User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Hydrochlorothiazide Review Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide to treat High Blood Pressure

"I guess I should count myself fortunate. I've been on a 25 mg daily dose of HCTZ for a little over a week and have had none of the side effects that others have commented here. It has however been very effective in bringing my BP down from an average of 160/90 to about 135/75. I feel great!"

b52page May 8, 2015

"I hate this drug. My Dr. put me on 25mg per day. It makes me light headed, run to the toilet every hour, constipated, and causes leg cramps. I don't know why he added a new drug instead of just upping the dose of Losartan."

gordon59 April 11, 2015

"This medicine is ok nothing to be scared of, I hate taking pills and my blood pressure was extremely high so I was prescribed this and I changed the way I ate I'm 31 years old and healthy otherwise. Within a month(it toke time) my blood pressure was at high risk level which was lower than before. Probably because I still had a lot of weight to lose. I remember feeling tired at first. As I got used to the medicine I was able to hot the gym again."

hatepills31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

"Side effects: extreme dry mouth, nausea."

mch999 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2015

"I am hypertensive and have been on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 yrs, and at 12.5mg for 1 yr before that. For the last yr I have had severe leg cramps, urinating every half hour with extreme pressure, my hair is thinning and a rash developed along my hair line above my forehead and my body temp would drop significantly to 95 so my husband would make hot drinks and wrap me in blanket. On top of that my blood pressure went up. A dr where I'm vacationing cut the med back to 12.5mg and from the first day my pressure is normal, my body temp has stabilized, with no drops. The dr here said too much of this med wipes out potassium and since reducing to 12.5mg, in 4 days I feel much better"

Elizabeth24 February 10, 2015

"I was given 25mg of this for my blood pressure plus 40 mg of lisinopril. I have never had acne in my life on my face. It was around the same time that I started this meds. The acne started as little white bumps around the nose and under the eyes, now it seems to be getting worse with more of the deeper welts (1-2 bumps) with drying skin. I'm 45 and this seems pretty unusual. The Dr doesn't think it's the meds. I'm drinking water with every meal but binge on beer about once a week while watching sports. Anyone else have acne or bumps breakout on face or other place from Hhydrochlorothiazide?"

Meetch January 22, 2015

"Only works when I add other natural supplements like garlic."

Anonymous July 8, 2014

"I'm in my 60's - 5'6 - 128 lbs - have been taking HCTZ for a few years, it worked fairly well but last few times I've had blood pressure checked it has been high- 158/106. Taking 25 mg. No problems with excessive urination or other side effects (thinning hair??), Might need another medication."

d21 April 15, 2014

"I have been having erratic blood preasure but it was starting to go over 140/90 regularly. My MD put me on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. I have a family history of high blood pressure. I am very health conscious and this is the first time I am taking a medicine. So I cut the pill in half (12.5mg) and it dropped my BP the first day to 120/78. I don't think I am urinating more but get leg cramps so I started taking Chelated Potassium. I have been on this medicine for 3 weeks and today is the first day I did not take it because my blood pressure was 114/66. I have to be diligent with this medicine even though I am only taking 1/2 my prescribed dose. I don't like to depend on medicines, I use herbal supplements and exercise. I recommend diligent monitoring of your BP whenever you are prescribed medicines."

Davanse April 7, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I noticed blood pressure began to stabilize. The side effects were overwhelming. I had very dry mouth, no appetite. During the day constant drowsiness and weakness along with body aches I do not normally experience. I take three other blood pressure medicines."

Butterflyindy68 February 5, 2014

"When I first started taking this medication, my heart was racing, I started getting leg cramps, and I felt bone tired. I felt as if something was not right, so I called the doctor. Turns out he started me on 25 mg and that dosage was too high for me so we cut it to 12.5 mg. Seems to be working much better without all those side effects outright. My advice. Listen to your body, not all medications are one size fits all. You are your best advocate."

MaddyV June 11, 2013

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My Dr. put me on this medication for high blood pressure....it made me very sick within two weeks after taking it. I felt like I was coming down with the flu. My muscles were weak my joints began hurting. I had a very low grade fever and wanted to go home and go to bed. Then my bladder began to hurt so bad. I had been on some other type of medication for high blood pressure and the same thing happened with it. I knew that I had experienced this before and immediately stopped the hydrochlorothiazide, and my body went back to normal within a week and a half. Another thing I noticed was my urine was like water there was no color whatsoever in it, until I started taking vitamins and the color returned."

sirkus3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The hydrochlorothiazide helps my high blood pressure, but it seems to make losing weight harder, and it is also bad for thinning your hair. "

rosejones April 11, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Before I started taking this medication my blood pressure was 148/98. It's now 117/78 on a consistent basis and I haven't noticed any side effects."

kstib98509 January 17, 2012

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken hydrochlorothiazide for a number of years and felt that it helped lower my BP but recently began feeling more fatigued so my doctor raised my dose to 50mg. I have had severe rashes and edema ever since. She is now running test to see if I have developed Lupus. I had just 3 months ago been diagnosed with fibromialgia. I am in severe pain, have large rashes on both legs that itches ALL the time and my feet and legs are so swollen that I can hardly walk especially in the morning and late evening. She took me off HCTZ 5 days ago until the results of test comes back. I am also taking 240 mg of Diltiazem Hcl and 20 mg of Altace. I need help and answers fast. Have never been so sick."

Anonymous October 9, 2011

"I have used hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg for about 2 months now. It has significantly lowered my blood pressure but I have noticed the arches in my feet hurt and some leg pain and dry mouth, I also feel I don't have the same ambition. I do not urinate any more frequent then usual. I do think it has effected my sex life though as in lowing my sex drive. I take this along with a beta blocker called propranolol 20mg. I will have to get my potassium checked to see how it is doing though."

Anonymous July 22, 2011

"I was given hydrochlorothiazide in combination with a beta blocker for high blood pressure. Sadly, this diuretic did not succeed in lowering my blood pressure. The label says to take it no less than four hours before bed to avoid getting up in the night; however, I found myself getting up in the night even if I took the pill at 7 in the morning. During the day, however, there was not a major delta in urinary frequency or amount. The diuretic actually made me sweat more. Somehow, this medication also cleared up my acne. My dermatologist confirmed that this is medically possible."

arickp June 28, 2011

HydroDIURIL (hydrochlorothiazide): "I use this medicine for my high blood pressure."

Anonymous June 25, 2011

"I'm 21, 5'4 125 pounds, very active. Hypertension runs in my family sadly and there is no escaping from it. It ran in the 140/mid to high 90's range. I was put on hydrochlorothiazide two months ago. At first I didn't like it because obviously it makes you urinate like crazy, and I hated waking up in the middle of the night to go because I would have trouble falling back to sleep. I started taking it early in the morning instead of 3pm, and my problem was easily solved. Other side effects I have noticed, I've lost around 10 pounds of water weight within the last two months. My blood pressure is now in the low 130's, mid 80's range, and I feel great. I probably will end up on a higher dose in the future."

jayneelea December 15, 2010

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am so grateful for this site and all the thoughtful comments. I now know I was not crazy or anything. I was on hydrochlorothiazide off and on for many years along with other different medicines. I always quit taking it because I got so sick. So I finally put myself on Lasix along with my Atenolol and now I feel just fine with the smallest dose of Lasix. The doctors mostly don't seem to know how sick it makes many people. Thought it was our imagination. I am now certain."

Dormarie July 28, 2010

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Two weeks into treatment became very lightheaded and couldn't get out of bed. My feet hurt so bad, didn't do much in lowering blood pressure."

Anonymous July 2, 2010

"I originally gave this medicine a thumbs down, as the side effects, nausea and leg cramps were too much. Decided to try it again at the prompting of my doctor and after a few days adjusted to it. 25mg dosage, the edema is gone and it seems to work with my beta blocker with no issues."

Minnieme June 2, 2010

"I've been on this medicine for 3 years and it works wonderful for my blood pressure. It only made my potassium low but now I take potassium pills for that. I have a good doctor thank God."

missnice October 12, 2009

"I find it causes my hands to go tingly and my heart races sometimes. I have also had tingling in my head to."

Sam(female) October 4, 2009

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tried for 2 months to adjust to hydrochlorothiazide. Immediately my legs hurt and felt like jelly, also my energy levels were so low I hardly felt like getting out of bed. I also noticed a lot of hair loss in my brush. My blood pressure went form 210/120 down to 140/78, and my edema was entirely eliminated. Hydrochlorothiazide definitely did it's job, but I was in constant pain and so tired I couldn't function normally, I thought something was really wrong with me until I decided I'd had enough and intentionally skipped a dose and couldn't believe how much better I felt the next day. I'm going back to my Doctor to change to something else!"

Anonymous October 4, 2009

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about High Blood Pressure