User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It's not really helping anything"

chris93838282 May 23, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I was recommended to switch from xanax to vistaril, but the vistaril did not help with my anxiety at all. I became extremely irritable (probably from the increased anxiety not being treated with xanax anymore). I did not notice any positive effects even after taking it for a month. I was told this medication was fast acting for panic attacks like xanax, but they did not help with the panic attacks in the least bit. I highly recommend that if you have severe debilitating anxiety to not even try this drug based on what I went through."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"This medicine defentaly helped me to stop my hands from shaking.But after around 8 months of taking the pill (which is how long I have been taking it) the medication is pretty non effective.I have decided that I need a stronger medication.One more thing to add is that the pill helped to stop me angina like chest pains"

Emily The Secret May 18, 2015

"Game changer... It wasn't as heavily sedating as I thought it would be, but it sincerely helps me with my panic attacks along with the the help of self talk. Calms me right down, without the hungover feeling that Xanax and Klonopin leave you with."

Gypsygirl103 May 2, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have been on Vistaril for about a year now and it has helped my anxiety greatly. Not to mention no side effects at all. It also helps greatly with itching and extreme tension. I am taking 200 mg per day in two divided doses. I am very happy with this medication."

blaze22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy"

PriPre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"I have been taking Atarax for about a month now for anxiety due to an obsessive amount of medical conditions that all seem to have started at around the same time. So I asked my doctor if there was anything I could take that was not addictive, that could help with my anxiety and he gave me atarax. OH MY GOD has this been a miracle drug! Not only do I sleep amazingly every night I feel relaxed enough to get through my day now! On top of that my allergies are now nonexistent and I've been able to refrain from smoking and drinking much more easily because of it. My only problem is the super weird and sometimes scary dreams I get if I take it before bed, but that's hardly an issue compared to how much it has helped me."

Troy7d5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Of the non-benzodiazepeine anti-anxiety agents, Vistaril is my first choice. Vistaril seperates itself from the others by rapidly inducing a pleasant & warm feeling. By comparison, things like Compazine and clonidine are much colder and more harsh in side effects. Although Vistaril is gentle & easy going for the first hour or so, a strong drowsiness will come on by Hour #2. But overall I'd still rank it as a side-effect-free type of medicine, when compared to other non-benzo anxiolytics."

BeyondAndB4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2015

"I have been taking Atarax (hydroxyzine) for anxiety 25mg/6hrs as needed. I have spontaneous panic attacks. Though I don't feel it is very helpful in stopping an attack that had already begun since it takes about 30 minutes to take effect, it is helpful in preventing one if you know what signs your body/mind will give you before you have one and take it promptly upon noticing these signs. It does make me a little tired, but not messed up and groggy like Xanax or Ativan. I don't care for benzodiazapines, so this is what I have to work with. This spring, I have noticed symptoms of pollen allergies I never had before. This medication is an antihistamine, which also alleviates these symptoms. All in all, I'd say this drug is pretty effective."

NervousNancy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015

"Been on this medicine off and on for a few years. Usually by doctors who are convinced that every person who asks for a benzodiazepine must be addicted to them. This medication has very little effect on me. I have debilitating generalized anxiety disorder, severe treatment resistant obsessive compulsive disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. This medication is supposed to be for panic attacks. However for me it takes a while to kick in, and once it does, it only relieves a fraction of the intense and constant anxiety. It doesn't make me sleepy whatsoever, nor does it calm my restlessness."

ecarbajal April 5, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It caused severe paranoia and ultra sensitivity to all senses."

llwyatt90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"I have a rare disease called Systemic Mastocytosis that presents a varying number of symptoms caused by too much histamine being released in my body. Hydroxyzine relieved constant anxiety, fatigue, and muscle/bone pain. It also calms the nervous system down when I am itchy."

MastoMom (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2015

"My psychiatrist prescribed 50 MG of Hydroxyzine every 6 hours for anxiety. This medicine literally takes 15 minutes to kick in my system. In like a zombie. Literally drooling and having to be watched like a child. Works a little too good."

morganT80 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2015

"Did not work on me at all. I was on 50mg"

Mollym2300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "It worked for a while then it stopped working a few months later"

Birdy02 March 12, 2015

"Has helped me quite a bit... went from a 2 ona scale of 1-10 to a 5... not so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I was taking 50 mg three times a day. It worked awesome for my anxiety, however after a month I started having seizures and severe muscle twitching and I had to stop it."

Lacie Love (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I was originally prescribed ATARAX for poision ivy. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I take CYMBALTA daily & VALIUM as needed. I was pleasantly surprised when starting ATARAX. I noticed after my first pill having a more clear head and being more productive. I didn't connect the two until later reading up on its other benefits. Anyway, I haven't had any side effects at all on ATARAX and it has been added to my daily Meds. If I'm more than 4 hours off my CYMBALTA I will get a nasty headache & would be a withdrawal nightmare but it's the ONLY thing that has helped my depression long term & I've tried "everything" so I am thankful & Im sure to take my Meds on time! Goodluck!"

Nina Picassa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

"I've been taking hydroxine for a while now 50mg twice a day it help with anxiety but I have the opposite effect when it comes to making me tired it does not at all affect me in that way."

Srburnet24 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "It has helped me to relax and not have as much anxiety."

CorrieG (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I was on Cymbalta 90mg and had to stop cold turkey .. thank goodness for my Atarax. I am having severe withdrawals and I take 50mg up to 4 times a day . I also use this for my anxiety. I was addicted to Klonopin so I am thankful for this no addictive Atarax."

donewbenzo February 9, 2015

"I was recently in the hospital for a panic attack, and everyday since I've had high anxiety. I was given this that night and it helped me cope, but I would always go to sleep when I took one. After a month I got put on sertraline (still waiting to see a difference), and the night anxiety got worse. So I take this when I feel I wont be able to talk myself out of a panic attack."

Anonymous February 8, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I'm glad I was prescribed Vistaril. It relives anxiety quickly without all the downsides of Klonopin or Xanax. The drowsiness is more pronounced, but I'll take it over a panic attack. This seems like a good medicine to take as needed. Be careful driving, and remember to rely on natural coping skills as well. To the people experiencing an abnormal amount of drowsiness or nausea, just remember it's temporary. It was totally effective for me, and my anxiety is moderate."

Steve Stevenson February 6, 2015

"I've been taking Zoloft and hydroxyzine for 5 months. I've been sober now for almost 8 years but was addicted to numerous meds off and on for 30 years, including Xanax, so I won't take benzos - Horrible withdrawal! My prescription was 25 mg as needed. That helped some, a little, I guess... Anyway, I found that if I take 25 mg early morning and again mid-afternoon it works. And it has never made me drowsy at all. Not even a little bit, so I guess it all depends on the individual."

Geo57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2015

"I have terrible anxiety, and my doctor prescribed this with Lamictal. I took it once to help bring me down from a massive anxiety attack and it knocked me down, but my anxiety elevated because my body was so weighed down but my mind was still panicking. I hated it, made everything worse, I could barely even speak in the 25mg dose."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2015