User Reviews for Deplin

5.5
Hyperhomocysteinemia 0 reviews 59 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Deplin reviews 44 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Deplin

For Depression "I have been taking Paxil/Paroxetine for approx.15 years. About 2 years ago, I mentioned to my psychiatrist that I had long been very sensitive to noise. I would get really upset (angry) by the sound of the doorbell, or even my young daughter's playfulness. My Dr. recommended Deplin as an additional "medicine". After a couple of weeks of taking Deplin,,my sensitivity improved greatly. I did not feel any different, nor have any side-effects. I stopped for a couple of weeks, thinking that it didn't really do anything, and I DID notice a big difference. Although it is expensive, I will continue to take my 15mg every day (along with my Paxil) It works!, My husband agrees! "

StaceyaS August 8, 2015

For Depression "I started taking Deplin 2 months ago in addition to the 300 mg. of Wellbutrin I had already been taking for several years. I was experiencing a very low level of chronic depression but generally okay. The doctor recommended I try Deplin to see whether it would increase my level of well-being. I could swear I feel a lot MORE depressed with the Deplin. Nothing has changed in terms of life style over the past few months, so I can't think of any other explanation. Needless to say, I'm going to stop taking it. I had no idea it might worsen my symptoms."

Haystackneedle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015

For Depression "My sister was tested and has the MTHFR mutation. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and bowel problems since childhood. I have only been on Deplin for five days but I have never been so energized and just generally happy in my life. Finally I have hope for the future. Before I was unsure how long I could last because I knew all of my symptoms were slowly worsening. Now I feel like a little kid again. All I want to do is dance around and do handstands. Everything and everyone makes me laugh and life has never been so good. My ADHD, depression(obviously) and IBS have dissipated, I have increased sex drive and metabolism and even my liver is detoxing again. THANK YOU DEPLIN"

I feel like a puppy May 10, 2015

For Depression "Because this is a food/medicine, there is no way it can cause side effects. I have only been on it for a little over a week, but I am thrilled!! I do not feel depressed, and I am feeling energized and better than I have in years! I have taken every kind of antidepressant there is, I think. I weaned off the last one, and right now I am not on anything but Deplin. I am amazed."

glbrosnan (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

For Depression "I've been using antidepressants for quite a few years now. I seem to have gone through the entire list of antidepressants. My latest script is Escitalopram Tabs, 10mg. We recently added Abilify and this Deplin Caps, 15mg. I've been feeling a bit better. One of these two give me an awful case of Heartburn! Painful it is. I'll mention it during my next appointment. Now, as before, I can't watch anything with intense emotions as I'll breakdown and start crying. At age 52 I find it a bit annoying. Before I added these last two medicines I found myself crying more frequent than not. The movie "UP" really freaked me out. Anyway I'm disabled with intractable pain. That's what started all the depression stuff."

stgecko (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2015

For Depression "I have been taking Citalopram and Clonazepam (for panic attack only) for MONTHS. My anxiety level, even on these medicines, was completely out of control. To the point where my muscles were twitching non stop all day long (as well as other physical symptoms). I added the Deplin to my 20mg Citalopram at the request of my doctor. Within a few days I felt like a completely new person! Better than I have felt in years. My muscle twitching completely went away and I no longer have obsessive thoughts. I highly recommend this medicine for anyone suffering with severe anxiety or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It is life changer. Well worth the $60 a month."

Anxious like crazy (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2015

For Depression "For the past several years I have been trying to find the right balance to deal with the anxiety and depression of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have been on Citalopram for the depression and that seems to work well. It has been hard to find an antipsychotic that works and currently I'm on Latuda. I'm also on a mood stabilizer Lamictal. My Dr added Deplin. Long story I wound up without my Latuda and Deplin for about 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I was off the charts on the ups and my old patterns were popping up. Not good. I went back on the Latuda and began evening out but still had too much up. Now I've been back on the Deplin for a week and I feel completely numb. Trouble sleeping at the right times, trouble being awake or at least alert at the right times."

ktexas October 27, 2014

For Depression "I was so very excited when I found out that I could be helped after being diagnosed with MTHFR, I was on Deplin 15mg a day, I actually felt fantastic after about 2 months of treatment, after about 8 months I slowly started getting severe muscle pain and weakness also extreme joint pain as to where I could barely work or do the slightest of activities. Doctors ran a ton of blood tests but found nothing, I recently stopped taking Deplin and have found that the issues have disappeared! I loved Deplin and am very sad I can't take it any longer! It really also helps with depression and mood!"

