User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 610 medications used in the treatment of Allergies.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Allergies

"I was prescribed this medication when I was 7 years old to treat my skin allergies and it really helps me. It's the kind of medicine that relaxes you and clears your tension to the point where it makes you very sleepy. A major side effect of this drug is that it causes drowsiness so it would be best to take it maybe 2 hours prior to your bed time. I also always wake up very hungry and I believe it has something to do with your hormones. It can be taken to reduce anxiety, help insomnia, or maybe even increasing your appetite. Never experienced anything bad from it. Been on the medication for 12 years."

Ash28376 (taken for 10 years or more) May 17, 2016

"I normally take Allegra and Flonase for my allergies. However, when I have breakthrough allergic symptoms, all I have to do is take a small dose of hydroxyzine (10 mg) and I feel significantly better within half an hour. Granted, it does make me feel somewhat sedated. However, that's pretty much a given for all first generation antihistamines. Furthermore, it makes me feel less out of it than Benadryl does. And, unlike Benadryl, hydroxyzine doesn't make my asthma worse; it actually improves my lung function! It does make me feel sleepy for at least 8 hours, but my allergies make me feel sleepy anyway, so this side effect doesn't really matter."

TheInsecureFrog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

"I itch day and night I tried lotion it relieves a little and I told my doctor that I've taken a lot of allergies pills and still itch Doctor started on me on 180 mg Vistaril and itching is controlled and so are my allergies even though I fall asleep I take it twice a day which I need it to control all over itching because sometimes it's so bad I scratched ."

BrownCrush (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It works as sleeping pill!! rather then for allergic!!"

sanjeevS February 25, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have used this medication for anxiety allergies and to halp me fall asleep for 14 years, and have not had any reaction other than those needed. Now the insurance states that it is not appropriate for use in the elderly. I am 69."

aleras (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2015

"This medication was prescribed to me in may (2015) 150mg as needed to treat anxiety but my pharmacist also said that it also treats allergies such as skin conditions. I take 50mg at night for sleep because of anxiety and I sleep really good at night. I usually have a eczema breakout in really cold winters and humid summers. Ever since I started this med I have not had any skin allergies. This med also works well for detox such as xanax and clonopin addiction. People who whine about this med not working its probably because u haven't been on it long enough for the med to work I asked my pharmacist about it"

LilLotus (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

"My 4 1/2 year old started taking this when he was 2 for a severe dust mite allergy. He takes the maximum dose for his weight. It does help tremendously. If he misses a dose, his skin breaks out in a rash. Unfortunately for him, it has the opposite effect than it does with most people. It causes hyperactivity and insomnia."

mmoooommm July 20, 2015

"I absolutely love this medicine, it has changed my life. I have had eczema since I was a baby and extremely sensitive skin, to the point where my clothes bother me and just little things that make me very irritable. I started this medication as a liquid when I was three years old, now I am 18 and I take it as a pill everyday. To anyone out there that is questioning taking it, I highly recommend. I haven't had many side effects but I will warn you, depending on the dosage it basically puts you to sleep. I take it right before I go to sleep and I dont recommend taking it at any other time."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) October 22, 2014

"I have just recently started taking this for allergies that leaves me with hives and/or rashes. I have found it very effective, it doesn't take long before it starts working. I have realized that it does sedate me and/or is very effective, its very hard to wake up while under the influence of this medicine."

TeeBabii June 19, 2014

"This medicine is way too powerful for my issue. I was attacked by bedbugs and given this prescription for itching. I am overly tired, get dizzy spells, and have had consecutive nightmares. It works if you plan on spending the next 24 hours at home."

Ediddit (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2014

"My sinus drainage wouldn't stop with Benadryl and decided to try hydroxyzine at 50mg every 8 hours. But within 5 hours my sinus started draining again. Every six hours worked fine then after two days, the drainage was under control. Helped me sleep better at night and side effects were minimal."

DRDU January 8, 2014

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have medicine and food allergies."

Tulaya December 8, 2013

"Best thing I have ever had to help with my allergies just love it."

kittylove25 November 13, 2013

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Used this medicine during a course of pain management, it helped tremendously with the itchy feeling you get from opioid medication. It was just short term use but made a great impact!"

twofunfeet July 26, 2013

"I get giant hives that cause me to have to go to the emergency room. Hydroxyzine helps to prevent this, and it relieves the itching. I do get sleepy, but it wears off."

tRAVELDIVA27 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2013

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Best antihistamine ever, excellent for anyone who suffers from viral hives."

CarrieHC (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2012

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I took ATARAX when a child and started taking this medicine again approximately 2 years ago, from my Allergist. I have tried basically all modern oral prescription medicines (& those which have become over-the-counter). My Allergies induce ASTHMA! I take specifically created Allergy Antigen Shots (2 per wk/2 different vials) from Allergist which help greatly. Normally, unless I live on the coast, I'm bothered from indoor (dust, mold), outdoor (weeds, plants), & food allergies in the warm (non-frost/freezing) months. Each yr Allergies have become worse. I can take this 1 tab 1x per day or 2 pills at once if having a severe attack. I certainly recommend having an Allergist Dr, in addition to your reg Gen.Practice Dr. This Rx does NOT make me sleepy, though people say it can."

Europa (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2012

"I was prescribed hydroxyzine by my dermatologist because I am severely allergic to insect venom. I live in Hawaii and am often bit by a number of creepy crawler. Even flea bites will cause me to break out and have difficulty breathing. I have found this medication very helpful in helping me in keeping me from itching and reducing the anxiety that can be caused when I have a lot of bites. I also use a steroid cream. The combination of the two has worked wonders for me and put an end to insomnia I used to experience as a result of being so itchy at night."

Anonymous May 9, 2012

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Seems to work quite well on my allergies as well as on hives"

Ron112 April 2, 2012

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Makes me VERY drowsy."

Anonymous March 16, 2012

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Best ever for stopping itch of eczema. Got to get used to the sleepiness, but gets better after long term use."

Anonymous December 8, 2011

Hyzine (hydroxyzine): "For allergies I give this medicine a perfect score, however the side effects bring my rating down. I suffer from seasonal allergies and most over the counter medicines work, but have limited and sometimes almost no effect. Hydroxyzine was prescribed to me for a skin condition but I quickly realized that I didn't sneeze or sniffle for upwards of 3 days on one 25mg dose. The side effects for me are heavy drowsiness when combined with alcohol or a few nights inadequate night sleep (where I would normally be "ok" with coffee). Sometimes taking it before bed helps, sometimes it doesn't. I also feel removed and emotionless on occasion. These feeling gets worse the longer I am on the medication. I don't get sad or happy - it's weird."

Anonymous September 3, 2011

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Works great against allergy (25mg) and also somewhat against asthma (due to the anticholinergic properties: dilates the airways). When taking Atarax I can reduce the amount of asthma reliever medication (terbutaline). Side effects: Drowsiness (in the beginning), headache (disappeared after the third pill), muscle twitches and some muscle aches."

the_chemist June 23, 2011