User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Migraine

"I had been taking topomax and Botox injections. They helped initially, the Botox helps within one week, sometimes two. I got injections ev'y 3 mths. Quit working after awhile. Now on gabapentin. Seems to be helping somewhat on higher dose but weight gain is horrible! I do not have increased appetite nor eat more either. Not sure what to do about it. Can't keep increasing weight."

Charleyrules May 9, 2015

"I take 1800 mg for the last three months. I have suffered aquired brain injury from viral encephalitis. One of my main problems is ice pick headaches and ringing in both ears. While I have been taking this medication my neurologist recommend that I also receive Botox injections. Also with no help, next injections take place in two weeks. I was informed that the first time of injections do not expect to much."

Oromocto April 13, 2015

"My Neuro put me on Gabapentin 300m every night, and I went from chronic migraines 3-5 a mth, to only 1-2 a month. If I take my Sumatriptan as soon as I feel a migraine coming on (along with ice bag rotating on my head) it goes away within an hour or two. Miracle medications! They have saved my life!"

DallasGrl77 February 6, 2015

"I have been taking this for 2 months now. The first month I still had several horrible headaches. This second month I have yet to have one. Which is fantastic for me. I am having a slight problem keeping my emotions down. I seem to be very sad and lack energy. I am hoping that this will level out with time, because it works fantastic on my headaches."

tDanielleb January 15, 2015

"Suffered from headaches for 4 months as I tried Topamax which did not work, and with horrible side effects. Been on Neurontin for 10 days, 300 Mgs 3xday. Headaches are virtually GONE. Kidneys functioning better now that I'm off of Topamax. Increased appetite and slightly blurry vision are manageable side effects. My life is back. So far, the headache suffering is OVER. 4 months of hellish headaches ended in one week."

Cavs Fan (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2015

"I was taking Topamax 200 mg every day for my monthly migraines and it was working well until I went to my eye doctor and he checked the pressure in my eyes. I had a high pressure in my left eye so my doctor put me on gabapentin. I take 200 mg every day and its been great. Even when I do get a migraine its very muted and very tolerable. Great medicine!"

Anonymous January 2, 2015

"I started having headaches, pressure, and a hangover like feeling in the mornings about a year ago. In early December 2014 I was diagnosed with migraines which were causing my issues. My neurologist put me on 300mg of gabapentin and I felt great from 12/5-12/20. I started getting the morning hangover feeling again on 12/21. My neurologist is now upping the dosage, hope it gets me back to that point/place."

ToddL (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2014

"I broke my arm and severely messed my back up in a car accident. I have had sciatic pain for 2 year. With Percocet, gabapentin and Zanaflex I am able to function correctly."

tjl70 October 20, 2014

"Gabapentin not only helped with migraines, shortening their intensity, duration and also my recovery time afterward, but it also helped with spasticity, my duration and quality of sleep, muscle stiffness and pain and some cognition. I take it for issues surrounding traumatic brain injury and have had no negative side effects, but several positive ones."

azgenereaux (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2014

"I have migraines since I was 12, I went to different doctors, exams, medicine etc; I was in pain 5 or 6 days in a row till I used gabapentin. This medicine changed my entire life. Now I have a headaches once a month it's incredible. The consequences I'm happy all of the time and I spent more time with my little boys."

Th. vaz-san (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have experienced crippling pain that left me hungover. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and the migraines have stopped, so have the leg cramps."

Not Hurting (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2014

"Great medicine--I tried tons of other treatments and was down to my last option, I was at 300 MG and it started to work with few side effects besides increased appetite and a little more tired at first-a lifesaver!"

Sindell (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2014

"I read the other comments and decided to try it. It was wonderful! I've been using Neurontin for nerve pain down my leg for 3 months. It's great to know it serves more than one purpose. Thanks everyone."

Vbeckford March 9, 2014

"My neurologist put me on this after being on Topamax and propranolol for chronic migraines for 5 months. For the first time in 6 months, I haven't had a headache for 3 consecutive days and it's a miracle! Only thing is that I've been excessively thirsty and having some problems with my vision/dizziness, but she warned me that I would likely experience the dizziness. Such a change in my life."

3 days in. 3 days headache free! (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2014

"Did not work at all for the chronic pain it was perscribed for, but while I was taking it I stopped having the frequent migraines I was having. The one time I wasn't able to take it all day and got a migraine, taking my nighttime dose got rid of my migraine. My migraines are resistant to ALL over the counter medications, so I was very happy to finally find something that works!"

