User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I was prescribed this for my anxiety disorder, and I'm really disappointed. It did absolutely nothing for me, which for obvious reasons, is frustrating in times of extreme anxiety. Taking a "rescue medication" and help never coming was hard for me personally. Others say it works great, but I suppose it depends on the person."

Alyabnormal (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I was given this medication in the emergency room for the anxiety I was having. It did nothing for me. I'm bipolar plus I have anxiety. I'm looking for something new. I was on klonopin but was taken off of it because it's highly addictive. I had taken that for 24 years. That helped a lot. I'm disappointed that atarax didn't work."

Skinny girl February 6, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, and I am also breast feeding baby #4. (I also suffer from Severe Post Partum Depression beginning late in my pregnancies.) I have been on over 50 combinations of medications. (I caution you readers to be leery of reviews by those who prior took addictive medications to Vistaril, as they may have formed a biased addiction to their previous meds.) I am currently taking Prozac and Vistaril. My best medication combination when not pregnant or breast feeding was Prozac and Doxepin. The Vistaril is helping so greatly with both my anxiety and insomnia that I am switching permanently! I can even take Vistaril if my anxiety flares, plus it is not addictive! Loving it!!!"

Sam I am. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

"I am very pleased with Hydroxyzine. It is non-addictive & it always helps with my panic attacks & anxiety. It doesn't always get rid my anxiety completely, but it definitely takes the edge off of it, which is enough to help me function. The only side effect I sometimes get is dry mouth, so make sure to drink plenty of water if that happens to you. Biotene mouthwash also helps with that. Hydroxyzine can make you sleepy, so don't try to drive or do anything productive, until you see how it affects you."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

"I just took this for the first time about 2 hours ago. I read a lot of the reviews on this site before starting to take it and saw a lot of negative posts on the pill and on its effects. Going into it, I didn't expect it to "cure" or completely "rid" me of anxiety like I feel like a lot of other reviewers on here did, which lead to their negative takes on it. I more so just wanted to see how I would respond. I found that it took about an hour (maybe a little less) to kick in. I also found that it calmed me down quite a lot. I only took a 25mg capsule. I've seen a lot of reviewers saying that it "sedated" them. I didn't feel deadly tired, just nice and calm. First time all day not feeling anxiety. So I give this one a thumbs up."

miriamdelirium (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "This stuff is like an OTC version of Benadryl (it's an anti-histamine). It has been helping me ween off of the Klonopin I've been taking to help me sleep for the last 2 years. This stuff takes almost an hour to kick in, but when it does, it almost always kills my anxiety at times when benzos didn't. If you're gonna take it for sleep, take it at least an hour before you plan on going to bed and make sure you have 8 to 9 hours to sleep because it will knock you out. Grogginess is it's biggest negative, along with tolerance building up fast, so I try to take every other day if I can, though it's non-addictive and safe to take regularly at least far safer than a benzo."

brett84c (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"I have been on this med for a week and so far, so good. It is working much better than Buspar, which I was using for 6 months which is good for mild anxiety, but not for extreme anxiety (IMO). Of course, Klonopin is the best but it is an addictive Benzo and docs dont like prescribing it...too bad, cause that would be rated a 10!"

Denisenini (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

"I went to the hospital today and was prescribed Vistasil 25mg 4 times a day, but before checking out of the hospital I was given 50mg(the green and white capsule) and everything was ok until after dinner, I had palpitations (the #1 thing I ended up in the hospital) and chest pain little to mild didn't last long, and I took my bp readings while I was experiencing this and my bp was 132/84 HR 109(prehypertension), I don't have high blood pressure so yeah it was weird and scary!"

Palpitations Girl (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I'm on 6 different medications for anxiety/depression/personality disorder. Have been for 7 years now. Atarax being the most recently added. Love it. I'm used to very strong medications and this one helps calm me without making me feel too tired"

6pillschick6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

"This stuff is terrible. A few months ago, my Dr. prescribed me 25mg....it actually makes my anxiety worse. To top that, my legs get so restless I can barely hold still. The funny part is, it does make me tired....but it's like it's not blocking the anxiety. It's so frustrating, I'm ready to flush the remainder down the toilet where it belongs!"

LynnetteH January 22, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "This stuff is useless. I keep it around because it does wonders for my hay-fever. As to anxiety I'll stick with serax or xanax."

Rick59rcm.219 January 16, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication when I suffered a severe anxiety attack. I had mild attacks before, but I honestly thought I would die that day. I took one pill and it knocked me out for 12 hours! I was sitting in class a week later and I felt another anxiety attack coming on so, remembering what happened with the last pill, I bit the pill in half and took the smaller piece. It knocked me out for 8 hours!!! Good thing I didn't have to work that day! I have never taken anything for my anxiety previously but I wanted to get my attacks under control. I discovered meditation works best! If you have never tried it...find a local class and sit through it!! I promise it will help you find the peace you are seeking!!"

Kyl January 15, 2016

"Hydroxyzine was the first medication I was put on for anxiety. It was a 25mg pill that I took 3 times a day. It didn't do a lot for my anxiety at all, it only made me really tired. I would sleep all day and all night. It obviously did help with my insomnia, however I needed a medication that would calm me down and keep me awake. I was only on this medication for about a week until it broke me out in hives."

lkdjflsdafj January 13, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication by my doctor for on-the-spot anxiety as opposed to constant anxiety because I expressed disinterest in daily doses of anti-depressants and similar medications. This is my first time trying it as I write this review. To make it short and sweet, I rated this 6/10 not because it didn't work very well, but because it took about an hour for me to feel the full effect. It gets bonus points for NOT causing nausea or any negative side effects that I can sense, unless you consider drowsiness one. Since I took mine at night, it was a plus for my insomnia. Made me very groggy, but not -too- sluggish feeling. Definitely enough to put you out if you lay down. I feel very mellow and generally decent."

Lexi (whose name was taken) January 13, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Literally did nothing for my anxiety. Made me really sleepy but not sleepy enough to pass out. It just made me super sluggish."

sweetpjeb23 January 11, 2016

"I have social/general anxiety and insomnia. For the first week 50mg of Hydroxizine knocked me out at night for 10-12 hours. Now it is not working as well as it is causing restless legs AND arms. I've been able to take less Prozac (from 20mg to 10) and less Trazodone(100mg. to 50) without side effects, I hope to discontinue those. I am allergic to most everything, hydroxyzine helps with those (even cat allergy!) I'm not energetic but will discontinue other meds as they add to that in combination of all. Wasn't nervous at husbands large family holiday get together which was REALLY NICE! (50mg) Also most importantly, completely fixes the inability to achieve orgasm noted from Prozac "

Debbit (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "This has made my anxiety worse. I feel this terrible high. I don't even feel like myself. My body is twitching and I been crying for 3 hours. It is really scaring me. I feel out of this world and not in a good way."

Kimmh00 January 5, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have anxiety and did not realise till I took only a 1/4 of my 25ml tab how much it was effecting me. Today I have felt more able and productive and had a day without anxiety feels amazing. I did have at least 2 memorable dreams that night. I have noticed a slight dry mouth and eyes. This being said I do have ckd and will be going back to docs to make sure kidneys are not being affected and also to ask for the liquid version of this as the other ingredients list more to my preference.... no colour additives from what I've read."

Clareclareclare January 4, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have bad anxiety, did not work at all for me, been on buspar, trazadone, xanax, and klonopin. Xanax and klonopin work best."

sanni7936 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Still have anxiety, but my nose has stopped running."

cyd222 December 27, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "For anyone taking this medication, do not take it with any kind of antidepressants or mood medication like Celexa, zoloft, tegretol, Xanax, or abilify. Definitely do not take it with ambien. It works wonders by itself, I've been on it since 2005 it helps with the anxiety symptoms I get from my PTSD. Anytime I feel disoriented or way to anxious where I'm throwing up, it usually takes about 30 to 40 minutes to work. But it's better than the feeling of thinking that you are having a heart attack, because it's just panic. Panic attacks can be managed many ways I use breathing techniques, (child breathing will not work lol) meditation, and medication. This is how I deal with that small aspect of my PTSD psychosis."

soldier man (taken for 10 years or more) December 27, 2015

"I take it often since I have anxiety a lot at school but now I have been very itchy and have had loss of appetite.. It doesn't work that well for anxiety and these side effects are horrible. (It's an as needed)"

Anonymous December 25, 2015

"I was prescribed this as an as needed a long with a daily but the daily made me so sleepy I couldn't get up with my son so I take this when I can tell its gonna be one of those days that we all know too well. After taking about 15 of them over about 3 months I can say it doesn't work for me at all. I continue to have anxiety attacks even when I take it only a couple hours before I have an attack I also asked for something that wouldn't make me sleepy or feel weird and I feel sleepy every time I take it and my hubby tells me that I talk in my sleep when I take it and I always feel bad the day after "

purple monkey December 20, 2015

"No negative side effects as of yet. On the other hand, not very many good ones either. It seems to have only worked the first time I took it and it only made me slightly sleepy at best but did make my heart rate go down and it has helped with my withdrawals from benzos."

Mrs_Guru_561 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2015

"I was on Citalopram and it caused my anxiety to get worse.. My doctor put me on this "as needed" and it has worked wonders! I take it with my Lamotrigine (Lamictol)."

Anxious Bipolar December 13, 2015