User Reviews for Hyaluronan

Also known as: Orthovisc

Learn more about Hyaluronan.

Osteoarthritis 40 reviews 365 medications

7.8
Summary of Hyaluronan reviews 40 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Hyaluronan

Review by jeep girl:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: Just had two injections, one in each knee. The first of four injections. I am not feeling any pain at the moment but they say this is only temporary, that it will take all four injections for the best relief. I will say that I only felt a slight prick of the needle, felt no pain what so ever...can't wait for the other three..

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 2:21 PM

Review by Amber P:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I am 32 and have bad arthritis in my knee basicly bone on bone the Dr says, but I'm way to young for a knee replacement. The Dr recommended the the 4 Orthovisc injections every week for 4 weeks. Not going to lie, getting the shot itself was very uncomfortable. I have had 2 so far, and they have helped with pain but its getting the shots I don't like. They are helpful but expect to feel discomfort during and for the few hours after the shot my leg feels heavy till I " walk it out".

May 16, 2014 10:49 AM

Review by Shoulder arthritis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I have arthritis in both shoulders. It's a wear and tear issue as I'm 68 years old and have been exercising fanatically for 50 years. My orthopedic doctor recommended Orthovisc injections and I have had great results. I heartedly recommend Orthovisc. Some studies have shown that people facing replacement issues have been able to put off the surgery or even avoid it altogether when following a regimen of two series a year with Orthovisc.

March 21, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by boopah (taken for less than 1 month):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis and had surgery to fix meniscus tear. Osteoarthritis is bone on bone, tibia and femur, on the outside of my left knee. Probably due to trauma playing soccer. I am 45 year old women. Played soccer since 3rd grade, high school, college and after. Since 2000 I've mainly only run. Jan 22, 2014 was my surgery. Just over a month after my surgery, I had my first injection. I did not say anything to anyone because I surprised at how much better the knee felt. Normally just walking I would have sharp pain on the outside of knee, after shot, I did not feel this. On day two after shot, I walked for exercise over 3 miles and my knee felt great. I hope the next 2 injections go just as well and hope this pain free feeling lasts.

March 4, 2014 9:45 PM

Review by Faaaaa:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: Its been 5 weeks since I had my 3rd injection I still feel sharp pains every 3rd step but no where near the pain I Had.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by LisaCh:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I am 42 years old. Had 4 weekly injections of Orthovisc for chondromalacia/osteoarthritis. I unfortunately had no relief of my symptoms. The injection itself is not all that painful.

January 22, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by Will K:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I had meniscus tears in both knees almost 20 years ago. I've had knee pain ever since. I had the series of injections about two months ago and my knees felt great for about five weeks. I don't know if it's wearing thin or what, but now I've got more pain than I ever had before the injections and the pain is nearly 24/7. Makes me feel like there's some kind of scam involved, like they know that when it wears off it will be worse due to getting used to less pain for a short time. I do NOT recommend it.

January 17, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by vik1957:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I had the 3 injections done in August 2012 and had no relief. In Nov 2013 had 3 injections again and still no relief. In pain 24/7.

January 7, 2014 4:53 PM

Review by FlaviaDeLuce:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I got diagnosed with chondromalacia in both knees 7 years ago. Fast forward to the present, it's now osteoarthritis in both knees and clearly visible on xray. I got the Orthovisc shots for the first time this month. The shots are rather unpleasant, sure, but they are totally worth it. Your knees will be rather sore for the next 24 hours, but it's tolerable. I'm extremely pleased with the results. I had been taking Voltaren for a few years, and that only alleviated the worst of the symptoms. The stiffness from sitting long periods or waking up in the morning is almost completely gone. Stairs no longer hurt. I still have to ice my knees and experience some stiffness after workouts. Nothing will bring my old knees back, I guess.

December 13, 2013 3:38 PM

Review by Josh D. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: At age 72 I had 4 weekly shots of Orthovisc on both, bone-to-bone knees. During the first 45 minutes after injection the knees feel like brand new again. Then, it wears off. But..after 2 weeks upon completion of the 4 shots, my knees feel wonderful. An amazing treatment, give it some time to really start working.

December 11, 2013 3:08 PM

Review by Meniscus removed 30 years ago (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: Had my left knee meniscus removed 30 years ago. I was told then "If you don't have it removed you will get arthritis when you are older". Well I have Mild to Moderate arthritis now anyway. Had my first series of injections in May of 2012. After 4 weeks I was 99% pain free for 8 months. Had the second series in March of 2013. Both times the middle shot was painful for a couple of hours. And then sore two days. No issues with the other 4 shots. With the start of snowboard season, I am looking at doing my third series.

November 26, 2013 12:44 PM

Review by Barb T (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I have had these shots 4 times now. They say the relief lasts about 6 months, but this last time I was able to go 11 months without a shot. I am working out every day and playing tennis again. Love it!

