User Reviews for Deplin

Learn more about Deplin.

Deplin Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Deplin to treat Depression

"My sister was tested and has the MTHFR mutation. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and bowel problems since childhood. I have only been on Deplin for five days but I have never been so energized and just generally happy in my life. Finally I have hope for the future. Before I was unsure how long I could last because I knew all of my symptoms were slowly worsening. Now I feel like a little kid again. All I want to do is dance around and do handstands. Everything and everyone makes me laugh and life has never been so good. My ADHD, depression(obviously) and IBS have dissipated, I have increased sex drive and metabolism and even my liver is detoxing again. THANK YOU DEPLIN"

I feel like a puppy May 10, 2015

"Because this is a food/medicine, there is no way it can cause side effects. I have only been on it for a little over a week, but I am thrilled!! I do not feel depressed, and I am feeling energized and better than I have in years! I have taken every kind of antidepressant there is, I think. I weaned off the last one, and right now I am not on anything but Deplin. I am amazed."

glbrosnan (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

"I've been using antidepressants for quite a few years now. I seem to have gone through the entire list of antidepressants. My latest script is Escitalopram Tabs, 10mg. We recently added Abilify and this Deplin Caps, 15mg. I've been feeling a bit better. One of these two give me an awful case of Heartburn! Painful it is. I'll mention it during my next appointment. Now, as before, I can't watch anything with intense emotions as I'll breakdown and start crying. At age 52 I find it a bit annoying. Before I added these last two medicines I found myself crying more frequent than not. The movie "UP" really freaked me out. Anyway I'm disabled with intractable pain. That's what started all the depression stuff."

stgecko (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2015

"I have been taking Citalopram and Clonazepam (for panic attack only) for MONTHS. My anxiety level, even on these medicines, was completely out of control. To the point where my muscles were twitching non stop all day long (as well as other physical symptoms). I added the Deplin to my 20mg Citalopram at the request of my doctor. Within a few days I felt like a completely new person! Better than I have felt in years. My muscle twitching completely went away and I no longer have obsessive thoughts. I highly recommend this medicine for anyone suffering with severe anxiety or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It is life changer. Well worth the $60 a month."

Anxious like crazy (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2015

"For the past several years I have been trying to find the right balance to deal with the anxiety and depression of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have been on Citalopram for the depression and that seems to work well. It has been hard to find an antipsychotic that works and currently I'm on Latuda. I'm also on a mood stabilizer Lamictal. My Dr added Deplin. Long story I wound up without my Latuda and Deplin for about 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I was off the charts on the ups and my old patterns were popping up. Not good. I went back on the Latuda and began evening out but still had too much up. Now I've been back on the Deplin for a week and I feel completely numb. Trouble sleeping at the right times, trouble being awake or at least alert at the right times."

ktexas October 27, 2014

"I was so very excited when I found out that I could be helped after being diagnosed with MTHFR, I was on Deplin 15mg a day, I actually felt fantastic after about 2 months of treatment, after about 8 months I slowly started getting severe muscle pain and weakness also extreme joint pain as to where I could barely work or do the slightest of activities. Doctors ran a ton of blood tests but found nothing, I recently stopped taking Deplin and have found that the issues have disappeared! I loved Deplin and am very sad I can't take it any longer! It really also helps with depression and mood!"

Ellablue1 August 25, 2014

"This is a great add-on medication for depression. I am compound heterozygous for the C677T and A1298C MTHFR mutations. I was taking Celexa and Wellbutrin and still having frequent depressive episodes when I first started taking the Deplin. After about a month on Deplin, I weaned off the Wellbutrin. We later lowered my dosage of Celexa too. I did try to wean off Celexa completely and use Deplin as mono-therapy, but ran into issues. I've been taking Celexa 20mg and Deplin 15mg for over a year now and it's still working great!"

