User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

Review by headcase2 (taken for less than 1 month):

Very good medicine. Taking 200 to 300mg daily for anxiety, racing thoughts, poor sleep etc. Have been on lamotrigine and risperidone for supposed BPD for years. Everything they can't get rid of, gabapentin does. Never realized there was still so much room for improvement! One other thing. For me, MSG or any free glutamate sets off severe anxiety and migraines. Some of you may have similar problem, so think about your diet too. For me gabapentin provides fast relief from a 'meal mistake'. Benzodiazepines worked pretty well for me, but now that I have this, bye bye. I used to use alcohol more than I should, but now don't feel the need too.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2015 2:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Just took first dose. Haven't felt this good in a long time. Been on many medications.

January 28, 2015 9:00 PM

Review by Kk283 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Neurontin for 3 months now for anxiety. I started at 100 mg 3x a day and now at 600 mg 3x a day and very happy with that dose. I very rarely have to take my Vistaril. Before taking this my anxiety got so severe that I actually feared planes crashing on top of me every time I heard one go by. I only experienced mild sedation when I started it and it is gone now. No other side effects. It may not work for everyone, but I would definitely recommend giving it a try to anyone who's doctor recommends it!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 6:51 PM

Review by college student (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started off with a relatively low dose of 300mg once a day. After starting the medication, I began to pass out regularly and could not see straight. My anxiety did not change. I returned to my psychiatrist and he lowered the dosage to 100mg, once a day and although I no longer experience side effects, I still have not noticed any changes to my anxiety and suffer anxiety attacks daily.

January 20, 2015 9:50 PM

Review by Shelly Lynn:

After a hard divorce at a young age I became an addict meds. When I searched for help I found an amazing doctor that I feel cares about my well being not just there to give me meds. One of the medications he had given me was Neurontin(gabapentin) and it has helped not only with my anxiety but I also get horrible sciatic nerve pain ( when I'm sitting for long periods of time and at night when I'm sleeping) it has helped so much. I can take it during the day which helps my anxiety and at night helps me get a good night sleep as well as the nerve pain. I would recommend this medication for anyone struggling with these issues. I hope this helped just one person.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 8:51 PM

Review by bryan72 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am 42 yes old and have had social anxiety my whole life. It's been hard to deal with. I became an addict because I couldn't cope. After serving in the military I went to the VA for help. I was on so many medicines I can't remember them all. Gabapentin has changed my life. Been completely clean for years and no anxiety.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 2:48 PM

Review by Ngrant215:

In one day I felt so much better! No jitters, nervousness and no pain. I used to shake when anxiety was high, so much I hurt everywhere! I now have fibromyalgia with anxiety, but I feel normal! Eating well, maybe to much snacky stuff due to the neuro meds, working out, cleaning the house. I'm back! It's a stoned feeling at first then you get used to it.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 11:52 PM

Review by wbr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm an MST and PTSD survivor and this stuff along with Lyrica restored me in about a week. Medication that affects SSRI cannot even compare when it comes to treating my condition. I feel like myself again! I don't even need alcohol anymore! I'm still depressed but I can finally breathe again without having a panic attack. Highly recommended to those with severe anxiety or Post traumatic stress disorder. The side effects are mundane at best.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by veteran20052007:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder survivor! Thriver now! This medicine gave me my life back! Only side effect so far is depression if I come down for too long. DR adjusted my dose and its perfect.

December 11, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by Audrey McCabe (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Gabapentin 100MG twice daily for 3 weeks now for generalized anxiety and don't feel much of an improvement. Next time I see my psychiatrist I will ask for an increase in my dosage and maybe that will help.

December 8, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by kate s.:

I have found both Neurontin and generic Gabapentin to be very useful for treating my anxiety disorder. For me, I would not use anything else. It works well for my mother too. I am so glad it is in my life and so are my family and friends.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by kretsim:

I wasn't sure about how anxious I was on a daily basis. I tried to self medicate with nicotine and caffeine but the caffeine just added to my anxiety..I was put on 100mg twice a day as needed. I like this med. My anxiety has decreased by at least 30 to 40%. Just after my first dose. I am going to take gabapentin every 8 hours from now on. That should cover me during the day at evening. That leaves me with 8 hours of sleep in which I don't need the medication. My doc said I can take up to 200mg at a time but I am not sure if I am going to do that. I don't wanna be on such a high dose. Things are slightly better than they were before I took the pill and for now, it's all I need.

