User Reviews for Mucinex D

Learn more about Mucinex D.

Mucinex D Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 605 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Mucinex D to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

"Love this. When I get a sinus infection, it's very stubborn, and having been given antibiotics way too often all my life, they don't really work anymore. I try to tough it out usually, but when it gets so bad that I'm reaching for my Afrin multiple times a day (a blessing and a curse as it works almost instantly, but causes rebound congestion), I head out and grab some Mucinex D. My doctor warned me about the insomnia the first time she recommended it, so I knew what to expect, but honestly it's worth it to me to be able to breathe. My ears usually feel even more clogged up at first when taking this stuff, but that clears up after the first 24 hours, and I'll take that over the facial pain from sinus pressure."

AmandaBourbois December 1, 2012

"Definitely helped to reduce my congestion. I took it at 7PM and literally did not sleep at all that night. Had I known that this would happen, I would not have taken it in the evening."

Anonymous October 14, 2012

"I developed a serious cold with immense pressure fom my sinuses on my eyes and head. The first day at 7am I took two Mucinex-D ( Clears nasal/sinus congestion, Thins and loosens mucus) in the morning and sure enough within hours my nasal passages cleared and there was constant flow of mucus throughout the day. I was sneezing all through the day. Again took two at 7pm in the evening same result. I slept for maybe 3 hours and then was up all night until 6am. All night I was constantly blowing my nose and sneezing. The next morning I took two. Maybe tonight I will not take any. The only discomfort I notice is my left nostril that is the one most clogged is constantly itchy like I want to sneeze all the time and of course the insomnia."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2012

"My nasal congestion hasn't gotten any better, I've experienced no relief. However, I am writing this at 4 in the morning, so this medicine gave me both insomnia and shaky/jitteriness. "

Anonymous July 31, 2012

"My PCP suggested I take this to help with severe congestion. I took 3 doses of the 12 hours (max strength) at the prescribed intervals. Basically one that afternoon, then one the next morning and one that evening. That night I COULD NOT SLEEP. I have never had problems sleeping, and usually could find some way to read for a bit or do a relaxation exercise in the event it took longer than normal. I'm normally asleep by 10 or 11. It's now 4 am, I am not one bit sleepy and I have to get up for work in 2 hours. Should be an interesting day."

googled side effects to get here April 20, 2012

"Works great. Clear mucus and nasal congestions, I can finally breath, and lasts about 10 hours. Very effective"

HannahRT April 14, 2012

"I experience sinus problems frequently, mostly from allergies probably. I have headaches and stuffy nose etc. This medication is wonderful. I should receive money for how many times I have recommended this to people. I feel like I can even think clearer when I take this. I rarely experience side effects. Maybe one time I had dizziness. Great product."

Anonymous April 10, 2012

"Really helped with nasal congestion, however I will never take it at night again. Took it at 8:00pm and still up at 2:00am. "

cat nap March 25, 2012

"I took the medicine in the morning. I can finally take a deep breath! I have had sinus congestion issues for years, and I wish I would have known about this product much sooner. Its awesome. I only took one pill and I am 6' 4" 270lbs and that seems to me fine for solid relief."

Anonymous February 22, 2012

"Great stuff. I didnt get the jitters, tho I can feel a little extra buzz in there. Finally after weeks of stuffiness and coughing I am quiet this afternoon. 10 stars!"

Anonymous February 10, 2012

"Mucinex D works wonders for congestion and coughs. I took this in the evening around 9:00 though and it's now 6:00 in the morning and I have not slept a wink. I would recommend taking this as early as possible."

Singitbaby86 February 3, 2012

"I have had major nasal congestion for over the past three weeks and finally after not being able to take it anymore I find a local store to find some medicine. I spoke to the pharmacist who informed me about Mucinex D. I have been taking the two pills like clockwork over the last 3 days with no relief. I have not experienced an increase in heart rate, nor have I experienced insomnia, but my nasal congestion is STILL here. Will have to schedule a doctor's visit for something that actually will work for me."

simply_patrice January 6, 2012

"Definitely works great for my sinus congestion, but like others, experienced insomnia and dry mouth. Took one pill at 6:00 in the evening. Probably better to take in the morning."

Anonymous January 4, 2012

"I have experienced fluid in my ears for almost two years. Consulted with two ear and nose specialists and with an allergist. Tried three types of nose sprays and other natural options, like additional vitamin C , pollen defense and the neti pot. Nothing worked until just recently I developed a severe cold and took Mucinex D. To my amazement and happiness the fluid drained from my ears. Clear ears! Problem - one cannot take Mucinex on a permanent basis."

Anonymous December 5, 2011

"As far as getting rid of your cough goes this medicine is awesome. I took 2 pills 2 nights ago didn't sleep at all the first night and have been jittery ever since. I drink a lot of tea so I'm sure the caffeine is adding to it. I think next time I will take one and lay off the beverages with caffeine."

Anonymous November 15, 2011

"My sister recommended this to me while I was experiencing several nasal congestion and cough. The product works GREAT WHEN USED AS DIRECTED. She suggested taking 2 (12 hour) pills instead of the one that was suggested on box. (She had done this and thought I'd be okay) I experienced VERY SEVERE side effects. I became extremely light headed, dizzy beyond belief, lose of concentration, and severe loss of apetite. I literally felt like I was walking on clouds. I suggest also not taking this at night as it will keep you up ALL night. One pill in the morning is enough to get you by."

u2 November 6, 2011

"I have had only one side effect that I can tell from it ... I have never had any stamina during sex, but after taking this medicine, I can last for an eternity the first time and then just have to stop during the second or third time because orgasm just don't come. I am a 42 year old male and this is the second time this has happened. The first time was about 7 or 8 years ago. This is the truth and not a fabrication."

Anonymous October 18, 2011

"I have severe sinus problems all year long, but worse in the fall. The pressure pain is almost unbearable. My doctor has prescribed everything under the sun to help relieve the symptoms and nothing works better than Mucinex D. I never have any drainage with my sinuses...just the pain/pressure and I can get almost immediate relief after I take 1 bi-layer tablet (1200mg guaifenesin and 120mg pseudoephedrine). The medicine says it has an immediate release layer that works quickly and it does. Then it has an extended release layer that works over the next few hours. I also have the side effect of insomnia, but it's so worth it to relieve that sinus pressure (those of you who have it know what I'm talking about!)."

Anonymous October 14, 2011

"I took one Mucinex DM at 11 am and coughing and mucous flow was reduced significantly, although accompanied by dry mouth. Yesterday at noon I would have given it 10/10. However, I took one capsule at 8 pm and had severe insomnia and could not fall asleep until 8 the next morning. "

Anonymous October 9, 2011

"I had an experience with a rare side effect. I began sweating profusely after taking the pill (recommended dosage) after 3 days. After reading further, I have figured out that I drank 2 cups of coffee the third morning when I took the pills, which led to the sweating. Otherwise, I have had no adverse side effects, and it works great! It is just not a good combination with coffee!"

Anonymous September 12, 2011

"I suffer from bad sinus headaches during allergy season. Mucinex seems to work great, as far as relieving the pressure and headache. The only things I experienced were insomnia and diarrhea. I guess it is better than suffering from the headaches."

Anonymous June 9, 2011

"Certainly helps clear out my sinuses, but sometimes makes me jittery."

Anonymous June 3, 2011

"Allergies pink eye = terrible congestion and a sore throat from all the eye drops. I took Mucinex D to ease the congestion a bit. It has thinned the mucus significantly, however my stomach is very gassy and unsettled; and my heart is also racing! I haven't taken my temperature, but I feel a little feverish. Like many of you I was not able sleep last night. I will probably halve the dose tomorrow. But all in all it's worth it. I can breath and that's probably the most important thing."

Anonymous May 26, 2011

"This medicine is somewhat effective for me. I made the mistake of taking it before bed (I wish my doctor had warned me) and experienced a racing heart/was up most of the night. It did clear my sinuses, but not for 12 hours straight. I woke up at around 6 am (having taken the medicine around 11 pm) with my nose entirely clogged again. I'm going to take Mucinex D again today, but not at night. I guess I'll just have to suffer tonight rather than be a complete insomniac."

Anonymous May 17, 2011

"I too was up all night the times I took Mucinex DM. Best to take in the morning hour, but night is when most the coughing exists. The sleep is needed badly to get rid of the cold."

Anonymous April 24, 2011