User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

High Blood Pressure 6 reviews 261 medications

7.9
ADHD 77 reviews 62 medications

6.5
Summary of Guanfacine reviews 83 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Guanfacine

Review by idahoAmy:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son took this for a couple of years. At first it was very effective, and I was excited to have a non-stimulant medication to treat his ADHD. It did make him sleepy, and that was problematic, and then its effectiveness wore off.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by s2k3:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: Great difference in impulse control.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2014 10:43 AM

Review by Fly Guy (taken for 10 years or more):

Tenex (guanfacine) for High Blood Pressure: Very effective with no side effects.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Oregonmom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADHD and we tried Adderall and other medicines and the results were nil and side effects awful. We then tried Intuniv at 1mg and results were amazing. My hyper impulsive little guy was doing well in school and his temper was subdued. We added group ADHD therapy for him at a local clinic with other boys his age which also helped hugely. My suggestion to parents is please do not just rely on a medicine. Find a good counselor that will help you and your child by giving you tools to use in every day life, like learning to patiently wait, be a gracious loser, etc. As far as the Intuniv goes.. My son will be 9 in a few months and we are still only on 1mg. Don't rush to 2mgs without giving 1mg a chance.

August 25, 2014 12:08 PM

Review by Jeanne M.M.:

For ADHD: My son is 10 and was diagnosed with ADHD at age 5. He was on various dosages of stimulant medications before trying Intuniv. He now takes 3 mg of Intuniv and we have been able to reduce his stimulant medication in half. Helps him sleep and morning routine is much better as the Intuniv is fully functioning (given at night).

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by JenniferH:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 8 year old son was extremely hyperactive and had anger issues. Even though he was on Adderall. He was constantly biting his brother and sister, arguing with his dad and I, kicking, throwing tantrums and acting like a baby when he didn't get his way. After we added Intuniv to his daily dose of Adderall, he is a completely different child. It has been wonderful. There has been less yelling and arguing, less fighting, he actually gets along and plays with his brother and sister and us. I love this medicine! I only wish we found it sooner. Thank you for giving us our son back!

June 25, 2014 10:01 AM

Review by Kristi Murphree:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD recently, this is the first medication he has taken. We started at 1mg working or way up to 3mg, and it's taken in the evening around 5pm. Once at 3mg, my son was extremely sleepy. Even falling asleep in class and in the bus ride home. He was emotional about everything. Even looking for toys, he would cry. He also experienced terrible tummy aches. He became very irritable, I'm guessing because he was sleepy. I had his Dr lower the dosage to 2mg and he is becoming that little guy I know again! He's still kind of sleepy but not as bad and his teacher is noticing a big improvement in his focus at school. We are still working out the kinks but I am hopeful! Best of luck to you all!

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 1:13 PM

Review by amg2003:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son has been taking intuniv for 3 years now and has shown major improvements. The prior medications were causing my son to have tics and violent outbursts. This medication helps him more with concentration and focus but when that is under control i notice the hyper activity is more tolerable. My sons grades improved drastically and i no longer receive phone calls from his school and teachers (this was a weekly if not daily occurence).

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by hthompson87 (taken for less than 1 month):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son is almost six years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He was evaluated due to the fact that he was always in trouble in school, home and getting kicked off of the bus. He also seemed to struggle with focusing on us when we talked. His doctor had us try Intuniv... we started at 1mg every morning. The positive change was very noticeable. He was calmer, had a less aggressive attitude, and even used his indoor voice. It did make him sleepier but that only lasted for the first two days. He is on his third day of 2mg and is doing well. For the past few weeks he hasn't been getting into trouble at school and his bus driver said he is doing amazing. He also seems to be focusing better.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2013 11:06 PM

Review by Mom at the end of her ropes. (taken for less than 1 month):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: This is a great medicine. I have known that my daughter now 7, has always been extremely energetic and talkative her entire life, but her impulsivity, inability to concentrate on work (or play), and energy were really interfering with her school and home life. I was so stressed out every day. The behavioral problems were never ending. I mean this child was ALWAYS in trouble, poor girl! She is now like the little girl that I always knew was hiding away in there, but would only rarely come out, she has all of the same positive personality traits plus more. I feel like I can finally connect with her, like her brain just clicked and she is now living in the same reality as everyone around her instead of lost in her mind. It does make her sleepy.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2013 10:13 AM

Review by ADHD and ODD (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: Noticeable improvement at school and at home. Started with 1 mg three weeks ago. Completing seat work, better control of emotions and less impulsive. Although he still can be defiant it is very short lived. Much more compliant and less hyper. The medication has not changed his personality and he is much easier to be around. Will sit through dinner, which he never could before and is very helpful and sweet. He is very small at 38 pounds so no plans to increase medication. There has been almost a complete transformation. Slightly sleepy the first week but now has adjusted. He sleeps great but he always did. I would recommend this medication for these issues. Our family is against stimulant medications so this has worked perfectly.

