User Reviews for Levetiracetam (Page 2)

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Levetiracetam Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I had my first seizure when I was 13 years old. It scared my parents and I to death. After that I started experiancing seizures every month. Almost all of my seizures (except 3) have happened while I am asleep. I am 29 now and all the EEGs and EKGs come back normal. I have been taking Keppra now for 6 months and I have not had any Grand Mal seizures. I take 1000 mg everynight after dinner and I make it a point to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. I have not experienced any mood swings or depression. The good definitely out ways the bad.... Many blessings"

Chris956 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on keppra for about a year now. I am not the same person I use to be. I have lost motivation to do anything. I can't retain information. I introduce myself to people I already know because I can't remember anything even things I learned years ago. The worst part is I still have seizures. They just keep increasing the dose. I'm up to 1500mg twice a day."

Jontabor June 18, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My daughter just started this medicine and she is still having seizures. Before the seizures were not happening during the as often, now it is happening more frequently. I still yet to see any real good results..."

Alfmann June 16, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My husband is 35 yrs old and had his first seizure in 03/15 right before a medical procedure for a shot in his back due to pain. He has an extreme phobia of needles and seized before they did the procedure for his back. The doctors believe it was due to extreme stress but then a month and a half later while at work he had another seizure. The neurologist started him on Keppra and he has been on it for a little over a month. He hasn't experienced another seizure but the medication is making him extremely depressed, he seems drunk/high from it, can't walk straight, speech is slurred, eyes glossy, memory loss. I don't even feel like he is even my husband anymore because it has made him so spacey."

WorriedinCO June 5, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 63 now using Keppra (levetiracetam) 500 mg has been a good choice by my neurologist for approximately 5 yrs. I take 750 mg at bed time and it has worked well. My insurance covers Keppra but levetiracetam is more affordable and has worked for me."

With Prayer May 18, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I began using generic Zeppra in 10/14 after four seizures, 500 mg in the am and pm. There were abnormalities in my EEG. No seizures but very sleepy and sluggish during the day and weight gain. Neurologist changed medication one Zeppra extended release three weeks ago and now I'm losing my hair. I'm calling the neurologist to see what we can do."

Mariel's April 12, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I hate this medication! Yes it controls my seizures but it makes me a horrible human being. It causes me to be mean, moody, and angry.I would almost rather have the seizures than have these horrible side effects. next neurologist appointment I am begging for a different medication. And not dilantin or gabapentin either. Both those have given me nasty side effects as well.but what works for one does not necessarily mean it will work for another. Good luck to those of you who are taking this medication. I pray that the side effects are not as bad for you as they were for me."

Kris78 April 9, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm over 65 male, in my youth I suffered several head injuries some of these were diagnosed as concussion. I was involved in a motor accident in 2000 with a severe head injury. Soon thereafter I started to have auras followed by migraines. In 2010 I started having mycolonic jerks that would awaken me at 3/4 times at night. In 2013 the jerks became so severe I visited a neurosurgeon, after scans etc I was diagnosed with Partial Epilepsy. In march 2014 I had a seizure in my sleep. Taken to hospital and put on Keppra by the neurosurgeon.I take 750mg at night and 500 in the morning. Auras and migraines have decreased,but my mood swings have been getting worse,changed personality, overreaction,I feel like I'm bipolar its affecting my marriage."

New Peronality February 21, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 55/ male and recently experienced a seizure during a visit at an MD clinic upon falling from the cart I was on and striking my head, I then had a subsequent episode two weeks later. I was started on Keppra 500mg twice daily, It has now been almost a week and since starting my appetite has tanked, I have had profound anxiety attacks,and insomnia along with occasional emotional lability, Also ataxia when walking. Don't know if I wanted to continue this, but will speak with my neurologist next week."

Greg1110 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My daughter was put on Keppra when she was 14 months old & she walked like she was drunk after she started on it. The doctor said not to ever give her Keppra again!!"

Triplett77 November 21, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 25 had my first seizure at 24 and have now had my 4th seizure 11/11/14. I went against the doctor with taking medication as I had and EEG done and came up clear so thought it wouldn't be to serious. However now having 4 seizure I've started taking Keppra twice a day. I haven't been tired by the medication and still able to work well. However I'm starting to be early angered and annoyed and moody. What I would normally get swept under the carpet is now agitating me. I'm not enjoying it as I feel like being left alone and in my own space. "

Norbryn (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Started about 1 week ago. Was fine then all of sudden I started feeling really tired, restless. Nothing unusual. Now I have no appetite. Spaced out majority of the day. My mood swings are through the roof. And tonight I had a nightmare. Calling my doctor to see what to do."

DarthDerwin (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My 8 year old was put on Keppra for complex partial seizures. Except for some initial tiredness in the first two weeks she has had no side effects. She takes 250mg twice a day. She even won her age group in a 1mile race two weeks ago and her competitive soccer team won their soccer tournament this weekend thanks to some of the goals she scored. I have noticed no difference in her school work or personality. I am so thankful for this medicine that my daughter can continue her active life seizure free."

Soccerfamily July 15, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am from Bahrain. My daughter is 4 years old, she got grand mal seizures and doctors prescribed her Keppra syrup (oral). Since 18 days no seizure but we feel side effects like mood changes and one time she had minor rashes appeared on her face but it went after 3 days. So far we are happy with Keppra and I hope and pray that it will treat her epilepsy."

Father of Ayesha (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on Keppra for two years now, 500mg morning & 500mg evening. No side effects at all and no seizures since I started on it. Initially I had some tingling in my lips but that ended after a week or so, nothing since. Like the "animal alerts" I keep on my vehicles you can't tell if it works except for the absence of anything bad happening which in my case nothing has with either Keppra or the animal alerts so they both must work since before them I had one seizure and also hit a deer a moose and some rodents who darted out in front of me but no longer do. I checked for interactions of all medications and would advise anyone with a bad reaction to any med to do so as well."

unphazed May 24, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 23. I am now 35 I was put on Tegretol 500mg twice a day. For 2 years my life was a nightmare I still got seizures and double vision everyday. I was then prescribed 500mg of Keppra twice daily along with the Tegretol. The double vision went completely and I found that I only have 1 or 2 seizures max a year, this is usually because of lack of sleep or forgetting to take my medicines. Yes I find my attention span is not great sometimes along with tiredness and mood swings. The positives for me outweigh the negatives. Good luck in finding what suits you best."

Joncb January 31, 2014

"Had been experiencing tremors and finally had a seizure. Hospitalized, Given every test imaginable. All negative . Prescribed Keppra. Tremors gone and I believe I won't have seizures again. Dosage: 500 mg. twice daily"

zelskid1 December 15, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "It works most of the time. I developed epilepsy when I was almost 60 years old and the first medication I took gave me horrible headaches. This works, but it also can give me diarhea and when that happens and the medicine doesn't stay in my body long enough to work, I can have mild attacks. Sometimes I have the mild, brief attacks even when the medicine stays in me."

KarenHG (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 2, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I had surgery for a benign brain tumor over 8 yrs. ago; Gamma Knife radiation surgery 3 yrs. ago. The Gamma Knife surgery left me with scar tissue that caused me to have my first partial seizure. This required me to remain on seizure medication, levetiracetam. To prevent recurrent seizures, I was on a dose of 1,000 mg./ 2x's day. I was on this dosage for over 2 yrs. No seizures, but side effects crept up slowly: bad memory loss, difficulty finding words, fatigue, weight gain. Then, the intolerable ones: deep depression, mood swings, crazy flip-out anger. It just kept getting worse, until I couldn't wait to get off of it! My doctor called it the "Keppra Rage". I guess this is well- known side effect that I could not tolerate."

Renatajbn November 20, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My son had his first seizure at 18 yrs old. He has a brain injury from birth and very mild cerebral palsy affecting his right side. Went to ER and was referred to neurologist. Did a CT scan, blood work, EEG all normal except the injury to brain which showed no changes in size or concern. Was told not to drive for three months CA law. Was put on Keppra 500mg morning and night total 1000mg. Has not had a seizure and we will be following up with the neurologist in 2 days to have his driving privileges reinstated with DMV. Very hard for him not being able to drive and having someone else do it. Regarding side affects none. Has taken medicine every day. Neurologist did say we will re evaluate stopping the medicne in 2ys."

Jonathan's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2013

"Currently taking this medication also. Have told my doctor about side effects. Told me that "I must be taking it at the wrong". I had to show him issues from manufacture and from pharmacy. Changed dosages from twice a day to only once, but I have to eat a lot to get rid of the dizziness each morning. Feel that my issues were caused by drop in glucose levels, but doctor has stated that would not cause this also...."

Friday 13th (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was given one dose of keppra as a precaution because I had a "spell" that I'm not sure was a seizure or just a bad anxiety attack. It made be feel dreadful: dizzy, depressed, weepy, spaced out. It's been nearly 36 hours since I took it and I'm still feeling not quite right. Horrible stuff. I had an EEG and it was normal. I wish the doctor had waited with the med until the results of the EEG, CatScan and MRI."

Newport620 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2013

"I had two seizures prior to removal of a benign right frontal lobe brain tumor. I was initially placed on Keppra 1000 mg 2x/day. After a year, I went down to 750 mg and the following year 500 mg. My neurologist will keep me at 500 mg until I am 4 1/2 years from my surgery when he will take me to 250 mg for the final 6 months. At that point, he says I am just as likely to have a seizure as someone who has never had a seizure. I have no side effects from Keppra, but am looking forward to my 5 year mark when I will no longer have to take medication."

5455T (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Been on Keppra for 1 month. No seizures but very tired, depressed and angry. 500mg morning, 500mg evening. "

Kitty rea August 26, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Started taking Keppa (750mg twice daily) alongside Lamictal (250mg twice daily) as the latter medicine was not 100% efficient to control partial seizures. Although the Keppra seems to have stopped the seizures completely, there are many side effects to be aware of. Drowsiness, tiredness and irritability/moodiness are extremely common, so that is often a downer, especially when you're trying to enjoy yourself. Depression is difficult to identify as dwelling on the side effects on the leaflet only makes you feel worse! Overall, an effective medicine for treating epilepsy but I had many bad side effects."

JJHarvey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2013