User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 5 reviews 28 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 266 reviews 32 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 33 reviews 31 medications

7.4
Summary of Lamictal reviews 304 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine was horrible for me. Not only did it not help - it made my symptoms worse! The whole time I was on Lamictal, I was a raving lunatic and it brought my friends and family to their wit's end. I was dizzy all the time and never felt hungry. My hormones were all out of whack, causing my periods to be irregular and horrific. It also messed with my birth control and I wound up pregnant - a pregnancy that later failed due to further complications. I know this medicine works for some people but it's not a miracle for everyone. I was on it for about 4 or 5 months."

Liz89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "It seems to have leveled my moods somewhat, or at least reduced my agitation. It is also inexpensive (compared to say, Lexapro). I soon developed problems with my eyes in that they are itchy, red and swollen and I have decided to discontinue due to my fear of getting Steven-Johnson syndrome. It is meant to be a rare side effect, but seems to be more common than I thought. This medication has also increased my appetite, given me strange dreams, and headaches."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I started the medicines and it worked okay. Then they started to up my dosage and I felt sluggish. Once I got to the amount I was supposed to be at, I was paranoid, distant and irritable. My period is 10 times worse. The cramps are unbearable. My face broke out and I look like the before picture of a proactive commercial. I have to pee frequently. I'm getting off these medicine as soon as possible. I've been taking them for 5 months now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder exactly one year ago. After about 4 weeks on Lamictal, I noticed a huge change. I could feel feelings again. The bubble of depression, rage and mania I lived in popped. I could communicate again, without getting frustrated with everyone. I am taking Lamictal with Wellbutrin and Abilify. No side-effects and my life - both professional and personal - has done a complete about-face. I am happy again. I remember how happy feels, and I'm there."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on it for years. My sons are also on it..if taken as the directions of your doctor its almost perfect. Our moods are stable and we almost feel normal."

dondih1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication made me sleepy when I first started it or have to bump up my dosage for a few days, but the side effect goes away. I take mine at night before bed for bipolar, this has drastically improved my quality of life. Moods, organization (helped, I'm also ADHD) anxiety, and sleeping pattern. I've been on it for almost a year now and won't ever go back. The only bad thing is when I forget to take it for more then two doses, I go manic and don't sleep. So remember to take it!!"

jadoreprana March 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal saved my life. Literally. Helped with suicidal thoughts and a feeling of going crazy beyond control. Later I added Cymbalta and Provigal as well. Able to have a more regular life now! Takes awhile to kick in since you have to build up the dose but stick it out- definitely worth the wait. (I've tried several others and Lamictal is by far the best)."

Anonymous March 9, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Varying levels of depression since early 20's. Anxiety also an issue. 2 bouts of major depression: one in late 40's and one in mid 50's. No hospitalizations. Now 63 yo. Taking 200mg for 2yrs, - minimal side effects, and very effective in mood regulation. Never had a manic episode, but had been fairly quick to anger and somewhat argumentative. I would have to say this medicine has helped a lot. Some changes in my life circumstances may also be helping (retired) -- but I have to give this medication an endorsement. Worry a bit about taking it long-term -- but so far, no side effects."

Good Luck With It March 3, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I am 47 and I have suffered from depression as long as I can remember. I have been on so many medications for depression, I lost count. The best one for me has been Cipralex, but I would still experience major episodes several times a year. I was desperate this past January and ready to give up hope. Not give up as in harm myself but I just couldn't shake the blues for the entire month. I mentioned it to my doctor and she prescribed Lamotrigine (2x25mg) per day. I felt better immediately like the next day. Has anyone else experienced instant relief or is it just a fluke. I wonder if I was bipolar all along but wasn't able to articulate it for a proper diagnosis. I am one month depression free."

dbattcock March 2, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is an interesting medication. It worked very well for controlling moodswings, particularly the rage filled depressive mixed episodes but caused absolutely massive memory and congition problems about 8 months into treatment at 200mg a day. It was odd, the world just kind slipped into the present. I couldn't even do things like cook toast because I would forget what I was doing. I have since cut the dose to 25mg a day. It works far less well for the moodswings but doesn't mess up my mind much now. All in all, mixed results. I still take it. It beats the alternatives which were awful."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal helps my mood swings but sometimes it makes me stutter or feel like crying. Other than that I am satisfied with the treatment for Bipolar 1 disorder."

Anonymous February 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal really worked great at stabilizing my moods and eliminating my manic episodes. I stopped blowing things out of proportion, being paranoid, and having rage attacks. I have been taking this with Wellbutrin everyday. The side effects were brutal to begin with the first few months and I had to go backwards on my dose and increase it slowly. I am always lightheaded and dizzy. The first few months I would lose my balance and have to grab something to prevent falling on a daily basis. Now I'm used to it and can recognize when I need to stop and let my body adjust before I move, but stabilizing my moods has been a life saver."

