User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

"Extreme peripheral neuropathy in both legs from knee down. Without drug I have extreme burning sensation and muscle cramps in those areas. I had been on 60 mg. Methadone for about 20 years for joint and muscle pain. When I first took Gabapentin I got side effects of extreme nausea, headaches, and general around not feeling well so I stopped taking the Gabapentin. A new doctor insisted I stopped taking the Methadone pending an electric neural stimulator insertions to my spine. I detoxed from the Methadone at 5 mg. a week and after twelve weeks I was off it. When I started taking the Gabapentin it worked superbly, problems reduced about 90-95%. Shift to 40-50 mg. Percocet per day took care of joint/muscle pain about as well as Methadone."

Richard S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

"I just started taking gabapentin 300 mg 3 times a day... wow my legs feel no more pain...I can walk easy have more desire to do things...it's a miracle. ...I'm so happy to have found this medicine."

shannon3343 April 6, 2015

"At a lower dosage, this worked well for my husband's diabetic foot pain. A higher dosage switch caused him to lose 4 days of memory, during which he was confused, completely off balance, at times delusional, dizzy, as well as talked and walked and ate in his sleep. We will be discussing this with his GP. He went from a 300 mg to an 800 mg. "

Mike's wife (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2015

"I needed neck surgery in 2009. I had the surgery, but after a couple of months, I begin to hurt all over and was so stiff it took me hours to get my routine going. I had trouble at work with horrible pain. I finally found a doctor that would listen to me. He put me on 3600mg, and as long as I take it on time and stay on the schedule I am good to go. I am so glad because my job is in law enforcement and I have to be on my toes in the jail. This medication is a God sent. It's not a narcodic. I hope this note gives everyone a better quality of life,."

hcso February 3, 2015

"I have been taking 300mg of gabapentin 4 weeks ago for moderate neuropathy. My biggest problem was radiating intense pain from the little toe on my right foot. Within days, my pain was totally gone. However, I am constantly very sleepy. Hopefully that will subside over time."

Krazymj5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking gabapentin in significant doses (900mg/4xday). When it is time for me to take a dose my upper back and my arms will begin to tingle and become cold and my hands will begin to burn. If I wait my arms and back will become very cold and no amount of heat will help. Once I take my dose my symptoms will subside in 15 to 30 minutes. I take my gabapentin with a 5 mg tab of oxycodone which I take for a variety of serious pain and I think that the combination is much more effective for dealing with neuropathy. I have not found any studies that support my observation. I suffer no side effects from this medication."

pags (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2014

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on gabapentin right after back surgery on my L4 L5 S1 S2 lower lumbar spine. After 2 years from surgery I still remain on this medicine due to permanent nerve damage. This medicine managed to calm my nerves at night and get rid of the pain allowing me to fall asleep. I am on 200 mg a night but sometimes only need 100mg. It has been a lifesaver. I don't take this during the day due to the drowsiness side effect but it works wonderful. I do wake up extremely thirsty though."

Megstoo (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have systemic lupus, and was put on gabapentin for continued pain several weeks ago, despite control of my disease I have not felt this good in 5 years. Can actually sleep through the night, and wake up in no pain! Thank you gabapentin, I now actually feel I have hope to get back to a normal life."

J sandmom49 September 2, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Ex football player through NCAA and a little bit beyond. In my 40's after years of suffering I had a lumbar fusion followed 2 years later by cervical fusion..been on opiate pain relievers for 12 years. Of course many are familiar with what can happen with these medicines over a long period. Long story short, I am off the opiates, but still have my pain at age 56. Got Doc to prescribe Gabapentin. This is the first week and it's gotten rid of all the stiffness (I seize up muscularly with physical activity) and knocked out all but localized pain at the surgery sites. So I add Naproxen Sodium which also adds to the absorption of gabapentin. I'm functioning."

Roy s July 20, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After a L5-S1 microdiscectomy, the disc reherniated and I was eventually diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. A couple of weeks prior to a scheduled spinal fusion, I developed an extremely severe case of flu and then a couple of weeks after that came Guillain-Barre Syndrome (a rare autoimmune form of peripheral neuropathy). I have been on 3600mg/day of gabapentin for 18mos and have been told I can expect to be on it for the "foreseeable future". While I still have days where my neuropathy is worse than others, this medicine has played a huge part in my having a better quality of life than I thought was possible with these two major conditions."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Gabapentin for about two weeks now, starting at 300mg at night which knocked me out! I had been having terrible pain in hips and legs, and sciatic pain at night, and tingling/ numbness in hands in the morning. It made me sleepy the first week but now starting to get used to it. Still a little clumsy but getting better. Now increased dose to 300mg at bedtime and 300mg in the morning after breakfast. I feel so much better now. Side effects other than sleepiness are not apparent so I am much encouraged. Thank you Gabapentin!"

tryingabapentin (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2014

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered with lumber degenerative disc disease at L5, L4, L3, spinal instability and prolapsed discs at L5 and L4 since being first diagnosed officially in approx 2006 resulting in chronic low back pain and sciatica. I had a discetomy and laminectomy at L5 / L4 but the surgery failed 7 weeks out of surgery. I had nerve impingment at multiple levels including left, right and central prolapses (again) with slight neural compression along with narrowing of the neural foramina and lateral recess on both sides. In plain English = I could not not walk. After trying everything else, they put me on Gabapentin. I am now on 3600mg / day and I went from being unable to walk or stand to walking and being almost pain free after 1 week, Miracle!"

sturnell (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Before taking gabapentin I had difficulty walking and getting a good night's sleep. I would constantly get shooting pains up and down my legs, as well as both feet. In just a few days after beginning taking gabapentin, the majority of the shooting pain in the legs subsided. The pain in the feet is more tolerable as well. Just wonder how long this "miracle" medicine will continue working for me."

GlennJon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 28, 2014

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After six back related surgeries, I developed peripheral neuropathy. I was placed on Savella which helped some, but my neurologist decided to add Gralise as well. What had been absolutely terrible burning in both legs has been reduced with both of these medications. The Gralise was a helpful addition to the Savella. The question below regarding the insurance coverage; I had a blue cross plan which picked up about 40-50% then I recently purchased another blue cross plan which, at this moment in time, is not covering the Gralise, so my neurologist is trying to get them to authorize it."

Len's love March 20, 2014

"Helps with nerve pain in both legs."

degenerative spine (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2014

"I have Multiple Sclerosis and all that comes with it. After some years of easy going I suddenly found my feet would feel like they were on fire so I arranged an appointment with my Neurologist at the local MS clinic and was prescribed Gabapentin 5% in Lipoderm. This is a creamy compound the chemist has to make each refill order and it does take a couple days notice. Anyway, the very first time I applied the lotion to the feet the pain, which was so severe I would cry in agony, dissipated rapidly and was gone within 15 minutes. I use 1 ML twice a day to the feet and am pain free. I can not say it does anything to the numbness of the toes and bottom of feet but there is no pain to that so it is not a problem."

Baubee (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2014

"I have suffered with peripheral neuropathy in my neck spine for 3 plus years. Started with neck pain and 4 doctors who couldn't diagnose the problem. My 5th doctor who is now my family doctor, put me on 3600 mg of gabapentin a day and referred me to a neurosurgeon who found the problem in my neck, surgery was performed to correct the problem plus gabapentin (3600 mg a day), plus other medications I was taking prior to surgery as directed by my new family doctor. My point being, My symptoms of neck pain, arm pain, and leg pain were initially diagnosed as arthritis by 4 doctors. My family doctor and neurosurgeon in combination with gabapentin, the pain and suffering is now 90% reduced to a livable existence. I am 74 years old."

FD143 February 15, 2014

"I use Gabapentin to treat pain and burning (feet) caused by a small fiber neuropathy (confirmed by biopsy). I take a relatively small dose (1200 mg) at night when symptoms are worst. I usually get adequate relief, enough to sleep, on most nights. I try to take as few medicines as possible and as little as possible, even though a higher dose would probably provide more relief. I also get Qutenza treatments every 3 months."

Lynn M. February 11, 2014

"Pain relief is limited and barely noticed. I take 1800 mg a day and still need 6 Percocet per day to get enough relief to function. I've tried to stop the gabapentin and couldn't do it without withdrawals. I have forgotten to take medicines with me while out for a long day and also had withdrawal symptoms which include severe stomach pain and diarrhea. "

MTPockets427 February 5, 2014

"Hi, I have suffered from CFS/ME for about 25yrs. IBS-D started a short time after my viral infection. I am also on antidpressants, muscle relaxants and pain killers. I have been on loperimide, buscopan, and codiene phosphate with only temporary relief and my ibs-d could always override the drugs.My gut has become incredibly calm since taking 100mg of gaba in the morning and 100mg at night. I am eating, in limited amounts, food that I couldnt eat prevoiusly without severe diarrhoea. I was initially prescribed this drug for neuropathic pain and I am delighted to find it works for my gut too. I have read of other people with ibs improving since being on this med."

SteveEdin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2013

"I have been taking Gabapentin for 7 months while awaiting surgery for a laminectomy, nerve decompression, sacrum tear and impinged nerves L3-S1. While I still require Oxycodone for pain relief, Gabapentin relives 80% of my nerve pain. I can't tolerate Lyrica so we started on 900mg-1200mg in hospital due to severe dis-coordination. Regular dose is now 2400mg per day. Side effects are occasional lethargy, some forgetfulness and about 3kgs weight gain but I wouldn't be walking now without Gabapentin! If toleration is a problem, titrate up slowly because its so worth persisting with!"

egg22 October 5, 2013

"Gabapentin really helps pain in my arms, legs and feet. I have been on Gabapentin for 2 years on and off. Took ages to get used to tight band feeling round head, vision problems and weight gain. The worst side effect is constipation and bloating. Sometimes I feel as if I can't breathe because I'm so bloated. Trying to keep taking them so that I can sleep at night and walk without so much pain in my feet."

Toongirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2013

"I found out I have a pre-cancer which is damaging my nerves. I'm 37. I could barely walk do to pain in my legs. Mostly hips and knees. I also have intense shooting pains in my legs, wrists and sometimes back. I was having to take Vicodin. The Dr started me on 300mg 1/day and to increase by 300 mg every week for the next 3 weeks. When I first took it I got extremely ill with severe nausea, vertigo, dizziness. I stuck it out and every time I went up on the dose it would take 3 days to feel better. It paid off. It gave me a lot of life back. I stopped limping, I stopped having shooting pains. My numb areas got smaller. As a plus, I have dealt with migraines for 25 yrs and they're better. Also off Vicodin! Give it a month to really feel better!"

younginpain (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started gabapentin at 300 mg daily. Moving up an extra 300 mg every 3 days. Was extremely sleepy for over two weeks with little or no pain relief...until I started taking 2400 mgs, 600 mgs three times daily. At this dosage my pain level dropped significantly and the drowsiness side effect stopped. The pain had been so intense I'd been feeling suicidal...and even opiates were not controlling it. Now, with the 2400 mg daily dose of gabapentin my neuropathy pain is very well controlled and life is good again. I have experienced no side effects since the first few weeks of drowsiness. Don't let doctors tell you that if 900 mg daily doesn't relieve your pain...that the medicine won't work for you. 1800 mg to 3600 mg is a working dose."

rmckanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2013

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a 58 year old female. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 14 years ago but have suffered from symptoms much longer. I have also suffered from foot clumsiness since I was 13. Many ankle sprains and one broken ankle. The last two years I have been falling about once every two weeks. My feet have both felt numb and in pain at the same time. A neurologist checked the nerve transmission speeds to and from my feet. Thankfully he very tactfully said "Your feet don't FEEL normal but the ARE normal." So no true neuropathy. My fibromyalgia doctor then prescribed an increased dose of Neurontin. (Tripled my previous dose). Although I am sleepy, the results have been a startling improvement in the neuropathy."

Rocket Scientist (taken for 10 years or more) July 19, 2013