User Reviews for Lactulose

Also known as: Cephulac, Cholac, Chronulac, Chronulac Syrup, Constilac, Constulose, Duphalac, Enulose, Evalose, Generlac, Heptalac, Kristalose

Learn more about Lactulose.

Constipation, Chronic 12 reviews 28 medications

9.8
Hepatic Encephalopathy 3 reviews 16 medications

8.7
Constipation, Acute 4 reviews 33 medications

7.5
Summary of Lactulose reviews 19 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Lactulose

Generlac (lactulose) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Initial symptoms included brain fog, disorientation, and confusion. I took the lactulose for one week... all symptoms disappeared. However, I must advise you to stay close to the bathroom. Also, I should note that my physician said that I may be taking this medication for the rest of my life and I'm only 47 years old."

kmo (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic: "12 weeks pregnant and constipated really bad with no movement for nearly 7 days. I had really bad tummy ache and I couldn't take much with being pregnant. Pharmacist gave me this (liquid) and after about 4 hours it was gone. So pleased. Best thing I've ever used for constipation."

tinksloulou859 December 24, 2014

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "This was the only treatment that worked after my hemorroidectomy - had to go to the ER to get this prescription though after three days of constipation from the paid meds - too bad my surgeon did not prescribe this to me earlier."

CKR (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2014

Enulose (lactulose) for : "Headache, flatulence"

Ishiort March 4, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic: "I've suffered with Irritable Bowel Syndrome all my life, got worse in adulthood. Mixture of constipation and diarrhea. I'm now 6 months pregnant, got no more IBS cramps, but painful gas that doesn't pass. I took this for the first time in my life this morning at 9 AM. Took 30mls as suggested by the pharmacist. Only ONE hour later and I'm having bowel movements and a lot of wind. No pain or cramps for once! Only thing is it's been non stop toilet runs for 10 hours. "

KittyKatt89 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic: "I've taken codeine and morphine for a long time and have been constipated for years, on and off. I've tried senna, Movicol and they'd take at least 5 days to work. And the taste of 2 Movicol sachets with 250ml, was yuck. Also made me bloated. I've started lactulose on 15ml 3 times a day but around 2 hours after taking 15ml I was going to the bathroom! It's very convenient too as I just add the 15ml to a drop of juice/squash. Very happy to have found something so good but it does cause me a lot of wind."

MissMarie2015 January 9, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic: "This is a miracle. Taking Oxycodone makes you so conspipated it's not funny. I take 80ml-100ml which is a dose I wouldn't recommend to someone taking it for the first time. Start small and see how it works for you. I take it right before bed. And by the time I wake up, it's toilet time, every time. Sometimes I will get a slight pain in my stomach during sleeping and it can't wait till my usual wake up time."

Just a guy October 27, 2013

For Constipation, Acute: "Not going for two days due to travelling and interrupted routine can really be a problem but two large glasses of water with one tablespoon each produces positive results within 30 min. every time. Just keep close to a bathroom for 2-3 hrs."

Gord, Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic: "Just start at one tablespoon (15 ml.) and then start increasing the dosage one teaspoon (5 ml. every day until your bowel movement is soft. There are very few complications. It can be taken safely for decades. In fact, you may have to increase the dosage over time."

Anonymous December 10, 2012

Constulose (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "This is the best medicine I've ever used for my constipation. I also have irritable bowel syndrome."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2012

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "Only thing that actually works!"

Anonymous May 31, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic: "I take 6 Percocet daily for back pain. 30ml of lactulose generally takes effect in 4 to 6 hours. At times it can produces diarrhea if I take more. At times I can skip a day as I am able to have bowel motion naturally. It doesn't adversely impact my blood sugar levels."

Anonymous April 14, 2012

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Very effective! Usually starts to work for me within two hours and continues to work for hours. Stay close to a bathroom. It decreased blood ammonia level and cleared up the cloudy head in just a couple of days. Stress staying close to a bathroom!"

stenforce February 13, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic: "I would go up to one month without having bowel movements. I'm very afraid of using medicine because I take medication for epilepsy and I do not want any interactions causing the anticonvulsants to be less or not effective. My doctor gave me lactulose and told me to drink water with it. He said not to be worried about it interfering with my medicine because what the lactulose does is pull water into the stool to make it soft. I still don't take it with my daily medication. I wait at least 3 hours after or 4 hours prior to taking my daily medication. The only thing I do not like is it is very sweet. Check to see if it is okay to take if you are diabetic. I assume it has sugar in it because of the sweetness."

Anonymous August 17, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic: "Lactulose works don't know why. Lactolose is gentle and actually works. I just about gave up until got this medicine. I take a few Vicodins a day and I needed something to help."

shegoesbignow August 10, 2011

For Constipation, Acute: "I am pleased with the results of this medicine, and best part is that is natural ingredients. I don't take a lot of medicines but this is one that I trust, and I feel won't do harm to my body, but help it. I always make sure I drink a lot of water with any medicine I take. "

Anonymous December 20, 2009

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have been on a large dose of Morphine for years for my worsening back problems. I have gone as long as 8-10 days without a bowel motion. Lactulose is the only thing that has worked. Usually within 4-6 hours I will start having BM's. I haven't had any side effects, not even cramping. I use 15 to 30 cc on an as needed basis. I did read that you should not use Lactulose if you are diabetic because it is a sugar."

Anonymous December 14, 2009

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "I was given this bottle of Lactulose by the local hospital where I am currently undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. My constipation causes me more pain than I can describe, the cramps and vomiting have caused me quite a few sleepless nights. I felt the pain coming on at about 3 in the afternoon and was expecting to be in agony by 7pm. I took the Lactulose at about 3.30pm and by 7pm I was alright and the cramps disappeared and no vomiting. I cannot state how much relief I felt knowing that I would get a good nights sleep without pain and constipation. I've just rang my family to let them know that I've finally found something that gives me relief without grief. Best yet."

Damnsuicidalroos June 14, 2009

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Enulose (lactulose) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Enulose has been very efficient in making regular bowel movements. "

Anonymous September 29, 2008

For : "Worked well."

plugged up August 15, 2008

Duphalac (lactulose) for Constipation, Acute: "Lactulose is a very good laxative. If taken in a dosage of 1 or 2 tablespoons with breakfast, the results are usually within 4 hours. Lactulose is the only healthy laxative. It increases the good bacteria in the intestine. I can be taken daily for years as a treatment for chronic constipation. There is no abuse potential. It can be taken by children, adults and seniors. "

bpmonster April 30, 2007

206 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate