User Reviews for Exalgo

Learn more about Exalgo.

Exalgo review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Exalgo to treat Chronic Pain

Review by catten (taken for less than 1 month):

Too strong

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 9:53 PM

Review by DOC USMC (taken for less than 1 month):

I was a Corpsman with a 2nd Marine infantry battalion, and I was wounded in Iraq by an IED, I broke 2 vertebrae in neck, 2 in back, 5 herniated disc's, a lot of nerve damage and shrapnel. I was wounded January 8,2008 and have been on Percocet 10mg for 6 years and have had over 60 surgeries and 200 injections and physical therapy. I have had no relief from pain. I had thought about suicide because I hurt so bad. So I quit my pain dr and went to another. He looked at all my documentation of injuries and treatments. He said simply on my first day "you have paid your dues, I'm going to give you 30 12mg Exalgo ER a month with 120 oxycodone 10mg for breakthrough pain. I have only taken for 4 days the Exalgo and I feel no pain.

May 19, 2014 1:02 AM

Review by Knightflyer57 (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started on Exalgo ER 12mg's. After fooling around with Lortab AND morphine CR for years, which would only dull my pain( Shot out of the sky in Nam) as well as a major car accident, I have found or rather my fantastic neurologist decided to go with this. I have been able to sleep a full evening(8Hrs) and not wake up with a hang-over effect. I am after 26 years narcotic tolerant so I was quite skeptical about this expensive medicine. Well, I am a believer. I just pray that it will last a year or two before it becomes useless to me. An operation to repair my back only has a 80/20 chance of even helping me. 80% being the negative. If you are tired of the pill counting or a few days withdrawal which I have been through. Ask your Doc.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2014 11:22 PM

Review by David256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been taking narcotics for chronic pain for about 25 years now. I started with Tylenol with codeine and have progressed through just about everything (morphine, oxycodone, Dilaudid, Oxycontin, Fentanyl patches, etc.). My pain management doctor had me on 60 mg of Oxycontin 3 X daily and it worked (somewhat) for a while until I developed a tolerance and it too became ineffective. So the doctor switched me to 16 mg. Exalgo 2 X daily. I was resistant at first, mainly because of reducing the number of doses per day but after I took it for a few days I was amazed. I don't wake up in excruciating pain anymore and, even though the effects are subtle and come on slowly, it works better in controlling my pain than anything else I've used.

February 23, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by suziem43:

My pain management doctor switched me to this medicine 2 days ago. It's a miracle. I have been on everything. I was taking Oxycontin 80mg 2 x per day along with 30mg oxycodone every 4 hrs for breakthrough pain. I felt the difference within hrs. I suffer chronic pain due to my back. I've had 5 spinal fusion surgeries.

January 4, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by ROB24 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

In chronic pain, since injury in 1999. Surgery did not help. Like many I was on different narcotics for years . Started Exalgo in 2012 and have found it does work. Some say it gives 24 hr relief, but I think it more of a 16-18 hr.

December 3, 2013 2:42 PM

Review by lbp102:

I have CRPS stage 3 in my left arm and left foot. I started on 16mg a day of exalgo, then up to 12 2xday, now 16 2xday for 32mg a day. I found the 2x a day was the key for this medicine since its takes a long time to start so the next dose 12 hours apart really helped. I'm just starting the 32mg a day since my crps spread to my entire left arm so I'm hoping I don't eventually get to the 32mg 2x/day.. has anyone else taken that much?

October 25, 2013 4:22 PM

Review by RedDawn329 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started taking Exalgo in June 2011 for chronic kidney/flank pain. I started with 8mg once/day. Increased to 12mg in March 2012. Then increased to 16mg in July 2013. I call Exalgo my miracle. I like taking the ER pill rather than popping pills all day long. I've tried so many different opiates, but I much prefer Dilaudid to all the others. I also take 4mg Dilaudid (hydromorphone) as needed for breakthrough pain. Best of luck to anyone suffering from chronic pain, it's a terrible way to live, but Exalgo definitely increased my quality of life, I hope it can do the same for you!

August 25, 2013 11:49 AM

Review by Bubba 84:

I have been in so much pain over the past 2 yrs. My neurologist has tried EVERYTHING! I have taken every medication there is. Every narcotic available. Nothing has helped except my oxycodone 15x5 a day and it just took the edge off. My doctor put my on Exalgo along with my oxycodone for breakthrough pain and I started to feel normal again. I was told I have small fiber neuropathy along with a list of other horrible things and I can say without a doubt that this medicine has been a miracle for me. I have gone from not being able to walk from time to time and being in so much pain to feeling normal again. Don't get me wrong. I still hurt but hey I can handle this hurt! What a blessing!

June 9, 2013 6:46 AM

Review by HimmyCat (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on Exalgo for about 3 weeks now and the difference is amazing. I have chronic pancreatitis and the pain from that is just unbearable...the worst I've ever experienced. I had been taking 15 mg oxycodone on an every-8-hour regimen with 2 mg Dilaudid as needed for breakthrough pain. The oxycodone had lost it's effectiveness and I was having more and more pain that was becoming more and more difficult to control. When my doctor suggested Exalgo, I agreed to try it. Once my insurance authorized it, I got the prescription filled. I had to take 2 mg Dilaudid every 4-8 hours for a few days while the Exalgo build up but once it did, my pain went from a 7 to a 3 on the pain scale. Wow.

June 3, 2013 3:03 AM

All I have to say is, give them a bit of time to work. Especially if you were on high doses of another opiate. Your body will not even feel them for the first 4 or 5 days. I was taking 3x40mgs of methadone along with 6x15mgs of oxycodone per day for 4 years until I had a heart attack. My dr. sent me for an EKG and my "QT" interval was in the 500s along with leg and body swelling, tightness in the chest along with severe constipation (most likely from methadone). Once they got me weaned down of the methadone they prescribed 2x16mg Exalgo per day keeping the oxycodone as breakthrough. I started taking them as directed with no relief and I felt nauseous with afternoon headaches. At the 4th day I started feeling more relief. Give me time.

November 17, 2012 2:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked great for my back pain but had a whole slew of bad side effects including Anxiety, panic attacks, mental/mood changes, suicidal thoughts. Never have been subject to depression or suicidal thoughts before. Had to be taken off the med immediately when we realized that it was what was causing me to have all these problems.

November 11, 2012 12:52 AM