User Reviews for Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine

Also known as: Abletex-PSE, Aldex GS, Altarussin PE, Ambi 60/1000, Ambi 60/580, Ambi 80/780, Ambifed, Ambifed-G, Ami-Tex PSE, Anatuss LA, Aquatab D Dose Pack, Biotuss PE, Coldmist, Coldmist Jr, Coldmist LA, ...show all 141 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine.

Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 631 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I have bronchitis was coughing non stop with chest congestion. I bought a package of Mucinex DM, I took one tablet around 10pm fell asleep at midnight woke up at 2am jittery still completely wide awake at 6am, good news is I can breathe clearly I haven't coughed in 8 hours; it works that's why I give it a 9, but this stuff is really powerful, I might be awake another 24 hours.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 9:18 AM

Review by Pamwa:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): It works but, it's the pseudoephedrine that keeps you awake all night tossing and turning and I had that for about three days. I was physically exhausted but, wide awake.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by donnad775 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I wish I would have read this before I had taken it. I have been awake for over 24 hours! I've been sick for days and now can't sleep. Yes I can breathe and less congestion but now I'm exhausted.

July 2, 2014 5:35 PM

Review by Galatea (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I'm having a very severe nasal congestion from a cold. My normal DayQuil/NyQuil were not helping at all. Tried Sudafed, also did not help. Went to chemist in search of powerful medication and got the highest dosage of Mucinex D at the pharmacist's recommendation. Was warned about possible insomnia so I took 1 pill at 5pm thinking it's still more than 5 hours to bed time and I should be fine. Well, the congestion was gone. But I was up for the next 28 hours straight. The congestion returned after about 15 hours which makes me think the medicines effect must have worn off and I can take a nap. But no. After being up for 28 hours I decided that if I'm not getting any rest I may never get over my cold so I took a sleeping pill.

May 9, 2014 11:56 AM

Review by Nick14683;?,($:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Took it expecting to cure my stuffy nose/cough. I feel like it made it worse.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2014 3:22 AM

Review by cloworm:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I read the reviews on Mucinex and was a little concerned but I was also desperate. For 2 months I had a thick post nasal drip that would cause me to constantly cough, especially at night. I had to sleep sitting up in my chair in the living room. I was wheezing, runny nose, coughing up tons of mucus or clearing my throat from it. I took one tablet at 8 am and another tablet at 8 pm. OMG I can clearly breathe with no wheezing or congestion or mucus getting in my way. I slept through the night and when I woke up my nasal passages and throat were clear.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 9:53 AM

Review by Momma of three (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I thought it helped a lot, not a miracle or anything of course. I felt better and did not have any sleep issues while using it. I hope that is just dependent on the user.

April 10, 2014 11:19 PM

Review by up at night:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Jittery and wide awake. But works great. Do not take before bed!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2014 2:28 AM

Review by Solo672:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): It's 2:30 am and I'm wide awake! At the suggestion of my doctor, she said to take Mucinex D ... BIG MISTAKE! I'm definitely breathing perfectly, but I'm jittery and unable to sleep! Mucinex D in the morning, Sinex at night!

February 18, 2014 2:36 AM

Review by JmichGee (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I've been plugged up literally for years and had found no relief until now. I had tried everything from frequently rinsing my sinuses with a neti pot system, to prescriptions such as Nasonex, warm/moist heating pads, other over the counter medicines, etc. At this moment I feel pretty great. I took my first Mucinex D tab yesterday late afternoon and my second one this morning. My nose feels completely clear, the pressure behind my eyes is gone, my head feels normal for once....even my ears feel less plugged and are not clicking and popping nearly as much as usual. I'm surprised I have not had the insomnia and jitters that it seems most others have experienced. No unpleasant side effects so far. I highly recommend this! The relief is worth the $$.

February 9, 2014 7:42 PM

Review by jodioctober:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I took this medicine (2 pills) at 9 PM. I went up to bed at 10:30 and was not able to sleep all night. I tossed and turned, felt wide awake, and I am now at work. It did clear my sinuses and my severe headache is gone. It also made me feel jittery or like I am experiencing anxiety. I am definitely only going to take this first thing in the morning.

January 21, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by MCarter584 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Mucinex D works, but do not take the medicine at night. I cannot get to sleep for nothing, and the heart palpitations are really bothering me.

January 17, 2014 2:49 AM

Review by yawnnn:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Bad case of Bronchitis and sinus pressure. I took Mucinex DM, 1 pill every 12 hours, for a week. I would fall asleep fine, but wake up 3-4 hours later and could not get back to sleep. I ran out of DM, and for the last few days took the Mucinex D instead. Not much sleep the first night, NO sleep at all last night combined with a lot of post nasal drip and the jitters. So glad I finally figured it out, as I'm a walking zombie right now. I will never take Mucinex D past the morning hours again.

January 16, 2014 12:10 PM

Review by Tired- insomnia!!:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I have not slept in 2 nights. It's 4 am and I'm wide awake. I'm so glad I found this website because I thought there might me something wrong with me. Would have never thought Mucinex was the culprit! Although it has definitely cleared up all my congestion.

January 10, 2014 5:15 AM

Review by QT PI:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Yep, I took ONLY 1 Mucinex D almost 24 hours ago for the 1st time and I'm still up. During the 1st 12 hours I didn't sleep a wink because I took this pill right before bed. My nose was dripping the whole night. This thing definitely unclogged my sinuses without the uncomfortable burning sensation of inhaling and the pain behind my face. My sinus relief lasted the whole 12 hours! I kept thinking it would wear off sooner. Throughout the day I haven't stopped sneezing and it's a scary sneeze, as in a loud scream, I've been scaring people all day. This is not my normal/typical sneeze. I usually sneeze like a silent little bunny! This is how I found this website to find out what this sneezing is all about. Doctor prescribed.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by Awake45664:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Thankfully I am no longer coughing, but after taking it at 11pm and waking up at 2am and not being able to go back to sleep, I'm wishing that I had read the reviews first.

November 27, 2013 5:21 AM

Review by SuckaDucka:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Well I TOO am up right now, 3:07am. I thought it was my cough, which had a lot to do with it, but I was laying down causing the drip. Weird dreams, Yes.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 6:13 AM

Review by ArielL:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): This medicine works great. I took two pills every twelve hours and my congestion and pressure was gone within two days. HOWEVER, DO NOT TAKE THIS AT NIGHT. I am talking little to no sleep...tossing and turning, waking up every 30 minutes, etc. So just take two pills in the morning and it will be all good!

November 17, 2013 3:24 AM

Review by Stuffynoseforamonth:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I have had stuffy nose for over a month, been on 2 different antibiotics and various antihistamines and decongestants. After second dose of Mucinex D, I can breath again. Took first dosage four hours before bedtime, and a hit of Nyquil that night, and I slept great. I'm sorry that I did not try this a month ago.

November 7, 2013 12:01 PM

Review by Gloriadsm (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Took at 7pm and wide awake at 1:40 am right now! No sleep in sight but I can breathe. Tomorrow should be interesting.

October 22, 2013 1:43 AM

Review by kfrye16:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I have to say, I wish I read this blog beforehand. I took a Mucinex D at 7pm last night and it's 9:30 am, I haven't really gone to sleep. I tried to fall asleep around 11pm, and after 2 1/2 hours of tossing and turning and CRAZY dreams where I wasn't really asleep but wasn't completely awake either, I got up and watched some T.V to get my mind to settle down. Needless to say, I was never tired after that so I've been up since. I noticed several people saying that you should only take one pill. The back of my box says to take 2 pills every 12 hours so I'm assuming there are two different types. Just beware....not only did it give me insomnia, but the dreams were seriously weird.

September 17, 2013 9:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): I caught flu last week and after 4 days of congestion to the point I thought my head would explode, I took some double strength Mucinex. The pharmacist told me it was as strong as 12 cough syrups and to take it before I went to bed that very night, but after coming here first and reading reviews which claim insomnia, I decided to take it the next morning. Wow! I can breath out of my nose and I'm definitely feeling a lot better. The only problem is that it seems to have some sort of peppy ingredient in it which dries you out quickly if you're not actively drinking through the day. Still, a million times better than Lemsip!

September 1, 2013 4:16 PM

Review by Zany83 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Absolutely amazing! My partner and I have nasal congestion for weeks but 10 minutes after taking one, we coughed and all of a sudden were clear! I feel like I haven't used the bottom half of my lungs in weeks. A little bit expensive.

August 27, 2013 1:48 AM

Review by Kd0714 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Very effective at relieving symptoms, but my husband and I both are experiencing insomnia and some anxiety with it.

May 6, 2013 4:48 AM

Review by WhyCan'tISleep:

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): Yeah. If you want a good decongestant, Mucinex D is for you. Took my first dose at 4 PM, warned that it could cause "sleeplessness". Thought I was in the clear, but LOW AND BEHOLD I am hear writing this review to the world after that one dose. Current time: 7:15 AM. Taking another just to keep me up for class today. Hurray.

April 17, 2013 8:16 AM