User Reviews for Haldol

Learn more about Haldol.

Haldol Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Psychosis.

Reviews for Haldol to treat Psychosis

"This medication worked like a charm. There were no negative side effects and I lost about 15 pounds on it. It controlled all my symptoms perfectly, and really helped me with my anxiety, mild psychosis and depression. I have a PHD and really appreciate how much this drug has helped me during my schooling. I did not relapse after I went off this drug. It has been 4 years since I went off this medication and I am symptom free."

Anonj26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"Very very effective. Would recommend. Helpful medicine for psychosis and mania. Helps with delusions and paranoia and voices and all that comes with a psychotic episode. Only down side is a feeling of anxiety and having to move around and can't sit still for too long when on this med but it is a very effective medication."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

"I've been on Haldol for 5 years. I have schizophrenia. This is the only drug that has worked over the period of having this illness. I don't feel I will ever be symptom free there's no magic pill, but since being on this I've been able to manage things much better than before. Really great. I don't like the possibility of the involuntary muscle disease (can't remember what it's called) but I will take that risk to have this benefit."

LCD7888 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2015

"This was the worst experience I had in my life. I had hallucinations and my b/p was 206/126. It was given IM in the hospital and then at again at the treatment facility. I wrote a letter in my room in case they found me dead. I fought the nurse not to give me another one."

Anonymous September 13, 2015

"Ah, I have a mixed review of Haldol. I started it years ago for psychosis. I've been on many different antipsychotics and for me the older typical ones work better than the newer atypicals. For a while I was so sick I was on both Haldol and Thorazine. That combo really helped a lot. After years of 15 mg of Haldol a day I developed pseudoparkinsonism. I would shake, I had trouble walking, I couldn't write (couldn't form the letters with a pen), and I was drooling all the time. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 months. Eventually it got to the point that my neurologist began to question the pseudoparkinsonism diagnosis -- she thought I was developing actual Parkinson's Disease. I think I'm done with Haldol."

brokenmind (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2015

"Best medicine I've been on to treat my psychosis without affecting my lipids! Experienced a little restlessness nothing major. Great overall experience!"

only1chris8204 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2015

"For years, my Dad had really bad anger issues. He continually kept my Mom in turmoil with his fits of rage to the point that one day she had a Stroke. It was horrendous. When both of them went to a Nursing Home, my Dad was evaluated and diagnosed as being psychotic. The Doctor prescribed Haldol for him and within 3 days, he was a brand new person. He was calm, he laughed, and he was such a joy to visit with. He remained this way until he passed away 5 years later. If he had been given this medicine years before, I feel my Mom would have lived another 20 years."

Anonymous June 24, 2013

"My dad started to see things and think things were happening that were not, He was put on Haldol and it works, they were going to slowly take him off it and when we took his noontime pill away he got bad again almost right away. This medicine really has worked for him and allowed him to stay home with us."

Anonymous December 15, 2011

"This is going to be kind of long and full of detail. I've been using Haldol for about 3 years now. It basically started when hearing voices got really bad. The combination of Geodon and Abilify DID NOT work. I admitted myself inpatient and got my Haldol. I started on 10mg. It took all the nasty symptoms away. And still does to this day. This is a one amazing medicine. I'm at the point with it now, that I can barely take 2.5 mg, (5mg cut in half) without feeling drugged up though. My body became very sensitive from it. You may gain some weight on this medicine. It does give you the munchies. However, I did weight watchers on this medicine and was able to take off some weight. Again, this medicine is down right amazing."

Kazamyst July 5, 2011

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Haldol for a long time and it has controlled my condition very well."

Anonymous April 2, 2010