User Reviews for Boniva

Learn more about Boniva.

Boniva Review Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Boniva to treat Osteoporosis

"This is the second round of taking Boniva tablets. I had significant improvement, such that I could quit taking it after 8 months. Two years later, my bone density results indicated that I was again starting to lose bone density so am on boniva again. I responded well and quickly, but I think I quit taking it too soon. I am taking the once monthly tablet and the first three months, each time, I had really bad muscle pain in my back for two days after taking the pill, but since I knew that was one of the possible side effects, I weighed the benefits against the muscle pain and chose to continue taking it. I have been on Boniva this round for nine months now, and I no longer have the muscle pain or any other side effects."

chelabailey May 30, 2015

"I took this and the next day, have been sick with flu like symptoms today severe stomach upset and cramps, chills. "

bonivaisthedevil (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2014

"I had bad osteoporosis and the doctor put me on Boniva and 2 years later the osteoporosis and osteopenia was almost gone! In some places it was. I loved this medicine but since I lost my job and my insurance and can no longer take it. The discount insurance I have doesn't cover brand names or even anything similar. I am a couple of years away from Medicare so I hope I can start back again then. I had absolutely no side effects other than it cured me!"

soldiermom11 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2013

"Got severe side-effect from taking Boniva (150mg monthly) for 3 months. Crippling, debilitating bone-joint pain at the hip. Very stiff sensation at the chest sternum and ribs. Went to Urgent Care twice. Flat on bed for 2 months with intense pain and prescribed pain killers (hydrocodone/Dilaudid, prednisone, etc.) have no effect. Discontinue taking Boniva and the pain subsides after three months. Three doctors don't believe it is the Boniva side effect until the fourth MD specialist, a rheumatologist recognizes the Boniva side effect symptoms after a long differential diagnostic (she also has two previous patients with similar symptoms after taking Boniva). "

TriDanielFT August 30, 2013

"I have spontaneous necrosis of the knee. Have only had one dose of I.V. Boniva so far (10 days ago) but I wanted to post something positive on this site because I found most of the reviews to be very disheartening when I read them prior to my infusion. I experienced zero side-effects after I received the infusion. I kept expecting something to happen but I was perfectly fine. Obviously it is too soon to tell whether it will help my condition, but I am keeping a positive outlook."

Penster (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2013

"Have had severe muscle pain in my upper thighs that lasts for 3 or 4 days after taking my monthly dose. Also have heartburn."

kim h April 3, 2013

"Have been taking Boniva for about 8 months. I thought all was well but twice since starting a monthly dose, I have had 2 episodes of severe rash and swelling on my face. The second time it happened I had 2 days of fever and back pain. As soon as the fever broke, the rash appeared. I went to the ER and next day to a specialist, it was that bad. Will have to discontinue use ."

Kymare January 25, 2013

"Tried weekly Boniva and had severe flu symptoms each time and had to stop taking it. That was approximately 1 yr ago. Now taking once monthly. Thought it was okay no flu but having diarrhea and pain in upper thigh after taking twice. Just had 3rd one yesterday and diarrhea is bad."

lafera December 18, 2012

"I like the 1-month convenience, well tolerated...my medicine of choice!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2012

"I had no side effects and I've been taking Boniva for 1 1/2 years. I do wish there was medicine for my severe bone loss that doesn't cost so much. "

Anonymous July 15, 2011

"I used Boniva I.V. once. Had flu like symptoms, headache, runny nose, watery eyes, chest pain and achy hips. Wont take it again!"

A.R. March 15, 2010

"I have experienced flu symtoms within the first 48 hours, and severe joint and bone pain. I feel much worse than before I started taking Boniva. "

snickies December 29, 2009

"All of the osteoporosis medicines have caused horrible heartburn and now esophagus complication."

Gramma Lanna August 13, 2009

"Today I received the results of my bone density test after being on Boniva for two years. I am delighted to say that there is a reversal of my osteoporosis. Thank you, Boniva!"

veewee5 June 19, 2009

"I have used the drug for 2 years and there has been a significant increase in my BMD. My T score went from 2.7 to 2.0 using the once a month pill coupled with daily Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements."

outastep99 May 12, 2009

"BONIVA is the only drug that has improved my T-Scores since I've began my DXA scans over 4 years ago. "

Anonymous April 21, 2009

"Boniva has helped me with my t-score of 3. 8 which is very severe. I was percribed the drug nurtin for migraine headaches which drained calcium from bones. Boniva i. V has worked over one year too build bones. Mild side effect."

Anonymous February 27, 2009

"I had flu like symptoms after taking Boniva. Be aware of this side effect."

Anonymous December 3, 2008

"Boniva has work wonders for me. It is the first time my bone density has improved in 4 years."

wanda knoll November 21, 2008