User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Diabetes Insipidus 1 reviews 16 medications

Edema 4 reviews 45 medications

Nephrocalcinosis 4 reviews 10 medications

High Blood Pressure 57 reviews 207 medications

6.2
Osteoporosis 0 reviews 182 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 66 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

For High Blood Pressure: "I started at 12.5 and got moved up 25's to me my weight loss is crazy... I've lost 20lbs in about 2months. Hair loss is horrible.. its lowered my bp a bit. I feel tired achy and no energy. Also my joints get stiff."

magon August 30, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Prescribed HCTZ 25mg a week ago today. This is my first experience with the drug. My BP was high and erratic, the drug is supposed to flush the excess salt from my system and help lower my BP. The first six days were fine, my BP was stabilizing and steadily decreasing. I didn't have a problem with excessive urination because I take the pill at night before bed. I also lost water weight (5 lbs. approx.). The adverse effects started today, day seven. I woke up feeling congested and dry in my right nostril and had a dry bm (which never happens). I am also lightheaded with mild nausea. This med is not for me. I'll work more diligently on alternative ways to lower my bp."

Robin571 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "HCTZ worked fine for me for 30 years. It kept my peripheral edema under control and worked synergistically with Lisinopril to keep my blood pressure low. But in May my yearly blood tests showed sodium level of 126. A repeat a few weeks later showed 124. By that time I was having my grandson care for me. The doctor then stopped the HCTZ. I've recovered from the cerebral edema caused by the hyponatremia and my sodium was up to 130 at the last check, but now have hypertension and peripheral edema. I'm now on a 40mg dose of Lisinopril with no improvement after 4 days."

mbmimi67 (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have a lingering concussion, my third, and my blood pressure went high with it again. My Dr sent me to emergency. I ended up on this drug and another for 4 months. It took that long to get my BP more normal. I am just on the water pill now. The 12.5mg didn't do much for me but the 25mg seems to be working well for me. I don't seem to have any side effects from the meds. I still have concussion issues though. My BP is usually around 120/80 now and if it does go up it, it is around 130-140/85-91. When my Dr sent me to emergency it was 201/142 and I was in pain. I'm doing much better"

Aunt V (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "If I miss a dose, I just take it the very next day. If I run out ... Let's just say I've done it twice ... THERE WONT BE A THIRD !!!"

KTell August 11, 2015

For Nephrocalcinosis: "I was put on this to lower my chances of getting more kidney stones. I've been on this a few days now & wanted to share my experiences early on. At first I felt no difference but the second day I started feeling extreme dry mouth, headache, lower leg cramping & some frequency of urination, although I drink a lot of water 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon a day but from what I've read here these are normal side effects as my body adjusts to the medication. I'm going to keep on this until I see the doctor for a recheck in a couple of weeks & hopefully these side effects will subside.I'm mainly staying on it too out of fear of a returning kidney stone."

Hellinahandbasket (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 25mg Hydrochlorothiazide for one week now and have lost 15 lbs. , which was mainly fluid retention....haven't had any side effects other then maybe low potassium which can lead to muscle cramps...so now I always eat a banana with my dose with no muscle cramps...I haven't noticed and increase in urinating so the dose must be releasing more sodium into my urine....I also wear compression stockings which helps too and walking and exercising....and a better diet....Hydrochlorothiazide has been beneficial to me."

danno1 July 18, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "My BP was 170/110 and was put on 50mg of Losartan Potassium and 6 weeks later my BP was 242/129 and I was sent to the ER and 25mg of Hydrochlorothiazide was prescribed. After one week my BP come down and now stays about 140/100. I take my meds about 5am and I have not experienced any side effects except for feeling sluggish until about 10am, which is one side effect. No weight loss either, which I was really hoping for!"

Anonymous June 29, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I guess I should count myself fortunate. I've been on a 25 mg daily dose of HCTZ for a little over a week and have had none of the side effects that others have commented here. It has however been very effective in bringing my BP down from an average of 160/90 to about 135/75. I feel great!"

b52page May 8, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I hate this drug. My Dr. put me on 25mg per day. It makes me light headed, run to the toilet every hour, constipated, and causes leg cramps. I don't know why he added a new drug instead of just upping the dose of Losartan."

gordon59 April 11, 2015

For Nephrocalcinosis: "I was put on Thiazide 25mg for severe life long Nephrocalcinosis (kidney stone disease). I have been on it 6 weeks. Yes it cut my urine calcium in half which is great and what we wanted but I have had some terrible side effects: Daily migraines and new acne daily on jaw line (never had acne until I started this medication). It lowered my potassium levels causing lethargy and muscle weakness. Took a 2 day break and instant stop of headaches and no new pimples for 2 days. Have gone back on it today but only taken 12.5mg to see if it makes a difference, only time will tell if I get a headache soon and then I will know for sure it is the tablet causing it."

Nephromum (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "This medicine is ok nothing to be scared of, I hate taking pills and my blood pressure was extremely high so I was prescribed this and I changed the way I ate I'm 31 years old and healthy otherwise. Within a month(it toke time) my blood pressure was at high risk level which was lower than before. Probably because I still had a lot of weight to lose. I remember feeling tired at first. As I got used to the medicine I was able to hot the gym again."

hatepills31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effects: extreme dry mouth, nausea."

mch999 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am hypertensive and have been on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 yrs, and at 12.5mg for 1 yr before that. For the last yr I have had severe leg cramps, urinating every half hour with extreme pressure, my hair is thinning and a rash developed along my hair line above my forehead and my body temp would drop significantly to 95 so my husband would make hot drinks and wrap me in blanket. On top of that my blood pressure went up. A dr where I'm vacationing cut the med back to 12.5mg and from the first day my pressure is normal, my body temp has stabilized, with no drops. The dr here said too much of this med wipes out potassium and since reducing to 12.5mg, in 4 days I feel much better"

Elizabeth24 February 10, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was given 25mg of this for my blood pressure plus 40 mg of lisinopril. I have never had acne in my life on my face. It was around the same time that I started this meds. The acne started as little white bumps around the nose and under the eyes, now it seems to be getting worse with more of the deeper welts (1-2 bumps) with drying skin. I'm 45 and this seems pretty unusual. The Dr doesn't think it's the meds. I'm drinking water with every meal but binge on beer about once a week while watching sports. Anyone else have acne or bumps breakout on face or other place from Hhydrochlorothiazide?"

Meetch January 22, 2015

For Edema: "Well! You would not think to get such a thing at the age of 36, But it is me you know? And anything annoying like that usually has to bite me in the rear. But this medicine gave noticeable results a couple of days later. I can now see the knots on my ankles again! And I no longer have legs like John Goodman. So I suppose this means my kidneys are not up to snuff then."

Abbie Hoffman (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Only works when I add other natural supplements like garlic."

Anonymous July 8, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm in my 60's - 5'6 - 128 lbs - have been taking HCTZ for a few years, it worked fairly well but last few times I've had blood pressure checked it has been high- 158/106. Taking 25 mg. No problems with excessive urination or other side effects (thinning hair??), Might need another medication."

d21 April 15, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been having erratic blood preasure but it was starting to go over 140/90 regularly. My MD put me on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. I have a family history of high blood pressure. I am very health conscious and this is the first time I am taking a medicine. So I cut the pill in half (12.5mg) and it dropped my BP the first day to 120/78. I don't think I am urinating more but get leg cramps so I started taking Chelated Potassium. I have been on this medicine for 3 weeks and today is the first day I did not take it because my blood pressure was 114/66. I have to be diligent with this medicine even though I am only taking 1/2 my prescribed dose. I don't like to depend on medicines, I use herbal supplements and exercise. I recommend diligent monitoring of your BP whenever you are prescribed medicines."

Davanse April 7, 2014

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I noticed blood pressure began to stabilize. The side effects were overwhelming. I had very dry mouth, no appetite. During the day constant drowsiness and weakness along with body aches I do not normally experience. I take three other blood pressure medicines."

Butterflyindy68 February 5, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "When I first started taking this medication, my heart was racing, I started getting leg cramps, and I felt bone tired. I felt as if something was not right, so I called the doctor. Turns out he started me on 25 mg and that dosage was too high for me so we cut it to 12.5 mg. Seems to be working much better without all those side effects outright. My advice. Listen to your body, not all medications are one size fits all. You are your best advocate."

MaddyV June 11, 2013

196 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My Dr. put me on this medication for high blood pressure....it made me very sick within two weeks after taking it. I felt like I was coming down with the flu. My muscles were weak my joints began hurting. I had a very low grade fever and wanted to go home and go to bed. Then my bladder began to hurt so bad. I had been on some other type of medication for high blood pressure and the same thing happened with it. I knew that I had experienced this before and immediately stopped the hydrochlorothiazide, and my body went back to normal within a week and a half. Another thing I noticed was my urine was like water there was no color whatsoever in it, until I started taking vitamins and the color returned."

sirkus3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2013

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Edema: "I was given this for edema caused from side effect of meds and side effects of my disease, Sarcoidosis. It was used to alleviate the edema and help flush calcium from my kidneys. I lost 8 lbs the first 3 days on the lowest dosage and I was staying well hydrated. The edema was so bad it was affecting my Blood Pressure (150/110) even though it was only mildly noticeable. Within 3 days I noticed fluid from my legs, back and even chest were gone....didn't even know it was anywhere but my legs. I did notice a mild nagging headache but not sure if it was due to meds or seasonal allergies. Since med could make me tired, I was cautious taking Benedryl (only safe allergy medicine I can take) since I also took Xanax and Percocet. However, I feel energized."

lissad1980 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "The hydrochlorothiazide helps my high blood pressure, but it seems to make losing weight harder, and it is also bad for thinning your hair. "

rosejones April 11, 2012

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Before I started taking this medication my blood pressure was 148/98. It's now 117/78 on a consistent basis and I haven't noticed any side effects."

kstib98509 January 17, 2012

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next