User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Melanoma, Metastatic 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Accutane reviews 231 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Accutane

Review by Ej1234: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: My acne was severe before Accutane. I was at the point where I wouldn't leave the house, I had no social life, it was so horrendous it was emotionally awful and physically painful too, I felt suicidal it was that bad I felt like a monster, tried so many ways to get rid of my acne from the age of 13, nothing worked. It just got worse, turned cystic and then when I turned 21 I decided to take the plunge and go for Accutane, not joking the first 2 months were hell and I felt like giving up, but I carried it on and yeah the side effects like dry skin and lips were bad and I was moody but all I regret is not taking it sooner, my skin is perfect now and glows. I look like a different person, I'd advise this 100%.

September 9, 2013 6:07 PM
Review by Kirstyfaye (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: DON'T BE PUT OFF BY A BAD REVIEW! I took Accutane when I was 18, I held off taking it for a while as of all of the reviews. Me and my friend were both on it, she suffered with the dry skin and nose bleeds but its no where near as bad as it sounds. I never even noticed her dry skin and if you're good and slap moisturizer on you'll be fine! I threatened about the dry skin and I tell you I didn't have one side effect I just remember loving life! No more make up sliding off my face due to oiliness either. The side effects depend on your dose I was on 30mg but my friend was on 80mg and had side effects. You can take a lower dose but you'll be on the treatment for longer as you're given a certain amount depending on your weight.

September 8, 2013 6:04 PM
Review by kaylazomglions45 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I had acne since 6th grade! I started treating it while I was in 9th grade. I have gone to three different dermatologists and tried everything. Starting with the face wash, then gel, than a paste, then Yaz then both, then up the dosage...nothing worked. Finally I got a referral to see a dermatologist to get Accutane. The first three months no big difference. Its about my 4th or 5th month and I have no pimples. I started out with 40mg 1xday then upped the dosage to 40mg every other day i.e. 80mg every other day. Best thing I've ever done.

August 23, 2013 2:16 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I had acne towards the end of middle school going into high school and by my sophomore year it was really a full blown problem. My cheeks and my forehead and almost every part of my face was covered in acne. After trying antibiotics and creams for 2 years I was recommended Accutane. The first 4 months I did not see that much in results but when the 5th month hit it was intense. My face cleared up right away and I look like a completely different person! It was amazing. There were downsides though, the depression that it causes is real. I have been off the medication now for 3 1/2 years with my skin still looking great.

August 11, 2013 5:56 PM
Review by Alexis Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: This is now my fourth month on Accutane. I had moderate acne on my T-zone (chin, upper lip, nose and forehead). But I had terrible acne on my back, chest, shoulders and upper arms. It was so embarrassing, I was so worried about what shirts I could wear that I could wear my hair up. Shirts that were to short on my arms or v-necks. I hated it and its so bad on your self esteem. I tried everything, topical creams, face washes and antibiotics. NOTHING WORKED. I visited my dermatologist and he prescribed me Accutane. At first I was very skeptical with all the pregnancy tests, blood tests and the whole I pledge system. After three weeks my face was so clear, my back, chest and shoulders were so clear except for some scarring.

August 8, 2013 4:12 PM
Review by k3m (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: After about 7 years of struggling with severe, sometimes even deeply cystic acne on my face and shoulders, my dermatologist finally convinced me to try Accutane. I had been on at least 10 different topical and oral medications beforehand and nothing helped at all until I went on a 6 month Accutane regimen. It gets a little worse before it gets better, but I'm on my last month now and I'm 100% CLEAR! It's so wonderful! However the medicine is really drying, especially on your lips and eyes (plus I wear contacts). You need to apply lip balm almost constantly but it's worth it in the end! Also my arms dried out and were red and flaky for a few weeks, but a drugstore lotion cleared that up quickly. I would highly recommend Accutane to anyone!

July 31, 2013 10:28 PM
Review by Emily2597: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I've been on Accutane for almost 4 months now. My skin is getting better everyday and I'm really happy with the physical results. However, Accutane began to give me depression during the first week and it has stuck with me since. Although the side effect has not gotten worse (and won't, I've asked my dermatologist). It's definitely not good and I've read that it won't go away until a few months after I have finished my course. NOTE: I had already suffered depression before beginning the course & it is hereditary in my family.

July 30, 2013 7:46 AM
Review by Damn (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I had severe acne, rosacea and had tried tetracycline antibiotics, Duac, Differin and Dianette to get rid of it with no results- it was that bad I had stopped going out! Referred to dermatologist and prescribed isotretinoin at 40mg per day. Within 7 days my face had cleared completely. This is like a miracle. My skin is still slightly red from the rosacea but nothing I can't cover with concealer. Side effects so far are blurred vision, muscle pains and dry skin and lips- been through 4 tubs of Carmex in the four weeks I've been on Accutane. Using cetaphil moisturiser and E45 emollient cleanser. Cannot recommend this enough- side effects are annoying but well worth it in the short term in my opinion. Wish I'd insisted on this 4 years ago.

July 27, 2013 10:38 AM
Review by mwah:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: My face was bad and was on it for 6 months. Face was clear over time but bad side effects; depression, nose bleeds, mood swings, dry lips eyes face but worked. Now my acne is coming back thinking of going on a higher dosage.

July 25, 2013 12:11 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: Yes it did clear my acne once I was on it. I had cystic acne around my chin and forehead, and some acne on my cheeks. But I would say no less than a year later, it started coming back. Granted it was not as bad as before, but I was extremely surprised to see acne come back so soon. Now about 3 years later it is TERRIBLE. I am getting cystic acne again and a new pimple is popping up pretty much everyday around my chin. I really don't want to have to go on another treatment of Accutane. I had already been on 2 six month treatments in a row.

July 25, 2013 1:23 AM
Review by Brash34: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: Accutane worked great for me. When I quit smoking and started working out at the gym, I broke out on my cheeks and my back. Took Accutane for 4 months (80mg daily) and had dry lips, dry eyes, dry face (moisturizer daily), very red and sensitive skin and peeling hands. Made it through with a little bit of suffering and I must say my face is 100% clear and it had been 2 months without it so far and my back is about 80% better. Might consider another short treatment in the winter to try and combat my back a little more but so far very satisfied with my results. I know I was worried sick and contemplated taking it for weeks after reading reviews and then finally took the plunge. Don't regret it for a second. Million times happier.

July 15, 2013 10:03 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: Accutane seriously changed my life. I never really had bad acne on my face just a couple spots and every once in a while break outs but nothing to bad. But my chest and back were terrible. I couldn't go to school without wearing shirts up to my neck. I couldn't even wear a bathing suit around anybody but my really close friends and family. My dermatologist told me to try Acctane. I was really scared at first because I heard it had some bad side effects but i had tried everything. Within the first month my acne on my back and chest were almost none existent. The only down sides is it makes your lips very dry. Carmex was the only thing that worked for me. I highly suggest Accutane. The Pros overcome the Cons by 1000 percent.

July 14, 2013 12:48 AM
Review by Anonymous23: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: After dealing with acne for my entire life I finally took my doctors advice and started Accutane. I was a little skeptical at first because of all the side effects but every other cream/oral medication had failed. The first month I didn't see much of a difference so then he upped my dosage from 20mg to 30mg. The second month I was completely clear and he put me on 40mg the third month my face was terrible it was like I wasn't even taking Accutane but that only lasted like 2 weeks and then I went up to 80mg a day and wow did it work. I am currently on month 7 and my face has never looked better. I don't have to wear any makeup before I go out and I feel 100% confident. The chapped lips are bad but I use Dr. Dans hydrocortisone chapstick.

July 13, 2013 12:01 PM
Review by Truth Seeker (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: Accutane is the best medication on the market in my opinion. Not only am I a pharmacist, but I have taken this medication myself . It WORKS... Before taking Accutane I had the most oily skin. You could literally fry a chicken on my forehead during a hot summer day. By approximately month four my skin had never looked better. Everyone who is struggling with acne should highly consider this medication.

June 29, 2013 12:38 AM
Review by charlottejo0ones (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I started on Accuntane on 2nd March and I'm now coming up to finishing my treatment with only 3 weeks left. I genuinely can't express enough how effective Accutane is. My acne was moderate and rather than lesions, etc. I had lots of small spots all over my chin and forehead and beginning to reach out to my cheeks. I went on Duac then oxytetracycline and enthromycin, none of them worked for me! I saw results from Accutane in the first month! My skin did get dry and my lips chapped and flaked badly but if you keep applying E45 and Burts Bees it will keep the flakiness at bay! Honestly I am thankful to Accutane for my new found confidence and I now happily leave the house with no make-up!

June 20, 2013 11:58 AM
Review by Joceyy: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: Accutane IS awesome! Of course you're going be dry- but you will be clear and stay clear. Stick with it- the side effects are only temporary but clear skin forever is worth it.

June 12, 2013 8:50 PM
Review by brows: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I have moderate acne and its really annoying to be honest. I tried everything from over the counter medicines like Clearasil scrub and wipes, Oxyface wash, tea tree oil, clean and clear and none of improved and to be honest it made it worse. So then I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Duac, Zineryt, tetracycline and Differin. The Duac I was prescribed with 2 years ago and it cleared my acne up for about 20 months but then they come back again, so I went to the dermatologist he prescribed me Accutane 30mgs and 20mgs prednisone after 1 month there were little improvement but then it got really bad. I'm currently on months 3 and its still bad. I've had my dose moved up to 60mgs. I hope it works I finish my course next month.

June 6, 2013 7:49 AM
Review by XxnicollexX: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I had cystic acne on my face, neck, shoulders, and back. I have never been able to wear a tank top, or bathing suit and my hair with no makeup for 7 years. HIGHLY RECOMMEND ACCUTANE! I'm not even done my 120 day course yet and I could almost cry right now, talking about how great I feel now. I think the trick to avoiding all those serious side effects is sticking to a lower dosage. I'm on 30mg a day and it took 3 1/2 months (BE STRONG PEOPLE IT TAKES TIME) and I can officially say I am acne free all over for the first time in 7 years. I wish I could be some sort of motivational speaker for this stuff. If you are thinking about it DO IT! Down side is the dry patches on my arms and cracked lips, the only thing that works is Vaseline. And another upside to it is my hair! It never gets oily!

May 27, 2013 1:25 AM
Review by poohtf: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: Accutane changed my life and I promised myself that I will share my experience with the world if this worked for me and yes it did! After I had my baby and even before, I had chronic cystic acne all over my face. I couldn%u2019t bear to look in the mirror. My face will hurt from just touching it. I had used every thing you could think of until one day, while in my doctor%u2019s office, I read about Accutane. My doctor advised to talk to my dermatologist, which I did and here I am 8 months later with POSITIVE results. Accutane really worked for me. Yes there were side effects but for me it was tolerable. Now I can look people straight in the eye without feeling ashamed of how I look. My gynecologist even commented on how my skin looks. Everyone has been asking what I did because I have this sudden glow. Try ACCUTANE because it works!

May 26, 2013 5:43 AM
Review by katiem6: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: In High School I had beautiful skin and rarely had any breakouts. Then when I was 19 I started breaking out terribly! I literally think I tried every acne medication, gel, antibiotic, tea and pill under the sun. FINALLY I decided to follow my doctors advice and try Accutane. IT WAS A MIRACLE! My only regret is that I wasted so much time being scared of the side effects and didn't start it sooner. I was on it for 5 months. My acne got a TINY bit worse during the 2nd month of Accutane but after that it got better and better! I experienced some crying spells, depression and dry skin but those things truly weren't that bad and you really can't put a price on your self-esteem/clear skin - and that is EXACTLY what Accutane will give you.

May 14, 2013 4:45 PM
Review by ThankGodForAccutane!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I had gone through years, the most depressing and humiliating years because of having such bad acne with unbelievably oily skin, starting when I was in the Fifth grade! By seventh grade, it covered my whole face, chest, back. I'd gone to the dermatologist and had been prescribed everything, from every antibiotic, to every topical solution, a vitamin A drink. Finally, years later I finally found a doctor who gave me Accutane. The Only thing that Cleared this all! I never had any bad reactions at All from it. This medicine saved my life really and my self esteem. Thank God I for it, and the doctor who had prescribed it for me!

May 10, 2013 3:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I didn't mind my acne too much, but it got really annoying when my parents were complaining about it over time. I tried to reduce the amount of acne. I've tried several over the counter products, some worked, some didn't. Sadly, I did have an increased breakout after using Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Then I went to my doctor. First, I've tried Clindoxyl, then Benzoyl peroxide (0.1%/2.5% w/w). Worked fine, but results did not last too long. Then I was on tetracycline for a few months. It worked, for awhile, then I had an increased breakout. Finally, I got on Accutane. I was really reluctant to be on Accutane because of its side effects, especially when my doctor highlighted suicidal thoughts, and decreased night vision. But after four months, I'm currently happy with the results!

May 10, 2013 1:19 PM
Review by Nezo (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: My 20 year old Son has been on Accutane for two months after long struggle with cystic acne. Is on 40mg daily. He had a horrible breakout after taking it for a month that he couldn't attend school for two weeks because of comments at school. His acne was at its worst. Now its two months on it and looks better but not best. He still has breakouts on chin, forehead and around nose but not as before. Old cystic breakouts (big pus filled bumps) are clearing but slowly especially around nose and sides of chin. Side effects are dry lips, face and eyes but is comfortable with Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. He plays soccer almost everyday and not experiencing problems so far.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 10, 2013 10:58 AM
Review by Raj (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: Had bad back and arm acne. Tried all the other pills before going to Accutane. Nothing worked as well as Accutane, best decision of my life.

May 5, 2013 2:24 PM
Review by arickp (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: I've heard so many bad, scary things about Accutane. Eventually, I came to a point where I was questioning all this bad press. What's the worst that could happen? I am glad that I looked past the negativity and gave Accutane a try. I have never felt so "normal" in my life. The acne on my back is finally clearing up. I don't have to spend an hour in the bathroom each day messing with lotions, cleansers, creams, gels, whatever. I'm only a couple weeks into it, but I'm not even getting chapped lips or dryness. Just clear skin. Thank you, Roche!

April 16, 2013 6:24 PM