User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Acne 491 reviews 518 medications

8.6
Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 498 reviews 9.4

Reviews for Isotretinoin

For Acne: "So I have cystic acne. I don't break out alot bUT any pimple I do get scars on my face and does not go away. I had tried almost everything from prescription creams neostrata proactive to minocycline amd doxycycline but none of it did anything and I had terrible reaction to alot of the creams and pills I had been prescribed accutane years ago and read all the side effecst and threw it in the garbage but after talking to a couple doctors and trying almost everything I could think of I decided I would give it a shot. I had tried everything else and the reviews were pretty promising. The first 10 days I had the chapped lips that never stopped and my skin was inflamed to the point it looked like I had a sunburn. The fact that I work in a potash plant didn't help matters. Was like have salt thrown on your wounds and having to wear a respirator was unbearable. Fortunately I had holidays for the next 10 days and being away from work made it easier. My job is very physical so already I wasn't sure this would work. I noticed I started to get a bit depressed which I knew was a side effect but grew increasingly more concerned when I read it can potentially be a permanent side effect even after discontinued use. 3 weeks in I started to get chest pain and it was bad it would come and go and that bothered the hell out of me the first time I didn't worry about it but then it happened again and much worse. I became very concerned for my heart and stopped taking the pills all together. At that point I was only 3 weeks in and was just hoping I would be ok. After stopping I still had chest pain a few days off and on. Then the other pains started with my back and my feet. At this point I was at work and it was killing me. Especially my feet. They hurt so bad I wouldn't leave the couch when I got home after work and I would just hurt to the point of tears. Painkillers did nothing for me which was highly unusual. I started to do some research about the foot pain and some of the reviews I came across scared the hell out of me. People that had taken accutane only a short few weeks like myself and been in pain constantly ever since. Others who had taken it and could no longer work or do anything. This became terrifying for me as I had not considered that 3 weeks of accutane could possibly cause me horrid pain the rest of my life. With all the pain and fear I also became increasingly depressed. I spent a lot of time hating on myself and the reviews I read on they were equally terrifying. I was so scared that this was the worst thing I had ever done to myself. Did I mention you absolutely should never drink on accutane. I was on holidays and had one drink and instantly regretted it. Was in bed the rest of the night After a month of all this since I had stopped the pills the pain finally went away and I have never been so grateful. I hoped everyday that the constant pain would not be a permanent thing and fortunately I got very likely. Also would like to add that none of my acne cleared up not that I was surprised. But I now no longer care. That was the stupidity thing I ever did in thinking that I would not be affected by the horrible side effects of accutane. No one thinks it will happen to them but obviously it happens to some people or they wouldn't be listed as side effects and these bad reviews wouldn't exist. To those of you still suffering I hope that your pains go away. I got Lucky and for that I am thankful If you are thinking about taking it I wish you the best of luck. I only lasted 3 weeks and even then if I could go back and not take them I so would."

kriiiiista (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Back in 2008 I took Accutane it cleared my acne but gradually it came back. Now 2016 I'm on another round. I tried everything for Clinique, proactive, to essential oils nothing works like accutane."

"2 old 4 this" (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I'm on my last week of accutane and have been taking it for 5 months. All of my acne has cleared up except for one or two pimples but I still have acne scars left. My only side effect symptoms at first included dry lips, dry eyes, back pain, and blurry vision, but now I'm experiencing mood swings and depression. It is not severe but I have noticed that I've been acting different for no real reason. I honestly can't wait to get off the drug just to return to my normal self and feel like I have more control over my emotions. Overall, I think the side effects are worth it for the results that I've gotten from accutane, but I am worried that after I'm done taking it that my acne will return."

Amanda dote February 5, 2016

For Acne: "I would like to highly recommend this drug to prevent acne. Third quarter of last year (2015), I started to get so many pimples. It was like one or two in the beginning then it worsened. I met a doctor and he advised me to use Isotorin 20mg. Along with that, he prescribed me to use lip care as taking this tablet will lead into dry lips. Doctor said clearly that this medicine will work very slowly and yes; he is right. First one month, I didn't find any improvement. But after that I was able to see the tremendous improvement. After using it for 10 weeks and my skin is ACNE FREE. Don't lose hope in the first month. Keep taking it for several weeks (10 to 12) and your skin will become acne free."

Lingesh (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

For Acne: "Best decision I ever made! I'd suffered from really terrible acne for years and tried every single thing possible to try and clear it up, I'd heard of isotretinoin, and thought of it as a last resort due to all the scary side effects I'd read about, which put me off for some time, but at last I decided to try it, and I wish I'd tried it sooner! I went on the treatment over the holidays because I've heard the first couple of months are the toughest, and I could go days without having to wear makeup. I found that I got very dry lips,skin, some aches, a few nose bleeds and the occasional mood swing within the first month, and yes my acne did get worse for the first 2 months, and its not easy but then I hit the 3rd month and it completely cleared!"

bestdecisionever! February 1, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am now 55 years old. I started developing acne when I was 14 . It became so severe that my parents took me to a dermatologist. This was back in the 1970s when all that was available were antibiotics and infrared light treatment. It worked on and off, but after several years my body built up a resistance to the antibiotics and the severe acne returned. I was prescribed accutane when I was 29. My acne cleared up in 3 days! I had some mild side effects: dry skin, dry lips (which continue to this day). But my skin is crystal clear and has been for almost 30 years!!! I highly recommend this wonderful medication. I don't know what my life would have been like without it,"

Clear skin girl January 24, 2016

For Acne: "I have been taking this medicine for one n half months. I have seen a lot of side effects as others do like short temper, extremely dry lips chest pain, joint pain n irregular sleep, apart from that it does work on acne. When I started taking this drug my skin was bumped with pimples n blackheads all over my face. Till now most of them are gone but they left deep scars n redness on my cheeks ."

sumra (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG! I am a 21 year old female and I started taking accutane when I was 18 years old. I had suffered from severe acne since I hit puberty. I stayed on Accutane for 7 months. Side effects while on the drug included: Severe dry skin (could not dry myself with a towel or my skin would peel off, had to pat dry), the first couple months my hands were red and it looked like I had scales like a fish, I had dry lips, headaches, and mood swings. Three months after getting off, I was walking in a hall and my hip popped. I am now recovering from my 3rd hip surgery. The doctors have no idea what caused my hip issues being that I have had NO health problems. EVER. If I could go back no amount of clear skin is worth all this pain."

ihatethisdrug January 18, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I just started my Accutane today. My biggest concern right now is that he prescribed me with 10mg a day. Which I think is a very low dosage considering my cystic acne and the inflammation I showed to him. And also I saw some other people got 40mg to kick start their accutane. I'm wondering if anyone here had any experience with this low dosage of accutane before? Will it be effective?"

Mr White (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Acne: "I'm not kidding when I say that accutane saved my life. In high school I got the occasional pimple, but it was never anything serious. But, when I turned about 22-23 I started breaking out everywhere. I tried every over the counter medicine and nothing worked. When I started accutane the first 3-4 months were rough, but month 5 hit and my skin cleared dramatically. I was supposed to be on the medicine for 6 months, but because I was leaving the country I missed my last appointment and could only take it for 5 months. I%u2019ve been off of acctuane now for about 5 months and I never break out anymore! I seriously used to wake up with so many pimples and now, never. I never thought I%u2019d be able to say that!"

Claireeeeeeeee January 17, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've had cystic acne for 15 years and was finally prescribed isotretinoin at the age of 27. I went to a private dermatologist who prescribed the medication, then I switched to the NHS. I'm currently on month 5 out of 6 and acne free at 70mg per day. It was month 4 when I became free of acne, so it does take a while to fully kick in. Side effects - severe eczema on my hands, very dry eyes and lips. My only regret is I didn't get on this medication 10 years ago, which would have prevented scarring and emotional issues. I am SO ANGRY with the NHS for refusing me this medication back in 2007."

tastybrain January 17, 2016

For Acne: "I'm coming in to my 2nd month on isotretinoin and all I am seeing is my skin peeling, acne getting worse and dry lips and eyes. I feel like the new worsening acne will leave worse scars then what I would of originally had when my acne cleared up but my dad had bad acne even through his 30s (I'm 22) so I'm afraid that my acne wouldn't clear up any time soon. I'm hoping I start seeing some results soon or else my last resort has failed."

Folz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Amazing. I've suffered from acne since I was about 11, tried every spot cream , every face wash, and all antibiotics the doctor gave me. Finally at 18 I was prescribed accutane and have been on 40mg a day for 6 months. I finish my course in half a month and I do not have any spots on my face. I do however have hyper pigmentation on my cheeks where my acne was worst but I'm hoping this will fade. Dry lips are a nightmare and occasional back pain but honestly I owe my life to this drug. I hope my acne does not return and that I do not suffer from any more pigmentation. It's so worth while, I'm sad I didn't go on it earlier."

Kyna (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was on acutane (claravis) the first 2 months my acne actually got worse but after that my face started clearing up. The reason I'm not giving this a full 10 is because I had more negative effects than I did good. Granted, my acne did go away but only for it to come back 2 months after I was done. I didn't experience a dry face which is a very common side effect but I did get horribly dry lips. My hair would fall out in CLUMPS through out the day. I gained 20 pounds while on this medication made my heart get irregular palpitations and I also experienced shortness of breath. My cholesterol levels were also all wacked out.Horrible joint pain! All of this for my acne to end up coming back.Think twice before putting your body though This"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

For Acne: "A. Dermatologist told me that my diet doesn't effect my epidermis B. Only tried giving me tetracycline, not even minocycline or doxycycline. C. when I was15 and a half and I have to sign some paper about side effects including major depression, suicidal ideation, psychosis, and early epiphyseal bone closure. My father majored in psychology but also signs the form for me to take the drug. D. Now I'm 18 and my acne is fairly bad again, stupidly decide to take another 6 month cycle. E. I am now only about an inch taller & wear the same shoe size compared to when I finished the first cycle of isotretinoin, and have experienced major depression, suicical ideation & attempts, manic episodes & psychotic episodes. F. I wish I had never taken this drug"

seiji (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 11, 2016

For Acne: "I have been taking isotrention for 2.5 months and I have got almost completely clear!! The main side effects I have felt with were joint pain mostly in the middle back and sometimes neck and hands but nothing ibuprofen couldn't help!". I live in a cold climate and haven't really experience an insane dryness all over just mild in certain areas the ears being the most surprising! I love this product it has worked a miracle. If you are hesitating - don't! Get on this - it will change your life!! The only reason I gave this is a 9 is I still have a few small scars so I think I will have to use something else for that anyway good luck to all!! :)"

Marishka (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am extremely satisfied with this medication. I took it for 5 months, and at my peak I was prescribed 40mg twice a day. It took about 3.5 months to start noticing results. I have now been off it for 3 weeks and wow! My skin is 100% clear. I've had acne since I was a teen and after failing other options such as antibiotics, I was placed on Claravis. You will have chapped lips. I had to apply aquaphor (really good chapstick) every 15 minutes. Other side effects I had were nosebleeds, dry skin, eczema, rashes on my hands and arms, very sore muscles, sore chest, and any scrapes I got took absolutely forever to heal. I felt sluggish, sort of like I had the flu for 5 months. However, having clear skin was definitely worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I had painful and extreme cystic acne in isolated areas on both sides of my chin when I was in college. I underwent accurate treatment at 23 right when Accutane was approved by the FDA. I took the treatment for 3 months and the side effects were very dry lips, sometimes splitting. It totally eliminated my acne and my self confidence, social life, and career soared. I tried everything before this treatment and nothing worked and was extremely happy with the results. At about age 35, my acne cysts reappeared, although not as severe. I underwent another 90 day treatment and haven't had any reoccurrence since."

OnThe50 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

For Acne: "I had no significant problems with the Isotretinoin. My extremely oily skin prevented the medicine from drying out my face, however my lips did become extremely chapped. I suffered none of the harsh side effects, but I did do my part by staying out of the sun. The only problem I had was near the end of the five months. When winter hit, my eczema flared up and I have not been able to get it back to normal. My feet also became very dry and cracked, which is not normal for me. Considering those are the only side effects I have suffered, I am very pleased with the results. My oily skin is not nearly as bad as it was and I have not had a pimple show up in the two months I have been off of the medicine."

