User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

Review by Linzi8083:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): Didn't help me with my anxiety at all. Just made me physically exhausted and unable to function during the day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 3:38 AM

Review by MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine): Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by Bayougal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prescribed Hydroxyzine a year ago for itching/rash/hives. Worked extremely well. My skin cleared up and didnt need to take anymore. I also suffer with anxiety/panic attack/ agoraphobia and stress. Heard that hydroxyzine can also be used for that. About 30 minutes ago I began having a severe anxiety/panic attack. My arm and face hurt, tingling/numbness, fear I am dying, etc. So I took two 25mg and hoping it will lesson all my panicky feelings. As of now symptoms have lessened but not gone. Not extremely sleepy/tired but slight sedation. In the past with taking for the itching/hives and rash the sedation usually kicked in about an hour after taking. So it could do the same - which would be fine with me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine): This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief.

October 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Review by waslosingit:

Atarax (hydroxyzine): Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!

October 3, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Anxiety and Add:

I took one little 10mg and a Adderall 10mg as well. And let me tell you THOSE DO NOT MIX. I was at school and the time and I tried to write and my are was what felt like 50 pounds and I just sat there smiling like I was very high.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by Nicole1881:

Atarax (hydroxyzine): I have tried a lot of different medications for my anxiety, and nothing has ever worked, that is; until I was prescribed Atarax. I was going through some very, very stressful times and had to go on something. Nothing has ever helped me, not Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. I know that is a lot of different ones! But this is spread out over many years of trying new ones, not one of them really worked for me, and I had lots of bad side effects from them. Atarax was one that I had never heard of, till the doctor prescribed it to me. Immediately it works. You take it, and within 30 mins it kicks in, and last for hours. You can take one or two at a time, every six hours. The only side effect is sleepiness, and I did experience this.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by va usn:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): High anxiety-25mg helped within 45 minutes!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by Fred93:

I was given this (50mg) as needed for anxiety/panic. The first time I took it, it knocked me out for 13 hours. When I woke up I was very groggy for at least 2 hours. After the mental and physical exhaustion went away I did feel very calm and collected for quite some time. I am not taking it anymore because it is far too strong for me even in half or quartered doses. I'm happy if it works for you, but for me this was not good.

August 27, 2014 3:40 AM

Review by RKTUQ:

It definitely calmed my anxiety but left me drowsy. I took 25mg once a day for two weeks and was able to function somewhat normally despite the fatigue factor. After two weeks, for some reason, it began making me so tired that I was unable to function during the day. I tried halving and even quartering the amount, but it still left me unable to stay awake during the day. When I was awake, I was lethargic and depressed.

August 18, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This little pill is amazing. It is one of the safest and most effective antianxiety medications I've ever been on. Pros: - Very effective - Works quickly - Safe - Doesn't make you drowsy - Can be taken as needed; not addictive and no withdrawls - Doesn't impair cognitive function - Also helps with allergies! Cons: - Primary side effects were dizziness and weight gain Notes: - I've found from personal experience that if I take it before bed I'm more likely to have nightmares - Do not quickly get up: slowly stand up, else you'll get extremely dizzy and might even fall over. - Do not take with other antihistamines: always check with your doctor or a pharmacist before taking allergy medicine. Would I recommend? Definitely!!

August 8, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by Joshx17 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): Even at massive doses of 200 mg I still didn't feel any relief at all from this. Benadryl or Unisom would be a better option to take for anxiety.

August 1, 2014 4:01 AM

Review by Monchie:

Atarax (hydroxyzine): I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety and to wean off Klonopin. It worked well at first but I have found that I've built a tolerance. One 50mg pill the first day helped, the next day I need two 50mg pills and now after 2 weeks in up to 200mg and it is no longer controlling my panic or anxiety.

July 29, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Dyl Dyl (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): I was pretty disappointed by Vistaril. I asked my psychiatrist about it hoping it helps in addition with the Zoloft I was taking to cure my itchiness, anxiety, sedation, and allergies. The only thing I saw improve were my allergies, and not by much. Yes I have only been on Vistaril 12 days, but still I was disappointed with the results. One Benadryl and one Zyrtec a night was more helpful than this. Oh well I guess I'll have to keep looking.

July 16, 2014 2:13 AM

Review by grumpybean (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm currently on this medication for anxiety plus Lexapro also for anxiety. It just makes me super sleepy which doesn't work for me with having a 6m old and a 6y old. I have horrible car anxiety and I took one 15-30 min before I had to go in the car and I broke down and cried and could not feel anything at all. I was not driving thank God. It just doesn't work for me but it does take the numbness tingly feeling I get from the Lexapro away. About the only good thing.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Tryphosa:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): This stuff was the pits. A half hour after I took my first pill, I was falling asleep. The tiredness became extremely intense. I had to cancel my plans for the evening and lay down. I was so crazy exhausted that I became anxious. I asked my prescriber for antianxiety medication. I have mild anxiety that makes me uncomfortable. This stuff just made me worse than a couch potato. Several hours later I got intestinal cramps. Then I started throwing up.

June 27, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by kakayyyy:

Pretty decent anti-anxiety medicine.

June 11, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by RadioVirus:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): I was prescribed Vistaril for bad panic attacks, as needed. I was put on Celexa, and less than an hour after taking it, I felt extreme fear and had the worst panic attack I've ever experienced. I called my doctor immediately and was told to go ahead and take the Vistaril. It calmed me down in less than 15 minutes. It did however, make me so drowsy that I found it impossible to stay awake. Thank goodness I have it on hand for my next attempt with Wellbutrin.

June 2, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by BreeKG:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): My experience with it. The medicine works great for itch relief (pruritis) and anxiety. I have Graves Disease, this was to treat anxiety temporarily after thyroid storm. The problem I had with it was it made me to doped feeling to function normally. I stayed tired and experienced grumpiness and lack of patience. I've taken Xanax, and Elavil before and definitely was able to work, socialize normally unlike this medicine, there is no way I can take it every four to six hours and function throughout the day. I've never been one to tolerate antihistamines very well, I get the shakes etc., and experienced the same with the Vistaril. All that aside, at night it did help me sleep, help the anxiety as it's supposed too.

May 8, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by jramp (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given this pill to help with anxiety and insomnia at school. I was given 50 mg and I took it and it completely knocked me out. It works great for helping me sleep, but waking up I was dizzy and had minor blurred vision, but that went away after about an hour.

April 22, 2014 11:23 PM

Review by tmanawo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): While this medicine is no where near as strong Klonopin or Xanax for my anxiety, I have found that taking a 50mg Vistaril does just enough to take the edge off.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 5:40 AM

Review by anxious_peaches (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): I took a 25 mg dose of this medicine for the first time last night. It took about 45 minutes to an hour before it made me sleepy although I was calmed within 15 minutes. I slept great-I usually wake up around 2am every night, but not last night. I slept until 9:30am which is rare for me. I did feel like a zombie for about an hour or 2 after I got up, but I didn't have any panic feelings during the day. I didn't feel 100% normal, but this was a pretty good start. I'm hopeful that the sleepiness is a transient effect and that some of my other physical symptoms go completely away.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by adelaossa:

Was having problems falling asleep. My doctor prescribed this medicine to help me sleep. Works great!

April 18, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): I took this medicine for the first time and I ended up dreaming a very romantic dream. It helps me with my panic/anxiety attacks, I would like to figure out what triggers my freaking out. Never Drive when You take Vistaril. It mellows You Out. Thank You.

April 1, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by tayalayabingbong:

Its worked 8/10 for my anxiety... its calmed down my anxiety significantly, but not completely. Although im not too fond of the zombie feeling... I just started it yesterday so we will see if that part goes away at any point. If by my next visit, I still feel tired all day I will be asking for something else.

March 11, 2014 9:51 PM