User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Migraine

Review by Vbeckford: User Rating:

gabapentin: I read the other comments and decided to try it. It was wonderful! I've been using Neurontin for nerve pain down my leg for 3 months. It's great to know it serves more than one purpose. Thanks everyone.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 9, 2014 4:12 PM
Review by 3 days in. 3 days headache free! (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: My neurologist put me on this after being on Topamax and propranolol for chronic migraines for 5 months. For the first time in 6 months, I haven't had a headache for 3 consecutive days and it's a miracle! Only thing is that I've been excessively thirsty and having some problems with my vision/dizziness, but she warned me that I would likely experience the dizziness. Such a change in my life.

March 5, 2014 11:17 PM
Review by HeatherADL: User Rating:

gabapentin: Did not work at all for the chronic pain it was perscribed for, but while I was taking it I stopped having the frequent migraines I was having. The one time I wasn't able to take it all day and got a migraine, taking my nighttime dose got rid of my migraine. My migraines are resistant to ALL over the counter medications, so I was very happy to finally find something that works!

November 20, 2013 10:23 AM
Review by Adverse Reaction To Gabapentin (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: An orthopedic specialist prescribed Gabapentin to relieve the pain associated with a muscluar/spine issue I'm working through. I have had migraines since I was 5-years-old and one dose of this medication brought on one of the worst migraines I've had in years. It also made me wide awake at bedtime, instead of sleepy, as well as dizzy and nauseous.

August 9, 2013 9:44 AM
Review by MiaLu (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: My 11 year old was prescribed Gabapentin for chronic headaches, but several days of this medication seemed to exacerbate his problem. He had many more headaches and rated them as very painful on this medication. We had to stop taking it after about a week because he had so many headaches.

July 31, 2013 10:57 AM
Review by Big43foot (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I hard diarrhea every time I tried to use it.

July 26, 2013 11:23 PM
Review by a miracle drug for me.: User Rating:

gabapentin: As a migraine sufferer since I was 13 yrs old. I am now 56 yrs old. I tried it all. Imitrex, Fiorinol, Maxalt, Fioricet, Relpax, Zomig, Treximet, Cafergot, you name it. Sometimes I ended up in the E.R for a shot of Toradol. Finally I saw a general practitioner. He put me on gabapentin, 400 mg 3x a day. What a miracle. I've been on it for over a year now and been TOTALLY headache free. Wish all my other doctors were up with this. Would have saved me a lot of suffering.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 29, 2013 10:03 PM
Review by Helenehrenhofer (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I have had chronic almost daily migraines for almost 25 years, have been to many neurologists, had many MRIs, and other tests and have tried many medicines. In last two years, I have had to take Vicodin, because nothing else worked. Well, my doctor prescribed three 100 mg of this pill, and after 1 pill, I woke up to no migraines. I was into a three week migraine. I have had no migraines now for two consecutive days. First time in years and years. This is a miracle pill. I feel a little groggy, like I have had 2 drinks, but I have only been on this for 2 days. I cannot believe the FDA won't allow this pill to be marketed for treatment of chronic migraines. This pill should also help with restless legs syndrome, back pain, and anxiety. Wow!!!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 26, 2013 7:23 PM
Review by scarlet1234&67: User Rating:

gabapentin: I started having having headaches everyday then boom migraine. I was on Topamax they kept upping it. I would wake up with a headache go to bed with one. Then I had a horrible migraine lasted 6 weeks, so they added gabapentin I currently take 1600 mg and 200 mg Topamax but the gabapentin saved me. I do experience side effects like word issues or mood.. but without it I couldn't go to the store even with sun glasses without throwing up. I had to leave my job of ten yrs. I am disabled and I have the side effects but I can go outside now and the pain is manageable.

March 16, 2013 11:57 PM
Review by HiThereMyExperience: User Rating:

gabapentin: In August 2012 my migraines suddenly got disabling! It was constant and horrible! I saw a neurologist in early Dec. and he ordered Gabapentin, starting at 1 pill and then increasing weekly up to 4 pills. It's mid January and I am still only taking 2 pills because I am always tired and a little nauseated. I need to increase it though because, as another reviewer said, it makes everything "muted" but not completely. I have had some migraines but nothing horrible like before. So for that reason - this medication is wonderful! But I have one side effect that I wonder if it is from gabapentin - I feel extremely mean and annoyed. It's very noticeable to my family. Has anyone else had this side effect?

January 18, 2013 10:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

gabapentin: When I first started taking this medication, the neurologist told me to just take it with each meal, that it didn't have to be exactly 8 hours between. Wrong! My migraines got worse and I couldn't stand it. I increased from 100 to 300 mg, every 8 hours (I set the alarm on my phone, even at night), and headaches are gone...for the most part. I was having migraines 4-5 days per week, and now they are minor intensity and only one every 1-2 weeks. I have been doing this for a few months now. This week I noticed my hair thinning, not sure if it is related.

September 18, 2012 10:37 PM
Review by cluelsscat (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I just started taking this medication as a preventive migraine treatment this month/August 2012. I am so impressed. I did have one migraine starting and what is usually a 10 on the pain scale was only about a 3-4, and all I did was take a Percocet 5mg for the pain, got a really hot shower to relax my muscles, took one of my Imitrex Nasal Sprays, laid down, went to sleep and it was totally gone when I woke up in a few hours. YAY! Another positive for Neurontin for me is that I get a lot of neck, shoulder, back pain and with this medicine I have not had to take additional pain pills (Vicodin, etc.) as everything feels 'muted' and very tolerable. Also, I have cut down from 10 mg to 5 mg on my Ambien and I am working to get off this.

August 22, 2012 9:41 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I have taken Neurontin for several years, I still get headaches but I find them much more manageable and when I do get one I take Imitrex/Excedrin. My main trigger is hard fragrances, now if I could just find a way to avoid that, I think that Neurontin would be all I need.

May 29, 2012 12:52 PM
Review by BadLeg (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Neurontin was prescribed for migraine. After taking 1 x 100mg capsule my migraine was gone within 8 hours. The downside was my lymphedema leg developed a cellulitis problem. The cellulitis was due to the allergic reaction to Neurontin.

April 27, 2012 7:26 PM
Review by Chaku007: User Rating:

gabapentin: I am taking gabapentin 1200 mg everyday. It makes me dizzy and I work slower then I used too. I also feel like I am losing my memory slowly too.

April 20, 2012 5:35 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

gabapentin: I'm doing this for my dad. While he was taking the prescription for severe headaches, suicidal thoughts were an acute onset and he ceased the medicine immediately.

March 22, 2012 6:43 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

gabapentin: I tried Imitrex, Fioricet, propanolol all to no avail and then my doctor prescribed me gabapentin 300mg a night. It helped with my sleep and more importantly helped with migraines. I haven't had a migraine for three months now and this medicine has helped me so much. Definitely worth it.

March 5, 2012 1:21 PM
Review by Charity J: User Rating:

gabapentin: I have tried everything to control my atypical migraines. My migraines are severe and mimic transient ischemic attacks. I was diagnosed at age 14 years old. I am now 28 years old and an ER nurse. I have to be able to function as my job is very demanding. I take a low dose of Topamax 25mg daily and when I get an aura I take Motrin 800mg and 300mg Neurontin. In about 30mins I am able to function again. I love this.

March 5, 2012 12:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

gabapentin: I was starting to go into Migraine Transformation (getting migraine pain almost every day). Starting this medicine shot this down really quick. Now I'm getting about one a week. I'll be increasing the dosage soon (right now I take 300 mg a day). If you get chronic migraines, this may be your answer. I think it's mine.

January 12, 2012 10:38 AM
Review by ElleK: User Rating:

gabapentin: I have suffered with constant daily headaches and frequent debilitating migraines for the past couple of years. In the beginning the only relief I could get was to go to the ER for IV medications. It was to the point where I was either constantly in bed in pain, or at the ER. Finally I was referred to a neurologist who started me on Zonisamide. That helped at first, but then the headaches became constant again. Also, I was losing too much weight on the zonisamide (I was already underweight and had trouble gaining). Finally, my neurologist switched me to gabapentin, and it has helped a lot. I still get some headaches, but they aren't as often or as severe. Side effect was some loss of balance and forgetfulness. And I'm finally gaining weight!

October 25, 2011 9:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

gabapentin: I began taking 300mg of Gabapentin before bed every night and stopped when my migraines began to subside (as recommended by my doctor). However, they came back and I began 300mg before bed and 600mg in the morning. The medication helps tremendously. The only downside is that it makes me feel drunk, spacey and tired. I don't feel "all the way there" and lost sometimes. Which isn't great at work. But it sure beats almost daily migraines.

August 24, 2011 11:59 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

gabapentin: Just started this at 300mg at bedtime a few days ago, but after two days it stopped what had been a blinding 3-day headache. The migraine is still there but currently with no pain (this undoubtedly sounds stupid to non-migraineurs, but many with migraines will know what I mean.) I am wondering if anyone has experienced good results with this medicine but then had it suddenly stop working. This has happened to me with so many medications, including some like Verapamil that should NOT build tolerance.

July 25, 2011 4:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Suffered from migraines my whole life but the last 6-8 months they have been everyday, all day. I have tried so many medicines with no relief and recently my Doctor put me on Neurontin. This medicine works. I am on a low dose of 600 mg at night before bed and my days have been so much better. I still get some headaches, but not nearly the bad migraines I was getting. The doctor is going to increase my dose slowly until she gets me on the dose that works the best for me. But as for now, I am slowly getting my life back.

June 7, 2011 9:46 PM
Review by SaMoLuV: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I have been on Neurontin now for 10 days. My pain management doctor put me on it for pain as well as for my migraines. The dosage he has me on is 1 tablet 3xs daily. The tablet is 300mg. I have experienced mood changes. I seem more agitated than I normally am. Hopefully I get better at that. I always feel drowsy after taking it. I haven't had a migraine yet but we shall see if I do anyways. It will be hard to tell since every 6 months I go and do radio frequency on the back of my neck. That is where they burn my never endings to help my migraines. So I hope all my pain goes away and I do not experience any freakish side effects. I wish everyone the best in taking this medicine and I hope all of us will stay pain free.

May 20, 2011 1:22 AM
Review by Starvista888: User Rating:

gabapentin: I was having migraine headaches twice per week then gradually it became every day for 3 months. Midrin was no longer working. I was incapacitated. Yesterday, I was prescribed gabapentin 300mg twice per day. First day it took 1 1/2 hours to kick in then I fell asleep. When I woke 6 hours later I felt drunk and my coordination and walking ability were impaired as if drunk. I worried about falling. Yet for the first time in 3 months, my migraine was present but at a level "4" verses a pain level of constant "10". An unexpected additional gain was that it helped my unresolved back pain of the neuropathic (burning) variety. I highly rate it except for side effects of in-coordination, slightly blurred vision and word finding problems.

May 10, 2011 2:50 PM