Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

High Blood Pressure 5 reviews 261 medications

7.5
ADHD 72 reviews 62 medications

6.3
Summary of Guanfacine reviews 77 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Guanfacine

Review by Kristi Murphree: User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD recently, this is the first medication he has taken. We started at 1mg working or way up to 3mg, and it's taken in the evening around 5pm. Once at 3mg, my son was extremely sleepy. Even falling asleep in class and in the bus ride home. He was emotional about everything. Even looking for toys, he would cry. He also experienced terrible tummy aches. He became very irritable, I'm guessing because he was sleepy. I had his Dr lower the dosage to 2mg and he is becoming that little guy I know again! He's still kind of sleepy but not as bad and his teacher is noticing a big improvement in his focus at school. We are still working out the kinks but I am hopeful! Best of luck to you all!

February 10, 2014 1:13 PM
Review by amg2003: User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son has been taking intuniv for 3 years now and has shown major improvements. The prior medications were causing my son to have tics and violent outbursts. This medication helps him more with concentration and focus but when that is under control i notice the hyper activity is more tolerable. My sons grades improved drastically and i no longer receive phone calls from his school and teachers (this was a weekly if not daily occurence).

January 19, 2014 8:10 PM
Review by hthompson87 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son is almost six years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He was evaluated due to the fact that he was always in trouble in school, home and getting kicked off of the bus. He also seemed to struggle with focusing on us when we talked. His doctor had us try Intuniv... we started at 1mg every morning. The positive change was very noticeable. He was calmer, had a less aggressive attitude, and even used his indoor voice. It did make him sleepier but that only lasted for the first two days. He is on his third day of 2mg and is doing well. For the past few weeks he hasn't been getting into trouble at school and his bus driver said he is doing amazing. He also seems to be focusing better.

November 29, 2013 11:06 PM
Review by Mom at the end of her ropes. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: This is a great medicine. I have known that my daughter now 7, has always been extremely energetic and talkative her entire life, but her impulsivity, inability to concentrate on work (or play), and energy were really interfering with her school and home life. I was so stressed out every day. The behavioral problems were never ending. I mean this child was ALWAYS in trouble, poor girl! She is now like the little girl that I always knew was hiding away in there, but would only rarely come out, she has all of the same positive personality traits plus more. I feel like I can finally connect with her, like her brain just clicked and she is now living in the same reality as everyone around her instead of lost in her mind. It does make her sleepy.

November 13, 2013 10:13 AM
Review by ADHD and ODD (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

guanfacine for ADHD: Noticeable improvement at school and at home. Started with 1 mg three weeks ago. Completing seat work, better control of emotions and less impulsive. Although he still can be defiant it is very short lived. Much more compliant and less hyper. The medication has not changed his personality and he is much easier to be around. Will sit through dinner, which he never could before and is very helpful and sweet. He is very small at 38 pounds so no plans to increase medication. There has been almost a complete transformation. Slightly sleepy the first week but now has adjusted. He sleeps great but he always did. I would recommend this medication for these issues. Our family is against stimulant medications so this has worked perfectly.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2013 6:31 AM
Review by Akes (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

guanfacine for ADHD: I'm in my late 20's and tried it for ADHD...all I can say is that it really messed up my sleep. It also severely worsened my depression. It has a long half life. Benefits I did notice is that it seemed that my memory improved somewhat, for example could remember several songs playing in a row, also focus seemed improved. I'm considering adding trazodone in hopes of aboring its negative effect on sleep. For anyone complaining about blood pressure side effects, lower your dose.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 18, 2013 12:05 AM
Review by ecbrad (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 11 year old son has ADHD with anxiety disorder. This medication has helped him manage his anxiety (he is much happier) and he is able to focus better on managing everything from time to his emotions. He has better stamina mentally and can perform mental tasks for longer periods of time. He is also acting more mature and being more responsible. He takes 2mg at night 1 hour before bed along with gummy melatonin to help him sleep. He sleeps well and feels good during the day. Overall this medication has helped him a great deal. It's like it took him out of his anxious rut and gives him a better outlook.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 15, 2013 8:55 PM
Review by AFeazell: User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and like most parents I refused to believe that anything was "wrong" with my son. After research I decided against medication because of the TERRIBLE reviews and side effects... until I heard about Intuniv. It has been one of the BEST decisions that I have ever made. He still has his happy little personality and still a rambunctious little boy but he is able to sit in class without bouncing off the walls and his grades have really improved. Like previous reviews he was very tired and had headaches in the beginning but like the Dr promised that quickly faded. He is 8 now and will remind me if I forget to give it to him because he says that it makes him feel better, and he sleeps like a log.

September 6, 2013 2:43 PM
Review by Audioman7: User Rating:

guanfacine for High Blood Pressure: This is by far the most effective medicine I have taken for high blood pressure. As another poster said, it needs to be taken with caution at first until you know what dosage is right for you - it can bring your pressure actually low at low dosages. I have found it to have far less side effects than clonidine. It is a long lasting medication able to be taken once a day - I take it at night, as it helps with sleep and by morning any sedative effect has worn off, leaving me with a feeling of well-being. I have not noticed any increase in appetite, but being diabetic I have noticed a rather serious increase in fasting blood sugar which will require tweaking of those medications. Metformin offsets that side effect in a beneficial way.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 31, 2013 8:52 AM
Review by mom$2013:

guanfacine for ADHD: My 4 year old son is on this medication. In the beginning it made him sleep all the time and then he stopped sleeping and was mellow. That's been about 2 months ago and now he is back bouncing off the walls hyper. So now we are trying to figure out what to do. He has an appointment with his doctor in a couple weeks. In the beginning it did work for us.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 11, 2013 2:27 AM
Review by Carmella1010 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: I am 39 and have dealt with my ADD for all my life. May of 2012 the Dr. started me out on 1mg, after a week, I could tell a difference. Like a filing cabinet in my brain. However, I was VERY tired. So I decided to take at night. (I've always had a hard time shutting my brain off to sleep) Next week she upped me 2 mg. After a few days, I started to notice I focus more...GREAT!!, and I was sleeping better!! She then put me on 3 mg. I couldn't tolerate it! I started getting hot flashes and thought I was going to pass out! I couldn't sit out in the sun, I had to stay in. So she lowered me back to 2mg. A year later and its the best decision I have ever made. My brain is calm, I am focused and sleep like a bear!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 8, 2013 6:27 PM
Review by Insurance Agent Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: 25 year old female taking 3mg of Intuniv. I started Intuniv while I was unemployed. It does really help with my focus, keeps me from being super hyper and helped my blood pressure. During this time I would take a lot of naps during the day or even just sleep in till noon. I thought it was just me liking naps and having not much to do during the day. Well I started a new job a month ago and have been falling asleep at my desk. I thought it was another medicine but it did turn out to be my Intuniv. So my doctor is having me go down and see if lower doses will help or not. If not he will be putting me on another medicine. I also tried not taking it for a couple of days, but it caused withdrawal symptoms at the end of day 2.

May 14, 2013 3:45 PM
Review by JNiss:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 7-year-old son has ADHD/ODD. His doctor has him on 10mg Prozac and 30mg of Yyvanse in the morning, and 3mg of Intuniv before bedtime (she just upped from 1mg). Unfortunately for the two days he's been on the increased Intuniv, each day he's gone to the nurses office twice because he can't stay awake in class. Getting it reduced to 2mg today and hoping he becomes less zombie-like.

February 1, 2013 4:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: I'm ADD, no H included. My 11 year old daughter is also ADD. Ritalin has always worked just fine for me however, I decided to try intuniv after my Dr. prescribed it for my daughter, saying that it was better because it wasn't habit forming and that it wasn't a stimulant. After 2 weeks of feeling extremely tired I then began to have headaches, feel like I was going to collapse at any given moment, and couldn't even drive due to the extreme comatose state I felt I was in. My vision also became blurred and I was very dizzy. I can see how this medication might benefit someone with ADHD as it lowers blood pressure and seems to slow the person down but I don't recommend it for ADD. It was a miserable nightmare! I took my daughter off it as well.

November 30, 2012 3:58 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

guanfacine for ADHD: My 7 year old son is taking it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 2, 2012 12:09 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: Has really helped with mood swings. Helps control violent outbursts.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 31, 2012 12:58 PM
Review by kaykay0987-2311 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 7 year old grandson has been on Intuniv for 16 days. He had been on 40 mg Vyvanse alone with it wearing totally off after 5 hours. We were reevaluated because of this and Dx changed from ADD to ADHD. Intuniv was added to his regiment. We started out at 1 mg and upped to 2 mg after 7 days. We give it to him about 7 pm and by his 8 pm bedtime, he is calming down and is able to fall asleep within 5-10 minutes. I have seen a tremendous improvement in his attitude, ability to focus and coping skills. He was unable to sleep well while on the Vyvanse alone. This is allowing him the ability to get the much needed deep sleep and this also is helping him out. One good thing: Medicaid started covering it 10/1/12

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 15, 2012 2:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: This slow release medication works 100% better than taking guanfacine three times a day. We still need find a way to tweak my son’s evenings, but it’s tolerable.

October 4, 2012 10:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine): I have just started my 6yr old on the 1mg Intuniv and I am happy with her behavior but the life in her that I love about her is gone. I feel so confused. Why should I have to change her?

September 20, 2012 10:46 PM
Review by motherjade (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My daughter (11 years old) had been on Vyvanse, but was still struggling and experiencing excellerated heart rate. She was not eatting, not sleeping, and losing weight. Greatful for the medication, but side effects were starting to be a problem. Doctor added Intuniv 2mg on top of Vyvanse and it was great. Seemed to offset all the negative caused by Vyvanse.

September 18, 2012 1:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: The first few days on 1 mg in the morning, he was so tired in the afternoon, but by the 5th day he was doing better. At 2 mg, it started over but never faded. After 3 weeks, the Dr. suggested taking it at night, but it was no better. He would fall asleep on his desk after lunch, in the car or on the cough after school, and just completely lost his personality. He was calm, and could focus better, but he never laughed, was never silly, barely played, it was awful. We tried going back to 1 mg but had more trouble focusing again, so we tried 1mg in the morning and 1 in the evening. But he was still a little zombie. SO we gave up. I'd rather have him bouncing off the walls than too tired to laugh and play.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 8, 2012 12:34 AM
Review by oxcjsommmyxo (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son is 7 and just started Intuniv about a month ago. He has ADHD, BiPolar and Intermittent Explosive Disorder. He is currently on a lot of medicines. They started in on Intuniv because he was unable to focus at school and extremely hyper. With him being bipolar it is very hard for them to treat his ADHD because the stimulant medicines make him go crazy. He tries to hurt himself and others while on those. He is on 1mg on the Intuniv and we've yet to see any good effects from it. He has never been able to sleep well, they told me this would help with that. But sadly it hasn't. He is on a sleeping pill as well. He still tends to wake up very early in the morning. Some mornings it's 2am some it's 4. They told us to go ahead and add another sleep aid.

May 19, 2012 12:16 PM
Review by welshlady (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

guanfacine for High Blood Pressure: I have been on this 1.5 weeks, it works fantastic for high blood pressure. Much quicker than 3 previous meds I've tried. I have serious bladder issues and this has had the unexpected side effect of slowing down my need to visit the loo constantly. I sleep really well with this medicine, but it makes me tired during the day and hope that will subside soon, I have nodded off at my desk at work several times this week. Finally, it has increased my appetite and I really want that side effect to go away.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 28, 2012 5:00 PM
Review by brandyhgalabama: User Rating:

Tenex (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son (6yrs) is on Focalin in the morning and Tenex in the late afternoon. They have put him on it twice and was the same way both times. He was bouncing off the walls, pulling his hair out, very very smart but. He had an answer for everything and everybody. It was a complete disaster. We could not go anywhere and do anything. He had awful fits. We now take Focalin 20 in morning and Focalin 5 in the afternoon. I'm not so sure that's working either.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 23, 2012 10:51 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

guanfacine for High Blood Pressure: Works great for blood pressure but had to stop because of the side effects. Dry mouth and sleepiness day and night. Would forget things. But, the worse was the libido and impotence. No interest in sex whatsoever. At 50 that's not a good thing.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate