User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

"I have neuropathy from chemotherapy treatment . The neuropathy is so bad that I can barely walk. I started this medication about 3 weeks ago. At this time it has done nothing for me. I am taking 100 milligrams three times a day."

Anonymous April 23, 2016

"I've been in tremors pain for 2 years. My left foot felt like a million needles. I couldnt walk. Until I started taking gapentin. This is a miracle. Thank god my life is normal again."

James doc (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I have been taking 150 mg. of gabapentin once each weekend day before bed. I have noticed a diminution of the foot burning over the one month I have been taking it. My doctor suggested that I titrate its use over time and according to pain subsidence, It also helps me sleep better."

none that I want to tell anyon March 26, 2016

"Have bad periheral neuropathy in feet - with periods of intense burning pain and last few months pain/numbness was getting much worse, especially at night. Wasn't excited about using gabapentin because of all the possible side effects listed. Finally went to Doctor who prescribed 300 mg at bedtime, but instructed could do 600 mg if necessary. Took for first time last night, 300 mg didn't seem to make much of a difference in pain so after about an hour, took another 300 mg. I was very surprised this morning at how much the burning pain had subsided! Am feeling a little sluggish/mellow today, hopefully that won't be a lasting side effect after my body gets used to the drug."

JimWilson March 19, 2016

"I tapered up to 1200mg / day, starting in September of 2015. I have noted some stabilizing of My night restless leg syndrome and a near total absence of stabbing pains in the lower legs that would occur at intervals. I don't note adverse side effects; just happy my sciatic nerve pain has markedly decreased in the process. Some constipation noted at first, but that has resolved. I've had bladder incontinence for some time and that continues as I had no expectation of that being altered by neurontin. Life goes on and I'm functioning slower now, but still get out."

Andy1050 March 5, 2016

"Taking 1200 MG twice a day & still have a pain level of 7"

Slkchk513 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2016

"I have been on Neurontin for over ten years. I suffered nerve damage following a knee replacement. I have pain in the knee and pain that radiates down the leg into my foot. I take 600mg 5 times a day. I have bad days and not so bad days but the pain is NEVER gone. I could not live without this medicine as it at least curbs the pain. The only side effect I can speak of is sleepiness. But it is not bad and on a busy day I can rise above it."

Grama Audrey (taken for 10 years or more) February 21, 2016

"I couldn't imagine life without gabapentin its truly a life saver it helped with my neuropathy and reduced the pain by 90% lyrica and cymbalta didn't have a good affect on me as gabapentin did"

Herand (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

"Chronic back pain. Started years ago when I lifted weights in a gym that we're too heavy. Back has not been the same since. 6 yrs ago I fell down the stairs at home and fractured my Coyxx.."

TriciaW (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

"I have severe sciatica due to lower back degeneration. I also have what I believe to be lipedema, a fat metabolism disorder which causes severe leg pain. I was told that I had lymphedema and then vascular disease. My legs are symmetrically out of proportion with my upper body and chronically swollen. Very difficult. Anyway, I'm taking Percocet and I started pain management last week and the Dr wanted me to try gabapentin again, as I have used it before. I've had/have a clotting disorder blood clots. I can't take NSAIDs. I took it last night and this morning and I actually was able to walk down the stairs. Dr told me gabapentin is NOT for the pain as that is what I thought. It's for the inflammation"

Gingern February 4, 2016

"I have been taking Gabapentin since the 22nd November and am currently on 900mgs 4 x a day along with co-codamol (30mgs of codeine & 500mg paracetamol) for Neuropathic nerve pain and damaged nerves in my left ankle. At first it worked really well but its been almost 4 weeks now since I started taking it and the pain has returned both during the day and breakthrough pain at night. The pain is horrendous with shooting pain up and down my leg with a burning sensation especially at night! It is really making me fed up and is affecting my work - is there anything else out there that would be better to take and will work for this problem!!! Its driving me mad as I have to work and the pain can be just too much."

Not Amused December 18, 2015

"I've been on Neurontin for over 2 years now, 3200 mg daily / 800 mg four times daily. It is the only medication that effectively controls the idiopathic neuropathy in my feet. Lyrica was totally ineffective. I experienced serious "brain fog" fatigue and short-term memory problems when I started Neurontin but these side effects are now manageable. Neurontin has restored my quality of life to near normal."

Brian7333 December 17, 2015

"Gabapentin is great for nerve pain. I am a recent amputee due to a fracture that would not heal in my ankle. My surgeon prescribed it for phantom pain. It seemed to do the trick. I take 100mg bid, at breakfast and again at bedtime. I don't take any painkillers what so ever. Pretty good for an amputation that most people would think as being painful."

BobBk (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

"I have been taking 600mg two hours before bedtime for a few years now for burning feet at night. It usually works quite well. I have not had to increase my dosage and I have no side effects other than it makes me sleepy which is great at night."

Inthewoods2 November 26, 2015

"I'm taking 1800 mg a day for neuropathy from chemo (xoplatin). It doesn't work"

socalcoast2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

"I love gabapentin, I take 2, 300mg capsules 3 times a day. I have neuropathy, lupus, raynauds, and rheumatoid arthritis. It has helped me so much, I've been able to move around easier and it helps so much with my neutrality and ra pain."

7Susan November 2, 2015

"I have drop foot in both feet and horrible burning and tingling and electric shock waves with muscle cramps....I haven't been on this medicine very long ! Help?"

Anonymous September 9, 2015

"It reduced the nerve pain by 30 percent, but I had to take 1800mg a day to do it. The side effects seemed to increase the longer I was taking it. The main side effects I had were fatigue,weight gain, sexual disfunction, excesive hunger. After taking it for a few years I decided it wasn't worth it and used massage therapy instead that improved my circulation without the side effects and reduced the pain just as much or more."

techguy1046 September 7, 2015

"I've had hip surgery which had alot of damage on my nerves and now MS. The Dr wants me to try 100mg a day and I've just started 3 days ago so I'm not sure if it's really working yet. I am hoping it does but I do not think that 100mg 1x a day is going to do it. He wants me to try this dose for 2 weeks and see how it works out but I'm not to sure it is. Yesterday I had pain so bad in my legs and feet I couldn't even walk at all it's horrible especially when u have a 10 year old and an 11 month old u can not be down in bed not even for 10 mins during the day. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same dosage at first."

Lilmee (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"I take 800 mg TID, which seems to me a high dose. It's still a bit hit or miss on neuropathic pain coverage. When it works it's great! I know it works from comparison to the week- or month-long periods I've not taken it, when the pain is much worse. Still, it can't compare to other meds I've tried like Cymbalta which provide awesome pain control (downside to Cymbalta is insomnia tho). Narcotic pain meds work somewhat too, but mainly by changing my attitude towards the pain, not really lowering it, so they are a poor option for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

"Was prescribed Gabapentin for Neuropathy from Type 2 diabetes. Developed swelling of feet and ankles, but did not help the "numbness" of my feet and ankles. Praying for something that would help with the numbness without the swelling occurring!"

Hokies June 8, 2015

"Extreme peripheral neuropathy in both legs from knee down. Without drug I have extreme burning sensation and muscle cramps in those areas. I had been on 60 mg. Methadone for about 20 years for joint and muscle pain. When I first took Gabapentin I got side effects of extreme nausea, headaches, and general around not feeling well so I stopped taking the Gabapentin. A new doctor insisted I stopped taking the Methadone pending an electric neural stimulator insertions to my spine. I detoxed from the Methadone at 5 mg. a week and after twelve weeks I was off it. When I started taking the Gabapentin it worked superbly, problems reduced about 90-95%. Shift to 40-50 mg. Percocet per day took care of joint/muscle pain about as well as Methadone."

Richard S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

"I just started taking gabapentin 300 mg 3 times a day... wow my legs feel no more pain...I can walk easy have more desire to do things...it's a miracle. ...I'm so happy to have found this medicine."

shannon3343 April 6, 2015

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"At a lower dosage, this worked well for my husband's diabetic foot pain. A higher dosage switch caused him to lose 4 days of memory, during which he was confused, completely off balance, at times delusional, dizzy, as well as talked and walked and ate in his sleep. We will be discussing this with his GP. He went from a 300 mg to an 800 mg. "

Mike's wife (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2015

"I needed neck surgery in 2009. I had the surgery, but after a couple of months, I begin to hurt all over and was so stiff it took me hours to get my routine going. I had trouble at work with horrible pain. I finally found a doctor that would listen to me. He put me on 3600mg, and as long as I take it on time and stay on the schedule I am good to go. I am so glad because my job is in law enforcement and I have to be on my toes in the jail. This medication is a God sent. It's not a narcodic. I hope this note gives everyone a better quality of life,."

hcso February 3, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next