User Reviews for Insulin glargine

Also known as: Lantus, Lantus OptiClik Cartridge, Lantus Solostar

Learn more about Insulin glargine.

Diabetes, Type 2 19 reviews 124 medications

8.5
Diabetes, Type 1 6 reviews 64 medications

8.1
Summary of Insulin glargine reviews 25 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Insulin glargine

Review by Keith Myers:

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: Insulin works fine just have trouble with pen. Always pain and pen jammed once. I use another brand of pen with no problems. Went over how to use video. I thought I was doing something wrong. But was not. Don't know why I get pain from this.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by yieyie17 (taken for 10 years or more):

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: I totally love it! The best medicine that they have ever ever come out with for diabetes type 2!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by yieyie17 (taken for 10 years or more):

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: Excellent!

October 5, 2014 7:52 PM

Review by Almost perfect...needs to last longer. (taken for 10 years or more):

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: I've been taking it for 11 years and it works great. I have to take it twice a day though because (for me) the effects don't last as long as they're meant to.

July 7, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Anabella P:

For Diabetes, Type 1: My daughter is Two year old has been diabetic type 1 since last valentine day. She uses 2 Units at 7:00 AM and 1.5 units at 7:00 PM. Glargine is great but when used in such small quantity it is very difficult to get accurate dosage using pen. The glargine pen does not have half unit dial and it would be really great if the company introduced a pen more suitable for children. For now I have to draw insulin with syringe, which is more work and syringe needles are longer so it hurts more.

December 24, 2013 10:25 AM

Review by SlotCasino:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: Have been using Lantus for 3 weeks. Injecting 15-20 units per day and have not experienced a substantial reduction in glucose readings. Am upping dose to 24 units/day. Also have been taking 2.5g of Metformin with insulin shots. When my glucose goes above 300, I need to take 4mg of Glimepiride to knock it down.

March 12, 2013 2:08 PM

Review by Jim Sparks (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: When I realized I was diabetic I was very ill. My vision went blurry, my tongue was bleeding, sores would form and not heal on my arms, so thirsty, urinating every 15 mins etc. I have Type 2 diabetes and went on to Lantus as soon as the hospital released me. This is the best and safest way to keep your blood sugar levels normal. I have had control of my diabetes for 7 months now and it is so easy. Had to see an endocrinologist today and he tried to put me on Byetta and I told him no way will you change me from my Lantus Solostar as it never makes me feel bad and always makes me feel good and in control. Lantus is really great.

February 27, 2013 6:29 AM

Review by Qimmuhst (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: I have diabetes Type 1 with insulin resistance. Works well. I use 200u/day, 100 AM, 100 PM. It can burn quite a bit when injected, this is because Lantus is fairly acidic with a pH of around 4. When the low pH hits the higher pH of the body, it forms microscopic crystals that are absorbed slowly. This precipitating action that causes the burn as well as makes Lantus a long-acting insulin. It helps me to inject the 100 units in 2-3 sites so less goes in per site. Also be sure to leave the needle in for 15-30 seconds to avoid leakage. I'm a chemist by trade.

December 13, 2012 4:55 AM

Review by Old timer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on Lantus almost since came out, I use 50 units at bedtime and also I use Novolin 70/30 at 25 units at bedtime and 40 units in the morning.

May 14, 2012 2:56 PM

Review by Skytinkle:

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been using the Lantus Solostar for about a month now. The pen is very easy for me to use. At first I had trouble just using one hand, so now after I insert the needle, I hold the pen in my left hand and depress the plunger with my right hand. This gives me more control over the entire process and with no pain.

April 17, 2012 5:57 PM

Review by fullofsugar:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: My doctor prescribed lantus at an increase of two units every three days until my fasting sugars are at 120 or below. After two months my readings still range between 250 and 315. I started at 20 units and am now up to 50. It probably is lowering my blood sugar to some degree, but not significantly. I need something more effective. At this rate I'll be up to 80 units daily or more to reach my goal and will suffer side effects from such a high dose. I feel hungry all the time since using this and I've gained weight.

January 31, 2012 11:47 AM

Review by soxman:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: Used to inject Novolin N twice a day (50 units mornings and at bedtime) and R throughout the day. Much harder to control blood glucose and it allowed me to cheat by eating that cake and increase amounts of injections. I use Lantus now once a day. So much easier. Still trying to adjust amounts (last night blood glucose was 43). Supplement with 5 units of NovoLog before each meal. Insulin spike lasts only one hour.

July 25, 2011 9:07 PM

Review by Realsis 77:

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: Lantus has been amazing for me. I struggled for so long with high blood sugar numbers and Lantus has changed that for me. I actually have normal numbers now! Lantus Solostar is so easy to use and completely painless! Its been incredible. Just one injection lasts all day long. Also Lantus doesn't peak so no low blood sugars here! I recommend Lantus and give it a ten rating. I can't stress enough how amazed I am on how well this product works! I was struggling with my blood sugar being high for so long and nothing seemed to be working! I tried pills, other insulins and still I was high! After taking Lantus my blood sugar level was actually normal! It continues to stay normal now. I was so surprised at first I even double checked my meter!

October 16, 2010 1:12 PM

Review by Altaira:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: Lantus has been a miracle for me. Prior to using it, my blood sugars were completely out of control. My numbers were so high at times, they wouldn't even register. I did everything my doctor told me to with no success. When I was taking R and N insulin, I'd have extreme highs and lows with my blood sugars. There simply was no regulation. Lantus so far has leveled out my blood sugar levels. I take it in conjunction with Humalog. Between the two, most of the spikes I've experiences have stopped. Although with the Humalog, I do have to be careful with hypoglycemic events. The combination of the two insulins is the only thing that's ever helped me. And I've been on everything you can imagine. It looks like I'll finally control my diabetes.

September 26, 2010 2:06 PM

Review by Marmim0946:

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: I've been using this for a month now and it seems to be helping with the blood sugars. However I find the pen hard to use. I have small hands and the pen is to wide for me to grip easily and the plunger even harder to push down to inject. I hate needles so this is ideal way for me but something slimmer and easier to push would help. At 56 iu now it's virtually impossible to avoid pain with the injection.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2010 10:09 PM

Review by william123:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: I like this but it made my head hurt and give me a dry mouth.

December 30, 2009 7:49 PM

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on Lantus for a few years now. I love it, the ease in administration of the Solostar and of the cartridge pen is wonderful. I have never had a problem with it and when using it my sugars remain in good control and I feel wonderful.

September 6, 2009 6:51 PM

Review by jz:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: Insulin works great but water gain is awful.

June 17, 2009 10:59 PM

Review by v_raven:

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: This medicine seemed to work well for a short period of time for a friend as well as myself. Now I find that if I increase my dosage drastically or decrease my dosage drastically (over 20 units) it will help get my blood sugar where I need them, according to my doctor.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2009 3:53 AM

Review by HARDWHITE:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: Seems to work best when I control my eating habits and give my injections at the scheduled times (twice a day).

May 13, 2009 11:13 PM

Review by Crowbar1:

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: The drug is very effective. The only problems I have had are low blood sugar levels while working in hot environments. In Saudi in the spring and summer months I would constantly go low while working in the heat.

May 10, 2009 5:13 AM

Review by AussieRedHead:

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: Lantus SoloStar Pen is easy to use - I get very few "hypos". My levels are more stable. I feel wonderful since using this. I have now been on Lantus for 12 months.

February 24, 2009 6:28 PM

Review by Airric:

For Diabetes, Type 2: The insulin pen with glargine works great. It is so easy to use and convenient. I have high blood pressure as well and it works great with the lisinopril that I take for it. No side effects that I have detected.

November 14, 2008 1:57 PM

Review by Johnny C:

Lantus OptiClik Cartridge (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: The medicine works great. Aside from an occasional burning at the injection site, I have experienced no side effects. The pen makes for a fast and simple delivery system, I love it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2008 4:10 PM

Lantus OptiClik Cartridge (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: works great easy to use and carry

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate