User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Levetiracetam Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 70 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am so glad I found this forum! My husband was on Dilantin and it was working well but a few years ago his Dr switched him to Keppra because it was newer. He started having severe depression and mood swings to a point where they diagnosed him with Bipolar. The depression has been getting worse and worse to a point where we almost hospitalized him because I was afraid he may hurt himself. Today I spoke with his mental health provider and asked about trying Depakote and decided to come home and research if he could take both. After reading the reviews I am 100% convinced that it is the Keppra causing his depression and I am taking him to the Dr Monday to have him put back on Dilantin!"

falisamarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "It gave me hives that took me well over 4 months to get rid of once I quit taking it. The hives were so painful."

Really bad Hives (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have a brain tumor. I've been on 1500mg/day since Feb 2011. I had a gran-mal seizure in the middle of the night. First seizure, first indication of the brain tumor. Haven't had a seizure since. Radiation took care of the tumor. Have not experienced any of the side-effects that most other people comment on other than occasional constipation. My dreams seem to be more vivid and realistic than before. I'm 50 in two months."

mrb62 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Horrible side effects immediately. Could not finish a sentence, felt drunk and tired. "

Slokey43 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2012

Keppra (levetiracetam): "After a motor vehicle accident in 2008 I started having seizures. (grand mal) I just started on Keppra 3 1/2 months ago. 1000mg in the morning and again evening. I also take Gabapentin. 300mg 3 times a day. I haven't had a seizure since. (yay!) Not only that, but I feel 'alert' and I don't feel tired. The Gabapentin can make me feel a little sleepy, but after taking it in the afternoon I immediately take a walk outside or take a 20 minute power nap and then I feel great. I haven't had the side effects of mood swings or feeling tired or depressed. I didn't even realize before I started taking Keppra how "out of it" I felt at times. I'd gotten so used to feeling tired and 'unclear' in my head. Now that I'm on Keppra, I feel 'alive' again!"

LifeIsGood_44 February 23, 2012

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "In April 2010 I was went into Grand mal seizures which was found to be due to brain cancer. After surgery and sent home I was put on Keppra. As of Feb 2012 I have not had a seizure since but I have found this medicine makes me very tired and I itch all over all the time. I was taking 500mg in the morning and 500 in the evening. Then we changed it to 1000mg in the evening and none in the morning. I find it very hard to get motivated in the mornings. I want to stay in bed and sleep. I take antidepressants but I'm not depressed or crying. I had been and they felt under the circumstances I need to stay on the antidpressant. We tried changing it and I still stayed very tired and that is why I am sure its the Keppra making me so tired. Otherwise Kuddos."

Angeliz February 16, 2012

"Wish I was able to breast feed but otherwise have had no issues with it."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): "Never thought I would ever find a seizure medicine that worked. Keppra XR - THUMBS UP!"

noseiznow December 26, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been taking this medicine since December 2009, and I haven't had a seizure while taking it. I've doubled my dose according to my doctor's instructions since then and am now taking 3000 mg/day, the max adult dose. I've noticed an increase in anxiety and severe anxiety symptoms since beginning Keppra, but other than that it's been a great medicine."

Anonymous November 16, 2011

"Our 11 year old takes this medicine for unknown seizures that occur several years apart. She seems to be very tired and irritable. She's moody to the point of insulting and disrespectful for no apparent reason. These things did not occur until she started taking the Keppra."

Anonymous October 10, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Have been on Keppra for about 8 months now. Only one seizure, but the side effects are getting to me. Depressed, irritable, weight gain. Neurologist has added a antidepressant to see if that helps. Just wish the medication was cheaper."

jl2470 September 24, 2011

"I had my first grand mal at age 35. I started taking 500mg of Keppra 1x a day and eventually worked down to 250mg 1x a day without any seizures. My doctor and I decided to take me off the medicine as there has been no epilepsy detected in all the testing I have done. After being off the medicine for 30 days I had another grand mal. So, I started taking the minimal dosage of 1/2 of a 250mg pill once a day. It has been over a year now and I have not had another seizure. I do experience dizziness at the beginning of my day before I take my pill. After a few hours I feel fine. I also sometimes experience drowsiness, tiredness, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, irritability and occasional panic attacks. I'd rather have these than seizures!"

