User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 28 medications

7.8
Summary of Lamictal reviews 233 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: The help I received from Lamictal was outstanding. It took a few weeks but my down cycle wasn't nearly as bad and the mania all together stopped. In time the cycles all stopped. BUT the side effects were too much to handle. I started to lose hair, my fingernails were so think I broke nails typing (even on many vitamins and prescription vitamin D). I would bruise just by a bracelet resting on my arm for a few minutes and then the bruise wouldn't go away, the worst side effect was terrible circulation. I have been on Topamax and experienced the poor circulation they talk about all the time, but this was something else entirely. I couldn't feel my finger tips and my feet had NO feeling. My hands were ice cold all the time.

July 9, 2010 7:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Decent. Little to no side effects. Helped with a really nasty depression, but keep forgetting to take it, so may not be doing entirely what it's supposed to. Oops! But no weird effects from forgetting it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 28, 2010 1:03 AM
Review by debcat53: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I found this medication very good for my bipolar depressive episodes. No side effects, and as I take it continuously it helps prevent recurrences of my down cycle.

June 26, 2010 3:07 PM
Review by CelestialEphemera: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed with Bipolar II and PTSD. I have been on 300mg of Lamictal for over 3 years and it is, indeed, a life saver! When I first started taking it I felt as if a warm gentle hand reached in and touched me exactly where it hurt. As I write this I recall that before starting Lamictal I had excruciating pain in my solar plexus. I was in a deep state of bipolar depression with spikes of rage and extreme anxiety at least 2 times each month. Lamictal has made these mixed state less severe and not as frequent. I also take Paxil CR. As for side effects, at first I had headaches and nausea but I endured them gladly.

June 22, 2010 10:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This drug has been a life-saver for me. It has worked where other mood stabilizers either didn't work or had intolerable side effects. I've used it for 8 years now, at doses ranging from 150-425 mg. Currently I'm on 250 mg. When I started Lamictal I had a bipolar diagnosis and took it as an add-on to lithium. My diagnosis has since been changed to recurrent major depression and a personality disorder, but Lamictal still works, along with an antidepressant. I do get (non-dangerous) skin rashes from this unless I take antihistamines daily, but it's been worth it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 26, 2010 11:32 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lamictal 400mg for 7 years. I was diagnosed with bipolar 10 years ago this year and prior to Lamictal had been on many different drugs with negative results. I was very discouraged, thinking life could never as it was prior to bipolar entering my life - but then started on Lamictal and along with Wellbutrin and have not had to change medicines since. Occasionally, I do add Topamax to it during the winter months for low moods. Other than that - life is good!

May 9, 2010 10:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've used Lamictal for years and it's pretty good. I have some side effects, but I don't get so down so often, and it makes me tolerable to live with.

April 21, 2010 10:28 PM
Review by Rachael.Oest: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I have been diagnosed with uncontrollable seizure disorder. I am 29 and have no prior seizure problems. They began when I was 27 for reasons my physicians cannot explain. I have no warning or recollection of them when they occur. In fact when I do have them, people around me tell me I just had a seizure and I never believe them. I don't have a warning such as a strange smell, taste, or feeling that a lot of people with seizure disorders experience. I was on Dilantin for 2 years and was still having seizures 3 to 4 times a month (which is a LOT). Recently (about 6 months ago) I was prescribed Lamictal (Lamotrigine) and have not had a seizure since. I recommend talking to your doctor about this medication. It really worked for me! Good luck.

April 8, 2010 7:04 PM
Review by Frustrated with Meds: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I have been taking Lamictal for the past several months, with a maximum does of 500 mg/day (I was on 150/day, but that wasn't controlling my seizures). Unfortunately, the seizures have not stopped. I haven't missed a dose, yet they keep coming back. My seizures on Tegretol were so infrequent (1-2/year) and now they are much more frequent. Plus, it is giving me horrible acne on my face and chest. And strange itchiness on my skin now and again. Also, I cannot sleep well. Overall, I do not recommend this, but who knows, everyone is different.

March 15, 2010 9:22 PM
Review by imbunky2: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: With Schizoaffective Disorder, as well as the other psychiatric illnesses, years of medication adjustment and readjustment are necessary. Lamictal was recommended for me, at the same time, by both my psychiatrist and neurologist. Lamictal was added to my usual medication regimen. I feel it has been one of my "miracle medications". I've never experienced any side effects from Lamictal.

March 8, 2010 12:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I thought it worked really well at first but I started getting a rash so I stopped now withdrawal is hard

January 30, 2010 9:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I could not tell a difference in myself while taking this medication . To me, a major side effect was hair loss.

January 26, 2010 6:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Be sure to do your own research on withdrawal symptoms and difficulties BEFORE going on this drug. Although it may work well, if you ever want to get off of it (i.e. for pregnancy), then the withdrawal can be hard.

January 20, 2010 9:38 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been on this medicine for almost 4 months and it has worked wonders on stabilizing my mood. No more deep dark depression no more crazy manic episodes. I take 150mg in the morning and I have no side effects at all! This is a great medicine for me!

January 19, 2010 10:35 AM
Review by CJ513: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been on a low dose, 25mg for about 3 weeks, then upped it to 50mg then will go to 100mg in 14 days. I think this will be sufficient as it is working already and my moods are great, still able to feel stress and recognize the importance of that. But, I am very forgetful of little details, which is irritating at work because of course it affects my project output. It was fine with the lower dose so I'll ride it out and see how I adjust. Other than that, I love it, it has helped me with a major crisis and was able to keep it together. Thank you!

January 15, 2010 1:09 PM
Review by Louhead: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lamictal for almost 2 years. I've tried various anti-depressants to help stabilize my mood disorder, but those always seemed to make my depressive episodes worse. Lamictal gave me back my personality. I've recently lost my insurance, and cannot afford my Lamictal, and I've rapidly noticed my moods changing once again. It's a horrible feeling once I've discovered what it was like to not have constant mood changes... Lamictal is a wonderful mood stabilizer!

January 10, 2010 1:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking lamotrigine along with bupropion for ten weeks. It wasn't until around 8 weeks that I could say without a doubt that the medication is working. Strenuous exercise helps to relieve the depression and control mania.

December 17, 2009 4:49 AM
Review by CanBx: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I've been taking Lamictal for 7 months for seizures. It was prescribed by the Neurologist. One month after I started taking Lamictal, I suffered a stroke with an epilepsy attack. From day one, I told my doctor about all the stomach ache from taking Lamictal. She did not stop or changed the medication and now after having a biopsy to the stomach, it was found to be caused by Lamictal. I try to tell the doctor but she refuses to accept that Lamictal was causing my stomach aches. Lamictal is the only medication I am taking.

December 10, 2009 8:50 PM

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: BEST ever! Been on most medicines for "rapid cycle bipolar" disease. This works with 1 dose daily, and only occasionally something else is needed. Great medicine, no side effects for me.

November 26, 2009 2:03 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal works great for my bipolar, but has caused some vision changes.

November 17, 2009 7:52 PM
Review by bipolarbabe: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: The best medicine of the ones that I have tried. I still think I'm wacky. I have been losing my hair though, it's obvious when I take a shower or brush my hair. My spouse noticed my hair loss too. I guess the question is would I rather lose my hair or my mind?

November 17, 2009 3:02 AM

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I have taken Lamictal for 13 years. The day before I started it I had the last tonic-clonic seizure I have had.

October 28, 2009 9:13 PM
Review by Rx2009: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I got off to a bad start with this one (dose too high), but I've been seizure free with it. As a bonus, it is also effective in treating bipolar symptoms. Relatively non-invasive too!

October 27, 2009 2:16 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seen the best results in mood and energy level upon adding this drug two years ago. A huge relief after 10 years of struggling to find a medication regime that worked long-term with minimal side-effects.

October 27, 2009 1:01 AM
Review by ErinW: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal has been a lifesaving mood stabilizer for me. The only serious downside is that it causes what I call 'old lady skin'- thin, fragile, and poor healing, as well as mucous membrane fragility. I initially did very well on 200 mg and suddenly developed severe rash eight months in (rare for it to take that long). I successfully (and slowly) rechallenged, and 200mg is where the skin issues kick in. I'm back down to 150mg and my slow-healing bug bites from the summer are finally fading away! HOWEVER, even if I had skin like the Crypt Keeper for the rest of my days, I can't praise Lamictal enough. It gave me my life back. What's a little skin in exchange?

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2009 10:50 PM