User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Melanoma, Metastatic 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Accutane reviews 251 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Accutane

Review by verla (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Since the age of 11 I suffered with cystic acne and later in life I had cysts on my face, chest, back and breasts, and inner thighs. Constant blood and drainage of pus was a regular everyday event for me. After being prescribed Accutane my life changed. Nothing had ever worked. I used every soap, cream and antibiotic known to man with no results whatsoever. My acne went away and stayed away. It was like a miracle! Later in life I was put on the generic form and was not pleased at all. It did nothing.

February 23, 2014 1:33 PM

Review by Greatending (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I was 49 when I began taking Accutane for moderate acne. My insurance company only approved 5 months treatment. My dermatologist generally recommends 8 months but I was satisfied with my results at the end of my 5 month course. I had the common side effects of chapped lips and dry itching skin. It's been 4 months post treatment and I'm still clear of bumps. I don't regret my decision.

February 21, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Holls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I've written a review on here a couple times, first when I had first started on Accutane and second when I was on my fourth month. I just finished my last pill last night & I'm hopeful that my face will stay clear. I still have dry lips & dry skin, that will eventually go back to normal but otherwise my skin is completely clear & I'm not scared to wear less makeup, before I would literally look like a cake face. All I have is a lot of left over marks and discoloration but my dermatologist and I have already talked about chemical peels within the next month or two. I know Accutane sounds scary for everyone who hasn't tried it & read some reviews but it's not. Acne was messing with me mentally & I was willing to try anything! Go for it.

February 21, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by sccali (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: When I was 17, I began to develop bad acne. My face (mainly around my mouth) developed cystic pimples. My self esteem dropped and I became depressed and anti-social. I tried all sorts of creams, gels, antibiotics, and spironolactone. Nothing worked permanently. I finally decided to try Accutane. I AM SO GLAD I DID! I experienced zero side effects and within 2 months my skin was completely clear. Every month my skin became clearer. A year and a half after finishing Accutane my skin is still clear. My self esteem is 10000x better than before and I no longer am afraid to look people in the eye or leave the house without pounds of make up on. I was on Accutane for 6 months and experienced zero depression.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Acnefreak (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: I was(was feels so good) suffering havoc of acne from my 8th grade. Continued till my 12th grade, successfully destroyed my whole teen life. I took hundreds of antibiotic, Proactive, facial packs. All failed completely. Acne actually changed my personality, my image and whole life. After visiting many dermatologist, last(yes last) of them prescribed me Accutane. At first I didn't take it very seriously but after 1 month my persistent acne started disappearing. All thanks to acne, it puts a full stop to acne problem. I'm still recovering from all psychological disaster played by acne in my life.. But today I m completely acne free and confident that it will never come back. ONE Last advice, don't think and just go for it!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 7:18 PM

Review by ACCUTANE IS A CURE:

For Acne: I developed acne at about 11 years old. It wasnt bad, but it got worse. At about 12-13 years old, it hit hard and got really bad. I tried everything you could possibly think of. You say it, I've tried it. But nothing at all worked. I tried things as little as home remedies to expensive dermatologist cleansers that cost over $100 a bottle. Still, nothing worked. For a while I nearly gave up hope, I was so insecure about my skin I wouldn't even dare to leave the house, let alone my room, without makeup on. I found makeup was like my security blanket in a way. I discovered Accutane and let me tell you, it is THE best thing I have ever tried. My acne is gone and I'm 15 now. I couldn't be more happier. I believe Accutane is a cure.

December 26, 2013 7:13 AM

Review by Sabuuuuuu (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I've tried so many different things like topical and antibiotics, I'm so glad I caught my acne early! I'm only on month 3 and my face is almost cleared up! ACCUTANE IS TRULY A MIRACLE PILL! I also barely have any side effects, weirdly enough my lips are not dry and chapped.

December 21, 2013 1:23 AM

Review by Alliekay123:

For Acne: At the age of 30, I still dealt with breakouts. After trying all sorts of over the counter products that just hurt me I went to the doctor. We took the steps of prescription washes and antibiotics. Still had breakouts. So decided to try Accutane. I'm currently starting my 5th month, and I haven't had a breakout or a single pimple in over 3 months. My side effects were dry peeling lips ( nothing Carmex can't fix), dry eyes, very sensitive skin (though working in a hospital doesn't help) so far I am so satisfied with this medicine. Yes, it is a hassle to get but worth it.

December 21, 2013 12:41 AM

Review by renee22235775 u 76tt:

For Acne: I have probably been off of Accutane for a good six months or so now and I have to say it is a life changer and definitely worth your time and money! As a girl it was tough and frustrating having to get pregnancy test, blood work, and all of the appointments every month along with the online portion but it is SO worth it! I went to my doctor for a year struggling with acne before he put me on this medicine. I was upset he didn't do it sooner! Yes there may be some side effects, the only side effects I encountered were dry lips, dry face, and very sensitive skin. I have a fair skin tone as it is, so during the summer I could barely walk outside without needing to use sun screen. But I recommend this product to anyone in need of it!

December 18, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Holls:

For Acne: I wrote a review here a few months ago when I was starting my third week on Accutane. And now I am starting my 4th month and its going great. I had mentioned a bunch of side effects before and now the only side effect is chapped lips and dry skin. My face actually feels like a face now and I can actually feel my skin instead of a million dry bumps. I did breakout only on my forehead at the beginning but it only lasted about 2-3 weeks, then I would get a pimple every now and then but now I don't even get pimples anymore. I cant even imagine how much more flawless my face can get. I hope it affects everyone else in a positive way too.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2013 4:55 PM

Review by Mike...:

For Acne: This is a miracle for clearing acne. I had a bumpy road but in the end it was great. Started on 20mg then bumped it up to 30mg then 40mg but the 40mg was too high and formed cysts and then he bumped me back to 20mg then worked me back up to 30mg. I was on it for 2 years but it does mess you up psychologically well me personally although I have also had a couple concussions because of sports so that could be the factor, who knows? Sometimes randomly I'll get depressed but it usually only lasts like 1 night, its weird but I do recommend this.

December 17, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by sar.xo:

For Acne: Accutane has changed my life! I suffered from acne from the age of 14, and now I am almost 19. I started Accutane 5 months ago, and I have one month left on it. The first month on Accutane my acne started to clear up slightly. The 2nd, 3rd, and beginning of the 4th month are the most frustrating times on this medicine. My skin started to break out a lot, and I saw no improvement. I am now on my 5th month of Accutane and my skin is perfectly clear. I have no break outs, and my skin is so smooth. I never thought I would have perfect skin, but thanks to Accutane I do. The only side effects I experienced was dry lips, so I always carry a lip moisturizer on me! I am so thankful for this medicine.

December 9, 2013 3:28 PM

Review by Aavishkar Patel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: Acne: Cleared up completely in 6 months and no acne for 6 more months. After that breakouts started again. Side effects: Mood- swings (Mild) Hair Loss (Very Severe)

December 1, 2013 2:00 PM

Review by bobba123:

For Acne: I took accutane for 1 year, and my skin became completely clear. However, after being off for 1 year now, i've noticed my pimples are coming back again, but at the same time, they're not half as bad before I took accutane. I would definitely recommend accutane to anyone who is suffering extreme acne on their face, because there are a lot of side effects, like dry lips, skin, eyes and mouth. If you notice your pimples are coming back after Accutane, I would recommend tropical creams to take away small pimples, or off the shelf products like Clinique.

November 11, 2013 4:19 PM

Review by Corporal Saenz USMC (taken for 10 years or more):

For Acne: 1995-1996 I was in 40mg is Accutane while stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I was a Go getter soldier, but being on light duty 24/7 due to sun exposure I suddenly became depressed. I carried my depression out to civilian world when I left. Depression developed anxiety. My facial sweating was and still is profusive.. I'm 38 yrs old the oldest grandchild of 54 grand kids and the only one without a child of my own, I blame Accutane. I'm have 10% service connected tinnitus from use. And I just found out last month that I have glaucoma stemmed from the Occular opacities from use of Accutane. Been bloated ever since I left service in 1997, we are 2013. I esophagitis been scoped 21 times also colonoscopy at age 27

November 10, 2013 5:14 AM

Review by MaeveNicole:

For Acne: I had heard that so many people had success with accutane, and I especially saw the success my cousin had with it, so I was really excited. The first month I took it all the skin peeled off on my lips, and face, and I had to stop wearing contacts because it dried my eyes so bad and it made my acne the worst it's ever been. I felt awful about myself. I constantly tried to fix my hair so that it would cover my face and do anything to avoid going out in public. I looked awful. Accutane did this to me until the last month I was on it and then my face was semi clear, but once I stopped it my acne came back the same. 1 month of decent skin!? :'( Only thing that helps me control acne is SULFER *Pomada de Azufre* bought at Walgreens.

October 27, 2013 12:34 PM

Review by Liz1224:

For Acne: I was on accutane for six months and I couldn't believe how clear my skin got just in two weeks. I never had the begining breakout. Over the months almost all of my acne was gone. I used to have over a hundred bumps on my forehead and big puffy ones on my cheeks. I am now done the treatment and still have blackheads and scars on my cheeks and I'm disappointed they didn't go away because it was such an expensive hassle to go each month for appointments and blood work and making sure you pick it up in the time frame. The side effects were severe chapped lips, nose bleeds, and depression. That was the worst but I went through it and it all goes away.

October 24, 2013 8:23 AM

Review by Rosacea success:

For Rosacea: I took Accutane about 10 years ago, it was a pain to go to the lab every month so I could get my prescription but it was worth it. My skin was so bumpy and inflammed that at some points my eyes would be swollen shut from the massive bumps on my cheeks. I only took Accutane for about 3 months and I have been mostly clear since. I have only had about 2 large rosacea related cysts since and they were 1/4 the size and didn't have the pain that just made you want to cry. I'm still on other medications as it didn't completely clear up my rosacea acne but it was 80% better and I couldn't be happier that I no longer suffer from the pain of the cysts.

October 15, 2013 7:17 AM

Review by Emmmmmmmaleeeeeee:

For Acne: Changed my life. Had terrible acne all through middle school and most tretinoin creams and tetracycline medication did nothing. Although hearing from my dermatologist all of the side effects, etc., it was all worth it. My self confidence and happiness with myself has been all worth it!

September 12, 2013 10:26 PM

Review by Shaz of Brampton (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I highly recommend this treatment. I had my second child at 33yrs & for the next two years spent too much money fighting the worst breakouts I'd ever had in my life. I was at the point where I would not go out because I hated the acne marks. My doctor told me I was a good candidate for Accutane & after consulting friends who had taken it in their teen years I decided to take the treatment. No Regrets! It is not an easy process. Treatment was for 6 months. My skin and lips peeled after the first month up to the 5th and they were very sensitive to the sun. It felt raw. My joints were very tight when I woke up in the morning (like arthritis). But Worth every Discomfort. Treatment ended Oct 2011 and have been Breakout Free for the last 2 years.

September 10, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Ej1234:

For Acne: My acne was severe before Accutane. I was at the point where I wouldn't leave the house, I had no social life, it was so horrendous it was emotionally awful and physically painful too, I felt suicidal it was that bad I felt like a monster, tried so many ways to get rid of my acne from the age of 13, nothing worked. It just got worse, turned cystic and then when I turned 21 I decided to take the plunge and go for Accutane, not joking the first 2 months were hell and I felt like giving up, but I carried it on and yeah the side effects like dry skin and lips were bad and I was moody but all I regret is not taking it sooner, my skin is perfect now and glows. I look like a different person, I'd advise this 100%.

September 9, 2013 6:07 PM

Review by Kirstyfaye (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: DON'T BE PUT OFF BY A BAD REVIEW! I took Accutane when I was 18, I held off taking it for a while as of all of the reviews. Me and my friend were both on it, she suffered with the dry skin and nose bleeds but its no where near as bad as it sounds. I never even noticed her dry skin and if you're good and slap moisturizer on you'll be fine! I threatened about the dry skin and I tell you I didn't have one side effect I just remember loving life! No more make up sliding off my face due to oiliness either. The side effects depend on your dose I was on 30mg but my friend was on 80mg and had side effects. You can take a lower dose but you'll be on the treatment for longer as you're given a certain amount depending on your weight.

September 8, 2013 6:04 PM

Review by kaylazomglions45 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I had acne since 6th grade! I started treating it while I was in 9th grade. I have gone to three different dermatologists and tried everything. Starting with the face wash, then gel, than a paste, then Yaz then both, then up the dosage...nothing worked. Finally I got a referral to see a dermatologist to get Accutane. The first three months no big difference. Its about my 4th or 5th month and I have no pimples. I started out with 40mg 1xday then upped the dosage to 40mg every other day i.e. 80mg every other day. Best thing I've ever done.

August 23, 2013 2:16 AM

For Acne: I had acne towards the end of middle school going into high school and by my sophomore year it was really a full blown problem. My cheeks and my forehead and almost every part of my face was covered in acne. After trying antibiotics and creams for 2 years I was recommended Accutane. The first 4 months I did not see that much in results but when the 5th month hit it was intense. My face cleared up right away and I look like a completely different person! It was amazing. There were downsides though, the depression that it causes is real. I have been off the medication now for 3 1/2 years with my skin still looking great.

August 11, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by Alexis Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: This is now my fourth month on Accutane. I had moderate acne on my T-zone (chin, upper lip, nose and forehead). But I had terrible acne on my back, chest, shoulders and upper arms. It was so embarrassing, I was so worried about what shirts I could wear that I could wear my hair up. Shirts that were to short on my arms or v-necks. I hated it and its so bad on your self esteem. I tried everything, topical creams, face washes and antibiotics. NOTHING WORKED. I visited my dermatologist and he prescribed me Accutane. At first I was very skeptical with all the pregnancy tests, blood tests and the whole I pledge system. After three weeks my face was so clear, my back, chest and shoulders were so clear except for some scarring.

August 8, 2013 4:12 PM