User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 1 reviews 739 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 543 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by TxLindy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: My pain is gone. I consider this a miracle. Before taking this medication I was in so much pain that life was almost unbearable. I was always so tired from little sleep. I sleep normally now and am pain free. I haven't experienced any side effects.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by AlcoholicD (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I have had quite a few severe alcoholic relapses, and Neurontin is wonderful for me for stopping alcohol withdrawal shakes, which seems to tone down the anxiety. It works quickly too for that purpose.

April 3, 2013 1:45 PM

Review by Wenchy68 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have severe anxiety and have been taking Gabapentin for a week, gradually building up to 3 x 300mg a day. Within an hour of taking it I notice a heady, slightly drunk sensation and feel a little 'high', but this passes and I'm finding my thoughts are more organized, I have more energy and I can get more things done. Because I'm more active during the day, I am sleeping better and longer at night. My heart is no longer continually racing, and my chest pains have diminished. Another good thing is that these tablets do not make you feel desensitized, or like a zombie. All in all I would say these are definitely working for me.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2013 3:15 AM

Review by nina72:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been on Neurontin for fibromyalgia pain, and sciatica nerve pain for several months. I can truly say it is a miracle for me. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, and when I do, I feel like I have been hit by a truck. When I take my Neurontin,(600mg 3 x a day) I feel so much better. I have energy to get things done, and it makes the stiffness I feel in my muscles relax more to ease the pain. I have gained a little weight on this medicine, but when the warmer weather hits, I am going to try and get outside and get some exercise. It helps with my high anxiety levels as well, and my psych doc told me that this is a wonderful medicine for anxiety and depression as well. I consider it my miracle pill.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 1:06 PM

Review by lindsay.valentina:

For Anxiety: I just started this medication yesterday. I am taking it for anxiety, insomnia, neuropathy .I was relying heavily on benzodiazapines to curb extreme, constant anxiety accompanied by constant low- level pain. It's been 24 hours and so far it's like a miracle. I don't feel the need for Klonopin or ibuprofen. If it stays like this, I'll be very happy.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2013 3:04 PM

Review by wickedweasle:

For Anxiety: I have been on it for two days now and it has helped me already. This medicine is great. I do feel a little fogging but I hope that will go away after I am used to it. I am taking 600mg 3 times a day.

March 17, 2013 2:36 PM

Review by scarlet1234&67:

For Migraine: I started having having headaches everyday then boom migraine. I was on Topamax they kept upping it. I would wake up with a headache go to bed with one. Then I had a horrible migraine lasted 6 weeks, so they added gabapentin I currently take 1600 mg and 200 mg Topamax but the gabapentin saved me. I do experience side effects like word issues or mood.. but without it I couldn't go to the store even with sun glasses without throwing up. I had to leave my job of ten yrs. I am disabled and I have the side effects but I can go outside now and the pain is manageable.

March 16, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by MustangDave:

For Bipolar Disorder: After 31 years of being treated for depression with a panic disorder, and constantly complaining that the diagnosis was wrong, I found a doctor that figured it out. She diagnosed me with Cyclothymia (a form of bipolar disorder). She took me off of SSRI's and started me on Gabapentin. WOW. I feel like a normal person (I think). I'm calm. So far no panic attacks. The fog has lifted. I feel like I'm actually in the room. It's too bad that it took 31 years of my life for the medical community to figure it out, but better late than never.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2013 2:12 PM

Review by Shae M:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking 100mg at night for four days. Yesterday I tapered up too another 100mg in the morning. I just want to say from the first night, I have slept better than ever. I wake up feeling rested (not completely but hey) and just generally feeling better, less achy. Even my mood.

March 14, 2013 1:44 PM

Review by Kathy29 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: 600 mg three times a day. I was taking Gabapentin for 3 years but I stopped it because it has too many side effects, including numbness on my whole body, weight gain is a major fact, more headache than usual, sleepy, tired, active but with a tingling sensation on my tongue and so on, depression when I didn't take it, intolerable, anxiety, sweats, withdrawal symptoms, but it does help with pain and many things but the consequences of it are horrible. Memory loss is another fact, definitely, is a very dangerous medication.

March 2, 2013 1:06 PM

Review by LaSharon:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Gabapentin for herniated disks & nerve damage, I'm amazed at how it's helped me with hot flashes & mood swings. I have been miserable for years hormone therapy didn't work and I was just plain horrible to be around I couldn't stand myself how could anyone else? Now I'm balanced mentally I don't overreact and I don't break out in a sweat the moment my head hits the pillow so I'm getting a good nights sleep, when I read it was used for seizures I was afraid to take it fearing it would cause me to have seizures but that hasn't happened and I've been taking it for 6 months, it's been a positive life changing experience for me and everyone else who knows me. I only wish I'd of been prescribed it sooner, I'm 61.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2013 7:11 PM

Review by San Benito:

For Pain: I have been taking it for almost a year, but only two at night 300mg each. I still have the back pain during the day, my doctor told me to increase it to one in the morning and two at night. But I have not try that because of the sight effect. At night I sleep like a baby, so I do not know how I will feel if I took it in the morning.

February 5, 2013 11:17 AM

Review by mauitilly (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I have had problems with severe anxiety for years..I tried to self medicate with so many things. I use this with Benadryl and love how calm I feel!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by gimpy gypsy (taken for 10 years or more):

For Epilepsy: I've been on this medicine for 10 yrs now and have my seizures under control with 1200 mg a day a neurologist placed me on it after trying Dilantan and Depakote. I didn't realize it could be helping my anxiety and restless legs and migraines. I had terrible headaches before I was on gababentin and now have all these things under control. I did gain 30lbs when we added a antidepressant.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 1:45 PM

Review by HiThereMyExperience:

For Migraine: In August 2012 my migraines suddenly got disabling! It was constant and horrible! I saw a neurologist in early Dec. and he ordered Gabapentin, starting at 1 pill and then increasing weekly up to 4 pills. It's mid January and I am still only taking 2 pills because I am always tired and a little nauseated. I need to increase it though because, as another reviewer said, it makes everything "muted" but not completely. I have had some migraines but nothing horrible like before. So for that reason - this medication is wonderful! But I have one side effect that I wonder if it is from gabapentin - I feel extremely mean and annoyed. It's very noticeable to my family. Has anyone else had this side effect?