October 27, 2014 6:17 PM

Review by Rosie Posy (taken for less than 1 month):

I took one pill and had more anxiety than normal, did not help pain and lay in bed awake all night. Took it again..... Same thing. More anxiety than normal and muscle spasms are horribly intense. I will be calling my doctor Monday. This medicine did the opposite of what it was supposed to. It is definitely not for me.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by Anxiety Mood disorder Stan (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Neurontin since 1997 (2500 mg) for generalized anxiety. Just fear of doing anything. I think most reading this get it without me going into great detail. Buspar was not helpful. My psychiatrist was reluctant to use benzodiazepiness because of alcohol abuse issues. I am on mood stabilizing medicines, and antidepressants and had been for 7 years before my "life saving". It took me three months to believe the anxiety wouldn't return as a 24/365 nightmare. I didn't know how bad it was until it stopped.

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by xxFr33d0m_________xx:

I have had to be patient for a while with this pill. I was prescribed at 14 for this medicine and sometimes I would still get anxiety attacks at around 15 it started to help including my weekly therapy appointments. Gabapentin used to sometimes make me jittery if I didn't eat before I took them. I also don't like going a day without them. They have helped now after 2 years of taking them and I'm used to them but the beginning side effects really kicked in for me. I don't think I will be able to stop taking them either. I don't know but for now I will continue going to therapy and taking them.

September 7, 2014 7:06 PM

Review by TeeBRu (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was hospitalized with severe depression and social anxiety, generalized anxiety and bipolar. Gabapentin introduced (300 3x day) with Zoloft and Vistaril (which I had to discontinue as I had severe symptoms) Helps alot...but I still have difficulty going in public..ever. Also, the teeth grinding is so intense that my teeth are VISIBLY shorter and shorn to the same length. I also have jaw pain related, sweating, and very blurred vision. Terrible CONSTANT dry mouth and throat. Right now, the positives outweigh the negative? But just barely. I'm not sure If I will continue this or not. The improvement in outlook is phenomenal, but I know its not real recovery and the side effects are just short of unbearable.

August 31, 2014 12:02 AM

Review by carolinajack:

I have taken Neurontin for 5 days now..400 mg 4 times a day. It is like a miracle medicine for me. I was drinking 18-24 beers a day..one 10 mg Valium, lots of coffee and smoking 1 1/2 - 2 Packs of cigarettes a day. Anxiety levels were High. I feel rested, calm, clear headed and No anxiety. It's been 20 years since I have felt this good. I drank a lot and took a lot of nerve pills. I went to rehab for 3 days. Doctor put me on Neurontin 1600 daily. I feel a little sluggish, but that is a lot better than the way I felt a week ago. I have No caffeine, cigarettes, valium or alcohol. I have saved a lot of money now. ($30) a day habit. I do wear a 21 mg patch though. Please give this Drug a try. Get the right dosage for you will help a lot.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by davey1997:

I'm on gabapentin for a couple of weeks now, I get prescribed 0.5 of risperidone, 30 mg of mirtazapine, and 15 mg a of diazepam/Vallium a day. I am diagnosed to autism and suffer from depression and anxiety, I took this and felt happy.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 5:31 AM

Review by motorcyclebaby (taken for less than 1 month):

In 2012, I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder from trauma from 9-11-01 events in New York City. I had lived with PTSD for over 10 years unknowingly. Two different doctors put me on anti-depressants because I did not sleep well. All 3 (Zoloft, Amitriptyline, and Trazodone) worsened my mood. I did not have clinical depression; i.e., did not have trouble getting out of bed. A third doctor prescribed gabapentin. I am less reactive, feel more social, and generally more happy. Also, if I wait to take a dose, I can feel the onset of anxiety, unlike in the last 12 years, which is helpful for practicing sensory emotional regulation. With the ability to feel when anxiety sets, I can practice the technique. I hope to be off medication soon.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by jeevgill (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was taking Lamictal and Klonopin for a long time and doing very well on it. In 2010 I had to have a lumbar disk replacement from an old hockey injury in college. Sadly I got hooked on pain pills and when I finally stopped I was spending about 5k to 6k a month on pills which indicates how much I was taking. Since about Xmas of 2013 I have been going through a period of Major Depression and Severe anxiety. I just kept getting worse and worse and the Klonopin/Lamictal stopped working. I had a prescription of Gabapentin sitting in my drawer that I had been prescribed but stopped using because it was making me dizzy. I decided to try it our of desperation and all I can say is wow. My anxiety has gone from a 10 to a 2 and no side effects.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by hightsman:

I have generalized anxiety disorder and have been on SSRI's and Benzodiazepines. The SSRI's made me manic. Zoloft, Buspar, Paxil...etc. I have been in 2 treatment programs and the hospital for harmful thoughts over the last 5 years. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and seemed to work real well. Then a follow up doc took me off and said I had to take an antidepresseant and Xanax to help me sleep. Huge mistake. Well I went back on the Gabapentin then off again because I thought it was causing a problem but it was really the Xanax. Now, I have been put back on it 300mg 3x a day. I also take a low dose of Remeron and trazodone to help me sleep. I think it is a good medication for anxiety and I hope this time I get good results like I did the first time I was on it.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by Blessed_to_be_here (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have never in my 30 years of living been so happy & alive thanks to the gabapentin and lithium my psychiatrist put me on almost 3 months ago. Going back to my inpatient stay in March- I was suicidal because I didn't think there was any other way out of the pain and burden of being anxious 24/7. It paralyzed me. I felt helpless. Now, I go to the gym, play with my son more, preform better at work, and all my relationships are much better. I can actually think to communicate. Also, I don't go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds anymore. I'm like "I got this. Just breathe" I can't even make myself anxious anymore. I've tried. I am on 3000mg a day of Gabapentin (5-600mg pills a day) and 600mg of Lithium (2-300mg pills a day). True Happiness!

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by mcb70 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was originally prescribed Gabapentin for internal nerve damage due to extensive colon cancer surgery. It has been about 75% effective in relieving this pain. To my surprise, it has also helped in other ways I was never expecting. I have a pretty laid back personality (I thought) but after taking Gabapentin for pain relief, I began noticing a calming effect overtake me - just relaxed. I used to get lots of negative thoughts come to my mind which I would fight off but now I don't even go there! My husband has really noticed a difference in my upbeat attitude towards life and after a year of radiation, chemo, surgery etc... it is a wonderful surprise to him also! As a side note - I am also sleeping great and wake up refreshed.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by JMWJ:

I have had periodic depression for years, and general anxiety problems as well, lately they had been getting worse. I cannot tolerate the SSRI anti-depressants, can't even tell any effect when I take Buspar, was taking Clonazepam when things got really bad. I went back to see a Dr. I have great respect for, had another QEEG, he said I have a "fast brain" (Gross CNS hyperarousal). Started me on 300 mg Gabapentin at bedtime. Noticed a calming, mellowing effect the first day. Before I could not stop my mind from racing, from obsessing, and would get almost paralyzed to do anything. I feel so much better, my mind is calm, depression is lifted, and no side effects other than a very, very slight fogginess. So far, for me - amazing.

211 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Ashley M (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When my doctor first prescribed gabapentin, normally a seizure medicine, for my anxiety, I was a little confused. She explained to me that if you look at 2 brain scans, one patient with seizures, and one with anxiety, the damage in their brain is very similar. Within a week, I was able to feel a dramatic difference with my anxiety. Within a month, I truly felt "normal" again. I LOVE what this medication does for me, and it's made a huge impact on my daily life. I take one 300mg tablet in the morning, and two at night, and I have a very mild twitch that it's also helped to relieve as an extra plus.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 2:27 PM