User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed this at a in patient drug rehab center. They wouldn't allow me to stay on my klonopin or any other"Benzos". I ended up being very sick and the rehab center sent me out to hospital after I had a seziure from withdrawal. The hospitalI was put in gave me a shot of valium. Then by mouth they put me on phenobarbital. Anyhow, the hydroxyzine did nothing for me personally. I never abused my klonopins or urgeso many people dying by taking handfuls of them is making it hard to find a psychiatrist who should know not all people on klonopin,xanax, etc. have anxiety they taste it for a buzz or to sell. It makes it hard on is who really do have panic/anxiety disorders, and P.T.S.D. I think hydroxyzine is nothing better then a benadryl."

MYKIDSAREMYLIFE04280610 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2016

"It didn't have much effect the first 2 nights but , after that I've had the most vivid dream state i have ever experienced & stay asleep throughout the entire night , sometimes I wake up well rested and there are times I wake up really drowsy. It kinda helps me calm down at night I haven't taken any during the day because I don't want to fall asleep during the day but overall it helps me a lot. Better than any other medication for insomnia that I have taken."

geny-r. (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

"Hydroxyzine and Benadryl saved my life!!! I took a trip for 4 months to Wisconsin. In the last month I was full blown with panic, sense of fear, insomnia, fear of being alone! I thought it must be from stress, but I was wrong! I left that state and returned to Florida, my home land, and again the insane anxiety, and after 2 trips to ER I was prescribed hydroxyzine. Walla my suicidal thoughts were gone! And now I can sense the symptoms coming and I pop a pill of either and I'm good. ❤"

Brito May 5, 2016

"This med is so wrong for me that i had tightness in both sides of my chest i freaked out .I am bi-polar and anxiety is very hard to live with. My chest got tight then it went in to a panic attack .Let it be used for what its meant for NOT FOR ME!!!!!"

T .KING (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I was prescribed Atarax taking 25mg up to 3x daily or as needed. The first few days it made me groggy and want to sleep and experience very vivid dreams and nightmares. After a few days the grogginess went away and it actually helped me function while having high anxiety and helped to calm me. I still experience nightmares more often than I'd like to but I'd rather be functioning daily so I keep taking it"

Happy4me May 5, 2016

"I have only been taking this medicine for 3 days now but I am extremely sensitive to medication so I usually know quite quickly how it effects me. It makes me extremely drowsy and also makes the bottom half of my face feel slightly numb. I also feel like I am about to pass out frequently which is not great. I hope it evens out after a while. It was prescribed to me to take the place of Xanax and to help me sleep. I was prescribed 25mg to take 1-2 twice daily as needed. I have already cut it down to 1 once a day about an hour before I go to bed. It does help me sleep, but it makes it difficult to wake up in the morning. It also helps with my anxiety."

Kat in a box April 29, 2016

"I was given this for my anxiety. I take it when I feel a really bad spell and 15 min later I am calmed down and can function again. I absolutely love it. It does not make me sleepy but I have seemed to have gotten more vivid dreams since being on it."

pillowz1109 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2016

"I was dealing with stress and anxiety super bad after my second baby was born, about 6 months ago...I was prescribed 25 mg to help. I would take the pill when I was feeling super stressed and anxious and felt soming, I guess, very subtle, I was hoping to feel an obvious calm about my body and thoughts...NOT with this med. I also had very vivid sacked out dreams and the worst part hands down is the fog of exhaustion I would feel the next day! Don't take this if you need to be productive or need quick relief from anxiety, at LEAST that's my experience."

Tabbitha (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

"I feel a little bit more calm, ofcourse it wont completly make your anxiety disdapear but i feel better than usual, it helps me sleep good, makes me have weird crazy dreams but not bad. I take it right before i close my eyes, its better to take it right exactly when you're going to sleep, i feel its more effective."

Judess April 22, 2016

"This stuff is retched. I was given this by my psychiatrist for insomnia and anxiety, while it worked okay for my insomnia the first couple of uses, it no longer does anything at all. It didn't do anything for my anxiety or panic. I took it when I started having a panic attack and I felt as though I was having an attack while encased in jello. It gave me an awful exhaustion hang over for days after taking it. It also gave me a tremor that still hasn't gone away. Honestly, it was insulting enough that I was prescribed an antihistamine for severe anxiety, but now I'm stuck with all my original issues and a tremor too."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"I love this medication, I've been on it for years and it does double duty for me- Both as an allergy medication and Anxiety. While I've built up a tolerance to if over the years, I love that it's non-addictive and calms my mind enough that I can relax. While it doesn't make me sleepy, it does allow me to be calm and after an episode of high anxiety, this often does lead me to sleep. While not for everyone, I personally love it."

Shae81 April 19, 2016

"hydroxyzine is totally worthless. cain't afford to waste money on scrips that don't work"

pumpkin2222 April 13, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Really good!!!!! I like atarax. Because: not addictive, makes me calm (and sleepy), calms anger restlessness and anxiety altogether. I am also on cymbalta and without cymbalta the atarax would probably be less effective. Atarax is my go-to when im anxious and i love it:)"

Elliotndbfjf (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

"This medication is for my anxiety it knocks me out. I cannot function while on it. My doctor even halfed the dosage. It doesn't help. I don't think I'll ever take it again."

Bran8622 April 10, 2016

"This drug is so incredibly strong. I was prescribed 25 mg for anxiety. I tried it for the first time tonight and I felt the effects after an hour. It made me feel even more anxious because it was so strong and I was not expecting it to be like this. It feels like a really strong/weird high. I was having a little issues breathing and I was seriously considering going to the ER. If you have bad anxiety I would not recommend this drug. I did however pass out after 3 hours and I had the coolest dream! I just woke up after about 3 hours of sleep, even though the purpose was to keep me asleep. If you do take this drug, I recommend taking it at night because you will pass out and be extremely slow and sluggish. I'm just happy to be alive!! :)"

Calibali77 April 7, 2016

"I was given hydroxyzine as an alternative to lorazepam since my doctor told me I need to start taking a non addictive alternative. I take my pills at night to help calm my mind so I can go to sleep. Well, the hydroxyzine made me incredibly drowsy and didn't much help with my anxiety. I got to sleep but I remember not being able to get certain images out of my head and the dreams were a little vivid. When I woke up in the morning I was still drowsy, almost as if I didn't just sleep 8 hours. The drowsiness lasted all day and that was the last time I took that medication. Would not recommend for anxiety."

Hydroxyzine is bad April 4, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I was given Vistaril for PTSD/AAD (Acute Anxiety Disorder) and I really don't like it. Initially it helps with anxiety but if I am stressed at all or put in a situation with stress its so much worse than without the medicine. It also makes it really difficult to function normally; I feel like I'm wading through jello and my brain is about 4 seconds behind. We are going to try Xanax at my next visit."

Anonymous April 3, 2016

"My Dr prescribed me with hydroxyzine for sleep and anxiety and it works but the next day you feel too tired and if you suffer from depression it can make you some what suicidal because it made me feel very foggy and I couldn't focus or concentrate on anything"

Noach28 April 2, 2016

"It has been a breathe of fresh air!!!!!! No yelling or other offensive moves and I can be at peace for 1 time I've taken 2 tablet's 3 time's a day "

Wayneg1973 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "My GP prescribed this for anxiety and directed that I take it every 8 hours. Now I have dealt with anxiety and severe panic attacks need immediate relief. This medication was not the one to do that for me. It made me very drowsy and at the same time I still had anxiety. This is not for someone who has a busy schedule because it will sedate you. I think this medication should only be used for its initial intent to control itching. Otherwise it was a waste for me."

Lcowan7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "This med causes me severe headaches and helps with anxiety some but the pain in my head only grows worse each day along with blurred vision and highly increased appetite and dry mouth. Not worth the daily headaches. Using an antihistamine for anxiety and blood pressure meds like clonidine, said to help with my adhd that does nothing for my focus, is a mixture of insanity. Im over the vistaril after a month of more intense headaches everyday."

Spazkay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

"Unfortunately this medication disrupted my entire day at work the next day, and I felt very depressed and exhausted. This is supposedly a safe medication but my experience was not positive"

Consumer123 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "My psych. put me on this yesterday and I took it today for the first time this morning. It made me feel cloudy all day and it made my anxiety worse. Ativan works way better! Never taking Vistaril ever again!"

Guy45678949 March 6, 2016

"I started this medication last night and was put on it for Anxiety. 20 minutes after taking it I got really relaxed but then the relaxation started turning into a battle to stay awake. I felt a little weird while on it, like I was floating. I had to lay in bed, which I was able to fall asleep incredibly fast. I slept for about 7 hours before I had to get up to use the restroom. The hang over the next day was horrible, I ended up staying in bed all morning, not sleepy but too groggy to get up and start my day. I'm not sure if this is going to work for my anxiety but it works great for getting sleep."

Girl in Washington March 5, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Vistaril is a horrible medication for anxiety it does absolutely nothing benzos work the best"

sammyboy88 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016