User Reviews for Lamictal (Page 7)

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 7 reviews 28 medications

Bipolar Disorder 303 reviews 33 medications

8.5
Seizure Prevention 37 reviews 32 medications

7.5
Summary of Lamictal reviews 347 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been the most all round effective medication I have take and that is saying a lot for a patient of 40 years. What I mean by that is my system rejected all antidepressants and antipsychotics because of a side effect called Akathesia. I sustained on lithium and Klonopin alone for a long time. Back then doctors were scared to death of Lamictal because of the rash that few to none got when properly prescribed. I couldn't find one to prescribe so I got it from my family doctor. That was the best day of my life. I titrated the lithium while slowly adding the Lamictal with no problems. I have been taking 450mg a day ever since. I also noticed how badly 30 years of lithium had hurt me. I no longer knew myself."

The Blues Is A Healer August 7, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I took lithium for bipolar for years. Lithium took the highs & lows out leaving me with no personality at all. My Doctor changed my medicine to Lamictal & I feel I'm back to whatever normal is."

GreenElbow (taken for 10 years or more) July 28, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I didn't expect this to work when I used it to prevent mania. 225mg of venlafaxine (Effexor) caused mania. After being on low-dose Abilify and Seroquel to sleep for a few weeks, I was not really manic anymore (maybe hypo-, or had some manic symptoms- like usual, e.g. destructibility). Then I started lamotrigine, now on 100mg/day. I increased venlafaxine back to 225mg expecting to go manic, but instead I feel clear-headed. Friends have noticed I don't lose my train of thought often, and that I "seem more stable". I have been diagnosed Bipolar I, but am "more like a II," which I agree with. I also have Social Anxiety Disorder (and used to have the most severe depression imaginable). The Bipolar might be caused by S.P. Seizures."

Lacey577 July 13, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Love this medication. I do not experience any side effects and do not feel like a zombie. I feel like a normal person, but can definitely tell this medicine works."

crews1713 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal 3 years ago. I have class 2 bipolar disorder. Before the Lamictal I have always had doctors (since I was 16, I'm now 27) tell me I was depressed. But with the Zoloft and Prozac I would go into extreme manic states and clean my floors for 6 hours, spend all my money on crap, cry uncontrollably or even get violent. I was like that already just worse on those medicines. Finally seeing another doctor trying to find help he put my on Lamictal. Small dose at first and now I'm on 400mg/day. I have gained weight 15 pounds and have been on a diet for a year and see a personal trainer. Absolutely cannot lose weight. I still have all of my same bipolar symptoms but they are not uncontrollable now. I am on lithium 200mg/day"

Bipolar 2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 seven years ago in College. I refused treatment, and my relationship with my husband started to deteriorate. I started Lamictal a year ago and have totally returned to my old self. I am happy, calm, rational and I found the motivation to lose fifty pounds. The only down fall is I kind of miss the ability to process information at a very rapid rate, but I gladly trade it for a great relationship with my husband and child."

Amandajoh4251 May 15, 2013

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bipolar II when I was 18 years old. I have been on Lamictal for a year and a half now. Within a month of starting this medication I saw amazing results. I have experienced no depression and no hypomania whatsoever. After having bipolar II really run my life in my teen years and cause me to temporarily lose sight of myself, I feel like I have reconnected with who I truly am since starting this medication. I feel more myself than I have in so many years. I still feel things deeply hence unlike some antidepressants which numb you, per my own experience, Lamictal does not. If you truly have bipolar II, this is a wonderful medication. Much Love to you all on this tumultuous journey; stay strong and never lose hope."

Lea123 May 8, 2013

217 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on Prozac for 2 years for post traumatic stress disorder, in May 2012 I had gastric bypass surgery and recently went back to my doctor because I felt like I wasn't even on my Prozac anymore (I wasn't absorbing it after surgery) so he doubled the dose. After 3 days I felt way worse! So we dropped the Prozac back down and doubled my Topamax. The combination of Topamax and Prozac made me feel awful! I had uncontrollable crying, bad nausea, and was probably the most depressed I've ever been. I was diagnosed with a mild form of Bipolar, so we started on 50 mg of Lamictal for 3 days then we bumped to 100mgs. Its been 5 days, but I can honestly feel a difference! Haven't cried since, feel better mentally and I'm just happier."

Kiki30 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal changed my life! It is what I use as an antidepressant for Bipolar II (300 mg in the morning) along with Seroquel ER 100 mg at night which keeps my anxiety in check. No side effects from either."

royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I've suffered with Bipolar II for roughly 7 years, after two suicide attempts, months of insomnia, and horrible manic events, I finally found a doctor who knew what he was talking about! In combination with Prozac, I have started my titration of Lamictal. I tried Zyprexa and gained 20 pounds in a month. With Lamictal, I've lost that and more. I hardly feel hungry. I have faith that once my dose is increased I won't have as many depressed days. So far so good!"

Raanin (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm 16 and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II a month ago. I was put on Lamictal six days later. Around two weeks of the effective dosage, I started to see stability in both my depression and hypomania without any personality change or affective flattening. I did get canker sores however, but no signs of the SJS rash yet. This is overall a pretty effective medicine from my experience."

Paige T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2013

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "Been on Lamictal for about 5 yrs after many yrs of antidepressants and anxiety medicines. About 6 yrs ago after a very traumatic experience with losing my boys and husband nothing worked anymore, I started having stress induced seizures, some very serious! They put me on Lamictal and my periods of mania and mind racing slowly stopped, my restless legs syndrome went away. I actually started to feel and not be a robot. Side effects for me are drowsiness and slight weight gain (8 lbs), I'd gain any amount to feel normal. One VERY important fact to remember is dosage! Everyone has different amounts that work, and don't ever skip or adjust dosage on your own! I did it and paid the price. Hope this helps! I feel grateful to my doc for prescribing."

kimmur (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 8, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "My grandson has silent seizures and has been on Lamictal for about 3 years. He is 16 years old. He started off on a 100mg a day. He was increased to 200mg daily. His seizures has stopped but he has lost a lot of weight. I discussed this with his doctor and he said it wasn't the medication. I had already done some research and saw that it could be a side effect. He told me to take him to his family doctor. When I took him to his family doctor she said it was the Lamictal. He also has terrible acne, has a hard time concentrating, has a hard time expressing himself and has severe constipation to the point he has bowel incontinence. He has had several problems with anger issues. These symptoms started when they upped his medication."

enlow (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Lamictal for the last 2 years, its amazing and life changing! Very little side effects, besides weight gain for a lack of words, losing weight seems to be impossible for me, and I workout 5 days a week, so for that reason, I'm looking to see what else is out there. If by chance you are reading this and looking for something to help, this is IT! Really!"

christaJ April 1, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Great medication. Immediate results. Life changing for me."

Xyzzy March 23, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was treated for years with Bipolar 2 disorder using various ant-depressants. They all made my moods cycle up and down. I'm now on Lamotrigine 300mg twice a day and feel better than I have in 20 years.I'm 66 now. I had to start slow and gradually work up to my present dosage. It was definitely effective for me to do it this way."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "When I was 15, I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder. The first ever medication for it that I was on, was Lamictal. Worked absolute wonders, until it started making me have my period every two weeks. So I stopped. I absolutely felt great on it, so it disappointed me that I had to get off of it. I have had a daughter since then, so I'm thinking my body has changed because of the pregnancy. I'm trying it again, and it actually started helping the next day! My psychosis is not under control because its only a mood stabilizer, but my thinking is a little clearer, and I'm in a better mood. Not quite there, but I can feel it working."

EmilyFix March 11, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm a 30 year old female and I've had many different diagnosis as well. I've tried and failed with many antidepressants, antipsychotics, among others. Nothing ever worked or made me feel worse! Then I found Lamotrigine. I've been on 50MG a day for ten days now. After six days I was feeling great. But now I'm getting mood swings, itchy, slight headaches, and lots of crazy dreaming. I am still a little depressed and thought this is not going to work either. But thanks to all your good reviews I'm going to hang in there, wait until I find the right dose, and hopefully feel as good as all of you."

Kimberly1331 March 11, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Depression ever since I can remember. Had 15 good years on Prozac, but it stopped working. Have been trying all kinds of antidepressants & in December I was put on Lamictal. Worked up to 100 mg, stayed on for awhile, not much happening - thought it was just another med that wasn't going to work. My doc said the "therapeutic" dose so am slowly titrating up to 200 mg - currently at 175/day. Just yesterday I think I started feeling the miracle of Lamictal kicking in! Yesterday and today I have felt better than I have felt in soooooo long - don't stop before the miracle happens (unless you have bad side effects, like the rash, which thankfully I do not have). I want to shout my gratefulness from the rooftops!!"

Nickname already in use March 9, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Found Lamictal to be wonderful, with *NO* side effects (can't say that about many medicines). Really worked for mood disorders. No withdrawal symptoms when I stopped it either. While I do not currently take this, if I am having a rough time with depression/mania this is what I request."

freednerd (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Lamictal for about a month and I can see the difference the only thing is that I am itching all over. I was wondering if that is normal with this medication. I have no rashes or red bumps, just I itch ."

Minaosorio (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Evens me out... Reduces the ups and downs."

snoopytann (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine and Geodon in combination saved my life. I have been functioning normally for three years now. Hardly any noticeable side effects if any and mild to no mood swings."

Jen31 February 12, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Lamictal for about two months. Yes, I have some side effects dry mouth, double vision sometimes when I blink it goes away, joint and muscle pain and now I think acne. I take 300mg during the day. 200mg at night. I also take gabapentin for muscle aches and joint pain which really helps! I also take Klonopin when necessary I am prescribed for half twice a day and one at night but don't need it. I have a ton of energy and lost weight food no longer is my priority. I exercise daily and feel fantastic! I do have anger issues I have always has that. I am in therapy also. I think and feel like a different person so the side effects far outweigh going off medicine! Good luck."

Wkumomma February 4, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm a 33 year old female. I have been taking Lamictal for 5 years. I don't know what I would do without this medication. It allows me to lead a normal life. I have been bipolar my entire life although was diagnosed with just depression until I was hospitalized with my first manic episode at the age of 22. I take 200mg Lamictal ODT (orally dissolving tablet) morning and night. Lamictal ODT is expensive and tastes awful but the ODT works better than the regular pill form of Lamictal for me. I have no side effects I know of. I also do cognitive behavioral "talk therapy", practice Tai Chi, and do my best to get regular sleep."

Melissa T (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2013