User Reviews for Remicade

Learn more about Remicade.

Remicade Review Summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 123 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Remicade to treat Ulcerative Colitis

"I could not get the colitis under control for 18 months, finally my doctor prescribed Remicade. Well after the first treatment bleeding stopped and I feel like a normal person again. Only small side effect for me is I feel a bit dizzy just after the treatment"

Aussieboy (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

"I was diagnosed 3 years ago with severe Ulcerative Colitis. Asacol and predisone worked at first, but after each outbreak the medicines seemed less effective. My last attack left me under 100lbs, severely anemic, and in enough pain that I needed to be kept in a continuous Dilaudid-induced daze. So many people have told me how terrible Remicade is and that I just need to, "find the right diet". If diet works for you, great! Remicade was the only thing that worked for me. The cons: It's expensive, but luckily my insurance covers it. It's inconvenient to go to the hospital every 6 weeks. I havn't noticed any side effects except hair loss at first, but now my hair is growing back. I've been told that the hair loss could also have been from all the weight loss."

DaniMac March 10, 2015

"Life-changing. I once thought I was doomed to a life of pain and suffering. Now that I've been on Remicade for 3 years, I feel like a normal human being again. My disease has become a small part of my life and I don't even think about it much anymore. I do seem to be slowly losing response. I had to increase the frequency of infusions and now I sometimes have minor symptoms around the time I am due for my next dose. I was nervous when I started this medicine because of the trips to the hospital for infusions and because my doctor at the time made it sound like a huge deal to be on this. I wish I had started it sooner!"

Tomh219 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2014

"I have been getting Remicade infusions for 4 1/2 years. I went into remission within a week of my first infusion. My only side effects I have are headaches and some chest pain off and on. But considering how my life was before Remicade I can handle it for now."

linkman12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2013

"I had a second relapse of Ulcerative Colitis in 2005. I spent 2 weeks in hospital, been given a fist full of medicines and sent home. Nothing worked. I contemplated having surgery to free me of the disease and wear an ostomy. To my eternal gratitude, my Gastro MD suggested Remicade. After my last colonoscopy in 2013, he said if I had not seen you as sick as you were... your colon looks perfectly healthy. I will accept the side effects (I have experienced none as of yet) to have my life back. Remicade has assistance programs to help those who need it. I am not a spokesman, I do not sell this. But I use and will as long as I can. I wish this medicine was around for my Dad as he suffered with Crohns and Colitis for years."

UC sine 1986 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 12, 2013

"I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about 12 years ago and have been on Remicade for about 2 of those years. I am still taking Asacol and getting the Remicade infusions every 8 weeks, but I feel about 90-95% better since being on Remicade. I have not noticed any real side effects from taking Remicade, but I have heard from other patients that they have had them. I still think that if I had any side effects (with the exception) of major ones, I would stay on it as long as I can. The only thing I honestly can complain about is the cost. I would say if anyone is being told that it is an option for their ulcerative colitis or any of the other issues that are in the same family (IBS, Crohn's, etc) it is a huge help."

MechelleMyBelle29 May 8, 2013

"I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in Nov. They thought they that had it under control, so after being in the hospital for three weeks, I went home for two and almost died! I went back and stayed for over a month. The docs were trying everything with no answers, then they told me about Remicade and said it was for Crohn's disease, but we could try it out and see because it was my last hope. I really was happy to see that it was working and in the first of Jan I went home! I have had a kidney stone because of it, and it has acted up which made docs think it was either my appendix or diverticulitis. I still take it every 8wk through I.V, but the only other problem that I'm experiencing is hair loss now and I don't know if its the Remicade."

momoftwo2316 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2013

"I was diagnosed wit Ulcerative Colitis 3 years ago after being on several different meds for it. My doc and I decided to try Remicade.. it works fine I think but the side effect for me was diarrhea. Plus the cost I just couldn't afford it any longer. I am back on Asacol."

tkgocats March 12, 2013

"Remicade literally gave me my life back 9 yrs ago. I was so ill ; in & out of hospitals, steroids, taking 20+ pills a day & I was still extremely sick. I finally went to Philly (where on my first visit, they were planning my surgery to remove my colon..during that conversation I stopped listening.) My dr. suggested I give Remicade a try - before surgery. At that point, I would have done anything. Honestly I did not believe anything would work since I had this disease for years and could barely function. The Remicade worked like magic - it is liquid gold - I have never had any side effects or adverse reactions - I have been in remission ever since!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 15, 2013

"The medicine works great. I've been on it for almost 2 years. The only thing is I'm getting a lot of the side effects. The one thing that is very bad is the itching on my arms that have lasted a long time. No medicine has helped so if anyone has any ideas on how to stop the itching please give me ideas. The only good thing about this medicine is that it's helping my ulcerative colitis."

d37 September 30, 2011

"I used Remicade for a little over a year and it helped tremendously. While I was on it I never felt better. The only reason I had to stop taking it was because I lost my insurance after I was laid off. My doctors office found a program to help pay for the treatments and I will be going back on the Remicade soon. Can't wait."

Anonymous May 27, 2011

"Have had Ulcerative Colitis for 4 years. 3 years ago started Remicade at 5ml per Kilo, with only mild help. Only other choice was surgery. Switched Doctor who immediately doubled dose to 10ml (which I think is the normal dose) so I probably was under-medicated for 2 years. However higher dose has not helped much more. Have had almost no side effects. One allergic reaction early on to the infusion. Only minor problem is the skin on my hands and arms seems very thin and very easily bleeds from the slightest scratch. So for me it has not worked as hoped. "

J.L. August 31, 2010

"I've been on Remicaid for 4 years for UC. I am in complete remission...its unfortunate that it's an IV infusion, but I will gladly deal with this versus the effects of Ulcerative Colitis."

Anonymous April 29, 2008

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Ulcerative Colitis