I take 1000 mg everynight after dinner and I make it a point to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. I have not experienced any mood swings or depression. The good definitely out ways the bad.... Many blessings"

Chris956 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

"I've been on keppra for about a year now. I am not the same person I use to be. I have lost motivation to do anything. I can't retain information. I introduce myself to people I already know because I can't remember anything even things I learned years ago. The worst part is I still have seizures. They just keep increasing the dose. I'm up to 1500mg twice a day."

Jontabor June 18, 2015

"My daughter just started this medicine and she is still having seizures. Before the seizures were not happening during the as often, now it is happening more frequently. I still yet to see any real good results..."

Alfmann June 16, 2015

"My husband is 35 yrs old and had his first seizure in 03/15 right before a medical procedure for a shot in his back due to pain. He has an extreme phobia of needles and seized before they did the procedure for his back. The doctors believe it was due to extreme stress but then a month and a half later while at work he had another seizure. The neurologist started him on Keppra and he has been on it for a little over a month. He hasn't experienced another seizure but the medication is making him extremely depressed, he seems drunk/high from it, can't walk straight, speech is slurred, eyes glossy, memory loss. I don't even feel like he is even my husband anymore because it has made him so spacey."

WorriedinCO June 5, 2015

"I'm 63 now using Keppra (levetiracetam) 500 mg has been a good choice by my neurologist for approximately 5 yrs. I take 750 mg at bed time and it has worked well. My insurance covers Keppra but levetiracetam is more affordable and has worked for me."

With Prayer May 18, 2015

"I began using generic Zeppra in 10/14 after four seizures, 500 mg in the am and pm. There were abnormalities in my EEG. No seizures but very sleepy and sluggish during the day and weight gain. Neurologist changed medication one Zeppra extended release three weeks ago and now I'm losing my hair. I'm calling the neurologist to see what we can do."

Mariel's April 12, 2015

"I hate this medication! Yes it controls my seizures but it makes me a horrible human being. It causes me to be mean, moody, and angry.I would almost rather have the seizures than have these horrible side effects. next neurologist appointment I am begging for a different medication. And not dilantin or gabapentin either. Both those have given me nasty side effects as well.but what works for one does not necessarily mean it will work for another. Good luck to those of you who are taking this medication. I pray that the side effects are not as bad for you as they were for me."

Kris78 April 9, 2015

"I'm over 65 male, in my youth I suffered several head injuries some of these were diagnosed as concussion. I was involved in a motor accident in 2000 with a severe head injury. Soon thereafter I started to have auras followed by migraines. In 2010 I started having mycolonic jerks that would awaken me at 3/4 times at night. In 2013 the jerks became so severe I visited a neurosurgeon, after scans etc I was diagnosed with Partial Epilepsy. In march 2014 I had a seizure in my sleep. Taken to hospital and put on Keppra by the neurosurgeon.I take 750mg at night and 500 in the morning. Auras and migraines have decreased,but my mood swings have been getting worse,changed personality, overreaction,I feel like I'm bipolar its affecting my marriage."

New Peronality February 21, 2015

"I'm 55/ male and recently experienced a seizure during a visit at an MD clinic upon falling from the cart I was on and striking my head, I then had a subsequent episode two weeks later. I was started on Keppra 500mg twice daily, It has now been almost a week and since starting my appetite has tanked, I have had profound anxiety attacks,and insomnia along with occasional emotional lability, Also ataxia when walking. Don't know if I wanted to continue this, but will speak with my neurologist next week."

Greg1110 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

"My daughter was put on Keppra when she was 14 months old & she walked like she was drunk after she started on it. The doctor said not to ever give her Keppra again!!"

Triplett77 November 21, 2014