User Reviews for L-methylfolate

Also known as: Deplin, Duleek-DP, L-Methylfolate Formula, Vilofane-DP, Zervalx

Learn more about L-methylfolate.

Folic Acid Deficiency 4 reviews 7 medications

Depression 55 reviews 77 medications

8.5
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

6.3
Summary of L-methylfolate reviews 61 reviews 8.3

Reviews for L-methylfolate

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have suffered with depression as long as I can remember, high school and since. I'm 30 years old. I've tried everything to help my depression. Paxil lexpril prozac HTP5 WELBUTRIN and now celexa. Celexa did help more than the other antidepressants bUT still I was suffering from depression. I lost my baby girl doggie who was only 3 years old and was just like my child. My world fell apart and my depression became severe at the worst I ve ever experienced. I went to the doctor to talk about options as the severity of depression was overruling my life. Doc gave me 30 deplin 15 mg capsules samples. In 2 days I felt alive again. I am so grateful. Look up brand direct health and have you dr send your script to them. Much cheaper. 65 $ for 30cap"

MyleeJ14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Within just days of my first dose, I could fell a huge, positive difference. My mind and speech were clearer, my anxiety was nearly unrecognizable, and I was just plain happy. I admit that the cost has been somewhat limiting at times. When I have chosen to delay filling a prescription for a week or two, not only can I feel the difference, but my coworkers, family and friends quickly point out the changes. It's an amazing supplement and worth every penny (when I have it to spare). Plan to stay on it from now on!"

RNGeorgia September 23, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I was born with Spina Bifida L4-5 s1-2 along wt a myleomingeocole. My Birth issues were due to LowFolate. Through life I have struggled wt Depression always being told it was due to the Spina Bifida. I fought through a major depression my senior year in college. When I became employed following college and had insurance I sought counseling & medication taking imipramine. When Prozac became available I began it. After a decline in my health from a stoke at 33 My depression became worse requiring hospitalization. Five years ago I returned to my hometown & sought medical care from my high school friend. He tested me for L methyofolate deficiency. I was deficient he put me on Deplin 15mg wt Zoloft 100mg. I am finally emotionally healthy"

Terriwriter September 4, 2015

For Depression: "Deplin has helped to clear my thinking and has improved my memory, big difference noted when stoped. Continued right away after stopping!"

CrystalJx August 21, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have been taking Paxil/Paroxetine for approx.15 years. About 2 years ago, I mentioned to my psychiatrist that I had long been very sensitive to noise. I would get really upset (angry) by the sound of the doorbell, or even my young daughter's playfulness. My Dr. recommended Deplin as an additional "medicine". After a couple of weeks of taking Deplin,,my sensitivity improved greatly. I did not feel any different, nor have any side-effects. I stopped for a couple of weeks, thinking that it didn't really do anything, and I DID notice a big difference. Although it is expensive, I will continue to take my 15mg every day (along with my Paxil) It works!, My husband agrees! "

StaceyaS August 8, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I started taking Deplin 2 months ago in addition to the 300 mg. of Wellbutrin I had already been taking for several years. I was experiencing a very low level of chronic depression but generally okay. The doctor recommended I try Deplin to see whether it would increase my level of well-being. I could swear I feel a lot MORE depressed with the Deplin. Nothing has changed in terms of life style over the past few months, so I can't think of any other explanation. Needless to say, I'm going to stop taking it. I had no idea it might worsen my symptoms."

Haystackneedle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "My sister was tested and has the MTHFR mutation. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and bowel problems since childhood. I have only been on Deplin for five days but I have never been so energized and just generally happy in my life. Finally I have hope for the future. Before I was unsure how long I could last because I knew all of my symptoms were slowly worsening. Now I feel like a little kid again. All I want to do is dance around and do handstands. Everything and everyone makes me laugh and life has never been so good. My ADHD, depression(obviously) and IBS have dissipated, I have increased sex drive and metabolism and even my liver is detoxing again. THANK YOU DEPLIN"

I feel like a puppy May 10, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Because this is a food/medicine, there is no way it can cause side effects. I have only been on it for a little over a week, but I am thrilled!! I do not feel depressed, and I am feeling energized and better than I have in years! I have taken every kind of antidepressant there is, I think. I weaned off the last one, and right now I am not on anything but Deplin. I am amazed."

glbrosnan (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

For Depression: "Depression sufferer my whole life. On Deplin for last year and my lows vanished within first week on 15mg/day. It's all I'm taking and the benefit is absolutely profound. Zero side effects. Most psychiatrists downplay the lack of studies but it definitely works for me better than anything else I've tried. Good luck."

