User Reviews for Intuniv

Learn more about Intuniv.

ADHD 82 reviews 32 medications

6.7
Summary of Intuniv reviews 82 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Intuniv

For ADHD "I don't care for this medicine I developed a rash on both my arms and was so confused I don't suggest adults use this for adhd"

Linda jm June 17, 2015

For ADHD "My 8 year old daughter has been taking the medication for 4 months now and although we have seen a good improvement in her behavior, the weight gain has been substantial. She has gained over 10 lbs in 4 months which is incredibly unhealthy. Her blood pressure has also been on the very low side. Unfortunately for us we can't risk the bad side effects even though we have seen a positive behavior change."

CSL2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

For ADHD "28 yrs old I couldn't take it I was tired all the time"

h83p4x March 13, 2015

For ADHD "Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy: My son is 8 years old and has started taking Intuniv for his behavior, concentration and mood swings. He does have CP. He has never been diagnosed with ADHD so that concerned me when the neurologist wanted to put him on Intuniv. He's taking 1mg at night and I have to tell you he is a new boy! He's cooperative, sleeping well and he is doing better in class."

Concernedatfirstmom (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

For ADHD "I am 21 year's old- this medication is not just for young children- it has taken away the side-effects of my ADHD medication. The only side-effect I was aware of was auditory! When I took the 1st 1mg pill, my hearing was heightened and exhaustive (sounds dragged out) for an hour or so. When I increased to 2mg the same thing happened: a noticeable difference in my hearing for just a short hour or so. My doctor prescribed this to me when the side-effects of Concerta did not leave me; I had anxiety that was clearly not situational but from the drop-off of Concerta in the middle of the day as it is not a steady released medicine but a ADHD medication that releases a dose twice."

Julie3377 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 9, 2015

For ADHD "At 7 yrs old my son was diagnosed with ADHD. We tried a few medications like Concerta & Vyvanse. Both were terrible & either made him a zombie or completely took his appetite away. I discussed with his doctor my concerns about his lack of weight gain & she suggested Intuniv. We started at 1mg, increased to 2mg & finally settled on 3 mg. He's done wonderful with this dose for almost 2 & 1/2 years. Since last Christmas things have taken a downfall & so now we're looking at increasing to 4mg. It makes me nervous. I just hope I'm making the right decision for him."

turtlemama (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2015

For ADHD "I notice that my daughter was having problems in fifth grade would not sit still and would always be getting up to throw paper out and would know who was the last one that went to the restroom. I spoke to the teacher and told them to please evaluate my daughter cause it seems like she has ADHD. They said she was fine. When I started to see her grades they were dropping. I immediately took her to Miami Children's Hospital to the neurologist and they tested her, filled out some papers and yes she was has ADHD. I've tried Concerta, Strattera, Vyvanse and Adderall but the best medicine that has worked for my daughter is Intuniv! She had all F's and now 15 years old and first year of high school she has all A's and B's. Thank you Intuniv!!!"

Yvette/Honey February 2, 2015

For ADHD "My 9 year old son has been taking Intuniv for about a year now and has greatly improved his behavior, mood, impulse control and more. Both myself and his dad suffer from ADHD as well but need Adderall to manage. I was so happy to see a non-stimulant medicine work so well. The only problem we've had is excessive weight gain (excess of 30 lbs in 1 year). To the point its very worrisome. Appointment is set to switch to something new."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2014

For ADHD "My adopted 13 y.o. son has fetal alcohol syndrome causing severe ADHD and failure to thrive. Has been on Concerta for four years. For years his special Education teachers let him run around in the halls to tire him out and lessen the hyperactivity. Even with the Concerta at 36 mg he was extremely hyper. He started Intuniv about a year ago, takes 3 mgs per day plus a reduced Concerta dose (18 mg). No side effects of note. He seems to be doing better hyperactivity wise in school, but I have not noticed a big difference at home. I also still have big problems with him homework-wise too. At 10 y.o. he weighed 60 lbs, with reduction in Concerta dose, he's finally gaining weight (13 y.o., 91 lbs) so that's the trade off we're making."

Sukatra (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2014

For ADHD "My son has been on med since he was 5 for ADHD, he is 8 now. They started him on methylphenadate(Adderall) he didnt gain weight or grow at all hardly. He is now on Intuniv and we love it. He eats the house down. Its not a stimulant so thats wonderful."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 3, 2014

For ADHD "I must say I have been through a lot of medicines. Wasted money but most of all watching my kid struggle with his high anxiety and his inability to focus or sit down. He now focus better in school and his teacher describes him as on task now and takes time to ask her questions if needed. I had a lot of nights crying thinking I was a bad mother! I would lose control and not be able to handle his constant stubbornness and defiance he is a beautiful energetic boy with an amazing personality but just needed to be taken down a few notches. This has done the trick. I started off on 1 mg and did not seem to do to much and after three months decided to move to 2. I tried all natural nothing worked. Good luck."

Rowdyitalian (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2014

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My son was given Intuniv on October 8th of this year. He was on it for eleven days when he started having really bad uncomfortable full body ticks. I stopped the medicines Sunday night it's now Wednesday and he's still having ticks. Dr says it will wear off but as a parents it's very scary."

Scared mom1979 October 22, 2014

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and ADHD. Stimulant control of ADHD was out of the question because it would exasperate Bipolar 2. My doc started me tentatively on Intuniv and told me I may be groggy at first but over time it could help me feel more calm and focused. She was right. The first day I took it right before bed and woke up feeling lethargic. But every day since got progressively better. I was more calm, experienced less anxiety and mood swings, was able to focus and handle stresses more easily, and because I wasn't so anxious or emotional I wasn't overeating. My weight leveled out, I was sleeping through the night and quit getting insomnia, I was able to sit still through classes without fidgeting and really concentrate."

annabelley (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My son took this for a couple of years. At first it was very effective, and I was excited to have a non-stimulant medication to treat his ADHD. It did make him sleepy, and that was problematic, and then its effectiveness wore off. "

idahoAmy October 6, 2014

For ADHD "Great difference in impulse control."

s2k3 September 6, 2014

For ADHD "My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADHD and we tried Adderall and other medicines and the results were nil and side effects awful. We then tried Intuniv at 1mg and results were amazing. My hyper impulsive little guy was doing well in school and his temper was subdued. We added group ADHD therapy for him at a local clinic with other boys his age which also helped hugely. My suggestion to parents is please do not just rely on a medicine. Find a good counselor that will help you and your child by giving you tools to use in every day life, like learning to patiently wait, be a gracious loser, etc. As far as the Intuniv goes.. My son will be 9 in a few months and we are still only on 1mg. Don't rush to 2mgs without giving 1mg a chance."

Oregonmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2014

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My 8 year old son was extremely hyperactive and had anger issues. Even though he was on Adderall. He was constantly biting his brother and sister, arguing with his dad and I, kicking, throwing tantrums and acting like a baby when he didn't get his way. After we added Intuniv to his daily dose of Adderall, he is a completely different child. It has been wonderful. There has been less yelling and arguing, less fighting, he actually gets along and plays with his brother and sister and us. I love this medicine! I only wish we found it sooner. Thank you for giving us our son back!"

JenniferH June 25, 2014

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD recently, this is the first medication he has taken. We started at 1mg working or way up to 3mg, and it's taken in the evening around 5pm. Once at 3mg, my son was extremely sleepy. Even falling asleep in class and in the bus ride home. He was emotional about everything. Even looking for toys, he would cry. He also experienced terrible tummy aches. He became very irritable, I'm guessing because he was sleepy. I had his Dr lower the dosage to 2mg and he is becoming that little guy I know again! He's still kind of sleepy but not as bad and his teacher is noticing a big improvement in his focus at school. We are still working out the kinks but I am hopeful! Best of luck to you all!"

Kristi Murphree February 10, 2014

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My son has been taking intuniv for 3 years now and has shown major improvements. The prior medications were causing my son to have tics and violent outbursts. This medication helps him more with concentration and focus but when that is under control i notice the hyper activity is more tolerable. My sons grades improved drastically and i no longer receive phone calls from his school and teachers (this was a weekly if not daily occurence)."

amg2003 January 19, 2014

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My son is almost six years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He was evaluated due to the fact that he was always in trouble in school, home and getting kicked off of the bus. He also seemed to struggle with focusing on us when we talked. His doctor had us try Intuniv... we started at 1mg every morning. The positive change was very noticeable. He was calmer, had a less aggressive attitude, and even used his indoor voice. It did make him sleepier but that only lasted for the first two days. He is on his third day of 2mg and is doing well. For the past few weeks he hasn't been getting into trouble at school and his bus driver said he is doing amazing. He also seems to be focusing better."

hthompson87 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "This is a great medicine. I have known that my daughter now 7, has always been extremely energetic and talkative her entire life, but her impulsivity, inability to concentrate on work (or play), and energy were really interfering with her school and home life. I was so stressed out every day. The behavioral problems were never ending. I mean this child was ALWAYS in trouble, poor girl! She is now like the little girl that I always knew was hiding away in there, but would only rarely come out, she has all of the same positive personality traits plus more. I feel like I can finally connect with her, like her brain just clicked and she is now living in the same reality as everyone around her instead of lost in her mind. It does make her sleepy."

Mom at the end of her ropes. (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2013

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My 11 year old son has ADHD with anxiety disorder. This medication has helped him manage his anxiety (he is much happier) and he is able to focus better on managing everything from time to his emotions. He has better stamina mentally and can perform mental tasks for longer periods of time. He is also acting more mature and being more responsible. He takes 2mg at night 1 hour before bed along with gummy melatonin to help him sleep. He sleeps well and feels good during the day. Overall this medication has helped him a great deal. It's like it took him out of his anxious rut and gives him a better outlook."

ecbrad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2013

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My son was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and like most parents I refused to believe that anything was "wrong" with my son. After research I decided against medication because of the TERRIBLE reviews and side effects... until I heard about Intuniv. It has been one of the BEST decisions that I have ever made. He still has his happy little personality and still a rambunctious little boy but he is able to sit in class without bouncing off the walls and his grades have really improved. Like previous reviews he was very tired and had headaches in the beginning but like the Dr promised that quickly faded. He is 8 now and will remind me if I forget to give it to him because he says that it makes him feel better, and he sleeps like a log."

AFeazell September 6, 2013

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "I am 39 and have dealt with my ADD for all my life. May of 2012 the Dr. started me out on 1mg, after a week, I could tell a difference. Like a filing cabinet in my brain. However, I was VERY tired. So I decided to take at night. (I've always had a hard time shutting my brain off to sleep) Next week she upped me 2 mg. After a few days, I started to notice I focus more...GREAT!!, and I was sleeping better!! She then put me on 3 mg. I couldn't tolerate it! I started getting hot flashes and thought I was going to pass out! I couldn't sit out in the sun, I had to stay in. So she lowered me back to 2mg. A year later and its the best decision I have ever made. My brain is calm, I am focused and sleep like a bear!"

Carmella1010 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2013

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "25 year old female taking 3mg of Intuniv. I started Intuniv while I was unemployed. It does really help with my focus, keeps me from being super hyper and helped my blood pressure. During this time I would take a lot of naps during the day or even just sleep in till noon. I thought it was just me liking naps and having not much to do during the day. Well I started a new job a month ago and have been falling asleep at my desk. I thought it was another medicine but it did turn out to be my Intuniv. So my doctor is having me go down and see if lower doses will help or not. If not he will be putting me on another medicine. I also tried not taking it for a couple of days, but it caused withdrawal symptoms at the end of day 2."

Insurance Agent Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2013