User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Diabetes Insipidus 1 reviews 16 medications

Edema 4 reviews 52 medications

Nephrocalcinosis 3 reviews 10 medications

High Blood Pressure 50 reviews 262 medications

6.1
Osteoporosis 0 reviews 190 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 58 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

For High Blood Pressure: "I guess I should count myself fortunate. I've been on a 25 mg daily dose of HCTZ for a little over a week and have had none of the side effects that others have commented here. It has however been very effective in bringing my BP down from an average of 160/90 to about 135/75. I feel great!"

b52page May 8, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I hate this drug. My Dr. put me on 25mg per day. It makes me light headed, run to the toilet every hour, constipated, and causes leg cramps. I don't know why he added a new drug instead of just upping the dose of Losartan."

gordon59 April 11, 2015

For Nephrocalcinosis: "I was put on Thiazide 25mg for severe life long Nephrocalcinosis (kidney stone disease). I have been on it 6 weeks. Yes it cut my urine calcium in half which is great and what we wanted but I have had some terrible side effects: Daily migraines and new acne daily on jaw line (never had acne until I started this medication). It lowered my potassium levels causing lethargy and muscle weakness. Took a 2 day break and instant stop of headaches and no new pimples for 2 days. Have gone back on it today but only taken 12.5mg to see if it makes a difference, only time will tell if I get a headache soon and then I will know for sure it is the tablet causing it."

Nephromum (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "This medicine is ok nothing to be scared of, I hate taking pills and my blood pressure was extremely high so I was prescribed this and I changed the way I ate I'm 31 years old and healthy otherwise. Within a month(it toke time) my blood pressure was at high risk level which was lower than before. Probably because I still had a lot of weight to lose. I remember feeling tired at first. As I got used to the medicine I was able to hot the gym again."

hatepills31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effects: extreme dry mouth, nausea."

mch999 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am hypertensive and have been on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 yrs, and at 12.5mg for 1 yr before that. For the last yr I have had severe leg cramps, urinating every half hour with extreme pressure, my hair is thinning and a rash developed along my hair line above my forehead and my body temp would drop significantly to 95 so my husband would make hot drinks and wrap me in blanket. On top of that my blood pressure went up. A dr where I'm vacationing cut the med back to 12.5mg and from the first day my pressure is normal, my body temp has stabilized, with no drops. The dr here said too much of this med wipes out potassium and since reducing to 12.5mg, in 4 days I feel much better"

Elizabeth24 February 10, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was given 25mg of this for my blood pressure plus 40 mg of lisinopril. I have never had acne in my life on my face. It was around the same time that I started this meds. The acne started as little white bumps around the nose and under the eyes, now it seems to be getting worse with more of the deeper welts (1-2 bumps) with drying skin. I'm 45 and this seems pretty unusual. The Dr doesn't think it's the meds. I'm drinking water with every meal but binge on beer about once a week while watching sports. Anyone else have acne or bumps breakout on face or other place from Hhydrochlorothiazide?"

Meetch January 22, 2015

For Edema: "Well! You would not think to get such a thing at the age of 36, But it is me you know? And anything annoying like that usually has to bite me in the rear. But this medicine gave noticeable results a couple of days later. I can now see the knots on my ankles again! And I no longer have legs like John Goodman. So I suppose this means my kidneys are not up to snuff then."

Abbie Hoffman (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Only works when I add other natural supplements like garlic."

Anonymous July 8, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm in my 60's - 5'6 - 128 lbs - have been taking HCTZ for a few years, it worked fairly well but last few times I've had blood pressure checked it has been high- 158/106. Taking 25 mg. No problems with excessive urination or other side effects (thinning hair??), Might need another medication."

d21 April 15, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been having erratic blood preasure but it was starting to go over 140/90 regularly. My MD put me on hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. I have a family history of high blood pressure. I am very health conscious and this is the first time I am taking a medicine. So I cut the pill in half (12.5mg) and it dropped my BP the first day to 120/78. I don't think I am urinating more but get leg cramps so I started taking Chelated Potassium. I have been on this medicine for 3 weeks and today is the first day I did not take it because my blood pressure was 114/66. I have to be diligent with this medicine even though I am only taking 1/2 my prescribed dose. I don't like to depend on medicines, I use herbal supplements and exercise. I recommend diligent monitoring of your BP whenever you are prescribed medicines."

Davanse April 7, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I noticed blood pressure began to stabilize. The side effects were overwhelming. I had very dry mouth, no appetite. During the day constant drowsiness and weakness along with body aches I do not normally experience. I take three other blood pressure medicines."

Butterflyindy68 February 5, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "When I first started taking this medication, my heart was racing, I started getting leg cramps, and I felt bone tired. I felt as if something was not right, so I called the doctor. Turns out he started me on 25 mg and that dosage was too high for me so we cut it to 12.5 mg. Seems to be working much better without all those side effects outright. My advice. Listen to your body, not all medications are one size fits all. You are your best advocate."

MaddyV June 11, 2013

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My Dr. put me on this medication for high blood pressure....it made me very sick within two weeks after taking it. I felt like I was coming down with the flu. My muscles were weak my joints began hurting. I had a very low grade fever and wanted to go home and go to bed. Then my bladder began to hurt so bad. I had been on some other type of medication for high blood pressure and the same thing happened with it. I knew that I had experienced this before and immediately stopped the hydrochlorothiazide, and my body went back to normal within a week and a half. Another thing I noticed was my urine was like water there was no color whatsoever in it, until I started taking vitamins and the color returned."

sirkus3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Edema: "I was given this for edema caused from side effect of meds and side effects of my disease, Sarcoidosis. It was used to alleviate the edema and help flush calcium from my kidneys. I lost 8 lbs the first 3 days on the lowest dosage and I was staying well hydrated. The edema was so bad it was affecting my Blood Pressure (150/110) even though it was only mildly noticeable. Within 3 days I noticed fluid from my legs, back and even chest were gone....didn't even know it was anywhere but my legs. I did notice a mild nagging headache but not sure if it was due to meds or seasonal allergies. Since med could make me tired, I was cautious taking Benedryl (only safe allergy medicine I can take) since I also took Xanax and Percocet. However, I feel energized."

lissad1980 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "The hydrochlorothiazide helps my high blood pressure, but it seems to make losing weight harder, and it is also bad for thinning your hair. "

rosejones April 11, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Before I started taking this medication my blood pressure was 148/98. It's now 117/78 on a consistent basis and I haven't noticed any side effects."

kstib98509 January 17, 2012

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken hydrochlorothiazide for a number of years and felt that it helped lower my BP but recently began feeling more fatigued so my doctor raised my dose to 50mg. I have had severe rashes and edema ever since. She is now running test to see if I have developed Lupus. I had just 3 months ago been diagnosed with fibromialgia. I am in severe pain, have large rashes on both legs that itches ALL the time and my feet and legs are so swollen that I can hardly walk especially in the morning and late evening. She took me off HCTZ 5 days ago until the results of test comes back. I am also taking 240 mg of Diltiazem Hcl and 20 mg of Altace. I need help and answers fast. Have never been so sick."

Anonymous October 9, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I have used hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg for about 2 months now. It has significantly lowered my blood pressure but I have noticed the arches in my feet hurt and some leg pain and dry mouth, I also feel I don't have the same ambition. I do not urinate any more frequent then usual. I do think it has effected my sex life though as in lowing my sex drive. I take this along with a beta blocker called propranolol 20mg. I will have to get my potassium checked to see how it is doing though."

Anonymous July 22, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I was given hydrochlorothiazide in combination with a beta blocker for high blood pressure. Sadly, this diuretic did not succeed in lowering my blood pressure. The label says to take it no less than four hours before bed to avoid getting up in the night; however, I found myself getting up in the night even if I took the pill at 7 in the morning. During the day, however, there was not a major delta in urinary frequency or amount. The diuretic actually made me sweat more. Somehow, this medication also cleared up my acne. My dermatologist confirmed that this is medically possible."

arickp June 28, 2011

HydroDIURIL (hydrochlorothiazide) for High Blood Pressure: "I use this medicine for my high blood pressure."

Anonymous June 25, 2011

For Nephrocalcinosis: "I was put on hydrochlorothiazide by my urologist for the prevention of kidney stones. I was a regular producer of a stone every 12-18 months prior to starting hydrochlorothiazide. It has been 5 years and counting without a kidney stone. That's the up side. The down side is after about 6 months on this medication I had my first bout with gout. Ever since then I regularly have to deal with gout about every other month. I feel like I traded one type of severe, less often pain for a lower, more recurring pain."

Anonymous May 30, 2011

For Diabetes Insipidus: "Chlorathiazide and Chlorpromide work well for my Diabetes. DDVAP would not work."

Anonymous March 2, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm 21, 5'4 125 pounds, very active. Hypertension runs in my family sadly and there is no escaping from it. It ran in the 140/mid to high 90's range. I was put on hydrochlorothiazide two months ago. At first I didn't like it because obviously it makes you urinate like crazy, and I hated waking up in the middle of the night to go because I would have trouble falling back to sleep. I started taking it early in the morning instead of 3pm, and my problem was easily solved. Other side effects I have noticed, I've lost around 10 pounds of water weight within the last two months. My blood pressure is now in the low 130's, mid 80's range, and I feel great. I probably will end up on a higher dose in the future."

jayneelea December 15, 2010

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Edema: "I lost a lot of water weight in the first few days, but my edema did not improve. I ended up having to combine it with Lasix. The cocktail of diuretics controlled my edema, and I have not had another flare up in a year. The combination took a few months to get it under control, but I did start to see the swelling go down within the first week or two. The negative was that I had to take mag-ox and potassium pills that were horrible to swallow and the mag-ox gave me headaches for about the first month."

Leslie29 December 9, 2010