User Reviews for Lactulose

Also known as: Cephulac, Cholac, Chronulac, Chronulac Syrup, Constilac, Constulose, Duphalac, Enulose, Evalose, Generlac, Heptalac, Kristalose

Learn more about Lactulose.

Constipation, Chronic 11 reviews 29 medications

9.8
Hepatic Encephalopathy 2 reviews 16 medications

Constipation, Acute 4 reviews 32 medications

7.5
Summary of Lactulose reviews 17 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Lactulose

Review by CKR (taken for less than 1 month):

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: This was the only treatment that worked after my hemorroidectomy - had to go to the ER to get this prescription though after three days of constipation from the paid meds - too bad my surgeon did not prescribe this to me earlier.

March 18, 2014 11:47 AM

Review by Ishiort:

Enulose (lactulose) for : Headache, flatulence

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by KittyKatt89 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Chronic: I've suffered with Irritable Bowel Syndrome all my life, got worse in adulthood. Mixture of constipation and diarrhea. I'm now 6 months pregnant, got no more IBS cramps, but painful gas that doesn't pass. I took this for the first time in my life this morning at 9 AM. Took 30mls as suggested by the pharmacist. Only ONE hour later and I'm having bowel movements and a lot of wind. No pain or cramps for once! Only thing is it's been non stop toilet runs for 10 hours.

January 25, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by MissMarie2015:

For Constipation, Chronic: I've taken codeine and morphine for a long time and have been constipated for years, on and off. I've tried senna, Movicol and they'd take at least 5 days to work. And the taste of 2 Movicol sachets with 250ml, was yuck. Also made me bloated. I've started lactulose on 15ml 3 times a day but around 2 hours after taking 15ml I was going to the bathroom! It's very convenient too as I just add the 15ml to a drop of juice/squash. Very happy to have found something so good but it does cause me a lot of wind.

January 9, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by Just a guy:

For Constipation, Chronic: This is a miracle. Taking Oxycodone makes you so conspipated it's not funny. I take 80ml-100ml which is a dose I wouldn't recommend to someone taking it for the first time. Start small and see how it works for you. I take it right before bed. And by the time I wake up, it's toilet time, every time. Sometimes I will get a slight pain in my stomach during sleeping and it can't wait till my usual wake up time.

October 27, 2013 4:05 PM

Review by Gord, Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Acute: Not going for two days due to travelling and interrupted routine can really be a problem but two large glasses of water with one tablespoon each produces positive results within 30 min. every time. Just keep close to a bathroom for 2-3 hrs.

July 4, 2013 3:58 PM

For Constipation, Chronic: Just start at one tablespoon (15 ml.) and then start increasing the dosage one teaspoon (5 ml. every day until your bowel movement is soft. There are very few complications. It can be taken safely for decades. In fact, you may have to increase the dosage over time.

December 10, 2012 1:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Constulose (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: This is the best medicine I've ever used for my constipation. I also have irritable bowel syndrome.

October 23, 2012 9:30 PM

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: Only thing that actually works!

May 31, 2012 10:14 AM

For Constipation, Chronic: I take 6 Percocet daily for back pain. 30ml of lactulose generally takes effect in 4 to 6 hours. At times it can produces diarrhea if I take more. At times I can skip a day as I am able to have bowel motion naturally. It doesn't adversely impact my blood sugar levels.

April 14, 2012 6:16 PM

Review by stenforce:

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: Very effective! Usually starts to work for me within two hours and continues to work for hours. Stay close to a bathroom. It decreased blood ammonia level and cleared up the cloudy head in just a couple of days. Stress staying close to a bathroom!

February 13, 2012 1:18 PM

For Constipation, Chronic: I would go up to one month without having bowel movements. I'm very afraid of using medicine because I take medication for epilepsy and I do not want any interactions causing the anticonvulsants to be less or not effective. My doctor gave me lactulose and told me to drink water with it. He said not to be worried about it interfering with my medicine because what the lactulose does is pull water into the stool to make it soft. I still don't take it with my daily medication. I wait at least 3 hours after or 4 hours prior to taking my daily medication. The only thing I do not like is it is very sweet. Check to see if it is okay to take if you are diabetic. I assume it has sugar in it because of the sweetness.

August 17, 2011 9:07 PM

Review by shegoesbignow:

For Constipation, Chronic: Lactulose works don't know why. Lactolose is gentle and actually works. I just about gave up until got this medicine. I take a few Vicodins a day and I needed something to help.

August 10, 2011 12:19 PM

For Constipation, Acute: I am pleased with the results of this medicine, and best part is that is natural ingredients. I don't take a lot of medicines but this is one that I trust, and I feel won't do harm to my body, but help it. I always make sure I drink a lot of water with any medicine I take.

December 20, 2009 8:20 PM

For Constipation, Chronic: I have been on a large dose of Morphine for years for my worsening back problems. I have gone as long as 8-10 days without a bowel motion. Lactulose is the only thing that has worked. Usually within 4-6 hours I will start having BM's. I haven't had any side effects, not even cramping. I use 15 to 30 cc on an as needed basis. I did read that you should not use Lactulose if you are diabetic because it is a sugar.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2009 10:47 PM

Review by Damnsuicidalroos:

For Constipation, Acute: I was given this bottle of Lactulose by the local hospital where I am currently undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. My constipation causes me more pain than I can describe, the cramps and vomiting have caused me quite a few sleepless nights. I felt the pain coming on at about 3 in the afternoon and was expecting to be in agony by 7pm. I took the Lactulose at about 3.30pm and by 7pm I was alright and the cramps disappeared and no vomiting. I cannot state how much relief I felt knowing that I would get a good nights sleep without pain and constipation. I've just rang my family to let them know that I've finally found something that gives me relief without grief. Best yet.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2009 9:38 AM

Enulose (lactulose) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: Enulose has been very efficient in making regular bowel movements.

September 29, 2008 1:25 PM

Review by plugged up:

For : Worked well.

August 15, 2008 5:18 PM

Review by bpmonster:

Duphalac (lactulose) for Constipation, Acute: Lactulose is a very good laxative. If taken in a dosage of 1 or 2 tablespoons with breakfast, the results are usually within 4 hours. Lactulose is the only healthy laxative. It increases the good bacteria in the intestine. I can be taken daily for years as a treatment for chronic constipation. There is no abuse potential. It can be taken by children, adults and seniors.

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2007 10:13 PM