User Reviews for Glipizide

Also known as: GlipiZIDE XL, Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL

Learn more about Glipizide.

Diabetes, Type 2 19 reviews 124 medications

7.5
Summary of Glipizide reviews 19 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Glipizide

Review by GamerMom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetes, Type 2: After having a severe reaction to Metformin, the doctor put me on Glipizide. While I don't faint on this medication, the side effects have been horrible for me. My sugar does seem to be better after being high for so long, it's finally below 160 most of the time. However, I am severely dizzy and foggy-headed constantly, to the point I stopped driving. Also have bad lower back ache, nausea, stomach upset any time I eat, blurry vision (I have perfect vision so this bothers me), and I've noticed some changes in my emotional response to things as well, such as anger and a bit of depression - which I've never had. The effects have been bad enough that I've had to take off work several days in a row as well as miss school.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by pagibson2014:

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I had severe headaches, muscle aches, anxiety. I felt flushed, skin excessively warm. Dizziness my eyeballs hurt. Nausea, vomiting, motion sickness yes motion sickness.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I was on Metformin and had trouble with the Diarrhea side effects. Dr put me on Glipizide Er 10mgs. Works great and no side effects. Added Januvia to my therapy. 6.4 A1c.

August 9, 2013 2:38 PM

Review by helenhays03 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I was put on Glipizide ER after having bad side effects from Metformin ER. Had the diarrhea with it. Have had no problems with Glipizide.

July 27, 2013 2:02 AM

Review by Loni Q (taken for 5 to 10 years):

GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have used Glipizide XL for about 6 years now as a secondary medicine. Glipizide helps to keep my blood sugar numbers within range and keeps me from having to use insulin as much as I would without it, which is a good thing. I haven't had any side effects from the glipizide at all. I'm very happy with this medication.

March 4, 2013 3:12 PM

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I was taking it for 7 days had uncontrollable itching, it controlled my sugar really well but the itching was awful.

July 9, 2012 5:44 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Blood sugar was stuck at 150 to 160 with no change for a while. A1C edging up to critical level. Within five days was within 110 and seven days under 100. Side effects were no worse than Metformin alone.

April 10, 2012 11:23 AM

Review by dano9999:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Since starting to take a low dose of glipizide, my distance vision has improved to where I don't need my glasses at all.

December 27, 2011 8:29 PM

Review by mozayic:

GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have taken Glipizide and Glipizide XL in conjunction with metformin for a number of years with no side effects. Anyone taking Glipizide (not XL) should be aware that blood sugar levels can plummet quickly and that dosage timing may need to be readjusted. With Glipizide XL, I have not experienced these fluctuations; however, the positive control appears to take effect much slower as this is a time-released form.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2011 8:26 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Since going in the hospital with 790 count and staying 5 days. Since june 24th my count is 94--120 and its excellent.

August 11, 2011 1:29 PM

Review by bigboots:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I'm male, 52, and have been a diabetic for 11years. For eight of those years I was prescribed glipizide, and it worked very well for me in keeping my glucose levels under control. The only adverse side effect that I experienced was sensitivity to the sun and to my computer screen. Sunscreen lotion with SPF 30 protection solved that problem. A new PCP tried to switch me to metformin, but I was intolerant to that medicine (bloating and diarrhea).

April 16, 2011 2:31 PM

Review by Kelly Vickers:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I've found this to be the best diabetes medicine I've used. In the extended release version it provides consistent and significant reduction of blood sugar readings. My A1C dropped two full points with this medicine alone.

July 21, 2010 9:43 AM

Review by sfma:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on metformin for 6 years started at 500 mg per day. Now at 1,000 mg twice per day. Was holding glucose level at 135 with a A1C of 6.4 but my A1C keeps going up more at 7.2 now. Doctor said to now take glipizide 2.5 mg in addition to 2,000mg of metformin to bring A1C down. Have now been on both medicines for about two weeks. I had a very bad drop in glucose to 73 first day in a four hour span after eating. I drank juice to bring up glucose level. Next day it was worse glucose dropped to 51. Had very bad side effects, ate some jelly and 4 oz juice. Next day I decided to not take metformin with breakfast only 2.5 mg glipizide. Sugar held good for 6 hours but then dropped to 69. Ate supper early - this worked.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2009 5:47 PM

Review by happy fart:

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have taken it for over 10 years and I have had excellent results and I am still taking the amount that I was started on and my readings average 95. If you can beat that with another medicine please let me know what it is.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2009 11:25 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Must eat before taking this medication.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2009 3:38 PM

Review by ybee:

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: It worked extremely well for me. It lowers my blood sugar level fast. My doctor changed me to Janumet and Starlix and they are not doing the job. I am going to request that I return to Glucotrol.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2009 2:18 AM

Review by yaban:

For : I've been taking Novomix and I had to go abroad. So I asked my doctor subtitude for Insulin because my blood sugar levels were between 190-250. He suggested glipizide and now my counts are between 115 - 120. I hsve now been taking glipizide nearly for a month. I eat less than usual and I exercise.

October 28, 2008 3:13 PM

Review by bahaikat:

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Works very well. No noticable side effects.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2008 9:15 PM

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I've been taking glipizide for two weeks. It is effective in lowering blood sugar and helps with post prandial spikes. It works fast, sometimes too fast and has forced me to modify the timing and quantity of my meals.

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2008 12:52 PM

Review by tammer65:

For Diabetes, Type 2: This drug has been great at bringing down my blood sugar levels and my A1C to acceptable levels in the 6 months I've been taking it (blood glucose ranges from 90 - 130 instead of 180-240, and A1C is 6.5 instead of 8.5).

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2008 11:05 PM