User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

Review by Rosie Posy (taken for less than 1 month):

I took one pill and had more anxiety than normal, did not help pain and lay in bed awake all night. Took it again..... Same thing. More anxiety than normal and muscle spasms are horribly intense. I will be calling my doctor Monday. This medicine did the opposite of what it was supposed to. It is definitely not for me.

September 21, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by Anxiety Mood disorder Stan (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Neurontin since 1997 (2500 mg) for generalized anxiety. Just fear of doing anything. I think most reading this get it without me going into great detail. Buspar was not helpful. My psychiatrist was reluctant to use benzodiazepiness because of alcohol abuse issues. I am on mood stabilizing medicines, and antidepressants and had been for 7 years before my "life saving". It took me three months to believe the anxiety wouldn't return as a 24/365 nightmare. I didn't know how bad it was until it stopped.

September 9, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by xxFr33d0m_________xx:

I have had to be patient for a while with this pill. I was prescribed at 14 for this medicine and sometimes I would still get anxiety attacks at around 15 it started to help including my weekly therapy appointments. Gabapentin used to sometimes make me jittery if I didn't eat before I took them. I also don't like going a day without them. They have helped now after 2 years of taking them and I'm used to them but the beginning side effects really kicked in for me. I don't think I will be able to stop taking them either. I don't know but for now I will continue going to therapy and taking them.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 7:06 PM

Review by TeeBRu (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was hospitalized with severe depression and social anxiety, generalized anxiety and bipolar. Gabapentin introduced (300 3x day) with Zoloft and Vistaril (which I had to discontinue as I had severe symptoms) Helps alot...but I still have difficulty going in public..ever. Also, the teeth grinding is so intense that my teeth are VISIBLY shorter and shorn to the same length. I also have jaw pain related, sweating, and very blurred vision. Terrible CONSTANT dry mouth and throat. Right now, the positives outweigh the negative? But just barely. I'm not sure If I will continue this or not. The improvement in outlook is phenomenal, but I know its not real recovery and the side effects are just short of unbearable.

August 31, 2014 12:02 AM

Review by carolinajack:

I have taken Neurontin for 5 days now..400 mg 4 times a day. It is like a miracle medicine for me. I was drinking 18-24 beers a day..one 10 mg Valium, lots of coffee and smoking 1 1/2 - 2 Packs of cigarettes a day. Anxiety levels were High. I feel rested, calm, clear headed and No anxiety. It's been 20 years since I have felt this good. I drank a lot and took a lot of nerve pills. I went to rehab for 3 days. Doctor put me on Neurontin 1600 daily. I feel a little sluggish, but that is a lot better than the way I felt a week ago. I have No caffeine, cigarettes, valium or alcohol. I have saved a lot of money now. ($30) a day habit. I do wear a 21 mg patch though. Please give this Drug a try. Get the right dosage for you will help a lot.

August 29, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by davey1997:

I'm on gabapentin for a couple of weeks now, I get prescribed 0.5 of risperidone, 30 mg of mirtazapine, and 15 mg a of diazepam/Vallium a day. I am diagnosed to autism and suffer from depression and anxiety, I took this and felt happy.

August 21, 2014 5:31 AM

Review by motorcyclebaby (taken for less than 1 month):

In 2012, I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder from trauma from 9-11-01 events in New York City. I had lived with PTSD for over 10 years unknowingly. Two different doctors put me on anti-depressants because I did not sleep well. All 3 (Zoloft, Amitriptyline, and Trazodone) worsened my mood. I did not have clinical depression; i.e., did not have trouble getting out of bed. A third doctor prescribed gabapentin. I am less reactive, feel more social, and generally more happy. Also, if I wait to take a dose, I can feel the onset of anxiety, unlike in the last 12 years, which is helpful for practicing sensory emotional regulation. With the ability to feel when anxiety sets, I can practice the technique. I hope to be off medication soon.

August 3, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by jeevgill (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was taking Lamictal and Klonopin for a long time and doing very well on it. In 2010 I had to have a lumbar disk replacement from an old hockey injury in college. Sadly I got hooked on pain pills and when I finally stopped I was spending about 5k to 6k a month on pills which indicates how much I was taking. Since about Xmas of 2013 I have been going through a period of Major Depression and Severe anxiety. I just kept getting worse and worse and the Klonopin/Lamictal stopped working. I had a prescription of Gabapentin sitting in my drawer that I had been prescribed but stopped using because it was making me dizzy. I decided to try it our of desperation and all I can say is wow. My anxiety has gone from a 10 to a 2 and no side effects.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by hightsman:

I have generalized anxiety disorder and have been on SSRI's and Benzodiazepines. The SSRI's made me manic. Zoloft, Buspar, Paxil...etc. I have been in 2 treatment programs and the hospital for harmful thoughts over the last 5 years. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and seemed to work real well. Then a follow up doc took me off and said I had to take an antidepresseant and Xanax to help me sleep. Huge mistake. Well I went back on the Gabapentin then off again because I thought it was causing a problem but it was really the Xanax. Now, I have been put back on it 300mg 3x a day. I also take a low dose of Remeron and trazodone to help me sleep. I think it is a good medication for anxiety and I hope this time I get good results like I did the first time I was on it.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by Blessed_to_be_here (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have never in my 30 years of living been so happy & alive thanks to the gabapentin and lithium my psychiatrist put me on almost 3 months ago. Going back to my inpatient stay in March- I was suicidal because I didn't think there was any other way out of the pain and burden of being anxious 24/7. It paralyzed me. I felt helpless. Now, I go to the gym, play with my son more, preform better at work, and all my relationships are much better. I can actually think to communicate. Also, I don't go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds anymore. I'm like "I got this. Just breathe" I can't even make myself anxious anymore. I've tried. I am on 3000mg a day of Gabapentin (5-600mg pills a day) and 600mg of Lithium (2-300mg pills a day). True Happiness!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by mcb70 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was originally prescribed Gabapentin for internal nerve damage due to extensive colon cancer surgery. It has been about 75% effective in relieving this pain. To my surprise, it has also helped in other ways I was never expecting. I have a pretty laid back personality (I thought) but after taking Gabapentin for pain relief, I began noticing a calming effect overtake me - just relaxed. I used to get lots of negative thoughts come to my mind which I would fight off but now I don't even go there! My husband has really noticed a difference in my upbeat attitude towards life and after a year of radiation, chemo, surgery etc... it is a wonderful surprise to him also! As a side note - I am also sleeping great and wake up refreshed.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by JMWJ:

I have had periodic depression for years, and general anxiety problems as well, lately they had been getting worse. I cannot tolerate the SSRI anti-depressants, can't even tell any effect when I take Buspar, was taking Clonazepam when things got really bad. I went back to see a Dr. I have great respect for, had another QEEG, he said I have a "fast brain" (Gross CNS hyperarousal). Started me on 300 mg Gabapentin at bedtime. Noticed a calming, mellowing effect the first day. Before I could not stop my mind from racing, from obsessing, and would get almost paralyzed to do anything. I feel so much better, my mind is calm, depression is lifted, and no side effects other than a very, very slight fogginess. So far, for me - amazing.

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Ashley M (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When my doctor first prescribed gabapentin, normally a seizure medicine, for my anxiety, I was a little confused. She explained to me that if you look at 2 brain scans, one patient with seizures, and one with anxiety, the damage in their brain is very similar. Within a week, I was able to feel a dramatic difference with my anxiety. Within a month, I truly felt "normal" again. I LOVE what this medication does for me, and it's made a huge impact on my daily life. I take one 300mg tablet in the morning, and two at night, and I have a very mild twitch that it's also helped to relieve as an extra plus.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by ThisIsPatrick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took Gabapentin for the usual depression/anxiety combination. It helped my anxiety SO much and I was a new person on it. The only reason I had to go off of it was because I have Interstitial Cystitis and the Gabapentin acted as a bladder irritant to my condition. Other than it worsened my interstitial cystitis, this medication was pretty flawless.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by Peppasmum (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety/depression, after trying amitryptylline and citalopram, both of which did not work. My dose was 300mg Gabapentin 3x a day, however, this dose was causing me to have really achey joints so I stopped taking the evening one and now have one when I get up, and one at lunchtime. I can really feel the effects of the morning one, as, an hour after taking it I feel a little light headed and drunk, but very focused and determined. I am also sleeping better as my head isn't full of worries when I go to sleep like it used to be. Gabapentin does not make you feel sluggish and zombie-like like other meds, in fact I find them to be the opposite - I get loads done in a day which also helps me sleep.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by Nickname:

Best anti-anxiety medicine yet.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by sliceman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gabapentin has been a life saver for me. I have suffered from dysthemia and anxiety for my entire 47 years of existence. I've been on every medicine they could toss at me over the years but nothing helped with my symptoms. Then I had back surgery for a discotomy on L5 on my spine. I had severe leg pain and the sciatica pain was very intense. The doctor prescribed gabapentin for residual nerve pain in my left foot. Without gabapentin my foot feels like its on fire but I also discovered how different I was beginning to feel with my depression and anxiety....I felt alive for the first time in decades. I kid you not, it is a wonderful and my doctor has been recording my progress on it with my depression and anxiety. Great medicine.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by Ah1105:

I was on gabapentin when I was younger around age 16 to 18 and I remembered it must had worked pretty well because I stayed on for a little while. So fast forward almost ten years and I started seeing doctor again due to social anxiety and asked if I could try gabapentin. I started low 100mg at night which actually did help me sleep and felt calming effect but I did notice a little twitchy, but all in all it was ok the problem was the next day my anxiety seemed a lot worse I even tried couple more nights and same thing always happened. I'd have physical effect of anxiety, pounding heart, etc. I am also on methadone so I don't know if this why this medication made me have such bad anxiety next day but everyone is different.

March 13, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffer from generalzed anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and panic disorder. I have been on Neurontin for about three months. At first I was on 300mg/day, and now am on 600mg/day. My doctor wants to ultimately get me up to 900mg/day. This medicine works great. It keeps me on a calm and even keel, plus eliminates some of my physical anxiety symptoms. The only side effect I experienced was some slight clumsiness at first, which disappeared after a few days. I also take Tenormin and Prozac.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by glittereyes (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started Gabapentin 300mg Feb 28th and am titrating down of off Lexapro. It started making my anxiety go through the roof. I am also on Buspar, Lamictal and Zoloft. I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and am in recovery x5 years from Alcoholism. Without medication my life is unmanageable. So far I feel great, not sure if its because I am lowering my Lexapro and will be off this Friday. Or if it's the Gabapentin. I am hoping this works.

March 4, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by cold837:

I have had panic attacks since I was four, I am 33 now. I was an alcoholic four 10 years cause I was on a high dose of Xanax and I got hooked then my doctor put me on Klonopin because it is a longer lasting medicine. I then got put on gabapentin 400mg three times a day and it has been a blessing. It helped me get rid of Klonopin and now I am panic attack free.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Phyllis in FL (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 47 with such an exhausting history of anxiety that had led me to self medicate with alcohol, until finally finding the correct medical doctor. Doctors in the past have been writing me scrips that have been making me crazier and crazier, just adding to my problem. Now I am alcohol free with no panic attacks, I have no problems being by myself and keeping occupied with work and fun things to do. I sleep like a baby all through the night. It's wonderful.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have just recently started taking this medicine and my anxiety has vanished. I have even tried to make myself anxious and it will not happen. I am satisfied so far.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by Btp200:

Until I was fifty I dealt with life, and fear the best I could. Going through catholic school in the sixties was pure hell. But I leaned to deal with generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder the best I could. I become a perfectionist resulting in what others would call a very successful life. At fifty my wife divorced me throwing me into a ten year spin of uncontrollable anxiety. After trying almost every pill made, I tried Gabapentin after one morning and one at lunch. I felt better for the first time in ten years. I have taken for nine months and most of the time I feel better than I have ever felt. A control calm I have never felt. I hope it continues to work.

February 22, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by Beshy:

I was started on Neurontin for hot flashes. I am also diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Not only are my hot flashes gone but so is my anxiety! This medicine has been a miracle for me. I have suffered with anxiety almost all of my life and this is the first medication that actually takes away anxiety. It gives me the sense of relaxation and calmness. It's also not addictive.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 3:47 PM