Anonymous August 26, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'd been having partial seizures every 2 wks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became very depressed, suicidal, and uninterested in anything. About 2yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizures now come more frequently and randomly. "

Anonymous August 15, 2011

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): "My neurologist prescribed Keppra initially 500 MG in the morning and 500 MG in the eveninig. I was so groggy it was unbelievable. All I wanted to do was sleep. We switched to the XR Keppra 500 MG twice per day at bedtime and it has been much better. Still suffer from some side effects (skin rash, stiff neck) but feeling much better. 8 weeks into it and all appears well! Good luck to all, I hope this helps."

Anonymous July 26, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have currently started taking Keppra for the last week and a half. I have experienced numbness and tingling throughout my whole body, along with what feels like electrical impulse shocks. I'm tired all the time, trouble sleeping. I can only hope that these side effects will cease because the side effects are making me feel really bad, just the same way as I did with Dilantin I was taking. "

Anonymous July 14, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on 500mg 2x/day for 5 years. Keppra controlled the seizures immediately the day I started it but I did experience extreme drowsiness and can sleep for days. People always told me I looked tired and knew I was always sleepy. I also got very moody and am easily irritated to the point where no one wants to be around me. I didn't think that it could be linked to the medication until now. It's a terrible feeling but it does control the seizures."

apivom July 2, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have been taking Keppra for 4 years. When I keep up with 2000mg dose daily I rarely have seizures anymore. When I go off the medicines they come back. I would have to say it does the trick with minimal side effects."

Bob Newport June 30, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My daughter is 5 years old diagnosed with CP when she was 2 and had her first seizure March of 2010. Her neurologist put her on Keppra and for a year she didn't have any seizure. March of this year she had a grand mal seizure and we had to take her twice to the ER. We found out she had RSV and it triggered her seizures. They say it will take 2-3 weeks to clear the virus and the seizure should go away too. Unfortunately for over a month now she is still having seizures almost everyday, sometimes in the morning and at night. We were given Diastat to help with her seizures and also increased the dose of her Keppra, but nothing seems to work anymore."

Anonymous April 18, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have only been on keepra for about a month but I'm noticing mood swings, shakiness and medicines make me sleep a lot. I haven't had another seizure thank god but the mood swings are awful. I hope after I have my brain tumor removed things get better."

Dannie dee April 11, 2011

Keppra XR (levetiracetam): "Had very bad side effects. Caused severe mood swings."

Anonymous April 2, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have been on many anti-epileptic medicines over the course of 30 years: Dilantin, Mysoline, Klonopin, Depakote, Topamax, Lamictal, etc. While Keppra did a good job of controlling the myoclonic jerks which I often experience, it was way too sedating when combined with Topamax. It wasn't uncommon for me to sleep twelve hours a day. The real problem with Keppra was the mood swings, depression, anger and suicidal thoughts. It's no secret that a link exists between epilepsy/seizure disorders and some (all) of these issues; however, in my case these feelings and emotions definitely intensified while taking Keppra."

arc1964 March 20, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "After thirty plus years unable to control nocturnal seizures with Dilantin, Tegretol and now, Tegretol XR I now take 500MG of Keppra twice daily plus the XR and am controlled night and day with no noticeable side effects. This has lasted for the last six years. I am very pleased and glad to get rid of those nocturnal seizures with their after effects. The difficult part is the cost of the non-generic, especially as I get older. "

offtheshelf January 19, 2011

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Started having grand mal seizures about 4 or 5 years ago. I've been on Keppra for awhile now the 1st two drugs made me way too tired. I get headaches everyday and sometimes "flip out" (get really mean and mad) easily. I never thought it could be from the Keppra but now I wonder if it is. I have been seizure free though which is worth it to me!"

0726 September 20, 2010

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have been taking 1500mg a day of Keppra for 7 years. I have had two perfectly healthy babies. I did not breast feed. I didn't want to take the chance. I was just happy they were born normal and healthy. At first it made me very, very tired but after a couple months, that subsided. I did start to gain weight after taking it but I thought that was from the pregnancies or a thyroid issue. I had no idea so many people gained weight with it and had irritability problems. Those are some things I have lived with for the last 7 years that could be a result of this. It does however, control my seizures. I have grand mal seizures and had a few over the years because I could not afford to buy the Keppra."

Ehh443 September 1, 2010

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My son, 11 has had absence seizures for a year now. Have been trying to treat it and have been through 7 different medicines. Added Keppra 500 mg to his 300 mg of Zonegran. The NEXT DAY after first dose of Keppra he had not noticeable seizures, but 2 weeks later he had his first and only grand mal. We took him off Keppra; the absence seizures are back, but no grand mals. "

confused mom August 31, 2010