User Reviews for Hylan g-f 20

Also known as: Synvisc, Synvisc-One

Learn more about Hylan g-f 20.

Hylan g-f 20 Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 272 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hylan g-f 20 to treat Osteoarthritis

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had the 3 shots in 3 weeks. No results until about 2 months later. Very pleased at that time. Six months later, ready for another round of 3 shots & the return of relief."

Northboro Nan April 29, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I've had Synvisc One injections at least three times and each time they last anywhere from 6 to 8 months. The relief is awesome. I am careful not to overuse the knee and avoid many activities that I used to do that put undue stress on the knee, but I work full-time, stand for long periods of time, and ride a bike occasionally and Synvisc allows me to do this. However, I am in need of a new dose and this time I need to pay a co-insurance amount of over $400.00. This is far more than I used to pay, so I am not sure what is going on: same doctor, same insurance."

Cholebear (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Excess fluid was aspirated from my knee prior to SynViscOne injection. My doctor informed me that numbing was not recommended. Aspiration and injection were not very painful at all - just the initial "pinch." Swelling was minimal but pain lasted almost a week. 10 days into it, knee is feeling much better. I would do this again."

maple tree January 27, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Instead of giving me pain relief, it did the opposite. I went from moderate pain to severe pain. It has been 6 weeks and my condition is worse then before the injection. I'm hoping it wears off soon. When the PA gave me the injection, some fluid came out of my knee."

John1135611 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I've had both the cortisone shots and the Synvisc-One. I believe they were equally painful, the Synvisc maybe slightly more, as the fluid seems to be quite a bit thicker so there was noticeably more pressure. However, it's been well over 6 months and I haven't had any pain. I've recommended it for my father and would recommend it if the normal cortisone shots don't seem to work any longer."

Daytr8dr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 26, 2014

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had Synvisc-One injections about three weeks ago in both knees. A few years ago I also has the injections over 3 weeks with no serious pain or after effects but lots of relief for 18 month's at least. This time with just one injection my experience was horrendously painful during and after for 24 hours. I had to be taken to my car in a wheel chair after the injections due to pain and swelling. Ice did help. I wish he would have numbed the area 1st, I think that would have helped. For 2-3 weeks after the Synvisc-One injections I had pretty significant ankle and foot swelling that I'm sure were from the injections. I am beginning to feel improvement now again. I think I might opt for the 3 injections next time, less pain."

godlovesyou (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2014

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I have had intermittent knee pain since I was a teenager. I am now 44 and a few years ago the knee pain began preventing me from running. I had my first Synvisc-One injection about a year ago. After reading about the studies online, which show mixed results, I was not expecting this to work but I thought it was worth a try. The procedure itself was only mildly uncomfortable. For about a week after my knee felt more irritated than usual...not terrible though. About a week later..no pain, lasted 4 months. Then the pain returned. My doc had me wait 6 months, and I had a 2nd injection. This one irritated my knee for a few weeks and I was afraid it had made it worse but after 3 weeks...pain free. Again lasted 4 months."

mosta (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2014

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had a Synvisc-One shot about 7 months ago in my right knee. The injection was not painful at all - just uncomfortable as the thick fluid goes in to the knee. I had pain relief for 6 full months. After this experience, I decided to get 2 shots - one in each knee. I had the shots done yesterday, and the pain from the shots was excruciating. The experience was nothing like the first time. I felt like I was going to pass out and as if I had been "sucker punched" in the gut. I couldn't get off the exam table for 20 minutes and could barely get in my car to drive home. I was in such pain and discomfort I went to bed and slept for 12 hours. Today, I still have discomfort and aching. "

RobinElise October 18, 2014

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Received Synvisc injection about 3 weeks ago and experiencing severe pain at injection site. This does not seem normal."

ryleesdad (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2014

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "My wife recently took her second injections of synvisc one, about 6 months after the first. The first seemed to help reduce the knee pain a bit and she was looking forward to a similar experience. However it appears she had a severe allergic reaction to this second dose with many of symptoms described in the adverse reactions section of the clinical trials. By the afternoon of the injections she was experiencing severe back pain and thigh pain along with chills and shivering. By the evening she was not improving and her fever reached 104 with nausea and vomiting. We took her to the ER. They could find no evidence of infection through blood and urine test. Her fever and nausea improved but stomach still upset two days later."

Joseph72 June 29, 2014

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I have taken the Synvisc-One shot in both of my knees. It really does work and I am pain free for actually six months. The reason I will not take it now is because the last time I was given these shots it hurt just too bad. Now I am trying to find something else without all the more pain when taken."

sacagawea2014 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2013

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had the three shots of Synvisc and experienced no relief from knee osteoarthritis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2013

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Injections every 6 months for 3 years"

Cranky Knee Cam (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2013

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I had my first set of injections back in October 2012. I got almost immediate relief after a couple of days of swelling. It worked great for about three months then the effects started to wear off. I am hoping the second set of shots will work as well or better than the first."

