User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

8.7
Melanoma, Metastatic 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Accutane reviews 282 reviews 9.5

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "Started it at 31, all the extra stuff that comes with the medication are SO worth it. Yeah you feel achy and have dry skin but it literally gets rid of everything. I had mild but very persistent acne since my early teens....this included body acne. I tried it all, detergents, shampoos, fash washes...nothing worked. I had very oily skin. I was free of acne after about 3 weeks of taking it. I've had maybe 10 tiny zits since then and I am in month 4 of 6."

MiracleCURE! November 25, 2014

For Acne "Best thing I've ever done ! I started getting acne when I was 7 took Accutane when I was 11 & my entire face cleared up within 9 months longer then expected but I don't get any acne beside when I'm menstruating & their very minor. Only side effects were very dry skin & lips & mood swings I recommend it"

Anonymous November 21, 2014

For Acne "I used Accutane about 11 years ago after trying every pill and cream and going through 4 different dermatologists. I had the usual side effect (dry everything). I went 10 years with perfect skin, not even 1 pimple. It was amazing. Over the last year my skin started getting very oily again and the breakouts were getting bad. I went back to my dermatologist where she had me try a few other medicines first and then we both decided it was back to the Accutane. I am just finishing up my first month back on the Accutane and I cannot wait to get it over with! I apply Vaseline to my lips every 20-30 minutes...I keep moisturizer on me all the time and have blood in my nose almost every morning.....but I know the end result is worth it!!"

JenniferLee78979 November 19, 2014

For Acne "*Sebaceous Hyperplasia*, The one change I am most thrilled about is it got rid of all of my sebaceous hyperplasia (enlarged oil glands) bumps within the first week! I started getting these hard bumps about 5 years ago and 26 days ago, I had about 40 of them around my hairline and some on my chin, forehead, and cheek and my chest was starting to get super bumpy, today (day 26 on Accutane) I don't have a single bump. *Acne* As far as my acne, I am definitely having a flare up and it feels like all of my blackheads are being pushed out and so my skin feels very bumpy, but as of about 5 days ago I don't have to blot anymore and I can go 3 days without washing my hair."

Leila951 November 10, 2014

For Acne "I suffered severe form of acne from around 15 and after being subscribed to countless forms of antibiotics over the years (which had little or no effect), it was seriously affecting my self confidence and social life. My GP then decided to prescribe me for a 6 month course of Accutane, starting at 20mg/day. At first (months 1-2 )the improvements were small, the only effects being dry skin and lips. But then, there started to be gradual improvements from months 3-4 when I was taking 40mg/day. In months 5-6 my dosage was increased to 60 and 80mg/day respectively and the improvements were incredible. I can honestly say this medication has changed my life and would recommend it to anybody considering it!"

CDH97 November 7, 2014

For Acne "I'm up to my 4th month of Accutane and overall I'm happy with it. My advice to people thinking about trying it is just give it a go! You won't know until you try it, and biggest piece of advice is to know your body's limits. If you're on a high dose and for example your lips are dry enough that its affecting your daily life, just lower your dose! Easy as that. Talk to your dermatologist and tell them how you're feeling about it and they'll be happy for you to stick to a dosage that both improves your skin and keeps the rest of your body happy."

EmilyMayLil November 2, 2014

For Acne "I took Accutane when I was a teenager in the 1980's...I don't remember any side effects . My acne was pretty bad and it cured it. I haven't had a problem since."

Rholeigh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2014

For Acne "I am a 38-year-old female who has had acne since I was 10 years old I have tried every over-the-counter medication possible for acne since 1986 to 2012 After years of constant painful acne, my doctor finally decided that my case was severe enough to qualify for this medicine called Accutane/Isotretinoin. There's a long list of side effects which may seem scary at first, my only side effect was minor dry skin which was curable with a good moisturizer. I completed my treatment in January 2013 and this is now October 2014 and I am still acne free, longest period in my life ever to not have acne. I was on this for approximately five months but I first started seeing results in a month. I haven't worn make up on my face since then."

Shadall October 20, 2014

For Acne "I loved Accutane. I have taken it twice. It seemed to work for me for 5 years each time. I got the dry skin. I used baby washcloths and Neutrogena oil free fragrance free moisturizer. After the first few weeks it got better though. Best acne medicine on the market! By far!"

