User Reviews for L-methylfolate

Also known as: Deplin, Duleek-DP, L-Methylfolate Formula, Vilofane-DP, Zervalx

Learn more about L-methylfolate.

Folic Acid Deficiency 4 reviews 7 medications

Hyperhomocysteinemia 0 reviews 59 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of L-methylfolate reviews 47 reviews 8.5

Reviews for L-methylfolate

Review by John_Deaux:

For Depression: I'm 47 and heterozygous for both MTHFR mutations. I just came out of a deep, dark depression with the help of Effexor. I started taking 0.5 milligrams of methyl folate (yes, a very low dose) about a month ago. Even this small amount of methyl folate (in combo with methyl B12) affects me deeply and immediately. I take it before 8 in the morning, and it still influences my sleep that night. I have never been an active dreamer, but on methyl folate, I dream A LOT. I seem to feel more awake and active in the afternoons, as well. I agree with the commenter about being on methyl folate for a period of time before deciding if it works for you. You may feel the effects immediately, or later on. There may be ups and downs.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 5:46 PM

Review by Ellablue1:

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I was so very excited when I found out that I could be helped after being diagnosed with MTHFR, I was on Deplin 15mg a day, I actually felt fantastic after about 2 months of treatment, after about 8 months I slowly started getting severe muscle pain and weakness also extreme joint pain as to where I could barely work or do the slightest of activities. Doctors ran a ton of blood tests but found nothing, I recently stopped taking Deplin and have found that the issues have disappeared! I loved Deplin and am very sad I can't take it any longer! It really also helps with depression and mood!

August 25, 2014 5:48 AM

Review by Spectatrix (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: This is a great add-on medication for depression. I am compound heterozygous for the C677T and A1298C MTHFR mutations. I was taking Celexa and Wellbutrin and still having frequent depressive episodes when I first started taking the Deplin. After about a month on Deplin, I weaned off the Wellbutrin. We later lowered my dosage of Celexa too. I did try to wean off Celexa completely and use Deplin as mono-therapy, but ran into issues. I've been taking Celexa 20mg and Deplin 15mg for over a year now and it's still working great!

August 20, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by Jennifried (taken for less than 1 month):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: Added Deplin 15mg to 150 mg dose of Wellbutrin when the Wellbutrin no longer worked as well. It did help for a few days but then I developed severe muscle weakness, stiffness and pain particularly in my neck and shoulders. Bad enough that I could not turn my head or look up or down without great discomfort. Kind of felt like I had whiplash. I did some research and found that the muscle pain can be a side effect of both medications. I have not ever had this problem on Wellbutrin alone, so I'm inclined to think the Deplin caused this. I quit taking both medications because I couldn't function with the pain and stiffness any longer and 2 days later the pain is still there but is slowly subsiding.

August 4, 2014 6:24 PM

Review by Aging Backwards (taken for less than 1 month):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for : I finished the 6 day trial, and I must say I felt so good on the last 2-3 days on Deplin. I didn't experience the crazy lows I had in the last few months. I don't truly have depression, more like bipolar 2, and on no medications. I love my emotions, and want to work with them, so my naturopath suggested we try Deplin. I will be seeing her again next week, and I will ask her to continue it.

May 20, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by ladykatlee:

For Depression: Wow. Where to even start. I've been on several cocktails of antidepressants from ago 13-28. Finally, my doctor prescribed Methylfolate in conjuction with Celexa. Within 10 days, I felt more alive, motivated, energetic, and at peace then I had EVER felt in my life. Absolutely a miracle. If you have given up on the endless trial and error, please, please give this a chance.

May 2, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by just a guy:

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I thought I would share my experience as it may be helpful to others. I have been on this for over 2 years now... and depression wise (which is what I'm basing my rating off of because that is what this rating is supposed to pertain to) it hasn't done anything for me at all. At least nothing at all that I have ever noticed. I have stayed on the medication because of the fact IT DOES help bring down my homosistine levels. I have a condition referred to as MTHFR. Basically it's a liver enzyme condition that makes it so the body doesn't convert proteins/peptides very well. Common condition (1/10 americans) but rarely tested for. The lab had to look up what to do for drawing blood and testing for it.

