User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 29 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 221 reviews 48 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 28 reviews 34 medications

7.9
Summary of Lamictal reviews 253 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder: I use this medicine for depression and it is really effective.

May 20, 2011 9:03 PM

Review by volynn:

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Lamictal for 4 months at 100mg to treat bipolar disorder type I. My mood swings decreased only slightly. I discontinued medication due to the fact that it made me very itchy.

May 14, 2011 7:49 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I haven't been on Lamictal for very long yet. But I want to thank all the people who shared how it has helped them. I am having a very hard time hanging on right now. I am getting married to the love of my life in 2 1/2 months and could care less. I am actually thinking about canceling the wedding altogehter. Depression is impacting my work and my relationships with my family. I don't see much point in hanging on at all. Reading about how others have benefitted gives me a ray of hope that it will help me too at some point in the future if I can just hold on long enough. Thanks.

May 4, 2011 12:18 PM

Review by jmac83:

For Bipolar Disorder: Miracle. I have been on 6 different medications over a 10 year period since I was 17 and nothing seemed to be working. My family doctor was no longer capable of helping me and I was referred to a psychiatrist. He immediately recognized my symptoms, put me on Lamictal, and I feel like a new man. The suicidal thoughts, the racing, the lack of sleep...all of it reduced down to almost nothing. I still have anxiety at times, but I take a Xanax every now and then to just help me calm down. But overall, my quality of life has improved by 99%. I do, much to my embarrassment, seem to have erectile dysfunction. It is not that I have a problem getting an erection, but it seems to be a self confidence issue.

April 12, 2011 8:33 AM

Review by liquidcrystalcompass:

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked great when added to lithium for mixed manic episode. No side effects but I got a rash and had to quit taking it. The rash gradually disappeared, luckily.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2011 12:28 AM

Review by sharkyleroux:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and have found Lamictal (lamotrigine) to not only balance my mood, but to elevate me back to feeling human. This is profound and very refreshing. Having experienced mild to very severe depression all of my life, I have also had an acute and moderately severe manic episodes. Over the past two months I have worked my Lamictal dose very slowly up to 200mgs of Lamictal coupled with 25 to 100mg of Seroquel (primarily for insomnia and secondarily for mood). Side effects have included memory loss, word recall problems, and distinct weight gain (even though I exercise often and rigorously). Overall I would say this is a wonderful medicine.

March 12, 2011 5:00 AM

Review by redhotgma:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am a young 60 year old female. No one believes me that I am really 60! I was just diagnosed with Bipolar 2. I have been depressed for years and the antidepressants just stopped working. I over the last 8 months had become very angry, irritable, happy at times, and severely depressed to the point of wanting to die every day. My doctor finally sent me to a mental health professional and she diagnosed me bipolar. I started taking Lamictal and the first week I noticed I was feeling more even and not depressed. A month later now I feel as if I was handed my life back. I did have nausea with it, but that went away. Now I feel at peace inside! I have no depression and am finally HAPPY. Thank you Lamictal.

February 1, 2011 2:43 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 Severe Mania episodes for many years and PTSD. I am on Lamictal, 200mg, Topamax 100mg, and Abilify 30mg. This is a wonderful combination and the first time in my life that a combination works with little to no side effects. I have a significant immediate family history of suicide and although the thoughts are always there I don't act on them and can ignore them with the help of this medication combo and my severe manic episodes are from 8 to 9 severe episodes a year down to 3 to 4 which for me is almost "normal". With a little more tweaking of this combination I may be able to get it down a little lower than that, we are working on it. I've been on this combination and changing the dosing for about 2 years now.

December 30, 2010 4:08 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: This is a great medicine. Many people don't know about using it as an alternative to SSRIs for mood stabilization, depression and bipolar disorder. I've been on it for 1 year. The biggest benefits of this medicine is that it stabilizes my mood without feeling weird (fake, plastic, hyper) with very few side effects. The sexual side effects and weight gain I experienced on Prozac, and the restlessness and irritability of Celexa and Welbutrin, just don't occur for me on this medicine. The drawback for me has been a narrowing of my emotional bandwidth. I rarely feel spontaneous excitement or joy. This may be partly because of life circumstances, but I'm certain that this medicine is also playing a role here. High anxiety, may not be related to this medicine.

December 11, 2010 2:49 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Lamictal now for about 4 years, I haven't had any side effects that I can tell but after reading others experience of memory loss, that could be one that I do have. I take the maximum dose that is prescribed now and I can't say enough about this medication. I was so totally lost, severe depression, suicidal, lowest of lows, it was so bad, I couldn't get my ducks in a row (my mothers comments to me, daily). Now, I'm feeling in control of my life, I'm back with my spouse and caring for my mother, who's ducks have scattered about, and I'm living happily.

November 28, 2010 11:37 PM

Review by bipolar_baby:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am very satisfied taking Lamictal 100mg daily. For the last two years from my most recent manic attack, I have not experienced any bad side effects about the pill. Unlike Depakote and Seroquel, it gave me a massive weight gain. Lamictal is good for people if you are not getting any rashes. I give this drug a rating of 9 for its efficacy.

November 7, 2010 1:24 AM

Review by TiffRCS:

For Bipolar Disorder: It's so nice to be sane without side effects.

October 20, 2010 10:10 PM

Review by Star_Lover:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lamictal for almost two years now, along with Lithium. I like Lamictal a lot. I have to get off Lithium because it's raising my blood pressure and causing weight gain. Lamictal doesn't cause any side effects that are dangerous, I think I have memory problems and concentration issues but nothing too bad. I'm a full time second year college student with a 3.8 GPA so if anything this medicine is helping me do well in school. For anyone who had a bad reaction I feel bad for you because when this drug works it's doing the business. For sure, good luck new users. Try never to increase your dosage too high; remember the higher it is the harder to get off.

October 11, 2010 5:19 AM

Review by collinscj2009:

For Bipolar Disorder: You don't even know it is working. You just feel better.

October 4, 2010 8:15 AM

Review by Chris12345:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've had bipolar for 10 years, and just recently (last 2 months) switched to Lamictal and am experiencing no side effects. In the past, I have been on Depakote (5 years, bad blood counts) so switched to Lithium (tremors and shakes), and am now on Lamictal/Geodon.

September 30, 2010 7:12 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Before starting Lamictal I'd been hospitalized 5 times for rapid cycling bipolar disorder 1, made one serious suicide attempt, and had more than 50 ECT treatments. I've been on almost every mood stabilizer, antidepressant and antipsychotics. Lamictal has been the most helpful, and has made me feel like almost a normal person- living and back to professional life. Side effects; hair thin, nails okay. Sometimes memory, and concentration problems- but hey, I did have a lot of shock therapy. Once I had sudden, severe double vision that lasted several hours. Overall has been most effective with best side effects for me, smoother moods, less severe, better weight, better skin, better libido, better gastrointestinal effects than lithium, other mood stabilizers or antipsychotics.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2010 11:56 PM

Review by Chick ie:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am 58 years old and diagnosed last year with mild bipolar disorder, agoraphobia, anxiety. I felt very happy most of my life although having behavioral problems, and didn't start having real problems until I was 50. I tried Wellbutrin and it gave me hives. Celexa made me so wired that I couldn't sleep and felt like I was going crazy. Effexor worked but I was tired all day. Lamictal was miraculous. I have taken it for a year. It gives me energy, I feel happy and motivated. I don't feel angry anymore. I LOVE it. I gave it a 9 because it gives me memory problems which I do not like. But I feel that it is really a lack of concentration. So I try harder to concentrate and it helps when I do more mental things, like read.

September 2, 2010 1:33 PM

For Seizure Prevention: I have been on Lamictal for seven years (300 mg morning and 200 mg in the evening). I had been on Topamax before but my neurologist switched because of side effects. After the switch, my amount of seizures increased dramatically to about 5 per month and I was having them without any warning. It was as if I was not on any medication! I have always been controlled with medicines. The neurologist refused to believe it was from the Lamictal and kept saying it was because my body had to adjust to the change in medicine. After about 6 months, a doctor at a different hospital put me on Keppra in addition to the Lamictal. I have only had one seizure since.

August 12, 2010 7:19 PM

Review by mtnborder007:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine is a life saver. This one keeps me away from depression and works really well with other medicines. I'm now only taking Zoloft with it and I have never felt so good in my 8 years of being medicated! These two drugs are easy on the body and have very few side effects like the anti-psychotics. Please talk to your doctor about it, you will not regret it!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2010 12:22 PM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: This medicine has helped me be more normal. I'm not unstable at all unless I skip my medicines and I'm even in university although it's very hard on me. When I take my Lamictal if I did an all nighter I go straight to bed and miss class so it does make you tired but I wouldn't recommend missing your medication for more than one night. Lamictal really helped me lead a normal life though. It's a great mood stabilizer and helped me have no relapses at all. I'm on Risperdal, Paxil, Lamictal and Geodon right now but trying to get off Paxil and Risperdal completely cause it's made me gain a lot of weight.

August 2, 2010 4:23 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: The help I received from Lamictal was outstanding. It took a few weeks but my down cycle wasn't nearly as bad and the mania all together stopped. In time the cycles all stopped. BUT the side effects were too much to handle. I started to lose hair, my fingernails were so think I broke nails typing (even on many vitamins and prescription vitamin D). I would bruise just by a bracelet resting on my arm for a few minutes and then the bruise wouldn't go away, the worst side effect was terrible circulation. I have been on Topamax and experienced the poor circulation they talk about all the time, but this was something else entirely. I couldn't feel my finger tips and my feet had NO feeling. My hands were ice cold all the time.

July 9, 2010 7:23 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Decent. Little to no side effects. Helped with a really nasty depression, but keep forgetting to take it, so may not be doing entirely what it's supposed to. Oops! But no weird effects from forgetting it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2010 1:03 AM

Review by debcat53:

For Bipolar Disorder: I found this medication very good for my bipolar depressive episodes. No side effects, and as I take it continuously it helps prevent recurrences of my down cycle.

June 26, 2010 3:07 PM

Review by CelestialEphemera:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed with Bipolar II and PTSD. I have been on 300mg of Lamictal for over 3 years and it is, indeed, a life saver! When I first started taking it I felt as if a warm gentle hand reached in and touched me exactly where it hurt. As I write this I recall that before starting Lamictal I had excruciating pain in my solar plexus. I was in a deep state of bipolar depression with spikes of rage and extreme anxiety at least 2 times each month. Lamictal has made these mixed state less severe and not as frequent. I also take Paxil CR. As for side effects, at first I had headaches and nausea but I endured them gladly.

June 22, 2010 10:06 PM

This drug has been a life-saver for me. It has worked where other mood stabilizers either didn't work or had intolerable side effects. I've used it for 8 years now, at doses ranging from 150-425 mg. Currently I'm on 250 mg. When I started Lamictal I had a bipolar diagnosis and took it as an add-on to lithium. My diagnosis has since been changed to recurrent major depression and a personality disorder, but Lamictal still works, along with an antidepressant. I do get (non-dangerous) skin rashes from this unless I take antihistamines daily, but it's been worth it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate