User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

Guanfacine Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Guanfacine to treat ADHD

Intuniv (guanfacine): "This medicine was magical! My husband and I were shocked how fast this medicine worked for our son who is 8 now. It literally worked over night we couldn't even believe it. This medicine was life-changing for our family and such a great way. Three years later he is still on it but he's on 3mg now because of his age and weight. The only problem I believe he did get from it was constipation. We have that under control now."

4bricks (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine): "My 17 yr old daughter has been on Ritalin XL for three years, after having tried Concerta and Adderral. The doctor switched her to Intuniv and its reeked havoc on her body. She developed constipation so quickly, we thought she had appendicitis--ended up in emergency room! To date she has slept about 18-20 hours per day, has eaten only 1/2 grilled cheese and some blueberries in 24 hours. She's also light headed and dizzy. Last night she thought someone was showering at 4am. From reading these experiences, I believe Intuniv isn't right for her body. We know many kids it's worked for--unfortunately, not ours."

JodyKay11 January 5, 2016

"I'm 22 years old, and I was recently diagnosed with ADHD. I didn't originally want to take meds to help manage it because I was unaware that there were non-stimulant options available to treat ADHD. It's helped me focus a little bit more and slowed things down for me, so I can handle situations a little bit better. Aside from the cotton mouth, the worst things are the nausea and the slight sleeplessness. I can't seem to sleep through the night anymore. The nausea is mostly just inconvenient, since I can't seem to eat as much as I was, though I'm always hungry, and drinking alcohol while taking them is hit and miss, since sometimes, I can drink for hours and other times it's 2 drinks and I feel like I'm going to puke."

goshdev (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "This medication had been a life changer. Adding it to the Concerta helped with the emotional sensitivity, fidgeting and focus. No side effects other than a little sleepiness and that wore off after a couple weeks. We recently got the generic and it did not work nearly as well. We had side effects from it, but not the brand name."

MomOf2ADHDers (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "My 8 yr son has high functioing Autism & ADHD.This is a blessing for him. He used to run all over the place before we found this. He drives us crazy! Now he's way calmer & doesn't run from me. I can now take him out without him driving me crazy. I'm Bipolar, so u know that it was hard on me. He has been on this for over a year now."

Mommatina (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "Hey, my 6-year old was on this medication for about 7 weeks when he began to hallucinate (2mg). So we had switched to something else which actually made him worse then he was with out any meds. So we put him back on intiniv and started back at 1mg... This was about 2 weeks ago... And he has been doing fantastic!"

Missmomma0915 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "My son was 6 when diagnosed. Adderall finally came to our rescue. Eventually it did not work long enough, so we give him a wake-up dose of 5mg IR, an 8am XR dose, then a 3pm IR dose to help with aftercare and homework. This has continued to work for 3 years. We tried Intuniv because his ODD and impulsivity was leading to threats of suspending him from school. After 2 days we realized his BP was lower (too low), but he didn't pass out. After 2 weeks, his reacting to people was no longer on the calm side, he was emotional about everything, more impulsive and more defiant, not him at all. We decided to take him off. At least we can say that we tried, but it just did not work for my son, but it may for others."

Mary Chi December 10, 2015

"Tried guanfacine for a week, have not noticed any effects except maybe my son is more argumentative, but it's not helping his ADHD at all. Strattera works much better than guanfacine, since he can't take the stimulants. I recommend Strattera to anyone else who has had a problem with side effects from Ritalin or Adderall."

It's chemistry December 5, 2015

"My 10 y/o has been taking this medication for 4 years now for his ADHD and anger/aggression. He hasn't had anger problems for some time now. Now we use the medication to help him maintain better focus, and he acts less silly (able to take serious situations seriously now) on intuniv. He also takes a very low dose Ritalin twice a day now, because we noticed the Intuniv helped him focus but it didn't help him stay in his seat. He couldn't keep still without Ritalin. However, his Ritalin gave him tics after a few months being on it. The Intuniv has helped keep those tics lessened, but it doesn't completely take them away. When he misses an Intuniv dose though, his tics are so severe he actually experiences physical discomfort."

Starfirejem December 3, 2015

"It's only been 3 days that my son has been on this medication. But from the first time he's taken it I could tell the difference."

HyperactiveChild (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "My 8 year old son is on this medication. I get it with a coupon and pay $28 for it. My son was on Adderall 5 mg, however developed tick so he was switched to Intuniv. He isn't as focused. Really miss the Adderall. His grades have declined. Wish there was something else I could try."

SingleMomInWI (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2015

"This was prescribed to my son to treat his aggressive behavior (he has autism with disruptive behaviour) but after a week he was even more aggressive. He started hitting himself in the head and developed a rash. I took him off of it because even though he doesn't communicate well, it was obvious that he was hurting."

My Son Age 9 (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2015

"She started at 1mg and we saw very little different and her behavior was out of control for the most part. She started on 2mg this morning and in the morning I saw a big difference playing with her toys calm like a regular kid instead of running and jumping. She seems a little drowsy though... Will that pass? I would hate for her to be drowsy all the time."

Babbot (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

"Started my 9 year old on this medication at the end of last school year. Everything was great! For the first time I could remember I had a sweet loving caring little boy. Fast forward to August my son started to show what we believed to be TICS. Eye rolling, facial tensing, head jerks, teeth chomping, sniffing nose. He also complains of a stomach ache, headaches, and blurred vision. We upped the medication a week or so ago to see if it would take these side effects away but they seem to be getting worse! Doctor said TICS should dissipate a few weeks after school began. But still nothing. They are starting to become painful to him. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?? it was such a great medication and its so hard to find something that works"

Sarah213 October 14, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "My 8 year old son was prescribed 2mg in the morning. He has been on it for two weeks. At first it helped him concentrate in school but he was still aggressive with his sister and others. Week two, he now cries almost everyday at school and at home. He constantly talks about death. He keeps asking me if I will wait for him in heaven when I die. It is awful to see my innocent little boy go through this. I took him off of it right away. Vyvanse worked for him a lot better at the lowest dosage."

caused Major depression! September 23, 2015

"My ASD son was put on Tenex in kindergarten for aggression/rages. It lessened the behavior problems, but came at a big price. Gained 12 lbs within the first month, terrible tummy aches for a couple hours after every dose, night terrors most nights, lost all desire for any kind of physically active play. But kept him on it for 1 1/2 years because I had found nothing else that helped the violent behaviors. After 1 1/2 years the Tenex stopped working, even at a higher dose. Slowly weaned him off of it 2 months ago. Ever since he he has been out of control, bouncing off the walls non-stop. I'm sorry I ever left him on it in the first place. His psychiatrist confessed this happens to many of his patients who have taken it for a long time."

1fairmaiden (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "My 6 year old son is on the 1mg for his short attention issues. He does complain sometimes about the tummy ache but it goes away. I have seen a big difference in his school work and his able to stay focus. How ever I have to try other meds because my insurance will not pay for the medication. they feel as if its to expensive."

lovely mom August 5, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "No side affects on my six year old the first two weeks except for a tummy ache, the last two nights she has woke up screaming completely tripping throwing pillows scratching her head hallucinating and seeing stuff I do not recommend this pill to anyone.!!!! Expecially a kid she is on the lowest dose 1 mg. she won't be taking it anymore!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

"Dr put my 4 year old on guanfacine for ADHD 1mg at AM and 1 mg at PM, he took for 30 days. He turned into a zombie plus taking 3 hour naps(before never took a nap) didnt want to play outside, constipated, sniffing of nose constantly, no appetite, clumpsy, complain stomach hurts, hallucinates. Took him off of pill he got insomnia, emotional crying, panic attacks, couldnt make his mind up as to what he wanted, always stayed at his Nana's every weekend, suddenly wouldnt stay, panic cry when Dad had to go to work or Mom had to go to store, wanted everyone to stay home.He has now been off of pill 3 weeks and is himself again....No 4 year old needs a narcotic, they are suppose to hyper and full of energy..He pays attention and is very smart."

Junebug655 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "I took this for tics and ADHD. I went up to 3 mg a day and felt horrible. Very tired and body aches. It helps somewhat with nervous tics but not that great and side effects were bad. I quit it after 1 week at 3mg. And I am 200 lb man and it still was too much for me. The 1 mg and 2 my doses didn't really do anything positive or negative."

Bad experience (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "I don't care for this medicine I developed a rash on both my arms and was so confused I don't suggest adults use this for adhd"

Linda jm June 17, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "My 8 year old daughter has been taking the medication for 4 months now and although we have seen a good improvement in her behavior, the weight gain has been substantial. She has gained over 10 lbs in 4 months which is incredibly unhealthy. Her blood pressure has also been on the very low side. Unfortunately for us we can't risk the bad side effects even though we have seen a positive behavior change."

CSL2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "28 yrs old I couldn't take it I was tired all the time"

h83p4x March 13, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy: My son is 8 years old and has started taking Intuniv for his behavior, concentration and mood swings. He does have CP. He has never been diagnosed with ADHD so that concerned me when the neurologist wanted to put him on Intuniv. He's taking 1mg at night and I have to tell you he is a new boy! He's cooperative, sleeping well and he is doing better in class."

Concernedatfirstmom (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine): "I am 21 year's old- this medication is not just for young children- it has taken away the side-effects of my ADHD medication. The only side-effect I was aware of was auditory! When I took the 1st 1mg pill, my hearing was heightened and exhaustive (sounds dragged out) for an hour or so. When I increased to 2mg the same thing happened: a noticeable difference in my hearing for just a short hour or so. My doctor prescribed this to me when the side-effects of Concerta did not leave me; I had anxiety that was clearly not situational but from the drop-off of Concerta in the middle of the day as it is not a steady released medicine but a ADHD medication that releases a dose twice."

Julie3377 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 9, 2015