User Reviews for Insulin glargine

Also known as: Lantus, Lantus OptiClik Cartridge, Lantus Solostar, Toujeo, Toujeo Solostar

Learn more about Insulin glargine.

Diabetes, Type 2 26 reviews 127 medications

8.3
Diabetes, Type 1 6 reviews 66 medications

8.1
Summary of Insulin glargine reviews 32 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Insulin glargine

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Cramps in hands fingers legs more, excessive hunger, weight gain 18 lbs. I also use novolog flexpen 3 times a day = 20 / lantus 1 at bedime = 46. Tiredness & weak more so than ever, is constant. Bowel movements constantly different."

Hushlizard (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2015

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was using Levimir for the past 7-8 years. A new endocrinologist suggested Lantus for evening/bedtime use and it was an immediate success."

5DoxMom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been a diabetic for 20 years now. I am on metformin 1000mg two times a day. I have also been on Lantus for the same time. A Doctor can tell you what to take but it may not be right. I was told to take 65 units at bedtime, but if I was sick or did not eat much that day I could bottom out in the AM. What I'm trying to say is you will have to find the right dose for you by checking your blood sugar on a regular basis.If your blood sugar was 350 at bedtime my lantus dose would be 82. I seldom take the same dose every night and I am staying in the good A1C range 22 for a 435 range will not work for me either. It's tough but you must keep a log to see what dose you gave yourself the last time and adjust it from there. Love you guy's."

CASEYCARTER April 23, 2015

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Lantus is great, but am going to try Levemir as their delivery system looks better. Lanus Solostar is fine for strong, large handed people, but if you have arthritis or are older, it is a chore to deliver - its too hard to push and too big to stretch your hand to insure it doesn't slip."

MizB (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2015

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on Lantus for over 3 weeks and I feel I HAVE less control of my sugar levels. I take 22 units at bedtime, and it isnt lowering my levels like it should. Per doctor, I cannot take regular insulin with it as the Lantus is a 24 hr dose. So if my level spikes to sway 435, I can't take a shot of regular insulin to bring it down, I have to ride it out till bedtime when I can take another does of Lantus. I would rather take regular insulin every 6 hrs than do the Lantus, as It gives me more control of the dose I need for my sugar levels."

tlash (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Oral meds did not bring down the A1c nor the fasting blood sugars which stayed in the 140s and kept climbing. . I have now been on Lantus for 6 months, titrated dose every Saturday increasing dose by 4 units per week until my fasting blood sugars are averaging 100, A1c is in normal rang now. Have not had any hypoglycemia bouts which happened with the oral meds. I give this insulin a two thumbs up."

epaul February 25, 2015

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Lantus is my first treatment with insulin. I am presently at 22 units once a day and my numbers are much lower than before when just on metformin and glimepiride. I do not have to use glimeperide now. I do not have the terrible lows as before and my highs are a lot less. I feel better, in general but I have gained some weight."

SnowsMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2014

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Insulin works fine just have trouble with pen. Always pain and pen jammed once. I use another brand of pen with no problems. Went over how to use video. I thought I was doing something wrong. But was not. Don't know why I get pain from this."

Keith Myers October 6, 2014

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I totally love it! The best medicine that they have ever ever come out with for diabetes type 2!"

yieyie17 (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2014

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Excellent!"

yieyie17 (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2014

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "I've been taking it for 11 years and it works great. I have to take it twice a day though because (for me) the effects don't last as long as they're meant to."

Almost perfect...needs to last longer. (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 1: "My daughter is Two year old has been diabetic type 1 since last valentine day. She uses 2 Units at 7:00 AM and 1.5 units at 7:00 PM. Glargine is great but when used in such small quantity it is very difficult to get accurate dosage using pen. The glargine pen does not have half unit dial and it would be really great if the company introduced a pen more suitable for children. For now I have to draw insulin with syringe, which is more work and syringe needles are longer so it hurts more."

