User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Melanoma, Metastatic 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pityriasis rubra pilaris 0 reviews 67 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 415 reviews 9.5

Reviews for Isotretinoin

For Acne: "I was on a 16 week course with 30mg/day the first month & then 50mg/day the remainder of the time. At first it got a lot better, then it got a lot worse - which is to be expected. It took so long as to the 14th week to really see a big change and now I've just finished the full 16 weeks and my skin is better than ever. There are still some spots that need to be healed but other than that I'm amazed. My doctor explained to me that the medication keeps working in your body for 8 weeks after you've stopped taking the pills & when you're on them some people's skin is so sensitive it's like glass & therefore for some people the pills really work its wonders after you've stopped them. So DON'T give up. Also, Aquaphor is lifesaver for dry lips."

Ebba13 June 25, 2015

For Acne: "Since 11 years old I have had mild acne that would flare up pretty bad at times - mainly around my mouth, chin and forehead with break outs on chest and back. Now aged 26 I have been on accutane for nearly two months now.(30mg for 1st month and then 60mg for the 2nd) After the first month my acne had pretty much cleared and now after the 2nd my skin is looking great. The side effects have been minimal, I have had dry lips and I haven't been able to go to the gym as much. Apart from that I have been good all round! I take the medication with an oily fish lunch and glass of milk everyday - which I think helps reduce the side effects. I would highly recommend, this is the first time I have had clear skin in around 15 years!!"

sarahslc (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I would most definitely reccomend Accutane! the stuff is brilliant!!! i am 18 and have experienced bad skin for almost 2 years, i was constantly paranoid and unhappy and now i wake up instantly in a good mood, the side effects can be quite painful as i had very dry lips and dry patches all over my arms but they are only temporary and defo worth it!"

Anonymous June 9, 2015

For Acne: "I always had good skin growing up, but began developing cystic acne when I was 20. My doctor gave me an 80mg Solodyn prescription, and I took the medicine for 6 months. The Solodyn worked a bit, but my acne continued to mark my face. I had a lowered confidence and didn't even like looking at myself in the mirror. Then, I started taking 2 x 40mg Accutane a day for 6 months. Months 1-2 really didn't show any change. However, by the end of month four, I was almost completely eradicated of my acne. By the end of Month 6, my skin was completely clear. I have now been off the medicine for a month and haven't felt so good about myself since the acne began a year and a half ago. If you are considering Accutane, do it. Benefits outweigh side effects."

MDJAKDCN (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

For Acne: "I have suffered with acne on my back and chest area for around 14 years. I have been on numerous antibiotics, including trimethoprim (which I had an allergic reaction to). I was on the pill from aged 17-27. Now I am 28 and still suffering severe cystic 'backny'. After many tablets, ointments, creams, solutions and treatments, my dermatologist decided to start me on 20mg per day. I will be on 20mg for one month, at which point, I will increase to 40mg every other day. Results: I have been on isotretinoin for 10 days. I saw positive results after two days. My chest is clear of all spots. There is one cyst on the mend. My back is showing signs of clearing but very slowly. So far, I am happy. I will post again in a month or so. :)"

SabrinaO June 6, 2015

For Acne: "Before starting the medicine I used to suffer severe acne that literally was a source of anxiety and depression for me. I've finished it now and I am more than satisfied with the results, my face is cleared up and I feel better anyway, I swear this medicine is a miracle my face was covered up with acne everywhere but now I am thankful and I advice everybody who greatly suffer acne with this medicine, deny the side effects, because the outcome is worth it. A MIRACLE"

Nouuuuuu (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2015

For Acne: "Accutane truly changed my life. Prior to Accutane, I had been dealing with cystic acne for the past five years. The acne was all over my face, but was mainly present on my chin and cheek area. The pimples were deep and painful, and left scars regardless of whether I picked at them or not. My acne was present year round; however, it worsened tremendously during the winter months. I was prescribed Isotrentinion 25mg twice a day in the middle of November. ($10 monthly!!!) I saw results within the first month of taking it! It was truly amazing. My skin was extremely dry for the first 2-3 months, but nothing too insane. Other than dryness, I did not experience any other drastic side effects from Accutane. No muscle pain, no mood changes."

Banaan May 20, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am in my 5th month with this medicine and my face is flawless and I love it-but it did come at a cost. My side effects are bad - I have horrible joint pain, temper/anger issues, dry skin on my nose, chapped lips constantly and patches of dry skin all over my body... The pain in my body is my biggest complaint- somedays I can barely move, my feet and my back hurt the most with the 80mg dosage and my ability to control my temper pretty much goes out the window...but I know I'm almost done, so I don't want to change a thing. But overall, my face cleared up on my 4th month and that's all I wanted. I'm so happy on how clear it is- but I will be even happier to not be in so much pain."

Lady10101 May 18, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was on accutane treatment for 3 months, and finally after 2 years experience trying, depression of humiliation , disappointment and despair , it finally worked out.. My skin is flawless. I'm over the moon. My friends , they noticed it and it was kinda funny cause nobody ever talk about my acne to me. Sadly, it only last for 4 months before my cystic acne come out again which was worse than before. I want to start on accutane again but I was too afraid of the side effects. Then , I found out about COD liver oil. It is basically a natural source of Vitamin A and D unlike in accutane. Now, after 1 months , my cystic acne finally cleared up! Now there's only scars. I'm telling you guys , this stuff is miracle. You should really consider it"

stargirl1994 May 8, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "If anyone were to ask me what's the best way to get rid of acne, I would say accutane. Granted every person/ skin type is different so results vary for every individual, but accutane has been a wonder drug for me. From age 12-18 I had struggled with acne and had been prescribed many ointments, creams, and different brands of "the pill", I purchased off the counter brands, performed home remedies, and nothing had work. If you have had many failed attempts of curing your acne, I highly suggest to go to your dermatologist and personally ask to be put on accutane. I promise it will make you want to enjoy and embrace life instead of constantly knowing the patterns on floors and never knowing the colors of your classmates eyes."

Hulers (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "The side-effects suck. I would get a bloody nose at least 5 times a day, my lips would peel and get blisters, and my arms would get rashes. But it was all worth it. Accutane is amazing. I am so thankful for it. I had acne for 6 years and I tried everything you could imagine to try and clear my face up. Now after 4 long months, I am just now taking my last pill. I go to the mirror and I don't see a pimple, scar, or even a red mark on my face. my self-esteem has improved so much. I would definitely recommend it."

Randy J (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I started getting spots when I was about 12 and it was pretty bad acne by around 15. I went on the pill and probably every type of antibiotic which each worked but only for a limited time. At 23 I realised the only thing left was accutane. NHS was slow so I went private (1 appointment - £120) and the dermatologist prescribed me 4 months of 40 mg/day (I only weigh around 100 pounds). Best thing I ever did. Only side effects I noticed were dry lips - I recommend aquaphor - and dry inside of my nose. 100% worth it and my skin is amazing and spot free now! I've just come off the medication so fingers crossed it lasts a long time. Very happy, I definitely recommend."

BbBianca April 25, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "On my third month of using Accutane I must say it definitely works but the lower back & side pain is getting out of hand it's depressing because I've dealt with acne most of my life & have used everything under the sun ,but the one thing that works I can't use ...I highly recommend it but be careful with the side affects"

bumpy Johnson April 20, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "If you have acne, Accutane is the holy grail. I had mild-moderate acne in high school. I took it for six weeks. It sucked my skin dry as a bone, but after that, my skin looked pristine. With the exception of an occasional stray pimple, I have not had a breakout in 15 years. There is no point in trying anything else."

l-jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Yesterday, my dental hygienist asked me how I got my skin so clear. I almost cried because no one has ever complimented me on my skin before. My skin was the source of a great deal of unhappiness, anxiety, and stress in my life prior to Accutane. Thank you, Accutane, for giving me back my confidence and life. As for side effects: very minimal. No changes in mood. Biggest pain in the butt was iPledge and monthly tests. I'm a very busy person, so finding the time to run out of work in the middle of the day was difficult. But so worth it. Don't focus on all the negative stories!! I wish I would have ignored the naysayers and gone on this drug years ago! Good luck :)"

Smiley2345 April 8, 2015

For Acne: "I was a 36 year old who had been suffering with acne since age 14. I tried every medication you could imagine and was told I would outgrow it. I can honestly say I was thinking of suicide when I begged my Dr to try accutane and told him my feelings. It was the beginning of my new life, and now 10 yrs later I do STILL get a pimple once in awhile. I now have "old age" acne I'm told. I would tell anyone out there , don't go through yrs of agony when the answer is right there!"

Adult Acne April 8, 2015

For Acne: "When I started accutane 5 months ago, I knew everything about it from blogs, reviews, forums, etc. However, nothing prepared me for my initial breakout. It was wretched and I basically looked like complete rubbish for 2 months. Despite this, I knew the effectiveness of accutane and was willing to take the bad breakout, drying skin and everything else that came with it. During accutane, my skin had ups and downs but now, by the fifth month, I have NO active acne. There is some discoloration from my initial breakout and that will probably take months to go away but I seriously cannot complain. If any of you are struggling with a severe initial breakout on accutane. STICK WITH IT and HANG IN THERE. It'll get better if you let it."

luisag7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

Amnesteem (isotretinoin) for Acne: "We are disappointed. My 14 year old son has taken 40 mg 1x/day for 18 days and his skin is worse than ever. He seems more moody than normal and his lips are super chapped (I feel like the chapped-lip police with my chapstick in hand). We really hoped for results of any kind with his cystic acne. We are going to try a higher dose after he gets the blood test in a week or so. He is discouraged. The cost of the higher dosage is almost prohibitive. Our insurance doesn't cover meds because we have a high deductible but we feel that clearing up his acne is important for his self esteem. It seems criminal to charge so much for meds."

TSli April 6, 2015

Amnesteem (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am now in my 10th week on Amnesteem & my face is smoother than a baby's bottom! I feel great. Super dry all over but it's worth it!!!"

Feeling more confident (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2015

For Acne: "I have struggled with acne since I was about 10 years old (currently 21 years old) I have seen my dermatologist for several years and have been on every medication you could think of before being prescribed isotretinoin. The major side effects worried me before taking it, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I was on the medication for about 5 months. It worked wonders and the only side effect I experienced was extreme dry skin and eyes. My face remained clear for only about 3 months after I was off the medicine. I knew it was too good to be true. I currently have been battling some acne that I had before isotretinoin. I visited my doctor this past week and he put me on an antibiotic. If this doesn't improve he will be putting me back on."

D.Dennis March 31, 2015

For Acne: "I went on roaccutane at the young age of 15. I'm now coming up 24. I can only remember the peeling hands and face at that age. But two weeks in im noticing the changes fast. My face is peeling and very sensitive. My depression (I'm a sufferer anyway) has got severely worse. My advice for anyone wanting these tablets is, you can do as much research as you can, but it's different every time for every person. Yet the end result is always immaculate. 6 months of dry skin and low moods doesn't compare to the life time of spending hours trying to cover your acne. Consider the side effects but don't forget the results. I'll keep you all posted on how my journey gets on"

Nomorespots (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've been on accutane 3 months now. I've had persistent acne since I was in middle school and nothing has worked besides this. Right now I'll get occasional acne but it's clear for the most part. My whole body has gotten dry because of it and is often very uncomfortable. But the worst side effect are these mood swings and depression accutane has caused me. It has really effected my relationship and I cannot help it. I'm on 40 mg but it was worse when I was on 60. Even though this is a difficult side effect, I am amazed at how clear my face is so far."

Kmc01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "It is incredible. It really makes a difference to your skin. Yes it gets worse before it gets better, but once you get past the painful stage of breakouts, all you see week by week is improvement! I highly recommend it to those with severe acne. Before you know it, your skin will be perfect!"

Ashxox March 10, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am 17 years old. Since I was 10 years old I have had mild acne. I used to cry to my mom before school at least two times a week because of my acne. I would stay home on weekends instead of going out with my friends because I was ashamed of my skin. I tried every pill and cream out there. Literally. Right now I am on my last month of accutane. It is still clearing up a bit but it is almost all the way clear. My skin was very dry in the beginning but then I started taking vitamin E and I got a dehumidifier for next to my bed which both helped a lot. My lips also got very chapped and dry but I put aquaphor on to help it. My mouth was more dry than usual but nothing severe. It changed my life and I'm so happy that I started taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2015

For Acne: "I've had severe acne for 8 years and have tried lots of doctoring. Been on prescribed pills that help only while I take them. I'm on my forth month of Accutane and I have almost NO cysts forming.. only scars healing! Definitely worth the extreme dry side effects I've been having."

definitely worth it! March 4, 2015