November 9, 2013 6:31 AM

Review by Akes (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: I'm in my late 20's and tried it for ADHD...all I can say is that it really messed up my sleep. It also severely worsened my depression. It has a long half life. Benefits I did notice is that it seemed that my memory improved somewhat, for example could remember several songs playing in a row, also focus seemed improved. I'm considering adding trazodone in hopes of aboring its negative effect on sleep. For anyone complaining about blood pressure side effects, lower your dose.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by ecbrad (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 11 year old son has ADHD with anxiety disorder. This medication has helped him manage his anxiety (he is much happier) and he is able to focus better on managing everything from time to his emotions. He has better stamina mentally and can perform mental tasks for longer periods of time. He is also acting more mature and being more responsible. He takes 2mg at night 1 hour before bed along with gummy melatonin to help him sleep. He sleeps well and feels good during the day. Overall this medication has helped him a great deal. It's like it took him out of his anxious rut and gives him a better outlook.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2013 8:55 PM

Review by AFeazell:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My son was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and like most parents I refused to believe that anything was "wrong" with my son. After research I decided against medication because of the TERRIBLE reviews and side effects... until I heard about Intuniv. It has been one of the BEST decisions that I have ever made. He still has his happy little personality and still a rambunctious little boy but he is able to sit in class without bouncing off the walls and his grades have really improved. Like previous reviews he was very tired and had headaches in the beginning but like the Dr promised that quickly faded. He is 8 now and will remind me if I forget to give it to him because he says that it makes him feel better, and he sleeps like a log.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 2:43 PM

Review by Audioman7:

For High Blood Pressure: This is by far the most effective medicine I have taken for high blood pressure. As another poster said, it needs to be taken with caution at first until you know what dosage is right for you - it can bring your pressure actually low at low dosages. I have found it to have far less side effects than clonidine. It is a long lasting medication able to be taken once a day - I take it at night, as it helps with sleep and by morning any sedative effect has worn off, leaving me with a feeling of well-being. I have not noticed any increase in appetite, but being diabetic I have noticed a rather serious increase in fasting blood sugar which will require tweaking of those medications. Metformin offsets that side effect in a beneficial way.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2013 8:52 AM

Review by mom$2013:

For ADHD: My 4 year old son is on this medication. In the beginning it made him sleep all the time and then he stopped sleeping and was mellow. That's been about 2 months ago and now he is back bouncing off the walls hyper. So now we are trying to figure out what to do. He has an appointment with his doctor in a couple weeks. In the beginning it did work for us.

July 11, 2013 2:27 AM

Review by Carmella1010 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: I am 39 and have dealt with my ADD for all my life. May of 2012 the Dr. started me out on 1mg, after a week, I could tell a difference. Like a filing cabinet in my brain. However, I was VERY tired. So I decided to take at night. (I've always had a hard time shutting my brain off to sleep) Next week she upped me 2 mg. After a few days, I started to notice I focus more...GREAT!!, and I was sleeping better!! She then put me on 3 mg. I couldn't tolerate it! I started getting hot flashes and thought I was going to pass out! I couldn't sit out in the sun, I had to stay in. So she lowered me back to 2mg. A year later and its the best decision I have ever made. My brain is calm, I am focused and sleep like a bear!

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2013 6:27 PM

Review by Insurance Agent Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: 25 year old female taking 3mg of Intuniv. I started Intuniv while I was unemployed. It does really help with my focus, keeps me from being super hyper and helped my blood pressure. During this time I would take a lot of naps during the day or even just sleep in till noon. I thought it was just me liking naps and having not much to do during the day. Well I started a new job a month ago and have been falling asleep at my desk. I thought it was another medicine but it did turn out to be my Intuniv. So my doctor is having me go down and see if lower doses will help or not. If not he will be putting me on another medicine. I also tried not taking it for a couple of days, but it caused withdrawal symptoms at the end of day 2.

May 14, 2013 3:45 PM

Review by JNiss:

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 7-year-old son has ADHD/ODD. His doctor has him on 10mg Prozac and 30mg of Yyvanse in the morning, and 3mg of Intuniv before bedtime (she just upped from 1mg). Unfortunately for the two days he's been on the increased Intuniv, each day he's gone to the nurses office twice because he can't stay awake in class. Getting it reduced to 2mg today and hoping he becomes less zombie-like.

February 1, 2013 4:09 PM

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: I'm ADD, no H included. My 11 year old daughter is also ADD. Ritalin has always worked just fine for me however, I decided to try intuniv after my Dr. prescribed it for my daughter, saying that it was better because it wasn't habit forming and that it wasn't a stimulant. After 2 weeks of feeling extremely tired I then began to have headaches, feel like I was going to collapse at any given moment, and couldn't even drive due to the extreme comatose state I felt I was in. My vision also became blurred and I was very dizzy. I can see how this medication might benefit someone with ADHD as it lowers blood pressure and seems to slow the person down but I don't recommend it for ADD. It was a miserable nightmare! I took my daughter off it as well.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2012 3:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: My 7 year old son is taking it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2012 12:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: Has really helped with mood swings. Helps control violent outbursts.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2012 12:58 PM

Review by kaykay0987-2311 (taken for less than 1 month):

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: My 7 year old grandson has been on Intuniv for 16 days. He had been on 40 mg Vyvanse alone with it wearing totally off after 5 hours. We were reevaluated because of this and Dx changed from ADD to ADHD. Intuniv was added to his regiment. We started out at 1 mg and upped to 2 mg after 7 days. We give it to him about 7 pm and by his 8 pm bedtime, he is calming down and is able to fall asleep within 5-10 minutes. I have seen a tremendous improvement in his attitude, ability to focus and coping skills. He was unable to sleep well while on the Vyvanse alone. This is allowing him the ability to get the much needed deep sleep and this also is helping him out. One good thing: Medicaid started covering it 10/1/12

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2012 2:31 PM

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: This slow release medication works 100% better than taking guanfacine three times a day. We still need find a way to tweak my son’s evenings, but it’s tolerable.

October 4, 2012 10:31 AM

Intuniv (guanfacine) for : I have just started my 6yr old on the 1mg Intuniv and I am happy with her behavior but the life in her that I love about her is gone. I feel so confused. Why should I have to change her?

September 20, 2012 10:46 PM