HeatherADL November 20, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"An orthopedic specialist prescribed Gabapentin to relieve the pain associated with a muscluar/spine issue I'm working through. I have had migraines since I was 5-years-old and one dose of this medication brought on one of the worst migraines I've had in years. It also made me wide awake at bedtime, instead of sleepy, as well as dizzy and nauseous."

Adverse Reaction To Gabapentin (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2013

"My 11 year old was prescribed Gabapentin for chronic headaches, but several days of this medication seemed to exacerbate his problem. He had many more headaches and rated them as very painful on this medication. We had to stop taking it after about a week because he had so many headaches."

MiaLu (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2013

"I hard diarrhea every time I tried to use it."

Big43foot (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2013

"As a migraine sufferer since I was 13 yrs old. I am now 56 yrs old. I tried it all. Imitrex, Fiorinol, Maxalt, Fioricet, Relpax, Zomig, Treximet, Cafergot, you name it. Sometimes I ended up in the E.R for a shot of Toradol. Finally I saw a general practitioner. He put me on gabapentin, 400 mg 3x a day. What a miracle. I've been on it for over a year now and been TOTALLY headache free. Wish all my other doctors were up with this. Would have saved me a lot of suffering."

a miracle drug for me. June 29, 2013

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had chronic almost daily migraines for almost 25 years, have been to many neurologists, had many MRIs, and other tests and have tried many medicines. In last two years, I have had to take Vicodin, because nothing else worked. Well, my doctor prescribed three 100 mg of this pill, and after 1 pill, I woke up to no migraines. I was into a three week migraine. I have had no migraines now for two consecutive days. First time in years and years. This is a miracle pill. I feel a little groggy, like I have had 2 drinks, but I have only been on this for 2 days. I cannot believe the FDA won't allow this pill to be marketed for treatment of chronic migraines. This pill should also help with restless legs syndrome, back pain, and anxiety. Wow!!!"

Helenehrenhofer (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2013

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started having having headaches everyday then boom migraine. I was on Topamax they kept upping it. I would wake up with a headache go to bed with one. Then I had a horrible migraine lasted 6 weeks, so they added gabapentin I currently take 1600 mg and 200 mg Topamax but the gabapentin saved me. I do experience side effects like word issues or mood.. but without it I couldn't go to the store even with sun glasses without throwing up. I had to leave my job of ten yrs. I am disabled and I have the side effects but I can go outside now and the pain is manageable. "

scarlet1234&67 March 16, 2013

"In August 2012 my migraines suddenly got disabling! It was constant and horrible! I saw a neurologist in early Dec. and he ordered Gabapentin, starting at 1 pill and then increasing weekly up to 4 pills. It's mid January and I am still only taking 2 pills because I am always tired and a little nauseated. I need to increase it though because, as another reviewer said, it makes everything "muted" but not completely. I have had some migraines but nothing horrible like before. So for that reason - this medication is wonderful! But I have one side effect that I wonder if it is from gabapentin - I feel extremely mean and annoyed. It's very noticeable to my family. Has anyone else had this side effect?"

HiThereMyExperience January 18, 2013

"When I first started taking this medication, the neurologist told me to just take it with each meal, that it didn't have to be exactly 8 hours between. Wrong! My migraines got worse and I couldn't stand it. I increased from 100 to 300 mg, every 8 hours (I set the alarm on my phone, even at night), and headaches are gone...for the most part. I was having migraines 4-5 days per week, and now they are minor intensity and only one every 1-2 weeks. I have been doing this for a few months now. This week I noticed my hair thinning, not sure if it is related."

Anonymous September 18, 2012

"I just started taking this medication as a preventive migraine treatment this month/August 2012. I am so impressed. I did have one migraine starting and what is usually a 10 on the pain scale was only about a 3-4, and all I did was take a Percocet 5mg for the pain, got a really hot shower to relax my muscles, took one of my Imitrex Nasal Sprays, laid down, went to sleep and it was totally gone when I woke up in a few hours. YAY! Another positive for Neurontin for me is that I get a lot of neck, shoulder, back pain and with this medicine I have not had to take additional pain pills (Vicodin, etc.) as everything feels 'muted' and very tolerable. Also, I have cut down from 10 mg to 5 mg on my Ambien and I am working to get off this."

cluelsscat (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin): "I have taken Neurontin for several years, I still get headaches but I find them much more manageable and when I do get one I take Imitrex/Excedrin. My main trigger is hard fragrances, now if I could just find a way to avoid that, I think that Neurontin would be all I need."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2012