User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Melanoma, Metastatic 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Accutane reviews 240 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Accutane

Review by sar.xo:

For Acne: Accutane has changed my life! I suffered from acne from the age of 14, and now I am almost 19. I started Accutane 5 months ago, and I have one month left on it. The first month on Accutane my acne started to clear up slightly. The 2nd, 3rd, and beginning of the 4th month are the most frustrating times on this medicine. My skin started to break out a lot, and I saw no improvement. I am now on my 5th month of Accutane and my skin is perfectly clear. I have no break outs, and my skin is so smooth. I never thought I would have perfect skin, but thanks to Accutane I do. The only side effects I experienced was dry lips, so I always carry a lip moisturizer on me! I am so thankful for this medicine.

December 9, 2013 3:28 PM

Review by Aavishkar Patel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: Acne: Cleared up completely in 6 months and no acne for 6 more months. After that breakouts started again. Side effects: Mood- swings (Mild) Hair Loss (Very Severe)

December 1, 2013 2:00 PM

Review by bobba123:

For Acne: I took accutane for 1 year, and my skin became completely clear. However, after being off for 1 year now, i've noticed my pimples are coming back again, but at the same time, they're not half as bad before I took accutane. I would definitely recommend accutane to anyone who is suffering extreme acne on their face, because there are a lot of side effects, like dry lips, skin, eyes and mouth. If you notice your pimples are coming back after Accutane, I would recommend tropical creams to take away small pimples, or off the shelf products like Clinique.

November 11, 2013 4:19 PM

Review by Corporal Saenz USMC (taken for 10 years or more):

For Acne: 1995-1996 I was in 40mg is Accutane while stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I was a Go getter soldier, but being on light duty 24/7 due to sun exposure I suddenly became depressed. I carried my depression out to civilian world when I left. Depression developed anxiety. My facial sweating was and still is profusive.. I'm 38 yrs old the oldest grandchild of 54 grand kids and the only one without a child of my own, I blame Accutane. I'm have 10% service connected tinnitus from use. And I just found out last month that I have glaucoma stemmed from the Occular opacities from use of Accutane. Been bloated ever since I left service in 1997, we are 2013. I esophagitis been scoped 21 times also colonoscopy at age 27

November 10, 2013 5:14 AM

Review by MaeveNicole:

For Acne: I had heard that so many people had success with accutane, and I especially saw the success my cousin had with it, so I was really excited. The first month I took it all the skin peeled off on my lips, and face, and I had to stop wearing contacts because it dried my eyes so bad and it made my acne the worst it's ever been. I felt awful about myself. I constantly tried to fix my hair so that it would cover my face and do anything to avoid going out in public. I looked awful. Accutane did this to me until the last month I was on it and then my face was semi clear, but once I stopped it my acne came back the same. 1 month of decent skin!? :'( Only thing that helps me control acne is SULFER *Pomada de Azufre* bought at Walgreens.

October 27, 2013 12:34 PM

Review by Liz1224:

For Acne: I was on accutane for six months and I couldn't believe how clear my skin got just in two weeks. I never had the begining breakout. Over the months almost all of my acne was gone. I used to have over a hundred bumps on my forehead and big puffy ones on my cheeks. I am now done the treatment and still have blackheads and scars on my cheeks and I'm disappointed they didn't go away because it was such an expensive hassle to go each month for appointments and blood work and making sure you pick it up in the time frame. The side effects were severe chapped lips, nose bleeds, and depression. That was the worst but I went through it and it all goes away.

October 24, 2013 8:23 AM

Review by Rosacea success:

For Rosacea: I took Accutane about 10 years ago, it was a pain to go to the lab every month so I could get my prescription but it was worth it. My skin was so bumpy and inflammed that at some points my eyes would be swollen shut from the massive bumps on my cheeks. I only took Accutane for about 3 months and I have been mostly clear since. I have only had about 2 large rosacea related cysts since and they were 1/4 the size and didn't have the pain that just made you want to cry. I'm still on other medications as it didn't completely clear up my rosacea acne but it was 80% better and I couldn't be happier that I no longer suffer from the pain of the cysts.

October 15, 2013 7:17 AM

Review by Emmmmmmmaleeeeeee:

For Acne: Changed my life. Had terrible acne all through middle school and most tretinoin creams and tetracycline medication did nothing. Although hearing from my dermatologist all of the side effects, etc., it was all worth it. My self confidence and happiness with myself has been all worth it!

