User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 7)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 988 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Hot Flashes: "I've been literally suffering from hot flashes & night sweats for months now. Estroven worked for a minute, but they soon returned, & appeared angry for my trying to get rid of them, lol; they were even more severe. I began taking gabapentin 300mg for something else and noticed the diminishing of the hot flashes. At first, I didn't make the connection. I couldn't wait for the time to take one to have more of the drug in my system. Joking aside, I feel like a renewed person after just 4 days of taking them so yes, I'm a little giddy. :) I did feel a little light-headed after the very first pill, but not since then. I have also experienced no other side effects so I'm just so grateful to feel normal again. Its been awful, especially in public."

gatweet (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I can't describe how great the sleep is now that the RLS is gone."

tom2234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 31, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I feel that this medication has given my life back to me. They increased my dosage to 600 mg's once in the morning and at night. Than 900 mg's at bedtime. I feel the medication has helped my anxiety and my RLS. I also noticed an increased in sex drive. Side effect maybe. But, not a bad one. Now, my RLS has gone down I feel I can better handle the daily effect's of it because it's not fun to have."

Jillian 005 December 30, 2015

For Insomnia: "This was the miracle drug to help get me through the hot flashes and insomnia associated with menopause. It also helped my anxious insomniac daughter. I take 300mg every night before bed."

J and M December 30, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "I've been taking Gabapentin for neuropathy in my left knee due to a 7.62mm round blew up my knee in combat. It works great. I also take MS Contin 100 mg. in order for me to have enough comfort for a bulging disc in my neck due to a roll over Humm-Vee. If I was not wearing my kevlar it could have been much worse. Probably be a quadriplegic. I'm also suffering from Bipolar I, GAD,SAD, PTSD & Panic Disorder. So on top of pain meds and a lot of psych meds. This dose of 900mg. b.i.d. has helped tremendously. I need to try some Lyrica a.k.a. "super gabapentin"."

Morrisseyjunkie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on gabapentin for two weeks now. I'm on 300mg three times a day. It took about a few days for it to start working. But I have to say that this med works! If I do not take it or if I'm getting close to my next dose. I start to feel depressed. I love taking this. It really does help for headache pain, and mood. I got this for depression. Because i do suffer from depression and anxiety a lot. It seems to help with the depression but not anxiety. If anything it makes me more happier. More calmer and more relaxed. I have gotten dependent on this drug for my mood. It doesn't make me sleepy at all. My body has gotten use to taking it. I don't see myself getting off of this. I enjoy being relaxed and feeling calm."

Nyomi Mckenzie December 27, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "I have been prescribed gabapentin medreich only last week. Due to having a lot of problems with tingling sensation in right foot which got so bad was unable to sleep since having spinal fusion back in March but I have to many problems since my op to many to list. However since taking these tablets 200mg 3x a day I have no energy, sleeping all the time and I have since developed pins n needles on right side of face which that had me worried as never had this before. I'm just wonderring if anyone else has had this"

neecake December 23, 2015

For Anxiety: "I am 40 years old. I have dealt with social anxiety since my teen years. I have been on Wellbutrin XR 150 mg twice daily for several months, which has given me energy, improved mood, and increase sex drive. I started gabapentin a couple weeks ago for pain relief related to a slipped disc impinging nerves in my back, sciatica. I am taking 600 mg tthree times a day. I am amazed!! Social anxiety is gone! First time in my life. I have actually been chatty and social without breaking into a sweat from nerves. Also haven't reached for my when required Ativan at all since starting gabapentin. I couldn't be happier about this accidental discovery. Life changing. Also note that I am a recovering alcoholic. Maybe defective gaba has been the culprit?"

Jenny-;) December 22, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I was offered gabapentin for nerve pain in my chest. Having had hot flushes and night sweats completely taking over and affectly so many areas of my life, after only a couple of days taking the gabapentin, the flushes stopped!!! I had been suffering for 3 years having gone through treatment for breast cancer at 45. Due to the amount of pain, my GP had me in 1x300mg 4 times aday. Downside was for the first 3-4 weeks (also because it was a high dose), I felt very drowsy, unable to concentrate, so also unable to drive. I was off work anyway, so was able to cope ok. This only lasted the 2 weeks. My GP had discussed the side affects before hand. I had been on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine 2x1 daily but didn't feel it helped that much. live with in UK."

Ginger June (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with RSD on Tuesday. The doctor prescribed me Gabapentin. I'm only taking 1 pill per day for the first week, then taking 2 a day for a week, then moving up to 3 per day. So far, after only taking this pill once a day for 4 days I have seen a huge improvement with my affected foot. My range of motion has increased (with the help of physical therapy) and the constant burning pain has gone down from a pain level of 5 to a 2! The crazy electrical "zaps" and "zings" have been happening less and are not as intense. I feel way more calm and confident mentally and emotionally. However, the tissue, muscle, and deep bone aches are still severe, but I'm hoping that will subside as I start to raise my dosage. I like these pills so far!"

poor purple foot (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have been taking Gabapentin since the 22nd November and am currently on 900mgs 4 x a day along with co-codamol (30mgs of codeine & 500mg paracetamol) for Neuropathic nerve pain and damaged nerves in my left ankle. At first it worked really well but its been almost 4 weeks now since I started taking it and the pain has returned both during the day and breakthrough pain at night. The pain is horrendous with shooting pain up and down my leg with a burning sensation especially at night! It is really making me fed up and is affecting my work - is there anything else out there that would be better to take and will work for this problem!!! Its driving me mad as I have to work and the pain can be just too much."

Not Amused December 18, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I've been on Neurontin for over 2 years now, 3200 mg daily / 800 mg four times daily. It is the only medication that effectively controls the idiopathic neuropathy in my feet. Lyrica was totally ineffective. I experienced serious "brain fog" fatigue and short-term memory problems when I started Neurontin but these side effects are now manageable. Neurontin has restored my quality of life to near normal."

Brian7333 December 17, 2015

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I've detoxed several times. The last one was really bad. This time My Dr. put me gabapentin 300 mg. 3 times a day and Lithium. I usually suffer withdrawals for 5-7 days. I did have anxiety for two days, but I'm on day 3, no anxiety and no cravings."

Cenizo December 16, 2015

For Anxiety: "I am a recovering drug addict suffering from severe anxiety. My drug of choice was benzos so clearly I cannot be prescribed those (or any other narcotics). While I was in rehab I was prescribed gabapentin, 300 mg pill three times a day. I was convinced that it wouldn't work because it was a non narcotic but this drug has helped me so much, I feel like I have complete control over my anxiety. However when I miss A dose or two in a day I do have withdrawal symptoms.. as long as I take it as prescribed I feel amazing with almost no side effects."

jessicaitod December 15, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "Herniated a disc in my lower back in fall of 2009 (via MRI). Couldn't be out of work 12 weeks going the surgery route. Talked to my Family Doctor....said I could try Gabapentin, but that it doesn't work for everyone. Told him I wanted to try that route. Slow dose build- up...starting with 100 mg morning & night. 100 mg add every 3 days until pain disappears. Got up to 600mg am and 600 mg pm. Pain, numbness, etc...gone. Went off it in 2010 without any remaining symptoms. Moved our house contents again in 2015 and again re-herniated the same disc. Dr. re-prescribed, only this time I had to slowly get the dose up to 1,500 mg twice a day before all pain symptoms were gone. I personally never experienced any of the side effects indicated below."

FloridaBill December 14, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Gabapentin is great for nerve pain. I am a recent amputee due to a fracture that would not heal in my ankle. My surgeon prescribed it for phantom pain. It seemed to do the trick. I take 100mg bid, at breakfast and again at bedtime. I don't take any painkillers what so ever. Pretty good for an amputation that most people would think as being painful."

