User Reviews for Orthovisc

Learn more about Orthovisc.

Orthovisc Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 260 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Orthovisc to treat Osteoarthritis

"After years of experience dealing with back problems, I had assumed my knee pain was from the pain radiating down my leg and into my knee. I was actually surprised to hear the diagnosis of severe arthritis . My orthopedic Dr. Did all 3 Orthovisk injections in the same visit. In two weeks the improvement was remarkable! The benefits lasted through 6 to 7 months. Due to changes in insurance my cost jumped from 50$ to 650$( for Orthovisk only to be delivered to Dr office, not including actual procedure) and it's a struggle, but I can definitely say it's worth every penny!"

Bean4516 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2015

"I have had Orthovisc every 16-24 months for pain in my knees (osteoarthritis). It seems to really work a couple weeks to a month after the last of the three injections. I think, the main reason is my knees are healing from the multiple injections. I use ice on my knees on post-injection days one through four after walking over 2 miles. Ice seems to help feel the ache. I always start to feel better on Day Six, and the next day I start this all over again. It does help me. I go from barely walking 2 miles total a day to around 4. My swelling never totally goes away in my knees although, I think about the pain less. I use to get the injections for free but this time UnitedHealthcare PPO was $400 & you can ask to split payment over 4months."

ChristiAZ June 22, 2015

"What a waste of money I paid a copay of $400 for 3 injections in my left and right knee. I am bone on bone they are worst now after the shots ortho visc should be investigated for false claims on what their product doesn't do, very dissapointed. I tryed to complain on their site but there is no contact us on their page"

mb626 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2015

"I am a 45 yr old female with moderate rt knee osteo which feels severe because I have bone on bone rt hip osteo. I have tried cortisone before, which worked great , but it seems osteo increased when the cortisone wore off over a very short time. I was desperate to try another therapy for my knee since I have always been active , but lately stairs and long stents of walking are extremely hard for me . I tried orthovisc for my knee in the last month : 3 shots 1every 7 days for 3 wks. The first shot was ok - 2nd shot : I felt great after a week- the third shot was painful and took a little longer to recover. I'm assuming the 3rd shot was most painful due to soreness at injection site. I notice the achiness during rain has went away."

Shantel -chicago,Il. June 12, 2015

"I had Synvisc injections in my knees last year and they didn't seem to help much, this year I got the Orthovisc injections and they have really made my knee joints hurt much worse than before taking them"

BB45701 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Bone Spur with Osteoarthritis and severe pain in my left knee before I began the 3 injections. Received the last of the the 3 today. I am amazed at this treatment. I am noticing a difference and it is huge. I went from using a cane to walking on my own, pain free."

Grammie65 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

"At my first three injections on my right knee it didnt work right away but now two weeks after what a relief in pain from a 10 to a 2. Now I asked to do my left knee, I can't bend it when I walk. Hope it works then I wont limp when I walk excited."

mb626 April 9, 2015

"I have arthritis in both knees. One is severe bone on bone the other is moderate. So they started injections in my left knee first as the right one wasn't bothering me too much as the cortizone shots was still slightly effective. So got two shots not too bad as far as pain. Go get the 3rd one and the doctor didn't take her time like before to find just the right spot and she injected me. As soon as she started putting the fluid into my knee I felt a burning liquid feeling going from the injection site (the outside of my knee to the inside of my knee) It didn't stop there. It felt as she put more in like my knee was going to explode out the side. I was not expecting that. I just held my breath and when she was done I said. Wow that hurt. Why"

Anonymous March 20, 2015

"I'm 58 and have Osteoarthritis in both knees but have moderate pain in my right knee. My Ortho Doctor recommended the typical 3 weekly injections for the right knee and said realistically they were around 50% effective. I just finished the third injection yesterday and went from a 3-4 pain level to zero pain. I can now walk normally without limp. Wow ..... what a difference! The injections were not painful, just a little pressure and took around 1 - 2 minutes to complete. I highly recommend to try at least the first injection. If there's no relief, don't bother with the remaining. Fortunately insurance covered all but $50 for the Orthovisc prescription plus my office co-pay. Can't wait to get back to a good exercise routine."

Randy W (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

"I have knee osteoarthritis. Medium to severe, with severe meaning I need to go down stairs one at a time. I am an active tennis player and have been for over 40 years. I am almost bone on bone. I did not feel the discomfort of the shots were any big deal. A little pinch or pressure, but nothing really. I made a concerted effort not to play tennis during the four week period of the injections. After the fourth week, my knee pain went from a 7 to a 2. I was amazed and could walk down stairs with NO pain. A week later, buoyed by how great my knees felt, went out and played three hard sets of doubles. Some discomfort after playing. Maybe up to a 4 in pain. Played a couple more time and now I feel like I am right back where I started."

Tennis60 November 19, 2014

"I have osteoarthritis. I could not bend my knees. Walking was impossible. My dr. Discussed using the cortizone injections. They would help for a week or so. And then back to pain. Well, my dr. Discussed the Orthovisc injections. I'm on my 2nd injection and what a relief. There is some swelling after but nothing ice packs can take care of. I recommend these injections for me ..they worked. Now hopefully they will help for 6mos. .. but I would certainly have them again."

anna/texas (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2014

"While doing a twist in Zumba in January I felt a pop and terrible pain in my knee. I was in great pain when walking, for a month, with a knee I have never had a problem with. When I went to the orthopedic Dr he told me I was bone on bone and a candidate for knee surgery. I am 68 yrs old, very active and have never been overweight, I was shocked at the diagnosis. Cortisone gave me no relief. Starting in March I had one injection for 4 weeks, with minimal relief. A month after the last shot (middle of May) I got out of bed with 90% relief and a bit more improvement for 5 to 6 days. It is now 5 months and I am almost pain free! I will have this again when it wears off."

Red G September 24, 2014

"Just had two injections, one in each knee. The first of four injections. I am not feeling any pain at the moment but they say this is only temporary, that it will take all four injections for the best relief. I will say that I only felt a slight prick of the needle, felt no pain what so ever...can't wait for the other three.."

jeep girl May 27, 2014

"I am 32 and have bad arthritis in my knee basicly bone on bone the Dr says, but I'm way to young for a knee replacement. The Dr recommended the the 4 Orthovisc injections every week for 4 weeks. Not going to lie, getting the shot itself was very uncomfortable. I have had 2 so far, and they have helped with pain but its getting the shots I don't like. They are helpful but expect to feel discomfort during and for the few hours after the shot my leg feels heavy till I " walk it out"."

Amber P May 16, 2014

"I have arthritis in both shoulders. It's a wear and tear issue as I'm 68 years old and have been exercising fanatically for 50 years. My orthopedic doctor recommended Orthovisc injections and I have had great results. I heartedly recommend Orthovisc. Some studies have shown that people facing replacement issues have been able to put off the surgery or even avoid it altogether when following a regimen of two series a year with Orthovisc."

Shoulder arthritis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2014

"I was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis and had surgery to fix meniscus tear. Osteoarthritis is bone on bone, tibia and femur, on the outside of my left knee. Probably due to trauma playing soccer. I am 45 year old women. Played soccer since 3rd grade, high school, college and after. Since 2000 I've mainly only run. Jan 22, 2014 was my surgery. Just over a month after my surgery, I had my first injection. I did not say anything to anyone because I surprised at how much better the knee felt. Normally just walking I would have sharp pain on the outside of knee, after shot, I did not feel this. On day two after shot, I walked for exercise over 3 miles and my knee felt great. I hope the next 2 injections go just as well and hope this pain free feeling lasts."

boopah (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Its been 5 weeks since I had my 3rd injection I still feel sharp pains every 3rd step but no where near the pain I Had."

Faaaaa January 30, 2014

"I am 42 years old. Had 4 weekly injections of Orthovisc for chondromalacia/osteoarthritis. I unfortunately had no relief of my symptoms. The injection itself is not all that painful."

LisaCh January 22, 2014

"I had meniscus tears in both knees almost 20 years ago. I've had knee pain ever since. I had the series of injections about two months ago and my knees felt great for about five weeks. I don't know if it's wearing thin or what, but now I've got more pain than I ever had before the injections and the pain is nearly 24/7. Makes me feel like there's some kind of scam involved, like they know that when it wears off it will be worse due to getting used to less pain for a short time. I do NOT recommend it."

Will K January 17, 2014

"I had the 3 injections done in August 2012 and had no relief. In Nov 2013 had 3 injections again and still no relief. In pain 24/7."

vik1957 January 7, 2014

"I got diagnosed with chondromalacia in both knees 7 years ago. Fast forward to the present, it's now osteoarthritis in both knees and clearly visible on xray. I got the Orthovisc shots for the first time this month. The shots are rather unpleasant, sure, but they are totally worth it. Your knees will be rather sore for the next 24 hours, but it's tolerable. I'm extremely pleased with the results. I had been taking Voltaren for a few years, and that only alleviated the worst of the symptoms. The stiffness from sitting long periods or waking up in the morning is almost completely gone. Stairs no longer hurt. I still have to ice my knees and experience some stiffness after workouts. Nothing will bring my old knees back, I guess."

FlaviaDeLuce December 13, 2013

"At age 72 I had 4 weekly shots of Orthovisc on both, bone-to-bone knees. During the first 45 minutes after injection the knees feel like brand new again. Then, it wears off. But..after 2 weeks upon completion of the 4 shots, my knees feel wonderful. An amazing treatment, give it some time to really start working."

Josh D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Had my left knee meniscus removed 30 years ago. I was told then "If you don't have it removed you will get arthritis when you are older". Well I have Mild to Moderate arthritis now anyway. Had my first series of injections in May of 2012. After 4 weeks I was 99% pain free for 8 months. Had the second series in March of 2013. Both times the middle shot was painful for a couple of hours. And then sore two days. No issues with the other 4 shots. With the start of snowboard season, I am looking at doing my third series. "

Meniscus removed 30 years ago (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2013

"I have had these shots 4 times now. They say the relief lasts about 6 months, but this last time I was able to go 11 months without a shot. I am working out every day and playing tennis again. Love it!"

Barb T (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2013

"6 months ago a doctor injected Euflexxa. My knee was sore for 4 months. On the fifth month my knee got really bad, pain and swollen. A month later doctor starting injecting Orthovisc, on the first injection in felt like the doctor injected a knee, the inflammation went down and the pain went down 70%. Shot number two hurt and I was swollen and had pain for three days. Third shot didn't hurt and it was like the last piece of a puzzle. My knee feels amazing. Will definitely have these ones again. Let see how long they will last."

Cdiep1 October 15, 2013