User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene

Also known as: Dyazide, Maxzide, Maxzide-25

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene.

Edema 4 reviews 52 medications

7.6
High Blood Pressure 18 reviews 261 medications

6.6
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene reviews 22 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene

Review by HowDoIHaveHTN (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: I've been on this medication for two weeks and my blood pressure has definitely dropped from 150-180/96 to 118/68. My main side effect is severe nausea right after taking it in the morning. I've tried to take it with food, milk, and lots of water, but my stomach will hurt for an hour or more no matter what. Unfortunately, I just have to stick it out since I'm only 24, 5'5 and 115 lbs, exercise regularly, and eat really healthy. Also, if you're taking this medication make sure your doctor is checking your potassium and electrolyte levels. Should be done within the first month of starting the medication.

November 21, 2013 7:24 AM

Review by knerak1918:

For High Blood Pressure: Been taking hydrochlorothiazide/triamteren for 10 days. My blood pressure is 106/66 now. I take my BP twice a day. It sometimes runs as high as 160/90. I only take BP med Benicar when BP is high. Also take atenolol 25mg -1/2 tablet twice a day for fast heart beat. I feel good but am wondering if the low BP is ok. Female 71 years old 140 pounds 5'3.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 1:24 PM

Review by Ken B:

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: I started using Maxzide 15 years ago and it reduced my blood pressure which was between 135 and 160 to less than 130. I am now 71 and another medicine has been added. But 15 years on side effects and all was well.

July 12, 2013 6:51 AM

Review by SoupBowl:

For High Blood Pressure: It works, but I am constantly urinating and constipated. I lost five lbs within two days after starting this medication, but I feel that I am losing too much water. I am thirsty, but I avoid drinking water because of the constant urination. My mother has been on it for decades and was diagnosed with gout last year. Her specialist told her the hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene caused the gout. She is no longer on the medication, but still having gout flare-ups. I haven't taken it for about a week, and I decided to reduce my salt and reduced the amount of food I am eating since I am overweight. It has been working, but I am monitoring my blood pressure by taking readings every morning and evening. I'll see what the doctor says.

June 15, 2013 7:46 AM

Review by clare n. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for Edema: Used this to treat water retention and worked great. Passed a lot of urine quickly.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2013 8:38 PM

Review by waternam:

For Edema: I have high blood pressure and edema. The hydrochlorothiazide definitely made me lose water weight- about 6-7 pounds but it really seemed to cut sexual desire and often made me nauseous and gave me diarrhea. I had to stop taking it because of the nausea. The night after the first day I'd stopped taking it, my sexual desire returned but when I got up to urinate, I noticed the veins on my penis were abnormally enlarged. The veins went back to normal after that night. I think I had a reverse reaction when my body tried to adjust to the medicine being out of my system. Probably the water had no escape mechanism without the medication.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2012 11:02 AM

For High Blood Pressure: This medicine was added because Atenolol alone was not controlling the borderline high blood pressure. I didn't have much side effects at first, but now I can't walk a block with getting very painful leg cramps. My doctor told me to quit taking it until he can run blood tests. I have been drinking lots of water, which was supposed to help with the cramping, but has not relieved it.

September 30, 2011 4:38 PM

Review by gsf:

For High Blood Pressure: I have been using this medication successfully for several years. Lowered blood pressure and no side effects. This last month my prescription company switched manufacturer and I had a severe reaction to the drug. Please be careful if the pharmacy switches brands. The manufacturers are not all the same.

March 27, 2011 4:41 PM

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: I had a very bad reaction to Dyazide for high blood pressure. After 3 days, I was overwhelmed by disorientation, heart palpitations, muscle cramps in my feet and legs, dizziness, and nausea. Although I was drinking a great deal of water, I was found to be severely dehydrated with electrolyte imbalance.

November 15, 2010 7:20 PM

Review by duhbraz:

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: I had tried numerous blood pressure medications. Almost all affected my sexual performance negatively, and I also experienced headaches in the morning ALL EXCEPT THIS MEDICATION! This was without a doubt the best I had used to date. Please comment if you have tried, I would like to hear from others who have.

April 10, 2010 9:52 AM

Review by njmonica:

For Edema: The swelling in my feet and ankles decreased over the course of five days but it interacted with my anti-depressant medication and rendered it useless. I couldn't even force myself to get out of bed. I lost all interest in activities that I had enjoyed. Had to stop taking it.

December 3, 2009 12:29 PM

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: The best !! I was able to drop all of my other medications with the help of this drug..

November 11, 2009 12:56 PM

Review by Lord Byron:

For High Blood Pressure: My doctor prescribed Triamterene/HCTZ 37.5 once a day about 6 months ago. In the meantime I experienced severe silent migraine type symptoms (light-sensitivity, motion sensitivity, brain fog, irritability, not able to read or think clearly) which I have never had before. My doctor even did a brain MRI to try to find the cause but never thought of my medicines side effects. I quit this medicine on my own and immediately noticed no more headache symptoms! Have been off for 2 months now and no silent migraine instances have occurred.

September 16, 2009 12:13 PM

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: I am a 52 year female and have been on Dyazide for 10 days. I have had no side effects from the medication and edema in my leg has cleared up completely. I have also lost 12 pounds of water weight. Blood Pressure has improved, but still higher than it should be.

September 12, 2009 6:10 PM

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: I am 39 years old, my doctor prescribed this medicine to help lower my blood pressure. From the first day, it made me very nauseous to the point of vomiting. It also made me feel dizzy, lightheaded and short of breath. I stopped taking it after 4 days and felt better. My doctor is switching me to an ACE inhibitor instead....hoping it will be better than this one.

September 10, 2009 10:46 PM

Review by Bashie:

For High Blood Pressure: I am in my early 40's and pretty healthy. I was about 40lbs overweight and before beginning medication I lost 20lbs. My Blood pressure didn't go down, averaging around 139/88, I never had High Blood Pressure until the past 6 months, when I went to the Doctor he put me on Triamterene-Hydrochlorothiazide and within 24 hours, I got THE WORST nausea/dizziness. I gave it a few more days to see if it would subside and when it didn't after 5 days, I had to call the doctor. Although the side effects were unbearable I did notice an instant drop in my Blood pressure to average 117/75. I also noticed another few lbs. drop off, most likely due to the release of the water in my system. I ranked a 3 due to the severe side effects.

September 1, 2009 12:43 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I just started taking it and my leg cramps on the third night were terrible. I am glad to see others said this went away eventually.

April 19, 2009 8:56 AM

Review by elchisolm7:

For : Been taking this medicine for 10 months. I have a sulfide allergy. This is the only medication that we have tried that keeps my blood pressure in check and does not cause a reaction.

January 23, 2009 7:15 PM

Review by Ms. V.:

For High Blood Pressure: I have been taking this medication for about 10 years. It keeps my blood pressure under control and the fluid off. I don't mind the extra trips to the bathroom because I know it is working; taking fluid off my swollen legs and feet.

December 25, 2008 11:11 PM

For High Blood Pressure: Have been taking this for about 2 months now. The first few weeks I was tired and kept getting back and leg cramps at night. My feet are cold a lot now, but my blood pressure is great, I'm no longer tired and I haven't had any cramps. It definitely took a few weeks to get used to, but it's worth it now.

December 16, 2008 9:03 PM

Review by 4Peace:

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: I've been on and off maxzide. When I moved to Texas they took me off it for four years. My blood pressure has been out of control until finally one doctor listened to me when I told them maxzide was the only thing will work - blood pressure is now under control.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2008 4:16 AM

Review by S'NIABLU:

For Edema: I've been taking maxzide-25 for over a year and it definitely keeps the fluid from hanging around the ankles. I initally had a mild nagging headache the first 3 days, after that no problems.

August 7, 2008 3:42 PM

Review by mavisinsb:

For High Blood Pressure: Have been taking this for 16 days, has certainly lowered my blood pressure to normal, from 160 over 87. No noticible side effects. So far so good.

July 10, 2008 10:46 PM