User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 613 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by Tyroli:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: All branches of the Trigeminal firing with chewing, talking, brushing teeth, etc. Neurontin works wonders. I'm taking 400 mg every 3 to 4 hrs...with relief after 3 doses. HAVE TO TAKE IT REGULARLY. Have taken even higher dose when I had very painful bouts (for 10 yrs) and also had glossopharngeal (9th nerve) neuralgia. Breathe and exercise to keep centered and balanced. No bad side effects like many other medicines I've tried.

January 8, 2014 5:45 PM

Review by Back injury:

For Anxiety: I have a bulging disk, I have suffered from back pain for 4 years now. I occasionally split a 600mg pill. I notice little pain relief but I wake up happy. The strangest thing. I didn't realize the medication was used for anxiety, which is why I researched. I have had some depression associated with my back injury. I will take again a half of 600mg pill at night. It helps me sleep and I literally wake up happy. I should mention that I take it intermittently. I may take for a week straight but that is the longest.

January 6, 2014 3:55 AM

Review by heartdrive:

For Pain: I have prolapsed disc at C7 in my neck and inoperable spinal stenosis. The pain is relentless and unbearable. I took various NSAIDS and Co-codamol at maximum dosage. The pain was still very bad. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin. I started at 300mg, 3 times a day and as this took the edge off the pain, I decided to go straight up to 900mg, 3 times a day. At this level, in conjunction with the other medicines, the pain is now generally distant to tolerable which is fantastic, although the efficacy does tend to wear off a little near the time of the next dosage. Ramping up to a high dosage so quickly definitely made me feel a bit tripy, as well as paranoid, irritable and aggressive but this has, thankfully, subsided over time.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by SeminoleHeart (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pruritus: In January 2012, I was diagnosed with a autoimmune disease known as, Rheumatoid Arthritis. In September 2013, I began to develop a medical condition known as Pruritis. In my case, this condition can not be seen externally. However, when present internally, each occurrence can affect my arms, hands, legs, ankles, feet, stomach and back. Currently, it is unknown if my rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis is the underlying cause. Over a period of two months this condition went from a mild annoyance to a unbearable, disabling condition. Then, in late November, I discovered "Neurontin." A 900 mg a day.....miracle.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 4:05 AM

Review by Fogdog (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Restless Legs Syndrome: Gabapentin has really helped my nasty restless legs. Before gabapentin life was awful due to the side effects of Mirapex (for 10 years). In any case, I would have given gabapentin a higher score, but it is only half the reason I now sleep through the night. Another medicine called trazodone when taken with gabapentin does the trick. My wife reports that my legs still do their crazy movements at night but I am sleeping the whole time. Current dose is 900 mg about 3:00 pm and 300 mg. at bedtime with the trazodone.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2013 10:56 AM

Review by Bethie H:

For Restless Legs Syndrome: I was started on Gabapentin 5 days ago. Began with one 300mg pill a night. Have not had more than 3 hours of sleep since I stopped taking my other medication. I am going to up it to 600 mg per night to see if it relieves the pain and leg jerking. I am near my wit's end. I have suffered from restless legs syndrome for over 30 years.

December 24, 2013 8:04 AM

Review by margaret_mary (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: Reduces sciatic pain down my legs very well. Also loosens up some of the stiffness. Not very effective for the pain in my lower back at the curve of the spine. Easy to use with no side effects for me except sometimes drowsiness.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by WildGoose (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I've even taking gabapentin for three years. From the get-go I have felt the benefits of this medicine. I usually take 300mg morning and evening. If I have a "crowded" situation, I sometimes use it at lunch time as well. I have done well on this. I know that isn't for everyone. But this is the medicine that has come along and freed me from anxiety. A true liberator with no dopey side effects.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 11:20 AM

Review by DuffyC (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Thank God for this medication! After a few major life changes I recently went through I developed an anxiety disorder on top of frequent panic attacks. After trying a few medicines my PCP put me on a Xanax regimen. BAD IDEA! Within 2 1/2 months I was up to 4-5mg/day! I got sick of it and went to a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. After being appalled that I was prescribed that much Xanax she put me on a Gabapentin regimen. 100mg 3x's a day for one week, then 200mg 3x's a day for my second week. Then a follow up. I just started my second week and I'm already taking less than half of the Xanax I was needing. She said within a month I'll be off the Xanax. I feel great all day. I don't even feel like I need the Xanax.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2013 9:29 PM

Review by tdsiterlet (taken for less than 1 month):

For Spondylolisthesis: Has Stopped my twitching, muscle jerks, and minor pain.