Ellablue1 August 25, 2014

For Depression "This is a great add-on medication for depression. I am compound heterozygous for the C677T and A1298C MTHFR mutations. I was taking Celexa and Wellbutrin and still having frequent depressive episodes when I first started taking the Deplin. After about a month on Deplin, I weaned off the Wellbutrin. We later lowered my dosage of Celexa too. I did try to wean off Celexa completely and use Deplin as mono-therapy, but ran into issues. I've been taking Celexa 20mg and Deplin 15mg for over a year now and it's still working great!"

Spectatrix (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2014

For Depression "Added Deplin 15mg to 150 mg dose of Wellbutrin when the Wellbutrin no longer worked as well. It did help for a few days but then I developed severe muscle weakness, stiffness and pain particularly in my neck and shoulders. Bad enough that I could not turn my head or look up or down without great discomfort. Kind of felt like I had whiplash. I did some research and found that the muscle pain can be a side effect of both medications. I have not ever had this problem on Wellbutrin alone, so I'm inclined to think the Deplin caused this. I quit taking both medications because I couldn't function with the pain and stiffness any longer and 2 days later the pain is still there but is slowly subsiding."

Jennifried (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

"I finished the 6 day trial, and I must say I felt so good on the last 2-3 days on Deplin. I didn't experience the crazy lows I had in the last few months. I don't truly have depression, more like bipolar 2, and on no medications. I love my emotions, and want to work with them, so my naturopath suggested we try Deplin. I will be seeing her again next week, and I will ask her to continue it."

Aging Backwards (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2014

For Depression "I thought I would share my experience as it may be helpful to others. I have been on this for over 2 years now... and depression wise (which is what I'm basing my rating off of because that is what this rating is supposed to pertain to) it hasn't done anything for me at all. At least nothing at all that I have ever noticed. I have stayed on the medication because of the fact IT DOES help bring down my homosistine levels. I have a condition referred to as MTHFR. Basically it's a liver enzyme condition that makes it so the body doesn't convert proteins/peptides very well. Common condition (1/10 americans) but rarely tested for. The lab had to look up what to do for drawing blood and testing for it."

just a guy March 26, 2014

For Folic Acid Deficiency "Has changed my life, both physical autoimmune, genetic, hormonal disorders have improved and mental health PTSD, ADHD, RBD-Dyslexia have improved. I wish I had known about my mutation in child bearing years as I lost five pregnancies. My only daughter was the one I had morning sickness with and didn't take prenatal multivitamins."

jjojjo (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2014

For Depression "In 28 years, after dozens of antidepressants, add on's, ECT's...I've never felt so full of life. Ever. An absolute miracle this was. I was absolutely lifeless. I feel sorrow for having gone so long miserable, but blessed to have been lucky enough to have a doctor try this with me."

ladyKR December 14, 2013

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking Deplin for 18 days and I do notice a slight change in my depression/brain fog and energy levels. I think it is being inhibited by my Adderall withdrawal but am hoping it is helpful since I've tried many medications and nothing has really helped."

whizbang1111 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2013

For Depression "I want to I really say people should wait at least 3 months before they rate Deplin or any psychiatric medicine, unless you have some major horrible reaction. Deplin gave me a kick start the first week I took it for some reason but then the effects disappeared. I talked to the P-doc and he said it takes something like 6 weeks to build up in your system. Well after about 6 weeks or so I started to notice the effects. It gave my Wellbutrin a huge boost and my energy level rose through the roof. People rating a medicine after 2 days is just ridiculous and annoying. Even the SSRI's take a couple weeks to work. Stop it people."

johnny734 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2013

275 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I'm so happy for you all. It is just pure hell dealing with depression, no sleep, continual thoughts, obsessive compulsive disorder, and not happy at all. Maybe if we all get figured out that this is what we need. Imagine how cheap our health insurance could go to. This is wonderful, I take folic acid and it does make a big difference."