March 26, 2014 4:38 AM

Review by jjojjo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: Has changed my life, both physical autoimmune, genetic, hormonal disorders have improved and mental health PTSD, ADHD, RBD-Dyslexia have improved. I wish I had known about my mutation in child bearing years as I lost five pregnancies. My only daughter was the one I had morning sickness with and didn't take prenatal multivitamins.

March 9, 2014 4:09 PM

Review by Frenchiemagoo:

For Depression: I have suffered with some depression but mostly anxiety for the past 15 years. I have taken Celexa and then Lexapro off and on (mainly on) for most of those years. While the Lexapro helps some, I still always had difficulty with my energy levels and with coping during really stressful situations. I was recently tested for MTHFR gene mutation, and was found to have the 1298c mutation, which can affect my brain's ability to utilize folate in order to make needed serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. My doctor prescribed Deplin (l-methylfolate), and even though I had read many good reviews, I was still hesitant. I have to say it has been a miracle for me. It's like this dark cloud has been lifted, and my anxiety has completely disappeared.

February 8, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by ladyKR:

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: In 28 years, after dozens of antidepressants, add on's, ECT's...I've never felt so full of life. Ever. An absolute miracle this was. I was absolutely lifeless. I feel sorrow for having gone so long miserable, but blessed to have been lucky enough to have a doctor try this with me.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 10:22 AM

Review by whizbang1111 (taken for less than 1 month):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I have been taking Deplin for 18 days and I do notice a slight change in my depression/brain fog and energy levels. I think it is being inhibited by my Adderall withdrawal but am hoping it is helpful since I've tried many medications and nothing has really helped.

July 8, 2013 4:24 PM

Review by johnny734 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I want to I really say people should wait at least 3 months before they rate Deplin or any psychiatric medicine, unless you have some major horrible reaction. Deplin gave me a kick start the first week I took it for some reason but then the effects disappeared. I talked to the P-doc and he said it takes something like 6 weeks to build up in your system. Well after about 6 weeks or so I started to notice the effects. It gave my Wellbutrin a huge boost and my energy level rose through the roof. People rating a medicine after 2 days is just ridiculous and annoying. Even the SSRI's take a couple weeks to work. Stop it people.

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2013 2:20 AM

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I'm so happy for you all. It is just pure hell dealing with depression, no sleep, continual thoughts, obsessive compulsive disorder, and not happy at all. Maybe if we all get figured out that this is what we need. Imagine how cheap our health insurance could go to. This is wonderful, I take folic acid and it does make a big difference.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by Mark2112 Deplin works for me. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: Deplin worked for me but is not for everybody. I have the genetic mutation which others on this website have talked about, which keeps the body from processing folic acid into L-methylfolate which is needed by the brain for the other neurotransmitters to work properly. A blood test ($280) proved this. Before Deplin I was was on Bipolar meds (including Seroquel which was miserable) and antidepressants. Now I am only on Deplin and Clonazepam for chronic anxiety and am feeling re-energized.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2013 10:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I have had treatment-resistant depression for 20 years and have tried Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Lexapro and Viibryd. Lexapro (20 mg) and Wellbutrin (300mg XL) seem to work best but even with talk therapy, good diet and exercise I still have never achieved full remission. After my psych doctor retired, I switched to another who had me tested for MTHFR mutations and started me on 15mg of Deplin. Within 7 days I felt better than I could ever remember - it was like a light switch! Test results showed I am homozygous for the C677T MTHFR mutation. I stopped taking Deplin after some agitation & anxiety started; I restarted on a lower dose before ramping up to 15 again. I have yet to see the same improvement after 3 weeks.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2012 12:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: I was tested for MTHFR genetic mutations after several years of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue type symptoms. BINGO! I have compound heterozygous mutations. Which can cause whole host of health issues, many I have been experiencing since youth. Once I started 7.5mg of Deplin with Methyl b12 my aches, brain fog, and unrelenting fatigue started to diminish..this is a life changer!

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2012 8:54 PM

Review by Suzeeh:

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I lost my only child four years ago and have battled grief and depression. I was put on Deplin and it made a huge difference in my frame of mind. I went off of it a month ago because I started a new job and basically just forgot to get it filled. Big mistake. I have been extremely sad and depressed. I will be getting that prescription filled tomorrow. It was a lifesaver.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2012 12:35 AM

Review by Elsie Aches:

For Depression: I have suffered from depression for about 30 years.. crippling depression with anxiety since 1992. I am 62. I have taken nearly every antidepressant and none really worked. I read this forum about four months ago and decided to order 5-MTHF,10 mg. After about three weeks, I realized I was coming up from the deep depression. I was taking 20 mg of Lexapro and cut that down to 10 mg a day. I am excited that this might be what I need but will wait a while before foregoing with the Lexapro because I'm not ready to enter that deep depression if this doesn't work by itself. I am so excited even if I do have to continue the Lexapro. To feel like getting out of bed, doing normal things and feeling good is great. I will post updates.

February 24, 2012 4:18 PM

Review by WhoCares(::

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I have had depression for 8 years and nothing has ever pleased me.. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago and my depression like doubled! I felt so lost and I really thought I was losing my mind!! I just wanted to end my life! I told my OBGYN and he gave me this medicine and I really haven't felt this good in years! It makes me feel relaxed and do nothing but laugh! My mom said she hasn't seen me this way in years! I was pushing my sons dad away because of how I been feeling but I just been so happy around him now! I can handle the baby's crying better and most of all myself! I just feel alive again. Thank you Deplin!

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2012 2:09 AM

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I was diagnosed with depression 11 years ago. I can't remember all of the anti-depressants I've been on, but for the last 5 years I've been on Welbutrin 450mg. My psychiatrist prescribed Mirtazapine, for it's energizing effects when on high doses. It didn't work for me; then he prescribed Deplin 15mg. I took it for 6 weeks. I could not tell a huge difference, so I didn't refill my prescription right away. (It's expensive since insurance won't cover it!) After I stopped my energy/motivation decreased, so I started taking it again. I've been on it for about a week now and have seen an increase in my energy again, but the motivation is still not as high as I it should be. Hopefully it will get better the longer I'm on it.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2012 2:00 PM

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: This medicine has been amazing. I have been on it for about 6 weeks. I am also taking Nardil which has been effective sporadically. Finally I'm happy ALL THE TIME! I've also had to greatly reduce my Levoxyl because my thyroid is speeding up. My depression is finally gone after years of treatment resistant atypical depression.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2012 11:07 AM

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: In about 1 week I noticed drastic change. I was feeling much happy, less mood swings, and even my anxiety had lessened. I like this medication because it's natural and has almost no side effects. I highly recommend it.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2012 1:54 AM

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I've been on so many different medications for the past few years. A couple of weeks ago my psychiatrist decided to try Deplin. I can't even begin to explain the change. I haven't felt this normal in five years. I'd forgotten what it was like to not be depressed. This is a miracle medicine.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2011 1:46 AM

Review by CLMCT:

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I found the pamphlet for Deplin while sitting in the waiting room. I was very intrigued because all of the adjunct medicines for anti-depressants usually have many side effects. My doctor was skeptical, stating that it was just a vitamin but wrote me a 'script. Effexor is the only one that works for me. I tried Cymbalta for pain issues and spent most of the time in tears. Before my diagnosis, I was constantly suicidal. As of late, my dark moods were back too often. But after 3 days of Deplin, I woke up feeling motivated and hopeful. I am amazed but so grateful.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2011 3:58 PM

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: I have been on Deplin for over a year now. At first I was on 7.5 mg and that was helpful but when that stopped working the Psych doctor increased the dosage up to 15 mg and it really works. What it does is helps your other antidepressants work better. Deplin will affect each person differently depending on which antidepressant you are taking.

November 17, 2011 8:23 PM