User Reviews for Hycodan

Learn more about Hycodan.

Hycodan review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 980 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Hycodan to treat Cough

Review by Kat85 (taken for less than 1 month):

Worked well in terms of stopping my cough, but even at the lowest dose (5ml) I got extreme nausea and vomiting and had to switch to a different hydrocodone-based syrup.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Faf (taken for 10 years or more):

This seems to be the only cough syrup that stops my chronic non-productive cough as it doesn't knock me out. At one time the directions were 1-2 tsps/4 hours. I found out that 2 tsps will make me drowsy and nauseous so I stick to 1 teaspoon.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2014 6:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication worked great at stopping my cough immediately. I was diagnosed with bronchitis but I think it is now pneumonia. A strange thing happened though. I noticed every time I took it, a few hours later I would feel like I had the flu. My skin would hurt and I would actually get a fever which I didn't have before.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2012 12:34 AM

This cough medicine is AWESOME for the nagging cough that comes with bronchitis.

April 20, 2012 6:25 PM

Review by 6weekcough:

I was prescribed Hycodan tablets for bronchitis 30 years ago and have never been prescribed anything that works as well to get a good nights sleep when I have a bad cough. When I ask for it, even when my doctor prescribed it by name they didn't have it in tablet form at my pharmacy. I end up with Vicodin, which does not work as well to stop the coughing. They both make me sleep, I would never take it in the daytime.

March 7, 2012 11:16 PM

This is the ONLY cough medicine that works. Nothing else allows me to rest, therefore, allows me to get better.

April 28, 2011 10:02 AM

I have an upper respiratory infection, sinus congestion, and middle ear infection, and was given Hycodan for the first time in my life last night at a local emergency room, Within 45 minutes I actually felt human again, and my symptoms did not return until almost 8 hours later. This is an AWESOME medication!

February 7, 2011 9:09 PM

Review by cough_can't _sleep:

Was up 5 times a night coughing. This did the trick. Only take the prescribed dose because it is really strong.

February 2, 2011 8:47 AM

Medicene made me very itchy all over.

January 23, 2011 2:40 PM

Review by GA Green Eyes:

My poor son had a case of bronchitis and would cough until he actually threw up. Off to the Doctor we went and when I saw what the Doctor gave him, I knew he would be better soon. As I had taken it when I was younger and remembered how well it worked.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2010 1:23 PM

Works great for coughs. I do have trouble sleeping though. I sleep better with half of a dose.

July 4, 2010 11:24 PM

Review by Sleepless in the South:

This medicine kept me wired all night long and I only took half of a teaspoon. My mind was racing! No cough though! Did some of my best thinking! Felt extremely tired the next day! Would be great in the day for me rather than at night.

April 6, 2010 7:54 AM

Review by itssandra2u:

Worked well on my cough. Did not suppress it completely which was a good thing since I was coughing up so much phlegm. Was able to rest on the medication. However if I took it during the day I found myself wanting to nod off and if I would not let myself sleep I would get a little dizzy.

November 30, 2009 3:50 PM

Review by bamaboy39:

Made me sleep great.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2009 1:08 PM

Review by zane1457:

I found this medication to be in a completely different class to other other the counter medicines. It knocked the cough out, and for the whole night. I slept like a baby without difficulty in waking up. Follow directions exactly even though teaspoon seems like a tiny amount, it is strong medication. You will not be disappointed with it.

September 16, 2009 9:33 PM

This works great for coughs. I had bronchitis pretty bad and it worked almost immediately. I didn't really look at what the doctor was giving me so I didn't realize right away that it was going to be so strong. I don't take it every four hours as directed. I take it once or twice a day and that is enough. At first I made the mistake of taking it right out of the bottle; big mistake. Don't take more than directed, in my case I was told to take one teaspoon. That is more than enough.

June 26, 2009 2:41 PM

Review by Brampteeboy:

This works very well and tastes great too. I've tried many over the years from my doctor. Only this one works for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2009 7:58 PM

Hycodan worked great for the cough, but I ended up with a rebound headache the next morning. It also made me itchy and have strange dreams. Even with all these side effects, it was worth it to have a good nights sleep.

April 22, 2009 1:59 PM

This medicine is very effective for a nagging cough that won't quit, but be very careful with dosage. I once took 2 teaspoon instead of my regular 1 tsp dose and felt absolutely AWFUL - shaking, agitated, hot flashes, nervous, nauseous.

March 30, 2009 9:08 PM

I have had a hacking cough for about a month that was severely hindering my ability to sleep. I've only used this medicine for one night and last night was the best night's sleep in over a month. Even my boyfriend said I didn't cough in my sleep or toss and turn. This medicine is the third medicine I have tried in this past month. I couldn't ask for a better product.

October 2, 2008 10:01 AM

For years I have a chronic cough as well as some form of arthritis, which denied me a good night of sleep. Lately I have been taking a teaspoon of hycodan syrup along with 2 advil tablets, before going to bed, and got a restful night of sleep and woke up without pain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2008 1:14 PM

Review by NYC1:

I tried about 4 OTC cough medicines to no avail. I have tried Hycodan in the past and this is what I recommend if you want a good medicine for a bad cough.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2008 6:05 PM

Twice I've had dry coughs that weren't helped by OTC syrups. In each case it felt as though I had a bit of dust adhering to wall of my throat. I went for several days without decent sleep because of all the coughing each night. I was miserable. In both cases hydrocodone (once in pill form and once Hycodan syrup) cured the cough and I was able to get a decent nights sleep. If you ever have bronchitis that keeps you up all night coughing, don't waste time being miserable. Go to a doctor.

July 15, 2008 6:36 PM

Works miraculously on a cough. Be careful of the side effects. Makes me somewhat woosey and dizzy. Use only when desperate for relief.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2008 12:01 PM

worked great!!! but it made my skin itch all night.

April 9, 2008 7:46 AM

Learn more about Cough

More about Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone)

Professional resources