User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Fibromyalgia

Review by Deep pains:

Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at the start of the year having suffered with severe neck and upper back pain. The deep pain especially in the upper back right in between the shoulder blades was unbearable most of the time. I had the symptoms for over 2 years before the diagnosis and had almost 80 sessions of treatment with 11 different therapists. Anyway started taking duloxetine, gabapentin and Cocodamol in January. Started gabapentin at 300 mg a day and built up to 1800mg a day by the end of March. Over the last few weeks I feel that I am starting to get my life back. Not totally pain free but I now have spells where the pain is bearable. So if you have just started on this, be patient and fingers crossed you will get relief.

May 26, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by Bedazzelle:

I am a 43 year old and I have had so much tenderness and pain with fibromyalgia, and to tell the truth I don't like to take medication.. but I was is such terrible pain I decided to go on GABAPENTIN under my doctors care. I am in awe. I feel so much better, especially in the morning. I also swim and get light massages to manage the pain. I can actually move my neck without agony! My doctor started me out on a higher dose than normal because of the pain. I take 3 of the 400 mg capsules daily. I have only been on them a few days but I can feel a BIG DIFFERENCE! I actually have energy and my mind not as " foggy" as before. I hope and pray this medication continues to give me fantastic results with few side effects.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by Cecelia Ideally (taken for less than 1 month):

I was diagnosed in 2009 after over a decade of chronic aches and pains that couldn't be described by any physicians. After countless bloodtests, MRIs, CAT scans, and the like, I finally found a Neuro that decided to try Gabapentin. I've been on it now, low dose, for about a week. Placebo effect or otherwise, I DO feel better. My normal daily functions seem easier, the pain has almost entirely subsided to a 'dull' ache, my headaches have dwindled to almost nothing, and my energy has increased; which I can only attribute to actually sleeping through the night for more than four days. I will be gradually increasing my dosage over the next four weeks to see if I get even better. I'm ecstatic that I found this physician and Gabapentin!

March 14, 2014 1:39 PM

Review by Rimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After being diagnosed four years ago and several different meds I went to a rheumatologist and he put me on gabapentin. I started out with 300mg at night for one week. Over the course of 4 weeks it slowly increased to 600mg 3 times daily. The first 23 hours I notice a difference. By the time I reached 600 mg 3 times daily I felt like a totally different person with my pain level going from a 10 most days to anywhere from 1-5. Well, the last 2 weeks my pain level has went up to 10 and no lower then a 5. I hope when I go back to the doctor. He will adjust the dosage and get it working again. Being almost pain free was awesome!

November 27, 2013 12:19 AM

Review by CarmenLatte:

Have very recently started taking gabapentin after spending over half my life in chronic crippling pain. Years of stretching, chiropractors, physical therapy, heavy pain medications, cortisone injections, along with bi-lateral foot surgery, bi-lateral TMJ surgery, and reaching the point of wishing I was dead due to pain being unbearable a new GP from a small clinic was the first to say the word Fibromyalgia. Within a few days I noticed that I was able to return to daily activities again like laundry, cooking, and playing with my kids and the family pets. My mood and outlook on life has dramatically improved. Still occasional aches but nothing like before, and only occasional Lortab for extreme days. Gabapentin gave me back my life.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2013 11:33 AM

Review by SmurfetteRocker:

I have tried just about everything to manage my Fibromyalgia pain and taking Percocet 24/7 was the only thing keeping me functional. Doctor put me on Gabapentin in an effort to wean me off the Percocet. So far it's working and I'm taking much less of the Percocet. I have 400mg/3x day for typical days and she prescribed 600 mg for my bad days. However, the 600 mg makes me feel very spacey and unable to focus, slightly headachey. It does help with the pain though. The pain is not gone completely but I can function. Best I can hope for I guess.

November 8, 2013 1:01 PM

Review by Zoey&Chloe'sMom (taken for 10 years or more):

Neurontin has helped me be able to live a more normal life by cutting my pain levels significantly and allowing me to require less pain meds.

October 22, 2013 2:37 PM

Review by Legobo:

For the past 5 years I have suffered with fibromyalgia, I wake 4 or 5 times a night and generally feel like I have had flu all that time. I started on gabapentin 100mg 3 x daily for 4 weeks and did feel I had a bit more energy, my GP then put me up to 300mg x 3 daily and it has made a massive difference. For the first time in years I get a good night sleep and don't feel like I have been hit by a bus when I wake.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2013 5:32 AM

Review by Annielon (taken for less than 1 month):

I have Fibromtalgia which was diagnosed recently after many, many visits to GP who told me it was a fancy name for depression and took me off dihydrocodeine and gave me 5mg codeine. After many months of pain I changed my doctor who prescribed much stronger painkillers and gabapentin. I immediately felt better with a little pain but nothing compared to what it was. So far, fingers crossed, no side effects except feeling very tired and a little 'spaced' out. Recommend this to anyone.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by Tisza (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2006 and have been on a very, very low dosage of Gabapentin 300mg at bedtime ever since. My Fibromyalgia is manageable and I have no side effects from the medicine. I lead a very busy life. I am an Executive Assistant in a fast-paced organization, and a very involved grandmother to 3. Rarely, I will have a flare that is triggered by extreme stress and I will have a day in bed, but most days I am putting in 12 hr days at work. And weekends I am busy with family, so I feel Gabapentin saved my life! It was a miracle from the first few weeks of taking it.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was in a really bad flare for months, fearing that new level of pain and intensity was becoming my body's norm. I'm grateful I was able to get in touch with a doctor that recommended Gabapentin and Flexeril. Been taking both, more of the Gabapentin for just over a week. My dosage will be increased, but as of now I'm taking 300mg of Gabapentin 4 to 5 times a day. I really notice the biggest relief after the first hour, then it seems to taper off. I feel like there is hope again with the relief I've experienced on this medication. I will be asking on my next visit about the dosage or difference in how it releases into the body, so that my pain stays at the lower levels. If you haven't tried this medicine, I'd highly recommend to do so.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2013 5:58 PM

Review by Marebear1002 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have severe fibromyalgia, severe Crohn's Disease and other conditions associated with these. I've taken pain medicines and Lyrica with little help. I was put on 600 mg of Gabapentin and the results were fantastic. Helped my Crohn's and arthritis also. Very happy.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by Lo22:

Gabapentin has saved my life. I am able to function now. Dealing with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia for the past 20 years has been a challenge, not to mention the pain. I felt like I was a guinea pig, trying all the medicines out there and being allergic to most of them while the others didn't come close to working. But with the gabapentin, I was so tired but after a while that went away. I wanted to up the dosage but my doctor did it very slowly. Even though I am not 100% pain free at this time, I can function and be happy. I will always have this medicine with me so I will never miss a dose.

May 8, 2013 11:18 PM

Review by Tilly62:

Only started a week ago for sciatic pain and back pain, the pain eased from severe to moderate - but the pain in my feet supposedly from firbomyalgia has all but disappeared. As I also have side effects from most tablets starting slowly, first 5 days 1 x 100mg, now on 2 x 100mg. Feel nauseous, very tired and occasional giddy bout but hoping that this disappears over next couple of weeks. Will try 3 tablets after 2 weeks and see how this goes. Tiredness is my main problem at the moment.

April 29, 2013 11:27 AM

First time in 15 years I am without pain!

April 28, 2013 5:28 PM

Review by Morgan Comfort:

Gralise (gabapentin): After decades on pain meds, they are working less and less. In addition to fibromylgia I have bulging and herniated discs, neuropathy, and (controlled) epilepsy. I have learned to live with constant pain. My Doc suggested Gralise (gabapentin) and said that he felt confident I would see good results. I am AMAZED. I saw immediate improvement in my ability to walk and move around. I am experiencing considerably less pain. I am concerned because my insurance will not cover the brand (which is time released) that I am taking and it is expensive, but I remain optimistic and I will try the 3 times a day dosages. I have not felt this good in many years.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 10:15 PM

Review by TxLindy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

My pain is gone. I consider this a miracle. Before taking this medication I was in so much pain that life was almost unbearable. I was always so tired from little sleep. I sleep normally now and am pain free. I haven't experienced any side effects.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by nina72:

I have been on Neurontin for fibromyalgia pain, and sciatica nerve pain for several months. I can truly say it is a miracle for me. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, and when I do, I feel like I have been hit by a truck. When I take my Neurontin,(600mg 3 x a day) I feel so much better. I have energy to get things done, and it makes the stiffness I feel in my muscles relax more to ease the pain. I have gained a little weight on this medicine, but when the warmer weather hits, I am going to try and get outside and get some exercise. It helps with my high anxiety levels as well, and my psych doc told me that this is a wonderful medicine for anxiety and depression as well. I consider it my miracle pill.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 1:06 PM

Review by Shae M:

I have been taking 100mg at night for four days. Yesterday I tapered up too another 100mg in the morning. I just want to say from the first night, I have slept better than ever. I wake up feeling rested (not completely but hey) and just generally feeling better, less achy. Even my mood.

March 14, 2013 1:44 PM

Review by MacIntosh12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gabapentin kept twitching muscles and nerves at bay. I found the side effects to be very annoying. I had cognitive issues, while on Gabapentin, such as, hunting for the correct word from my varying and large vocabulary. I also experienced memory (short term) problems. Now that I've tapered down to 300mgs 3 times daily, my memory has improved, and my vocabulary is coming back. I recommend this medication, yet, if you find yourself entering a room in your home and not knowing exactly why you are there, forgetting why you went there in the first place, blame it on the medication. You are not losing your mind, nor are you suffering from early onset dementia!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2012 11:02 AM

Review by Rushn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Side effect of cluster headaches. Gets worse if I don't stick to every 8 hrs dosage. I'm frustrated because one neurologist and my pop are treating me for nerve damage, but another neurologist says my pain is muscular. He can't explain why I have tingling in my arms and legs. I was considering tapering off the gabapentin 3x 300 mg) based on the 2nd neorolgist, but the pain is unbearable.

October 2, 2012 10:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have diabetic neuropathy and fibromyalgia. I could barely walk when I started taking this medicine 4 years ago. The first two weeks were difficult as I felt like I was "high" but that wore off. I am now up to max dose 1200mg 3x per day. If I miss a dose the pain is INTENSE. I try not to ever do that. It makes me a bit chatty so we've affectionately nicknamed it "gabby".

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2012 2:45 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have fibromyalgia and severe arthritis. This medicine is the only thing I have taken that relieves some of the pain and makes life tolerable. I take 300mg, three times a day and will be increasing to six times daily shortly. The drowsiness side effect is somewhat bothersome but doable. My main complaint about it is that I have what I call drifting thoughts and they are very abstract thoughts. I have learned to somewhat manage them but am worried that they will increase with the increased dosage as will the drowsiness.

July 10, 2012 2:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Very good response with pain and stiffness. Added to fibro-fog. This has been very well tolerated with nothing more than a little itching when ready for next dose. A little sleepy late afternoon, I have sensitivities to MANY medicines with weird side effects. I have had nothing but good experience with gabapentin! I would recommend this.

June 28, 2012 1:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I took this medicine yesterday for the very first time and wow! The sharp, shooting pains disappeared! I felt some joint tightness in my neck still but that was nothing, compared to the pain I was in before I took it...Within a couple hours I had an enormous amount of energy! I hope it continues to work this way...

June 7, 2012 9:18 AM