User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

High Blood Pressure 6 reviews 262 medications

7.9
Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

ADHD 89 reviews 32 medications

6.6
Summary of Guanfacine reviews 96 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Guanfacine

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 8 year old daughter has been taking the medication for 4 months now and although we have seen a good improvement in her behavior, the weight gain has been substantial. She has gained over 10 lbs in 4 months which is incredibly unhealthy. Her blood pressure has also been on the very low side. Unfortunately for us we can't risk the bad side effects even though we have seen a positive behavior change."

CSL2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "28 yrs old I couldn't take it I was tired all the time"

h83p4x March 13, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy: My son is 8 years old and has started taking Intuniv for his behavior, concentration and mood swings. He does have CP. He has never been diagnosed with ADHD so that concerned me when the neurologist wanted to put him on Intuniv. He's taking 1mg at night and I have to tell you he is a new boy! He's cooperative, sleeping well and he is doing better in class."

Concernedatfirstmom (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I am 21 year's old- this medication is not just for young children- it has taken away the side-effects of my ADHD medication. The only side-effect I was aware of was auditory! When I took the 1st 1mg pill, my hearing was heightened and exhaustive (sounds dragged out) for an hour or so. When I increased to 2mg the same thing happened: a noticeable difference in my hearing for just a short hour or so. My doctor prescribed this to me when the side-effects of Concerta did not leave me; I had anxiety that was clearly not situational but from the drop-off of Concerta in the middle of the day as it is not a steady released medicine but a ADHD medication that releases a dose twice."

Julie3377 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 9, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "At 7 yrs old my son was diagnosed with ADHD. We tried a few medications like Concerta & Vyvanse. Both were terrible & either made him a zombie or completely took his appetite away. I discussed with his doctor my concerns about his lack of weight gain & she suggested Intuniv. We started at 1mg, increased to 2mg & finally settled on 3 mg. He's done wonderful with this dose for almost 2 & 1/2 years. Since last Christmas things have taken a downfall & so now we're looking at increasing to 4mg. It makes me nervous. I just hope I'm making the right decision for him."

turtlemama (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I notice that my daughter was having problems in fifth grade would not sit still and would always be getting up to throw paper out and would know who was the last one that went to the restroom. I spoke to the teacher and told them to please evaluate my daughter cause it seems like she has ADHD. They said she was fine. When I started to see her grades they were dropping. I immediately took her to Miami Children's Hospital to the neurologist and they tested her, filled out some papers and yes she was has ADHD. I've tried Concerta, Strattera, Vyvanse and Adderall but the best medicine that has worked for my daughter is Intuniv! She had all F's and now 15 years old and first year of high school she has all A's and B's. Thank you Intuniv!!!"

Yvette/Honey February 2, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 9 year old son has been taking Intuniv for about a year now and has greatly improved his behavior, mood, impulse control and more. Both myself and his dad suffer from ADHD as well but need Adderall to manage. I was so happy to see a non-stimulant medicine work so well. The only problem we've had is excessive weight gain (excess of 30 lbs in 1 year). To the point its very worrisome. Appointment is set to switch to something new."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My adopted 13 y.o. son has fetal alcohol syndrome causing severe ADHD and failure to thrive. Has been on Concerta for four years. For years his special Education teachers let him run around in the halls to tire him out and lessen the hyperactivity. Even with the Concerta at 36 mg he was extremely hyper. He started Intuniv about a year ago, takes 3 mgs per day plus a reduced Concerta dose (18 mg). No side effects of note. He seems to be doing better hyperactivity wise in school, but I have not noticed a big difference at home. I also still have big problems with him homework-wise too. At 10 y.o. he weighed 60 lbs, with reduction in Concerta dose, he's finally gaining weight (13 y.o., 91 lbs) so that's the trade off we're making."

Sukatra (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son has been on med since he was 5 for ADHD, he is 8 now. They started him on methylphenadate(Adderall) he didnt gain weight or grow at all hardly. He is now on Intuniv and we love it. He eats the house down. Its not a stimulant so thats wonderful."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 3, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I must say I have been through a lot of medicines. Wasted money but most of all watching my kid struggle with his high anxiety and his inability to focus or sit down. He now focus better in school and his teacher describes him as on task now and takes time to ask her questions if needed. I had a lot of nights crying thinking I was a bad mother! I would lose control and not be able to handle his constant stubbornness and defiance he is a beautiful energetic boy with an amazing personality but just needed to be taken down a few notches. This has done the trick. I started off on 1 mg and did not seem to do to much and after three months decided to move to 2. I tried all natural nothing worked. Good luck."

Rowdyitalian (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son was given Intuniv on October 8th of this year. He was on it for eleven days when he started having really bad uncomfortable full body ticks. I stopped the medicines Sunday night it's now Wednesday and he's still having ticks. Dr says it will wear off but as a parents it's very scary."

Scared mom1979 October 22, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and ADHD. Stimulant control of ADHD was out of the question because it would exasperate Bipolar 2. My doc started me tentatively on Intuniv and told me I may be groggy at first but over time it could help me feel more calm and focused. She was right. The first day I took it right before bed and woke up feeling lethargic. But every day since got progressively better. I was more calm, experienced less anxiety and mood swings, was able to focus and handle stresses more easily, and because I wasn't so anxious or emotional I wasn't overeating. My weight leveled out, I was sleeping through the night and quit getting insomnia, I was able to sit still through classes without fidgeting and really concentrate."

annabelley (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son took this for a couple of years. At first it was very effective, and I was excited to have a non-stimulant medication to treat his ADHD. It did make him sleepy, and that was problematic, and then its effectiveness wore off. "

idahoAmy October 6, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Great difference in impulse control."

s2k3 September 6, 2014

Tenex (guanfacine) for High Blood Pressure: "Very effective with no side effects."

Fly Guy (taken for 10 years or more) September 5, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADHD and we tried Adderall and other medicines and the results were nil and side effects awful. We then tried Intuniv at 1mg and results were amazing. My hyper impulsive little guy was doing well in school and his temper was subdued. We added group ADHD therapy for him at a local clinic with other boys his age which also helped hugely. My suggestion to parents is please do not just rely on a medicine. Find a good counselor that will help you and your child by giving you tools to use in every day life, like learning to patiently wait, be a gracious loser, etc. As far as the Intuniv goes.. My son will be 9 in a few months and we are still only on 1mg. Don't rush to 2mgs without giving 1mg a chance."

Oregonmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2014

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I started guanfacine around the age of 6 for Tourette's. I have been taking it for years and have had to constantly increase the dosage because my tics have progressively gotten worse. I eventually had to stop because of how bad the side effects were. My main side effects were dizziness, nausea, leg cramps, and digestive disturbances. As for effectiveness, it used to work amazingly. I would not recommend this drug to anyone with severe tics, or anyone who already struggles with nausea and dizziness. The side effects are more noticeable in large doses. Pros: - Safe for children - Effective for mild to moderate Tourette's Cons: - Bad side effects - For moderate to severe Tourette's, there are much better options"

am49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2014

For ADHD: "My son is 10 and was diagnosed with ADHD at age 5. He was on various dosages of stimulant medications before trying Intuniv. He now takes 3 mg of Intuniv and we have been able to reduce his stimulant medication in half. Helps him sleep and morning routine is much better as the Intuniv is fully functioning (given at night)."

Jeanne M.M. August 6, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 8 year old son was extremely hyperactive and had anger issues. Even though he was on Adderall. He was constantly biting his brother and sister, arguing with his dad and I, kicking, throwing tantrums and acting like a baby when he didn't get his way. After we added Intuniv to his daily dose of Adderall, he is a completely different child. It has been wonderful. There has been less yelling and arguing, less fighting, he actually gets along and plays with his brother and sister and us. I love this medicine! I only wish we found it sooner. Thank you for giving us our son back!"

JenniferH June 25, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD recently, this is the first medication he has taken. We started at 1mg working or way up to 3mg, and it's taken in the evening around 5pm. Once at 3mg, my son was extremely sleepy. Even falling asleep in class and in the bus ride home. He was emotional about everything. Even looking for toys, he would cry. He also experienced terrible tummy aches. He became very irritable, I'm guessing because he was sleepy. I had his Dr lower the dosage to 2mg and he is becoming that little guy I know again! He's still kind of sleepy but not as bad and his teacher is noticing a big improvement in his focus at school. We are still working out the kinks but I am hopeful! Best of luck to you all!"

Kristi Murphree February 10, 2014

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son has been taking intuniv for 3 years now and has shown major improvements. The prior medications were causing my son to have tics and violent outbursts. This medication helps him more with concentration and focus but when that is under control i notice the hyper activity is more tolerable. My sons grades improved drastically and i no longer receive phone calls from his school and teachers (this was a weekly if not daily occurence)."

amg2003 January 19, 2014

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son is almost six years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He was evaluated due to the fact that he was always in trouble in school, home and getting kicked off of the bus. He also seemed to struggle with focusing on us when we talked. His doctor had us try Intuniv... we started at 1mg every morning. The positive change was very noticeable. He was calmer, had a less aggressive attitude, and even used his indoor voice. It did make him sleepier but that only lasted for the first two days. He is on his third day of 2mg and is doing well. For the past few weeks he hasn't been getting into trouble at school and his bus driver said he is doing amazing. He also seems to be focusing better."

hthompson87 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2013

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "This is a great medicine. I have known that my daughter now 7, has always been extremely energetic and talkative her entire life, but her impulsivity, inability to concentrate on work (or play), and energy were really interfering with her school and home life. I was so stressed out every day. The behavioral problems were never ending. I mean this child was ALWAYS in trouble, poor girl! She is now like the little girl that I always knew was hiding away in there, but would only rarely come out, she has all of the same positive personality traits plus more. I feel like I can finally connect with her, like her brain just clicked and she is now living in the same reality as everyone around her instead of lost in her mind. It does make her sleepy."

Mom at the end of her ropes. (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2013

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD: "Noticeable improvement at school and at home. Started with 1 mg three weeks ago. Completing seat work, better control of emotions and less impulsive. Although he still can be defiant it is very short lived. Much more compliant and less hyper. The medication has not changed his personality and he is much easier to be around. Will sit through dinner, which he never could before and is very helpful and sweet. He is very small at 38 pounds so no plans to increase medication. There has been almost a complete transformation. Slightly sleepy the first week but now has adjusted. He sleeps great but he always did. I would recommend this medication for these issues. Our family is against stimulant medications so this has worked perfectly."

ADHD and ODD (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2013

For ADHD: "I'm in my late 20's and tried it for ADHD...all I can say is that it really messed up my sleep. It also severely worsened my depression. It has a long half life. Benefits I did notice is that it seemed that my memory improved somewhat, for example could remember several songs playing in a row, also focus seemed improved. I'm considering adding trazodone in hopes of aboring its negative effect on sleep. For anyone complaining about blood pressure side effects, lower your dose."

Akes (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2013