BobBk (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have degenerative disc disease, sciatica, fibromyalgia, a bulging disc and chronic back pain. I have been on gabapentin for almost 3 years now. I also suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and bipolar 1. This medication is a miracle. I feel better in all aspects. It helps with everything. I'm prescribed 600 mg 3 times per day. I use to be on 900 mg 3 times per day. Was too much. I'm in a much better mood my back feels ten times better and my fibro doesn't flare up as much. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers with these conditions."

Roxydesilvera December 12, 2015

For Pain: "If the purpose the taking gabapentin is to hurl you into a state of psychosis then it gets a ten because this is a very real side effect of this drug. The Pfizer company does not want you to know that it can and has caused many people to go into a psychotic state. Not for a day mind you but for as yet an indeterminate amount of time.They put on the warning do not abruptly stop this medication, but they don't tell you why. "

Butterfly Mom 2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "This drug is amazing. I was unable to sleep more than two hours at a time for over a year now. Within two days of taking this pill, my hot flashes are gone!! I feel fantastic and have experienced no side effects"

Reptyle35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Gabapentin, I take for my bipolar depression and anxiety. The med lifted my deep depression and my anxiety vanished. I could functional at a normal level in society again, my concentration probs were helped greatly ! However, despite the great results, the med caused horrific hot flashes and profuse sweating and I had a full hysterectomy in 2004, which I had menopausal hot flashes/profuse sweating, then they vanished until I took Gabapentin !! Med is great 4 bipolar symptoms & anxiety, clarity of the mind, but, beware !! May cause debilitating and very miserable times of constant hot flashes and profuse sweating, day & night, followed by moments of freezing ! Hot & cold from one minute 2 the next, all day & all night."

kimmurdaugh (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

For Anxiety: "Was prescribed this med years ago for anxiety. I take 300 mg three times per day. morning, noon, and night.The doctor is about to up the dose a bit because I've been on the same dose for so long, and sometimes I get extra anxious or can't sleep so asked if I could have the option to take an extra when I need it. This medication is amazing... I can't say enough about it to be honest. It has helped me so much live my life without that constant nagging anxiety, social awkwardness, and it helps regulate my moods as well !"

Lizzo December 5, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine: "I've had migraines for about 6 years. I take Fioricet for pain management, which works well, but I wanted to try preventing migraines altogether instead of treating them with painkillers, so my doctor prescribed Gabapentin. After about 2 or 3 days, I started to notice side-effects of blurred vision, so much that I couldn't read text in my web browser. It wasn't drowsy or light-headed, but more as if my eyes simply couldn't focus at the correct depth. I also noticed I was extremely clumsier, banging my knees, elbows, and shins on everything until I was covered in bruises. After a month of taking it, I saw no change in the frequency nor intensity of my migraines (I keep a pain log to make sure), so I stopped"

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

For Anxiety: "Ok, Gabapentin worked fine for me for anxiety. But I was un aware of the ridiculous side effects it comes with. I was 160lb male, which I was happy with. Unexpectedly I kept gaining weight that I was un aware of. From 160lbs, now I'm 245lbs!!! That's 85lbs I gained within just 8 months!! I tried to stop taking it for just 1 day, and I went into SEVERE withdrawal. It felt worse than both opiate and benzo withdrawal!! Stay away from this drug!"

Klonazepam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "Mostly I feel confident about taking Gabapentin. I am on a small dose, 100mg 2/day. Occasionally I get twitchy feet and/or hands plus mild shakes like tremors. This does worry me but it doesn't happen too often. I did put it down to when I double my usual intake of alcohol. It takes a couple of days to get back on track. It is depressing that there are people out there worse off than me"

Chronic Back Sufferer December 2, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "UPDATE: It worked for about a month and a half and then stopped working. Fiddling with the dose didn't help. Then I tried to stop taking it and felt bad so had to go back on and taper off very slowly. I had terrible withdrawal symptoms including mental issues and increased pain. I started in April and now its almost December. Most of that time I've been withdrawing. I've gained 70 pounds!!! Reducing the dose has not reduced the weight. This is the only drug I have ever had dependancy issues with. I will never take it again."

dresan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2015