User Reviews for Levsin

Learn more about Levsin.

Levsin Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Levsin to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"Combined with a fiber supplement like Metamucil I find that Levsin really helps with the trapped gas pains I get with my irritable bowel syndrome. I get sharp stabbing pains in the upper left quadrants that will only be relieved hours later after the trapped gas finally leaves. Heating pad and having my girlfriend push on my stomach also can help, but since starting the Levsin my number of pain days is significantly down. Does cause fatigue though, and be careful with beers as it will make you even more tired."

banyai (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2014

"A gastroenterologist prescribed this for me when I was having very severe abdominal pain from Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and IBS. Well, it did everything but relieve the pain. It blurred my vision, made me nauseous, gave me a pounding headache, made me feel very hot, dried my mouth, made me drowzy, and slowed down my heart rate. The pain continued to worsen, and I ended up in the ER. I had several more attacks afterwards, and the Levsin didn't work then, either. I was then referred to another gastroenterologist, who prescribed me Bentyl and Doxepin. While I have had less side effects with them, they haven't touched my pain, either."

Rachel W (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2014

"I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 11 years, and for almost the entire time, this was the medication I was on. It worked great at first, but then I started having to take double doses (which at least helped with nighttime problems, as it made me extremely drowsy). Eventually, it had no effect on my pain whatsoever, and I only experienced the side effects. I've switched to Librax, which has given me limited results. This medication was a life-saver for years with very fast results, but I guess it just stopped working for me."

IBS Girl (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2014

"I've had good experience with this pill so far. I've been taking it almost a year & if I know I'm going to eat something that might trigger an attack, I take it a few minutes before I eat & 9 out of 10 times, I do fine. This is coming from someone that was scared to eat anywhere away from home because my attacks would get so bad. I went to the ER a number of times because I couldn't bare the pain. This has been a miracle pill for me."

Jg02141 May 19, 2013

"I switched from Bentyl to this because this is an extended release formula. I tried it for 5 months and went back to Bentyl. It didn't work any better and it dried me out so much I could hardly swallow. After a bad flare up, I ended up at the ER and they thought I was very dehydrated but I wasn't, it was just the medicine. I am going to talk with my GP about using something with phenobarbital as I have heard a lot of positive things about it. I already take a migraine medicine with phenobarbital, so I should tolerate it well."

Anonymous August 27, 2012

"These antispasmodics did nothing for me. I was still doubled over in pain hours later. I also was very light-headed and dizzy and my physician ignored my reactions to the medicines. Not a good experience."

Anonymous March 9, 2012

"A sub-lingual dose of Levsin for IBS will begin working within 15 minutes, offering almost immediate relief of pain and discomfort. I highly recommend it if a doctor has prescribed it."

Living Free August 22, 2008

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome