User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

Review by jeevgill (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was taking Lamictal and Klonopin for a long time and doing very well on it. In 2010 I had to have a lumbar disk replacement from an old hockey injury in college. Sadly I got hooked on pain pills and when I finally stopped I was spending about 5k to 6k a month on pills which indicates how much I was taking. Since about Xmas of 2013 I have been going through a period of Major Depression and Severe anxiety. I just kept getting worse and worse and the Klonopin/Lamictal stopped working. I had a prescription of Gabapentin sitting in my drawer that I had been prescribed but stopped using because it was making me dizzy. I decided to try it our of desperation and all I can say is wow. My anxiety has gone from a 10 to a 2 and no side effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by hightsman:

I have generalized anxiety disorder and have been on SSRI's and Benzodiazepines. The SSRI's made me manic. Zoloft, Buspar, Paxil...etc. I have been in 2 treatment programs and the hospital for harmful thoughts over the last 5 years. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and seemed to work real well. Then a follow up doc took me off and said I had to take an antidepresseant and Xanax to help me sleep. Huge mistake. Well I went back on the Gabapentin then off again because I thought it was causing a problem but it was really the Xanax. Now, I have been put back on it 300mg 3x a day. I also take a low dose of Remeron and trazodone to help me sleep. I think it is a good medication for anxiety and I hope this time I get good results like I did the first time I was on it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by Blessed_to_be_here (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have never in my 30 years of living been so happy & alive thanks to the gabapentin and lithium my psychiatrist put me on almost 3 months ago. Going back to my inpatient stay in March- I was suicidal because I didn't think there was any other way out of the pain and burden of being anxious 24/7. It paralyzed me. I felt helpless. Now, I go to the gym, play with my son more, preform better at work, and all my relationships are much better. I can actually think to communicate. Also, I don't go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds anymore. I'm like "I got this. Just breathe" I can't even make myself anxious anymore. I've tried. I am on 3000mg a day of Gabapentin (5-600mg pills a day) and 600mg of Lithium (2-300mg pills a day). True Happiness!

June 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by mcb70 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was originally prescribed Gabapentin for internal nerve damage due to extensive colon cancer surgery. It has been about 75% effective in relieving this pain. To my surprise, it has also helped in other ways I was never expecting. I have a pretty laid back personality (I thought) but after taking Gabapentin for pain relief, I began noticing a calming effect overtake me - just relaxed. I used to get lots of negative thoughts come to my mind which I would fight off but now I don't even go there! My husband has really noticed a difference in my upbeat attitude towards life and after a year of radiation, chemo, surgery etc... it is a wonderful surprise to him also! As a side note - I am also sleeping great and wake up refreshed.

May 29, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by JMWJ:

I have had periodic depression for years, and general anxiety problems as well, lately they had been getting worse. I cannot tolerate the SSRI anti-depressants, can't even tell any effect when I take Buspar, was taking Clonazepam when things got really bad. I went back to see a Dr. I have great respect for, had another QEEG, he said I have a "fast brain" (Gross CNS hyperarousal). Started me on 300 mg Gabapentin at bedtime. Noticed a calming, mellowing effect the first day. Before I could not stop my mind from racing, from obsessing, and would get almost paralyzed to do anything. I feel so much better, my mind is calm, depression is lifted, and no side effects other than a very, very slight fogginess. So far, for me - amazing.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Ashley M (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When my doctor first prescribed gabapentin, normally a seizure medicine, for my anxiety, I was a little confused. She explained to me that if you look at 2 brain scans, one patient with seizures, and one with anxiety, the damage in their brain is very similar. Within a week, I was able to feel a dramatic difference with my anxiety. Within a month, I truly felt "normal" again. I LOVE what this medication does for me, and it's made a huge impact on my daily life. I take one 300mg tablet in the morning, and two at night, and I have a very mild twitch that it's also helped to relieve as an extra plus.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by ThisIsPatrick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took Gabapentin for the usual depression/anxiety combination. It helped my anxiety SO much and I was a new person on it. The only reason I had to go off of it was because I have Interstitial Cystitis and the Gabapentin acted as a bladder irritant to my condition. Other than it worsened my interstitial cystitis, this medication was pretty flawless.

April 19, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by Peppasmum (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety/depression, after trying amitryptylline and citalopram, both of which did not work. My dose was 300mg Gabapentin 3x a day, however, this dose was causing me to have really achey joints so I stopped taking the evening one and now have one when I get up, and one at lunchtime. I can really feel the effects of the morning one, as, an hour after taking it I feel a little light headed and drunk, but very focused and determined. I am also sleeping better as my head isn't full of worries when I go to sleep like it used to be. Gabapentin does not make you feel sluggish and zombie-like like other meds, in fact I find them to be the opposite - I get loads done in a day which also helps me sleep.

April 10, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by Nickname:

Best anti-anxiety medicine yet.

April 10, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by sliceman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gabapentin has been a life saver for me. I have suffered from dysthemia and anxiety for my entire 47 years of existence. I've been on every medicine they could toss at me over the years but nothing helped with my symptoms. Then I had back surgery for a discotomy on L5 on my spine. I had severe leg pain and the sciatica pain was very intense. The doctor prescribed gabapentin for residual nerve pain in my left foot. Without gabapentin my foot feels like its on fire but I also discovered how different I was beginning to feel with my depression and anxiety....I felt alive for the first time in decades. I kid you not, it is a wonderful and my doctor has been recording my progress on it with my depression and anxiety. Great medicine.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by Ah1105:

I was on gabapentin when I was younger around age 16 to 18 and I remembered it must had worked pretty well because I stayed on for a little while. So fast forward almost ten years and I started seeing doctor again due to social anxiety and asked if I could try gabapentin. I started low 100mg at night which actually did help me sleep and felt calming effect but I did notice a little twitchy, but all in all it was ok the problem was the next day my anxiety seemed a lot worse I even tried couple more nights and same thing always happened. I'd have physical effect of anxiety, pounding heart, etc. I am also on methadone so I don't know if this why this medication made me have such bad anxiety next day but everyone is different.

March 13, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffer from generalzed anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and panic disorder. I have been on Neurontin for about three months. At first I was on 300mg/day, and now am on 600mg/day. My doctor wants to ultimately get me up to 900mg/day. This medicine works great. It keeps me on a calm and even keel, plus eliminates some of my physical anxiety symptoms. The only side effect I experienced was some slight clumsiness at first, which disappeared after a few days. I also take Tenormin and Prozac.

March 10, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by glittereyes (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started Gabapentin 300mg Feb 28th and am titrating down of off Lexapro. It started making my anxiety go through the roof. I am also on Buspar, Lamictal and Zoloft. I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and am in recovery x5 years from Alcoholism. Without medication my life is unmanageable. So far I feel great, not sure if its because I am lowering my Lexapro and will be off this Friday. Or if it's the Gabapentin. I am hoping this works.

March 4, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by cold837:

I have had panic attacks since I was four, I am 33 now. I was an alcoholic four 10 years cause I was on a high dose of Xanax and I got hooked then my doctor put me on Klonopin because it is a longer lasting medicine. I then got put on gabapentin 400mg three times a day and it has been a blessing. It helped me get rid of Klonopin and now I am panic attack free.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Phyllis in FL (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 47 with such an exhausting history of anxiety that had led me to self medicate with alcohol, until finally finding the correct medical doctor. Doctors in the past have been writing me scrips that have been making me crazier and crazier, just adding to my problem. Now I am alcohol free with no panic attacks, I have no problems being by myself and keeping occupied with work and fun things to do. I sleep like a baby all through the night. It's wonderful.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have just recently started taking this medicine and my anxiety has vanished. I have even tried to make myself anxious and it will not happen. I am satisfied so far.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by Btp200:

Until I was fifty I dealt with life, and fear the best I could. Going through catholic school in the sixties was pure hell. But I leaned to deal with generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder the best I could. I become a perfectionist resulting in what others would call a very successful life. At fifty my wife divorced me throwing me into a ten year spin of uncontrollable anxiety. After trying almost every pill made, I tried Gabapentin after one morning and one at lunch. I felt better for the first time in ten years. I have taken for nine months and most of the time I feel better than I have ever felt. A control calm I have never felt. I hope it continues to work.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by Beshy:

I was started on Neurontin for hot flashes. I am also diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Not only are my hot flashes gone but so is my anxiety! This medicine has been a miracle for me. I have suffered with anxiety almost all of my life and this is the first medication that actually takes away anxiety. It gives me the sense of relaxation and calmness. It's also not addictive.

February 17, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by ali21221 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Doses over 2700mg daily completely got rid of the anxiety but gave me severe abdominal cramp.

February 8, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by 7425:

I started 300mg 2x daily for depression and anxiety last Wednesday. All I can say is wow. This stuff is great. I'm back to jogging and daily activities along with my outpatient therapy. This is 5 days removed from suicidal thoughts and almost a 72 hour hold. My doctor is weening me off Valium but I really don't need it but says I have to take it as I ate my whole months script of 60 in 5 days so I'll do what she says. My thoughts and prayers are with all who suffer and if possible give this a try.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by Lanielou (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on 300mg/day for 14 months. Before, the anxiety was so bad, I seemed to get "set off" quite easily. Now I am relaxed. It gives this feeling, like "okay, whatever, I can handle this." My doctor said I could take more of it if I felt I needed it, but I haven't

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by 7425:

Going through a real bad bout of depression and anxiety. Was almost hospitalized but am doing outpatient group starting tomorrow. Doctor gave me enough Valium to ween off and gave me Gabapentin today. 300mg twice a day. Took my first one 2 hours ago and feel pretty chill. Also coming off opiates for chronic pain. Very tired but haven't slept much lately. Hopefully with a good nights rest I'll feel more upbeat tomorrow. Also take Effexor and Remeron. Good luck and prayers to all who suffer from emotional issues.

January 29, 2014 4:22 PM

Review by anonymous legion:

I originally took massive handfuls of this drug for epilepsy over a month a decade or so ago. It was ineffective, but I noticed while I took it the side effect of being happy, sociable, and chatty. Along with other stuff at the massive doses. So fast forward a decade or two, and had unexpected nasty negative life events and became suicidal. Ended up in a psych ward, and I asked for gabapentin. Started taking a pill morning and evening and the overwhelming suicidal thoughts vanished, the daily crying spells vanished, the intense negative emotion state vanished. Feel calm, cheerful, and happy. My blood pressure went from ultrastress 180/120 with pulse 150 to 120/80 pulse 90. It calms me down and helps me cope when I was feeling overwhelmed

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by Back injury:

I have a bulging disk, I have suffered from back pain for 4 years now. I occasionally split a 600mg pill. I notice little pain relief but I wake up happy. The strangest thing. I didn't realize the medication was used for anxiety, which is why I researched. I have had some depression associated with my back injury. I will take again a half of 600mg pill at night. It helps me sleep and I literally wake up happy. I should mention that I take it intermittently. I may take for a week straight but that is the longest.

January 6, 2014 3:55 AM

Review by WildGoose (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've even taking gabapentin for three years. From the get-go I have felt the benefits of this medicine. I usually take 300mg morning and evening. If I have a "crowded" situation, I sometimes use it at lunch time as well. I have done well on this. I know that isn't for everyone. But this is the medicine that has come along and freed me from anxiety. A true liberator with no dopey side effects.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 11:20 AM