Yonatan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2013

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I had my first 3 injections 5 years ago and helped me for 5 years of pain free knees. Now 5 years later I have had my first injection yesterday and the next 2 in the next 2 weeks. Hope this one will also do the job for the next 5 years. Had no side effects whatsoever. I had a great doctor who did my hip replacement and also did the Synvisc injections. The key is to get a good doctor to do the injections. I highly recommend this injection."

Pastry chef January 25, 2013

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had a knee injury over 10 years ago and was told that later on, I would have Osteoarthritis. Well that time is here along with bone spurs on front & back of my knee. Most times I would just live with the pain but at times when it was most unbearable I would be taking Advil sometimes every other day. When my brother told me he had this injection after an ACL injury and how great it was, I decided to give it a try since my insurance covered it, okay then. I won't lie, the initial injection was painful only because I hate needles and it is not a fast injection because of the fluid being so thick you can almost feel it going in and around your knee cap but I will tell you this is the best thing I ever did. No pain at all, going on 3 weeks."

ibeamys (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2012

"I am looking at getting my forth injection, the first two weeks are bad. Ice... Ice.. Ice. My pain never goes away but by the end of 6 mouths I realize how much this does help. I could had my knee replaced but have been told I will not be able to kneel after that. I service equipment for a living and spend a great of time on my knees and don't think I could do my job. At 55 I need to work. The unloader brace I wear helps too but all in all this treatment keeps me going."

JPii March 15, 2012

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had orthoscopic surgery on both knees for meniscal turns from over use during my time in the military. After choosing the injections verses cortisones or steroid shots I've had excellent results. I'm 45 and still run 4 miles every other day without any pain. The injections were not painful and took only minutes in the doctors office. I finished two series and now ready for my third. I give it and excellent rating."

Airborne96 December 16, 2011

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I first had the 3 in one injection 2 years ago with instant benefits and it lasted almost a year to the date. This is the 3rd time I have had the same injection but this time my knees are so swollen that I can not walk downstairs or get up from sitting. This is the second day and I am still hopeful that after the swelling goes down it will also last another year."

Utah Gal September 24, 2011

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I have had problems with my knees for few years, sometimes had to use a cane and then others just hurt when I bend down or go upstairs. Osteoarthritis. I took a Synvisc-One shot today and it did not hurt at all. The doctor numbed the area up before inserting the needle. I am hoping it works as well as I've heard it does."

mla873 November 17, 2010

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "After using Synvisc for years, I tried Synvisc-One this week. The process of Synvisc was somewhat painful and I walked away with minimal pain. Synvisc-One was excruciating. For the first time, the injections (one in each knee) were incredibly painful. I sat for 20 minutes in the exam room working up the nerve to walk to the waiting room. Then I took 30 minutes to work up the nerve to walk the 35 yards to the car. After 3 days, I am starting to walk again without severe pain. This was the first time I had it, and in 6 or 8 months I'll do it again. Just know it is a bigger syringe, a bigger dose, and a much bigger needle. In the end, I believe it to be a good cushion for my knees, and will be longer lasting."

Jimifan October 2, 2010

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had Synvisc-One injection in January, 2010. I'm due for another this month (every six months). I'm an avid 56 year old tennis player and my knee has developed severe arthritis through injury (tear and scope) and years of pounding on the court. I haven't been able to play the Singles that I love for three years, as a consequence - and have had to settled for Doubles. No more - this is a miracle drug for me personally. I'm playing singles again and being very active in other ways with no debilitating swelling and pain. It is all good for now. I'll keep taking the shot and I am so grateful for this drug."

P Squared August 4, 2010

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I had my third injection 30 days ago. I find the improvement to my knee to be ongoing. Kind of a two steps forward one step back situation. I can now go up stairs almost normally. I no longer limp as I walk and the knee is relatively pain free. I have hopes that I will be able to play raquet ball again sometime in the future."

Anonymous July 26, 2009

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I did the three injections and got less relief than the cortisone injections I had. Plus the shots are expensive even with insurance."

rutsy July 3, 2009

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Synvisc gave me significant, almost immediate relief from the bone-on-bone pain in my knees. Since then, as I continue to learn about my knee problems, I now understand that some of the pain is in the tendons around my knees, which are inflamed due to severe bow-legs. Still don't understand why the bowing is increasing with my age, but this forces my tendons to stretch in an incorrect manner, more on the inside of each leg than on the outside. Unfortunately Synvisc cannot address this problem, although it does provide a nice separation between the joint surfaces which also suffer from excess pressure on the inside portion of each knee. I am currently looking into shoe wedges to improve leg straightness by preventing excess supination."

Anonymous May 24, 2009