User Reviews for Letrozole

Also known as: Femara

Learn more about Letrozole.

Female Infertility 1 reviews 23 medications

6.1
Summary of Letrozole reviews 40 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Letrozole

Review by sick of rx's (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I was so pleased to read all of the reviews about Letrozole. Now I know that I'm not alone. Hot flashes worse than menopause. Always off balance. Won't do stairs without a railing or holding on to person anymore after quite a few falls. Don't get dizzy, but never know when a stumble or fall is coming. Very dry mouth (other meds also cause dry mouth/thirst). This is extremely hard to deal with as chemo put my kidneys in failure and on dialysis am limited to 1.5 liters of liquid a day. Headaches, bone pain, fatigued constantly, muscle pain especially in legs, lack of appetite, foods don't taste the same. Ran out about a week ago, starting to come out of the fog! Feel like I'm 100, not 57, sigh.

July 27, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by doghouse814 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I was diagnosed in 2009, had lumpectomy, chemo, radiation. Managed to continue working through it all. Then took tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years...had horrible muscle cramping and hot flashes, switched to letrozole after determining I was post menopausal. The major muscle cramps lessened considerably, as did the hot flashes. I took this for 2 1/2 years, just stopping 3 weeks ago. I have muscle, joint, bone achiness 24/7, no energy, tired always, feel like I'm in a fog, tinnitus, heartburn, slow metabolism with weight gain. How long will it take to reverse all of these side effects now that I no longer take it? I even quit taking ibuprofen because it doesn't do anything for the pains. I am now 2 months from being 50 years old.

July 19, 2014 7:53 AM

For Breast Cancer: I have been on Letrozole for 9 months. I have dry mouth, extremely dry skin, vaginal dryness, reduced libido, weight gain and hair loss. My joints are increasingly stiff and painful. I wake in the night from pain and can scarcely walk first thing in the morning. My Breast cancer was stage one an I had both breasts removed. I am considering stopping taking it.

July 7, 2014 10:43 AM

Review by Happy Mommy0124 (taken for less than 1 month):

Femara (letrozole) for Female Infertility: I struggled with getting pregnant due to infertility, I also only have one fallopian tube. First round of fertility treatment on this medication worked!! Now I have a happy 3 month old!!

April 23, 2014 7:02 PM

Review by CHARIN (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Breast Cancer: Was on Arimidex for one year but was changed to Letrozole because I couldn't walk due to burning sensation. Side effects after treatment have been: bone weakening, fatigue, insomnia, night sweats, weight gain (40 Lb) dry hair, feel older than 71, redness in my face, high blood pressure, neuropathy, burping, stiffness after sitting, memory loss, joint pain...but I am happy to be alive. I try not to complain because I want my husband to be happy.

February 26, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Positivo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Breast Cancer: I have been on letrozole for 5 months. I experience pretty strong joint pain in hands, fingers and feet especially upon rising in the morning. I look like Walter Brennan going to the bathroom. I am 54 and previously felt like 25, now I often feel 85. Have found something great to prevent weight gain and helps with the energy issue. Still working on vaginal dryness and libido. Have found an anti-inflammatory diet improves pain, energy and mental clarity.

January 28, 2014 8:20 PM

Review by firstyear (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Breast Cancer: Got aches and pains in shoulders, knees, stiffness after sitting, trigger fingers and thumb-left hand, thinning hair.

December 23, 2013 12:28 AM

Review by Billytup:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for 3 years now, following 5 years on Tamoxifen as part of the Tango treatment for breast cancer. I have experienced severe joint pain, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, etc. But thought it was worth the effects in order to keep me 'cancer free'. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003. I have also issues with bone problems i.e. broke my foot 4 years ago & chipped my knee joint. But hey I'm still here. Keep persevering girls!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2013 7:34 AM

Review by Loving Life (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: After a lumpectomy for stage 1 Breast Cancer, I was prescribed two other aromatase inhibitors prior to Femara. I had occasional head pain in one spot from all of them. I also had trigger finger and terrible knee pain from Arimidex. My doctor then put me on brand name Femara and the joint pain, head pain, and trigger finger all went away. What is bothering me now is the hair loss (can see my scalp!), memory loss--constantly groping for words. Sometimes I do feel like I'm "foggy" but mostly I just can't remember words. I feel it is getting worse as time goes on and I do not understand why others report the same but there is no mention of this in the patient information leaflet.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2013 4:48 AM

Review by Femaranotforme:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for 9 months. First few months were tolerable, as time progresses, I am miserable. In beginning, I experienced nausea and diarrhea. As this went away, the bone and joint pain began. I would be awakened from my sleep in tears, as my hips would ache just from lying in bed. My hands/fingers hurt to make a fist, or do any type of extended writing. My knees ache horribly. When I get out of bed in the morning, I need to stand still for at least 2 or 3 minutes until I can get my legs to work. Same thing when sitting for any length of time. I am 45 and feel like I am 85.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2013 8:48 PM

Review by Mrs. Nagbe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I was diagnosed with breast cancer (stage 2) - underwent 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks radiation. My hair regrowth was pretty quick but began thinning significantly after about a year of Tamoxifen usage (could see my scalp pretty clearly in the front and on top of my head). My doctor switched me to Femara about 2 months ago - side effects include lots of hot flashes (about 6-10 daily) and weight gain which I am combating by working out everyday and cutting my calories. I am prayerful that I don't experience anymore hair loss or the joint pain that I keep reading about. Everyone hang in there!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 3:10 PM

Review by cauryn:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I had stage 3 breast cancer have been through chemo, radiation and have been on Femara for 4 months. I started on Aromasin but had terrible joint and muscle pain so my oncologist changed me to Femara. My joints and muscles feel better but I am so tired that even my oncologist tells me I look worn out. I will live with the fatigue as I know this medicine works. I am 58 and I can no longer do what I did less than a year ago. I ride a bike 40 minutes a day, I eat healthy but I just have no vitality. I miss my old self.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2013 1:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Breast Cancer: Some muscle and bone pain, but nothing unbearable. Weight gain....joining a gym. The closest thing to a hot flash is a pin prickly sensation. Overall happy with with this so far...9 months down, 51 more to go.

June 5, 2013 7:41 PM

Review by ramade:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Metastatic: Femara for 18 months no side effects for first 6 months, then joint and muscle pain, physical fatigue, bone density loss. Will continue for as long as it works, at the moment looking clear, I want to live.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2013 12:09 PM

Review by mary dresden:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: When I switched aromatase inhibitors from Arimidex to Femara it was a world of difference! The terrible side effects I was experiencing made me question whether survival from breast cancer was worth it if my life would be spent with Arimidex side effects of irritability, MORE hair loss, joint pains, etc. My oncologist switched me to Femara and my life returned to more pleasant and more energy. I have been suggesting this change to all my blogging support group that are having problems with Arimadex. Later adding OTC Biosil and SamE have also helped the hair and joint and mood issues.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by Tootygirl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I have been taking Femara for almost two years now after my second surgery for estrogen receptive positive breast cancer with no lymph nodes involved. Sure there are multiple side effects, some pretty tough to deal with sometimes but I am 66 years young and I love living. Give it a GO and keep on living.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by EricaLisa:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for almost a year. At first I had nearly constant hot flashes/night sweats. Was started on Effexor with nearly immediate relief. Have had increasingly painful joint and muscle pain, especially in my knees. Nothing seems to be helping much with that and it has been a major detriment to my quality of life. Have recently added Magnesium, Fish Oil and Glucosamine/Chrondroitin to the Calcium and D3 I had been taking. Hopefully this will ease the joint stiffness and pain. I am 52 and some days feel 92. Still I am cancer free so far, so I will continue to take Femara.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2013 12:51 PM

For Breast Cancer: I am 40 years old and I have been taking Letrozole for about a year. I found a lump shortly after my son was born 5 years ago. I had chemo, radiation and was put on tamoxifen. I had a reoccurence in the lymph node in Dec of 2011 and the oncologist took me off tamoxifen and put me on letrozole. I am suffering from joint pain, memory loss, very fatigued all the time, depression, hot flashes. I do very little for myself since my children are only 9 and 5 years old. I feel I need to take care of them first before I can do anything for myself. I am hoping the letrozole will give me more hope than tamoxifen. I'm preventing a recurrence. I need to be around a lot longer for my beautiful children.

November 11, 2012 9:41 AM

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Metastatic: I've been taking Femara since the breast cancer was discovered in my lung - that has been 10 years this year. Two types of chemo failed to knock it out and as I was preparing for radiation, I started taking Femara. Within a month the tumor began to shrink and all that is left is scarring where it once was. I am so grateful to my doctor for recommending it to me. My other oncologist didn't even mention it. Needless to say I'm happy to be alive and enjoying life.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by lkw123:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for 4 months. Hand pain and weight gain.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2012 5:19 PM

Review by noosa:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I am 65 and have been on Femara for 2 years. Side effects quite severe. Joint pain, lost libido, dry vagina. However it is what it is and we must continue to take. So, I decided to fight the effect, dry vagina improved with a non hormonal lubricant. For joint pain, fish oil, magnesium, zinc and calcium twice a day, big improvement. Also each morning no matter how stiff you are, go walking, it warms up the joints and gets you going for the rest of the day. I also do weights 3 times a week to increase muscle to protect bones. All have made big a difference. No weight gain. Vitamins have certainly helped keep hair and skin in good condition. Three more years of it so it's best to just keep trying to counteract the negative effects.

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2012 3:11 AM

Review by Lucydog7:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I have been on Femara for five years now. I have had some side effects like dizziness and slight joint pain. All in all, if it keeps breast cancer away I am happy to take the medication.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2012 11:55 PM

Review by Penny T:

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I'm with Little D. I've been taking Letrozole for 4 1/2 months and have just stopped. The pain has been unbearable, mostly my legs and hands. Unable to sleep even though I'm exhausted and my hot flashes are really hot fires. I was stage 1 with radiation and unable to take Tamoxifen due to being on antidepressants for some length of time. My oncologist and I will decide what direction to take at the end of March. I am 54 and all over quality rather than quantity. I have 3 grandchildren that I want to play with TODAY!

March 6, 2012 1:10 AM

Review by MVR:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Metastatic: After a year on Femara I am beginning to experience severe hair loss, bald patches on top of my head and the hair is turning thin and brittle. Insomnia for the last 2 months, pain in my joints, I was diagnosed with Glaucoma and am very forgetful, i.e. find it defficult to concentrate. But, if Femara stops the recurrence of cancer, I'll keep taking it. If it just were not for the hair loss.

March 3, 2012 1:39 PM

Review by rosies mom:

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: I had many side effects- including, hot flashes, confusion, stomach problems, vaginal dryness, tired easily and bone weakening. On the bright side-I have had no recurrence and it is now 12 years since my diagnosis with lymph node involvement.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2012 10:54 PM