User Reviews for Mucinex D (Page 3)

Learn more about Mucinex D.

Mucinex D Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 409 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Mucinex D to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

"I've been plugged up literally for years and had found no relief until now. I had tried everything from frequently rinsing my sinuses with a neti pot system, to prescriptions such as Nasonex, warm/moist heating pads, other over the counter medicines, etc. At this moment I feel pretty great. I took my first Mucinex D tab yesterday late afternoon and my second one this morning. My nose feels completely clear, the pressure behind my eyes is gone, my head feels normal for once....even my ears feel less plugged and are not clicking and popping nearly as much as usual. I'm surprised I have not had the insomnia and jitters that it seems most others have experienced. No unpleasant side effects so far. I highly recommend this! The relief is worth the $$."

JmichGee (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2014

"I took this medicine (2 pills) at 9 PM. I went up to bed at 10:30 and was not able to sleep all night. I tossed and turned, felt wide awake, and I am now at work. It did clear my sinuses and my severe headache is gone. It also made me feel jittery or like I am experiencing anxiety. I am definitely only going to take this first thing in the morning."

jodioctober January 21, 2014

"Mucinex D works, but do not take the medicine at night. I cannot get to sleep for nothing, and the heart palpitations are really bothering me."

MCarter584 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2014

"Bad case of Bronchitis and sinus pressure. I took Mucinex DM, 1 pill every 12 hours, for a week. I would fall asleep fine, but wake up 3-4 hours later and could not get back to sleep. I ran out of DM, and for the last few days took the Mucinex D instead. Not much sleep the first night, NO sleep at all last night combined with a lot of post nasal drip and the jitters. So glad I finally figured it out, as I'm a walking zombie right now. I will never take Mucinex D past the morning hours again."

yawnnn January 16, 2014

"I have not slept in 2 nights. It's 4 am and I'm wide awake. I'm so glad I found this website because I thought there might me something wrong with me. Would have never thought Mucinex was the culprit! Although it has definitely cleared up all my congestion. "

Tired- insomnia!! January 10, 2014

"Yep, I took ONLY 1 Mucinex D almost 24 hours ago for the 1st time and I'm still up. During the 1st 12 hours I didn't sleep a wink because I took this pill right before bed. My nose was dripping the whole night. This thing definitely unclogged my sinuses without the uncomfortable burning sensation of inhaling and the pain behind my face. My sinus relief lasted the whole 12 hours! I kept thinking it would wear off sooner. Throughout the day I haven't stopped sneezing and it's a scary sneeze, as in a loud scream, I've been scaring people all day. This is not my normal/typical sneeze. I usually sneeze like a silent little bunny! This is how I found this website to find out what this sneezing is all about. Doctor prescribed."

QT PI December 10, 2013

"Thankfully I am no longer coughing, but after taking it at 11pm and waking up at 2am and not being able to go back to sleep, I'm wishing that I had read the reviews first. "

Awake45664 November 27, 2013

"Well I TOO am up right now, 3:07am. I thought it was my cough, which had a lot to do with it, but I was laying down causing the drip. Weird dreams, Yes. "

SuckaDucka November 20, 2013

"This medicine works great. I took two pills every twelve hours and my congestion and pressure was gone within two days. HOWEVER, DO NOT TAKE THIS AT NIGHT. I am talking little to no sleep...tossing and turning, waking up every 30 minutes, etc. So just take two pills in the morning and it will be all good!"

ArielL November 17, 2013

"I have had stuffy nose for over a month, been on 2 different antibiotics and various antihistamines and decongestants. After second dose of Mucinex D, I can breath again. Took first dosage four hours before bedtime, and a hit of Nyquil that night, and I slept great. I'm sorry that I did not try this a month ago."

Stuffynoseforamonth November 7, 2013

"Took at 7pm and wide awake at 1:40 am right now! No sleep in sight but I can breathe. Tomorrow should be interesting."

Gloriadsm (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2013

"I have to say, I wish I read this blog beforehand. I took a Mucinex D at 7pm last night and it's 9:30 am, I haven't really gone to sleep. I tried to fall asleep around 11pm, and after 2 1/2 hours of tossing and turning and CRAZY dreams where I wasn't really asleep but wasn't completely awake either, I got up and watched some T.V to get my mind to settle down. Needless to say, I was never tired after that so I've been up since. I noticed several people saying that you should only take one pill. The back of my box says to take 2 pills every 12 hours so I'm assuming there are two different types. Just beware....not only did it give me insomnia, but the dreams were seriously weird."

kfrye16 September 17, 2013

"I caught flu last week and after 4 days of congestion to the point I thought my head would explode, I took some double strength Mucinex. The pharmacist told me it was as strong as 12 cough syrups and to take it before I went to bed that very night, but after coming here first and reading reviews which claim insomnia, I decided to take it the next morning. Wow! I can breath out of my nose and I'm definitely feeling a lot better. The only problem is that it seems to have some sort of peppy ingredient in it which dries you out quickly if you're not actively drinking through the day. Still, a million times better than Lemsip!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2013

"Absolutely amazing! My partner and I have nasal congestion for weeks but 10 minutes after taking one, we coughed and all of a sudden were clear! I feel like I haven't used the bottom half of my lungs in weeks. A little bit expensive. "

Zany83 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2013

"Very effective at relieving symptoms, but my husband and I both are experiencing insomnia and some anxiety with it."

Kd0714 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2013

"Yeah. If you want a good decongestant, Mucinex D is for you. Took my first dose at 4 PM, warned that it could cause "sleeplessness". Thought I was in the clear, but LOW AND BEHOLD I am hear writing this review to the world after that one dose. Current time: 7:15 AM. Taking another just to keep me up for class today. Hurray."

WhyCan'tISleep April 17, 2013

"I have suffered from allergic rhinitis all my life: dry swollen sinus; sinus pressure; headaches; blurry vision; dizziness; lethargy; all sorts of cognitive problems because of the lack of oxygen to my body and brain due to thicken mucus in my respiratory system; not to mention frequent bacterial infections due to accumulated mucus secretions. I had tried every other medicine under the sun. Mucinex has taken all that away and my quality of life has improved 150%. I strongly recommend Mucinex for those with sinus problems due to allergic rhinitis, or anyone who suffers from sinus any sort of respiratory congestion period."

SinusSufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2013

"Works great on my sinus pressure/cold, now I can breathe no more stuff up nose or runny nose. Had no problem sleeping but it did give me a severe headache--so now trying half the recommended dose, got immediate relief just waiting to see if it will still give me a headache."

nutz1990 February 20, 2013

"It worked just minutes after taking it, loosened up all the mucus!! Will definitely be a must have in the medicine cabinet."

whit lindsey February 1, 2013

"Mucinex D is great. I have never had any insomnia or side effects from it. I follow the recommend dosage which is one pill every 12 hrs. I recommend this for everyone to try."

Raj210 January 29, 2013

"This worked well for me. I had what felt like a pretty bad cold....headache, nasal and chest congestion and generally run down feeling. Stayed in bed the first day and on the second I took the prescribed dose of Mucinex D - 2 tablets at 7:30 pm. I didn't experience the insomnia others spoke of, but maybe my perspective is different, because I KNOW that if I hadn't taken it I'd be up blowing my nose and coughing all night. Yes, I did wake up a few times more than usual, but I wasn't miserable when I did."

Joyous56 December 31, 2012

"This definitely works to clear up nasal congestion, but I took it at 5:30pm and was up all night. I haven't been able to sleep at all. It's now 4:30am & I'm still wide awake. I have to go to work so will be taking another dose in an hour to keep me up. I will not take a 2nd dose later today so I can sleep but I look forward to being able to breath while I'm at work so still worth taking the medicine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2012

"Love this. When I get a sinus infection, it's very stubborn, and having been given antibiotics way too often all my life, they don't really work anymore. I try to tough it out usually, but when it gets so bad that I'm reaching for my Afrin multiple times a day (a blessing and a curse as it works almost instantly, but causes rebound congestion), I head out and grab some Mucinex D. My doctor warned me about the insomnia the first time she recommended it, so I knew what to expect, but honestly it's worth it to me to be able to breathe. My ears usually feel even more clogged up at first when taking this stuff, but that clears up after the first 24 hours, and I'll take that over the facial pain from sinus pressure."

AmandaBourbois December 1, 2012

"Definitely helped to reduce my congestion. I took it at 7PM and literally did not sleep at all that night. Had I known that this would happen, I would not have taken it in the evening."

Anonymous October 14, 2012

"I developed a serious cold with immense pressure fom my sinuses on my eyes and head. The first day at 7am I took two Mucinex-D ( Clears nasal/sinus congestion, Thins and loosens mucus) in the morning and sure enough within hours my nasal passages cleared and there was constant flow of mucus throughout the day. I was sneezing all through the day. Again took two at 7pm in the evening same result. I slept for maybe 3 hours and then was up all night until 6am. All night I was constantly blowing my nose and sneezing. The next morning I took two. Maybe tonight I will not take any. The only discomfort I notice is my left nostril that is the one most clogged is constantly itchy like I want to sneeze all the time and of course the insomnia."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2012