User Reviews for Levetiracetam (Page 2)

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Levetiracetam Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 68 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 55/ male and recently experienced a seizure during a visit at an MD clinic upon falling from the cart I was on and striking my head, I then had a subsequent episode two weeks later. I was started on Keppra 500mg twice daily, It has now been almost a week and since starting my appetite has tanked, I have had profound anxiety attacks,and insomnia along with occasional emotional lability, Also ataxia when walking. Don't know if I wanted to continue this, but will speak with my neurologist next week."

Greg1110 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My daughter was put on Keppra when she was 14 months old & she walked like she was drunk after she started on it. The doctor said not to ever give her Keppra again!!"

Triplett77 November 21, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 25 had my first seizure at 24 and have now had my 4th seizure 11/11/14. I went against the doctor with taking medication as I had and EEG done and came up clear so thought it wouldn't be to serious. However now having 4 seizure I've started taking Keppra twice a day. I haven't been tired by the medication and still able to work well. However I'm starting to be early angered and annoyed and moody. What I would normally get swept under the carpet is now agitating me. I'm not enjoying it as I feel like being left alone and in my own space. "

Norbryn (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Started about 1 week ago. Was fine then all of sudden I started feeling really tired, restless. Nothing unusual. Now I have no appetite. Spaced out majority of the day. My mood swings are through the roof. And tonight I had a nightmare. Calling my doctor to see what to do."

DarthDerwin (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My 8 year old was put on Keppra for complex partial seizures. Except for some initial tiredness in the first two weeks she has had no side effects. She takes 250mg twice a day. She even won her age group in a 1mile race two weeks ago and her competitive soccer team won their soccer tournament this weekend thanks to some of the goals she scored. I have noticed no difference in her school work or personality. I am so thankful for this medicine that my daughter can continue her active life seizure free."

Soccerfamily July 15, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am from Bahrain. My daughter is 4 years old, she got grand mal seizures and doctors prescribed her Keppra syrup (oral). Since 18 days no seizure but we feel side effects like mood changes and one time she had minor rashes appeared on her face but it went after 3 days. So far we are happy with Keppra and I hope and pray that it will treat her epilepsy."

Father of Ayesha (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on Keppra for two years now, 500mg morning & 500mg evening. No side effects at all and no seizures since I started on it. Initially I had some tingling in my lips but that ended after a week or so, nothing since. Like the "animal alerts" I keep on my vehicles you can't tell if it works except for the absence of anything bad happening which in my case nothing has with either Keppra or the animal alerts so they both must work since before them I had one seizure and also hit a deer a moose and some rodents who darted out in front of me but no longer do. I checked for interactions of all medications and would advise anyone with a bad reaction to any med to do so as well."

unphazed May 24, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 23. I am now 35 I was put on Tegretol 500mg twice a day. For 2 years my life was a nightmare I still got seizures and double vision everyday. I was then prescribed 500mg of Keppra twice daily along with the Tegretol. The double vision went completely and I found that I only have 1 or 2 seizures max a year, this is usually because of lack of sleep or forgetting to take my medicines. Yes I find my attention span is not great sometimes along with tiredness and mood swings. The positives for me outweigh the negatives. Good luck in finding what suits you best."

Joncb January 31, 2014

"Had been experiencing tremors and finally had a seizure. Hospitalized, Given every test imaginable. All negative . Prescribed Keppra. Tremors gone and I believe I won't have seizures again. Dosage: 500 mg. twice daily"

zelskid1 December 15, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "It works most of the time. I developed epilepsy when I was almost 60 years old and the first medication I took gave me horrible headaches. This works, but it also can give me diarhea and when that happens and the medicine doesn't stay in my body long enough to work, I can have mild attacks. Sometimes I have the mild, brief attacks even when the medicine stays in me."

KarenHG (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 2, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I had surgery for a benign brain tumor over 8 yrs. ago; Gamma Knife radiation surgery 3 yrs. ago. The Gamma Knife surgery left me with scar tissue that caused me to have my first partial seizure. This required me to remain on seizure medication, levetiracetam. To prevent recurrent seizures, I was on a dose of 1,000 mg./ 2x's day. I was on this dosage for over 2 yrs. No seizures, but side effects crept up slowly: bad memory loss, difficulty finding words, fatigue, weight gain. Then, the intolerable ones: deep depression, mood swings, crazy flip-out anger. It just kept getting worse, until I couldn't wait to get off of it! My doctor called it the "Keppra Rage". I guess this is well- known side effect that I could not tolerate."

