User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"My Doctor just prescribed this to me today, 300 mg once a day for 2 days, and then 2 a day for 2 days, and then 3 a day thereafter. He said it would make me really tired, as I am also on methadone. But I took the one before I was gonna go to bed, and I cannot sleep at all. I am so anxious and on edge right now.. This medication is definitely not for me...I took it a couple hours ago and I'm thinking about making myself puke because its time release so maybe it's not all in me yet? That is how bad this anxiety is. And since I'm on methadone, I no longer am prescribed Valium. So this really sucks as I don't have anything to take this edge off."

Jhuhv February 5, 2016

"Anxiety symptoms have worsened as I've titrated from 300 mg to 600 mg a day. Not the right drug for me, I fear."

hnella January 23, 2016

"I was started on Garbapentin for a herniated cervical disc. At first I was put on 900 mg, which wasn't really helping so my doctor bumped me up to 1800 mg a day. I've always been somewhat depressed and anxious... I got a side effect I did not bargain for. Not only did it help my pain, but my mood has been the best it has in years! I feel happy!!! Calmer. I can tell as soon as I miss a dose because my mood changes. I Hope my doctor lets me take this once my pain is gone. Usually side effects suck, this medication is not only a pain med but a happy pill."

Candi0207 January 20, 2016

"I'm 67 and have had an horrific experience with a dental implant process..its been almost a two year ordeal and still ongoing.. I began having really bad anxiety and depression...this was also aided by the death of my mother and 3 cousins I was close to. In any case, it got worse and worse..my doctor doesn't believe in diazapam etc which I think it's a personal thing with her. So I'm changing doctors but can't get in till February. A friend had a big bottle of Gabapentin after his dog died and told me it had a sedative effect. I hadn't slept more that 1-2 hours a night in months. I took a 300 mg of Gabapentin at night for 4 nights, since then I have slept through the night!!! This was HUGE for me..I've only taken it for 4 days... And it's like a miracle"

Mckatt January 9, 2016

"I have been on gabapentin for two weeks now. I'm on 300mg three times a day. It took about a few days for it to start working. But I have to say that this med works! If I do not take it or if I'm getting close to my next dose. I start to feel depressed. I love taking this. It really does help for headache pain, and mood. I got this for depression. Because i do suffer from depression and anxiety a lot. It seems to help with the depression but not anxiety. If anything it makes me more happier. More calmer and more relaxed. I have gotten dependent on this drug for my mood. It doesn't make me sleepy at all. My body has gotten use to taking it. I don't see myself getting off of this. I enjoy being relaxed and feeling calm."

Nyomi Mckenzie December 27, 2015

"I am 40 years old. I have dealt with social anxiety since my teen years. I have been on Wellbutrin XR 150 mg twice daily for several months, which has given me energy, improved mood, and increase sex drive. I started gabapentin a couple weeks ago for pain relief related to a slipped disc impinging nerves in my back, sciatica. I am taking 600 mg tthree times a day. I am amazed!! Social anxiety is gone! First time in my life. I have actually been chatty and social without breaking into a sweat from nerves. Also haven't reached for my when required Ativan at all since starting gabapentin. I couldn't be happier about this accidental discovery. Life changing. Also note that I am a recovering alcoholic. Maybe defective gaba has been the culprit?"

Jenny-;) December 22, 2015

"I am a recovering drug addict suffering from severe anxiety. My drug of choice was benzos so clearly I cannot be prescribed those (or any other narcotics). While I was in rehab I was prescribed gabapentin, 300 mg pill three times a day. I was convinced that it wouldn't work because it was a non narcotic but this drug has helped me so much, I feel like I have complete control over my anxiety. However when I miss A dose or two in a day I do have withdrawal symptoms.. as long as I take it as prescribed I feel amazing with almost no side effects."

jessicaitod December 15, 2015

"I have degenerative disc disease, sciatica, fibromyalgia, a bulging disc and chronic back pain. I have been on gabapentin for almost 3 years now. I also suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and bipolar 1. This medication is a miracle. I feel better in all aspects. It helps with everything. I'm prescribed 600 mg 3 times per day. I use to be on 900 mg 3 times per day. Was too much. I'm in a much better mood my back feels ten times better and my fibro doesn't flare up as much. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers with these conditions."

Roxydesilvera December 12, 2015

"Was prescribed this med years ago for anxiety. I take 300 mg three times per day. morning, noon, and night.The doctor is about to up the dose a bit because I've been on the same dose for so long, and sometimes I get extra anxious or can't sleep so asked if I could have the option to take an extra when I need it. This medication is amazing... I can't say enough about it to be honest. It has helped me so much live my life without that constant nagging anxiety, social awkwardness, and it helps regulate my moods as well !"

Lizzo December 5, 2015

"Ok, Gabapentin worked fine for me for anxiety. But I was un aware of the ridiculous side effects it comes with. I was 160lb male, which I was happy with. Unexpectedly I kept gaining weight that I was un aware of. From 160lbs, now I'm 245lbs!!! That's 85lbs I gained within just 8 months!! I tried to stop taking it for just 1 day, and I went into SEVERE withdrawal. It felt worse than both opiate and benzo withdrawal!! Stay away from this drug!"

Klonazepam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2015

"Gabapentin is a miracle worker. While I was suffering with depression and severe anxiety, I was against taking any type of medications to help me however things were starting to get out control. I am very happy with how things are now. My mood swings are finally under control and I am to think clearer than ever before."

Fitnurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2015

"I have GAD stemming from PTSD due to trauma in my past. I've been taking all sorts of medication for it for years, including Klonopin which I did not realize was habit forming until after I started taking it. Then, last year, I switched doctors, and she refuses to prescribe benzos, especially since I had a problem with alcohol abuse. Last month, she prescribed me Neurontin and I thought it wouldn't work, so I put off getting the script filled. But then it got to the point where I couldn't live with the anxiety so I went and got the script filled just to give it a shot and I'm so amazed at the difference it makes. I do not feel anxiety at all anymore and even though it makes me kind of foggy, I can still function. I love this med."

OleYelir (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

"Gabapentin alleviated my intense anxiety I was suffering 24/7 from peri-menopause. Before being prescribed Gabapentin, I was an emotional wreck. It has also stabilized my moods."

Madbeach (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2015

"Gabapentin has been a miracle drug for me! I first started it 3 years ago for restless leg syndrome (which felt like painful electric shocks deep inside my legs.) It worked perfectly. I took 300 mg an hour before bed. About a year ago, I started having hot flashes (I'm 52) Instead of HRT, my doctor increased my dose to 600 mg a day, in divided doses, and my hot flashes are much better. Then, 6 months ago, I became the target of a bully in the workplace and my anxiety soared! I found it nearly impossible to concentrate and it was increasingly difficult to function at all! After increasing my dose to 600 mg three times a day, I am able to breeze through my work day and I'm no longer intimidated by the bully! "

Sophiedevil October 14, 2015

"I started taking Gabapentin three months ago for bulging disc and nerve pain. I'm currently on 300mg a day. This dosage helps about 90% of the time for pain. But I've always suffered from social anxiety. I noticed after taking Gabapentin for maybe a month or so that my crazy, continuous worries were going away. Now three months in, I feel so bubbly and chatty, and not afraid to talk to people, and I'm not afraid to take part in social activities that used to terrify me. I was reading about Gabapentin online, and when I found out that it's sometime prescribed for anxiety, it hit me: Wow. Since I've been taking this, I've been feeling so much better. This drug is amazing. I feel like now I'm the person I was always supposed to be."

MRT821 October 4, 2015

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Help needed. I took one gabapentin was fine when I took 2nd one about 2 and a half hours later I was feeling weird I only take 1 x 100mg per day. Just need to know if this was a reaction to it."

michelle962 September 29, 2015

"Where do I begin. My whole life I have had severe anxiety. Later down the road came despression and a mood disorder. My anxiety controlled me. I would have panic attacks more than once a day, terrified to leave my house, scared to talk to friends/family, scared to go to work and anything else you can think of. I've tried, since I was 15; I'm now 22, Xanax,Lorazapam,Clonazapam and Valium to the point where I wouldnt know how many I was taking a day. NOTHING helped!! I had a different doctor see me and her first choice was Gabapentin 300mg, 1 capsule 3 times a day. And thats where the miracle began! My life was changed. Im getting goose bumps now looking back on how much relief I felt and still feel! The world was different. Please try it! (:"

RachelRae93 September 24, 2015

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"15 years old, severe anxiety. My Dr. prescribed this medication for me to take on occasion when I needed it. It worked beautifully, and I could go to dances and loud bars and restaurants again. Although it did not removed my anxiety completely, it did get rid of at least 90%, and that was enough to get me through these situations. However, very recently I have noticed that it has stopped working and instead gives me horrible dizziness and lets my anxiety roam free. I do take another medication for anxiety as well as another for depression. Anyhow, my gabapentin has been fought off by my body and I am going to have to switch meds again (I was on another medicine that I became immune to 4 months ago and have to switch then). Sigh."

n00b_of_belleair (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2015

"I'm 31 and have severe anxiety and problems with my heart racing dangerously fast for no apparent reason. I take a beta-blocker which slows my heart rate, but I still felt really anxious and panicky all the time! I'm also on methadone so my Dr. Would not prescribe me any benzos for my anxiety for fear I would get addicted to them! She tried every kind of antidepressant but none really worked. Just. A few months ago she prescribed me 1x300mg 3x a day of gabapentin, and now my anxiety is completely under control I, feel like I have a new lease on life ,and feel much more comfortable in my own skin."

Ray420 September 17, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've suffered from bi polar and depression for years . I was on lexapro for over a decade and cymbalta for a bit. Weaned myself off of everything and tried natural stuff like holy basil and lithium oratate. The natural stuff mildly helped but I still had crazy mood swings. For many of my earlier years I battled with alcohol and did about any drug to alleviate and forget a childhood with and alcoholic father and crazy mother. One day at work my neck was out the pain unbearable co worker gave me a few lyrica pills. It eased the pain but after taking them for 2 days I realized I felt balanced and calm for the first time in years. I told my Dr and he prescribed gabapentin. My son suffered for yrs. If only I been on it sooner he'd had a happier life."

Killin me smalls September 12, 2015

"In 2013 I had 16 E.R visits, 11 EKG's and 4 times the paramedics came to get me. This was all due to panic disorder/attacks. This started as a child due to abuse but by the time I turned 9 the panic attacks had subsided, but eventually showed back up when I turned about 27 out of no where. I took SEVERAL other meds but this one has helped me greatly! I would like to say that if you are dealing with severe anxiety check to see if you have an iron deficiency also check for heavy metals and toxins. I was severely anemic and had a build of heavy metals. Once I detoxed my body and changed my diet my panic attacks and depression went away! I no longer have to take this med."

detox queen August 28, 2015

"I have to agree with so many people who have given positive reviews for gabapentin. I take 300 mg four times daily, and I am living in peace and can live comfortably in my skin for the first time in my life. I am much more productive, happy, and things just roll off my back that usually would cause me great anger or disruption. I noticed that I sleep better too. What I like is that this medication does not drug me up the way so many other medicines that I've tried for anxiety have done. I also take it for severe lower back pain, and it helps a great deal as well. I recommend this to anybody who is thinking of trying it."

Greatful Gal (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been hiv positive for 3 years when I asked my doctor if my hiv meds were actually giving me side effects of anxiety and panic attacks. I am taking truvada and isentress and although I am very happy with my meds, I really noticed that When I started the hiv meds, I become very anxious and paranoid of negative things happening in my daily life. I talked to my doctor and so he prescribed me a very low dosage of 100 milligrams 4 capsules a day of Gabapentin. I immediately noticed the effects within the first week. I am no longer paranoid, worrysome and anxious all the time. I'm very happy my doctor prescribed me this medicine. :)"

Nolongeranxious August 12, 2015

"48 Year old, slipped disc last year in bed 14 weeks, managed to avoid surgery with spinal steroid injection (it worked!). Back to the point, was prescribed 3 x 300mg 4 times a day. Always had mood problems, always thought it was simply my genetics and just got on with it (as you do), never had the guts to see the doctor but my mood drastically improved after taking the gabapentin. My back is better now but after a chat with the doc he's kept me on 3x300mg/day. If I forget to take them its back to being miserable. Taking them is the difference between day and night and works almost instantly like a switch. I'm in awe of them, thank you whoever made them."

MartinMclaren August 11, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since I was 19 really bad I wss on every benzodiazepine know to man now I take 800 mg gaba a day for long time my panic disorder is really bad but im telling you the gaba will help god bless people with panic disorder I know how it feels Susan"

panic city August 10, 2015