User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

Review by ThisIsPatrick (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

gabapentin: I took Gabapentin for the usual depression/anxiety combination. It helped my anxiety SO much and I was a new person on it. The only reason I had to go off of it was because I have Interstitial Cystitis and the Gabapentin acted as a bladder irritant to my condition. Other than it worsened my interstitial cystitis, this medication was pretty flawless.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 19, 2014 12:25 AM
Review by Peppasmum (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

gabapentin: I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety/depression, after trying amitryptylline and citalopram, both of which did not work. My dose was 300mg Gabapentin 3x a day, however, this dose was causing me to have really achey joints so I stopped taking the evening one and now have one when I get up, and one at lunchtime. I can really feel the effects of the morning one, as, an hour after taking it I feel a little light headed and drunk, but very focused and determined. I am also sleeping better as my head isn't full of worries when I go to sleep like it used to be. Gabapentin does not make you feel sluggish and zombie-like like other meds, in fact I find them to be the opposite - I get loads done in a day which also helps me sleep.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 5:59 PM
Review by Nickname: User Rating:

gabapentin: Best anti-anxiety medicine yet.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 10:17 AM
Review by sliceman (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

gabapentin: Gabapentin has been a life saver for me. I have suffered from dysthemia and anxiety for my entire 47 years of existence. I've been on every medicine they could toss at me over the years but nothing helped with my symptoms. Then I had back surgery for a discotomy on L5 on my spine. I had severe leg pain and the sciatica pain was very intense. The doctor prescribed gabapentin for residual nerve pain in my left foot. Without gabapentin my foot feels like its on fire but I also discovered how different I was beginning to feel with my depression and anxiety....I felt alive for the first time in decades. I kid you not, it is a wonderful and my doctor has been recording my progress on it with my depression and anxiety. Great medicine.

March 16, 2014 9:46 AM
Review by Ah1105: User Rating:

gabapentin: I was on gabapentin when I was younger around age 16 to 18 and I remembered it must had worked pretty well because I stayed on for a little while. So fast forward almost ten years and I started seeing doctor again due to social anxiety and asked if I could try gabapentin. I started low 100mg at night which actually did help me sleep and felt calming effect but I did notice a little twitchy, but all in all it was ok the problem was the next day my anxiety seemed a lot worse I even tried couple more nights and same thing always happened. I'd have physical effect of anxiety, pounding heart, etc. I am also on methadone so I don't know if this why this medication made me have such bad anxiety next day but everyone is different.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 13, 2014 10:48 PM
Review by Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

gabapentin: I suffer from generalzed anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and panic disorder. I have been on Neurontin for about three months. At first I was on 300mg/day, and now am on 600mg/day. My doctor wants to ultimately get me up to 900mg/day. This medicine works great. It keeps me on a calm and even keel, plus eliminates some of my physical anxiety symptoms. The only side effect I experienced was some slight clumsiness at first, which disappeared after a few days. I also take Tenormin and Prozac.

March 10, 2014 7:31 PM
Review by glittereyes (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I just started Gabapentin 300mg Feb 28th and am titrating down of off Lexapro. It started making my anxiety go through the roof. I am also on Buspar, Lamictal and Zoloft. I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and am in recovery x5 years from Alcoholism. Without medication my life is unmanageable. So far I feel great, not sure if its because I am lowering my Lexapro and will be off this Friday. Or if it's the Gabapentin. I am hoping this works.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 3:01 PM
Review by cold837: User Rating:

gabapentin: I have had panic attacks since I was four, I am 33 now. I was an alcoholic four 10 years cause I was on a high dose of Xanax and I got hooked then my doctor put me on Klonopin because it is a longer lasting medicine. I then got put on gabapentin 400mg three times a day and it has been a blessing. It helped me get rid of Klonopin and now I am panic attack free.

March 3, 2014 2:00 PM
Review by Phyllis in FL (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

gabapentin: I am 47 with such an exhausting history of anxiety that had led me to self medicate with alcohol, until finally finding the correct medical doctor. Doctors in the past have been writing me scrips that have been making me crazier and crazier, just adding to my problem. Now I am alcohol free with no panic attacks, I have no problems being by myself and keeping occupied with work and fun things to do. I sleep like a baby all through the night. It's wonderful.

February 28, 2014 4:48 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I have just recently started taking this medicine and my anxiety has vanished. I have even tried to make myself anxious and it will not happen. I am satisfied so far.

February 27, 2014 4:50 PM
Review by Btp200: User Rating:

gabapentin: Until I was fifty I dealt with life, and fear the best I could. Going through catholic school in the sixties was pure hell. But I leaned to deal with generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder the best I could. I become a perfectionist resulting in what others would call a very successful life. At fifty my wife divorced me throwing me into a ten year spin of uncontrollable anxiety. After trying almost every pill made, I tried Gabapentin after one morning and one at lunch. I felt better for the first time in ten years. I have taken for nine months and most of the time I feel better than I have ever felt. A control calm I have never felt. I hope it continues to work.

February 22, 2014 9:19 PM
Review by Beshy: User Rating:

gabapentin: I was started on Neurontin for hot flashes. I am also diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Not only are my hot flashes gone but so is my anxiety! This medicine has been a miracle for me. I have suffered with anxiety almost all of my life and this is the first medication that actually takes away anxiety. It gives me the sense of relaxation and calmness. It's also not addictive.

February 17, 2014 3:47 PM
Review by ali21221 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

gabapentin: Doses over 2700mg daily completely got rid of the anxiety but gave me severe abdominal cramp.

February 8, 2014 6:15 PM
Review by 7425: User Rating:

gabapentin: I started 300mg 2x daily for depression and anxiety last Wednesday. All I can say is wow. This stuff is great. I'm back to jogging and daily activities along with my outpatient therapy. This is 5 days removed from suicidal thoughts and almost a 72 hour hold. My doctor is weening me off Valium but I really don't need it but says I have to take it as I ate my whole months script of 60 in 5 days so I'll do what she says. My thoughts and prayers are with all who suffer and if possible give this a try.

February 1, 2014 11:53 AM
Review by Lanielou (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

gabapentin: I have been on 300mg/day for 14 months. Before, the anxiety was so bad, I seemed to get "set off" quite easily. Now I am relaxed. It gives this feeling, like "okay, whatever, I can handle this." My doctor said I could take more of it if I felt I needed it, but I haven't

January 30, 2014 3:34 PM
Review by 7425:

gabapentin: Going through a real bad bout of depression and anxiety. Was almost hospitalized but am doing outpatient group starting tomorrow. Doctor gave me enough Valium to ween off and gave me Gabapentin today. 300mg twice a day. Took my first one 2 hours ago and feel pretty chill. Also coming off opiates for chronic pain. Very tired but haven't slept much lately. Hopefully with a good nights rest I'll feel more upbeat tomorrow. Also take Effexor and Remeron. Good luck and prayers to all who suffer from emotional issues.

January 29, 2014 4:22 PM
Review by anonymous legion: User Rating:

gabapentin: I originally took massive handfuls of this drug for epilepsy over a month a decade or so ago. It was ineffective, but I noticed while I took it the side effect of being happy, sociable, and chatty. Along with other stuff at the massive doses. So fast forward a decade or two, and had unexpected nasty negative life events and became suicidal. Ended up in a psych ward, and I asked for gabapentin. Started taking a pill morning and evening and the overwhelming suicidal thoughts vanished, the daily crying spells vanished, the intense negative emotion state vanished. Feel calm, cheerful, and happy. My blood pressure went from ultrastress 180/120 with pulse 150 to 120/80 pulse 90. It calms me down and helps me cope when I was feeling overwhelmed

January 16, 2014 11:01 AM
Review by Back injury:

gabapentin: I have a bulging disk, I have suffered from back pain for 4 years now. I occasionally split a 600mg pill. I notice little pain relief but I wake up happy. The strangest thing. I didn't realize the medication was used for anxiety, which is why I researched. I have had some depression associated with my back injury. I will take again a half of 600mg pill at night. It helps me sleep and I literally wake up happy. I should mention that I take it intermittently. I may take for a week straight but that is the longest.

January 6, 2014 3:55 AM
Review by WildGoose (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

gabapentin: I've even taking gabapentin for three years. From the get-go I have felt the benefits of this medicine. I usually take 300mg morning and evening. If I have a "crowded" situation, I sometimes use it at lunch time as well. I have done well on this. I know that isn't for everyone. But this is the medicine that has come along and freed me from anxiety. A true liberator with no dopey side effects.

December 21, 2013 11:20 AM
Review by DuffyC (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: Thank God for this medication! After a few major life changes I recently went through I developed an anxiety disorder on top of frequent panic attacks. After trying a few medicines my PCP put me on a Xanax regimen. BAD IDEA! Within 2 1/2 months I was up to 4-5mg/day! I got sick of it and went to a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. After being appalled that I was prescribed that much Xanax she put me on a Gabapentin regimen. 100mg 3x's a day for one week, then 200mg 3x's a day for my second week. Then a follow up. I just started my second week and I'm already taking less than half of the Xanax I was needing. She said within a month I'll be off the Xanax. I feel great all day. I don't even feel like I need the Xanax.

December 15, 2013 9:29 PM
Review by Goalmaster: User Rating:

gabapentin: I am an addict in recovery and after a year of being clean I got a terrible anxiety disorder. Within two days I felt normal again this so far has helped a ton.

November 21, 2013 4:18 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I have taken many medications for anxiety and depression. This works just like Klonopin for me right now. It takes the weight off your chest and removes my mental anxiety and even some of my physical side effects. I'm currently on 300mg a day and it's enough to calm me down and take the edge off. Great medication.

November 15, 2013 3:09 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

gabapentin: I have recently started this medication. 300 mg twice a day. My doctor said she always prescribes it together with some type of antidepressant therefore I take it together with a very low doses of Prozac. That choice was due to my anxiety, which she said Prozac would be effective for that condition. Also, the Prozac should take a few weeks to notice the effect. The day I started the Neurontin, I could see an immediate change in my mood and my ability to asses a situation more clearly without being so overwhelmed. I am not diagnosed with bipolar so much as a general anxiety disorder. Also, I have frequent back and leg pains and I have not yet discovered if there is a significant difference in the amount of pain I experience.

November 15, 2013 10:52 AM
Review by SoberAlive (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: This is my first day on Gapapentin for anxiety, and I have experienced truly amazing results! I am free of anxiety and work, and excessive thinking has greatly diminished. I am thinking clearly, and there are no apparent side affects. I began to feel the calming effect with 20 minutes of so. I hope that I will continue to receive this therapeutic effect on such a low dose, and do not build up a tolerance.

November 7, 2013 9:02 PM
Review by just me55: User Rating:

gabapentin: I was taking 300 mgs 3 x daily. The drunk, dizziness, overall sick feeling was just to much. Took for 3 weeks. The doc then lowered my dose to 100 2x a.m. and noon and 300 5 p.m. I was still getting that drunk feeling on it two weeks. Somewhat helped with anxiety but not like all the good reviews I'm reading. (I'm jealous) :) developed severe rash and went to the doc and blood pressure was 170/92. I have always had great blood pressure. Doc said stop and stop now, call your psych. and let him know. Don't know what else to try. So may ssri's make me sick as I am allergic. Sucks, I know the anxiety and depression will be back soon and just don't know which way to turn???

November 5, 2013 9:40 PM