User Reviews for Irbesartan

Also known as: Avapro

Learn more about Irbesartan.

Diabetic Kidney Disease 1 reviews 13 medications

High Blood Pressure 32 reviews 261 medications

5.7
Summary of Irbesartan reviews 33 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Irbesartan

Review by Med Tech53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Controls blood pressure great, but having side effects like, constipation, gout, leg cramps, sleepiness, and general fatigue.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by Turbo t:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Feeling tired, dizzy, disoriented, off balance, leg pain, feel in a fog, headaches.

June 21, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by jane99999:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Extremely tired and sleepy all the time. Low energy. Even after sleep still tired.

May 19, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by Marbee (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Recently had to up my dose, and had to take at bedtime because of dizziness. I noticed I was not feeling well, and thought I was fighting off some bug, but it continued. I noticed that the nausea and headache occurred after taking my nighttime dose of Avapro. When I quit taking it, I felt fine.

April 24, 2014 1:38 AM

Review by bogdancimpoae (taken for less than 1 month):

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: It's good.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2014 7:01 AM

Review by Codmother (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For : I have been on Irbesartan for 8 years and usually have no problems apart from the usual lightheadedness when getting up, I developed a cough 5 years ago which initially got me worried but now it comes and goes. It gets worse on the change of environments - cold-warm and vice versa or when I come in contact with dust, pollen or some perfumes. I get fed up with it but it keeps my Lupus at bay so am happy to put up with it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 11:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I am a 33year old who has experienced high blood pressure ever since starting work after graduating from University. I also have a Thyroid condition and always just assumed this was the entire cause of my tingling in the hands & feet and constant issues with tiredness. The tingling sensation predates the Avapro, but the ongoing issue with tiredness could also be attributed to the Avapro. I have been on Avapro for the last ten years. I am off of Avapro now as my blood pressure is now normal.

July 12, 2012 4:20 AM

Review by Scatrock:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have taken Avapro 300mg for over seven years for BP 140/98. Since I began my annual physical exams consistently show BP 170/110. Like many other reviews I initially found that Avapro 300mg, taken first thing in the morning, made me feel very tired and sleepy. As a policeman, I considered it dangerous to be on the job in this condition. The solution was to take it at night, just before bedtime, when I want to be sleepy. By morning I wake up feeling great. By the end of my stressful day I think my BP may be a little higher (understandably) but by then I am home to relax. I have, at times, within an hour of taking the dose, had "blind staggers" after I stand up quickly or dozed off without realizing I had, but no other side effects.

June 13, 2012 9:22 AM

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Took 150mg a day for several years. I lived with the dizziness when getting up or kneeling down. Also adversely affected my urination habits. Hard to go, weak stream etc. The doctor switched me to Benicar 20mg. Works better on lowering blood pressure, NO dizziness at all, and peeing is back to normal. Benicar is a MUCH MUCH better blood pressure medicine for me.

May 30, 2012 8:28 PM

Review by olyd:

For High Blood Pressure: I started using Ibersatan about 2 years ago, after I developed severe side effects on Perindopril. My blood pressure is well controlled and I thought the medicine was okay. About 2 months ago, I went for holidays and missed out on treatment for a month%u2019s but I felt much stronger contrary to the expected. On resuming treatment, I became very ill. I have been experiencing, hot flushes, cramps in my thighs, night mares, severe hot flushes and extreme weakness. At first I thought it was malaria, but the tests were all negative. I took anti-malarial medication just to be on the safe side. The symptoms have just intensified. I also wondered (still are) for a while whether it is early menopause. I have had several gout attacks while taking irbesartan.

October 18, 2011 9:07 AM

Review by Cumulative:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I was switched to Avapro from Micardis, two or three years ago, because of cumulative side effects from the latter, including recurring bronchitis and mineral imbalance. Apparently cumulative side effects have occurred again. I have now developed something like a chronic sinus infection, one doctor said my tonsils have grown back and are infected, and have suffered with recurring infections in the tear duct of my eye. I have noticed other changes too, though I'm not sure how many of these may be related to the medication, thus the "5" rating: I have gradually become an unmotivated and disinterested person, a great change for me. I hope the next hypertensive medication will have less side effects.

October 14, 2011 12:41 PM

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Controlled blood pressure just fine. But the dizziness upon getting up was pretty bad. Had to urinate many times a day and during the night as well.

August 15, 2011 2:49 PM

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking 75mg/day of Avapro for 2 months. It has been effective at lowering my blood pressure to 130/80 in the morning and 120/70 in the evening. The only side effect I have noticed is some mild, occasional heart burn. I had been on Atacand for several years before; I had to stop it because of dizziness. Then I was given Lisinopril; it made me cough and destroyed all sexual interest. I much prefer Avapro, it is more effective than the others and has milder side effects - for me.

May 22, 2011 11:02 PM

Review by Rankin:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: At 61, was initially on 150mg Avapro for about 5 years and blood pressure was up and down - decided to do more exercise and also started breaking the Avapro in half and found my blood pressure was excellent in the range of 128/83. Also the headaches and neck cracking diminished considerably. I think that sometimes less is more so to speak. You reduce the stress of the side effects and blood pressure lowers with a less dose.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2011 8:17 PM

Review by Karokat:

Avapro (irbesartan) for Diabetic Kidney Disease: I've been taking Avapro to prevent diabetic kidney disease, as I only have half of one kidney left after two bouts of kidney cancer. So far, so good. The Avapro has lowered my blood pressure also - sometimes goes a little too low, which is when I feel tired. Other than that I have no noticeable side effects. However, my doctor will have to find some other medication to protect my remaining partial kidney because my insurance company won't pay for Avapro anymore - even though my doctor says nothing else works as well.

January 24, 2011 5:03 PM

For High Blood Pressure: The best medicine on the market for high blood pressure.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2010 11:06 AM

Review by youhouse:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been on Avapro for 5 months now at 300mg a day. I have had no side effects. But my blood pressure has now started to rise. The last two times it was at 177 over 128 and then 170 over 120. I now get very light headed when I stand up due to the high blood pressure. I don't think it is good for me. Overall it worked for a while, but is no loner working for me.

July 14, 2010 9:45 AM

Review by steve in PA:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been on Avapro 150mgs for about 8 years and I love it. My blood pressure is always good and usually 110/72 so it works. I was on calcium channel blockers before and they did not control my hypertension. From day 1 Avapro worked with no side effects. I have recommended to others who had problems and when their Doctor switched them to Avapro, and their blood pressure is now controlled. I love this.

June 14, 2010 5:23 PM

Review by Markymark82:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been on Avapro about a week and do not really have any noticeable side effects. Beta blockers are much worse for making you tired. Avapro seems to have helped my blood pressure a little but not as much as my beta blockers. The only thing I noticed is a dry cough by I am not sure if that is the Avapro or allergies. I take 100 mg of CO-Q10 once a day and that has helped with the side effects of the beta blockers and it may be helping me not see side effects of Avapro, for anyone who feels fatigue and takes blood pressure medication, try CO-Q10, its got low risk for side effects and tends to helps to bring back energy level that are partially caused by depleted CO-Q10 when you take blood pressure medication.

June 10, 2010 8:26 PM

Review by SmithCC:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: This medicine gave me heartburn and stomach upset. I couldn't eat anything that didn't cause my stomach to be painful - let alone anything mildly spicy. My doctor had to change my medicine.

May 25, 2010 12:39 PM

Review by 2blazy:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Avapro for more years than I care to remember. It did not do the trick in lowering my blood pressure alone so a diuretic was added to the mix. I get so tired I can hardly stand to stay awake. I am so lazy, I don't feel like doing anything and I don't even care. I started researching and found this site, perhaps this tiredness is from Avapro. I will talk to my doctor.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2010 6:05 PM

Review by Toni M:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I've been taking 150mg samples for almost 2 weeks. The medication (Avapro) increased my tiredness levels which are quite high with the Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's day-to-day. Normal anxiety is heightened also and is almost unbearable in its severity. I am experiencing no lessening in my BP readings. I plan to discuss this medication with my PCP during my scheduled follow-up visit. It's quite expensive, too.

March 9, 2010 3:16 PM

Review by husker:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Avapro for at least 2 years and I'm noticing muscle weakness, tiredness, dizziness and overall feeling of laziness. It seemed so subtle that it just kind happened and I believe it is the Avapro. I also get swelling of joints, wrist knees and ankles. Also several cases of painful gout. My blood pressure is about 135/85. I'm going to go off Avapro for a week and see if all these painful symptoms go away. I only take 75mg a day. I would never recommend this medicine. I play tennis 2 times a week but the pain seems to be too much.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2010 5:07 PM

Review by judiedlv:

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: After 1.5 years of taking 150 mg of Avapro to control my blood pressure, I realized that what started out as fatigue developed into my becoming almost non-functional shortly after taking it....feeling totally exhausted, sleepy, and poor balance issues. Didn't control pressure well either.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2009 8:46 AM

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Avapro for 5 years and I don't like it so am looking for another drug. My GP thinks if the side effects are bearable don't change anything. I don't like the dizziness, cold feet, dry throat and tiredness it produces. It has also depleted my potassium levels and I wonder if the arrhythmias I have been having are related to prolonged use.

November 30, 2009 1:24 AM