User Reviews for Hylan g-f 20

Also known as: Synvisc, Synvisc-One

Learn more about Hylan g-f 20.

Hylan g-f 20 review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 274 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hylan g-f 20 to treat Osteoarthritis

Review by Joseph72:

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): My wife recently took her second injections of synvisc one, about 6 months after the first. The first seemed to help reduce the knee pain a bit and she was looking forward to a similar experience. However it appears she had a severe allergic reaction to this second dose with many of symptoms described in the adverse reactions section of the clinical trials. By the afternoon of the injections she was experiencing severe back pain and thigh pain along with chills and shivering. By the evening she was not improving and her fever reached 104 with nausea and vomiting. We took her to the ER. They could find no evidence of infection through blood and urine test. Her fever and nausea improved but stomach still upset two days later.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 11:27 PM

Review by sacagawea2014 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): I have taken the Synvisc-One shot in both of my knees. It really does work and I am pain free for actually six months. The reason I will not take it now is because the last time I was given these shots it hurt just too bad. Now I am trying to find something else without all the more pain when taken.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2013 4:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): Had the three shots of Synvisc and experienced no relief from knee osteoarthritis.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2013 3:41 PM

Review by Cranky Knee Cam (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): Injections every 6 months for 3 years

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by Yonatan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): I had my first set of injections back in October 2012. I got almost immediate relief after a couple of days of swelling. It worked great for about three months then the effects started to wear off. I am hoping the second set of shots will work as well or better than the first.

April 10, 2013 12:55 AM

Review by Pastry chef:

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): I had my first 3 injections 5 years ago and helped me for 5 years of pain free knees. Now 5 years later I have had my first injection yesterday and the next 2 in the next 2 weeks. Hope this one will also do the job for the next 5 years. Had no side effects whatsoever. I had a great doctor who did my hip replacement and also did the Synvisc injections. The key is to get a good doctor to do the injections. I highly recommend this injection.

January 25, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by ibeamys (taken for less than 1 month):

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): I had a knee injury over 10 years ago and was told that later on, I would have Osteoarthritis. Well that time is here along with bone spurs on front & back of my knee. Most times I would just live with the pain but at times when it was most unbearable I would be taking Advil sometimes every other day. When my brother told me he had this injection after an ACL injury and how great it was, I decided to give it a try since my insurance covered it, okay then. I won't lie, the initial injection was painful only because I hate needles and it is not a fast injection because of the fluid being so thick you can almost feel it going in and around your knee cap but I will tell you this is the best thing I ever did. No pain at all, going on 3 weeks.

July 3, 2012 4:32 PM

Review by JPii:

I am looking at getting my forth injection, the first two weeks are bad. Ice... Ice.. Ice. My pain never goes away but by the end of 6 mouths I realize how much this does help. I could had my knee replaced but have been told I will not be able to kneel after that. I service equipment for a living and spend a great of time on my knees and don't think I could do my job. At 55 I need to work. The unloader brace I wear helps too but all in all this treatment keeps me going.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2012 7:18 PM

Review by Airborne96:

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): I had orthoscopic surgery on both knees for meniscal turns from over use during my time in the military. After choosing the injections verses cortisones or steroid shots I've had excellent results. I'm 45 and still run 4 miles every other day without any pain. The injections were not painful and took only minutes in the doctors office. I finished two series and now ready for my third. I give it and excellent rating.

December 16, 2011 10:13 PM

Review by Utah Gal:

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): I first had the 3 in one injection 2 years ago with instant benefits and it lasted almost a year to the date. This is the 3rd time I have had the same injection but this time my knees are so swollen that I can not walk downstairs or get up from sitting. This is the second day and I am still hopeful that after the swelling goes down it will also last another year.

September 24, 2011 3:41 PM

Review by mla873:

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): I have had problems with my knees for few years, sometimes had to use a cane and then others just hurt when I bend down or go upstairs. Osteoarthritis. I took a Synvisc-One shot today and it did not hurt at all. The doctor numbed the area up before inserting the needle. I am hoping it works as well as I've heard it does.

November 17, 2010 1:07 PM

Review by Jimifan:

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): After using Synvisc for years, I tried Synvisc-One this week. The process of Synvisc was somewhat painful and I walked away with minimal pain. Synvisc-One was excruciating. For the first time, the injections (one in each knee) were incredibly painful. I sat for 20 minutes in the exam room working up the nerve to walk to the waiting room. Then I took 30 minutes to work up the nerve to walk the 35 yards to the car. After 3 days, I am starting to walk again without severe pain. This was the first time I had it, and in 6 or 8 months I'll do it again. Just know it is a bigger syringe, a bigger dose, and a much bigger needle. In the end, I believe it to be a good cushion for my knees, and will be longer lasting.

October 2, 2010 12:07 AM

Review by P Squared:

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): I had Synvisc-One injection in January, 2010. I'm due for another this month (every six months). I'm an avid 56 year old tennis player and my knee has developed severe arthritis through injury (tear and scope) and years of pounding on the court. I haven't been able to play the Singles that I love for three years, as a consequence - and have had to settled for Doubles. No more - this is a miracle drug for me personally. I'm playing singles again and being very active in other ways with no debilitating swelling and pain. It is all good for now. I'll keep taking the shot and I am so grateful for this drug.

August 4, 2010 2:32 PM

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): I had my third injection 30 days ago. I find the improvement to my knee to be ongoing. Kind of a two steps forward one step back situation. I can now go up stairs almost normally. I no longer limp as I walk and the knee is relatively pain free. I have hopes that I will be able to play raquet ball again sometime in the future.

July 26, 2009 10:15 PM

Review by rutsy:

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): I did the three injections and got less relief than the cortisone injections I had. Plus the shots are expensive even with insurance.

July 3, 2009 4:46 PM

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): Synvisc gave me significant, almost immediate relief from the bone-on-bone pain in my knees. Since then, as I continue to learn about my knee problems, I now understand that some of the pain is in the tendons around my knees, which are inflamed due to severe bow-legs. Still don't understand why the bowing is increasing with my age, but this forces my tendons to stretch in an incorrect manner, more on the inside of each leg than on the outside. Unfortunately Synvisc cannot address this problem, although it does provide a nice separation between the joint surfaces which also suffer from excess pressure on the inside portion of each knee. I am currently looking into shoe wedges to improve leg straightness by preventing excess supination.

May 24, 2009 3:12 PM

Review by NeilBelek:

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): I have used Synvisc it for 7 years (getting injections every 6 months) and my doctor said I could be the poster child for the treatment. It held off my knee replacement by at least 5 years. I'd recommend it to anyone

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2008 9:25 AM