Anabella P December 24, 2013

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Have been using Lantus for 3 weeks. Injecting 15-20 units per day and have not experienced a substantial reduction in glucose readings. Am upping dose to 24 units/day. Also have been taking 2.5g of Metformin with insulin shots. When my glucose goes above 300, I need to take 4mg of Glimepiride to knock it down. "

SlotCasino March 12, 2013

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "When I realized I was diabetic I was very ill. My vision went blurry, my tongue was bleeding, sores would form and not heal on my arms, so thirsty, urinating every 15 mins etc. I have Type 2 diabetes and went on to Lantus as soon as the hospital released me. This is the best and safest way to keep your blood sugar levels normal. I have had control of my diabetes for 7 months now and it is so easy. Had to see an endocrinologist today and he tried to put me on Byetta and I told him no way will you change me from my Lantus Solostar as it never makes me feel bad and always makes me feel good and in control. Lantus is really great. "

Jim Sparks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2013

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "I have diabetes Type 1 with insulin resistance. Works well. I use 200u/day, 100 AM, 100 PM. It can burn quite a bit when injected, this is because Lantus is fairly acidic with a pH of around 4. When the low pH hits the higher pH of the body, it forms microscopic crystals that are absorbed slowly. This precipitating action that causes the burn as well as makes Lantus a long-acting insulin. It helps me to inject the 100 units in 2-3 sites so less goes in per site. Also be sure to leave the needle in for 15-30 seconds to avoid leakage. I'm a chemist by trade."

Qimmuhst (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 13, 2012

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on Lantus almost since came out, I use 50 units at bedtime and also I use Novolin 70/30 at 25 units at bedtime and 40 units in the morning."

Old timer (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 14, 2012

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been using the Lantus Solostar for about a month now. The pen is very easy for me to use. At first I had trouble just using one hand, so now after I insert the needle, I hold the pen in my left hand and depress the plunger with my right hand. This gives me more control over the entire process and with no pain."

Skytinkle April 17, 2012

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My doctor prescribed lantus at an increase of two units every three days until my fasting sugars are at 120 or below. After two months my readings still range between 250 and 315. I started at 20 units and am now up to 50. It probably is lowering my blood sugar to some degree, but not significantly. I need something more effective. At this rate I'll be up to 80 units daily or more to reach my goal and will suffer side effects from such a high dose. I feel hungry all the time since using this and I've gained weight. "

fullofsugar January 31, 2012

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Used to inject Novolin N twice a day (50 units mornings and at bedtime) and R throughout the day. Much harder to control blood glucose and it allowed me to cheat by eating that cake and increase amounts of injections. I use Lantus now once a day. So much easier. Still trying to adjust amounts (last night blood glucose was 43). Supplement with 5 units of NovoLog before each meal. Insulin spike lasts only one hour."

soxman July 25, 2011

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Lantus has been amazing for me. I struggled for so long with high blood sugar numbers and Lantus has changed that for me. I actually have normal numbers now! Lantus Solostar is so easy to use and completely painless! Its been incredible. Just one injection lasts all day long. Also Lantus doesn't peak so no low blood sugars here! I recommend Lantus and give it a ten rating. I can't stress enough how amazed I am on how well this product works! I was struggling with my blood sugar being high for so long and nothing seemed to be working! I tried pills, other insulins and still I was high! After taking Lantus my blood sugar level was actually normal! It continues to stay normal now. I was so surprised at first I even double checked my meter!"

Realsis 77 October 16, 2010

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "Lantus has been a miracle for me. Prior to using it, my blood sugars were completely out of control. My numbers were so high at times, they wouldn't even register. I did everything my doctor told me to with no success. When I was taking R and N insulin, I'd have extreme highs and lows with my blood sugars. There simply was no regulation. Lantus so far has leveled out my blood sugar levels. I take it in conjunction with Humalog. Between the two, most of the spikes I've experiences have stopped. Although with the Humalog, I do have to be careful with hypoglycemic events. The combination of the two insulins is the only thing that's ever helped me. And I've been on everything you can imagine. It looks like I'll finally control my diabetes."

Altaira September 26, 2010

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been using this for a month now and it seems to be helping with the blood sugars. However I find the pen hard to use. I have small hands and the pen is to wide for me to grip easily and the plunger even harder to push down to inject. I hate needles so this is ideal way for me but something slimmer and easier to push would help. At 56 iu now it's virtually impossible to avoid pain with the injection."

Marmim0946 July 29, 2010

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "I like this but it made my head hurt and give me a dry mouth."

william123 December 30, 2009

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on Lantus for a few years now. I love it, the ease in administration of the Solostar and of the cartridge pen is wonderful. I have never had a problem with it and when using it my sugars remain in good control and I feel wonderful."

Anonymous September 6, 2009

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "Insulin works great but water gain is awful."

jz June 17, 2009