User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Keppra, Keppra XR

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Levetiracetam review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Review by noseiznow:

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): Never thought I would ever find a seizure medicine that worked. Keppra XR - THUMBS UP!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2011 9:31 PM

Keppra (levetiracetam): I've been taking this medicine since December 2009, and I haven't had a seizure while taking it. I've doubled my dose according to my doctor's instructions since then and am now taking 3000 mg/day, the max adult dose. I've noticed an increase in anxiety and severe anxiety symptoms since beginning Keppra, but other than that it's been a great medicine.

November 16, 2011 9:29 PM

Our 11 year old takes this medicine for unknown seizures that occur several years apart. She seems to be very tired and irritable. She's moody to the point of insulting and disrespectful for no apparent reason. These things did not occur until she started taking the Keppra.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2011 8:56 AM

Review by jl2470:

Keppra (levetiracetam): Have been on Keppra for about 8 months now. Only one seizure, but the side effects are getting to me. Depressed, irritable, weight gain. Neurologist has added a antidepressant to see if that helps. Just wish the medication was cheaper.

September 24, 2011 7:50 PM

I had my first grand mal at age 35. I started taking 500mg of Keppra 1x a day and eventually worked down to 250mg 1x a day without any seizures. My doctor and I decided to take me off the medicine as there has been no epilepsy detected in all the testing I have done. After being off the medicine for 30 days I had another grand mal. So, I started taking the minimal dosage of 1/2 of a 250mg pill once a day. It has been over a year now and I have not had another seizure. I do experience dizziness at the beginning of my day before I take my pill. After a few hours I feel fine. I also sometimes experience drowsiness, tiredness, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, irritability and occasional panic attacks. I'd rather have these than seizures!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2011 12:01 PM

Keppra (levetiracetam): I'd been having partial seizures every 2 wks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became very depressed, suicidal, and uninterested in anything. About 2yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizures now come more frequently and randomly.

August 15, 2011 6:45 PM

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): My neurologist prescribed Keppra initially 500 MG in the morning and 500 MG in the eveninig. I was so groggy it was unbelievable. All I wanted to do was sleep. We switched to the XR Keppra 500 MG twice per day at bedtime and it has been much better. Still suffer from some side effects (skin rash, stiff neck) but feeling much better. 8 weeks into it and all appears well! Good luck to all, I hope this helps.

July 26, 2011 1:19 PM

Keppra (levetiracetam): I have currently started taking Keppra for the last week and a half. I have experienced numbness and tingling throughout my whole body, along with what feels like electrical impulse shocks. I'm tired all the time, trouble sleeping. I can only hope that these side effects will cease because the side effects are making me feel really bad, just the same way as I did with Dilantin I was taking.

July 14, 2011 10:15 AM

Review by apivom:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I've been on 500mg 2x/day for 5 years. Keppra controlled the seizures immediately the day I started it but I did experience extreme drowsiness and can sleep for days. People always told me I looked tired and knew I was always sleepy. I also got very moody and am easily irritated to the point where no one wants to be around me. I didn't think that it could be linked to the medication until now. It's a terrible feeling but it does control the seizures.

July 2, 2011 4:31 PM

Review by Bob Newport:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I have been taking Keppra for 4 years. When I keep up with 2000mg dose daily I rarely have seizures anymore. When I go off the medicines they come back. I would have to say it does the trick with minimal side effects.

June 30, 2011 3:38 AM

Keppra (levetiracetam): My daughter is 5 years old diagnosed with CP when she was 2 and had her first seizure March of 2010. Her neurologist put her on Keppra and for a year she didn't have any seizure. March of this year she had a grand mal seizure and we had to take her twice to the ER. We found out she had RSV and it triggered her seizures. They say it will take 2-3 weeks to clear the virus and the seizure should go away too. Unfortunately for over a month now she is still having seizures almost everyday, sometimes in the morning and at night. We were given Diastat to help with her seizures and also increased the dose of her Keppra, but nothing seems to work anymore.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2011 3:11 AM

Review by Dannie dee:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I have only been on keepra for about a month but I'm noticing mood swings, shakiness and medicines make me sleep a lot. I haven't had another seizure thank god but the mood swings are awful. I hope after I have my brain tumor removed things get better.

April 11, 2011 7:50 PM

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): Had very bad side effects. Caused severe mood swings.

April 2, 2011 11:40 PM

Review by arc1964:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I have been on many anti-epileptic medicines over the course of 30 years: Dilantin, Mysoline, Klonopin, Depakote, Topamax, Lamictal, etc. While Keppra did a good job of controlling the myoclonic jerks which I often experience, it was way too sedating when combined with Topamax. It wasn't uncommon for me to sleep twelve hours a day. The real problem with Keppra was the mood swings, depression, anger and suicidal thoughts. It's no secret that a link exists between epilepsy/seizure disorders and some (all) of these issues; however, in my case these feelings and emotions definitely intensified while taking Keppra.

March 20, 2011 1:05 AM

Review by offtheshelf:

Keppra (levetiracetam): After thirty plus years unable to control nocturnal seizures with Dilantin, Tegretol and now, Tegretol XR I now take 500MG of Keppra twice daily plus the XR and am controlled night and day with no noticeable side effects. This has lasted for the last six years. I am very pleased and glad to get rid of those nocturnal seizures with their after effects. The difficult part is the cost of the non-generic, especially as I get older.

January 19, 2011 4:50 PM

Review by 0726:

Keppra (levetiracetam): Started having grand mal seizures about 4 or 5 years ago. I've been on Keppra for awhile now the 1st two drugs made me way too tired. I get headaches everyday and sometimes "flip out" (get really mean and mad) easily. I never thought it could be from the Keppra but now I wonder if it is. I have been seizure free though which is worth it to me!

September 20, 2010 2:10 PM

Review by Ehh443:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I have been taking 1500mg a day of Keppra for 7 years. I have had two perfectly healthy babies. I did not breast feed. I didn't want to take the chance. I was just happy they were born normal and healthy. At first it made me very, very tired but after a couple months, that subsided. I did start to gain weight after taking it but I thought that was from the pregnancies or a thyroid issue. I had no idea so many people gained weight with it and had irritability problems. Those are some things I have lived with for the last 7 years that could be a result of this. It does however, control my seizures. I have grand mal seizures and had a few over the years because I could not afford to buy the Keppra.

September 1, 2010 5:37 AM

Review by confused mom:

Keppra (levetiracetam): My son, 11 has had absence seizures for a year now. Have been trying to treat it and have been through 7 different medicines. Added Keppra 500 mg to his 300 mg of Zonegran. The NEXT DAY after first dose of Keppra he had not noticeable seizures, but 2 weeks later he had his first and only grand mal. We took him off Keppra; the absence seizures are back, but no grand mals.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2010 2:42 PM

Review by watch yourself:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I did not get seizures daily, weekly, monthly or yearly not that I'm aware of anyway. I had my first major seizure at 37 years old at a wedding, next one was at 42 years old and recently May 10 (46 years old) on my way to work at our ferry. I've been on Tegretol, Dilantin and now Keppra...now I see the difference. The Keppra is working great where before I may have been having light seizures and did not know it. My eyes were blinking too fast. I thought that was tired eyes, my right hand would become numb while sleeping and I thought it was just from sleeping the wrong way.

May 28, 2010 11:03 AM

Review by GMAOR:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I suffered a traumatic brain injury from being assaulted. Was on Dilantin for a few months. Due to no seizures they withdrew the Dilantin but a couple of months later I suffered my first grand mal seizure. I was put on Epilim (Sodium Valproate) but continued to have grand mal's. I had 3 in a week while at the highest level of Epilim and woke in hospital to find out they gave me Dilantin through a drip. They gradually reduced the Epilim whilst introducing Keppra. I was toxic for about 6 weeks but believe it was because the Dilantin level had increased. I have been seizure free for about 6 months now whilst the Dilantin is below the therapeutic range so I hope it's the Keppra. My neurologist wants to have me on Keppra only.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2010 9:12 PM

Review by marks10:

Keppra (levetiracetam): Keppra worked very effectively on controlling my seizure disorder for the most part. I still had seizures every once in and while during the period of time that I was on Keppra. I wish that more insurance companies would cover the cost of Keppra to any person who has seizures.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2010 9:42 PM

Review by AT3:

I had a very positive experience on this drug. Much less side effects than other drugs I have been on in the past (no side effects really), and it completely controlled my seizures.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2010 10:53 PM

Review by icannotusethisnickname:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I've been on Keppra for around 4 months now. The only thing I like about it is that I don't feel like a zombie like I did while taking Tegretol. Apart from that it does not really control my seizures and makes me dizzy and forgetful.

January 29, 2010 1:12 PM

Review by Justin's mommy:

My 4 yr old son started having seizures a few months ago. All the tests have been run and still they cannot find out what is causing them. They diagnosed him with epilepsy and started him on liquid Levetiracetam (Keppra). Side effects were hyper-ness, not-focused, anger, rage, frustration, hard to fall asleep at night, out of control. His UCLA Pediatric Neurologist prescribed him Lamotrigine (Lamictal) starting with a really low dose and increasing every week. So far with decreasing the Keppra I can see a difference, and so can his teachers at pre-school. This month January 2010 he has only had 2 grand-mals and a bunch of petit-mals. So far no side effects from the Lamotrigine. It's a day by day process.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2010 6:22 PM

Keppra (levetiracetam): Keppra alone did not do anything for me except make me depressed and have "Keppra rage". I was up to 1500mg 2x a day and would still have a grand mal about every 4 months and absence seizures in between. My neuro switched me to Topamax, Depakote and everything else but would break out in rashes or have horrible diarrhea and every other side effect. Back to Keppra I am 2000mg 2x a day (400mg a day total) now, weighing 175 (hell of a dose) and got put on Lamictal as well up to 100mg 2x a day of that. 1 month since addition of Lamictal and higher dose of Keppra and no seizure yet. We shall see.

December 4, 2009 3:29 PM