Male, 46 yrs old (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I've been using antidepressants for quite a few years now. I seem to have gone through the entire list of antidepressants. My latest script is Escitalopram Tabs, 10mg. We recently added Abilify and this Deplin Caps, 15mg. I've been feeling a bit better. One of these two give me an awful case of Heartburn! Painful it is. I'll mention it during my next appointment. Now, as before, I can't watch anything with intense emotions as I'll breakdown and start crying. At age 52 I find it a bit annoying. Before I added these last two medicines I found myself crying more frequent than not. The movie "UP" really freaked me out. Anyway I'm disabled with intractable pain. That's what started all the depression stuff."

stgecko (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have been taking Citalopram and Clonazepam (for panic attack only) for MONTHS. My anxiety level, even on these medicines, was completely out of control. To the point where my muscles were twitching non stop all day long (as well as other physical symptoms). I added the Deplin to my 20mg Citalopram at the request of my doctor. Within a few days I felt like a completely new person! Better than I have felt in years. My muscle twitching completely went away and I no longer have obsessive thoughts. I highly recommend this medicine for anyone suffering with severe anxiety or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It is life changer. Well worth the $60 a month."

Anxious like crazy (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "After YEARS of depression & anxiety I'd been on countless combinations of medicines. The past few years severe health problems (open heart surgery @ 37 and a bowel resection @ 39 over 200 days in hospital) have contributed to the lowest lows of my life. I've spent the vast majority of the past two years in pajamas. EVERYTHING felt overwhelming. Living a normal life again seemed impossible. I had absolutely NO energy & believed I'd feel tired forever which made me sad all the time. After adding Deplin to the Celexa I've been taking for years, I am amazed by the results. It's been like flipping a switch in my brain. The darkness has been flooded with light. I have the motivation to live life again. Deplin is nothing short of a miracle!"

JDmom2four (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2015

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "For the past several years I have been trying to find the right balance to deal with the anxiety and depression of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have been on Citalopram for the depression and that seems to work well. It has been hard to find an antipsychotic that works and currently I'm on Latuda. I'm also on a mood stabilizer Lamictal. My Dr added Deplin. Long story I wound up without my Latuda and Deplin for about 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I was off the charts on the ups and my old patterns were popping up. Not good. I went back on the Latuda and began evening out but still had too much up. Now I've been back on the Deplin for a week and I feel completely numb. Trouble sleeping at the right times, trouble being awake or at least alert at the right times."

ktexas October 27, 2014

For Depression: "So we are still learning about methylfolate and its effects in depression as it's still pretty new (megavitamin) and we're still learning about the role genetics play in the methylation cycle. I noticed a boost after a week on 15mg then it disappeared. I kept taking even though it wasn't really working anymore. Then after about six weeks I got a huge boost and as I was also on Wellbutrin at the time, it was actually way too much serotonin in my system. I think some people need doses much lower than the prescription strength and it can take a while for the full effect to kick in. It can take a little while to get back to a healthy level but it can definitely help boost whatever else you're on. Look out for hypomania if you're bipolar."

Danforth (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2014

For Depression: "I'm 47 and heterozygous for both MTHFR mutations. I just came out of a deep, dark depression with the help of Effexor. I started taking 0.5 milligrams of methyl folate (yes, a very low dose) about a month ago. Even this small amount of methyl folate (in combo with methyl B12) affects me deeply and immediately. I take it before 8 in the morning, and it still influences my sleep that night. I have never been an active dreamer, but on methyl folate, I dream A LOT. I seem to feel more awake and active in the afternoons, as well. I agree with the commenter about being on methyl folate for a period of time before deciding if it works for you. You may feel the effects immediately, or later on. There may be ups and downs."

John_Deaux October 16, 2014

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I was so very excited when I found out that I could be helped after being diagnosed with MTHFR, I was on Deplin 15mg a day, I actually felt fantastic after about 2 months of treatment, after about 8 months I slowly started getting severe muscle pain and weakness also extreme joint pain as to where I could barely work or do the slightest of activities. Doctors ran a ton of blood tests but found nothing, I recently stopped taking Deplin and have found that the issues have disappeared! I loved Deplin and am very sad I can't take it any longer! It really also helps with depression and mood!"

