User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 7)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 965 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Neuropathic Pain: "Mostly I feel confident about taking Gabapentin. I am on a small dose, 100mg 2/day. Occasionally I get twitchy feet and/or hands plus mild shakes like tremors. This does worry me but it doesn't happen too often. I did put it down to when I double my usual intake of alcohol. It takes a couple of days to get back on track. It is depressing that there are people out there worse off than me"

Chronic Back Sufferer December 2, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "UPDATE: It worked for about a month and a half and then stopped working. Fiddling with the dose didn't help. Then I tried to stop taking it and felt bad so had to go back on and taper off very slowly. I had terrible withdrawal symptoms including mental issues and increased pain. I started in April and now its almost December. Most of that time I've been withdrawing. I've gained 70 pounds!!! Reducing the dose has not reduced the weight. This is the only drug I have ever had dependancy issues with. I will never take it again."

dresan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I also have been resistant to many of the drugs that Doctors prescribed. I have also paid dearly for some of the side effects. I only speak for myself, this drug has been a miracle for me."

Johnny Dev November 28, 2015

For Migraine: "My neurologist prescribed me this drug at 600mg at night for my chronic, daily migraines and it is quite literally, a god send. It helms with migraine prevention, anxiety, and even helped with my chronic pelvic pain before my hysterectomy! Taken w/ my 100mg of Topamax, I get maybe one or two migraines a MONTH! I used to have DAILY migraines that required Toradol and Phenergan injections to kill. I will say the only downside was that I gained a pound or two but nothing exercise can't squash. Overall, GREAT drug. Highly recommended if you suffer from chronic migraines!!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have been taking 600mg two hours before bedtime for a few years now for burning feet at night. It usually works quite well. I have not had to increase my dosage and I have no side effects other than it makes me sleepy which is great at night."

Inthewoods2 November 26, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "I experienced progressively worsening and frequent nerve pain shooting down both of my legs. I had almost immediate relief with Gabapentin. And for the first time in months, I was able to sleep throughout the night. It was a miracle drug for me. I got up to 900mg 3x/day. However, I also experience an array of side effects. I always feel exhausted to the point that it makes it difficult to do daily activities. I gained 30+ lbs in a few short months... and I have bad acne for the first time ever. I've started tapering back down and realize that I have more energy.. we'll see about the other side effects now. It's a balancing act between the side effects and pain."

MoRoRi November 25, 2015

For Pain: "I ruptured L5/S1 disc at work (I'm 58 years old). Nothing seemed to help with the pain until I asked about Gabapentin and started taking 300 mg three times a day along with Ibuprofen 600 mg. It does help a lot but only when I combine it with Ibuprofen...without I really don't get relief. It does take some time for your body to adjust to it - I felt very foggy, and drugged. I had trouble forming sentences for almost 2 weeks. It's a lot better now."

kayakd (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "Took for ankle pain.900mg daily After thirty days thought I was going insane.made me forgetful ,edgey,aggresive."

nogaba (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a little over a month ago. I originally went into see my rheumatologist to check up on my RA. My doctor prescribed me the 100 mg Gabapentin. At first I had absolutely no problems with taking it besides the fact that it didn't help with any pain or muscle/joint tenderness/weakness. Now, after little over a month of taking it, I have been experiencing a lot of chest pain/tenderness and pressure, like it's tight. It makes it feel so hard to breathe, making the tightness worse. I have gained about 5-6pounds and my stomach has never felt so bloated and ridiculously uncomfortable. I've also been staying up all hours of the night l because when I take this medicine, I can't sleep."

Angeames November 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've always been an anxious person who stays in a state of mania and the drops into depression. This medication is basically a miracle. It works immediately and I've been taking it for 3 months now with virtually no side effects. I don't have racing thoughts any more and my heart doesn't race a mile a minute. I have reacted to stressful situations a lot more rationally and calmly than I ever have in my life. I am also just starting to take Lamicatal. I believe the combinations is really effective. I also sleep so well and don't feel groggy in the morning! Really give it a shot."

Jepper November 19, 2015

For Anxiety: "Gabapentin is a miracle worker. While I was suffering with depression and severe anxiety, I was against taking any type of medications to help me however things were starting to get out control. I am very happy with how things are now. My mood swings are finally under control and I am to think clearer than ever before."

Fitnurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Not helping me I'm in terrible pain, unbearable at times"

Chris64 November 15, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I'm taking 1800 mg a day for neuropathy from chemo (xoplatin). It doesn't work"

socalcoast2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Been in gabapentin now for 5 months for my fibromyalgia I'm up to 2700mgs a day and I can honestly say I have absolutely no relief whatsoever from this drug and my pain seems to be getting worse. My sleeping is shocking some weeks I'm lucky to have 15-18hrs a week. I have headaches and my legs, arms, fingers, back hips and neck are agony. It's 2yrs since I've been diagnosed plus the 8 months waiting for the diagnosis and every drug I've had prescribed hasn't helped"

Crazycuttz November 15, 2015

For Burning Mouth Syndrome: "Right now I feel like my blood has been drained from my body. Each morning I feel faint and my legs feel like jelly. Should I continue with this med. Taking 300 mg. Per day."

antem (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have GAD stemming from PTSD due to trauma in my past. I've been taking all sorts of medication for it for years, including Klonopin which I did not realize was habit forming until after I started taking it. Then, last year, I switched doctors, and she refuses to prescribe benzos, especially since I had a problem with alcohol abuse. Last month, she prescribed me Neurontin and I thought it wouldn't work, so I put off getting the script filled. But then it got to the point where I couldn't live with the anxiety so I went and got the script filled just to give it a shot and I'm so amazed at the difference it makes. I do not feel anxiety at all anymore and even though it makes me kind of foggy, I can still function. I love this med."

OleYelir (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "I have suffered from chronic pain since I was 19. I've taken just about everything available to treat this curse. After about 5 years of refusing Gabapentin, I finally tried it. Don't let the side effects scare you, try it for at least a week and let your body and mind get used to it. This stuff really works for pain relief. Also, the combination of this with your narcotic pain relievers will help greatly. The key to treating pain is moderation and avoiding alchohol. I have had great success combining my pain reliever with this and Naproxen or APAP. Help with depression , mood and sleeping. Some side effects can be dizziness. As your body gets used to this it will start working subtly and relieve your pain and help you rest."

Qualistat November 12, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "Suffered from severe RlS and hyperactivity for most of my life. It effects all of my immediate male family members and initially clonazepam was like a miracle cure. However I'm not happy taking benzodiazepines daily so i self - prescribed Gabapentin with my doctors knowledge. It works even better than the clonazepam and gives me absolutely amazing sleep too. Only drawback it can negatively effect my cognition so I have to get the balance right with the dosage. NHS have now agreed to prescribe."

Lawro83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

For Anxiety: "Gabapentin alleviated my intense anxiety I was suffering 24/7 from peri-menopause. Before being prescribed Gabapentin, I was an emotional wreck. It has also stabilized my moods."

Madbeach (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I am in my late 20's and have had restless legs since my late teens. I have been on Gabapentin now for about 2.5 years and it has been wonderful. RLS stopped almost immediately (to my memory). For whatever reason, the RLS comes back periodically and I have to tweak the dosage a bit. At first I increased (at the doc's request) but soon reached my 1800 maximum dosage, 600mg 3x day. When symptoms popped up again I stopped taking the GP all together; believing that it had stopped working. Later in desperation, I took some leftover GP and it worked again. Now I try to stay at a low 300mg dose and take another 300-600 if I feel that familiar RLS itch as I’m settling in."

NNAAMM November 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Along with Lexapro this medication is a wonder drug for my depression. It helps me with social interaction. So happ y I found this med."

F1REBRIDE November 8, 2015

For Pain: "Pain associated with shingles. I think the pain was lessened due to the drug but due to the crazy mental side effects I stopped taking it within a week even though my shingles lasted several weeks. It wasn't worth the side effects."

Ed N November 7, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "Gabapentin actually causes restless leg syndrome for me. Have had 2 L45 surgeries and have taken gabapentin for pain with little relief and side effect of restless legs."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 4, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I started feeling deep hot bone pain about 3 month ago and got worse and worse. My boyfriend took me to a Rheumatologist. All she did was touch my body at certain points. I said "Oh, that feels good" and right away she knew it was fibromyalgia. My dosage has been raised 3 times and now taking 800mg 3x a day. Then I read it cause weight gain (gasp). I wish I didn't read that part but overall today the fog is lifting and I have little pain here and there but I take Subutex for that. I am also on dextroamphetamine for the chronic fatigue and helps a lot. Besides I've been diagnosed with ADHD."

Sophia Maggie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have a diagnosis of Bipolar 1 spectrum that has been classified as treatment resistant as no meds have allowed for me to have much success without dire side effects or polarizing symptoms. I was put on 100mg. 3 times a day. After 4 years of major rapid cycling mood symptoms Gabapentin worked immediately with no side effects. Its so strange to wake up feeling great and to go to sleep at night feeling great. I even have made many new friends and had several job offers since I started this miracle drug. No depression or mania for 2 weeks. So incredibly grateful"

circusmgurcus (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2015