User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 293 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 677 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Migraine: "I have experienced crippling pain that left me hungover. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and the migraines have stopped, so have the leg cramps."

Not Hurting (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2014

For Occipital Neuralgia: "Sciatica pain and related SEVERE knee pain is almost completely gone after two days."

CasaCurry June 18, 2014

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have been taking Gabapentin for about two weeks now, starting at 300mg at night which knocked me out! I had been having terrible pain in hips and legs, and sciatic pain at night, and tingling/ numbness in hands in the morning. It made me sleepy the first week but now starting to get used to it. Still a little clumsy but getting better. Now increased dose to 300mg at bedtime and 300mg in the morning after breakfast. I feel so much better now. Side effects other than sleepiness are not apparent so I am much encouraged. Thank you Gabapentin!"

tryingabapentin (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "I have been dealing with thigh pain/numbness and tingles for almost two years from a pinched nerve in my thigh and lower back. Doctors always say LOSE WEIGHT! Well easier said than done. I am not that over weight. Finally met with a SMART neurologist. He said throw away the meds they had me on before which did nothing but MAKE me gain weight (Nortriptyline). He put me on Gabapentin 800mg. I was told to take half tablet three times a day unless I needed more, which I don't. It has been three days..First time in almost two years I sleep through the night because the irritation is GONE. I sleep all night like a baby, wake up refreshed, have ZERO pain in my leg. My coworkers say I am pleasant now. I have NO anxiety now as well! LOVE IT!"

Ash-Happy! June 12, 2014

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have never in my 30 years of living been so happy & alive thanks to the gabapentin and lithium my psychiatrist put me on almost 3 months ago. Going back to my inpatient stay in March- I was suicidal because I didn't think there was any other way out of the pain and burden of being anxious 24/7. It paralyzed me. I felt helpless. Now, I go to the gym, play with my son more, preform better at work, and all my relationships are much better. I can actually think to communicate. Also, I don't go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds anymore. I'm like "I got this. Just breathe" I can't even make myself anxious anymore. I've tried. I am on 3000mg a day of Gabapentin (5-600mg pills a day) and 600mg of Lithium (2-300mg pills a day). True Happiness!"

Blessed_to_be_here (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2014

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have had trigeminal neuralgia for about six years, I am 32. Luckily for me the pain has been bearable and I felt I had not needed medication until this year (2014) when the pain became really agonizing. I have been pain free since starting the med. Every now and then I will get a little twitch or pinch from the trigeminal nerve, but nothing like the shooting pain I was having before. I take 300mg every night before bed. Recently, there was a mix up with the prescription refill and my insurance, and due to these circumstances I went about a week without taking the medication. The trigeminal pain slowly came back and became more and more intense during the time I had run out. This medicine is great, pain went away soon after taking it again."

Hello415 June 4, 2014

For Hot Flashes: "I've only had 2 hot flashes since I started this. What a HUGE relief!"

Kelita715 (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Gabapentin has saved my life! Like everyone else I was experiencing a lot of anxiety & wanted something non habit forming and addictive. This makes me feel calm about an hour after taking. No more anxious thoughts & irritation. Wonderful medication I can't stress that enough!"

Rosiecoco June 1, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Gabapentin makes me feel better. I take it everyday, two times a day. I have bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and severe anxiety. Gabapentin, along with Risperidal, help me feel normal."

Faceless May 30, 2014

For Anxiety: "I was originally prescribed Gabapentin for internal nerve damage due to extensive colon cancer surgery. It has been about 75% effective in relieving this pain. To my surprise, it has also helped in other ways I was never expecting. I have a pretty laid back personality (I thought) but after taking Gabapentin for pain relief, I began noticing a calming effect overtake me - just relaxed. I used to get lots of negative thoughts come to my mind which I would fight off but now I don't even go there! My husband has really noticed a difference in my upbeat attitude towards life and after a year of radiation, chemo, surgery etc... it is a wonderful surprise to him also! As a side note - I am also sleeping great and wake up refreshed."

mcb70 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2014

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have suffered with lumber degenerative disc disease at L5, L4, L3, spinal instability and prolapsed discs at L5 and L4 since being first diagnosed officially in approx 2006 resulting in chronic low back pain and sciatica. I had a discetomy and laminectomy at L5 / L4 but the surgery failed 7 weeks out of surgery. I had nerve impingment at multiple levels including left, right and central prolapses (again) with slight neural compression along with narrowing of the neural foramina and lateral recess on both sides. In plain English = I could not not walk. After trying everything else, they put me on Gabapentin. I am now on 3600mg / day and I went from being unable to walk or stand to walking and being almost pain free after 1 week, Miracle!"

sturnell (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at the start of the year having suffered with severe neck and upper back pain. The deep pain especially in the upper back right in between the shoulder blades was unbearable most of the time. I had the symptoms for over 2 years before the diagnosis and had almost 80 sessions of treatment with 11 different therapists. Anyway started taking duloxetine, gabapentin and Cocodamol in January. Started gabapentin at 300 mg a day and built up to 1800mg a day by the end of March. Over the last few weeks I feel that I am starting to get my life back. Not totally pain free but I now have spells where the pain is bearable. So if you have just started on this, be patient and fingers crossed you will get relief."

Deep pains May 26, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been unable to tolerate any if the other mood stabilizers I have been on. Gabapentin 900 mg daily was my initial dosage and I felt relief from my severe anxiety and irritability for the first couple days, then it subsided and only helped calm it down somewhat. I just saw doc today & it's going up to 1800 mg daily. Hopefully I can feel more normal again."

Christy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2014

For Pain: "I have been dealing with right leg pain for over 8 months, tried chiropractor, physical therapy massage, epidural shots after MRI showed narrowing of the spine where the sciatic nerve runs through. Went to specialist starting me on Gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day now. Been on it for 6 days now with one of my Zipsor 25mg every now and then not every 4 hrs like before, feeling much better so far. Still have some pain but tolerable! Love the Gapapentin, was a little drowsy first couple of days now I'm fine. My miracle -No surgery for now! "

Doodle lane1966 May 18, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine: "Great medicine--I tried tons of other treatments and was down to my last option, I was at 300 MG and it started to work with few side effects besides increased appetite and a little more tired at first-a lifesaver!"

Sindell (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2014

For Insomnia: "Helps with insomnia if I take it with other sedatives. Initially I found it very stimulating. I have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, irritable bowel syndrome-D, depression and anxiety. I take 500mg in total throughout the day. My main reason for reporting my experience is that it helps so much with my IBS-D. I have taken many anti-diarrhoea medicines with little effect.I can now eat foods that caused cramping and urgent diarrhoea. I now also take laxatives every day. I much prefer trying to manage constipation than the uncontrollable urgent diarrhoea. The IBS-D has been so crippling and I have had it for more than 25yrs. It started very soon after I had my severe viral infection that caused the CFS/ME"

Stevedin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2014

For Anxiety: "I have had periodic depression for years, and general anxiety problems as well, lately they had been getting worse. I cannot tolerate the SSRI anti-depressants, can't even tell any effect when I take Buspar, was taking Clonazepam when things got really bad. I went back to see a Dr. I have great respect for, had another QEEG, he said I have a "fast brain" (Gross CNS hyperarousal). Started me on 300 mg Gabapentin at bedtime. Noticed a calming, mellowing effect the first day. Before I could not stop my mind from racing, from obsessing, and would get almost paralyzed to do anything. I feel so much better, my mind is calm, depression is lifted, and no side effects other than a very, very slight fogginess. So far, for me - amazing."

JMWJ May 6, 2014

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was on and happy using SEROQUEL for sleep and was highly skeptical about trying GABA. I tried many other medicines to combat insomnia and they all proved not to work. I was pleasantly surprised how GABA worked. It helps keep me in very deep sleep for 6 hours. After that I wake up, but can easily get to sleep. The dreams are very vivid, but not unpleasant. I had to tweak my dosage however. I'm now at 1200 mg at night and sleep with total ease. Full disclosure, my insomnia has roots in anxiety, so this medicine proved to be effective because it helps with Anxiety too. I'm happy!"

Flip Mo Better (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2014

For Neuropathic Pain: "Nerve damage to my back occurred as a result of car accident. Nerve misfiring occurred. Electrical stabs of pain of varying degrees occurred randomly throughout my body. When falling asleep, electrical activity picked up such that I had to restrain my arms and legs and head. It took 3500mg/day to suppress the pain. No side effects. I sold my car and walked for years as my body gradually healed and the dosage required dropped eventually to zero. A second type of nerve pain coexisted that Neurontin did not touch, a burning pain that occurred all over my body. By chance (thx Docs) I discovered that Valium works very well in suppressing this type of nerve pain. Also might try a combo of Neurontin and med marijuana and walking."

Pink Lily (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2014

For Anxiety: "When my doctor first prescribed gabapentin, normally a seizure medicine, for my anxiety, I was a little confused. She explained to me that if you look at 2 brain scans, one patient with seizures, and one with anxiety, the damage in their brain is very similar. Within a week, I was able to feel a dramatic difference with my anxiety. Within a month, I truly felt "normal" again. I LOVE what this medication does for me, and it's made a huge impact on my daily life. I take one 300mg tablet in the morning, and two at night, and I have a very mild twitch that it's also helped to relieve as an extra plus."

Ashley M (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 25, 2014

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I was on Gabapentin and there was 3 other medications that caused some of the same side effects and after a few years it stopped helping. I stopped it for about 2 months and now the pain in my legs are back. I started taking 2 capsules a day and the pain in my legs are a lot better. Problem is the unsteadiness, can't hold things and drop them, This is after I took it for one day and this is happening on day two. May just take it when the pain becomes unbearable. I get it from the VA so I don't know if they have any other medication that treats the same problem and if so will ask to be given it for awhile to see if it works. VA covers my expense after billing my outside insurance first then cover the rest for service connected."

Screwyjohn62649 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2014

For Pain: "I have suffered from the pain of arthritis and disc degeneration in my lower back and neck. I also have fibromyalgia. As if that wasn't enough, I have been recently diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder. This medication has been great for me. I've only been on it for 4 days and already my pain has been greatly reduced. I haven't had to take any Percocet which is great. I have had to take a couple Tylenol. It has also really helped reduce my anxiety and depression. I really hope it keeps working. I take 300 mg about 1 PM and two 300 mg capsules at night. Side effects are minimal. I'm still a bit drowsy in the morning but it's nothing a good cup of coffee won't cure. It has been a great medication for me."

Dutch777 April 19, 2014

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I took Gabapentin for the usual depression/anxiety combination. It helped my anxiety SO much and I was a new person on it. The only reason I had to go off of it was because I have Interstitial Cystitis and the Gabapentin acted as a bladder irritant to my condition. Other than it worsened my interstitial cystitis, this medication was pretty flawless."

ThisIsPatrick (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I had two major surgeries last year. A total hip and a total knee while in rehab for the total knee. I started experiencing diabetic neuropathy. The doctor gave me 900 mgs daily for it. I can tell you it was a great improvement and was very pleased. The 1st of the year I tried a herbal medicine and it didn't work. I did give it a month. I am now back on the gabapentin. I am so thankful for it, never will I go without it."

JimNashville (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2014

For Insomnia: "Just started Neurontin 2 days ago. Dose is 200mg. It has worked wonders for me."

sogap34 April 13, 2014