January 18, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by Clouise:

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: The medicine was prescribed for diabetic neuropathy of the feet, it worked in alleviating the pain in my feet. I gained weight while taking it but did not know why. About 3 months ago I stopped it and since then I have lost 25 lbs not trying to lose weight. I do have a little problem of insomnia since stopping but not enough to take a sleeping pill. I wish I had known about the weight loss from stopping the medicine before now as I thought there was really something wrong with me while dropping the weight.

January 14, 2013 12:04 AM

Review by Wally52 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I was diagnosed with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy 8 months ago. My neurologist first prescribed Cymbalta. It had no effect. He then prescribed Neurontin (initially 300mg). After 1 day I notice relief for the pain in my hands, arms, feet, and legs. I was also able to sleep through the night. I am presently taking 600 mg. After 2 weeks on Neurontin the pain is not gone but is 75% reduced.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by Bipolar wife in Atlanta (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: For a long time I have believed that I was bipolar but never took medicine for it. A couple years ago I started taking gabapentin for a herniated disk. I immediately noticed a feel good feeling. That is now the main reason I continue to take it. People are warned to not stop taking this abruptly..THEY MEAN IT! I recently had surgery to remove my fibroids and I stopped taking gabapentin due to all the other medicines I was having to take. Shortly after stopping abruptly my husband said something to me I didn't like that hurt my feelings and I THREW A PLATE OF FOOD AT HIM! I have never in my life done this. Afterwards I found out that anxiety is also a symptom of abruptly stopping meds. Make sure to wean off slowly.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2013 9:14 PM

Review by Frenchfry (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Well to make the back story brief. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. Was put on Neurontrin it worked so well. I managed to get off it for years but recently I was put on it with Ativan. I'm at 200 twice a day and 300mg at night. I still get physical symptoms so next week I will up to 300mg three times a day. It worked before so hoping it does again. I've not been working or going anywhere because of this bad relapse. I have to also wean off Ativan at same time and use only this for panic. I'll keep posted as how its working.

January 6, 2013 9:09 PM

Review by 3feathers (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: My psychiatrist started me on Gabapentin for anxiety almost a year ago and it's been a lifesaver. I had no idea how prevalent my anxiety had become until the Gabapentin somehow calmed it down. The constant bouncing of my legs, the tapping of my fingers, the repetitive rhythmic stuff going on in my head and body and the crippling anxiety all just calmed down or went away. I started at 100mg 3x a day and have now settled into a very comfortable 300mg 3x a day. A little drowsiness at first but my body has adjusted and now I feel no side-effects at all. When I wake up in the morning and the Gabapentin is out of my system I'm immediately aware of the anxiety again but it quickly goes away once I take my morning dose.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2013 12:59 PM

Review by lops:

For Hot Flashes: I was prescribed gabapentin two years ago to help with night sweats, coincidentally I noticed that having always had mild to moderate anxiety I was much calmer and only became anxious as a result of a problem or crisis. recently I had an illness with nausea and loss of appetite, so stopped all my medications for 2 weeks. My anxiety went through the roof with panic attacks almost constantly, I have since found stopping Gabapentin abruptly is a no no, I took one 300mg last night and feel like my old self already, having had a nights sleep, after 2 weeks of insomnia. I think Gabapentin works extremely well, and I have no side effects. I hope my Dr doesn't ever want me to stop taking them, but if he does I now know it has to be a gradual process.

January 2, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Moo moo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I have severe neuropathy in my feet, legs, and hands. Now that I'm on 800mg 3x a day my pain is not gone but it eases enough that I can tolerate it. I have no insurance and go to our local Health Department for. medicine so the Gabapentin is my only pain reliever. Thanks for this medication.

December 31, 2012 12:47 AM

For Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety disorder and Panic Disorder going on ten years now. I've been on Zoloft the entire time. I had a bad relapse of symptoms this year while on Zoloft. I bumped it up to 200 mg and began taking Gabapentin 300mg/day. I've been doing better, but I'm still working on getting my confidence up after this recent relapse. Last week I started having anxiety symptoms for a couple of days, so I bumped the Gabapentin to 600mg/day. My anxiety is now better so far. I've noticed a side effect on this dose that I didn't get on the 300 mg... I've had spells of depression the past few days. I think those will pass as my body becomes used to the new dose. Depression is listed as a possible side effect. I just hope this medicine doesn't poop out on me.

December 23, 2012 8:12 PM

Review by BunnyHere (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: After decades of battling post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety, I finally have found a medication that helps to calm the revved feeling I constantly battle. It is not complete gone, but I feel as if I can breathe again. The tightness in my chest has reduced and my upper back no longer hurts because I can relax my shoulders. It is as if someone has loosened their grip on a rubber band! Best of all, self-help techniques, like relaxation, now work!! Gabapentin has helped me to feel like I have a fighting chance against anxiety.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2012 9:48 PM

Review by Amanday (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've had anxiety for a years, and panic a lot. I lost my job and partner in the same week (2 weeks before Xmas). Took my first tablet 4 hours ago and already I can think straight, concentrate, and I'm not up tight! Clearheaded.

December 6, 2012 2:04 PM