User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 5 reviews 28 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 252 reviews 46 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 30 reviews 34 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 287 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "I was told that Lamictal might help me "find strength". Well, it did - a strength that was inside me all the time but was drowned out by fear. I have been on this pill for 10 months now and the horrible fear scenarios that have plagued me since an early age have all stopped. I am far more in charge of my life now. I only wish I could have had it before. First effects of pill were immediate, but it took some months to take full root."

JTK December 31, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been taking Lamictal for 4 years (400mg). I had severe mania for 3 years before that. Went through 13 different medicines. They all seemed to make things worse and became very destructive with not only my life but I also became dangerous to others. If it were not for Lamictal I would most surely be dead. I sometimes still go through the depression and have added antidepressants but too many side effects. I have insomnia so I also take Ambien CR and Xanax. It's not a healthy combination but it all works for the most part. I'm sad for those of you that had to stop taking Lamictal for some reason or another. It's a great thing not to be sick anymore."

Anonymous December 30, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I felt a change in my moods from Lamictal almost immediately. I haven't felt that great in years, but I developed a rash in 1-2 weeks of taking it. It started as itchy hands and feet and then I itched everywhere. I did not have a severe or life threatening Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. I did drink alcohol on this medicine and it made me get drunk really fast and I would have very bad hangovers. I had to discontinue after 1 1/2 months because of the rash. Two of my friends take this and never had rashes and they also agree it is the best medicine they have taken for bipolar."

SassyBrunette28 December 28, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been diagnosed with Bipolar. Initially, I really did not believe that I had this disorder. However, I feel so much better after 1 month on this medicine. I feel normal for the first time in 4 years. I am happy and energetic. I also notice a significant improvement in my memory and concentration. Since the medication has made a significant improvement in my quality of life, I am no longer in denial."

Anonymous December 20, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on it for three months, with a very slow ramp up phase. I've been dealing with major depression for 25 years and have been in all kinds of antidepressants, which work for a while, then stop. My doctor started to wonder if I might possibly be bipolar 2. My moods would cycle frequently within days. Deep despair to feeling just fine. Not mania. Just feeling good. Once I was on the therapeutic level, 200mg I felt so even keel. And I've been holding steady for almost two months!"

Anonymous December 20, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been effective for me. I had not realized some of my symptoms until I was unable to afford it and went off it for couple months. I had more depression, began to emotionally over eat, increased difficulty in making decisions and paying attention, and feeling of being overwhelmed. I am fortunate enough to have the means to get back on my medicines. I function without it, but this makes my disabilities more manageable."

Shred December 1, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Broke out in a rash after 2 weeks."

dnb367 November 15, 2011

"I had been on clonazepam 1mg twice a day, my new doctor doesn't like this medication and decided to switch me to 100mg Lamotrigine. I still have anxiety and horrible night sweats. I mean I SOAK the bed every night (not hormones, they checked my level a week ago because I had to have my uterus and cervix removed 3 years ago, but still have my ovaries). This is the only change in medication and the sweats are unbearable for myself and my husband. Going back to demand my old medicines back. I am glad this works for most. I don't see this listed as a side effect for anyone else, so I am confused."

cristy_jeff November 5, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking this about five years ago for anxiety/OCD/extreme irritability (bipolar spectrum) and it is a great mood stabilizer. However, it seems all great remedies have their side effects. For me (40-something female) that meant some hair loss and memory issues. Also, I've noticed that if I miss even one dose (I take 150 mg twice a day) I start to get really agitated and irritable, so I'm afraid that it's permanently altered my biochemistry - guess I'm stuck with it. I still think I'm better off than the fat zombie most women become on antidepressants."

Anonymous November 4, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been a life saver for me. I gained 20 lbs on Abilify. I experienced horrible side effects from Geodon--I thought my legs would run away from me. I cried all day on Wellbutrin. Nothing seemed to work. After slowly increasing the dosage on Lamictal, I started feeling better. I got out of bed. After about 2 months, I'm back to normal, no tears, sleeping only 8 or 9 hours instead of 12, going to yoga 5 times a week instead of watching Law and Order SVU reruns. I'm back to "normal" whatever that means. I am also on Topamax and Pristiq. Great cocktail for me."

Pandora2 October 26, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I am taking this medicine to treat Bipolar Disorder Type 1 and I have never had a side effect. I have been taking it for about 5 years in conjunction with Gabapentin. About six years ago I started having dual episodes, which were new to me as I had only experienced mania or depression. After a few stays in the hospital and being introduced to Lamictal, I have not had a dual episode, or any episode at all. Lamictal has also stopped 96% of the paranoia feeling that has never gone away."

danforeman October 5, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Caused anxiety, panic attacks and rash."

qwerty123312 October 4, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine did its job. Took about a week for me to feel the actual effects. But I had to discontinue use because I developed a really bad rash around my mouth. I had to stop because the rash and other side effects. I wish those side effects never happened or else it would have been something that I would have wanted to be apart of my medication regimen. I also have Schizoaffective Disorder, it really helped me manage those unusual thoughts and behavior. Otherwise this would have been my medication of choice."

Killer Whales September 29, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "It works better than other medicines but I still have some days that it looks like I'm without treatment and I repeat some behaviors of the past when I was first told I was (am!) a bipolar. But I love Lamictal. I took as far as 500 mg, but that was not much better than 200 mg per day."

Cpatain Severm September 2, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is very helpful in controlling my mood swings. What I like is that you can start on a low dose and work your way up until you find the dose that works for you."

jennpugli August 31, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Seemed to help my rapid cycling at first but the cycling would start again after a short time and the dose would be raised. Each time the "good" period got shorter. I also found that my suicidal thoughts/visions increased while taking this medicine. Side effects are bad - all over itching, headache, thinning hair, etc. "

Anonymous August 23, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamotrigine has been very effective for my Bipolar. Coming off Lamotrigine is very hard but I found the supplement 'milk thistle' very helpful and only managed to come off it completely with its help. I am back on the lamotrigine now as I my moods became extreme again without it."

mbrinkley August 22, 2011

For Seizure Prevention "I'd been having partial seizures every 2 weeks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became suicidal and uninterested in anything. About 2 yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizure now come more frequently and randomly."

Anonymous August 15, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Gave me really bad headaches, nausea and all over body rash."

qwerty_lv August 12, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Thought I was going okay. Feeling the best I had in awhile. But, what it has done now is destroy my self confidence. I have no word retrieval, memory black spots. I value my intelligence, it sometimes feels like all I have left."

otfc42 August 10, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has changed my life. I started on Lamictal 2 1/2 months ago and I can't believe the clarity and happiness in my day to day life. For years, I have been on various antidepressants. I had never been to a specialist, only my primary care physician to discuss the problem. I got to a point when I couldn't remember when I was happy and felt normal. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but no mention of Bi Polar. My severe mood swings were affecting everything in my life. My relationship with my husband, kids, my lack of motivation. I felt like there was a constant cloud over my head, when I had nothing to be depressed about. The Psychiatrist I went to diagnosed me with Bipolar and started the Lamical."

Anonymous August 8, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Keeps my mood even 24/7...also I have noticed no side effects either. Been on this medication for 9 years 300mgs daily."

Anonymous July 31, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal combined with Seroquel XR has changed the quality of my life. My obsessive compulsive disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder were masked for many years by the severe depression. Eventually a different doctor realized it was not enough. The Lamictal was added and helped to calm my OCD but when the Seroquel was added it was awesome; I felt normal. If the Lamictal is helping but you still don't feel right, your doctor may increase the dose. Talk to him/her often and don't minimize a symptom because you think it is too small to mention. Some symptoms overlap and may be masking an untreated problem. Summary: Lamictal works. No side effects. I'm grateful for it every day."

cscan558 July 31, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Wonderful medicine, changed my life for the better. I am a completely different person behaviorally, but still the same personality! I do not get depressed or anxious like I used to for 20 years, while on SSRI antidepressants. This medicine is a miracle."

jag020372 July 19, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I suffer from bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. I have been on Lamictal for about three weeks and I am taking 150 gm a day and I already feel better than I have felt in years and this is just the beginning. I am having no side effects and I am feeling so much better I can't wait until it becomes full circle and I feel the full effects of Lamictal. Love it, there is hope. Don't give up I am also taking Paxil 20mg."

Dru2011 July 18, 2011