User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 750 medications used in the treatment of Allergies.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Allergies

Review by TeeBabii:

I have just recently started taking this for allergies that leaves me with hives and/or rashes. I have found it very effective, it doesn't take long before it starts working. I have realized that it does sedate me and/or is very effective, its very hard to wake up while under the influence of this medicine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 4:25 AM

Review by Ediddit (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine is way too powerful for my issue. I was attacked by bedbugs and given this prescription for itching. I am overly tired, get dizzy spells, and have had consecutive nightmares. It works if you plan on spending the next 24 hours at home.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2014 6:38 AM

Review by DRDU:

My sinus drainage wouldn't stop with Benadryl and decided to try hydroxyzine at 50mg every 8 hours. But within 5 hours my sinus started draining again. Every six hours worked fine then after two days, the drainage was under control. Helped me sleep better at night and side effects were minimal.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2014 2:08 PM

Review by Tulaya:

Atarax (hydroxyzine): I have medicine and food allergies.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 12:12 AM

Review by kittylove25:

Best thing I have ever had to help with my allergies just love it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2013 12:52 AM

Review by twofunfeet:

Atarax (hydroxyzine): Used this medicine during a course of pain management, it helped tremendously with the itchy feeling you get from opioid medication. It was just short term use but made a great impact!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by tRAVELDIVA27 (taken for less than 1 month):

I get giant hives that cause me to have to go to the emergency room. Hydroxyzine helps to prevent this, and it relieves the itching. I do get sleepy, but it wears off.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2013 5:24 PM

Review by CarrieHC (taken for less than 1 month):

Atarax (hydroxyzine): Best antihistamine ever, excellent for anyone who suffers from viral hives.

December 31, 2012 6:02 AM

Review by Europa (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Atarax (hydroxyzine): I took ATARAX when a child and started taking this medicine again approximately 2 years ago, from my Allergist. I have tried basically all modern oral prescription medicines (& those which have become over-the-counter). My Allergies induce ASTHMA! I take specifically created Allergy Antigen Shots (2 per wk/2 different vials) from Allergist which help greatly. Normally, unless I live on the coast, I'm bothered from indoor (dust, mold), outdoor (weeds, plants), & food allergies in the warm (non-frost/freezing) months. Each yr Allergies have become worse. I can take this 1 tab 1x per day or 2 pills at once if having a severe attack. I certainly recommend having an Allergist Dr, in addition to your reg Gen.Practice Dr. This Rx does NOT make me sleepy, though people say it can.

October 18, 2012 1:24 PM

I was prescribed hydroxyzine by my dermatologist because I am severely allergic to insect venom. I live in Hawaii and am often bit by a number of creepy crawler. Even flea bites will cause me to break out and have difficulty breathing. I have found this medication very helpful in helping me in keeping me from itching and reducing the anxiety that can be caused when I have a lot of bites. I also use a steroid cream. The combination of the two has worked wonders for me and put an end to insomnia I used to experience as a result of being so itchy at night.

May 9, 2012 3:11 AM

Review by Ron112:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): Seems to work quite well on my allergies as well as on hives

April 2, 2012 8:50 AM

Atarax (hydroxyzine): Makes me VERY drowsy.

March 16, 2012 5:02 PM

Atarax (hydroxyzine): Best ever for stopping itch of eczema. Got to get used to the sleepiness, but gets better after long term use.

December 8, 2011 12:08 PM

Hyzine (hydroxyzine): For allergies I give this medicine a perfect score, however the side effects bring my rating down. I suffer from seasonal allergies and most over the counter medicines work, but have limited and sometimes almost no effect. Hydroxyzine was prescribed to me for a skin condition but I quickly realized that I didn't sneeze or sniffle for upwards of 3 days on one 25mg dose. The side effects for me are heavy drowsiness when combined with alcohol or a few nights inadequate night sleep (where I would normally be "ok" with coffee). Sometimes taking it before bed helps, sometimes it doesn't. I also feel removed and emotionless on occasion. These feeling gets worse the longer I am on the medication. I don't get sad or happy - it's weird.

September 3, 2011 12:35 AM

Review by the_chemist:

Atarax (hydroxyzine): Works great against allergy (25mg) and also somewhat against asthma (due to the anticholinergic properties: dilates the airways). When taking Atarax I can reduce the amount of asthma reliever medication (terbutaline). Side effects: Drowsiness (in the beginning), headache (disappeared after the third pill), muscle twitches and some muscle aches.

June 23, 2011 11:39 AM