User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

Review by Megstoo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was put on gabapentin right after back surgery on my L4 L5 S1 S2 lower lumbar spine. After 2 years from surgery I still remain on this medicine due to permanent nerve damage. This medicine managed to calm my nerves at night and get rid of the pain allowing me to fall asleep. I am on 200 mg a night but sometimes only need 100mg. It has been a lifesaver. I don't take this during the day due to the drowsiness side effect but it works wonderful. I do wake up extremely thirsty though.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by J sandmom49:

I have systemic lupus, and was put on gabapentin for continued pain several weeks ago, despite control of my disease I have not felt this good in 5 years. Can actually sleep through the night, and wake up in no pain! Thank you gabapentin, I now actually feel I have hope to get back to a normal life.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 12:29 AM

Review by Roy s:

Ex football player through NCAA and a little bit beyond. In my 40's after years of suffering I had a lumbar fusion followed 2 years later by cervical fusion..been on opiate pain relievers for 12 years. Of course many are familiar with what can happen with these medicines over a long period. Long story short, I am off the opiates, but still have my pain at age 56. Got Doc to prescribe Gabapentin. This is the first week and it's gotten rid of all the stiffness (I seize up muscularly with physical activity) and knocked out all but localized pain at the surgery sites. So I add Naproxen Sodium which also adds to the absorption of gabapentin. I'm functioning.

July 20, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

After a L5-S1 microdiscectomy, the disc reherniated and I was eventually diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. A couple of weeks prior to a scheduled spinal fusion, I developed an extremely severe case of flu and then a couple of weeks after that came Guillain-Barre Syndrome (a rare autoimmune form of peripheral neuropathy). I have been on 3600mg/day of gabapentin for 18mos and have been told I can expect to be on it for the "foreseeable future". While I still have days where my neuropathy is worse than others, this medicine has played a huge part in my having a better quality of life than I thought was possible with these two major conditions.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by tryingabapentin (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking Gabapentin for about two weeks now, starting at 300mg at night which knocked me out! I had been having terrible pain in hips and legs, and sciatic pain at night, and tingling/ numbness in hands in the morning. It made me sleepy the first week but now starting to get used to it. Still a little clumsy but getting better. Now increased dose to 300mg at bedtime and 300mg in the morning after breakfast. I feel so much better now. Side effects other than sleepiness are not apparent so I am much encouraged. Thank you Gabapentin!

June 14, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by sturnell (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered with lumber degenerative disc disease at L5, L4, L3, spinal instability and prolapsed discs at L5 and L4 since being first diagnosed officially in approx 2006 resulting in chronic low back pain and sciatica. I had a discetomy and laminectomy at L5 / L4 but the surgery failed 7 weeks out of surgery. I had nerve impingment at multiple levels including left, right and central prolapses (again) with slight neural compression along with narrowing of the neural foramina and lateral recess on both sides. In plain English = I could not not walk. After trying everything else, they put me on Gabapentin. I am now on 3600mg / day and I went from being unable to walk or stand to walking and being almost pain free after 1 week, Miracle!

May 28, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by GlennJon (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Before taking gabapentin I had difficulty walking and getting a good night's sleep. I would constantly get shooting pains up and down my legs, as well as both feet. In just a few days after beginning taking gabapentin, the majority of the shooting pain in the legs subsided. The pain in the feet is more tolerable as well. Just wonder how long this "miracle" medicine will continue working for me.

March 28, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by Len's love:

After six back related surgeries, I developed peripheral neuropathy. I was placed on Savella which helped some, but my neurologist decided to add Gralise as well. What had been absolutely terrible burning in both legs has been reduced with both of these medications. The Gralise was a helpful addition to the Savella. The question below regarding the insurance coverage; I had a blue cross plan which picked up about 40-50% then I recently purchased another blue cross plan which, at this moment in time, is not covering the Gralise, so my neurologist is trying to get them to authorize it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 2:28 PM

Review by degenerative spine (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Helps with nerve pain in both legs.

