User Reviews for Letrozole

Also known as: Femara

Learn more about Letrozole.

Female Infertility 2 reviews 23 medications

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 8 reviews 18 medications

5.6
Summary of Letrozole reviews 65 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Letrozole

For Breast Cancer: "Dec 2011 bilateral mastectomy stage 1 infiltrating lobular breast cancer rt breast 64 yrs old - no lymph node involvement I am in my 4th year of hormonal treatment with Letrozole. So far so good some joint and muscle pain but it could be my age. I exercise more - take more vitamins - eat more vegetables - shun all dairy products (cows are always pregnant and full of cow hormones) - eat very little meat (chicken or fish) - always shop organic - and get at least 7 hrs of sleep a night. Some people think I am crazy."

Rocky mt belle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I would give a lot to have NEVER taken Femara! It aged me 20 years in a few months. I took it for more than six years before I told my oncologist I would not take it any more. It was killing me! I was sleeping an average of two hours a night......a "good" night was five hours every ten to fourteen days. The other side effects were awful! Femara did NOT keep the cancer from coming back! It is KNOWN to weaken the bones, and the cancer is now rampant in my bones!"

flginny January 9, 2016

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Stage 4 HER2 positive breast cancer was found 2011. After a double mastectomy, ( additionally 6 other surgeries due to Staph infection and failed reconstruction attempts) 6 months of 2 types of chemotheraphy, including Newlastin booster shots after each infusion.. total of 1 year of Herceptin chemo infusions. 6 weeks of daily radiation, then... 8 years of Femara. Been taking this medication daily since August 2012...hot flashes/night sweats are awful. Anxiety occassionally. Easily out of breath after any activity. Difficulty maintaining focus and frequent forgetfulness. 3years with this medication and chest, bone and joint pain is intensifying. 5 more years to go. CANCER FREE STILL."

Jill M. November 30, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "The pain to my shoulder and right arm are so intance that I can not function. I have problems taking care of my chores to the point that I just can not do them. My arm has become immovable due to stiffness and the profound pain. I can't sleep at night unless I double on a sleeping aid. I can't live this way. My life is depressing."

too painful November 11, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Had lump removed April 2014 15 treatments of Radiotheraphy then Letrozole. The Doctor only warned about making my already present aches pains worse but felt this was the best for my age now 70. I went out with Daughter Friday felt had to drag myself around so wiped out I feel need to sit down all the time. Go upstairs to bed time get top of stairs sweating very hot feel like running out of air have to sit down on toilet whilst I cool down. During the day constantly fall asleep. Feel this is a poor life with no energy to do anything.Wake in morning headache. sometimes feel sick."

greyhound lover November 2, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I just read the above comment about the lady feeling '90'. I am 45 and I too have had 6 rounds of chemo and a bi-lateral mastectomy January 2014. I couldn't take tamoxifen and monthly injections of zoladex were too painful and caused me numerous side effects. In June this year I had an oopherectomy which obviously has now pushed me post menopausal and I am taking letrozole 2.5 mg. and I feel like the lady above, like an old woman. Short of breath, exhausted, weepy, achy, no energy! Yesterday I was so exhausted after work at 4pm I was worried I wouldn't make it home as driving was scary I couldn't focus on the road! The tiredness has been so awful I have no longer being going out socially. It's ruined me."

JojoUK October 30, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "After having a dr prescribe hormones for me for 12 yrs even tho I only had a partial hystromectomy I developed breast cancer. When it was found I was a advanced stage 3 with a tumor just short of a size 8,in my chest wall and left lymnodes. After massive chemo for 6 months it shrunk to a size 2, then came the double masectomy and nodes removed followed by 30 hits of heavy radiation. This all began in may of 2013 and now in October of 2015 in total remission. I am so thankful to my Drs et however the side effects of all of the treatments and continued treatment of Letrozole are awful. I feel 90 and have sudden bouts where I can't breathe and hurt all over. I hate it."

Had Enuff (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "stage I breast cancer. I Had lumpectomy no nodes involved. No chemo I chose no radiation.... Been on zoladex and famera so far very few side effects.... But of course I'm just now starting on my second week of use..... I recommend u to get blood work done to check for vitamin deficiencies... And address them it will keep your side effects at a minimum.... "

DOTTIE T CROW September 26, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I have been taking Letrozole for one year now after a diagnosis of hormone related breast cancer. Initially my consultant (UK) said I would need a right sided mastectomy. However two weeks later when the biopsy results were back he said he did not think surgery was possible because the tumour appeared to be attached to the muscle. However, CT scan and MRI revealed a 1mm plane between the tumour and the muscle - phew! Letrozole was so effective that it shrank and softened the tumour and by January 2015 I was able to have a bilateral mastectomy. Lymph glands and bone scan were clear. Side effects: persistent hot flashes, so I always wear blouses with buttons and carry an ordinary fan in my handbag; it is a life saver."

Crystalsea (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "Switched to Letrozole and Ibrance from Xgeva and Denosobaum April 2015 The weight gain, hair loss and depression are an impending deal breaker. Sorry. Cant live like this."

Curiosity15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Hi everyone, in 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3A invasive ductal breast cancer - I went through chemo for 4 months and had double mastectomy in March 2012 - followed by 6 weeks of radiation. I was put on tamoxifen for a year and then femara which I currently take now. The biggest thing with femara is being like I am constantly tired and "foggy" - I can handle the hot flashes ( we live in Minnesota - where the winter lasts for 6 months) - I just walk around outside with a t shirt on and I'm good to go! Lately, I have been experiencing hair loss and I don't know if its due to the femara? Anyone else have this problem? Please let me know. Hang in there beautiful ladies (& men)"

minnesota mama lu September 12, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "diagnosed May 2014 with Stage 3 Breast cancer after chemo, removal of the tumor & lymph nods, radiation I started Femara been on it almost 6 months and I have daily joint & muscle pain, fatigue, hot flashes, and most of all weight gain, Im really trying to eat healthy and exercise, but working a full time job its a tough routine to keep up with everyday, (55 and post menopausal). But hey Im still here and hopeful the medication does the good job of keeping the cancer at bay. Doing my best with the symptoms."

Caner Free for now! (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "I had ER+ HER- stage III 23 positive lymph nodes. Diagnosed Christmas before last. Age 47. Neoadjuvant ACT,surgery,radiation. Letrazole was the first aromatase inhibitor I tried.I am so sorry to hear of the side effects many have had. I have had a few. Gained a little weight,constipation. But I had serious joint pain and stiffness before I had cancer. The chemo made my joint pain and stiffness go away. Even my hips.When I finished it crept back. Then I started letrazole and it went away. I know this helps me becuase I ran out of it on vacation for two days and could barely move the day I got my refill. After three doses I was back to normal. That is good because I have to take it as long as I live."

Danielinthelionsden August 16, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I have stage 4 breast cancer and the looks at the hospital were not pretty-it did not look good for me. I have been on Letrozole for 6 months and it is working. The tumors are shrinking or disappearing and I feel so much better. My hands feet and legs are stiff but so what- I stretch them to loosen up, my hair is thinning but so what, there are other things I can use to cover my head. If God put this drug to cure me, I can take these small inconveniences. I am happy to know that this joint pain is caused by the medication. I would like to know if the medication actually heals and makes you cancer free and it can end or if medication is needed for my life. I am 54 almost 55 and if this pill can give me life, small side effects are ok"

cmmomof4 August 6, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I have recently started taking femara. The first few days were really tough. I had muscle pain and was very emotional and horrible periarea dryness. I would cry about anything. These symptoms have pretty much gone away after day 4. Now after a month, my main side effects seem to be evening fatigue (I would really like to go to bed at 6:30pm) and fuzzy thinking. During the first couple of days of taking this medicine I had my doubts if I would continue, but now I think with time I will find ways to work around the side effects. They really aren't that bothersome."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "After a modified radical mastectomy for stage 3 breast cancer, I took letrozole for 5 years and my tumor marker test (CA 15-3) remained low. My oncologist and I decided that without any indication of malignancy I could safely go off the letrozole. After 2 years off it my (CA 15-3) blood test shot up and I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer on my chest wall. I resumed taking letrozole and had 36 radiation treatments. I have taken letrozole for 7 months now and my most current CT scan showed the lesion was gone. I know the radiation destroyed most of the lesion but I'm sure the letrozole helped a lot with the rest. I probably will take letrozole for the rest of my life."

Bananafaced (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "Stage IIIc Lobular breast CA, node , Started generic Femara 18 months ago after radiation. Minor side effects- hair loss, nails, skin, vaginal dryness. Major- started out with tolerable joint, bone and muscle pain. But about a month ago, these symptoms became severe enough to decrease my quality of life. My oncologist did blood work, all okay. She wanted a bone scan but after ready reviews, this is the Femara not bone cancer. She just has not had amy Patients do this, the literature is based on trials not general population. The literature( and she told me) the symptoms go away by 8 months! Not!! I also have MS ( still mobile, but that has some same/ similar side affects) but Femara more like arthritis. Knees, ankles. Stay on though!"

