User Reviews for Avonex

7.7
Summary of Avonex reviews 24 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Avonex

Review by Sweetcorn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was initially terrified about the injections, but from my first onwards they have proved to be no trial at all. The delivery method is amazing. I never thought I'd say this, but I even look forward to them, knowing that I'm doing something to help myself. I now truly believe that Avonex is helping. My symptoms have lessened since starting it only three months ago. I hope things continue this way and also hope everyone out there with Multiple Sclerosis finds a similarly effective treatment.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2014 4:18 AM

Review by Nury (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been on Avonex for about 5 years and have had no relapses. Have had Multiple Sclerosis for 14 years. Great to have 1 injection a week rather than 3 with Rebif, which I was on before or Copaxone everyday. The only drawback is the headache & tiredness felt the day after. These symptoms have not improved at all for 5 years. Starting having spasm attacks at night recently so might change to another medicine. Very effective medicine though, never had any relapses and that's the most important thing!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 6:55 AM

Review by Cilna:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I had my first shot yesterday at 15:00 and had body pain and shivers at 19:00, but no side effects at all this morning. I've been diagnosed in 2007 and dreaded interferon side effects and now, to my great surprise none whatsoever! In South Africa Avonex give great support, they have Avonex MS nurses who assist with the first 3 shots so no worries on the injection either. Overall I am elated this morning!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 2:34 AM

Review by Franfletch13 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I HAVE FOUND THE INPUT YOU GUYS HAVE GIVEN TO BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL! I was diagnosed Dec of 2012. I have been on this medicine for about 10 months. I have had symptoms for years before seeing a neurologist. Aside from the side effects that everyone has mentioned, I have been doing great! Now 24, I am in the free medication program, which is a blessing! Hopefully it works as well for me as it had for all of you that has shared. Stay strong in your journey!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Avonexveteran (taken for 10 years or more):

For Multiple Sclerosis: Avonex has been a God send to me. I was diagnosed in 95 after experiencing several bad attacks one of which required hospitalization. Started Avonex in June 96 one month after it came to market. Got some side effects early on (mainly fatigue) but they soon went away. I no longer have any side effects, don't even premedicate. The injections are little more than a minor inconvenience . More importantly I have remained stable with no attacks. I did experience some fatigue when starting to use the the prefilled syringe. I quickly went back to original powdered form and remain on it to this day. I probably could have adjusted to the prefilled syringe but choose not do do so. I expect to continue with the Avonex injections unless it stops working, I develop bad side effects, or a cure is found. All unlikely scenarios at this point. I expect to be on it for life.

April 17, 2013 3:12 PM

Review by joesal6 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was on it for 18 months. It was like taking a shot of the flu every week. The side effects never got better. After massive amounts of research, I finally went to supplements, healthy eating, mindfulness, taking toxins out of my daily life, exercise and of course prayer. I still live with my MS symptoms, but, I will work out at the gym, I will ride my bike 100 miles this week and continue working productively. Don't ever give up!

December 21, 2012 12:28 PM

Review by Eugene Orygun (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I started Avonex about 6 months after diagnosis. I got terribly sick after injecting. It was like coming down with the flu once a week. I felt feverish and painfully achy. I took naproxen and that helped. Later on I asked my neurologist for Vicodin to help out with the achy pain. Together the medicines helped the side effects. I never miss a week and as I injected more and more, the side effects have lessened to the point that with Vicodin I can work well on my injection days. I cannot sleep thru the night on an injection. I sleep poorly and wake up in pain several times. I have not had a relapse in five years on Avonex though my balance and leg have slowly worsened somewhat. I still work my feet full time.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2012 11:29 PM

For Multiple Sclerosis: The flu like symptoms are horrible. I was told to take Tylenol night time before I took the shot. I did and it seems to help with the effects of the shot.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2012 9:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was responsible for my insurance deductible, but the insurance covered the rest. This once a week medication is very convenient, and I would recommend it. After the first few injections I had the chills and flu like symptoms, and the symptoms decreased as time went on. After the initial few issues, I injected weekly without symptoms.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2012 12:12 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been taking Avonex for close to 16 years and my biggest fear in the world is losing access to it. I started on Betaseron but had to stop because of injection site reactions and severe flu symptoms. I had been through everything. Complete invalidity, lying in a hospital bed to basically healthy with no noticeable symptoms at all. But since being on the Avonex, I have only very minor exacerbations , less than one per year. In the last 10+ years, I have not missed any work or cancelled any vacations for MS issues. My only problem is the cost.

July 11, 2012 12:49 PM

Review by NC Swim:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I've only been on Avonex for 2 weeks, but I have not experienced any of the bad side effects that others have mentioned. Had just a slight headache the first time, and nothing today. I do take 2 ibuprofen twice on injection day, along with an Aleve and perhaps 2 liters of water. Despite my initial fears, the injection is painless.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 8:03 PM

Review by Poor seed:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 6 years ago. I had/have mild symptoms. I began taking Avonex immediately and have had no significant change in symptoms. I take 1 Aleve an hour before my injection. I chose the last night of my work week so I can't dread "the day." I rotate my injection-left thigh, left hip, right hip, right thigh. I think this will help avoid irritation, though I've never had a problem anyway. My husband gives me my shot so I don't have to look at the needle. I also cough because someone told me you can't tense other muscles during a cough. I relax, and he injects the needle on my second cough. Many times I don't feel a thing. When I do it's minimal. Hip shots are the easiest. I always make sure the Avonex is at room temperature.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2012 6:45 AM

Review by Pammert925:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I recommend Avonex 100%. I have had MS 8 yrs and since have had no new lesions or episodes. The flu-like symptoms were bad for the first 3 or 4 years but have since basically disappeared. Occasionally, I will have headaches the morning after the shot. Hope this helps you in your decision to choose Avonex.

October 26, 2011 5:36 PM

Review by mrsjannie:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I took Avonez for 3 1/2 years. I experienced the flu-like reaction about 70% of the time. I fell frequently and was extremely depressed. I did the injections in late afternoon (Friday) and was down for 24 -48 hours. My recent MRI showed more MS activity. I am now trying a different medication.

October 23, 2011 12:09 AM

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been an MS patient since I was 17, I am 29 now, I have been using Avonex for 10 years now and am so happy with the results. I take it before I go to bed at night on a weekend, I also take a couple of Tylenol with codeine (#1) and usually only have a slight headache when I wake up in the morning. I do get a lot of migraines, but who knows if that has anything to do with the medication or the fact that I have Multiple Sclerosis. Avonex has worked wonders for me, I usually only have an MS attack on average every 3 to 4 years and they aren't usually that severe. I have relapsing and remitting MS. I would recommend Avonex to anyone who is newly diagnosed. It has changed my life.

June 28, 2011 7:37 PM

Review by MaryMichigan:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been on Avonex for 1 month. I chose it due to the injections once a week. I do not even feel the needle or medication go in. I do ice the area well for 3 minutes and make sure the alcohol dries completely before injecting with the smaller needle. Each week the side effects have been easier but they are still quite strong. I do sleep 8 hours after the injection but wake feeling like I did not sleep at all and like I was run over by a truck until about 20 hours after the injection. It has taken 3 days to get my energy back so far. However I do notice that my Multiple Sclerosis symptoms have improved and I have had feeling in my left foot for the first time since my first attack 3 months ago so that makes it worth sticking with for now.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2011 10:51 PM

Review by RodneyPotter:

For Multiple Sclerosis: While the Avonex was extremely effective on the lesions (they became smaller and some actually disappeared!). However, the side effects were severe. It literally took me out for 3 days (totally) it took about 2 more days to do anything above the bare minimum i.e. go to work, come home, eat and sleep, and I had about a day and a half to get everything else done such as grocery shopping and mowing the yard and taking out the garbage. Let alone housekeeping. I finally just switched to Copaxone due to anxiety over injecting the drug with such a large needle and to counteract the side effects of Avonex.

August 7, 2010 2:44 PM

Review by chickadee104:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have had MS for over 25 years now and have been on Avonex for about 2 months. I find the shots to be tolerable (given to me by someone else) and the side effects are not too horrible. About 6 hours after injection I have chills, muscle and joint aches and a slight headache. These effects last for approx. 4 hours. The following day I feel tired but okay. Not sure if it is helping. I HOPE SO..........time will tell. After all is said and done, the shots and the side effects are not so bad.

March 25, 2010 2:00 PM

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have had MS for well over a decade and have been on AVONEX for 2.5 years. I believe this medicine is working well. I have had one small clinical relapse. I make sure to drink plenty of water during the day and take an ibuprofen before my injection. I have had a headache a few times the following morning. This is the only possible side effect I have had.

July 11, 2009 10:41 PM

Review by RPac:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I used Avonex from 1997 - 2002. I did not tolerate it well. Even though I took the injection at night, and an hour after two extra strength Tylenol, I was down and out for 24 hours. I would have stayed on it because it seemed to really minimize the MS symptoms. But an MRI in 2002 showed that the MS was progressing (more plaques on the brain) so the doctor changed me to Beta-Seron. I had two relapses in the last 6 years but in the last 18 months, there has been no change and I am doing well. I tolerate the Beta-Seron well but on two occassions in the past year I had flu like reactions, which I reported.

December 2, 2008 6:35 PM

Review by msgirlie:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have used Avonex for about a month now, to treat my MS. I have a mild case, and symptoms are not too severe. I appreciate the once-a-week injection (hate needles) but am feeling the side effects. I use the Tylenol PM when I take the injections and that does seem to help. We take the injections on Thursday, and I am able to work from home on Fridays. I am very tired, but usually better by Saturday. I definitely recommend this based on the once-a-week injection vs the daily or every-other day injection of the other choices for MS. Good Luck.

November 15, 2008 9:12 AM

Review by GAW:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been using Avonex for 7 1/2 years. I can't help but believe that it is why I'm still up and walking. The injection is only once a week (huge benefit) and the side effects are manageable with Arthritis Strength Tylenol.

August 14, 2008 1:44 PM

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been using it for 7 years and have not had an episode since. I have a very mild case, but my diagnosis was more than 15 years ago, so I was concerned about the secondary progressive symptoms of MS...none to report to date. I have found with the flu like side effects that if I take the shot about 2 hours before bed and sleep for 6 hours without interruption, then I do not suffer from any side effects. The side effects are not as severe as in the beginning, they are just aching joints that are irritating, not "painful"

April 7, 2008 4:23 PM

Review by TheRock:

For Multiple Sclerosis: My wife has taken avonex since 1997. We believe it's helped reduce the severity of her symptoms.

February 16, 2007 6:31 PM