Anonymous April 10, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Deplin worked for me but is not for everybody. I have the genetic mutation which others on this website have talked about, which keeps the body from processing folic acid into L-methylfolate which is needed by the brain for the other neurotransmitters to work properly. A blood test ($280) proved this. Before Deplin I was was on Bipolar meds (including Seroquel which was miserable) and antidepressants. Now I am only on Deplin and Clonazepam for chronic anxiety and am feeling re-energized."

Mark2112 Deplin works for me. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2013

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have had treatment-resistant depression for 20 years and have tried Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Lexapro and Viibryd. Lexapro (20 mg) and Wellbutrin (300mg XL) seem to work best but even with talk therapy, good diet and exercise I still have never achieved full remission. After my psych doctor retired, I switched to another who had me tested for MTHFR mutations and started me on 15mg of Deplin. Within 7 days I felt better than I could ever remember - it was like a light switch! Test results showed I am homozygous for the C677T MTHFR mutation. I stopped taking Deplin after some agitation & anxiety started; I restarted on a lower dose before ramping up to 15 again. I have yet to see the same improvement after 3 weeks."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2012

For Folic Acid Deficiency "I was tested for MTHFR genetic mutations after several years of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue type symptoms. BINGO! I have compound heterozygous mutations. Which can cause whole host of health issues, many I have been experiencing since youth. Once I started 7.5mg of Deplin with Methyl b12 my aches, brain fog, and unrelenting fatigue started to diminish..this is a life changer!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 12, 2012

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I lost my only child four years ago and have battled grief and depression. I was put on Deplin and it made a huge difference in my frame of mind. I went off of it a month ago because I started a new job and basically just forgot to get it filled. Big mistake. I have been extremely sad and depressed. I will be getting that prescription filled tomorrow. It was a lifesaver."

Suzeeh April 13, 2012

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have had depression for 8 years and nothing has ever pleased me.. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago and my depression like doubled! I felt so lost and I really thought I was losing my mind!! I just wanted to end my life! I told my OBGYN and he gave me this medicine and I really haven't felt this good in years! It makes me feel relaxed and do nothing but laugh! My mom said she hasn't seen me this way in years! I was pushing my sons dad away because of how I been feeling but I just been so happy around him now! I can handle the baby's crying better and most of all myself! I just feel alive again. Thank you Deplin!"

WhoCares(: February 22, 2012

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I was diagnosed with depression 11 years ago. I can't remember all of the anti-depressants I've been on, but for the last 5 years I've been on Welbutrin 450mg. My psychiatrist prescribed Mirtazapine, for it's energizing effects when on high doses. It didn't work for me; then he prescribed Deplin 15mg. I took it for 6 weeks. I could not tell a huge difference, so I didn't refill my prescription right away. (It's expensive since insurance won't cover it!) After I stopped my energy/motivation decreased, so I started taking it again. I've been on it for about a week now and have seen an increase in my energy again, but the motivation is still not as high as I it should be. Hopefully it will get better the longer I'm on it."

Anonymous February 20, 2012

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "This medicine has been amazing. I have been on it for about 6 weeks. I am also taking Nardil which has been effective sporadically. Finally I'm happy ALL THE TIME! I've also had to greatly reduce my Levoxyl because my thyroid is speeding up. My depression is finally gone after years of treatment resistant atypical depression. "

Anonymous February 9, 2012

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "In about 1 week I noticed drastic change. I was feeling much happy, less mood swings, and even my anxiety had lessened. I like this medication because it's natural and has almost no side effects. I highly recommend it."

Anonymous January 22, 2012

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate