User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Diabetes Insipidus 1 reviews 16 medications

Nephrocalcinosis 2 reviews 10 medications

Osteoporosis 0 reviews 190 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 50 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

For High Blood Pressure: Only works when I add other natural supplements like garlic.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by d21:

For High Blood Pressure: I'm in my 60's - 5'6 - 128 lbs - have been taking HCTZ for a few years, it worked fairly well but last few times I've had blood pressure checked it has been high- 158/106. Taking 25 mg. No problems with excessive urination or other side effects (thinning hair??), Might need another medication.

April 15, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by Davanse:

For High Blood Pressure: I have been having erratic blood preasure but it was starting to go over 140/90 regularly. My MD put me on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. I have a family history of high blood pressure. I am very health conscious and this is the first time I am taking a medicine. So I cut the pill in half (12.5mg) and it dropped my BP the first day to 120/78. I don't think I am urinating more but get leg cramps so I started taking Chelated Potassium. I have been on this medicine for 3 weeks and today is the first day I did not take it because my blood pressure was 114/66. I have to be diligent with this medicine even though I am only taking 1/2 my prescribed dose. I don't like to depend on medicines, I use herbal supplements and exercise. I recommend diligent monitoring of your BP whenever you are prescribed medicines.

April 7, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by Butterflyindy68:

For High Blood Pressure: I noticed blood pressure began to stabilize. The side effects were overwhelming. I had very dry mouth, no appetite. During the day constant drowsiness and weakness along with body aches I do not normally experience. I take three other blood pressure medicines.

February 5, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by MaddyV:

For High Blood Pressure: When I first started taking this medication, my heart was racing, I started getting leg cramps, and I felt bone tired. I felt as if something was not right, so I called the doctor. Turns out he started me on 25 mg and that dosage was too high for me so we cut it to 12.5 mg. Seems to be working much better without all those side effects outright. My advice. Listen to your body, not all medications are one size fits all. You are your best advocate.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2013 10:02 AM

Review by sirkus3 (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: My Dr. put me on this medication for high blood pressure....it made me very sick within two weeks after taking it. I felt like I was coming down with the flu. My muscles were weak my joints began hurting. I had a very low grade fever and wanted to go home and go to bed. Then my bladder began to hurt so bad. I had been on some other type of medication for high blood pressure and the same thing happened with it. I knew that I had experienced this before and immediately stopped the hydrochlorothiazide, and my body went back to normal within a week and a half. Another thing I noticed was my urine was like water there was no color whatsoever in it, until I started taking vitamins and the color returned.

April 29, 2013 8:59 PM

Review by lissad1980 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Edema: I was given this for edema caused from side effect of meds and side effects of my disease, Sarcoidosis. It was used to alleviate the edema and help flush calcium from my kidneys. I lost 8 lbs the first 3 days on the lowest dosage and I was staying well hydrated. The edema was so bad it was affecting my Blood Pressure (150/110) even though it was only mildly noticeable. Within 3 days I noticed fluid from my legs, back and even chest were gone....didn't even know it was anywhere but my legs. I did notice a mild nagging headache but not sure if it was due to meds or seasonal allergies. Since med could make me tired, I was cautious taking Benedryl (only safe allergy medicine I can take) since I also took Xanax and Percocet. However, I feel energized.

March 12, 2013 11:06 AM

Review by rosejones:

For High Blood Pressure: The hydrochlorothiazide helps my high blood pressure, but it seems to make losing weight harder, and it is also bad for thinning your hair.

April 11, 2012 2:59 PM

Review by kstib98509:

For High Blood Pressure: Before I started taking this medication my blood pressure was 148/98. It's now 117/78 on a consistent basis and I haven't noticed any side effects.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2012 2:58 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I have taken hydrochlorothiazide for a number of years and felt that it helped lower my BP but recently began feeling more fatigued so my doctor raised my dose to 50mg. I have had severe rashes and edema ever since. She is now running test to see if I have developed Lupus. I had just 3 months ago been diagnosed with fibromialgia. I am in severe pain, have large rashes on both legs that itches ALL the time and my feet and legs are so swollen that I can hardly walk especially in the morning and late evening. She took me off HCTZ 5 days ago until the results of test comes back. I am also taking 240 mg of Diltiazem Hcl and 20 mg of Altace. I need help and answers fast. Have never been so sick.

October 9, 2011 4:32 AM

For High Blood Pressure: I have used hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg for about 2 months now. It has significantly lowered my blood pressure but I have noticed the arches in my feet hurt and some leg pain and dry mouth, I also feel I don't have the same ambition. I do not urinate any more frequent then usual. I do think it has effected my sex life though as in lowing my sex drive. I take this along with a beta blocker called propranolol 20mg. I will have to get my potassium checked to see how it is doing though.

July 22, 2011 12:27 AM

Review by arickp:

For High Blood Pressure: I was given hydrochlorothiazide in combination with a beta blocker for high blood pressure. Sadly, this diuretic did not succeed in lowering my blood pressure. The label says to take it no less than four hours before bed to avoid getting up in the night; however, I found myself getting up in the night even if I took the pill at 7 in the morning. During the day, however, there was not a major delta in urinary frequency or amount. The diuretic actually made me sweat more. Somehow, this medication also cleared up my acne. My dermatologist confirmed that this is medically possible.

June 28, 2011 3:05 PM

HydroDIURIL (hydrochlorothiazide) for High Blood Pressure: I use this medicine for my high blood pressure.

June 25, 2011 3:05 PM

For Nephrocalcinosis: I was put on hydrochlorothiazide by my urologist for the prevention of kidney stones. I was a regular producer of a stone every 12-18 months prior to starting hydrochlorothiazide. It has been 5 years and counting without a kidney stone. That's the up side. The down side is after about 6 months on this medication I had my first bout with gout. Ever since then I regularly have to deal with gout about every other month. I feel like I traded one type of severe, less often pain for a lower, more recurring pain.

May 30, 2011 6:43 PM

For Diabetes Insipidus: Chlorathiazide and Chlorpromide work well for my Diabetes. DDVAP would not work.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2011 2:58 PM

Review by jayneelea:

For High Blood Pressure: I'm 21, 5'4 125 pounds, very active. Hypertension runs in my family sadly and there is no escaping from it. It ran in the 140/mid to high 90's range. I was put on hydrochlorothiazide two months ago. At first I didn't like it because obviously it makes you urinate like crazy, and I hated waking up in the middle of the night to go because I would have trouble falling back to sleep. I started taking it early in the morning instead of 3pm, and my problem was easily solved. Other side effects I have noticed, I've lost around 10 pounds of water weight within the last two months. My blood pressure is now in the low 130's, mid 80's range, and I feel great. I probably will end up on a higher dose in the future.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2010 2:10 PM

Review by Leslie29:

For Edema: I lost a lot of water weight in the first few days, but my edema did not improve. I ended up having to combine it with Lasix. The cocktail of diuretics controlled my edema, and I have not had another flare up in a year. The combination took a few months to get it under control, but I did start to see the swelling go down within the first week or two. The negative was that I had to take mag-ox and potassium pills that were horrible to swallow and the mag-ox gave me headaches for about the first month.

December 9, 2010 9:26 PM

Review by stoner' wife:

For Nephrocalcinosis: My husband was first put on Diovan HCT for blood pressure problems. He had extremely frequent kidney stones to which we tried everything! It wasn't until he started on Diovan HCT that the stones got less and less frequent. It was the HCT in the medicines that helped.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2010 8:05 PM

Review by Dormarie:

For High Blood Pressure: I am so grateful for this site and all the thoughtful comments. I now know I was not crazy or anything. I was on hydrochlorothiazide off and on for many years along with other different medicines. I always quit taking it because I got so sick. So I finally put myself on Lasix along with my Atenolol and now I feel just fine with the smallest dose of Lasix. The doctors mostly don't seem to know how sick it makes many people. Thought it was our imagination. I am now certain.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2010 6:52 PM

For High Blood Pressure: Two weeks into treatment became very lightheaded and couldn't get out of bed. My feet hurt so bad, didn't do much in lowering blood pressure.

July 2, 2010 8:05 AM

Review by Minnieme:

For High Blood Pressure: I originally gave this medicine a thumbs down, as the side effects, nausea and leg cramps were too much. Decided to try it again at the prompting of my doctor and after a few days adjusted to it. 25mg dosage, the edema is gone and it seems to work with my beta blocker with no issues.

June 2, 2010 7:21 PM

Review by Kahleia:

For Edema: I had noticeable results within 24 hours. I had gained a lot of edema from Lyrica. This drug helped reverse that with little discomfort or side effects. I had increased pulse at first and a little dizziness but it went away quickly.

January 15, 2010 12:46 PM

Review by missnice:

For High Blood Pressure: I've been on this medicine for 3 years and it works wonderful for my blood pressure. It only made my potassium low but now I take potassium pills for that. I have a good doctor thank God.

October 12, 2009 3:04 PM

Review by Sam(female):

For High Blood Pressure: I find it causes my hands to go tingly and my heart races sometimes. I have also had tingling in my head to.

October 4, 2009 9:13 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I tried for 2 months to adjust to hydrochlorothiazide. Immediately my legs hurt and felt like jelly, also my energy levels were so low I hardly felt like getting out of bed. I also noticed a lot of hair loss in my brush. My blood pressure went form 210/120 down to 140/78, and my edema was entirely eliminated. Hydrochlorothiazide definitely did it's job, but I was in constant pain and so tired I couldn't function normally, I thought something was really wrong with me until I decided I'd had enough and intentionally skipped a dose and couldn't believe how much better I felt the next day. I'm going back to my Doctor to change to something else!

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2009 12:41 AM