User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia

Review by Hello415:

I have had trigeminal neuralgia for about six years, I am 32. Luckily for me the pain has been bearable and I felt I had not needed medication until this year (2014) when the pain became really agonizing. I have been pain free since starting the med. Every now and then I will get a little twitch or pinch from the trigeminal nerve, but nothing like the shooting pain I was having before. I take 300mg every night before bed. Recently, there was a mix up with the prescription refill and my insurance, and due to these circumstances I went about a week without taking the medication. The trigeminal pain slowly came back and became more and more intense during the time I had run out. This medicine is great, pain went away soon after taking it again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 12:34 AM

Review by petey from NJ:

I began experiencing trigeminal neuralgia a few years after chemo. I had 5 courses of bleomycin, Velban and Cisplatin (1980s) When I first took Neurontin to control the pain I was taking 900 to 1200 mgs per day. As the symptoms decreased in frequency I weaned off and now take it only when needed. I can feel the changes in my skin when its going to start. I don't wait for the shooting pain, I now take 300 mgs gabapentin at the slightest tingling of my scalp. It helps tremendously. The only problem is saying whatever comes to mind , especially when taking prednisone at the same time.

January 30, 2014 11:25 PM

Review by Tyroli:

All branches of the Trigeminal firing with chewing, talking, brushing teeth, etc. Neurontin works wonders. I'm taking 400 mg every 3 to 4 hrs...with relief after 3 doses. HAVE TO TAKE IT REGULARLY. Have taken even higher dose when I had very painful bouts (for 10 yrs) and also had glossopharngeal (9th nerve) neuralgia. Breathe and exercise to keep centered and balanced. No bad side effects like many other medicines I've tried.

January 8, 2014 5:45 PM

Review by REO1923:

Diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia 12 yrs ago and put on Neurontin(Gabapentin). This worked well for me and I rarely had an incident of Trigeminal N. pain. I've backed down from my 3x day 600mg dosage over the yrs to a 2x 300 mg. with good affect. Recently at age 72 I had a stroke which left me with aphasia and apraxia. My body was relatively unaffected, but my speech is a big problem. Neurologist suggested slowly coming off Gabapentin. I gradually skipped a dose now and again to get to the point of no Gabapentin. Shooting hot pain returned in my temple and down the right side of my face. Back on Gabapentin. This was a good reminder to me as to how much misery Gabapentin was protecting me from. Love Gabapentin!

October 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by Trish /-: (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I found that Gabapentin & Topamax reduced my Trigeminal Neuralgia pain by far but I couldn't think straight. So I stopped taking them and now I am in daily pain.

April 24, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by Rosentrekker (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am now 79, but had trigeminal neuralgia attacks for at least 35 years. I would get an unprictable jabbing pain on either the right or the left side of my face about once or twice a year. For years I did not know what caused it and simply toughed it out. It was usually gone after about a week or so. About ten years ago I mentioned it to my family doc who sent me to a nerve specialist. He diagnosed it right away and prescribed Neurontin. Now, when I feel the first jab coming on, I take one or 2 pills and follow it up with additional pills until the pain goes away, usually in 2 or 3 days.

August 19, 2012 1:41 AM

I was prescribed Gabapentin 300MG two to three times daily in conjunction with Percocet for pain related to Trigeminal Neuralgia. Taken together the pain was reduced by two thirds and became more of a dull pain as compared with the constant, sharp, burning red hot poker pain I had been experiencing. I noticed no ill effects from this combination. I was able to function, multitask, strategize and work as a purchaser without problem. I felt a little more carefree than is usual but this did not seem to transfer over into any decision making. The only drawback was that together this combination was only effective for four hours at a time.

December 11, 2011 3:25 PM

Review by DeeDeeT:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I have been on Gabapentin for a few years now and I have found it helping control the Trigeminal Neuralgia pain with 800mg 3x daily. However, also have found that if I forget to take it consistently, the pain returns immediately. I am hoping that it will continue to work for as long as needed. Research I have done indicates that one usually can come off the medicines after 1 yr and that the pain does not return, but have not been so lucky. I have not had any other side effects so far with it nor any other medication I have been prescribed for conditions. One word of note, this medication did help but only after being on it for at least 2 weeks, so my recommendation would be - give it a chance to work when starting this medicine.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2011 2:20 PM

This medicine does not help me at all with Trigeminal Neuralgia.

March 14, 2011 12:24 AM

Review by itsmel65:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia if Feb. 2005. The pain associated with this is excruciating, to say the least. I have never had such pain in all my life. Just two nights ago I was in the ER with another episode. The doctor prescribed me Neurontin. I slept so good last night! The first good night's sleep I have had since I can remember. My episodes happen unexpectedly and it could happen at the drop of a hat. Then I might go a year before another "attack". I just never know when this will occur. But I do know one thing, I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I am praying that the Neurontin will help subside the "attacks" and the horrible pain associated with Trigeminal Neuralgia.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2011 6:00 AM

Neurontin (gabapentin): I have had trigeminal neuralgia since early 2009. I initially tried Tegratol but was unfortunately allergic to it (anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndrome). Thankfully I was eventually given Neurontin. I am currently on 1200mg three times daily and it is working in conjunction with paracetamol. It has given me respite from the pain and hopefully will continue to do so until I have my operation in late May 2010.

May 5, 2010 9:16 PM

Review by gdk:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Had post herpectic trigeminal neuralgia (one of the worst cases in history according to my doctors). Began treatment with medications available in 1995, which almost destroyed my endocrine system. I tried Neurontin when it came out and today find I can control what used to be chronic burning pain down the side of my face from my scalp to my upper teeth across my right eye with 600 mg of Neurontin taken before bed.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2009 4:41 AM

I've had pins and needles in both hands from a pinched nerve in my neck. Muscle relaxers, stretching, new pillow, heat, nothing was working. This works really well.

April 18, 2009 12:03 PM

Once my doctor prescribed this medication my pain was relieved within days. I have not had any problems since.

April 17, 2009 5:10 PM

400mg life saver for normal flare ups but not strong enough for bad attacks. Good when used in conjunction with Topamax

March 13, 2009 7:45 AM

Neurontin (gabapentin): Only taken this for a little over a week but the severe, intense pain is gone, and I'm really hoping it works for my migranes as well.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2008 11:25 PM