Anonymous February 24, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "For bipolar 1 Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I did have to watch my moods because with all mental health medicines it can make side effect better or worse and it did enduce me into a state of depression. Other than that I have been on it for 9 months and has been doing good so far."

cautiousgirl_87 February 7, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "It keeps me calm and relaxed most of the time."

shamika January 31, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I love what Lamictal has done for me. It's a mood stabilizer that should be prescribed secondarily alongside with another medicine for bi-polar disorder. Mine is the anti-psychotic Geodon, which I slowly came off of over 6 months wanting to get pregnant, but unfortunately, I ended up in the hospital in a severe manic episode with following depression as usual even though I stayed on the Lamictal. I have taken Lamictal for 7 yrs and its wonderful to not have depressive episodes and mood swings. I take an awesome combination with the Geodon and I Highly recommend it to Bi-Polar 1 sufferers."

sugar812711 January 20, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication has been a life saver. It has changed my life around. I can't believe how happy I am!"

ttmillers January 12, 2012

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Makes me a speed freak, can't sit still constantly moving my hands or my face or something, like a panic attack without anxiety! It seems to have helped with anxiety though, but I still take Xanax for when I just literally cannot stop moving around, grinding my teeth or jerking my neck around. I have severe muscle spasms in the neck. I think it has helped me in some ways but not others, it made my already severe insomnia worse, so now I have sleeping pills (which still don't work sometimes). It has sort of improved my mood some people say I'm less erratic. I am not sure though. I'm giving it a 5 because the neck pain is bad, and the increased paranoia is bad and I don't really think it has helped with disassociation too much. "

Anonymous January 11, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was told that Lamictal might help me "find strength". Well, it did - a strength that was inside me all the time but was drowned out by fear. I have been on this pill for 10 months now and the horrible fear scenarios that have plagued me since an early age have all stopped. I am far more in charge of my life now. I only wish I could have had it before. First effects of pill were immediate, but it took some months to take full root."

JTK December 31, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been taking Lamictal for 4 years (400mg). I had severe mania for 3 years before that. Went through 13 different medicines. They all seemed to make things worse and became very destructive with not only my life but I also became dangerous to others. If it were not for Lamictal I would most surely be dead. I sometimes still go through the depression and have added antidepressants but too many side effects. I have insomnia so I also take Ambien CR and Xanax. It's not a healthy combination but it all works for the most part. I'm sad for those of you that had to stop taking Lamictal for some reason or another. It's a great thing not to be sick anymore."

Anonymous December 30, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I felt a change in my moods from Lamictal almost immediately. I haven't felt that great in years, but I developed a rash in 1-2 weeks of taking it. It started as itchy hands and feet and then I itched everywhere. I did not have a severe or life threatening Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. I did drink alcohol on this medicine and it made me get drunk really fast and I would have very bad hangovers. I had to discontinue after 1 1/2 months because of the rash. Two of my friends take this and never had rashes and they also agree it is the best medicine they have taken for bipolar."

SassyBrunette28 December 28, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been diagnosed with Bipolar. Initially, I really did not believe that I had this disorder. However, I feel so much better after 1 month on this medicine. I feel normal for the first time in 4 years. I am happy and energetic. I also notice a significant improvement in my memory and concentration. Since the medication has made a significant improvement in my quality of life, I am no longer in denial."

Anonymous December 20, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on it for three months, with a very slow ramp up phase. I've been dealing with major depression for 25 years and have been in all kinds of antidepressants, which work for a while, then stop. My doctor started to wonder if I might possibly be bipolar 2. My moods would cycle frequently within days. Deep despair to feeling just fine. Not mania. Just feeling good. Once I was on the therapeutic level, 200mg I felt so even keel. And I've been holding steady for almost two months!"

Anonymous December 20, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been effective for me. I had not realized some of my symptoms until I was unable to afford it and went off it for couple months. I had more depression, began to emotionally over eat, increased difficulty in making decisions and paying attention, and feeling of being overwhelmed. I am fortunate enough to have the means to get back on my medicines. I function without it, but this makes my disabilities more manageable."

Shred December 1, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Broke out in a rash after 2 weeks."

dnb367 November 15, 2011

"I had been on clonazepam 1mg twice a day, my new doctor doesn't like this medication and decided to switch me to 100mg Lamotrigine. I still have anxiety and horrible night sweats. I mean I SOAK the bed every night (not hormones, they checked my level a week ago because I had to have my uterus and cervix removed 3 years ago, but still have my ovaries). This is the only change in medication and the sweats are unbearable for myself and my husband. Going back to demand my old medicines back. I am glad this works for most. I don't see this listed as a side effect for anyone else, so I am confused."

cristy_jeff November 5, 2011