March 15, 2014 8:35 PM

Review by Baubee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have Multiple Sclerosis and all that comes with it. After some years of easy going I suddenly found my feet would feel like they were on fire so I arranged an appointment with my Neurologist at the local MS clinic and was prescribed Gabapentin 5% in Lipoderm. This is a creamy compound the chemist has to make each refill order and it does take a couple days notice. Anyway, the very first time I applied the lotion to the feet the pain, which was so severe I would cry in agony, dissipated rapidly and was gone within 15 minutes. I use 1 ML twice a day to the feet and am pain free. I can not say it does anything to the numbness of the toes and bottom of feet but there is no pain to that so it is not a problem.

February 23, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by FD143:

I have suffered with peripheral neuropathy in my neck spine for 3 plus years. Started with neck pain and 4 doctors who couldn't diagnose the problem. My 5th doctor who is now my family doctor, put me on 3600 mg of gabapentin a day and referred me to a neurosurgeon who found the problem in my neck, surgery was performed to correct the problem plus gabapentin (3600 mg a day), plus other medications I was taking prior to surgery as directed by my new family doctor. My point being, My symptoms of neck pain, arm pain, and leg pain were initially diagnosed as arthritis by 4 doctors. My family doctor and neurosurgeon in combination with gabapentin, the pain and suffering is now 90% reduced to a livable existence. I am 74 years old.

February 15, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Lynn M.:

I use Gabapentin to treat pain and burning (feet) caused by a small fiber neuropathy (confirmed by biopsy). I take a relatively small dose (1200 mg) at night when symptoms are worst. I usually get adequate relief, enough to sleep, on most nights. I try to take as few medicines as possible and as little as possible, even though a higher dose would probably provide more relief. I also get Qutenza treatments every 3 months.

February 11, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by MTPockets427:

Pain relief is limited and barely noticed. I take 1800 mg a day and still need 6 Percocet per day to get enough relief to function. I've tried to stop the gabapentin and couldn't do it without withdrawals. I have forgotten to take medicines with me while out for a long day and also had withdrawal symptoms which include severe stomach pain and diarrhea.

February 5, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by SteveEdin (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Hi, I have suffered from CFS/ME for about 25yrs. IBS-D started a short time after my viral infection. I am also on antidpressants, muscle relaxants and pain killers. I have been on loperimide, buscopan, and codiene phosphate with only temporary relief and my ibs-d could always override the drugs.My gut has become incredibly calm since taking 100mg of gaba in the morning and 100mg at night. I am eating, in limited amounts, food that I couldnt eat prevoiusly without severe diarrhoea. I was initially prescribed this drug for neuropathic pain and I am delighted to find it works for my gut too. I have read of other people with ibs improving since being on this med.

October 27, 2013 3:08 PM

Review by egg22:

I have been taking Gabapentin for 7 months while awaiting surgery for a laminectomy, nerve decompression, sacrum tear and impinged nerves L3-S1. While I still require Oxycodone for pain relief, Gabapentin relives 80% of my nerve pain. I can't tolerate Lyrica so we started on 900mg-1200mg in hospital due to severe dis-coordination. Regular dose is now 2400mg per day. Side effects are occasional lethargy, some forgetfulness and about 3kgs weight gain but I wouldn't be walking now without Gabapentin! If toleration is a problem, titrate up slowly because its so worth persisting with!

October 5, 2013 11:54 AM

Review by Toongirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Gabapentin really helps pain in my arms, legs and feet. I have been on Gabapentin for 2 years on and off. Took ages to get used to tight band feeling round head, vision problems and weight gain. The worst side effect is constipation and bloating. Sometimes I feel as if I can't breathe because I'm so bloated. Trying to keep taking them so that I can sleep at night and walk without so much pain in my feet.

September 4, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by younginpain (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I found out I have a pre-cancer which is damaging my nerves. I'm 37. I could barely walk do to pain in my legs. Mostly hips and knees. I also have intense shooting pains in my legs, wrists and sometimes back. I was having to take Vicodin. The Dr started me on 300mg 1/day and to increase by 300 mg every week for the next 3 weeks. When I first took it I got extremely ill with severe nausea, vertigo, dizziness. I stuck it out and every time I went up on the dose it would take 3 days to feel better. It paid off. It gave me a lot of life back. I stopped limping, I stopped having shooting pains. My numb areas got smaller. As a plus, I have dealt with migraines for 25 yrs and they're better. Also off Vicodin! Give it a month to really feel better!

August 30, 2013 11:56 PM

Review by rmckanne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started gabapentin at 300 mg daily. Moving up an extra 300 mg every 3 days. Was extremely sleepy for over two weeks with little or no pain relief...until I started taking 2400 mgs, 600 mgs three times daily. At this dosage my pain level dropped significantly and the drowsiness side effect stopped. The pain had been so intense I'd been feeling suicidal...and even opiates were not controlling it. Now, with the 2400 mg daily dose of gabapentin my neuropathy pain is very well controlled and life is good again. I have experienced no side effects since the first few weeks of drowsiness. Don't let doctors tell you that if 900 mg daily doesn't relieve your pain...that the medicine won't work for you. 1800 mg to 3600 mg is a working dose.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by Rocket Scientist (taken for 10 years or more):

I am a 58 year old female. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 14 years ago but have suffered from symptoms much longer. I have also suffered from foot clumsiness since I was 13. Many ankle sprains and one broken ankle. The last two years I have been falling about once every two weeks. My feet have both felt numb and in pain at the same time. A neurologist checked the nerve transmission speeds to and from my feet. Thankfully he very tactfully said "Your feet don't FEEL normal but the ARE normal." So no true neuropathy. My fibromyalgia doctor then prescribed an increased dose of Neurontin. (Tripled my previous dose). Although I am sleepy, the results have been a startling improvement in the neuropathy.

July 19, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by PrinceMyshkin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For years I had itchy ankles. Maddening. Treatment by MDs, dermatologists and podiatrists was hydrocortisone ointment. Worked briefly. Then a year ago I started having symptoms of neuropathy in my feet. Neither podiatrist nor MD could fix it. Went to neurologist. An eye-opening meeting with use of tuning forks and the like. This man knew his job. Put me on gabapentin, 100mg X 3 daily. The foot and leg pain diminished and changed character. It's still there but I can live with it. But the years-long itching disappeared totally. I sent him a fax about that. Downside, have noted mood changes and had to apologize to wife for being a jerk. I am 82.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by Steve Hayes (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I'm 82. I have peripheral neuropathy. The doctors I've seen are surprised that I have this condition since I am not or ever have been diabetic, and I'm enormously fit for my age. I go to the gym for two hours of intensive workout six days a week. I also eat healthily. But there is no denying I have peripheral neuropathy, and taking Gabapentin has given me wonderful relief from pain and tingling in both feet. I'm grateful for this and would recommend the medicine to anyone. I take a light dosage (300mg) on days that the pain is severe; but often do not take any medicines for two to three days at a time. Thank you Gabapentin.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2013 1:12 AM

Review by peddie (taken for 1 to 2 years):

My leg pain was beyond #10. 2 days of 300mg 4 times a day I felt SUCH a relief from the pain. I told my Dr. it is a miracle. A few minor side effects like dizziness and weird feelings in the feet. BUT I would not want to live without gabapentin.

June 10, 2013 11:29 AM

Review by Wally52 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was diagnosed with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy 8 months ago. My neurologist first prescribed Cymbalta. It had no effect. He then prescribed Neurontin (initially 300mg). After 1 day I notice relief for the pain in my hands, arms, feet, and legs. I was also able to sleep through the night. I am presently taking 600 mg. After 2 weeks on Neurontin the pain is not gone but is 75% reduced.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was recovering from alcoholism and I couldn't sleep because of inexplicable pain in my legs. I may have been masking the pain by drinking before I decided to quit. In any event, the pain was driving me crazy and after 3 months I relapsed just so I could sleep. Finally my doctor prescribed Neurontin and the pain was gone. I slept soundly and now I haven't had drink in 5 years. So you could say Neurontin saved my life.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2012 8:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Started with 300mg at night with no significant improvement in symptoms. Second week 300mg night, 300mg day. The daytime dose knocked me out, feeling drowsy, dizzy and fuzzy thinking. Cut back the daytime dose to approximately 150mg - same results. On top of that the burning and tingling got worse. Doc had me stop all medicines. Glad that many get wonderful results, but not me. (By the way I'm not diabetic, no thyroid problems and no alcohol use).

July 18, 2012 9:31 AM