User Reviews for Orthovisc

Learn more about Orthovisc.

Orthovisc Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Orthovisc to treat Osteoarthritis

"11-23-15 I got shot #1of Orthovisc. The shot itself was not painful, but afterwards the pain became intense. There was swelling, redness at the injection site and at times, excruciating pain. 11-30-15 I was given a cortisone shot to get the reaction under control. 12-3-15 I got shot #2. The injection wasn't painful but afterwards was horrible. There was redness at the injection site; swelling from the thigh to the ankle; fatigue; weakness; mild edema; pain body-wide, with arthritis type pain in my joints and the excruciating pain in the knee. 12-7-15 Given a prescription for Prednisone. Did not receive shot #3. Finally, the last couple of days I can say the symptoms are about half gone. 1-29-16 Do your research."

Suze13 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

"Love this treatment! I had immediate relief and no side effects. Shots were painless. It's been 3 years since my last series of Orthovisc. I'm back to exercising with no knee pain."

PMMqt January 23, 2016

"I had my first of three injections of Orthovisc yesterday (1/14/16) into my left knee. The physician numbed the skin and injected the lubricant. I did not experience any discomfort. The day after the injection I have not experienced any negative side effects. The overall effectiveness of Orthovisc is still up in the air but I'm eager to keep moving forward with the treatment. I will post again after completing the three injections."

Maine Man (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

"I've been getting the injections in both knees for several years from my Ortho and have experienced some relief from the pain in my knees. Both the doctors and MA's on staff are extremely proficient in performing the procedures and I have never had any discomfort during the procedure. I have also been diagnosed with "end-osteoarthritis" in both shoulders and look forward to receiving the injections to either put an end to or reduce the pain that I experience."

Rock-a-billy willy January 1, 2016

"I was in so much pain from my knees with arthritis, bone rubbing on bone - I had my first set of injections in April. I took a month or so to really fell the effects. No more pain and swelling when standing and doing house cleaning, etc. I had the second set 6 months later. I can go up and down stairs. I can do house work, gardening, and shopping with minimal pain. Best thing I ever did for myself."

greatful December 4, 2015

"I don't know if this has anything to do with orthovisc, but I have had continual shortness of breath, exhaustion and waves of nausea, especially following the second dose (I had 4). These symptoms have continued for weeks and the hospital and doctors can find no other cause."

betsy3828 December 3, 2015

"I had my third shot on Nov. 11. So far, I am not impressed. Getting the shots did not hurt at all. Just a pinch and I felt the fluid go in a little bit. Not a problem. I have no relief at all as of yet. My doctor did say that it can take up to a month after the third shot, which will be Dec. 11. I really hope that he is correct. My pain level is at least a 5 every day, and once a day shoots up to a 10. This is all after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus. My next course of action is total knee replacement. At 54, I did not expect this to happen. I am so disgusted. Just praying that the shots kick in soon. Not happy at this point."

Maria A. November 19, 2015

"My knees were so bad I could barely walk around the office without limping. I had cortisone shots in both knees, which helped, but the Orthovisc treatment has been remarkable. A very noticeable improvement: I am much more able to walk, stay on my feet for hours, work in the yard, etc. As many others have commented, the first injections (one in each knee) were painful and left me limping. The three remaining injections, however, were painless. I don't know how long the impact will last, but so far, so good. The only downside is the cost. I have a high-deductible plan, and I ended up paying over $1,000 for the treatment. I hope I do not have to do this more than once a year at the most."

PhotoJack45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

"The pain has got worse in both knees I have a hard time walking, standing even sitting too long. I wake up thru the night in pain I had only small amount of back pain thru the injection and some headaches which all stop 2/3 days after injection. But the pain has been going on for 6 weeks with no relief"

yrrehs November 15, 2015

"Just had first injection (both knees) For the third series of orthovisc. The first injection is always the worst- more painful and I feel lazy the remainder of the day. I recommend getting the shots at the end of the day vs first thing in the morning if you can. The shots have been amazing for me. I am able to ski, ride my dirt bike, hike with very little, if any, discomfort the majority of the time. Walking up and down stairs is no longer an excruciating experience."

Tskiride (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 9, 2015

"This is my third round of orthovisc. My great fear was the pain during the injections as well as after. I got the first round last Monday. The first knee was killer! For the other knee she used lidocaine type medicine and then the orthovisc. Easy peazy!!!!! I am eager to get back on my bike and ride until winter gives me no choice but to stay indoors. I am grateful for orthovisc. I've had 3 years of success - although I do NOT recommend waiting a year between treatments. It was a bad decision for me."

Ydehoyos (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 8, 2015

"Unfortunately, the 3 injections in my knee have done nothing to alleviate the pain, in fact, it is 3 weeks after all shots & my knee is slightly worse than before. I am hoping that by 6 months, when it wears off for those who experienced excellent results, for me, it will be back to "normal". Perhaps another brand will work better for me. The 1st shot did not hurt at all, but after 2 days, it became very painful, so much so I could not sleep. It did finally settle down, but I did consider not finishing the shots at all. 2nd was somewhat painful and left a small bruise. The third was just a little painful. Before the shots, I wore a knee brace during the day & do that now, too My doctor says I am not a candidate for replacement surgery."

JC19999 September 17, 2015

"I just started my second round of Orthovisc. The first round was administered by the surgeon and was tolerable. I had my first shot of my second round last week by a Non Operative Orthopedist because the surgeons within this practice will no longer perform shots and this first shot was unbearable. My knee is killing me so much worse than before the shot. Not sure I will continue tomorrow for the second. I have been bone on bone for 4 years and they refuse to operate because of other under lying orthopedic issues. I really cannot say it was super beneficial the first time but wanted to give it another try being in severe pain. I think it depends on the individual as everyone is different."

Bad back, bad knee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2015

"Got my first shot Sept 3 2015 and it hasn't done anything for me yet. I'm still in a lot of pain. Can anyone tell me how many shots I need before I can feel the relief I have been going through this almost 1 year. Will be a year Oct 19,2015 it's been this way since I had the scope surgery I have prayed and prayed over this knee can't hardly walk some days I believe I'm going to have to get a second opinion from another doctor. Took another MRI again I'm wasting money"

Pie face (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2015

"First shot today! I can walk up and down the stairs with out holding on!!!!yeah! Pain 90 % better than this morning!"

1wildflower August 12, 2015

"After years of experience dealing with back problems, I had assumed my knee pain was from the pain radiating down my leg and into my knee. I was actually surprised to hear the diagnosis of severe arthritis . My orthopedic Dr. Did all 3 Orthovisk injections in the same visit. In two weeks the improvement was remarkable! The benefits lasted through 6 to 7 months. Due to changes in insurance my cost jumped from 50$ to 650$( for Orthovisk only to be delivered to Dr office, not including actual procedure) and it's a struggle, but I can definitely say it's worth every penny!"

Bean4516 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2015

"I have had Orthovisc every 16-24 months for pain in my knees (osteoarthritis). It seems to really work a couple weeks to a month after the last of the three injections. I think, the main reason is my knees are healing from the multiple injections. I use ice on my knees on post-injection days one through four after walking over 2 miles. Ice seems to help feel the ache. I always start to feel better on Day Six, and the next day I start this all over again. It does help me. I go from barely walking 2 miles total a day to around 4. My swelling never totally goes away in my knees although, I think about the pain less. I use to get the injections for free but this time UnitedHealthcare PPO was $400 & you can ask to split payment over 4months."

ChristiAZ June 22, 2015

"What a waste of money I paid a copay of $400 for 3 injections in my left and right knee. I am bone on bone they are worst now after the shots ortho visc should be investigated for false claims on what their product doesn't do, very dissapointed. I tryed to complain on their site but there is no contact us on their page"

mb626 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2015

"I am a 45 yr old female with moderate rt knee osteo which feels severe because I have bone on bone rt hip osteo. I have tried cortisone before, which worked great , but it seems osteo increased when the cortisone wore off over a very short time. I was desperate to try another therapy for my knee since I have always been active , but lately stairs and long stents of walking are extremely hard for me . I tried orthovisc for my knee in the last month : 3 shots 1every 7 days for 3 wks. The first shot was ok - 2nd shot : I felt great after a week- the third shot was painful and took a little longer to recover. I'm assuming the 3rd shot was most painful due to soreness at injection site. I notice the achiness during rain has went away."

Shantel -chicago,Il. June 12, 2015

"I had Synvisc injections in my knees last year and they didn't seem to help much, this year I got the Orthovisc injections and they have really made my knee joints hurt much worse than before taking them"

BB45701 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Bone Spur with Osteoarthritis and severe pain in my left knee before I began the 3 injections. Received the last of the the 3 today. I am amazed at this treatment. I am noticing a difference and it is huge. I went from using a cane to walking on my own, pain free."

Grammie65 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

"At my first three injections on my right knee it didnt work right away but now two weeks after what a relief in pain from a 10 to a 2. Now I asked to do my left knee, I can't bend it when I walk. Hope it works then I wont limp when I walk excited."

mb626 April 9, 2015

"I have arthritis in both knees. One is severe bone on bone the other is moderate. So they started injections in my left knee first as the right one wasn't bothering me too much as the cortizone shots was still slightly effective. So got two shots not too bad as far as pain. Go get the 3rd one and the doctor didn't take her time like before to find just the right spot and she injected me. As soon as she started putting the fluid into my knee I felt a burning liquid feeling going from the injection site (the outside of my knee to the inside of my knee) It didn't stop there. It felt as she put more in like my knee was going to explode out the side. I was not expecting that. I just held my breath and when she was done I said. Wow that hurt. Why"

Anonymous March 20, 2015

"I'm 58 and have Osteoarthritis in both knees but have moderate pain in my right knee. My Ortho Doctor recommended the typical 3 weekly injections for the right knee and said realistically they were around 50% effective. I just finished the third injection yesterday and went from a 3-4 pain level to zero pain. I can now walk normally without limp. Wow ..... what a difference! The injections were not painful, just a little pressure and took around 1 - 2 minutes to complete. I highly recommend to try at least the first injection. If there's no relief, don't bother with the remaining. Fortunately insurance covered all but $50 for the Orthovisc prescription plus my office co-pay. Can't wait to get back to a good exercise routine."

Randy W (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

"I have knee osteoarthritis. Medium to severe, with severe meaning I need to go down stairs one at a time. I am an active tennis player and have been for over 40 years. I am almost bone on bone. I did not feel the discomfort of the shots were any big deal. A little pinch or pressure, but nothing really. I made a concerted effort not to play tennis during the four week period of the injections. After the fourth week, my knee pain went from a 7 to a 2. I was amazed and could walk down stairs with NO pain. A week later, buoyed by how great my knees felt, went out and played three hard sets of doubles. Some discomfort after playing. Maybe up to a 4 in pain. Played a couple more time and now I feel like I am right back where I started."

Tennis60 November 19, 2014