September 12, 2013 10:26 PM

Review by Shaz of Brampton (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I highly recommend this treatment. I had my second child at 33yrs & for the next two years spent too much money fighting the worst breakouts I'd ever had in my life. I was at the point where I would not go out because I hated the acne marks. My doctor told me I was a good candidate for Accutane & after consulting friends who had taken it in their teen years I decided to take the treatment. No Regrets! It is not an easy process. Treatment was for 6 months. My skin and lips peeled after the first month up to the 5th and they were very sensitive to the sun. It felt raw. My joints were very tight when I woke up in the morning (like arthritis). But Worth every Discomfort. Treatment ended Oct 2011 and have been Breakout Free for the last 2 years.

September 10, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Ej1234:

For Acne: My acne was severe before Accutane. I was at the point where I wouldn't leave the house, I had no social life, it was so horrendous it was emotionally awful and physically painful too, I felt suicidal it was that bad I felt like a monster, tried so many ways to get rid of my acne from the age of 13, nothing worked. It just got worse, turned cystic and then when I turned 21 I decided to take the plunge and go for Accutane, not joking the first 2 months were hell and I felt like giving up, but I carried it on and yeah the side effects like dry skin and lips were bad and I was moody but all I regret is not taking it sooner, my skin is perfect now and glows. I look like a different person, I'd advise this 100%.

September 9, 2013 6:07 PM

Review by Kirstyfaye (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: DON'T BE PUT OFF BY A BAD REVIEW! I took Accutane when I was 18, I held off taking it for a while as of all of the reviews. Me and my friend were both on it, she suffered with the dry skin and nose bleeds but its no where near as bad as it sounds. I never even noticed her dry skin and if you're good and slap moisturizer on you'll be fine! I threatened about the dry skin and I tell you I didn't have one side effect I just remember loving life! No more make up sliding off my face due to oiliness either. The side effects depend on your dose I was on 30mg but my friend was on 80mg and had side effects. You can take a lower dose but you'll be on the treatment for longer as you're given a certain amount depending on your weight.

September 8, 2013 6:04 PM

Review by kaylazomglions45 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I had acne since 6th grade! I started treating it while I was in 9th grade. I have gone to three different dermatologists and tried everything. Starting with the face wash, then gel, than a paste, then Yaz then both, then up the dosage...nothing worked. Finally I got a referral to see a dermatologist to get Accutane. The first three months no big difference. Its about my 4th or 5th month and I have no pimples. I started out with 40mg 1xday then upped the dosage to 40mg every other day i.e. 80mg every other day. Best thing I've ever done.

August 23, 2013 2:16 AM

For Acne: I had acne towards the end of middle school going into high school and by my sophomore year it was really a full blown problem. My cheeks and my forehead and almost every part of my face was covered in acne. After trying antibiotics and creams for 2 years I was recommended Accutane. The first 4 months I did not see that much in results but when the 5th month hit it was intense. My face cleared up right away and I look like a completely different person! It was amazing. There were downsides though, the depression that it causes is real. I have been off the medication now for 3 1/2 years with my skin still looking great.

August 11, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by Alexis Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: This is now my fourth month on Accutane. I had moderate acne on my T-zone (chin, upper lip, nose and forehead). But I had terrible acne on my back, chest, shoulders and upper arms. It was so embarrassing, I was so worried about what shirts I could wear that I could wear my hair up. Shirts that were to short on my arms or v-necks. I hated it and its so bad on your self esteem. I tried everything, topical creams, face washes and antibiotics. NOTHING WORKED. I visited my dermatologist and he prescribed me Accutane. At first I was very skeptical with all the pregnancy tests, blood tests and the whole I pledge system. After three weeks my face was so clear, my back, chest and shoulders were so clear except for some scarring.

August 8, 2013 4:12 PM

Review by k3m (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: After about 7 years of struggling with severe, sometimes even deeply cystic acne on my face and shoulders, my dermatologist finally convinced me to try Accutane. I had been on at least 10 different topical and oral medications beforehand and nothing helped at all until I went on a 6 month Accutane regimen. It gets a little worse before it gets better, but I'm on my last month now and I'm 100% CLEAR! It's so wonderful! However the medicine is really drying, especially on your lips and eyes (plus I wear contacts). You need to apply lip balm almost constantly but it's worth it in the end! Also my arms dried out and were red and flaky for a few weeks, but a drugstore lotion cleared that up quickly. I would highly recommend Accutane to anyone!

July 31, 2013 10:28 PM

Review by Emily2597:

For Acne: I've been on Accutane for almost 4 months now. My skin is getting better everyday and I'm really happy with the physical results. However, Accutane began to give me depression during the first week and it has stuck with me since. Although the side effect has not gotten worse (and won't, I've asked my dermatologist). It's definitely not good and I've read that it won't go away until a few months after I have finished my course. NOTE: I had already suffered depression before beginning the course & it is hereditary in my family.

July 30, 2013 7:46 AM

Review by Damn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I had severe acne, rosacea and had tried tetracycline antibiotics, Duac, Differin and Dianette to get rid of it with no results- it was that bad I had stopped going out! Referred to dermatologist and prescribed isotretinoin at 40mg per day. Within 7 days my face had cleared completely. This is like a miracle. My skin is still slightly red from the rosacea but nothing I can't cover with concealer. Side effects so far are blurred vision, muscle pains and dry skin and lips- been through 4 tubs of Carmex in the four weeks I've been on Accutane. Using cetaphil moisturiser and E45 emollient cleanser. Cannot recommend this enough- side effects are annoying but well worth it in the short term in my opinion. Wish I'd insisted on this 4 years ago.

July 27, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by mwah:

For Acne: My face was bad and was on it for 6 months. Face was clear over time but bad side effects; depression, nose bleeds, mood swings, dry lips eyes face but worked. Now my acne is coming back thinking of going on a higher dosage.

July 25, 2013 12:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: Yes it did clear my acne once I was on it. I had cystic acne around my chin and forehead, and some acne on my cheeks. But I would say no less than a year later, it started coming back. Granted it was not as bad as before, but I was extremely surprised to see acne come back so soon. Now about 3 years later it is TERRIBLE. I am getting cystic acne again and a new pimple is popping up pretty much everyday around my chin. I really don't want to have to go on another treatment of Accutane. I had already been on 2 six month treatments in a row.

July 25, 2013 1:23 AM

Review by Brash34:

For Acne: Accutane worked great for me. When I quit smoking and started working out at the gym, I broke out on my cheeks and my back. Took Accutane for 4 months (80mg daily) and had dry lips, dry eyes, dry face (moisturizer daily), very red and sensitive skin and peeling hands. Made it through with a little bit of suffering and I must say my face is 100% clear and it had been 2 months without it so far and my back is about 80% better. Might consider another short treatment in the winter to try and combat my back a little more but so far very satisfied with my results. I know I was worried sick and contemplated taking it for weeks after reading reviews and then finally took the plunge. Don't regret it for a second. Million times happier.

July 15, 2013 10:03 AM

For Acne: Accutane seriously changed my life. I never really had bad acne on my face just a couple spots and every once in a while break outs but nothing to bad. But my chest and back were terrible. I couldn't go to school without wearing shirts up to my neck. I couldn't even wear a bathing suit around anybody but my really close friends and family. My dermatologist told me to try Acctane. I was really scared at first because I heard it had some bad side effects but i had tried everything. Within the first month my acne on my back and chest were almost none existent. The only down sides is it makes your lips very dry. Carmex was the only thing that worked for me. I highly suggest Accutane. The Pros overcome the Cons by 1000 percent.

July 14, 2013 12:48 AM

Review by Anonymous23:

For Acne: After dealing with acne for my entire life I finally took my doctors advice and started Accutane. I was a little skeptical at first because of all the side effects but every other cream/oral medication had failed. The first month I didn't see much of a difference so then he upped my dosage from 20mg to 30mg. The second month I was completely clear and he put me on 40mg the third month my face was terrible it was like I wasn't even taking Accutane but that only lasted like 2 weeks and then I went up to 80mg a day and wow did it work. I am currently on month 7 and my face has never looked better. I don't have to wear any makeup before I go out and I feel 100% confident. The chapped lips are bad but I use Dr. Dans hydrocortisone chapstick.

July 13, 2013 12:01 PM

Review by Truth Seeker (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: Accutane is the best medication on the market in my opinion. Not only am I a pharmacist, but I have taken this medication myself . It WORKS... Before taking Accutane I had the most oily skin. You could literally fry a chicken on my forehead during a hot summer day. By approximately month four my skin had never looked better. Everyone who is struggling with acne should highly consider this medication.

June 29, 2013 12:38 AM

Review by charlottejo0ones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I started on Accuntane on 2nd March and I'm now coming up to finishing my treatment with only 3 weeks left. I genuinely can't express enough how effective Accutane is. My acne was moderate and rather than lesions, etc. I had lots of small spots all over my chin and forehead and beginning to reach out to my cheeks. I went on Duac then oxytetracycline and enthromycin, none of them worked for me! I saw results from Accutane in the first month! My skin did get dry and my lips chapped and flaked badly but if you keep applying E45 and Burts Bees it will keep the flakiness at bay! Honestly I am thankful to Accutane for my new found confidence and I now happily leave the house with no make-up!

June 20, 2013 11:58 AM

Review by Joceyy:

For Acne: Accutane IS awesome! Of course you're going be dry- but you will be clear and stay clear. Stick with it- the side effects are only temporary but clear skin forever is worth it.

June 12, 2013 8:50 PM