User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

Guanfacine review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Guanfacine to treat ADHD

Review by s2k3:

Intuniv (guanfacine): Great difference in impulse control.

September 6, 2014 10:43 AM

Review by Oregonmom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Intuniv (guanfacine): My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADHD and we tried Adderall and other medicines and the results were nil and side effects awful. We then tried Intuniv at 1mg and results were amazing. My hyper impulsive little guy was doing well in school and his temper was subdued. We added group ADHD therapy for him at a local clinic with other boys his age which also helped hugely. My suggestion to parents is please do not just rely on a medicine. Find a good counselor that will help you and your child by giving you tools to use in every day life, like learning to patiently wait, be a gracious loser, etc. As far as the Intuniv goes.. My son will be 9 in a few months and we are still only on 1mg. Don't rush to 2mgs without giving 1mg a chance.

August 25, 2014 12:08 PM

Review by Jeanne M.M.:

My son is 10 and was diagnosed with ADHD at age 5. He was on various dosages of stimulant medications before trying Intuniv. He now takes 3 mg of Intuniv and we have been able to reduce his stimulant medication in half. Helps him sleep and morning routine is much better as the Intuniv is fully functioning (given at night).

August 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by JenniferH:

Intuniv (guanfacine): My 8 year old son was extremely hyperactive and had anger issues. Even though he was on Adderall. He was constantly biting his brother and sister, arguing with his dad and I, kicking, throwing tantrums and acting like a baby when he didn't get his way. After we added Intuniv to his daily dose of Adderall, he is a completely different child. It has been wonderful. There has been less yelling and arguing, less fighting, he actually gets along and plays with his brother and sister and us. I love this medicine! I only wish we found it sooner. Thank you for giving us our son back!

June 25, 2014 10:01 AM

Review by Kristi Murphree:

Intuniv (guanfacine): My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD recently, this is the first medication he has taken. We started at 1mg working or way up to 3mg, and it's taken in the evening around 5pm. Once at 3mg, my son was extremely sleepy. Even falling asleep in class and in the bus ride home. He was emotional about everything. Even looking for toys, he would cry. He also experienced terrible tummy aches. He became very irritable, I'm guessing because he was sleepy. I had his Dr lower the dosage to 2mg and he is becoming that little guy I know again! He's still kind of sleepy but not as bad and his teacher is noticing a big improvement in his focus at school. We are still working out the kinks but I am hopeful! Best of luck to you all!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 1:13 PM

Review by amg2003:

Intuniv (guanfacine): My son has been taking intuniv for 3 years now and has shown major improvements. The prior medications were causing my son to have tics and violent outbursts. This medication helps him more with concentration and focus but when that is under control i notice the hyper activity is more tolerable. My sons grades improved drastically and i no longer receive phone calls from his school and teachers (this was a weekly if not daily occurence).

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by hthompson87 (taken for less than 1 month):

Intuniv (guanfacine): My son is almost six years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He was evaluated due to the fact that he was always in trouble in school, home and getting kicked off of the bus. He also seemed to struggle with focusing on us when we talked. His doctor had us try Intuniv... we started at 1mg every morning. The positive change was very noticeable. He was calmer, had a less aggressive attitude, and even used his indoor voice. It did make him sleepier but that only lasted for the first two days. He is on his third day of 2mg and is doing well. For the past few weeks he hasn't been getting into trouble at school and his bus driver said he is doing amazing. He also seems to be focusing better.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2013 11:06 PM

Review by Mom at the end of her ropes. (taken for less than 1 month):

Intuniv (guanfacine): This is a great medicine. I have known that my daughter now 7, has always been extremely energetic and talkative her entire life, but her impulsivity, inability to concentrate on work (or play), and energy were really interfering with her school and home life. I was so stressed out every day. The behavioral problems were never ending. I mean this child was ALWAYS in trouble, poor girl! She is now like the little girl that I always knew was hiding away in there, but would only rarely come out, she has all of the same positive personality traits plus more. I feel like I can finally connect with her, like her brain just clicked and she is now living in the same reality as everyone around her instead of lost in her mind. It does make her sleepy.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2013 10:13 AM

Review by ADHD and ODD (taken for less than 1 month):

Noticeable improvement at school and at home. Started with 1 mg three weeks ago. Completing seat work, better control of emotions and less impulsive. Although he still can be defiant it is very short lived. Much more compliant and less hyper. The medication has not changed his personality and he is much easier to be around. Will sit through dinner, which he never could before and is very helpful and sweet. He is very small at 38 pounds so no plans to increase medication. There has been almost a complete transformation. Slightly sleepy the first week but now has adjusted. He sleeps great but he always did. I would recommend this medication for these issues. Our family is against stimulant medications so this has worked perfectly.