Ellablue1 August 25, 2014

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "This is a great add-on medication for depression. I am compound heterozygous for the C677T and A1298C MTHFR mutations. I was taking Celexa and Wellbutrin and still having frequent depressive episodes when I first started taking the Deplin. After about a month on Deplin, I weaned off the Wellbutrin. We later lowered my dosage of Celexa too. I did try to wean off Celexa completely and use Deplin as mono-therapy, but ran into issues. I've been taking Celexa 20mg and Deplin 15mg for over a year now and it's still working great!"

Spectatrix (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Added Deplin 15mg to 150 mg dose of Wellbutrin when the Wellbutrin no longer worked as well. It did help for a few days but then I developed severe muscle weakness, stiffness and pain particularly in my neck and shoulders. Bad enough that I could not turn my head or look up or down without great discomfort. Kind of felt like I had whiplash. I did some research and found that the muscle pain can be a side effect of both medications. I have not ever had this problem on Wellbutrin alone, so I'm inclined to think the Deplin caused this. I quit taking both medications because I couldn't function with the pain and stiffness any longer and 2 days later the pain is still there but is slowly subsiding."

Jennifried (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for : "I finished the 6 day trial, and I must say I felt so good on the last 2-3 days on Deplin. I didn't experience the crazy lows I had in the last few months. I don't truly have depression, more like bipolar 2, and on no medications. I love my emotions, and want to work with them, so my naturopath suggested we try Deplin. I will be seeing her again next week, and I will ask her to continue it."

Aging Backwards (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2014

For Depression: "Wow. Where to even start. I've been on several cocktails of antidepressants from ago 13-28. Finally, my doctor prescribed Methylfolate in conjuction with Celexa. Within 10 days, I felt more alive, motivated, energetic, and at peace then I had EVER felt in my life. Absolutely a miracle. If you have given up on the endless trial and error, please, please give this a chance."

ladykatlee May 2, 2014

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I thought I would share my experience as it may be helpful to others. I have been on this for over 2 years now... and depression wise (which is what I'm basing my rating off of because that is what this rating is supposed to pertain to) it hasn't done anything for me at all. At least nothing at all that I have ever noticed. I have stayed on the medication because of the fact IT DOES help bring down my homosistine levels. I have a condition referred to as MTHFR. Basically it's a liver enzyme condition that makes it so the body doesn't convert proteins/peptides very well. Common condition (1/10 americans) but rarely tested for. The lab had to look up what to do for drawing blood and testing for it."

just a guy March 26, 2014

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: "Has changed my life, both physical autoimmune, genetic, hormonal disorders have improved and mental health PTSD, ADHD, RBD-Dyslexia have improved. I wish I had known about my mutation in child bearing years as I lost five pregnancies. My only daughter was the one I had morning sickness with and didn't take prenatal multivitamins."

jjojjo (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2014

For Depression: "I have suffered with some depression but mostly anxiety for the past 15 years. I have taken Celexa and then Lexapro off and on (mainly on) for most of those years. While the Lexapro helps some, I still always had difficulty with my energy levels and with coping during really stressful situations. I was recently tested for MTHFR gene mutation, and was found to have the 1298c mutation, which can affect my brain's ability to utilize folate in order to make needed serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. My doctor prescribed Deplin (l-methylfolate), and even though I had read many good reviews, I was still hesitant. I have to say it has been a miracle for me. It's like this dark cloud has been lifted, and my anxiety has completely disappeared."

Frenchiemagoo February 8, 2014

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "In 28 years, after dozens of antidepressants, add on's, ECT's...I've never felt so full of life. Ever. An absolute miracle this was. I was absolutely lifeless. I feel sorrow for having gone so long miserable, but blessed to have been lucky enough to have a doctor try this with me."

ladyKR December 14, 2013

194 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have been taking Deplin for 18 days and I do notice a slight change in my depression/brain fog and energy levels. I think it is being inhibited by my Adderall withdrawal but am hoping it is helpful since I've tried many medications and nothing has really helped."

whizbang1111 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2013