Renatajbn November 20, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My son had his first seizure at 18 yrs old. He has a brain injury from birth and very mild cerebral palsy affecting his right side. Went to ER and was referred to neurologist. Did a CT scan, blood work, EEG all normal except the injury to brain which showed no changes in size or concern. Was told not to drive for three months CA law. Was put on Keppra 500mg morning and night total 1000mg. Has not had a seizure and we will be following up with the neurologist in 2 days to have his driving privileges reinstated with DMV. Very hard for him not being able to drive and having someone else do it. Regarding side affects none. Has taken medicine every day. Neurologist did say we will re evaluate stopping the medicne in 2ys."

Jonathan's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2013

"Currently taking this medication also. Have told my doctor about side effects. Told me that "I must be taking it at the wrong". I had to show him issues from manufacture and from pharmacy. Changed dosages from twice a day to only once, but I have to eat a lot to get rid of the dizziness each morning. Feel that my issues were caused by drop in glucose levels, but doctor has stated that would not cause this also...."

Friday 13th (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was given one dose of keppra as a precaution because I had a "spell" that I'm not sure was a seizure or just a bad anxiety attack. It made be feel dreadful: dizzy, depressed, weepy, spaced out. It's been nearly 36 hours since I took it and I'm still feeling not quite right. Horrible stuff. I had an EEG and it was normal. I wish the doctor had waited with the med until the results of the EEG, CatScan and MRI."

Newport620 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2013

"I had two seizures prior to removal of a benign right frontal lobe brain tumor. I was initially placed on Keppra 1000 mg 2x/day. After a year, I went down to 750 mg and the following year 500 mg. My neurologist will keep me at 500 mg until I am 4 1/2 years from my surgery when he will take me to 250 mg for the final 6 months. At that point, he says I am just as likely to have a seizure as someone who has never had a seizure. I have no side effects from Keppra, but am looking forward to my 5 year mark when I will no longer have to take medication."

5455T (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Been on Keppra for 1 month. No seizures but very tired, depressed and angry. 500mg morning, 500mg evening. "

Kitty rea August 26, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Started taking Keppa (750mg twice daily) alongside Lamictal (250mg twice daily) as the latter medicine was not 100% efficient to control partial seizures. Although the Keppra seems to have stopped the seizures completely, there are many side effects to be aware of. Drowsiness, tiredness and irritability/moodiness are extremely common, so that is often a downer, especially when you're trying to enjoy yourself. Depression is difficult to identify as dwelling on the side effects on the leaflet only makes you feel worse! Overall, an effective medicine for treating epilepsy but I had many bad side effects."

JJHarvey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2013

"Focal seizure"

Sarief (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2013

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): "Partial seizure"

ILHAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "46 yr old male. Over 3 month period experienced 3 auras and finally the first seizure in January '13. Prescribed Keppra by neurologist. 500mg x2 daily. Not a hint of seizure activity since being placed on this medicine. However, I do experience some tiredness (mild). Otherwise leading a very normal life style."

NDfan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm French and am 28 years old. I had my first seizure in 2009. My neurologist gave me Lamotrigine for 2 years, from 100mg daily at the beginning to 400mg at the end. The frequency of seizures has been reduced but I still had some. I arrived in USA in 2011 and my new neurologist prescribed me Keppra because I wanted to have a new medication, more efficient. I take 500mg twice daily. I don't have any seizure since I started this medication, so more than one year now. I'm very satisfied so far, but of course I have side effects and it's sometimes very difficult to deal with. I'm very tired all day long, I need to sleep at least 8 hours every night. I'm like bipolar, sometimes euphoric, sometimes very depressed. I'm a different person now."

Ponyo March 20, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am so glad I found this forum! My husband was on Dilantin and it was working well but a few years ago his Dr switched him to Keppra because it was newer. He started having severe depression and mood swings to a point where they diagnosed him with Bipolar. The depression has been getting worse and worse to a point where we almost hospitalized him because I was afraid he may hurt himself. Today I spoke with his mental health provider and asked about trying Depakote and decided to come home and research if he could take both. After reading the reviews I am 100% convinced that it is the Keppra causing his depression and I am taking him to the Dr Monday to have him put back on Dilantin!"

falisamarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "It gave me hives that took me well over 4 months to get rid of once I quit taking it. The hives were so painful."

Really bad Hives (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have a brain tumor. I've been on 1500mg/day since Feb 2011. I had a gran-mal seizure in the middle of the night. First seizure, first indication of the brain tumor. Haven't had a seizure since. Radiation took care of the tumor. Have not experienced any of the side-effects that most other people comment on other than occasional constipation. My dreams seem to be more vivid and realistic than before. I'm 50 in two months."

mrb62 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Horrible side effects immediately. Could not finish a sentence, felt drunk and tired. "

Slokey43 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2012