User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 28 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 215 reviews 48 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 27 reviews 34 medications

7.8
Summary of Lamictal reviews 246 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 Severe Mania episodes for many years and PTSD. I am on Lamictal, 200mg, Topamax 100mg, and Abilify 30mg. This is a wonderful combination and the first time in my life that a combination works with little to no side effects. I have a significant immediate family history of suicide and although the thoughts are always there I don't act on them and can ignore them with the help of this medication combo and my severe manic episodes are from 8 to 9 severe episodes a year down to 3 to 4 which for me is almost "normal". With a little more tweaking of this combination I may be able to get it down a little lower than that, we are working on it. I've been on this combination and changing the dosing for about 2 years now.

December 30, 2010 4:08 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: This is a great medicine. Many people don't know about using it as an alternative to SSRIs for mood stabilization, depression and bipolar disorder. I've been on it for 1 year. The biggest benefits of this medicine is that it stabilizes my mood without feeling weird (fake, plastic, hyper) with very few side effects. The sexual side effects and weight gain I experienced on Prozac, and the restlessness and irritability of Celexa and Welbutrin, just don't occur for me on this medicine. The drawback for me has been a narrowing of my emotional bandwidth. I rarely feel spontaneous excitement or joy. This may be partly because of life circumstances, but I'm certain that this medicine is also playing a role here. High anxiety, may not be related to this medicine.

December 11, 2010 2:49 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Lamictal now for about 4 years, I haven't had any side effects that I can tell but after reading others experience of memory loss, that could be one that I do have. I take the maximum dose that is prescribed now and I can't say enough about this medication. I was so totally lost, severe depression, suicidal, lowest of lows, it was so bad, I couldn't get my ducks in a row (my mothers comments to me, daily). Now, I'm feeling in control of my life, I'm back with my spouse and caring for my mother, who's ducks have scattered about, and I'm living happily.

November 28, 2010 11:37 PM

Review by bipolar_baby:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am very satisfied taking Lamictal 100mg daily. For the last two years from my most recent manic attack, I have not experienced any bad side effects about the pill. Unlike Depakote and Seroquel, it gave me a massive weight gain. Lamictal is good for people if you are not getting any rashes. I give this drug a rating of 9 for its efficacy.

November 7, 2010 1:24 AM

Review by TiffRCS:

For Bipolar Disorder: It's so nice to be sane without side effects.

October 20, 2010 10:10 PM

Review by Star_Lover:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lamictal for almost two years now, along with Lithium. I like Lamictal a lot. I have to get off Lithium because it's raising my blood pressure and causing weight gain. Lamictal doesn't cause any side effects that are dangerous, I think I have memory problems and concentration issues but nothing too bad. I'm a full time second year college student with a 3.8 GPA so if anything this medicine is helping me do well in school. For anyone who had a bad reaction I feel bad for you because when this drug works it's doing the business. For sure, good luck new users. Try never to increase your dosage too high; remember the higher it is the harder to get off.

October 11, 2010 5:19 AM

Review by collinscj2009:

For Bipolar Disorder: You don't even know it is working. You just feel better.

October 4, 2010 8:15 AM

Review by Chris12345:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've had bipolar for 10 years, and just recently (last 2 months) switched to Lamictal and am experiencing no side effects. In the past, I have been on Depakote (5 years, bad blood counts) so switched to Lithium (tremors and shakes), and am now on Lamictal/Geodon.

September 30, 2010 7:12 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Before starting Lamictal I'd been hospitalized 5 times for rapid cycling bipolar disorder 1, made one serious suicide attempt, and had more than 50 ECT treatments. I've been on almost every mood stabilizer, antidepressant and antipsychotics. Lamictal has been the most helpful, and has made me feel like almost a normal person- living and back to professional life. Side effects; hair thin, nails okay. Sometimes memory, and concentration problems- but hey, I did have a lot of shock therapy. Once I had sudden, severe double vision that lasted several hours. Overall has been most effective with best side effects for me, smoother moods, less severe, better weight, better skin, better libido, better gastrointestinal effects than lithium, other mood stabilizers or antipsychotics.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2010 11:56 PM

Review by Chick ie:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am 58 years old and diagnosed last year with mild bipolar disorder, agoraphobia, anxiety. I felt very happy most of my life although having behavioral problems, and didn't start having real problems until I was 50. I tried Wellbutrin and it gave me hives. Celexa made me so wired that I couldn't sleep and felt like I was going crazy. Effexor worked but I was tired all day. Lamictal was miraculous. I have taken it for a year. It gives me energy, I feel happy and motivated. I don't feel angry anymore. I LOVE it. I gave it a 9 because it gives me memory problems which I do not like. But I feel that it is really a lack of concentration. So I try harder to concentrate and it helps when I do more mental things, like read.

September 2, 2010 1:33 PM

For Seizure Prevention: I have been on Lamictal for seven years (300 mg morning and 200 mg in the evening). I had been on Topamax before but my neurologist switched because of side effects. After the switch, my amount of seizures increased dramatically to about 5 per month and I was having them without any warning. It was as if I was not on any medication! I have always been controlled with medicines. The neurologist refused to believe it was from the Lamictal and kept saying it was because my body had to adjust to the change in medicine. After about 6 months, a doctor at a different hospital put me on Keppra in addition to the Lamictal. I have only had one seizure since.

August 12, 2010 7:19 PM

Review by mtnborder007:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine is a life saver. This one keeps me away from depression and works really well with other medicines. I'm now only taking Zoloft with it and I have never felt so good in my 8 years of being medicated! These two drugs are easy on the body and have very few side effects like the anti-psychotics. Please talk to your doctor about it, you will not regret it!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2010 12:22 PM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: This medicine has helped me be more normal. I'm not unstable at all unless I skip my medicines and I'm even in university although it's very hard on me. When I take my Lamictal if I did an all nighter I go straight to bed and miss class so it does make you tired but I wouldn't recommend missing your medication for more than one night. Lamictal really helped me lead a normal life though. It's a great mood stabilizer and helped me have no relapses at all. I'm on Risperdal, Paxil, Lamictal and Geodon right now but trying to get off Paxil and Risperdal completely cause it's made me gain a lot of weight.

August 2, 2010 4:23 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: The help I received from Lamictal was outstanding. It took a few weeks but my down cycle wasn't nearly as bad and the mania all together stopped. In time the cycles all stopped. BUT the side effects were too much to handle. I started to lose hair, my fingernails were so think I broke nails typing (even on many vitamins and prescription vitamin D). I would bruise just by a bracelet resting on my arm for a few minutes and then the bruise wouldn't go away, the worst side effect was terrible circulation. I have been on Topamax and experienced the poor circulation they talk about all the time, but this was something else entirely. I couldn't feel my finger tips and my feet had NO feeling. My hands were ice cold all the time.

July 9, 2010 7:23 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Decent. Little to no side effects. Helped with a really nasty depression, but keep forgetting to take it, so may not be doing entirely what it's supposed to. Oops! But no weird effects from forgetting it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2010 1:03 AM

Review by debcat53:

For Bipolar Disorder: I found this medication very good for my bipolar depressive episodes. No side effects, and as I take it continuously it helps prevent recurrences of my down cycle.

June 26, 2010 3:07 PM

Review by CelestialEphemera:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed with Bipolar II and PTSD. I have been on 300mg of Lamictal for over 3 years and it is, indeed, a life saver! When I first started taking it I felt as if a warm gentle hand reached in and touched me exactly where it hurt. As I write this I recall that before starting Lamictal I had excruciating pain in my solar plexus. I was in a deep state of bipolar depression with spikes of rage and extreme anxiety at least 2 times each month. Lamictal has made these mixed state less severe and not as frequent. I also take Paxil CR. As for side effects, at first I had headaches and nausea but I endured them gladly.

June 22, 2010 10:06 PM

This drug has been a life-saver for me. It has worked where other mood stabilizers either didn't work or had intolerable side effects. I've used it for 8 years now, at doses ranging from 150-425 mg. Currently I'm on 250 mg. When I started Lamictal I had a bipolar diagnosis and took it as an add-on to lithium. My diagnosis has since been changed to recurrent major depression and a personality disorder, but Lamictal still works, along with an antidepressant. I do get (non-dangerous) skin rashes from this unless I take antihistamines daily, but it's been worth it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2010 11:32 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lamictal 400mg for 7 years. I was diagnosed with bipolar 10 years ago this year and prior to Lamictal had been on many different drugs with negative results. I was very discouraged, thinking life could never as it was prior to bipolar entering my life - but then started on Lamictal and along with Wellbutrin and have not had to change medicines since. Occasionally, I do add Topamax to it during the winter months for low moods. Other than that - life is good!

May 9, 2010 10:11 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I've used Lamictal for years and it's pretty good. I have some side effects, but I don't get so down so often, and it makes me tolerable to live with.

April 21, 2010 10:28 PM

Review by Rachael.Oest:

For Seizure Prevention: I have been diagnosed with uncontrollable seizure disorder. I am 29 and have no prior seizure problems. They began when I was 27 for reasons my physicians cannot explain. I have no warning or recollection of them when they occur. In fact when I do have them, people around me tell me I just had a seizure and I never believe them. I don't have a warning such as a strange smell, taste, or feeling that a lot of people with seizure disorders experience. I was on Dilantin for 2 years and was still having seizures 3 to 4 times a month (which is a LOT). Recently (about 6 months ago) I was prescribed Lamictal (Lamotrigine) and have not had a seizure since. I recommend talking to your doctor about this medication. It really worked for me! Good luck.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2010 7:04 PM

Review by Frustrated with Meds:

For Seizure Prevention: I have been taking Lamictal for the past several months, with a maximum does of 500 mg/day (I was on 150/day, but that wasn't controlling my seizures). Unfortunately, the seizures have not stopped. I haven't missed a dose, yet they keep coming back. My seizures on Tegretol were so infrequent (1-2/year) and now they are much more frequent. Plus, it is giving me horrible acne on my face and chest. And strange itchiness on my skin now and again. Also, I cannot sleep well. Overall, I do not recommend this, but who knows, everyone is different.

March 15, 2010 9:22 PM

Review by imbunky2:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: With Schizoaffective Disorder, as well as the other psychiatric illnesses, years of medication adjustment and readjustment are necessary. Lamictal was recommended for me, at the same time, by both my psychiatrist and neurologist. Lamictal was added to my usual medication regimen. I feel it has been one of my "miracle medications". I've never experienced any side effects from Lamictal.

March 8, 2010 12:48 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I thought it worked really well at first but I started getting a rash so I stopped now withdrawal is hard

January 30, 2010 9:46 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I could not tell a difference in myself while taking this medication . To me, a major side effect was hair loss.

January 26, 2010 6:11 PM