November 9, 2013 6:31 AM

Review by Akes (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm in my late 20's and tried it for ADHD...all I can say is that it really messed up my sleep. It also severely worsened my depression. It has a long half life. Benefits I did notice is that it seemed that my memory improved somewhat, for example could remember several songs playing in a row, also focus seemed improved. I'm considering adding trazodone in hopes of aboring its negative effect on sleep. For anyone complaining about blood pressure side effects, lower your dose.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by ecbrad (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Intuniv (guanfacine): My 11 year old son has ADHD with anxiety disorder. This medication has helped him manage his anxiety (he is much happier) and he is able to focus better on managing everything from time to his emotions. He has better stamina mentally and can perform mental tasks for longer periods of time. He is also acting more mature and being more responsible. He takes 2mg at night 1 hour before bed along with gummy melatonin to help him sleep. He sleeps well and feels good during the day. Overall this medication has helped him a great deal. It's like it took him out of his anxious rut and gives him a better outlook.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2013 8:55 PM

Review by AFeazell:

Intuniv (guanfacine): My son was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and like most parents I refused to believe that anything was "wrong" with my son. After research I decided against medication because of the TERRIBLE reviews and side effects... until I heard about Intuniv. It has been one of the BEST decisions that I have ever made. He still has his happy little personality and still a rambunctious little boy but he is able to sit in class without bouncing off the walls and his grades have really improved. Like previous reviews he was very tired and had headaches in the beginning but like the Dr promised that quickly faded. He is 8 now and will remind me if I forget to give it to him because he says that it makes him feel better, and he sleeps like a log.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 2:43 PM

Review by mom$2013:

My 4 year old son is on this medication. In the beginning it made him sleep all the time and then he stopped sleeping and was mellow. That's been about 2 months ago and now he is back bouncing off the walls hyper. So now we are trying to figure out what to do. He has an appointment with his doctor in a couple weeks. In the beginning it did work for us.

July 11, 2013 2:27 AM

Review by Carmella1010 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Intuniv (guanfacine): I am 39 and have dealt with my ADD for all my life. May of 2012 the Dr. started me out on 1mg, after a week, I could tell a difference. Like a filing cabinet in my brain. However, I was VERY tired. So I decided to take at night. (I've always had a hard time shutting my brain off to sleep) Next week she upped me 2 mg. After a few days, I started to notice I focus more...GREAT!!, and I was sleeping better!! She then put me on 3 mg. I couldn't tolerate it! I started getting hot flashes and thought I was going to pass out! I couldn't sit out in the sun, I had to stay in. So she lowered me back to 2mg. A year later and its the best decision I have ever made. My brain is calm, I am focused and sleep like a bear!

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2013 6:27 PM

Review by Insurance Agent Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Intuniv (guanfacine): 25 year old female taking 3mg of Intuniv. I started Intuniv while I was unemployed. It does really help with my focus, keeps me from being super hyper and helped my blood pressure. During this time I would take a lot of naps during the day or even just sleep in till noon. I thought it was just me liking naps and having not much to do during the day. Well I started a new job a month ago and have been falling asleep at my desk. I thought it was another medicine but it did turn out to be my Intuniv. So my doctor is having me go down and see if lower doses will help or not. If not he will be putting me on another medicine. I also tried not taking it for a couple of days, but it caused withdrawal symptoms at the end of day 2.

May 14, 2013 3:45 PM

Review by JNiss:

Intuniv (guanfacine): My 7-year-old son has ADHD/ODD. His doctor has him on 10mg Prozac and 30mg of Yyvanse in the morning, and 3mg of Intuniv before bedtime (she just upped from 1mg). Unfortunately for the two days he's been on the increased Intuniv, each day he's gone to the nurses office twice because he can't stay awake in class. Getting it reduced to 2mg today and hoping he becomes less zombie-like.

February 1, 2013 4:09 PM

Intuniv (guanfacine): I'm ADD, no H included. My 11 year old daughter is also ADD. Ritalin has always worked just fine for me however, I decided to try intuniv after my Dr. prescribed it for my daughter, saying that it was better because it wasn't habit forming and that it wasn't a stimulant. After 2 weeks of feeling extremely tired I then began to have headaches, feel like I was going to collapse at any given moment, and couldn't even drive due to the extreme comatose state I felt I was in. My vision also became blurred and I was very dizzy. I can see how this medication might benefit someone with ADHD as it lowers blood pressure and seems to slow the person down but I don't recommend it for ADD. It was a miserable nightmare! I took my daughter off it as well.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2012 3:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My 7 year old son is taking it.

November 2, 2012 12:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Intuniv (guanfacine): Has really helped with mood swings. Helps control violent outbursts.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2012 12:58 PM

Review by kaykay0987-2311 (taken for less than 1 month):

Intuniv (guanfacine): My 7 year old grandson has been on Intuniv for 16 days. He had been on 40 mg Vyvanse alone with it wearing totally off after 5 hours. We were reevaluated because of this and Dx changed from ADD to ADHD. Intuniv was added to his regiment. We started out at 1 mg and upped to 2 mg after 7 days. We give it to him about 7 pm and by his 8 pm bedtime, he is calming down and is able to fall asleep within 5-10 minutes. I have seen a tremendous improvement in his attitude, ability to focus and coping skills. He was unable to sleep well while on the Vyvanse alone. This is allowing him the ability to get the much needed deep sleep and this also is helping him out. One good thing: Medicaid started covering it 10/1/12

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2012 2:31 PM

Intuniv (guanfacine): This slow release medication works 100% better than taking guanfacine three times a day. We still need find a way to tweak my son’s evenings, but it’s tolerable.

October 4, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by motherjade (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Intuniv (guanfacine): My daughter (11 years old) had been on Vyvanse, but was still struggling and experiencing excellerated heart rate. She was not eatting, not sleeping, and losing weight. Greatful for the medication, but side effects were starting to be a problem. Doctor added Intuniv 2mg on top of Vyvanse and it was great. Seemed to offset all the negative caused by Vyvanse.

September 18, 2012 1:28 PM

Intuniv (guanfacine): The first few days on 1 mg in the morning, he was so tired in the afternoon, but by the 5th day he was doing better. At 2 mg, it started over but never faded. After 3 weeks, the Dr. suggested taking it at night, but it was no better. He would fall asleep on his desk after lunch, in the car or on the cough after school, and just completely lost his personality. He was calm, and could focus better, but he never laughed, was never silly, barely played, it was awful. We tried going back to 1 mg but had more trouble focusing again, so we tried 1mg in the morning and 1 in the evening. But he was still a little zombie. SO we gave up. I'd rather have him bouncing off the walls than too tired to laugh and play.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2012 12:34 AM

Review by oxcjsommmyxo (taken for less than 1 month):

Intuniv (guanfacine): My son is 7 and just started Intuniv about a month ago. He has ADHD, BiPolar and Intermittent Explosive Disorder. He is currently on a lot of medicines. They started in on Intuniv because he was unable to focus at school and extremely hyper. With him being bipolar it is very hard for them to treat his ADHD because the stimulant medicines make him go crazy. He tries to hurt himself and others while on those. He is on 1mg on the Intuniv and we've yet to see any good effects from it. He has never been able to sleep well, they told me this would help with that. But sadly it hasn't. He is on a sleeping pill as well. He still tends to wake up very early in the morning. Some mornings it's 2am some it's 4. They told us to go ahead and add another sleep aid.

May 19, 2012 12:16 PM

Review by brandyhgalabama:

Tenex (guanfacine): My son (6yrs) is on Focalin in the morning and Tenex in the late afternoon. They have put him on it twice and was the same way both times. He was bouncing off the walls, pulling his hair out, very very smart but. He had an answer for everything and everybody. It was a complete disaster. We could not go anywhere and do anything. He had awful fits. We now take Focalin 20 in morning and Focalin 5 in the afternoon. I'm not so sure that's working either.

April 23, 2012 10:51 PM