User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Levetiracetam Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 65 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Been on Keppra for 1 month. No seizures but very tired, depressed and angry. 500mg morning, 500mg evening. "

Kitty rea August 26, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Started taking Keppa (750mg twice daily) alongside Lamictal (250mg twice daily) as the latter medicine was not 100% efficient to control partial seizures. Although the Keppra seems to have stopped the seizures completely, there are many side effects to be aware of. Drowsiness, tiredness and irritability/moodiness are extremely common, so that is often a downer, especially when you're trying to enjoy yourself. Depression is difficult to identify as dwelling on the side effects on the leaflet only makes you feel worse! Overall, an effective medicine for treating epilepsy but I had many bad side effects."

JJHarvey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2013

"Focal seizure"

Sarief (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2013

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): "Partial seizure"

ILHAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "46 yr old male. Over 3 month period experienced 3 auras and finally the first seizure in January '13. Prescribed Keppra by neurologist. 500mg x2 daily. Not a hint of seizure activity since being placed on this medicine. However, I do experience some tiredness (mild). Otherwise leading a very normal life style."

NDfan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm French and am 28 years old. I had my first seizure in 2009. My neurologist gave me Lamotrigine for 2 years, from 100mg daily at the beginning to 400mg at the end. The frequency of seizures has been reduced but I still had some. I arrived in USA in 2011 and my new neurologist prescribed me Keppra because I wanted to have a new medication, more efficient. I take 500mg twice daily. I don't have any seizure since I started this medication, so more than one year now. I'm very satisfied so far, but of course I have side effects and it's sometimes very difficult to deal with. I'm very tired all day long, I need to sleep at least 8 hours every night. I'm like bipolar, sometimes euphoric, sometimes very depressed. I'm a different person now."

Ponyo March 20, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am so glad I found this forum! My husband was on Dilantin and it was working well but a few years ago his Dr switched him to Keppra because it was newer. He started having severe depression and mood swings to a point where they diagnosed him with Bipolar. The depression has been getting worse and worse to a point where we almost hospitalized him because I was afraid he may hurt himself. Today I spoke with his mental health provider and asked about trying Depakote and decided to come home and research if he could take both. After reading the reviews I am 100% convinced that it is the Keppra causing his depression and I am taking him to the Dr Monday to have him put back on Dilantin!"

falisamarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "It gave me hives that took me well over 4 months to get rid of once I quit taking it. The hives were so painful."

Really bad Hives (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have a brain tumor. I've been on 1500mg/day since Feb 2011. I had a gran-mal seizure in the middle of the night. First seizure, first indication of the brain tumor. Haven't had a seizure since. Radiation took care of the tumor. Have not experienced any of the side-effects that most other people comment on other than occasional constipation. My dreams seem to be more vivid and realistic than before. I'm 50 in two months."

mrb62 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Horrible side effects immediately. Could not finish a sentence, felt drunk and tired. "

Slokey43 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "After a motor vehicle accident in 2008 I started having seizures. (grand mal) I just started on Keppra 3 1/2 months ago. 1000mg in the morning and again evening. I also take Gabapentin. 300mg 3 times a day. I haven't had a seizure since. (yay!) Not only that, but I feel 'alert' and I don't feel tired. The Gabapentin can make me feel a little sleepy, but after taking it in the afternoon I immediately take a walk outside or take a 20 minute power nap and then I feel great. I haven't had the side effects of mood swings or feeling tired or depressed. I didn't even realize before I started taking Keppra how "out of it" I felt at times. I'd gotten so used to feeling tired and 'unclear' in my head. Now that I'm on Keppra, I feel 'alive' again!"

LifeIsGood_44 February 23, 2012

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "In April 2010 I was went into Grand mal seizures which was found to be due to brain cancer. After surgery and sent home I was put on Keppra. As of Feb 2012 I have not had a seizure since but I have found this medicine makes me very tired and I itch all over all the time. I was taking 500mg in the morning and 500 in the evening. Then we changed it to 1000mg in the evening and none in the morning. I find it very hard to get motivated in the mornings. I want to stay in bed and sleep. I take antidepressants but I'm not depressed or crying. I had been and they felt under the circumstances I need to stay on the antidpressant. We tried changing it and I still stayed very tired and that is why I am sure its the Keppra making me so tired. Otherwise Kuddos."

Angeliz February 16, 2012

"Wish I was able to breast feed but otherwise have had no issues with it."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): "Never thought I would ever find a seizure medicine that worked. Keppra XR - THUMBS UP!"

noseiznow December 26, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been taking this medicine since December 2009, and I haven't had a seizure while taking it. I've doubled my dose according to my doctor's instructions since then and am now taking 3000 mg/day, the max adult dose. I've noticed an increase in anxiety and severe anxiety symptoms since beginning Keppra, but other than that it's been a great medicine."

Anonymous November 16, 2011

"Our 11 year old takes this medicine for unknown seizures that occur several years apart. She seems to be very tired and irritable. She's moody to the point of insulting and disrespectful for no apparent reason. These things did not occur until she started taking the Keppra."

Anonymous October 10, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Have been on Keppra for about 8 months now. Only one seizure, but the side effects are getting to me. Depressed, irritable, weight gain. Neurologist has added a antidepressant to see if that helps. Just wish the medication was cheaper."

jl2470 September 24, 2011

"I had my first grand mal at age 35. I started taking 500mg of Keppra 1x a day and eventually worked down to 250mg 1x a day without any seizures. My doctor and I decided to take me off the medicine as there has been no epilepsy detected in all the testing I have done. After being off the medicine for 30 days I had another grand mal. So, I started taking the minimal dosage of 1/2 of a 250mg pill once a day. It has been over a year now and I have not had another seizure. I do experience dizziness at the beginning of my day before I take my pill. After a few hours I feel fine. I also sometimes experience drowsiness, tiredness, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, irritability and occasional panic attacks. I'd rather have these than seizures!"

Anonymous August 26, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'd been having partial seizures every 2 wks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became very depressed, suicidal, and uninterested in anything. About 2yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizures now come more frequently and randomly. "

Anonymous August 15, 2011

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): "My neurologist prescribed Keppra initially 500 MG in the morning and 500 MG in the eveninig. I was so groggy it was unbelievable. All I wanted to do was sleep. We switched to the XR Keppra 500 MG twice per day at bedtime and it has been much better. Still suffer from some side effects (skin rash, stiff neck) but feeling much better. 8 weeks into it and all appears well! Good luck to all, I hope this helps."

Anonymous July 26, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have currently started taking Keppra for the last week and a half. I have experienced numbness and tingling throughout my whole body, along with what feels like electrical impulse shocks. I'm tired all the time, trouble sleeping. I can only hope that these side effects will cease because the side effects are making me feel really bad, just the same way as I did with Dilantin I was taking. "

Anonymous July 14, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on 500mg 2x/day for 5 years. Keppra controlled the seizures immediately the day I started it but I did experience extreme drowsiness and can sleep for days. People always told me I looked tired and knew I was always sleepy. I also got very moody and am easily irritated to the point where no one wants to be around me. I didn't think that it could be linked to the medication until now. It's a terrible feeling but it does control the seizures."

apivom July 2, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have been taking Keppra for 4 years. When I keep up with 2000mg dose daily I rarely have seizures anymore. When I go off the medicines they come back. I would have to say it does the trick with minimal side effects."

Bob Newport June 30, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My daughter is 5 years old diagnosed with CP when she was 2 and had her first seizure March of 2010. Her neurologist put her on Keppra and for a year she didn't have any seizure. March of this year she had a grand mal seizure and we had to take her twice to the ER. We found out she had RSV and it triggered her seizures. They say it will take 2-3 weeks to clear the virus and the seizure should go away too. Unfortunately for over a month now she is still having seizures almost everyday, sometimes in the morning and at night. We were given Diastat to help with her seizures and also increased the dose of her Keppra, but nothing seems to work anymore."

Anonymous April 18, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have only been on keepra for about a month but I'm noticing mood swings, shakiness and medicines make me sleep a lot. I haven't had another seizure thank god but the mood swings are awful. I hope after I have my brain tumor removed things get better."

Dannie dee April 11, 2011