User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"I started getting anxious around last year. Never had the feeling before so I went to a doctor and she prescribed this stuff. I'll tell you exactly how you feel with this stuff. If you ever smoked weed, it's like waking up high and staying high the rest of the day until you get a headache in the back of your head (at least for me). Not addicting, but the feeling is calm. Until you stop taking it for a while thinking that your cured. SIKE! Your anxiety just got worse. It's like using a face wash for acne. It won't cure it but it controls it. So then you start taking them again but you start to hate this feeling. It's like you're in a twilight all day. "

Anxietycanbefixed August 26, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I experience severe social and generalised anxiety. I was given 25mg of Atarax to take twice a day. I didn't feel it relieved my anxiety symptoms. It made me very sleepy. When I awoke in the morning I felt very groggy, constant yawning and didn't feel I could pay attention or properly, function at my job or get housework/errands done. I personally do not find Atarax helpful for anxiety."

shemightbelost (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2015

"I got prescribed 50mg of the generic vistaril and took one. Woah. It knocked me out so bad and then all the next day I had a hangover feeling. I now take 12.5mg and now it helps me sleep but I still have a major hangover feeling the next day and want to just sleep and sleep."

DEE0316 August 16, 2015

"I took 25mg, and it didn't put me to sleep at all, I stood up the entire night and didn't even go to bed until 3pm, I took it at around midnight . My lips started to feel inflamed and I got tremors which started to scare me a bit. I asked the pharmacist if I can take 50mg and I'm going to try it again tonight, hopefully it works!"

BrandonPizzaSlice August 9, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Im 18, and I've never been on medications before... i have performance- and social anxiety. So when i went to my doctors and asked for something to help me survive my everyday life, he recommended Atarax. But i have been taking them for 2 weeks now with no effect what so ever... granted, they are only 10 mg and small as a breadcrumb, but i was at least expecting some effect from it. The only thing i felt was nausea and dizziness.... must say im quite disappointed "

sofiepofie (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

"Having severe anxiety all my life, on and off many different meds, hydroxyzine has been a life saver!!! Only taking it for a month now and I can tell such a huge difference! My anxiety use to rule my life and now I feel like im human again. It takes effect fast with no side effects!! A true miracle drug!!"

his michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

"I was put on this medication back in may (2015) for anxiety also for detox because I was on xanax for 8years and then I was on clonopin for 3years. Im supposed to be taking this med 3 times a day (150mg) as needed. I don't take the full max I only take 50 at night and do I sleep good at night I'm usually up at 6am but now I'm waking up at 9 in the morning and I do feel like I'm on cloud 9 but I feel better being on this med. it also works very well for my eczema"

lilLotus (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

"My GP prescribed this for anxiety. I took one 50mg pill at around 3pm and feel asleep until about 9pm. I stayed up an hour or two (don't really recall, I was very woozy) and fell *back* asleep until 11am the next day. I was groggy all day and a bit so even into the next day. I am scared to take this during the day if I'm having anxiety. I have insomnia and want to try it as a sleep aid, just not if I'm going to sleep and feel groggy for so long. I'll update if I try it."

Heathen9 July 31, 2015

"Got off of benzos using a Librium detox and after about a week, was having such bad withdrawal I couldn't take it anymore. On top of all the physical stuff, I felt like I was in a constant state of full blown panic. My doctor suggested I try this and it's been a life saver. Does it stop anxiety like a benzo? No. Does it take the edge off, most definitely. I take 50 mg 2- to 4xDay. It doesn't make me sleepy but it does make me a little dizzy. I have to wait about an hour after I take it to see if it's going to make me dizzy or not. When you first start taking it, give yourself some time to see how you will react. The impact lessens the longer you take it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Helped me a lot, non addictive, but some times it keeps me half sleeping and half awake at night time, otherwise its a great drug for its calming effect. Thanks"

Raj15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

"I have GAD with some kind of OCD that make me stay focused on my worries so long time. I keep overthinking about my feared situations etc...Vistaril is highly sedating so that it's my number1 drug to fall asleep. It provides you with a relaxation when you feel tense and anxious. When the anxiety attack is so strong it's better to take a higher dose than usual. I think vistaril is better than benzos because hydroxyzine's effect is more stable and lasts longer during the day. I take it up to 4 times 1 or 1,5 25 mg pills. It's really useful for anxiety and stress."

MynameisLuca July 20, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "This is great for general anxiety. Calms you down fairly quickly and makes you "zoned out", mildly sedated and definitely less anxious. Not as strong as a benzo and will not stop a panic attack, but is great for when you are feeling panicky or generally anxious. Another plus is that it is not addictive. Absolutely no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. This DEFINITELY raises my resting pulse about 15 beats per minute and also raises diastolic blood pressure about 10 points even at a small dose. Even with these raises, mine is still within normal range, but just a word of caution."

J P S July 9, 2015

"I would just like to add that it being my second time taking it both times it gave me nightmares and I would not call them seizures but more so define them as erratic,involuntary muscle spasims.Also, after taking other benzodiazepines I would disagree to it helping better than those. I think with the benzodiazepines you just have to find the right dosage for you as an individual. Also, sometimes what helps one individual, is not always going to help the next. Everybody reacts differently to different chemicals and medication. So even though it helps my anxiety during the day at night just the thought of the nightmares it gives me, gives me anxiety."

nightvivid (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2015

"It helps out tremendously with my anxiety. For some reason I get extremely vivid nightmares. What is strange about the nightmares is that they always have the same setting as where I am sleeping. Also, when I have the nightmares after A short period of them starting , It's almost like I realise it's just a dream and I convert into a mode of half asleep, half awake. I'll be having the nightmare but I realise it's not real and try to wake my self up but at the same time I'm trying to wake up in my dream I feel like im trying so hard to move to open my eyes but I can't. Almost like a paralyzed state of being but than I wake up usually after the first nightmare they stop. But, not always. Has anybody else experienced this side effect?"

nightvivid (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I just started this medication yesterday. I was extremely doubtful since I've tried xanex, clonapin, and valium. However, I was at the point that I was willing to try anything. Took my first dose around 6pm and I was truly impressed. So I think it works alot better for my anxiety than any benzos ever did. For weeks I've been feeling like I was about to crawl out of my skin. Lots of medical issues, high blood pressure. I'm in telephone sales and its not ideal for those with similar medical problems. Now I feel great. Excited to go to work tomorrow. This is coming from someone who thought only benzos helped. If your doctor gives it to you, try it, it works. I take less than what others say they take and I still stand by it."

Meytal83 June 27, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "This is not a miracle worker. But it does greatly improve my GAD and social anxiety. Its does mildly sedate me. I take it every day. Usually take about 100 mg a day in divided doses."

DylPill90 June 11, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I had anxiety that I consider inexpressible. It was as bad as it can get. I took Xanax and it amplified my depression substantially, which increased my anxiety. Seeking a long term treatment rather than an addictive short term relief, I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg. This is a drug similar to Benadryl, but a bit stronger. It is nonaddictive, and DOES fight the anxiety without the side effects of Ativan/Xanax. This WILL NOT kill the anxiety alone. You must be on an SSRI such as Lexapro for this drug to fully combat GAD. I urge everyone to try this drug. There are no risks, and it may help you."

Maksymilian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Taking 25mg every 12 hours. Makes me feel like I have a hang over the next day. As far as it helping my anxiety, well, it knocks me out. So I guess I can't be anxious if I'm asleep on the couch. Will be trying something else."

Shannonwashere (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

"After experiencing crippling anxiety and panic attacks, I took a leave of absence from and eventually lost my six figure lucrative job in Boston. I went into a residential treatment center for 2 months. I did a 7 week trial of Celexa and Paxil. Both made me severely more anxious, agitated, jittery and gained 20 pounds. I felt completely hopeless. At the center, they also introduced me to Vistaril. It was the ONLY thing that worked (besides Ativan, which is addictive). At one point I was up to 75mg/day and noticed my resting pulse was consistently 25-30bpm higher than usual. My diastolic BP also consistently was 10 higher. I lowered my dose to only 12.5mg/day and pulse and BP went back to normal and still worked well. It won't help depression though"

J p s s May 29, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It's not really helping anything"

chris93838282 May 23, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I was recommended to switch from xanax to vistaril, but the vistaril did not help with my anxiety at all. I became extremely irritable (probably from the increased anxiety not being treated with xanax anymore). I did not notice any positive effects even after taking it for a month. I was told this medication was fast acting for panic attacks like xanax, but they did not help with the panic attacks in the least bit. I highly recommend that if you have severe debilitating anxiety to not even try this drug based on what I went through."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"This medicine defentaly helped me to stop my hands from shaking.But after around 8 months of taking the pill (which is how long I have been taking it) the medication is pretty non effective.I have decided that I need a stronger medication.One more thing to add is that the pill helped to stop me angina like chest pains"

Emily The Secret May 18, 2015

"Game changer... It wasn't as heavily sedating as I thought it would be, but it sincerely helps me with my panic attacks along with the the help of self talk. Calms me right down, without the hungover feeling that Xanax and Klonopin leave you with."

Gypsygirl103 May 2, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have been on Vistaril for about a year now and it has helped my anxiety greatly. Not to mention no side effects at all. It also helps greatly with itching and extreme tension. I am taking 200 mg per day in two divided doses. I am very happy with this medication."

blaze22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy"

PriPre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015