User Reviews for Deplin

Learn more about Deplin.

Deplin review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Deplin to treat Depression

Review by just a guy: User Rating:

I thought I would share my experience as it may be helpful to others. I have been on this for over 2 years now... and depression wise (which is what I'm basing my rating off of because that is what this rating is supposed to pertain to) it hasn't done anything for me at all. At least nothing at all that I have ever noticed. I have stayed on the medication because of the fact IT DOES help bring down my homosistine levels. I have a condition referred to as MTHFR. Basically it's a liver enzyme condition that makes it so the body doesn't convert proteins/peptides very well. Common condition (1/10 americans) but rarely tested for. The lab had to look up what to do for drawing blood and testing for it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 4:38 AM
Review by ladyKR: User Rating:

In 28 years, after dozens of antidepressants, add on's, ECT's...I've never felt so full of life. Ever. An absolute miracle this was. I was absolutely lifeless. I feel sorrow for having gone so long miserable, but blessed to have been lucky enough to have a doctor try this with me.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 14, 2013 10:22 AM
Review by whizbang1111 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been taking Deplin for 18 days and I do notice a slight change in my depression/brain fog and energy levels. I think it is being inhibited by my Adderall withdrawal but am hoping it is helpful since I've tried many medications and nothing has really helped.

July 8, 2013 4:24 PM
Review by johnny734 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I want to I really say people should wait at least 3 months before they rate Deplin or any psychiatric medicine, unless you have some major horrible reaction. Deplin gave me a kick start the first week I took it for some reason but then the effects disappeared. I talked to the P-doc and he said it takes something like 6 weeks to build up in your system. Well after about 6 weeks or so I started to notice the effects. It gave my Wellbutrin a huge boost and my energy level rose through the roof. People rating a medicine after 2 days is just ridiculous and annoying. Even the SSRI's take a couple weeks to work. Stop it people.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 20, 2013 2:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm so happy for you all. It is just pure hell dealing with depression, no sleep, continual thoughts, obsessive compulsive disorder, and not happy at all. Maybe if we all get figured out that this is what we need. Imagine how cheap our health insurance could go to. This is wonderful, I take folic acid and it does make a big difference.

April 10, 2013 2:09 PM
Review by Mark2112 Deplin works for me. (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Deplin worked for me but is not for everybody. I have the genetic mutation which others on this website have talked about, which keeps the body from processing folic acid into L-methylfolate which is needed by the brain for the other neurotransmitters to work properly. A blood test ($280) proved this. Before Deplin I was was on Bipolar meds (including Seroquel which was miserable) and antidepressants. Now I am only on Deplin and Clonazepam for chronic anxiety and am feeling re-energized.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 5, 2013 10:07 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have had treatment-resistant depression for 20 years and have tried Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Lexapro and Viibryd. Lexapro (20 mg) and Wellbutrin (300mg XL) seem to work best but even with talk therapy, good diet and exercise I still have never achieved full remission. After my psych doctor retired, I switched to another who had me tested for MTHFR mutations and started me on 15mg of Deplin. Within 7 days I felt better than I could ever remember - it was like a light switch! Test results showed I am homozygous for the C677T MTHFR mutation. I stopped taking Deplin after some agitation & anxiety started; I restarted on a lower dose before ramping up to 15 again. I have yet to see the same improvement after 3 weeks.

December 17, 2012 12:37 AM
Review by Suzeeh: User Rating:

I lost my only child four years ago and have battled grief and depression. I was put on Deplin and it made a huge difference in my frame of mind. I went off of it a month ago because I started a new job and basically just forgot to get it filled. Big mistake. I have been extremely sad and depressed. I will be getting that prescription filled tomorrow. It was a lifesaver.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 13, 2012 12:35 AM
Review by WhoCares(:: User Rating:

I have had depression for 8 years and nothing has ever pleased me.. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago and my depression like doubled! I felt so lost and I really thought I was losing my mind!! I just wanted to end my life! I told my OBGYN and he gave me this medicine and I really haven't felt this good in years! It makes me feel relaxed and do nothing but laugh! My mom said she hasn't seen me this way in years! I was pushing my sons dad away because of how I been feeling but I just been so happy around him now! I can handle the baby's crying better and most of all myself! I just feel alive again. Thank you Deplin!

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 22, 2012 2:09 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with depression 11 years ago. I can't remember all of the anti-depressants I've been on, but for the last 5 years I've been on Welbutrin 450mg. My psychiatrist prescribed Mirtazapine, for it's energizing effects when on high doses. It didn't work for me; then he prescribed Deplin 15mg. I took it for 6 weeks. I could not tell a huge difference, so I didn't refill my prescription right away. (It's expensive since insurance won't cover it!) After I stopped my energy/motivation decreased, so I started taking it again. I've been on it for about a week now and have seen an increase in my energy again, but the motivation is still not as high as I it should be. Hopefully it will get better the longer I'm on it.

February 20, 2012 2:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This medicine has been amazing. I have been on it for about 6 weeks. I am also taking Nardil which has been effective sporadically. Finally I'm happy ALL THE TIME! I've also had to greatly reduce my Levoxyl because my thyroid is speeding up. My depression is finally gone after years of treatment resistant atypical depression.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 9, 2012 11:07 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

In about 1 week I noticed drastic change. I was feeling much happy, less mood swings, and even my anxiety had lessened. I like this medication because it's natural and has almost no side effects. I highly recommend it.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 22, 2012 1:54 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on so many different medications for the past few years. A couple of weeks ago my psychiatrist decided to try Deplin. I can't even begin to explain the change. I haven't felt this normal in five years. I'd forgotten what it was like to not be depressed. This is a miracle medicine.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 17, 2011 1:46 AM
Review by CLMCT: User Rating:

I found the pamphlet for Deplin while sitting in the waiting room. I was very intrigued because all of the adjunct medicines for anti-depressants usually have many side effects. My doctor was skeptical, stating that it was just a vitamin but wrote me a 'script. Effexor is the only one that works for me. I tried Cymbalta for pain issues and spent most of the time in tears. Before my diagnosis, I was constantly suicidal. As of late, my dark moods were back too often. But after 3 days of Deplin, I woke up feeling motivated and hopeful. I am amazed but so grateful.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 20, 2011 3:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Deplin for over a year now. At first I was on 7.5 mg and that was helpful but when that stopped working the Psych doctor increased the dosage up to 15 mg and it really works. What it does is helps your other antidepressants work better. Deplin will affect each person differently depending on which antidepressant you are taking.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 17, 2011 8:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have very bad treatment resistant depression/anxiety. I was on Prozac for a year and it worked wonders until I had to keep going up in dose and the side effects were just to bad. Since I have been put on Lexapro, Welbutrin, Vyvanse, and Lamictal none worked like the Prozac. Recently my doctor put back on Prozac, 20mg and added 15mg Deplin. Prozac usually take a month or longer to feel the effects, especially on a low dose. After two weeks I felt good already with no side effects! In fact my sex drive has actually increased. 20mg was never enough for me before and with Deplin it's perfect. I'm so happy.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 18, 2011 9:03 AM
Review by So this is what I used to feel like!: User Rating:

Just turned 50 and I've fought with Bipolar Disorder and Depression my entire life. I've been taking 300mg of Lamictal to control mood swings and 1.5mg of Klonopin to treat chronic anxiety. Depression was still so overwhelming that I asked for an anti-depressant. The MD prescribed 200mg of Wellbutrin SR which had a positive effect, yet did not get rid of the underlying thoughts of death and dying; many of you will understand that I'm talking about a coping mechanism not actually wanting harm myself. A pharmacist told me to ask my MD about Deplin and that was the best medical advice I've ever received! I've been taking 15mg daily for over two months and have not felt this "normal" for many years! Thanks for reading my opinion.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 10, 2011 7:04 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I just took my second dose of Deplin. I love the fact that there are no side effects. I went all through the day without getting so angry at someone I would get an anxiety attack. It's a start and I'm hoping I can return to my normal self. Wish me luck.

April 30, 2011 1:39 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on Deplin for about a year and it has helped me drastically. I was originally diagnosed with bipolar and later, through blood tests, found out my bipolar was related to a condition known as MTHFR. I am compound heterogenized meaning I have one of each genetic markers which contributes so a multitude of diseases including mental disorders and circulatory conditions because I do not metabolize Folate/folic acid. I was on Lithium for 2 years (with horrible side effects on minimal doses) and since being on 30mg of Deplin plus 5000mcg Methyl B12 I've been taken off the Lithium completely and have normal mood changes.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 28, 2011 3:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Deplin for six days and I am amazed with the change in my emotions and feelings. I take 7.5mg of Deplin and 60 mg of Prozac and I am pleased with my increased defenses to deal with my daily life. I feel like myself again for the first time in 10 yrs. I hope Deplin will continue to provide me with the positive attitude that I am now feeling. I feel like a whole new person.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2011 8:29 PM
Review by Neties: User Rating:

I have suffered with Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for over twenty-years. I have been on many types of anti-depressants with moderate success. I started taking Deplin 7.5mg once a day and I can't believe the results. I feel "normal." My idea of normal is to go through a day without having feelings of hopelessness and wanting to stay out of social situations. I feel great. I started feeling the effects of Deplin on the second day. I am a mental health counselor (graduate student). I have learned how to survive and muddle through all that I want to accomplish in life. Deplin has given me new hope for the future.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 24, 2010 3:06 AM
Review by sprytle: User Rating:

I started taking Deplin yesterday and recently tapered myself off of Cymbalta and Wellbutrin. I still have the Cymbalta withdrawal "brain zaps" but have regained my crying reflex that I lose everytime I get back on medication. I have been pregnant several times and needed to come off all medications for the duration. Today I had more natural energy than I've had in a long time. I had been taking Hydroxycut just to get myself moving and to the gym as I had reached my maximum weight of 188 last week. Now I don't feel like I need it anymore. My OCD is almost non-existent now. I can complete multiple tasks without spending an eternity detailing every aspect of a small task. This is how I feel after day 2, hopeful this will continue.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 15, 2010 2:13 AM
Review by christos1110: User Rating:

I hope this helps to all the depressed people out there. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for drug induced depression. I abused meth, Vicodin, coke, and any other drug you can think of for years and that has left me a basket case. I have tried many antidepressants but I suffer too many adverse reactions for the stronger stuff. I am currently on 300mg Wellbutrin and 15 mg Deplin and I have to say I feel GREAT! However I had taken Wellbutrin/Deplin combo in the past and it stopped working for me after 6 months. The results with the antidepressants were a little funny because I went back to abusing Vicodin. Now I am clean of any drugs and just taking what is prescribed by my doctor. 300mg Wellbutrin and 15 mg Deplin.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2010 10:42 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I am hearted by the 6 reviews. I have just started on Deplin. I have been on Remeron for two years. I cannot tolerate serotonin type medicines such as Prozac, Lexapro. Remeron worked beautifully at first but effects have slowly worn off and my anxiety and mild depression returned. I pray Deplin will work for me and I can regain my enthusiasm and joy in life. I am happy for those of you who have been helped. Wish me luck.

October 10, 2009 11:41 AM
Review by stingaling: User Rating:

I have had partial response to my antidepressant. I have had a hard time finding one as my chemistry responds unfavorably to many drugs. Deplin was advised by my Doctor who has actually participated in clinical trials. She had seen no adverse effects and thought it would work great for me. On 3rd day I felt like my old self for first time in 1 year. Unfortunately, that night I had auditory hallucinations... first time in my life... and a very restless night. Went off and slept okay. Tried just doing folic acid and Vitamin B6 and had the same response, only worse. Didn't sleep the whole night. Both my Psychiatrist and Psychologist say I am the only person who they have ever seen have a negative reaction. Like I said, I felt great. Good luck.

September 29, 2009 8:18 AM