User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Hydrochlorothiazide review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide to treat High Blood Pressure

Only works when I add other natural supplements like garlic.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by d21:

I'm in my 60's - 5'6 - 128 lbs - have been taking HCTZ for a few years, it worked fairly well but last few times I've had blood pressure checked it has been high- 158/106. Taking 25 mg. No problems with excessive urination or other side effects (thinning hair??), Might need another medication.

April 15, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by Davanse:

I have been having erratic blood preasure but it was starting to go over 140/90 regularly. My MD put me on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. I have a family history of high blood pressure. I am very health conscious and this is the first time I am taking a medicine. So I cut the pill in half (12.5mg) and it dropped my BP the first day to 120/78. I don't think I am urinating more but get leg cramps so I started taking Chelated Potassium. I have been on this medicine for 3 weeks and today is the first day I did not take it because my blood pressure was 114/66. I have to be diligent with this medicine even though I am only taking 1/2 my prescribed dose. I don't like to depend on medicines, I use herbal supplements and exercise. I recommend diligent monitoring of your BP whenever you are prescribed medicines.

April 7, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by Butterflyindy68:

I noticed blood pressure began to stabilize. The side effects were overwhelming. I had very dry mouth, no appetite. During the day constant drowsiness and weakness along with body aches I do not normally experience. I take three other blood pressure medicines.

February 5, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by MaddyV:

When I first started taking this medication, my heart was racing, I started getting leg cramps, and I felt bone tired. I felt as if something was not right, so I called the doctor. Turns out he started me on 25 mg and that dosage was too high for me so we cut it to 12.5 mg. Seems to be working much better without all those side effects outright. My advice. Listen to your body, not all medications are one size fits all. You are your best advocate.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2013 10:02 AM

Review by sirkus3 (taken for less than 1 month):

My Dr. put me on this medication for high blood pressure....it made me very sick within two weeks after taking it. I felt like I was coming down with the flu. My muscles were weak my joints began hurting. I had a very low grade fever and wanted to go home and go to bed. Then my bladder began to hurt so bad. I had been on some other type of medication for high blood pressure and the same thing happened with it. I knew that I had experienced this before and immediately stopped the hydrochlorothiazide, and my body went back to normal within a week and a half. Another thing I noticed was my urine was like water there was no color whatsoever in it, until I started taking vitamins and the color returned.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2013 8:59 PM

Review by rosejones:

The hydrochlorothiazide helps my high blood pressure, but it seems to make losing weight harder, and it is also bad for thinning your hair.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2012 2:59 PM

Review by kstib98509:

Before I started taking this medication my blood pressure was 148/98. It's now 117/78 on a consistent basis and I haven't noticed any side effects.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2012 2:58 PM

I have taken hydrochlorothiazide for a number of years and felt that it helped lower my BP but recently began feeling more fatigued so my doctor raised my dose to 50mg. I have had severe rashes and edema ever since. She is now running test to see if I have developed Lupus. I had just 3 months ago been diagnosed with fibromialgia. I am in severe pain, have large rashes on both legs that itches ALL the time and my feet and legs are so swollen that I can hardly walk especially in the morning and late evening. She took me off HCTZ 5 days ago until the results of test comes back. I am also taking 240 mg of Diltiazem Hcl and 20 mg of Altace. I need help and answers fast. Have never been so sick.

October 9, 2011 4:32 AM

I have used hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg for about 2 months now. It has significantly lowered my blood pressure but I have noticed the arches in my feet hurt and some leg pain and dry mouth, I also feel I don't have the same ambition. I do not urinate any more frequent then usual. I do think it has effected my sex life though as in lowing my sex drive. I take this along with a beta blocker called propranolol 20mg. I will have to get my potassium checked to see how it is doing though.

July 22, 2011 12:27 AM

Review by arickp:

I was given hydrochlorothiazide in combination with a beta blocker for high blood pressure. Sadly, this diuretic did not succeed in lowering my blood pressure. The label says to take it no less than four hours before bed to avoid getting up in the night; however, I found myself getting up in the night even if I took the pill at 7 in the morning. During the day, however, there was not a major delta in urinary frequency or amount. The diuretic actually made me sweat more. Somehow, this medication also cleared up my acne. My dermatologist confirmed that this is medically possible.

June 28, 2011 3:05 PM

HydroDIURIL (hydrochlorothiazide): I use this medicine for my high blood pressure.

June 25, 2011 3:05 PM

Review by jayneelea:

I'm 21, 5'4 125 pounds, very active. Hypertension runs in my family sadly and there is no escaping from it. It ran in the 140/mid to high 90's range. I was put on hydrochlorothiazide two months ago. At first I didn't like it because obviously it makes you urinate like crazy, and I hated waking up in the middle of the night to go because I would have trouble falling back to sleep. I started taking it early in the morning instead of 3pm, and my problem was easily solved. Other side effects I have noticed, I've lost around 10 pounds of water weight within the last two months. My blood pressure is now in the low 130's, mid 80's range, and I feel great. I probably will end up on a higher dose in the future.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2010 2:10 PM

Review by Dormarie:

I am so grateful for this site and all the thoughtful comments. I now know I was not crazy or anything. I was on hydrochlorothiazide off and on for many years along with other different medicines. I always quit taking it because I got so sick. So I finally put myself on Lasix along with my Atenolol and now I feel just fine with the smallest dose of Lasix. The doctors mostly don't seem to know how sick it makes many people. Thought it was our imagination. I am now certain.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2010 6:52 PM

Two weeks into treatment became very lightheaded and couldn't get out of bed. My feet hurt so bad, didn't do much in lowering blood pressure.

July 2, 2010 8:05 AM

Review by Minnieme:

I originally gave this medicine a thumbs down, as the side effects, nausea and leg cramps were too much. Decided to try it again at the prompting of my doctor and after a few days adjusted to it. 25mg dosage, the edema is gone and it seems to work with my beta blocker with no issues.

June 2, 2010 7:21 PM

Review by missnice:

I've been on this medicine for 3 years and it works wonderful for my blood pressure. It only made my potassium low but now I take potassium pills for that. I have a good doctor thank God.

October 12, 2009 3:04 PM

Review by Sam(female):

I find it causes my hands to go tingly and my heart races sometimes. I have also had tingling in my head to.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2009 9:13 PM

I tried for 2 months to adjust to hydrochlorothiazide. Immediately my legs hurt and felt like jelly, also my energy levels were so low I hardly felt like getting out of bed. I also noticed a lot of hair loss in my brush. My blood pressure went form 210/120 down to 140/78, and my edema was entirely eliminated. Hydrochlorothiazide definitely did it's job, but I was in constant pain and so tired I couldn't function normally, I thought something was really wrong with me until I decided I'd had enough and intentionally skipped a dose and couldn't believe how much better I felt the next day. I'm going back to my Doctor to change to something else!

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2009 12:41 AM

I started taking hydrochlorothiazide about 18 months ago. My blood pressure was never very high - about 125/95. It lowered it to 115/85 but my blood sugar jumped to 450 (I was not diabetic below taking HTCZ). My A1C was 9.6. I went off the HTCZ and my blood glucose went to 97 within a week. I also reduced my diabetic medications from 5 pills a day to 2.

September 23, 2009 10:24 AM

After 2 weeks my blood pressure went down to normal from 145/90, I lost 12 pounds. Frequent urine is normal because it is a diuretic. I feel good.

September 22, 2009 5:46 PM

Review by lola70:

I have been taking Diovan for years for my blood pressure. Recently, it stopped working to keep the numbers down. I was 180-190/85 and began to take EForge, which was a combination of Diovan and a beta blocker. I got sick and my ankles swelled so badly they hung over my shoes. My doctor changed me to the hydrochlorothiazide along with the Diovan and it has worked wonderfully. There is a combination pill but I am afraid to take it because if I have a reaction then I have to stop both medicines, as happened with the EForge. No real problems with urination as I had expected.

September 13, 2009 4:55 PM

Too many side effects leg cramps, going to the bathroom all the time, tired. Just didn't feel right. Worked great on my blood pressure 181/101 down to 135/65 but going to try something different.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2009 7:27 PM

This caused a lot of swelling in my ankles and feet.

September 2, 2009 6:37 AM

I like this medicine. I was using hydrochlorothiazide for almost 10 years. My physician just recently change me to Lisinopril and it has caused swelling in both my ankles and feet.

August 24, 2009 5:14 PM