User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Hydrochlorothiazide Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide to treat High Blood Pressure

"Works with my lisinopril to lower my high blood pressure. Really bad dry mouth & throat the first week. Also I pee ALL the time. My tummy has gotten smaller and I fit into pants I could never wear."

Lumy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

"Well I've been on this medication 25mg for about a week... I started to have side affects about two days in like extreme dry mouth like I woke up in the Mojave desert or something. And I still have the side affect so I keep a bottle water handy at night. 2-3 day I stated to feel the mild cramps on my legs but it's gone away so it's temporary I guess. As for urinating regular not sure if it's not high enough or what. Cause I have not noticed any loss of water I have been retaining. Really disappointed so I'll keep taking this med for another two weeks if I don't notice anything I'm off it. Cause it hadn't worked. Oh well I guess let's see what happens."

doesitreallywork (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"hair loss, tiredness, constipation"

IleneDale December 31, 2015

"I went on it with my BP at 145/100 several years ago and it lowered it while eating a standard American diet. A few years ago, I started eating a whole foods diet (limiting processed foods) and had to take myself off the medicine because I would become faint when standing up. Fast forward to a trip to Vegas in March of 2015. I went off the bus and fell back into the standard american diet having long ago stopped regularly monitoring my BP. Four days ago, I woke up with a headache and called parents to inform them that wouldn't be making to Turkey Day dinner. Still had some pills remaining and took 50mg a day since along with 2 day fast and eating whole foods again. It's down to 124/80 after being at 201/113 four days ago. I'm reducing to"

TomInOhio November 30, 2015

"my first week using this medicine I lose 5 pounds with out excise im on day three and my stomach going down I don't have no side effects yet because I drink two cups a pill then eat something a drink another cup it's lower my blood pressure really good but if I lay down I get a little tired thts it"

cherry blooms (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

"I was diagnosed with HBP in late August and was prescribed HCTZ. For the past two months, I experienced nausea and dizziness almost every single day. On the 5th day of taking HCTZ I got a numbness on my scalp which did go away. Still scary! I traveled with a huge water bottle everywhere I went for fear of becoming dizzy/lightheaded. Eating became a concern as my dizzy/lightheaded feelings were overcoming after eating or if I waited too long to eat. I had an increase in migraine episodes. I barely got any before and I had 4 episodes in the 2 month period. I already had cervical neck pain but this medicine made it worse. I had to use a topical muscle rub and take Tylenol (one dose) almost everyday. Needless to say this medicine was not for me"

KimmyMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2015

"I take 10mg Lisinopril & it reduce my bp to the normal -pre hyper range. My doc decided to give me a water pill. Now I have a history of drugs working the opposite on me. For instance, he put me on a Beta Blocker to help my BP & warned it would lower my normal heart rate. In 2 days it increased my heart rate enough to put me in the hospital (where they kept giving it to me). It also caused me to have heart pains. I'm weaned from it but may have the heart pains for up to a year as a side effect. I've taken this water pill at 2 separate occasions & it doesn't do anything but increase my lower bp number. I don't retain water & my output does not increase. No more. Lisinopril, diet & exercise is all I need to control my bp. No additional pills."

Frannie64 October 27, 2015

"I only took one/half a pill had a terrible reaction, severe nerve pain in both forearms, weakness all over went to ER in hospital for 3 days. Now have loss of sensation in my skin on my left side and sciatic nerve pain plus burning all the way down my leg and foot on my left side. I have had MRI's, pain blocks, CT Scans been to Orthopedic, Neuro Surgeons, Neurologist, etc. with no relief I am in pain everyday of my life thanks to this medicine. I could walk 3 miles 1 year ago and now I cannot walk one block with out extreme pain!"

Mary Carr October 26, 2015

"Subtle side effects which should be noted. This drug tends to dehydrate the body and lead to constipation, muscle and joint pain. It also contributes to leaching the body of critical electrolytes and in the event of accidental overdose may effect concentration to the point of generating unsafe judgements while driving. If a doctor chooses to prescribe this drug at the very least electrolytes must be checked frequently."

El;ection day October 11, 2015

"I started at 12.5 and got moved up 25's to me my weight loss is crazy... I've lost 20lbs in about 2months. Hair loss is horrible.. its lowered my bp a bit. I feel tired achy and no energy. Also my joints get stiff."

magon August 30, 2015

"Prescribed HCTZ 25mg a week ago today. This is my first experience with the drug. My BP was high and erratic, the drug is supposed to flush the excess salt from my system and help lower my BP. The first six days were fine, my BP was stabilizing and steadily decreasing. I didn't have a problem with excessive urination because I take the pill at night before bed. I also lost water weight (5 lbs. approx.). The adverse effects started today, day seven. I woke up feeling congested and dry in my right nostril and had a dry bm (which never happens). I am also lightheaded with mild nausea. This med is not for me. I'll work more diligently on alternative ways to lower my bp."

Robin571 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

"HCTZ worked fine for me for 30 years. It kept my peripheral edema under control and worked synergistically with Lisinopril to keep my blood pressure low. But in May my yearly blood tests showed sodium level of 126. A repeat a few weeks later showed 124. By that time I was having my grandson care for me. The doctor then stopped the HCTZ. I've recovered from the cerebral edema caused by the hyponatremia and my sodium was up to 130 at the last check, but now have hypertension and peripheral edema. I'm now on a 40mg dose of Lisinopril with no improvement after 4 days."

mbmimi67 (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2015

"I have a lingering concussion, my third, and my blood pressure went high with it again. My Dr sent me to emergency. I ended up on this drug and another for 4 months. It took that long to get my BP more normal. I am just on the water pill now. The 12.5mg didn't do much for me but the 25mg seems to be working well for me. I don't seem to have any side effects from the meds. I still have concussion issues though. My BP is usually around 120/80 now and if it does go up it, it is around 130-140/85-91. When my Dr sent me to emergency it was 201/142 and I was in pain. I'm doing much better"

Aunt V (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

"If I miss a dose, I just take it the very next day. If I run out ... Let's just say I've done it twice ... THERE WONT BE A THIRD !!!"

KTell August 11, 2015

"I have been taking 25mg Hydrochlorothiazide for one week now and have lost 15 lbs. , which was mainly fluid retention....haven't had any side effects other then maybe low potassium which can lead to muscle cramps...so now I always eat a banana with my dose with no muscle cramps...I haven't noticed and increase in urinating so the dose must be releasing more sodium into my urine....I also wear compression stockings which helps too and walking and exercising....and a better diet....Hydrochlorothiazide has been beneficial to me."

danno1 July 18, 2015

"My BP was 170/110 and was put on 50mg of Losartan Potassium and 6 weeks later my BP was 242/129 and I was sent to the ER and 25mg of Hydrochlorothiazide was prescribed. After one week my BP come down and now stays about 140/100. I take my meds about 5am and I have not experienced any side effects except for feeling sluggish until about 10am, which is one side effect. No weight loss either, which I was really hoping for!"

Anonymous June 29, 2015

"I guess I should count myself fortunate. I've been on a 25 mg daily dose of HCTZ for a little over a week and have had none of the side effects that others have commented here. It has however been very effective in bringing my BP down from an average of 160/90 to about 135/75. I feel great!"

b52page May 8, 2015

"I hate this drug. My Dr. put me on 25mg per day. It makes me light headed, run to the toilet every hour, constipated, and causes leg cramps. I don't know why he added a new drug instead of just upping the dose of Losartan."

gordon59 April 11, 2015

"This medicine is ok nothing to be scared of, I hate taking pills and my blood pressure was extremely high so I was prescribed this and I changed the way I ate I'm 31 years old and healthy otherwise. Within a month(it toke time) my blood pressure was at high risk level which was lower than before. Probably because I still had a lot of weight to lose. I remember feeling tired at first. As I got used to the medicine I was able to hot the gym again."

hatepills31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

"Side effects: extreme dry mouth, nausea."

mch999 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2015

"I am hypertensive and have been on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 yrs, and at 12.5mg for 1 yr before that. For the last yr I have had severe leg cramps, urinating every half hour with extreme pressure, my hair is thinning and a rash developed along my hair line above my forehead and my body temp would drop significantly to 95 so my husband would make hot drinks and wrap me in blanket. On top of that my blood pressure went up. A dr where I'm vacationing cut the med back to 12.5mg and from the first day my pressure is normal, my body temp has stabilized, with no drops. The dr here said too much of this med wipes out potassium and since reducing to 12.5mg, in 4 days I feel much better"

Elizabeth24 February 10, 2015

"I was given 25mg of this for my blood pressure plus 40 mg of lisinopril. I have never had acne in my life on my face. It was around the same time that I started this meds. The acne started as little white bumps around the nose and under the eyes, now it seems to be getting worse with more of the deeper welts (1-2 bumps) with drying skin. I'm 45 and this seems pretty unusual. The Dr doesn't think it's the meds. I'm drinking water with every meal but binge on beer about once a week while watching sports. Anyone else have acne or bumps breakout on face or other place from Hhydrochlorothiazide?"

Meetch January 22, 2015

"Only works when I add other natural supplements like garlic."

Anonymous July 8, 2014

"I'm in my 60's - 5'6 - 128 lbs - have been taking HCTZ for a few years, it worked fairly well but last few times I've had blood pressure checked it has been high- 158/106. Taking 25 mg. No problems with excessive urination or other side effects (thinning hair??), Might need another medication."

d21 April 15, 2014

"I have been having erratic blood preasure but it was starting to go over 140/90 regularly. My MD put me on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. I have a family history of high blood pressure. I am very health conscious and this is the first time I am taking a medicine. So I cut the pill in half (12.5mg) and it dropped my BP the first day to 120/78. I don't think I am urinating more but get leg cramps so I started taking Chelated Potassium. I have been on this medicine for 3 weeks and today is the first day I did not take it because my blood pressure was 114/66. I have to be diligent with this medicine even though I am only taking 1/2 my prescribed dose. I don't like to depend on medicines, I use herbal supplements and exercise. I recommend diligent monitoring of your BP whenever you are prescribed medicines."

Davanse April 7, 2014

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next