User Reviews for Glipizide

Also known as: GlipiZIDE XL, Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL

Learn more about Glipizide.

Diabetes, Type 2 23 reviews 118 medications

7.5
Summary of Glipizide reviews 23 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Glipizide

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I take a glipizide /metformin combo and have no stomach problems on it. It does quickly lower blood sugar sometimes to hyperglycemia numbers. I was on Glumetza a metformin hcl , coated tablet, non generic, very expensive almost $170.00 per month which had no gastric side effects because it is made by a company that specializes in gastro medication."

RDWP May 27, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Type 2. Active mom, 47, work, dance, sing, travel. 1000mg metformin twice a day, readings with Tradjenta between 140-230. Another doctor recommended yesterday to try Glipizide for 30 days, this morning a surprising 104. Feeling well."

D2Club April 5, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been a Type 2 diabetic since 2007. I take Glipizide which is very effective at keeping my blood sugar levels down. But everyday it gives me an upset stomach and diarrhea which has me miserable. Just yesterday I had to stop what I was doing and rush home to the toilet. Horrible! Just imagine having terrible stomach pains and diarrhea everyday! It wasn%u2019t until recently that I realized this was a side effect of the Glipizide. I thought it was from foods containing Gluten that I have been eating. I had tried Metformin and that is just as bad. I%u2019m in the process of asking my doctor if there is something else I can take that won%u2019t upset my stomach so much. Right now I%u2019m in between jobs but need to get back to work! It%u2019s hard to"

DayStar 5000 January 27, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was originally on Metformin 500mg. It got to a point where my A1C was going up so my dr put me on 1000mg (1x in the morning and 1x with dinner). My stomach couldn't handle it. My blood sugar levels were up and down. So I asked my dr if I could try something else. She put me on 2.5mg Glipizide ER and I feel so much better on it! I don't have the stomach issues and my blood sugar levels are lower and more stable. I'm glad I switched to Glipizide! I won't know my A1C until December but I expect it to be much better."

CSmith99 (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: "After having a severe reaction to Metformin, the doctor put me on Glipizide. While I don't faint on this medication, the side effects have been horrible for me. My sugar does seem to be better after being high for so long, it's finally below 160 most of the time. However, I am severely dizzy and foggy-headed constantly, to the point I stopped driving. Also have bad lower back ache, nausea, stomach upset any time I eat, blurry vision (I have perfect vision so this bothers me), and I've noticed some changes in my emotional response to things as well, such as anger and a bit of depression - which I've never had. The effects have been bad enough that I've had to take off work several days in a row as well as miss school."

GamerMom (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I had severe headaches, muscle aches, anxiety. I felt flushed, skin excessively warm. Dizziness my eyeballs hurt. Nausea, vomiting, motion sickness yes motion sickness."

pagibson2014 August 10, 2014

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was on Metformin and had trouble with the Diarrhea side effects. Dr put me on Glipizide Er 10mgs. Works great and no side effects. Added Januvia to my therapy. 6.4 A1c."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2013

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was put on Glipizide ER after having bad side effects from Metformin ER. Had the diarrhea with it. Have had no problems with Glipizide."

helenhays03 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2013

GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have used Glipizide XL for about 6 years now as a secondary medicine. Glipizide helps to keep my blood sugar numbers within range and keeps me from having to use insulin as much as I would without it, which is a good thing. I haven't had any side effects from the glipizide at all. I'm very happy with this medication."

Loni Q (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2013

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was taking it for 7 days had uncontrollable itching, it controlled my sugar really well but the itching was awful."

Anonymous July 9, 2012

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Blood sugar was stuck at 150 to 160 with no change for a while. A1C edging up to critical level. Within five days was within 110 and seven days under 100. Side effects were no worse than Metformin alone."

Anonymous April 10, 2012

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Since starting to take a low dose of glipizide, my distance vision has improved to where I don't need my glasses at all."

dano9999 December 27, 2011

GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have taken Glipizide and Glipizide XL in conjunction with metformin for a number of years with no side effects. Anyone taking Glipizide (not XL) should be aware that blood sugar levels can plummet quickly and that dosage timing may need to be readjusted. With Glipizide XL, I have not experienced these fluctuations; however, the positive control appears to take effect much slower as this is a time-released form."

mozayic November 3, 2011

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Since going in the hospital with 790 count and staying 5 days. Since june 24th my count is 94--120 and its excellent."

Anonymous August 11, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I'm male, 52, and have been a diabetic for 11years. For eight of those years I was prescribed glipizide, and it worked very well for me in keeping my glucose levels under control. The only adverse side effect that I experienced was sensitivity to the sun and to my computer screen. Sunscreen lotion with SPF 30 protection solved that problem. A new PCP tried to switch me to metformin, but I was intolerant to that medicine (bloating and diarrhea)."

bigboots April 16, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I've found this to be the best diabetes medicine I've used. In the extended release version it provides consistent and significant reduction of blood sugar readings. My A1C dropped two full points with this medicine alone."

Kelly Vickers July 21, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on metformin for 6 years started at 500 mg per day. Now at 1,000 mg twice per day. Was holding glucose level at 135 with a A1C of 6.4 but my A1C keeps going up more at 7.2 now. Doctor said to now take glipizide 2.5 mg in addition to 2,000mg of metformin to bring A1C down. Have now been on both medicines for about two weeks. I had a very bad drop in glucose to 73 first day in a four hour span after eating. I drank juice to bring up glucose level. Next day it was worse glucose dropped to 51. Had very bad side effects, ate some jelly and 4 oz juice. Next day I decided to not take metformin with breakfast only 2.5 mg glipizide. Sugar held good for 6 hours but then dropped to 69. Ate supper early - this worked."

sfma October 18, 2009

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have taken it for over 10 years and I have had excellent results and I am still taking the amount that I was started on and my readings average 95. If you can beat that with another medicine please let me know what it is."

happy fart August 19, 2009

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Must eat before taking this medication."

Anonymous July 26, 2009

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "It worked extremely well for me. It lowers my blood sugar level fast. My doctor changed me to Janumet and Starlix and they are not doing the job. I am going to request that I return to Glucotrol."

ybee June 2, 2009

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For : "I've been taking Novomix and I had to go abroad. So I asked my doctor subtitude for Insulin because my blood sugar levels were between 190-250. He suggested glipizide and now my counts are between 115 - 120. I hsve now been taking glipizide nearly for a month. I eat less than usual and I exercise. "

yaban October 28, 2008

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Works very well. No noticable side effects."

bahaikat October 27, 2008

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been taking glipizide for two weeks. It is effective in lowering blood sugar and helps with post prandial spikes. It works fast, sometimes too fast and has forced me to modify the timing and quantity of my meals."

Anonymous June 30, 2008

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This drug has been great at bringing down my blood sugar levels and my A1C to acceptable levels in the 6 months I've been taking it (blood glucose ranges from 90 - 130 instead of 180-240, and A1C is 6.5 instead of 8.5)."

tammer65 May 28, 2008

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate