User Reviews for Keppra

Learn more about Keppra.

Keppra review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Keppra to treat Epilepsy

Review by Amyjanecunningham (taken for less than 1 month):

Keppra seemed to stop my seizures for my mild epilepsy however the side effects were so bad that I stopped taking it after 3 weeks. The worst side effect was suicidal depression. Prior to taking Keppra I did not suffer depression. I'm back on Epilim now.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by JHodges (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Keppra for 2 years taking 3000mg per day along with 400mg a day of Vimpat and I am still having at least 2 a week. They put in a VNS in Oct, 2013 and I am still having them. I just am having some side effects like... falling, dizziness and being ill if something is said in the wrong tone. I hope that make sense. I just get aggravated easy and I just can't get rid of my headaches.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by Brandonnnnnnn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had my first seizure over 3 years ago at the age of 23. Upon receiving a MRI scan I learned that I had a brain tumor called pleomorfic xantro Astro sytoma. After having it removed I was put on Keppra XR 1500mg twice a day and have been seizure free ever since. However recently I have been having new side effects appear. At first the only side effect I had was exhaustion and occasional insomnia however over the past two weeks I have had tingling sensations on my scalp and bouts of vertigo and I am very scared about what this could mean I hope everyone else is doing well.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2014 1:15 PM

My daughter is 4 and started having seizures 9 months ago. She has been on Keppra since then. Overall it has worked to control but not completely prevent her seizures. It has stopped them from spreading to her whole body but she still has them in her face about once a month even though her dose has been increased several times and she is now taking 7 mls twice a day. The side effects now are not as bad as when she first started this medicine. Since she has been on it however she has not had as good of an appetite and some days she wont eat at all. Her sleeping habits have been irregular as well. Some times she freaks out and starts biting anything she can. She doesn't talk so she can't tell me how she feels.

December 21, 2013 5:40 PM

Review by Lizzeh (taken for less than 1 month):

I just had my third seizure and I was switched from Topamax to Keppra. I find that this medicine makes me hyper and then extremely tired. I am 18 years of age and I experience the depression side effect and almost all of the side effects. Really wanting to find a right balance.

July 28, 2013 12:33 AM

Review by maceygray (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on Keppra for 10 months. After 45 years on Dilantin my liver was being poisoned. Dilantin worked as far as controlling seizures. Keppra has worked so far but I have insomnia and no appetite.

July 16, 2013 7:31 AM

Review by Saab97 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The only few problems consists of drowsiness which is better than having seizures. Another important issue is dosing. You most take every days worth or it can lead to an aura or a full fledged seizure which can effect drivers licences (loss of 2 years).

June 24, 2013 7:31 AM

Review by Marriage Doc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After EEG showed seizure activity, Neurologist started me on 500mg/day Keppra. At the 4 hr mark, I felt very spaced out. Couldn't think, hazy, slurring speech, lethargic, etc. Neuro suggested I start taking at night, so that I could "sleep through" the odd feeling. Now, I WAKE up at the 4 hr mark... on the dot, every single night. I still feel spaced out, and find it hard to get comfortable and fall back asleep. Takes me about an hour to fall back asleep. Sleep disturbances cause me to feel tired during day.

May 28, 2013 12:34 PM

Review by EKR15 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking Keppra 500MG twice a day 2 weeks ago after being hospitalized for a tonic-clonic seizure lasting about a half hour. Since I started taking the 500MG, I used to fall asleep for more than 8 hours at a time. I've gotten a few headaches, but nothing as serious as the ones I used to get before. My reaction/talking/thinking time was definitely slowed down, but its improved a lot. The first week I used to sleep the whole night through, now its reversed where I can't stay asleep all night. I noticed my mood has changed and mostly for the worse (angry all the time). Really frustrating to adjust to but hoping for the best. Seizure-free so far!

March 28, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by User123k:

I had my first seizure when I was 17 (now 23). I always wanted to be on a medications that was safe so one day when I had a family. And now have my family with a healthy boy. I do have to say I was having the depression, I was having dizzy spills and really bad headaches. But I talked to my doctor he lowered my dose and gave me Topamax to take with it. And now my headaches are gone. It is very hard to actually to find the right medication for yourself. I wish you all the best!

January 17, 2013 2:48 PM

Review by Vanessa1148:

I am on a very small dose for epilepsy 250mg twice a day. It has made me quite tired, but apart from that there's been no problems. I only have a couple of seizures a year so hopefully this low dose will keep me seizure free.

March 10, 2012 5:27 AM

Review by mone:

I started having seizures about 3 years ago. Found out I had a tumor on my left temporal lobe. Started taking carbamazepine, it worked for about a month or two but I started having seizures again. That's when my doctor put me on keppra and I haven't had a seizure since. Thanks keppra!

January 1, 2012 11:52 AM

Review by lmfao1!:

My wonder medicine. I have stress induced epilepsy. I am highly allergic to Dilantin and Lamotrigine.

October 29, 2011 10:07 PM

Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX:

I have been a epileptic for 16 years, and this is the best medication I have ever taken. I have no side effects and I was able to have my son on this medication.

October 11, 2011 10:52 PM

Review by Kennybozzle:

I have had grand mal seizures since I was 9 years old and was involved in a car accident. I have taken Dilantin for over 50 years, with good results. It has controlled my seizures pretty well until recently. I was diagnosed with COPD 2 years ago, and in that time, I have been having seizures every 3-6 months. My doctor switched me to Keppra 6 months ago, and in that time, I have had at least 1 seizure a month. I think it's time to switch back to what works.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2011 5:11 PM

Stopped partial seizures, continue to have grand mal.

May 31, 2011 10:22 PM

Review by Dim:

This medication works pretty well for my son, but for the price.

February 1, 2011 6:02 PM

Review by lonely:

I use phenytoin for 3 years. Been seizure free. Helps me sleep well.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2011 9:16 AM

Review by RobertLeeT:

Started off using Keppra with Tegretol, and at the regular 500mg dose per day. Later upped to 1000MG per day. Once they removed my Tegretol dose, I began to have violent seizures. Now I have Tegretol back and my dosage of Keppra was doubled again. Now at 2000mg per day. I'm now depressed, tired, nauseated, and don't really want to eat at all. I'll have to talk to my doctor about changing my medication.

July 27, 2010 1:56 AM

Review by bk16:

I have epilepsy the cause is unknown. I have been on Depakote, Lamictal and up until recently Keppra. I'm experiencing extreme mood swings and migraines. Hope it goes away have only been taking it for a week.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2010 3:58 PM

I've been taking Keppra for almost 3 years for JME. Fortunately it has stopped the seizures but I do get a lot of headaches, which my doctor dismisses whenever I mention them. Other than that I am happy to continue using this medication.

January 8, 2010 9:02 AM

I took Dilantin for over 20 years and always felt tired. I regularly had seizures 2-3 times a year while taking this medicine. My doctor took me off Dilantin and I transitioned to Levetiracetam (Keppra) because long term use of Dilantin can promote osteoporosis. I have been seizure free ever since and experience no side effects. I also feel more energy as a result of getting off Dilantin.

November 9, 2009 2:11 PM

I started on Keppra before I got pregnant, I was on a large dose of Epilim, and it would not be safe for me to be pregnant on such a large dose therefore my neurologist reduced my Epilim dose to 500g twice a day and introduced Keppra 500mg twice a day. Thankfully my son was born healthy. Next week I am planning to start to come of Epilim gradually due to constant tiredness, irritability and agitation that is made worse from being on two medications. Will just be on Keppra, hope it works as I have been seizure free for 2 1/2 years. I have juvenile myocolonic epilepsy, and I have had epilepsy for 14 years but have only been controlled for 2 1/2 years Lamictal was a waste of time.

October 21, 2009 4:47 PM

Review by biancalm:

I have had epilepsy since age 13. My doctor put me on keppra and lamictal xr. It's only been a week and I have a lot of the same side effects you all are getting so I called my doctor and I'm going back to see him next week.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2009 9:07 AM

Review by Des13:

I started having seizures when I was 16 (I'm now 23), with no past family history. The cause of them are still unknown, and without medication I have one every 4-5 months while sleeping. My first anti-epileptic medication was Lamictal from which I suffered a severe rash. I started Keppra (500mg 2x daily) and haven't had a seizure since taking it (knock on wood). After two years of treatment, I came off from Keppra and had a seizure after 5 months without the medication. I'm back on it, and have been seizure-free for almost two years now. I do have side effects from Keppra though. I'm tired a lot, have mood swings, experience bouts of insomnia, headaches, and dizziness. Overall the medicine works well, but obviously would like to be off it.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2009 12:41 PM