User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 1 reviews 739 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 551 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by Tilly62:

For Fibromyalgia: Only started a week ago for sciatic pain and back pain, the pain eased from severe to moderate - but the pain in my feet supposedly from firbomyalgia has all but disappeared. As I also have side effects from most tablets starting slowly, first 5 days 1 x 100mg, now on 2 x 100mg. Feel nauseous, very tired and occasional giddy bout but hoping that this disappears over next couple of weeks. Will try 3 tablets after 2 weeks and see how this goes. Tiredness is my main problem at the moment.

April 29, 2013 11:27 AM

For Fibromyalgia: First time in 15 years I am without pain!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2013 5:28 PM

Review by Helenehrenhofer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine: I have had chronic almost daily migraines for almost 25 years, have been to many neurologists, had many MRIs, and other tests and have tried many medicines. In last two years, I have had to take Vicodin, because nothing else worked. Well, my doctor prescribed three 100 mg of this pill, and after 1 pill, I woke up to no migraines. I was into a three week migraine. I have had no migraines now for two consecutive days. First time in years and years. This is a miracle pill. I feel a little groggy, like I have had 2 drinks, but I have only been on this for 2 days. I cannot believe the FDA won't allow this pill to be marketed for treatment of chronic migraines. This pill should also help with restless legs syndrome, back pain, and anxiety. Wow!!!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2013 7:23 PM

Review by Robbo91:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I have been a sporadic alcoholic for years now. This and my bipolar does not help. I was prescribed gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day for my frequent and very painful headaches and I have never felt better. I have no cravings for alcohol and haven't drank for 2 weeks now. I sleep better. I feel positive. I'm happy for the first time In years. More research should be done as it is not a recommended medicine for alcohol withdrawal.

April 24, 2013 8:55 PM

Review by Trish /-: (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I found that Gabapentin & Topamax reduced my Trigeminal Neuralgia pain by far but I couldn't think straight. So I stopped taking them and now I am in daily pain.

April 24, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by CRJ (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: Generally positive experience

April 17, 2013 10:11 AM

Review by Wkumomma (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was given gabapentin in addition to my Lamictal. On the two medicines I have developed a little obsessive compulsive disorder. I like having three ink pens to work, like things positioned on shelves in a certain way. After that being said my rapid cycling bipolar is under control. Gabapentin doesn't help joint pain or any other pains I seem to have. I take 400 mg 3x a day. I like it, all the side effects are worth it in my opinion. I have never felt better in my life! I work out everyday just about and eat healthy. The time I started gabapentin I have energy. I have lost 25lbs and have been doing this life change for 6 months. Please try it! And if you are bipolar try the combination.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2013 1:27 PM

Review by Morgan Comfort:

Gralise (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: After decades on pain meds, they are working less and less. In addition to fibromylgia I have bulging and herniated discs, neuropathy, and (controlled) epilepsy. I have learned to live with constant pain. My Doc suggested Gralise (gabapentin) and said that he felt confident I would see good results. I am AMAZED. I saw immediate improvement in my ability to walk and move around. I am experiencing considerably less pain. I am concerned because my insurance will not cover the brand (which is time released) that I am taking and it is expensive, but I remain optimistic and I will try the 3 times a day dosages. I have not felt this good in many years.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 10:15 PM

Review by rohaninoz:

For Restless Legs Syndrome: My restless legs syndrome was actually whole body sort of vibrating, and came on very suddenly. 100 mg gabapentin, and I could sleep again! But every month had to add 100mg, got to 1000mg, then tried reducing 100 / month, realized after 2 months that I really needed the 900, not sure if that was withdrawal, but felt like I simply needed that much - so had a really good month. Then suddenly symptoms flared up, and even 1300 only just works.

April 7, 2013 10:14 PM

Review by TxLindy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: My pain is gone. I consider this a miracle. Before taking this medication I was in so much pain that life was almost unbearable. I was always so tired from little sleep. I sleep normally now and am pain free. I haven't experienced any side effects.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by AlcoholicD (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I have had quite a few severe alcoholic relapses, and Neurontin is wonderful for me for stopping alcohol withdrawal shakes, which seems to tone down the anxiety. It works quickly too for that purpose.

April 3, 2013 1:45 PM

Review by Wenchy68 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have severe anxiety and have been taking Gabapentin for a week, gradually building up to 3 x 300mg a day. Within an hour of taking it I notice a heady, slightly drunk sensation and feel a little 'high', but this passes and I'm finding my thoughts are more organized, I have more energy and I can get more things done. Because I'm more active during the day, I am sleeping better and longer at night. My heart is no longer continually racing, and my chest pains have diminished. Another good thing is that these tablets do not make you feel desensitized, or like a zombie. All in all I would say these are definitely working for me.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2013 3:15 AM

Review by nina72:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been on Neurontin for fibromyalgia pain, and sciatica nerve pain for several months. I can truly say it is a miracle for me. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, and when I do, I feel like I have been hit by a truck. When I take my Neurontin,(600mg 3 x a day) I feel so much better. I have energy to get things done, and it makes the stiffness I feel in my muscles relax more to ease the pain. I have gained a little weight on this medicine, but when the warmer weather hits, I am going to try and get outside and get some exercise. It helps with my high anxiety levels as well, and my psych doc told me that this is a wonderful medicine for anxiety and depression as well. I consider it my miracle pill.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 1:06 PM

Review by lindsay.valentina:

For Anxiety: I just started this medication yesterday. I am taking it for anxiety, insomnia, neuropathy .I was relying heavily on benzodiazapines to curb extreme, constant anxiety accompanied by constant low- level pain. It's been 24 hours and so far it's like a miracle. I don't feel the need for Klonopin or ibuprofen. If it stays like this, I'll be very happy.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2013 3:04 PM

Review by wickedweasle:

For Anxiety: I have been on it for two days now and it has helped me already. This medicine is great. I do feel a little fogging but I hope that will go away after I am used to it. I am taking 600mg 3 times a day.