Forever struggle (taken for 10 years or more) October 18, 2014

For Acne "Hi everyone! This is my second month of taking Accutane. I am taking 40 mg doses a day, and by far I have noticed that along with my severe cystic acne, I used to have a lot of comedones (small white hard substance which if pinched comes out like a hard thread like thing) around my chin and nose area. It used to look disgusting as it gave a grainy and cactus like appearance, but thanks to isotretinoin, I am completely rid of comedones. But I still have occasional breakout and have about 8 big cysts on my face which still need to dry up. I am a big time squeezer and don't know how to stop myself from doing that. Will update after two more months. I give an 8/10 as of now. -22 yo female, India."

haplessacne (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

For Acne "60kg female. I had cystitis acne on face and jaw. I had acne from 13 years of age. I'm 31 now. I tried everything! Then asked for Accutane. I was on 20 30 40 50 50 steroids and 60 dose. For about 7 months, as I kept having pimples (small but pimples). I had regular blood and pregnancy test each month. The steroids kicked the medicine in the butt and at 60 cleared my face completely. I was on 60 for 2 months and I knew I had no acne at all. I wanted to give up, after 5 months when I was on 50. I would have no pimples all month but when on my periods. I finished on 60. No acne then and no acne 3 months later."

Theaora October 15, 2014

For Acne "Best decision of my life! My acne since I've had in fourth grade is gone, and I feel so much happier. My confidence has increased massively and I am no longer depressed. The medicine did make me drowsy, ill-tempered, dry skin, and horrendous break outs. But, overall this medicine has worked wonders for me and is completely worth it!"

Allysuhn October 7, 2014

For Acne "This medication is the only thing that has removed acne from my face and back. The side effects are horrible, but bearable. The side effects that I experienced during my treatment were: throbbing dry lips, itchy skin, dry eyes, blood in nose, severe joint pains, lethargy, darkening of face(temporary) and headaches. My dosage was from month 1 to 6: 40mg, 60mg, 70mg, 70mg, 80mg, 80mg. (Body weight 88kgs). If you suffer from cystic acne I would definitely recommend this medication. It really works and although the side effects are severe, they are temporary! Really worth it in the end"

Anonymous August 25, 2014

For Acne "I had mild-severe scarring acne since I was 8 years old (I had premature puberty) and my mom took me to many dermatologists who prescribed many different medications. Nothing worked. Of course I was a little kid and wasn't following the instructions thoroughly. Then at the age of 16 I went on Accutane for 7 months. I remember that it took a while to see some improvement but on the 6th to 7th month it got extremely better. Of course I had a lot of problems with my dry lips. My hands were also very sensitive to cold (they still are). I stayed clear for about 17 years. I only had 2-3 zits once a month during menstruation. Since a year acne has started coming back. Not that bad though. The red marks are the worse. I might go on Accutane again."

grrio (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2014

For Acne "Amazing! I understand when people say they tried everything. I didn't have severe acne but persistent and regular plus it didn't help that I was a real squeezer and probably made whole situation worse. And I already get anxious about social situations so the skin problem added to that! I was able to go on a low dose, 20mg which I was scared wouldn't be enough but this stuff is strong! Can't complain about the dry skin as how else is it going to work? The whole idea is to make you less oily. Lips were very dry and gross at the start and whole layers were peeling off but that isn't so bad now. Have been through about 10 lip balms already! But that's it really. Sometimes feel a little tired but that could also not be Accutane."

Lissyloo2 August 8, 2014

For Acne "I've been through taking this for 3 months now and I noticed improvements on my acne. I still have occasional breakout and I hope this would totally be clear after 6 months."

Selle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2014

For Acne "I've been on this medication for just over 2 months now, taking 40mg a day. When I started on a low dose, the first 3 weeks I experienced severe dry skin, lips, and especially my nose and under my eyes even. The first 5 weeks my skin broke out worse. And from the beginning I started getting severe back pain. Now in week 9, my skin has settled down and is a tiny bit better, but all my blackheads have disappeared. My skin is still drier than usual, but it's actually improved, and my lips are fine as long as I apply vaseline 2-3 times a day. The only significant side effect I still have is my back and bone/joint pain. So far I'm very happy with what I've achieved (the blackheads) and expect things to keep improving."

belx July 31, 2014

For Acne "I had severe cystic acne covering my entire body for over 2 years. I tried antibiotics, creams and pills, and none of them worked. Finally after a year on antibiotics with no results my doctor referred me to a dermatologist who prescribed Accutane. I took it for six months and now my acne is completely gone. I have been off of it for two months now and no acne whatsoever has returned. I am hoping it never does! The side effects for Accutane were difficult (especially the dry lips - I had chapstick with me 24/7 and went crazy if I couldn't apply it about once an hour at least) but the end result was worth it in my opinion."

Cherno (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2014

For Acne "I am 20 years old and have been suffering with acne since I was 14. I tried EVERY topical lotions, antibiotics, and face washes you can think of and nothing worked on my stubborn skin. I was terrified of going on Accutane because of some bad reviews I read about it. After talking with my dermatologist, I decided to give Accutane a shot. Best decision of my life!! I am currently almost done with my third month and my skin feels so smooth and looks amazing. I have so much more confidence in myself and can go out without worrying about my skin looking horrible. The only side effects I have gotten so far are dry skin and very dry lips (I carry Chapstick with me 24/7!). Other than that, all I can say is Accutane is truly a miracle."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne "After trying over 8 prescription medications for my acne (both creams and oral pills), I finally decided to try Accutane. Despite all the negative aspects about Accutane that I read online, I am so happy I gave it a try. After the first month, my blackheads were gone and my bigger pimples weren't so inflamed and swollen. My face used to always be red and oily and after only one month, my face is not at all red or oily. I think a lot of people refrain from taking it because of the reviews they read online, but there are possible side effects for every medicine. My advice: give Accutane a shot. If it works to your benefit, I promise you that you will be extremely happy with the results."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2014

For Acne "I used it over a year ago. All I really have to say is that it changed my life, truthfully. I'm 25 years also and I had gotten bad cyst on my jawline and almost everywhere really. Nothing worked, so finally I tried it. All the crap you hear about dry skin and lips, doesn't come close to how good you feel while your skin gets better. I only did a 6 month trial and it's been over a year since I stopped and I haven't had one cyst, pimple or anything since. Same goes for my back, I had very mild acne there and that has stopped as well. So if anybody is worried to take it, don't be. It really works, and it's so worth it."

nursesasha June 9, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne "I was on isotretinoin for 7 months at the age of 15-16.. I had moderate acne and it worked within 5 months and completely cleared my face up... I've now been off the treatment for 6 months and my acnes slowly creeping back. My skin looks oily again. It's good but it doesn't cure it, more like masks it for a short period of time."

Parker19977281 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2014

For Acne "This is the best treatment for acne! I'm 23 and still had acne, though I had it primarily on my back and arms. I would never take my shirt off in public an%u010F was extremely self conscious about it. I'm 4 months into the treatment and I have NO new pimples (marks still there). I just hope the acne doesn't come back after the treatment. Side effects are manageable, I've had dry lips, eyes and nose bleeds throughout the day but the advantages of the treatment outweigh the side effects by miles!"

mufc20 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2014

For Acne "I think I read every single review and watched every single youtube video on Accutane before I finally decided to start taking it. Every time I looked in the mirror I hated myself because of the way that I looked. I was embarrassed to be seen by anyone and I wore tonnes of foundation to try and cover my acne, which probably made it even worse but having acne made me crazy insecure about myself. Taking Accutane was the best decision of my life. I feel like a different person and not only has it made my skin 100 times better but I am far more confident too. My lips got quite dry but apart from that everything was great. My only regret with taking Accutane was that I didn't start taking it earlier. It is genuinely a miracle!"

Lilo123 June 4, 2014

For Acne "I was hesitant to try Accutane because of it's dangerous side effects. However, as a 17 year old I had been suffering from severe acne since I was 11 years old. Accutane is not a medicine that I would recommend taking if you don't absolutely need to. Prior to starting it, I tried everything you could name- virtually anything they sold in chemists and countless topicals and oral medications, all with little to no effect. Looking back on it, I wish I would have started Accutane sooner. I cannot stress what amazing results I got after finishing my 7 months on the medicine. It did cause the expected dryness of lips, eyes, nose, etc. However, the results of the medicine completely outweigh it's side effects."

kaitlynhardin May 13, 2014