October 25, 2013 8:19 AM

Review by Cdiep1:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: 6 months ago a doctor injected Euflexxa. My knee was sore for 4 months. On the fifth month my knee got really bad, pain and swollen. A month later doctor starting injecting Orthovisc, on the first injection in felt like the doctor injected a knee, the inflammation went down and the pain went down 70%. Shot number two hurt and I was swollen and had pain for three days. Third shot didn't hurt and it was like the last piece of a puzzle. My knee feels amazing. Will definitely have these ones again. Let see how long they will last.

October 15, 2013 7:49 PM

Review by Steve of Plainfield IL.:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I have had all 3 shots and my knees feel good, NO pain. The shots were spread out 3 weeks in a row, the 2nd week it hurt some but not as bad as the Knee pain I had. I can tell you how nice it is not to have pain.

October 9, 2013 10:15 AM

Review by the plumber (taken for less than 1 month):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: Have arthritis in my right knee. I kneel a lot so my knee is always hurting, had the shot done today. 5 hours later crazy to say but my knee feels pretty good. 3 more shots to go. Hopefully this works, tired of the pain.

September 5, 2013 8:39 PM

Review by Ermal (taken for 10 years or more):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: Received 3 shots in April. Very little relief. Now it's Aug -and I've been in agony since July, so didn't work for me. I'm amazed at the comments about playing tennis, hiking, etc. It's all I can do to walk 3 steps.

August 23, 2013 1:57 PM

Review by susiequzy:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: This is my 3rd time for injections but it has been 7 yrs. since the last one. The shots hurt so much I cried. (I am 66 and need replacement surgery). The doc did the injections with my knees bent, he said, because the cartilage is gone and it creates a bigger space. It's been 5 hrs since the injections. Feels better, icing every hour. Hope next week is better.

July 26, 2013 7:09 PM

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: Dr. gave me a numbing shot first then followed with the injection. I've felt great relief and I have been pain free for a few years. I've had ACL Recon, meniscus, etc., and this was the next step! I'm thankful to have the option as I don't want to just swim, I want to continue with soccer, paintball, etc. If you can afford it and/or have insurance I highly recommend it. Ask for the numbing shot before as my Dr. said most orthopedic Dr's don't do that.

May 23, 2013 7:05 PM

Review by Citos (taken for less than 1 month):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I took my 2nd injection two days ago and for the first time in two years I can bend my left knee to a much greater degree. I feel very optimistic about playing tennis again. I was told that I am on bone and bone and needed a knee replacement. Go try this injection before considering surgery.

March 15, 2013 8:49 AM

Review by cicci (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I am a72 year old woman previously very active hiking daily, yoga daily. I fell and tore minuscus in three places...4 doctors have told me to do knee replacements...however I have chosen to do Orthovisc 4 shots every 6 months....as long as I do strengthening exercise I am 90% pain free..however cannot hike hills or mountains and yoga is limited...but can swim and bicycle..Since I know so many with complications from knee surgeries....I will continue on this route. Mind you I lead a very full life and on my feet at least 9 hours a day....

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2012 3:58 PM

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: Had my first injection today. No big deal at all. After reading all kinds of reviews I was anticipating a rough experience. In and out of the office in 20 minutes then off to work.

August 8, 2012 6:10 PM

Review by Amazedgurl (taken for less than 1 month):

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I had a torn meniscus repaired in my left knee a year ago. My knees were killing me. The surgery provided some relief but they both hurt constantly and going upstairs or an incline was awful! I had my first of 3 injections last week. The shot was uncomfortable but bearable. My knees hurt pretty bad for the first few days after the shot. Now almost a week later my knees feel so much better. It's unbelievable. I had learned to deal with pain when I stood from sitting and pain when I sat down! To not feel the pain when I stand is amazing! I highly recommend the injections!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2012 11:07 PM

Review by Jason_WI:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: 38 year old male with history of knee pain and troubles. Osgood Schlatters with both knees from age 14. Have had constant aches and pains for the past three years. Aleve no help, Mobic no help. Cortisone shots helped, but I was interested in something that would help without accelerating the damage. I've been through my three shots of Orthovisc in each knee, last one a week ago. The difference is night and day. No constant ache, no warm knees. Things are great so far.

January 3, 2012 10:54 AM

Review by good4mary:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: I'm 50 years old and overweight. I had a torn meniscus repair (R) in July 2011. I have osteoarthritis in both my knees. I had a cortizone injection in my (R) knee and felt okay for a week, still taking medicines, still in pain. Had the 3 shots of Orthovisc in November and never received any relief. Changed medication (meloxicam) and was given pain medicines. Pain medicines work if I take two, but it really upsets my stomach.

December 28, 2011 12:59 AM

Review by teemike:

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for : I am 52 years old and have had pain in my knee for years, probably due to tearing my patella and fracturing my tibia plateau and I also have a little arthritis. My prior surgery was a huge waste of time and money and got little if no relief. I am now on my 3rd shot in a series of 4 and couldn't be happier. The shot itself is no big deal after they deaden the area with lidocaine, in fact I couldn't even tell when they gave me the shot. I highly recommend this as an alternative to surgery if at all possible.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate