User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Hydrochlorothiazide Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 348 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide to treat High Blood Pressure

"I had been having issues with my Blood Pressure and edema so my doctor started me on this medication. I took it for about three months and went to a regular appointment for lab work. My potassium level was 1.6. I spent 4 days in the VA hospital and was taken of this medication and started on spironolactone. Also added potassium tablets too. This one is a potassium wasting diuretic. I rated it an 8 even though it didn't work well on me. It did do the job but the side effects were dangerous for me. Many people have no problem with them."

Terry5037 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

"l love hyd. I'm 59 my b/P is very good like a younger person 120/73"

landesmonnd May 16, 2016

"I have been taking 25 mg a day for years and my blood pressure is always normal and I definitely don't retain water, so it's an excellent diuretic."

lexus985 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

"I just started taking this medicine about a week ago. I'm 34 years old, healthy, active, and we believe my high blood pressure is attributed to genetics. I was adopted, so I am unsure whether or not I have a biological history of hbp. After a year or monitoring my bp, I finally decided that I needed to see the doc about it. He originally prescribed me Lisinopril, in which I became lightheaded and dizzy, so he switched me to HCTZ starting off at 6.25mg(dividing the 12.5mg dosage). The day after I took my first dose, my bp had already went down to normal levels. I was amazed. I really didn't experience anything else other than going to the bathroom more often, which isn't too inconvenient for me. But now I'm beginning to feel lazy."

modernwarpaint May 2, 2016

"Be very careful! With in an hour of taking the first dose my husband was in a coma and never recovered."

Ccbb April 22, 2016

"I've been taking Hydrochlorothiazide for six months. I started out taking it with breakfast, but noticed it makes me a little sleepy and droopy. I switched to taking it at bedtime, and noticed I slept better. However, when I told my doctor this, he told me to take it in the morning because it will make you excrete excess fluid. I switched back, and have the same results. I've noticed only a slight drop in my blood pressure. That might be because I'm struggling to eat a healthy diet. I have good days and bad days."

hweygs (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

"side effects RARE"

persh March 27, 2016

"This medication causes me to sweat profusely. It was so bad water was dripping off my hair and I was sweating all over my body. The sweating makes me miserable and I believe dehydrated When I tell the dr they just ignore me. It does not cause me to go to the bathroom more often but I'm probably sweating it off I was taking 25 mg. I also have type 2 diabetes. I saw diabetics shouldn't take this. I had taken it for years before I was sweating then too."

Emaw34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

"I am completing my 5th year of taking 25mg Hydrochlorothiazide - with 1 tablet daily each morning, at times taken with and at others without food. In such respect, I am not aware of having experienced any noticeable effects - positive or negative - at any time. In year two, I came off the medication for some 20 days. CVS renews the 90-day prescription refills with automatic reminders. I happen to delay for more than two weeks with my picking up that refill but experienced no discerning effects with my sudden stopping or upon renewing the daily dosage."

JTH/NY March 20, 2016

"I have been on this medicine for 2 days now. The second day of taking 5 hours after i took it. I had allergic reaction. Dizzy, dry mouth, heart racing and felt like I was about to faint. Anxiety panic attacks. Very scary medicine. I advise nobody to take this poison. I'm going back to my Dr. Changing this Asap."

Anonymous March 7, 2016

"I have been taking 50 mg of Metoprolol Succ for 5 years and my blood pressure recently became very variable. At times it was very well controlled but then it would spike.My cardiologist added 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily. I'd taken it years ago and it caused my sodium to go quite low-122. The doctor that prescribed stopped This doctor convinced me to try it again and she would check my sodium and potassium. I took it for three days and developed several side effects including dizziness, vision changes, mild chest pain, severe constipation and both upper and lower abdominal pains. Doctor said stop it. i checked my diary and sure enough I'd been having severe constipation and abdominal pain last time I took it."

tomie581 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"Very good med. I was on amlodipine and that nearly killed me. Now im on these 12.5 water pillsi feel much better. Ive lost 5 pounds in 2 days"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"This med was added to enhance my present ace inhibitor (Enalapril 20mg/2x daily) to reduce my BP. Recently,I became extremely ill with a viral sinus infection and ultimately my BP spiked because of fighting this wicked infection. The physician thought it may be prudent to lower the BP so HCTZ was added to the regiment of treatment @ 25mg per day. I've been on it for 3 weeks. BP is normal but it was normal before the infection on Enalapril . I am in good health, eat right and exercise. I can't believe the side effects. Extreme fatigue, nausea, gastric pains, muscle pains, weakness, anxiety and on and on. I contacted the physician today and she immediately removed me from the med. Be careful and be watchful if this med!!"

superdude3574 February 20, 2016

"Works with my lisinopril to lower my high blood pressure. Really bad dry mouth & throat the first week. Also I pee ALL the time. My tummy has gotten smaller and I fit into pants I could never wear."

Lumy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

"Well I've been on this medication 25mg for about a week... I started to have side affects about two days in like extreme dry mouth like I woke up in the Mojave desert or something. And I still have the side affect so I keep a bottle water handy at night. 2-3 day I stated to feel the mild cramps on my legs but it's gone away so it's temporary I guess. As for urinating regular not sure if it's not high enough or what. Cause I have not noticed any loss of water I have been retaining. Really disappointed so I'll keep taking this med for another two weeks if I don't notice anything I'm off it. Cause it hadn't worked. Oh well I guess let's see what happens."

doesitreallywork (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"hair loss, tiredness, constipation"

IleneDale December 31, 2015

"I went on it with my BP at 145/100 several years ago and it lowered it while eating a standard American diet. A few years ago, I started eating a whole foods diet (limiting processed foods) and had to take myself off the medicine because I would become faint when standing up. Fast forward to a trip to Vegas in March of 2015. I went off the bus and fell back into the standard american diet having long ago stopped regularly monitoring my BP. Four days ago, I woke up with a headache and called parents to inform them that wouldn't be making to Turkey Day dinner. Still had some pills remaining and took 50mg a day since along with 2 day fast and eating whole foods again. It's down to 124/80 after being at 201/113 four days ago. I'm reducing to"

TomInOhio November 30, 2015

"my first week using this medicine I lose 5 pounds with out excise im on day three and my stomach going down I don't have no side effects yet because I drink two cups a pill then eat something a drink another cup it's lower my blood pressure really good but if I lay down I get a little tired thts it"

cherry blooms (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

"I was diagnosed with HBP in late August and was prescribed HCTZ. For the past two months, I experienced nausea and dizziness almost every single day. On the 5th day of taking HCTZ I got a numbness on my scalp which did go away. Still scary! I traveled with a huge water bottle everywhere I went for fear of becoming dizzy/lightheaded. Eating became a concern as my dizzy/lightheaded feelings were overcoming after eating or if I waited too long to eat. I had an increase in migraine episodes. I barely got any before and I had 4 episodes in the 2 month period. I already had cervical neck pain but this medicine made it worse. I had to use a topical muscle rub and take Tylenol (one dose) almost everyday. Needless to say this medicine was not for me"

KimmyMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2015

"I take 10mg Lisinopril & it reduce my bp to the normal -pre hyper range. My doc decided to give me a water pill. Now I have a history of drugs working the opposite on me. For instance, he put me on a Beta Blocker to help my BP & warned it would lower my normal heart rate. In 2 days it increased my heart rate enough to put me in the hospital (where they kept giving it to me). It also caused me to have heart pains. I'm weaned from it but may have the heart pains for up to a year as a side effect. I've taken this water pill at 2 separate occasions & it doesn't do anything but increase my lower bp number. I don't retain water & my output does not increase. No more. Lisinopril, diet & exercise is all I need to control my bp. No additional pills."

Frannie64 October 27, 2015

"I only took one/half a pill had a terrible reaction, severe nerve pain in both forearms, weakness all over went to ER in hospital for 3 days. Now have loss of sensation in my skin on my left side and sciatic nerve pain plus burning all the way down my leg and foot on my left side. I have had MRI's, pain blocks, CT Scans been to Orthopedic, Neuro Surgeons, Neurologist, etc. with no relief I am in pain everyday of my life thanks to this medicine. I could walk 3 miles 1 year ago and now I cannot walk one block with out extreme pain!"

Mary Carr October 26, 2015

"Subtle side effects which should be noted. This drug tends to dehydrate the body and lead to constipation, muscle and joint pain. It also contributes to leaching the body of critical electrolytes and in the event of accidental overdose may effect concentration to the point of generating unsafe judgements while driving. If a doctor chooses to prescribe this drug at the very least electrolytes must be checked frequently."

El;ection day October 11, 2015

"I started at 12.5 and got moved up 25's to me my weight loss is crazy... I've lost 20lbs in about 2months. Hair loss is horrible.. its lowered my bp a bit. I feel tired achy and no energy. Also my joints get stiff."

magon August 30, 2015

"Prescribed HCTZ 25mg a week ago today. This is my first experience with the drug. My BP was high and erratic, the drug is supposed to flush the excess salt from my system and help lower my BP. The first six days were fine, my BP was stabilizing and steadily decreasing. I didn't have a problem with excessive urination because I take the pill at night before bed. I also lost water weight (5 lbs. approx.). The adverse effects started today, day seven. I woke up feeling congested and dry in my right nostril and had a dry bm (which never happens). I am also lightheaded with mild nausea. This med is not for me. I'll work more diligently on alternative ways to lower my bp."

Robin571 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

"HCTZ worked fine for me for 30 years. It kept my peripheral edema under control and worked synergistically with Lisinopril to keep my blood pressure low. But in May my yearly blood tests showed sodium level of 126. A repeat a few weeks later showed 124. By that time I was having my grandson care for me. The doctor then stopped the HCTZ. I've recovered from the cerebral edema caused by the hyponatremia and my sodium was up to 130 at the last check, but now have hypertension and peripheral edema. I'm now on a 40mg dose of Lisinopril with no improvement after 4 days."

mbmimi67 (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2015