User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

"I have severe sciatica due to lower back degeneration. I also have what I believe to be lipedema, a fat metabolism disorder which causes severe leg pain. I was told that I had lymphedema and then vascular disease. My legs are symmetrically out of proportion with my upper body and chronically swollen. Very difficult. Anyway, I'm taking Percocet and I started pain management last week and the Dr wanted me to try gabapentin again, as I have used it before. I've had/have a clotting disorder blood clots. I can't take NSAIDs. I took it last night and this morning and I actually was able to walk down the stairs. Dr told me gabapentin is NOT for the pain as that is what I thought. It's for the inflammation"

Gingern February 4, 2016

"I have been taking Gabapentin since the 22nd November and am currently on 900mgs 4 x a day along with co-codamol (30mgs of codeine & 500mg paracetamol) for Neuropathic nerve pain and damaged nerves in my left ankle. At first it worked really well but its been almost 4 weeks now since I started taking it and the pain has returned both during the day and breakthrough pain at night. The pain is horrendous with shooting pain up and down my leg with a burning sensation especially at night! It is really making me fed up and is affecting my work - is there anything else out there that would be better to take and will work for this problem!!! Its driving me mad as I have to work and the pain can be just too much."

Not Amused December 18, 2015

"I've been on Neurontin for over 2 years now, 3200 mg daily / 800 mg four times daily. It is the only medication that effectively controls the idiopathic neuropathy in my feet. Lyrica was totally ineffective. I experienced serious "brain fog" fatigue and short-term memory problems when I started Neurontin but these side effects are now manageable. Neurontin has restored my quality of life to near normal."

Brian7333 December 17, 2015

"Gabapentin is great for nerve pain. I am a recent amputee due to a fracture that would not heal in my ankle. My surgeon prescribed it for phantom pain. It seemed to do the trick. I take 100mg bid, at breakfast and again at bedtime. I don't take any painkillers what so ever. Pretty good for an amputation that most people would think as being painful."

BobBk (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

"I have been taking 600mg two hours before bedtime for a few years now for burning feet at night. It usually works quite well. I have not had to increase my dosage and I have no side effects other than it makes me sleepy which is great at night."

Inthewoods2 November 26, 2015

"I'm taking 1800 mg a day for neuropathy from chemo (xoplatin). It doesn't work"

socalcoast2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

"I love gabapentin, I take 2, 300mg capsules 3 times a day. I have neuropathy, lupus, raynauds, and rheumatoid arthritis. It has helped me so much, I've been able to move around easier and it helps so much with my neutrality and ra pain."

7Susan November 2, 2015

"I have drop foot in both feet and horrible burning and tingling and electric shock waves with muscle cramps....I haven't been on this medicine very long ! Help?"

Anonymous September 9, 2015

"It reduced the nerve pain by 30 percent, but I had to take 1800mg a day to do it. The side effects seemed to increase the longer I was taking it. The main side effects I had were fatigue,weight gain, sexual disfunction, excesive hunger. After taking it for a few years I decided it wasn't worth it and used massage therapy instead that improved my circulation without the side effects and reduced the pain just as much or more."

techguy1046 September 7, 2015

"I've had hip surgery which had alot of damage on my nerves and now MS. The Dr wants me to try 100mg a day and I've just started 3 days ago so I'm not sure if it's really working yet. I am hoping it does but I do not think that 100mg 1x a day is going to do it. He wants me to try this dose for 2 weeks and see how it works out but I'm not to sure it is. Yesterday I had pain so bad in my legs and feet I couldn't even walk at all it's horrible especially when u have a 10 year old and an 11 month old u can not be down in bed not even for 10 mins during the day. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same dosage at first."

Lilmee (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"I take 800 mg TID, which seems to me a high dose. It's still a bit hit or miss on neuropathic pain coverage. When it works it's great! I know it works from comparison to the week- or month-long periods I've not taken it, when the pain is much worse. Still, it can't compare to other meds I've tried like Cymbalta which provide awesome pain control (downside to Cymbalta is insomnia tho). Narcotic pain meds work somewhat too, but mainly by changing my attitude towards the pain, not really lowering it, so they are a poor option for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

"Was prescribed Gabapentin for Neuropathy from Type 2 diabetes. Developed swelling of feet and ankles, but did not help the "numbness" of my feet and ankles. Praying for something that would help with the numbness without the swelling occurring!"

Hokies June 8, 2015

"Extreme peripheral neuropathy in both legs from knee down. Without drug I have extreme burning sensation and muscle cramps in those areas. I had been on 60 mg. Methadone for about 20 years for joint and muscle pain. When I first took Gabapentin I got side effects of extreme nausea, headaches, and general around not feeling well so I stopped taking the Gabapentin. A new doctor insisted I stopped taking the Methadone pending an electric neural stimulator insertions to my spine. I detoxed from the Methadone at 5 mg. a week and after twelve weeks I was off it. When I started taking the Gabapentin it worked superbly, problems reduced about 90-95%. Shift to 40-50 mg. Percocet per day took care of joint/muscle pain about as well as Methadone."

Richard S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

"I just started taking gabapentin 300 mg 3 times a day... wow my legs feel no more pain...I can walk easy have more desire to do things...it's a miracle. ...I'm so happy to have found this medicine."

shannon3343 April 6, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"At a lower dosage, this worked well for my husband's diabetic foot pain. A higher dosage switch caused him to lose 4 days of memory, during which he was confused, completely off balance, at times delusional, dizzy, as well as talked and walked and ate in his sleep. We will be discussing this with his GP. He went from a 300 mg to an 800 mg. "

Mike's wife (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2015

"I needed neck surgery in 2009. I had the surgery, but after a couple of months, I begin to hurt all over and was so stiff it took me hours to get my routine going. I had trouble at work with horrible pain. I finally found a doctor that would listen to me. He put me on 3600mg, and as long as I take it on time and stay on the schedule I am good to go. I am so glad because my job is in law enforcement and I have to be on my toes in the jail. This medication is a God sent. It's not a narcodic. I hope this note gives everyone a better quality of life,."

hcso February 3, 2015

"I have been taking 300mg of gabapentin 4 weeks ago for moderate neuropathy. My biggest problem was radiating intense pain from the little toe on my right foot. Within days, my pain was totally gone. However, I am constantly very sleepy. Hopefully that will subside over time."

Krazymj5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2014

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking gabapentin in significant doses (900mg/4xday). When it is time for me to take a dose my upper back and my arms will begin to tingle and become cold and my hands will begin to burn. If I wait my arms and back will become very cold and no amount of heat will help. Once I take my dose my symptoms will subside in 15 to 30 minutes. I take my gabapentin with a 5 mg tab of oxycodone which I take for a variety of serious pain and I think that the combination is much more effective for dealing with neuropathy. I have not found any studies that support my observation. I suffer no side effects from this medication."

pags (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2014

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on gabapentin right after back surgery on my L4 L5 S1 S2 lower lumbar spine. After 2 years from surgery I still remain on this medicine due to permanent nerve damage. This medicine managed to calm my nerves at night and get rid of the pain allowing me to fall asleep. I am on 200 mg a night but sometimes only need 100mg. It has been a lifesaver. I don't take this during the day due to the drowsiness side effect but it works wonderful. I do wake up extremely thirsty though."

Megstoo (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2014

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have systemic lupus, and was put on gabapentin for continued pain several weeks ago, despite control of my disease I have not felt this good in 5 years. Can actually sleep through the night, and wake up in no pain! Thank you gabapentin, I now actually feel I have hope to get back to a normal life."

J sandmom49 September 2, 2014

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Ex football player through NCAA and a little bit beyond. In my 40's after years of suffering I had a lumbar fusion followed 2 years later by cervical fusion..been on opiate pain relievers for 12 years. Of course many are familiar with what can happen with these medicines over a long period. Long story short, I am off the opiates, but still have my pain at age 56. Got Doc to prescribe Gabapentin. This is the first week and it's gotten rid of all the stiffness (I seize up muscularly with physical activity) and knocked out all but localized pain at the surgery sites. So I add Naproxen Sodium which also adds to the absorption of gabapentin. I'm functioning."

Roy s July 20, 2014

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After a L5-S1 microdiscectomy, the disc reherniated and I was eventually diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. A couple of weeks prior to a scheduled spinal fusion, I developed an extremely severe case of flu and then a couple of weeks after that came Guillain-Barre Syndrome (a rare autoimmune form of peripheral neuropathy). I have been on 3600mg/day of gabapentin for 18mos and have been told I can expect to be on it for the "foreseeable future". While I still have days where my neuropathy is worse than others, this medicine has played a huge part in my having a better quality of life than I thought was possible with these two major conditions."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Gabapentin for about two weeks now, starting at 300mg at night which knocked me out! I had been having terrible pain in hips and legs, and sciatic pain at night, and tingling/ numbness in hands in the morning. It made me sleepy the first week but now starting to get used to it. Still a little clumsy but getting better. Now increased dose to 300mg at bedtime and 300mg in the morning after breakfast. I feel so much better now. Side effects other than sleepiness are not apparent so I am much encouraged. Thank you Gabapentin!"

tryingabapentin (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2014

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered with lumber degenerative disc disease at L5, L4, L3, spinal instability and prolapsed discs at L5 and L4 since being first diagnosed officially in approx 2006 resulting in chronic low back pain and sciatica. I had a discetomy and laminectomy at L5 / L4 but the surgery failed 7 weeks out of surgery. I had nerve impingment at multiple levels including left, right and central prolapses (again) with slight neural compression along with narrowing of the neural foramina and lateral recess on both sides. In plain English = I could not not walk. After trying everything else, they put me on Gabapentin. I am now on 3600mg / day and I went from being unable to walk or stand to walking and being almost pain free after 1 week, Miracle!"

sturnell (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

"Before taking gabapentin I had difficulty walking and getting a good night's sleep. I would constantly get shooting pains up and down my legs, as well as both feet. In just a few days after beginning taking gabapentin, the majority of the shooting pain in the legs subsided. The pain in the feet is more tolerable as well. Just wonder how long this "miracle" medicine will continue working for me."

GlennJon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 28, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next