NEP December 22, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I just finished my second month of 20mg/daily accutane. I am starting 30mg/daily this month. I have had 3 episodes of severe cystic acne throughout my life and acne always. I am 37 and I can't remember a time when I didn't have pimples on my face. As I got older my acne moved to my chin and jawline, chest and back. My acne began to clear right away on accutane. Just going on to my third month and I am chest, back, and face are smoother than I've ever felt. I do have mildly chapped lips and I changed my cleanser to Cerave for normal to dry skin. I use a moisturizer day and night and sometimes even coconut oil on my face. My doctor wanted to get me up to 40mg daily but I requested to be more conservative and he was agreeable."

Lucky#7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I have been on the drug about 7 weeks and have had no real change in my acne just real dry chapped lips and dry skin but spots are still here, how long til it changes and they start to go away?"

Bates85620484 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

For Acne: "If your looking for one review to influence your decision read this one. I am 24 years old. I have struggled with acne sence I was 12, it has taken quite a toll on myself esteem. Too many times I heard from family and friends "just take you the way you are" and live with it. I wouldn't have it, I told myself I would find a way to enjoy the quality of life I want! I tried all the topical treatments your could think of and even more questionable methods. Nothing really worked. I then decided to go a prescription route and to try isotretinoin. It has cured me. After a year I AM COMPLETELY CURED!!! Though it has risks if you serious about change make the decision. Sometimes i look in the mirror and cry knowing I persevered and reaped my rewards"

jarred December 10, 2015

Zenatane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I have been on Zenatane for about 9 months! It has taken me a lot longer to see results than most people/stories I've heard but it saved my face. I had cystic acne break outs mostly on my cheeks. Nothing would make them go away. After starting Zenatane it wasn't an 'over night' clear up miracle. It took months. After 4 months with no results I was ready to give up but than after 5-6 months- the cysts just stopped. It was sudden and surprising. My skin continues to 'turn over' and looks better and better every week. I also changed my diet which I believed helped as well. In Feb 2016 will be a full year I've been on accutane (Zenatane) and I am ready to be done but it has been worth it."

Bunnycat159951 December 8, 2015

For Acne: "I hope my review can help someone that's considering trying Accutane.... Im a 24 year old white female, I've had acne on my face/shoulders ever since I can remember. A typical breakout for me would consist of about 10-15 pimples and blackheads on my nose and chin area. I've tried everything from antibiotics to creams/face washes. Nothing has ever helped me. When I turned 18 I decided I had enough with the acne game and decided to see a dermatologist. I was put me on spironolactone 100mg once a day. I took spironolactone for a few years and yes, it did help a lot. My face was finally clearing up and I was happy with the results. Fast forward 6 years and my acne slowly started coming back. I was getting breakouts on my cheeks/forehead and my blackheads were still present (mind you they never cleared up on spironolactone). A friend of mine started Accutane and saw amazing results pretty quick. I never thought I could get on Accutane because they say "Accutane is used to treat severe nodular acne". And while I had what I considered severe acne...I never thought it was "that bad". But I decided to go back to my dermatologist and ask about it. My Dr. was extremely supportive and agreed that I was a good fit for Accutane since prior remedies were proven no longer affective. I've now been on the drug three months and I just can't express how happy I am with it! Within a month my blackheads were gone!! That right there was amazing to me. My face is no longer oily and my "breakouts" are down to about 3 pimples (which will eventually become zero!). I haven't experienced any weird side effects. I started using moisturizer on my face DAY ONE. I think that was very important because I've never had any bad dry patches on my face. My daily facial routine consists of: CeraVe Renewing SA Lotion: applied to my face as soon as I get out of the shower in the morning (face still wet) or after washing my face at night. Works very well under my make up. I wash my face with Dove bar soap morning and night. For my lips I use Lanolin cream. WORKS WONDERS. Can be purchased at Target, grocery stores, Walgreens... As a conclusion, I'm extremely satisfied thus far with Accutane. My Dr. is recommending that I take the drug for a total of 6 months. I would be happy to answer any questions some of you may have! Just try it !"

Maggiemac139205 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

For Acne: "I am only in the middle of my second month taking isotretinoin but I have seen amazing results already! My first month I noticed I didn't have bad breakouts anymore and my skin was starting to heal. Since my dosage as doubled in my second month I can defiantly notice more side effects dry skin, nose bleeds/ scabbing, sore muscles/joints and dry/ red eyes but it is nothing too unbearable. I am just super happy I have found something that has worked! I am a moderate case of acne and I have almost gotten clear before even two months!"

*Mari* (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015