Janny'darie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "After stage 2 breast cancer/unilateral mastcectomy, Took tamoxifen for 2 years, then switched to femara abt 4 months ago. My oncologist said this was largely because femara is kinder to my kidneys. I truly hope the femara is doing its job, because my fingers are stiff and swelling, and hurt when I bend them. I now have 2 - 3 trigger fingers, depending on temperature and time of day, and I truly understand what a reviewer called "Walter Brennan walk"! Stiff legs after sitting for as little as 5 minutes, & as an artist, pianist & admin, this is definately a quality of life issue for me. I am going to speak with my doctor again - he agreed that that was side effect, but it's getting worse quickly, also slight weight gain & low energy levels"

lynniered (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I hope that it is keeping me from having cancer with all the problems that it is causing. I had stage 2 grade 2b breast cancer and had a mastectomy followed by 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks of daily radiation. I really didn't have that much side affects from chemo and radiation. But being on the Letrozole has been a pain. the fatigue is getting to me. I might as well go into hibernation for 5 years. I sleep all the time. It is very hard to focus on my job where I am a manager. I have a lot of joint pain and I am trying glucomine juice. Someone else told me about loins juice. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do about the fatigue? I take the pill at night, but I can not get out of bed in the morning."

Marla57 April 28, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I'm not sure how to rate this drug. If it keeps cancer away, it might get a 10. Almost 4 years later, it appears to have done so. However, the jury is still out. I am literally counting the days until I can get off this drug. The joint pain has become almost unbearable and completely affects any quality of life. I find I don't want to do much of anything because of the pain, yet know I have to or be almost bedridden. It has become progressively worse in the last year. So I push myself daily and have tried almost everything to help the pain, but nothing really works. I am grateful to be cancer free, and really feel conflicted even complaining about it. But most days are just very hard. I am 63, yet feel like a 90 year old."

Cavamama March 30, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I had stage 2 breast cancer in 2004 took tamoxifen for 5 years and was then moved to femara. I have had significant bone and muscle pain; weight gain; severe hot flashes/night sweats; and brain fog, forgetfulness; however my 5 years of femara will end in June 2015 however I was under the impression that I would be taken off of this medication; however I have seen many post that show individuals on this medication for 8, 9 or more years. I am not sure what my oncologist has in mind for me. I was 46 when I found out and have had both breast removed and completed 5 months of chemo but I am still concerned to be without any medications for fear of my cancer returning."

2015cancer2004 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "Breast Cancer in 1999 Stage 1 Distant recurrence lung tumor in 2012. Given Femara (letrozole). After two months tumor shrunk. Almost 3 years now on letrozole. No side effects and no evidence of disease."

marie I. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Had Grade A Breast Cancer that was caught early. Had a mass and one lymph node removed. Went on Femara on Nov. 8, 2014, the day after I finished radiation. At first, I didn't notice anything. Slowly the pain in my feet started, then other joints in my body. I felt like I was having trouble getting air into my lungs. I started feeling like I was in a fog. I already had been diagnosed with depression years ago which was under control with medication. I started experiencing depression a couple of weeks ago which included waking up and crying. That turned into suicidal depression. Without pain medication, I couldn't move around well. The bottom of my feet were killing me. I work full time. I quit the Femara 2 days ago."

Chille Hille (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "Hi, I'm a new member, I had breast cancer at the start of 2013, it had spread to my liver, bone and spine, I had radiotherapy on my spine which worked well, I was then put on letrozole, within 6 months, the scan results showed that all the tumors were shrinking, I had awful hot flushes but coped with them, in April 2014 my scan was clear and was pain free and this was just by taking letrozole, I called it my wonder pill. However, the last few weeks the muscle pain in my legs have started, I went to the health shop and got some Musseltone gel, yes I have spelt it right as it's made from mussels from the sea, it's great, I rub it on a few times a day and before I get out of bed in a morning. For me, Letrozole was my miracle cure."

jessandjodie (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2015

Femara (letrozole) for Female Infertility: "I struggled with infertility for years. Two months on this medicine and we were pregnant and I now have a healthy 4 year old."

Megzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2014