User Reviews for Hylan g-f 20

Also known as: Synvisc, Synvisc-One

Learn more about Hylan g-f 20.

Hylan g-f 20 Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hylan g-f 20 to treat Osteoarthritis

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had my first shot in my left knee almost 3 years ago! Was amazing and still no issues to this day. My second shot was in the right knee which lasted a little over a year and just had the third in that same knee. Almost PAIN free in both. Far better than surgery!!! Highly recommend before opting for surgery!!"

Schnickelgruber January 28, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Before injections, had continuous pain in right knee; even during the night with little relief from aleve or motrin. Had some relief with physical therapy. After third injection, night pain was totally gone injections were two years ago. Now, only take Aspirin (arthritis back & body) when I am doing strenuous exercise or gardening. Can walk 6-8 miles a day with only slight discomfort. I have not needed more injections."

64 year old male January 22, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "This was without a doubt one of the most painful experiences I have encountered in my 65 years. I had it last January. The shot itself was not bad, but immediately after the shot, the pain around the knee was excruciating. I pretty much lived with pain twice as bad as before I had the shot for the next eight or ten weeks. Staying off of it, icing it and pain killers were the only help. Eventually the pain slowed down, but I would recommend that people look carefully and study the possible side effects before doing it. I had a partial knee replacement in July (six months ago) and the results are spectacular... I am walking, doing water aerobics and extremely active without any pain."

Quazinna December 25, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Well I have had a Synvisc injection in each knee once a week for the past 3 weeks. Unfortunately, the swelling and stiffness has been almost unbearable. I have a very high tolerance to pain but it has kept me up at night for the past week. I am now icing my knees for 20 minutes every 2 hours and staying off of my feet as much as possible. I have read that these side affects can last up to 3 weeks (I hope not). It is very difficult to get up off of the toilet and have had to use a cane the last 2 days. It has now been a month since my first injection and I noticed the symptoms worsened with each one! They have cost me $700 from Canada. Insurance would not pay for medication."

WW retiree November 21, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Going on 8 weeks after a synvisc one injection and the constant pain is now 10 times WORSE than before. my quality of life is horrible due to pain caused by shot. I have osteoarthritis in knee, nothing like the kind of pain I am in now. READ ALL THE REVIEWS BEFORE YOU GET THIS DONE"

chrissy7889 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "First two injections worked very well ,third injection seemed to stiffen my knee more .I did not get the desired results."

sunbell (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I stopped running marathons, something I really enjoyed. My arthritis has put a stop to any running. Now, I walk 5-6 miles every other day with a pair of weights around my ankles. My arthritis kept me up at night until I started my Synvisc-One injections. I get one in each knee every 6 months; they really make a difference."

Marathon Man Stan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I received one shot and was told I couldn't have another for 6 months. It's been 3 weeks with no relief from the pain. I am still limping significantly. Hoping it is just a matter of waiting longer for it to take effect."

Anonymous October 4, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had the original Synvisc 3 in my left knee with no measurable improvement and ultimately had a complete knee replacement. My right knee is a complete success story. I have had four Synvisc One injections and I am scheduled for another next month. The pain relief was incredible, yes the shot itself is uncomfortable but not excruciating. I have had anywhere from five to six months of relief each time. I would recommend this procedure to anyone."

Lam821 September 29, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had the Synvisc one injection in my left knee 4 weeks ago. The injection was painful and I had worse knee pain than before for 3 1/2 weeks. I have had little to no pain for 4 days now. I am hopeful to receive 5-6 months of pain free living. If so I will most likely have a repeat injection as my next option is knee replacement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had a synvisc one injection in both knees about a week ago. Initially, I was told to expect pain and swelling for the first 48 hrs. So, I took it easy and stayed off me feet. As the week went on, the pain and swelling progressed. Exactly 7 days later, I ended up in the ER with excruciating pain , swelling and stiffness. The doctors removed 110cc's of fluid from my left knee alone. I was later released and told to follow up with my physician .To date, I am still in continuos pain and have difficulty walking. I wish I had never done this."

Eblaq (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Extreme pain and inflammation on the sight where injection was done. It happened in my first and now my second set of injections. The swelling last for about a week. I will not be getting my 3 rd set of synvisc injections. Too painful."

Anonymous September 11, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "After two knee scopes, a cortisone injection had a Synvisc-one injection last week. I was told it could be a month before any relief. Knee hurts so bad at night I cannot sleep. So far my knee problems..ie...pain, knee collapse and swelling is worse than ever. Hope it starts working soon."

BammaCo August 22, 2015

"Had injections from Feb 3,10,17th. Took about 7 weeks after 3rd injection and finally amazing relief. Pain free for 6 months now and so far haven't needed to follow up yet. But the osteoarthritis pain before injection was incredibly bad and im only 51 so I needed to do something. I dont have bone on bone not even close but did have acl surgery 25 years ago. So overall love it."

americaninfidel1 August 4, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "This is day 2 after my first Synvisc One shot. The shot wasnt bad, only uncomfortble during the last 3 seconds. I walked out and had a little tightness as the gel was settling in. Day 2 Im walking around with absolutely no issues and with a 90% reduction in pain.Day 2 far exceeded all my expectations. I completely am pleased and satisfied with Synvisc One. I hope it lasts more than 6 months."

highdesert (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I was so nervous about getting this shot - and believe me, it was a piece of cake! It was slightly uncomfortable for about 2-3 seconds, but no screaming pain. After a few days I did notice a reduction in pain. I am now about 4 weeks out from the shot and my knee feels wonderful! This shot has been totally worth it for me. I will get another one when needed with no hesitation."

Martih07 June 25, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I am a 34 y/o female. I first tore my ACL in 1997 and since the have had 5 complete reconstructions. I have severe arthritis in that knee now and it was scoped by my doc two years ago to prepare me for my Synvisc One injections. I am very active: running 6-10 miles, teaching at the gym, and teaching dance. I have been told I need a total knee replacement, but no one will do it on someone so young. The injections have given me so much pain relief that I am hoping to run my first half marathon this fall (was going for one this weekend, but bone spurs got the best of me). I usually cry during the injection, and I did pass out once. If the doctor injects higher on the outside of your knee, I've found my recovery time to be much less. Worth it!"

Gracie223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Had each knee done in 2009.The shots lasted close to five years with some minor discomfort coming back.I had two mores shots just today, hope it lasts another 5 years.Biggest problem blue cross in Mass won't cover it. 875 per shot!"

Howard Kosrofian June 9, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Received three injections of Synvisc in January 2015. After 1st shot I experienced a relief from severe pain I had been experiencing. After the 2nd shot the stiffness I had been experiencing began to subside. After the third shot my knees stopped hurting and it has been uphill for almost 6 months. I experience an occasional catching of the right knee, but no significant pain."

Castpolymer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had the 3 shots in 3 weeks. No results until about 2 months later. Very pleased at that time. Six months later, ready for another round of 3 shots & the return of relief."

Northboro Nan April 29, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I've had Synvisc One injections at least three times and each time they last anywhere from 6 to 8 months. The relief is awesome. I am careful not to overuse the knee and avoid many activities that I used to do that put undue stress on the knee, but I work full-time, stand for long periods of time, and ride a bike occasionally and Synvisc allows me to do this. However, I am in need of a new dose and this time I need to pay a co-insurance amount of over $400.00. This is far more than I used to pay, so I am not sure what is going on: same doctor, same insurance."

Cholebear (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Excess fluid was aspirated from my knee prior to SynViscOne injection. My doctor informed me that numbing was not recommended. Aspiration and injection were not very painful at all - just the initial "pinch." Swelling was minimal but pain lasted almost a week. 10 days into it, knee is feeling much better. I would do this again."

maple tree January 27, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Instead of giving me pain relief, it did the opposite. I went from moderate pain to severe pain. It has been 6 weeks and my condition is worse then before the injection. I'm hoping it wears off soon. When the PA gave me the injection, some fluid came out of my knee."

John1135611 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I've had both the cortisone shots and the Synvisc-One. I believe they were equally painful, the Synvisc maybe slightly more, as the fluid seems to be quite a bit thicker so there was noticeably more pressure. However, it's been well over 6 months and I haven't had any pain. I've recommended it for my father and would recommend it if the normal cortisone shots don't seem to work any longer."

Daytr8dr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 26, 2014

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had Synvisc-One injections about three weeks ago in both knees. A few years ago I also has the injections over 3 weeks with no serious pain or after effects but lots of relief for 18 month's at least. This time with just one injection my experience was horrendously painful during and after for 24 hours. I had to be taken to my car in a wheel chair after the injections due to pain and swelling. Ice did help. I wish he would have numbed the area 1st, I think that would have helped. For 2-3 weeks after the Synvisc-One injections I had pretty significant ankle and foot swelling that I'm sure were from the injections. I am beginning to feel improvement now again. I think I might opt for the 3 injections next time, less pain."

godlovesyou (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2014