March 17, 2013 2:36 PM

Review by scarlet1234&67:

For Migraine: I started having having headaches everyday then boom migraine. I was on Topamax they kept upping it. I would wake up with a headache go to bed with one. Then I had a horrible migraine lasted 6 weeks, so they added gabapentin I currently take 1600 mg and 200 mg Topamax but the gabapentin saved me. I do experience side effects like word issues or mood.. but without it I couldn't go to the store even with sun glasses without throwing up. I had to leave my job of ten yrs. I am disabled and I have the side effects but I can go outside now and the pain is manageable.

March 16, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by MustangDave:

For Bipolar Disorder: After 31 years of being treated for depression with a panic disorder, and constantly complaining that the diagnosis was wrong, I found a doctor that figured it out. She diagnosed me with Cyclothymia (a form of bipolar disorder). She took me off of SSRI's and started me on Gabapentin. WOW. I feel like a normal person (I think). I'm calm. So far no panic attacks. The fog has lifted. I feel like I'm actually in the room. It's too bad that it took 31 years of my life for the medical community to figure it out, but better late than never.

March 14, 2013 2:12 PM

Review by Shae M:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking 100mg at night for four days. Yesterday I tapered up too another 100mg in the morning. I just want to say from the first night, I have slept better than ever. I wake up feeling rested (not completely but hey) and just generally feeling better, less achy. Even my mood.

March 14, 2013 1:44 PM

Review by Kathy29 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: 600 mg three times a day. I was taking Gabapentin for 3 years but I stopped it because it has too many side effects, including numbness on my whole body, weight gain is a major fact, more headache than usual, sleepy, tired, active but with a tingling sensation on my tongue and so on, depression when I didn't take it, intolerable, anxiety, sweats, withdrawal symptoms, but it does help with pain and many things but the consequences of it are horrible. Memory loss is another fact, definitely, is a very dangerous medication.

March 2, 2013 1:06 PM

Review by LaSharon:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Gabapentin for herniated disks & nerve damage, I'm amazed at how it's helped me with hot flashes & mood swings. I have been miserable for years hormone therapy didn't work and I was just plain horrible to be around I couldn't stand myself how could anyone else? Now I'm balanced mentally I don't overreact and I don't break out in a sweat the moment my head hits the pillow so I'm getting a good nights sleep, when I read it was used for seizures I was afraid to take it fearing it would cause me to have seizures but that hasn't happened and I've been taking it for 6 months, it's been a positive life changing experience for me and everyone else who knows me. I only wish I'd of been prescribed it sooner, I'm 61.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2013 7:11 PM

Review by San Benito:

For Pain: I have been taking it for almost a year, but only two at night 300mg each. I still have the back pain during the day, my doctor told me to increase it to one in the morning and two at night. But I have not try that because of the sight effect. At night I sleep like a baby, so I do not know how I will feel if I took it in the morning.

February 5, 2013 11:17 AM

Review by mauitilly (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I have had problems with severe anxiety for years..I tried to self medicate with so many things. I use this with Benadryl and love how calm I feel!

January 31, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by gimpy gypsy (taken for 10 years or more):

For Epilepsy: I've been on this medicine for 10 yrs now and have my seizures under control with 1200 mg a day a neurologist placed me on it after trying Dilantan and Depakote. I didn't realize it could be helping my anxiety and restless legs and migraines. I had terrible headaches before I was on gababentin and now have all these things under control. I did gain 30lbs when we added a antidepressant.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 1:45 PM

Review by HiThereMyExperience:

For Migraine: In August 2012 my migraines suddenly got disabling! It was constant and horrible! I saw a neurologist in early Dec. and he ordered Gabapentin, starting at 1 pill and then increasing weekly up to 4 pills. It's mid January and I am still only taking 2 pills because I am always tired and a little nauseated. I need to increase it though because, as another reviewer said, it makes everything "muted" but not completely. I have had some migraines but nothing horrible like before. So for that reason - this medication is wonderful! But I have one side effect that I wonder if it is from gabapentin - I feel extremely mean and annoyed. It's very noticeable to my family. Has anyone else had this side effect?

January 18, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by Clouise:

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: The medicine was prescribed for diabetic neuropathy of the feet, it worked in alleviating the pain in my feet. I gained weight while taking it but did not know why. About 3 months ago I stopped it and since then I have lost 25 lbs not trying to lose weight. I do have a little problem of insomnia since stopping but not enough to take a sleeping pill. I wish I had known about the weight loss from stopping the medicine before now as I thought there was really something wrong with me while dropping the weight.

January 14, 2013 12:04 AM