Spectatrix (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2014

"Added Deplin 15mg to 150 mg dose of Wellbutrin when the Wellbutrin no longer worked as well. It did help for a few days but then I developed severe muscle weakness, stiffness and pain particularly in my neck and shoulders. Bad enough that I could not turn my head or look up or down without great discomfort. Kind of felt like I had whiplash. I did some research and found that the muscle pain can be a side effect of both medications. I have not ever had this problem on Wellbutrin alone, so I'm inclined to think the Deplin caused this. I quit taking both medications because I couldn't function with the pain and stiffness any longer and 2 days later the pain is still there but is slowly subsiding."

Jennifried (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

"I thought I would share my experience as it may be helpful to others. I have been on this for over 2 years now... and depression wise (which is what I'm basing my rating off of because that is what this rating is supposed to pertain to) it hasn't done anything for me at all. At least nothing at all that I have ever noticed. I have stayed on the medication because of the fact IT DOES help bring down my homosistine levels. I have a condition referred to as MTHFR. Basically it's a liver enzyme condition that makes it so the body doesn't convert proteins/peptides very well. Common condition (1/10 americans) but rarely tested for. The lab had to look up what to do for drawing blood and testing for it."

just a guy March 26, 2014

"In 28 years, after dozens of antidepressants, add on's, ECT's...I've never felt so full of life. Ever. An absolute miracle this was. I was absolutely lifeless. I feel sorrow for having gone so long miserable, but blessed to have been lucky enough to have a doctor try this with me."

ladyKR December 14, 2013

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Deplin for 18 days and I do notice a slight change in my depression/brain fog and energy levels. I think it is being inhibited by my Adderall withdrawal but am hoping it is helpful since I've tried many medications and nothing has really helped."

whizbang1111 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2013

"I want to I really say people should wait at least 3 months before they rate Deplin or any psychiatric medicine, unless you have some major horrible reaction. Deplin gave me a kick start the first week I took it for some reason but then the effects disappeared. I talked to the P-doc and he said it takes something like 6 weeks to build up in your system. Well after about 6 weeks or so I started to notice the effects. It gave my Wellbutrin a huge boost and my energy level rose through the roof. People rating a medicine after 2 days is just ridiculous and annoying. Even the SSRI's take a couple weeks to work. Stop it people."

johnny734 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2013

267 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm so happy for you all. It is just pure hell dealing with depression, no sleep, continual thoughts, obsessive compulsive disorder, and not happy at all. Maybe if we all get figured out that this is what we need. Imagine how cheap our health insurance could go to. This is wonderful, I take folic acid and it does make a big difference."

Anonymous April 10, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Deplin worked for me but is not for everybody. I have the genetic mutation which others on this website have talked about, which keeps the body from processing folic acid into L-methylfolate which is needed by the brain for the other neurotransmitters to work properly. A blood test ($280) proved this. Before Deplin I was was on Bipolar meds (including Seroquel which was miserable) and antidepressants. Now I am only on Deplin and Clonazepam for chronic anxiety and am feeling re-energized."

Mark2112 Deplin works for me. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2013

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had treatment-resistant depression for 20 years and have tried Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Lexapro and Viibryd. Lexapro (20 mg) and Wellbutrin (300mg XL) seem to work best but even with talk therapy, good diet and exercise I still have never achieved full remission. After my psych doctor retired, I switched to another who had me tested for MTHFR mutations and started me on 15mg of Deplin. Within 7 days I felt better than I could ever remember - it was like a light switch! Test results showed I am homozygous for the C677T MTHFR mutation. I stopped taking Deplin after some agitation & anxiety started; I restarted on a lower dose before ramping up to 15 again. I have yet to see the same improvement after 3 weeks."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I lost my only child four years ago and have battled grief and depression. I was put on Deplin and it made a huge difference in my frame of mind. I went off of it a month ago because I started a new job and basically just forgot to get it filled. Big mistake. I have been extremely sad and depressed. I will be getting that prescription filled tomorrow. It was a lifesaver."

Suzeeh April 13, 2012

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had depression for 8 years and nothing has ever pleased me.. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago and my depression like doubled! I felt so lost and I really thought I was losing my mind!! I just wanted to end my life! I told my OBGYN and he gave me this medicine and I really haven't felt this good in years! It makes me feel relaxed and do nothing but laugh! My mom said she hasn't seen me this way in years! I was pushing my sons dad away because of how I been feeling but I just been so happy around him now! I can handle the baby's crying better and most of all myself! I just feel alive again. Thank you Deplin!"

WhoCares(: February 22, 2012

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with depression 11 years ago. I can't remember all of the anti-depressants I've been on, but for the last 5 years I've been on Welbutrin 450mg. My psychiatrist prescribed Mirtazapine, for it's energizing effects when on high doses. It didn't work for me; then he prescribed Deplin 15mg. I took it for 6 weeks. I could not tell a huge difference, so I didn't refill my prescription right away. (It's expensive since insurance won't cover it!) After I stopped my energy/motivation decreased, so I started taking it again. I've been on it for about a week now and have seen an increase in my energy again, but the motivation is still not as high as I it should be. Hopefully it will get better the longer I'm on it."

Anonymous February 20, 2012

"This medicine has been amazing. I have been on it for about 6 weeks. I am also taking Nardil which has been effective sporadically. Finally I'm happy ALL THE TIME! I've also had to greatly reduce my Levoxyl because my thyroid is speeding up. My depression is finally gone after years of treatment resistant atypical depression. "

Anonymous February 9, 2012

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"In about 1 week I noticed drastic change. I was feeling much happy, less mood swings, and even my anxiety had lessened. I like this medication because it's natural and has almost no side effects. I highly recommend it."

Anonymous January 22, 2012

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on so many different medications for the past few years. A couple of weeks ago my psychiatrist decided to try Deplin. I can't even begin to explain the change. I haven't felt this normal in five years. I'd forgotten what it was like to not be depressed. This is a miracle medicine."

Anonymous December 17, 2011

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I found the pamphlet for Deplin while sitting in the waiting room. I was very intrigued because all of the adjunct medicines for anti-depressants usually have many side effects. My doctor was skeptical, stating that it was just a vitamin but wrote me a 'script. Effexor is the only one that works for me. I tried Cymbalta for pain issues and spent most of the time in tears. Before my diagnosis, I was constantly suicidal. As of late, my dark moods were back too often. But after 3 days of Deplin, I woke up feeling motivated and hopeful. I am amazed but so grateful. "

CLMCT November 20, 2011

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Deplin for over a year now. At first I was on 7.5 mg and that was helpful but when that stopped working the Psych doctor increased the dosage up to 15 mg and it really works. What it does is helps your other antidepressants work better. Deplin will affect each person differently depending on which antidepressant you are taking."

Anonymous November 17, 2011

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have very bad treatment resistant depression/anxiety. I was on Prozac for a year and it worked wonders until I had to keep going up in dose and the side effects were just to bad. Since I have been put on Lexapro, Welbutrin, Vyvanse, and Lamictal none worked like the Prozac. Recently my doctor put back on Prozac, 20mg and added 15mg Deplin. Prozac usually take a month or longer to feel the effects, especially on a low dose. After two weeks I felt good already with no side effects! In fact my sex drive has actually increased. 20mg was never enough for me before and with Deplin it's perfect. I'm so happy."

Anonymous June 18, 2011

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Just turned 50 and I've fought with Bipolar Disorder and Depression my entire life. I've been taking 300mg of Lamictal to control mood swings and 1.5mg of Klonopin to treat chronic anxiety. Depression was still so overwhelming that I asked for an anti-depressant. The MD prescribed 200mg of Wellbutrin SR which had a positive effect, yet did not get rid of the underlying thoughts of death and dying; many of you will understand that I'm talking about a coping mechanism not actually wanting harm myself. A pharmacist told me to ask my MD about Deplin and that was the best medical advice I've ever received! I've been taking 15mg daily for over two months and have not felt this "normal" for many years! Thanks for reading my opinion."

So this is what I used to feel like! May 10, 2011

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Depression