User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I am prescribed 600mg 3x a day.. It most definitely helps with my moods, back pain, and I think helps me relax and sleep. But I also take ambient,and clonazepam also at night.I am also an addict,but I do not abuse these 3 meds. I had a problem with pain killers and xanax.which now I take subutek to help with the cravings for these 2 meds. And I will say if you take them like your prescribed then they Will help you. But of course you need a sponsor and go to meetings."

Danielle33179 July 9, 2015

"I am a 70 yr old woman & have had anxiety & depression my whole life. This medication has changed my life. I took it initially for shingles but noticed immediately that my anxiety was gone so I phoned my psychiatrist (I am bipolar) & asked to be put on it. He agreed no problem. I take 300 mg 3 times a day. I hope this helps others with anxiety & depression. I am like a new woman!"

Patcher July 6, 2015

"Following surgery for prostate cancer, and 3 months later possibility of duodenal cancer ( biopsy tested negative) however surgery recommended; I was having severe anxiety & panic attacks. This lasted 3 1/2 years, during which I tried numerous SSRI's & SNRI's all with no effect. In fact it made it worse, e.g. Suicidal ideation, greater bouts of anxiety, headaches, diarrhea. Ativan did help significantly, but all the negativity started to raise my anxiety just taking it. I finally jut took it despite all this negativity. Thankfully, my p Doc continued my prescription and I was able to live a better quality of life. I then was asked to try an "off label" Medication ... Gabapentin. After 2weeks it did wonders!! Highly recommend!!"

Johnny Joe July 3, 2015

"I have significant anxiety and depression due to PTSD associated with my son being critically ill. I have not been able to live my life for over a year. Fear and panic and sadness has made me a shell of the woman, mom, and wife I once was. I also have reoccurring shingles. I have tried numerous anti anxiety medications with little relief. The gabapentin was prescribed to help with my neuropathic pain (which it has helped significantly), the wonderful side effect has been that my anxiety is almost nonexistant and I am able to live my active life again. I take up to 300 mg up to 3 times a day. I have been taking it more like 200 mg morning and afternoon."

SheHasJoy July 3, 2015

"I am about to start this tomorrow. i found this page and am thinking how rare it is to see so much positive feedback compared to other things i've researched. I hope it helps me. the ssri's have always made things worse and i gave up long ago. Only reason I am trying this is b/c nothing will control my blood pressure and the cardiologist thinks the roots are in anxiety/panic. Ten years of my life have been limited and like a prison. I see encouragement here. I have tried to avoid any medication, but I am getting older now and have to give it another shot. I finally found a dr that seemed to understand and not treat me like a nut case. Generally, going to any dr's office is an ordeal for me and in full blown panic"

Roe B June 30, 2015

"I've been trough a lot of trauma, lost my family, just had a baby and now looking forward to a Euro-trip. This drug is a life-saver, after trying a lot. Makes me feel good, lot less anxiety and safe to take it while taking care of my daughter. You found the right one! ;-)"

Kisfust June 20, 2015

"I suffer from panic attacks that have been occurring for the last four years, the had me on a medication regiment of Xanax, two mgs four times a day and Clonazepam 1mg two times a day, and I in turn became dependant on those. So for the last month I tapered myself off of the Xanax and Clonazepam and was subsequently put on Gapapentin and I have to say I've never felt better. This medication has been the only thing that has helped as much as the better than Benzo's. I must say this medication really is a miracle anxiety drug. Nothing has EVER worked like this and I shoud add I've tryed over 30 medications to stop my severe anxiety, I hope this helps at least one person."

Wikid June 18, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Gabapentin for about 2 years. I had severe anxiety and tried Amitriptyline and Citalopram without success. I take 3 x 300mg Gabapentin a day and my anxiety has certainly decreased quite significantly. I still have the occasional 'black cloud' day, but I can honestly say these tablets have definately tsken the edge off it. I sleep better, have not gained weight and do not feel like a zombie. For me, Gabapentin has been a good alternative to usual antidepressants."

Jane68 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2015

"I have been on gabapentin about 2 yrs. I take it with Wellbutrin, since Wellbutrin by itself, just causes too much anxiety for me. It is wonderful, helps the anxiety, and moods, relaxes and calms me, yet doesn't make me real tired. I take 300mg x 3, which is 900 mg a day, and it is perfect, if I need an extra one, I take it, since my script is for 4 a day, and I only take 3. Good stuff. Oh, also, it helps with some of my muscle pain as well. Another thing I've noticed, it decreases my appetite, and I lose weight, my weight stays stable."

cvoor May 11, 2015

"Gabapentin 200mg. definitely helps my anxiety. I know because I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back..I don't have panic attacks but a low level fear of the future, dread, etc..Gabapentin helps a lot."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I'm 52 years old and felt my life was meaningless, and extremely hard facing everyday routines and now I'm sitting in the garage and feel like I could sit here all day. This is my second day and I feel the best I have in 30 years. Before I couldn't sit here without my mind racing a million times a second and getting up and feeling anxious. I took the day off from work not knowing what my anxiety was going to do, but look forward to going to work tomorrow. So far life is good and I hope this is the miracle drug I've been longing for."

Minnesota Vet (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Neurontin for a month now. This medicine was given to me for chronic neck pain from an injury 30 years ago. I did not mention to the neurologist that I suffered from severe anxiety and panic disorder, I was taking at least 1 dose of Xnax daily for daily panic attacks. Since starting on neurontin I have only had to take Xanax 1 time, I am not in chronic pain any longer. This medication has changed my life in so many ways. My husband told me in tears that he has his wife back. My work has completely changed around, I love my job again, I love life again, and I am pain free!!!!!!"

No more Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Please don't take this medication. I have anxiety and fibromyalgia and I am prescribed 800 MG three times a day. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I ran out of Neurontin 5 days ago. The withdrawal has been terrible. I know, Neurontin "doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms" but it does, and I've read all over the internet that I am not alone. I have quit opiate pain killers cold turkey and over came a severe cocaine addiction in my youth, these things are child's play compared to not having Neurontin. I was sweating, shivering, constipated, and the anxiety made me consider checking into a psych ward and asking them to throw away the key, I cried for hours, I can't express how horrific it was and I read it can last a year!"

Firesqurl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2015

"I have been on this medicine for a month. I can't believe how much better I feel. My body is not sore anymore. My shouldes were almost frozen. Now I have total usage of them. It's a miracle drug for me"

Cindy Marie April 9, 2015

"I started taking gabapentin in treatment as a mood stabilizer. It was extremely effective at first! However, after about a year, it started making me feel dizzy, disoriented and lightheaded at only 600 mg, so I started to use it for sleep. Now, I take 300 mg paired with my Adderall XR twice a day, and 600 mg at night."

cjoy79 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2015

"I love my gabapentin I currently take 800mgs 4 daily I've been taking them for around 4 years... my whole family suffers from anxiety and my mother was the first to take it who recommended me to tell my doc because antidepressant just didn't work for me. So I asked and I'm glad I did.. I watched my whole family also abuse xanax and I refused to go down that road. So I'm perfectly happy with it"

B.ANN April 2, 2015

"I have been on gabapentin going on almost a year, I have had anxiety all my life, but even more after I became a heroin, and cocaine user. I started taking Neurontin in prison, and these pills have helped me so much, and now I take 1200 in the morning, and 1200 in the evening, and I'm the happiest girl on earth and I've been clean, they help for real, I'm happy to clean, and cook, and spend time with my son. It's non narcotic, and a blessing."

Eva Chavez March 29, 2015

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been dealing with anxiety my entire adult life (I'm 29). Finally, after a long period of unemployment, I was able to get insurance, and began seeing a psychiatrist. Despite complaining about panic attacks, he prescribed Wellbutrin (buproprion) for my depression (which I'm realizing is more likely ADHD-PI, so the doc was at least half right in prescribing the bupropion.). This greatly exacerbated my anxiety, to the point I was having more panic attacks in a week than I was previously having in a month. With gabapentin 3x100mg daily, as needed, that's no longer the case. My quality of life is much improved."

SoFoRill (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2015

"Never though of reviewing a med, I do this just for Gabapentin being so great. I've tryed a lot before: Zoloft, Remeron, all types of benzos. I've kept a very bad opinion on them all, especially SSRi's - damn soul and sex killers. Benzos get addictive in the long run. But Gabapentin works like a charm, literally. Takes the edgyness of the days away, most inhibitions and anxiety, gives me the drive to do things and enjoy what i'm doing, I got faithful and... happy (after I almost forgot how it can be constantly felt). FInal note: if taken not too often (like once a week) it can be quite recreational in doses around 1200 mg. I usually take about 600-900 daily, but cut off some times to get the higher reward days later, as tolerance drops."

SoulSeeker (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"I am 25 years old and I have suffered from social anxiety for my whole life. To cope with anxiety I became addicted to opiates. I am now in rehab and my doctor has changed my meds many times. I have been on gabapentin for almost a month I don't feel any changes yet. She says it may take up to a month for this medicine to start working. I am on 300 mg three times a day A long with other antidepressants and Suboxone to treat my opiate addiction. I wish I could get on Xanax because it is the only thing that helps with my anxiety, but because I am an addict my doctor will not prescribe me any medications that I may become addicted to or I should say that give me a high sort of feeling. The only difference is I feel like a zombie."

Candy0415 February 19, 2015

"I am 43. I started taking Gabapentin for neuropathy in my feet, 500mg a day. It really took the tingly pain away. When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year, I stopped it, since I was on so many painkillers I didn't think I needed it. Then I began to experience severe anxiety and hopelessness, racing negative thoughts, I didn't know what to do. I had heard that Gabapentin helped with anxiety, so I went back on it, and it is INCREDIBLE! at 600mg a day, I feel calm, chatty, and able to live in the moment. I'm a little clumsy, but I am SO grateful that Gabapentin has this mood stabilizing effect on me, and it worked the first day back on it. Now I can just live my life without anxiety, and I can take less narcotics now too, yet feel even better!"

Ignatz (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2015

"Have tried every antidepressant on the planet, not working for anxiety. My doc gave me gabapenton 300mg twice a day, no help. I tried by mistake (long story) 600mg at once and it works! I discovered it works for about 6 hours, so now I take 600mg twice a day. That gets me through the day. I pray it keeps working."

ScottM99 February 10, 2015

"Very good medicine. Taking 200 to 300mg daily for anxiety, racing thoughts, poor sleep etc. Have been on lamotrigine and risperidone for supposed BPD for years. Everything they can't get rid of, gabapentin does. Never realized there was still so much room for improvement! One other thing. For me, MSG or any free glutamate sets off severe anxiety and migraines. Some of you may have similar problem, so think about your diet too. For me gabapentin provides fast relief from a 'meal mistake'. Benzodiazepines worked pretty well for me, but now that I have this, bye bye. I used to use alcohol more than I should, but now don't feel the need too."

headcase2 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Just took first dose. Haven't felt this good in a long time. Been on many medications."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2015

"I have been on Neurontin for 3 months now for anxiety. I started at 100 mg 3x a day and now at 600 mg 3x a day and very happy with that dose. I very rarely have to take my Vistaril. Before taking this my anxiety got so severe that I actually feared planes crashing on top of me every time I heard one go by. I only experienced mild sedation when I started it and it is gone now. No other side effects. It may not work for everyone, but I would definitely recommend giving it a try to anyone who's doctor recommends it!"

Kk283 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2015