Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Mucinex D

Learn more about Mucinex D.

Mucinex D review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 630 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Mucinex D to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

I have had only one side effect that I can tell from it ... I have never had any stamina during sex, but after taking this medicine, I can last for an eternity the first time and then just have to stop during the second or third time because orgasm just don't come. I am a 42 year old male and this is the second time this has happened. The first time was about 7 or 8 years ago. This is the truth and not a fabrication.

October 18, 2011 2:21 PM

I have severe sinus problems all year long, but worse in the fall. The pressure pain is almost unbearable. My doctor has prescribed everything under the sun to help relieve the symptoms and nothing works better than Mucinex D. I never have any drainage with my sinuses...just the pain/pressure and I can get almost immediate relief after I take 1 bi-layer tablet (1200mg guaifenesin and 120mg pseudoephedrine). The medicine says it has an immediate release layer that works quickly and it does. Then it has an extended release layer that works over the next few hours. I also have the side effect of insomnia, but it's so worth it to relieve that sinus pressure (those of you who have it know what I'm talking about!).

October 14, 2011 10:11 PM

I took one Mucinex DM at 11 am and coughing and mucous flow was reduced significantly, although accompanied by dry mouth. Yesterday at noon I would have given it 10/10. However, I took one capsule at 8 pm and had severe insomnia and could not fall asleep until 8 the next morning.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2011 3:37 PM

I had an experience with a rare side effect. I began sweating profusely after taking the pill (recommended dosage) after 3 days. After reading further, I have figured out that I drank 2 cups of coffee the third morning when I took the pills, which led to the sweating. Otherwise, I have had no adverse side effects, and it works great! It is just not a good combination with coffee!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2011 1:52 PM

I suffer from bad sinus headaches during allergy season. Mucinex seems to work great, as far as relieving the pressure and headache. The only things I experienced were insomnia and diarrhea. I guess it is better than suffering from the headaches.

June 9, 2011 7:59 AM

Certainly helps clear out my sinuses, but sometimes makes me jittery.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2011 7:44 PM

Allergies pink eye = terrible congestion and a sore throat from all the eye drops. I took Mucinex D to ease the congestion a bit. It has thinned the mucus significantly, however my stomach is very gassy and unsettled; and my heart is also racing! I haven't taken my temperature, but I feel a little feverish. Like many of you I was not able sleep last night. I will probably halve the dose tomorrow. But all in all it's worth it. I can breath and that's probably the most important thing.

May 26, 2011 3:59 PM

This medicine is somewhat effective for me. I made the mistake of taking it before bed (I wish my doctor had warned me) and experienced a racing heart/was up most of the night. It did clear my sinuses, but not for 12 hours straight. I woke up at around 6 am (having taken the medicine around 11 pm) with my nose entirely clogged again. I'm going to take Mucinex D again today, but not at night. I guess I'll just have to suffer tonight rather than be a complete insomniac.

May 17, 2011 9:28 AM

I too was up all night the times I took Mucinex DM. Best to take in the morning hour, but night is when most the coughing exists. The sleep is needed badly to get rid of the cold.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2011 2:32 AM

Review by SinusSufferer:

I am a long-time sinus sufferer. Mucinex is a God send. Mucinex-D works fabulous for the morning and all-day relief. For bed, I just take Mucinex (without the D) so that I don't have the stimulant effect of the pseudoephedrine running through me. Works like a charm to get some sleep. Do not like generic versions. They don't work like the brand-name Mucinex does. Expensive but so worth every cent!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2011 1:22 PM

I have been taking the 1200mg for about 5 days now (every 12 hours as directed). I have had NO side effects. My body is very sensitive to certain types of medications, but this has only helped me. I started out with a bad cough and chest cold. After taking Mucinex for a couple of days I noticed the coughing decreasing. I now have a stuffy nose/sinus pain- but it also has helped with the congestion.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2011 10:48 AM

When I took Mucinex D maximum strength for the first time, I did have great relief of congestion, but I also experienced very scary rapid heartbeat, dizziness and anxiety. The anxiety may be due to feeling like I had something really wrong going on, I'm not sure. I have taken many different OTC medications through the years and have never had an experience like this one.

February 25, 2011 4:39 PM

Review by MandyGirl510:

Works very well with clearing up my nasal congestion but I took it at night and I am sleepless and jittery.

February 3, 2011 12:58 AM

Just remember there are 3 types of Mucinex: "D", "DM" and plain Mucinex. The "DM" caused my chest to ache but the "D" cleared up the mucus fast.

January 31, 2011 6:12 PM

I love this medicine. I am getting ready to go to Hawaii and sure enough, started to get a cold before the trip. I took this, along with drinking Emergen-C, and it dried up my nose and my cough was gone within 3 hours and I have yet to cough again. Only downside (and this could be because I'm only 105 lbs), but it did give me the runs. Fair trade considering I can now breathe without coughing on everyone.

December 16, 2010 1:21 PM

Love this product. I've used Mucinex before for cough congestion and I didn't feel that worked at all for me, but Mucinex D has already offered me much relief from my sinus infection. I couldn't breath through my nose at all and within 3 1/2 hours I feel better and can breathe. I took this with 2 Exedrin back and body for the severe tender/nose pain and feel relieved and comfortable. Still tired (no insomnia here; 600/600mg dosage) and ready to finally get some sleep.

October 13, 2010 8:08 PM

I am definitely feeling better as far as not being congested goes. However, I am writing this at 4:52am because I have not been able to sleep all night long. I took the medicine at about 8pm so I probably won't be doing that again.

September 6, 2010 4:54 AM

As a flight attendant, I won't leave home without it. It's the only thing that will clear up tough congestion in my ears and sinuses that I sometimes experience on the plane.

May 31, 2010 2:44 PM

Took one pill before bed (about 8 pm) and was up, literally all night. Fell asleep the next morning at 9 am. The pill worked great on my sinuses but should have taken it in the morning. The packaging does not detail this side effect very well.

May 24, 2010 11:36 AM

This medication cleared my completely congested nose in about an hour. I could breathe perfectly clearly through both nostrils! However, as others have mentioned, it made my heart race, and when I was exercising later that night, I felt lightheaded and had to quit early. I also couldn't sleep that night. My heart was feeling very fluttery and I was wide awake in bed.

March 23, 2010 7:17 AM

I have suffered Sinus problems my entire life, I have found that using a Saline Sinus wash 2 times a day ( Morning and Evening, before I shower) and takinfg Mucinex D when I am having really bad episodes, seems to be the perfect combo. I was also told that you should not take Mucinex D for more than 5 days. if you take it for 5 days you should go off of it for 15 days before going back on the medication. The Sinus wash is the secret, I also use a swimmer ears solution in my ears a couple of times a week and this seems to help with the build up of bacteria in the fluid that is always in my ears. I hope this helps.

February 15, 2010 12:14 PM

It definitely works. But it is an intense stimulant and will keep you up all night. I would take one in the morning and that's it.

January 30, 2010 8:59 AM

I started taking Mucinex D a few days ago and since then my eyes have completely dried out. I've started getting severe earaches for the first time in my life, and I haven't been able to sleep. I have no idea why this is happening. I keep drinking tons of water but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

January 4, 2010 7:47 AM

Great sinus relief.

December 13, 2009 12:36 PM

Review by sleepy269:

I am 235 lbs and took one at noon and by 1:00 PM I was feeling great! I did not take another but still could not sleep that night, neither could my wife who took one also. Almost a fair trade.

December 4, 2009 2:25 AM