December 11, 2013 3:55 PM

Review by complex woman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have neuropathic pain, seizures and bipolar disorder all which can be treated by Gabapentin. At first it seemed like I wasn't taking anything but after getting on 3600mg/day it has really improved my life. My pain is tolerable, the simple-partial seizures are well managed and I am calm all the time. It took a large dose to work for me but I am glad I tried it. My only complaint is that if I stand up quickly I get dizzy. But relative to everything else I don't mind.

December 8, 2013 10:18 PM

Review by Billampman1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: Gabapentin has not helped with my pain situation, in fact it has been giving me headaches, dizziness, unsteadiness, and pain in my side.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 12:21 PM

Review by JAN64:

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Feet had severe pain, legs were jumping at night. Dr. put me on 300mg per evening per day. My feet and legs are much much better and able to sleep during the night. After 3 weeks, I feel like a new person, able to walk in Home Depot and Wal Mart without the motorized buggy. Also check your vitamin D level. This has been a miracle to me, I was not willing to give up a good life yet, now I feel I have my life back.

December 2, 2013 1:08 PM

Review by Rimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: After being diagnosed four years ago and several different meds I went to a rheumatologist and he put me on gabapentin. I started out with 300mg at night for one week. Over the course of 4 weeks it slowly increased to 600mg 3 times daily. The first 23 hours I notice a difference. By the time I reached 600 mg 3 times daily I felt like a totally different person with my pain level going from a 10 most days to anywhere from 1-5. Well, the last 2 weeks my pain level has went up to 10 and no lower then a 5. I hope when I go back to the doctor. He will adjust the dosage and get it working again. Being almost pain free was awesome!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2013 12:19 AM

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: Good so far I just started today. I will let you know at the end of this week.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 8:31 PM

Review by Ricardo de la Torre:

For Restless Legs Syndrome: I have been suffering from Restless legs syndrome for several years, sometimes very pronounced and frustrating. I recently had major surgery and, for reasons unknown to me, the doctor's prescribed Gabapentin for me (3 x 300mg caps daily). Since taking them my RLS has totally disappeared. That's right, totally. Nada, nunca, none. I has been two weeks now and I can only pray that this continues.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by CarmenLatte:

For Fibromyalgia: Have very recently started taking gabapentin after spending over half my life in chronic crippling pain. Years of stretching, chiropractors, physical therapy, heavy pain medications, cortisone injections, along with bi-lateral foot surgery, bi-lateral TMJ surgery, and reaching the point of wishing I was dead due to pain being unbearable a new GP from a small clinic was the first to say the word Fibromyalgia. Within a few days I noticed that I was able to return to daily activities again like laundry, cooking, and playing with my kids and the family pets. My mood and outlook on life has dramatically improved. Still occasional aches but nothing like before, and only occasional Lortab for extreme days. Gabapentin gave me back my life.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2013 11:33 AM

Review by Goalmaster:

For Anxiety: I am an addict in recovery and after a year of being clean I got a terrible anxiety disorder. Within two days I felt normal again this so far has helped a ton.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 4:18 PM

Review by HeatherADL:

For Migraine: Did not work at all for the chronic pain it was perscribed for, but while I was taking it I stopped having the frequent migraines I was having. The one time I wasn't able to take it all day and got a migraine, taking my nighttime dose got rid of my migraine. My migraines are resistant to ALL over the counter medications, so I was very happy to finally find something that works!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 10:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have taken many medications for anxiety and depression. This works just like Klonopin for me right now. It takes the weight off your chest and removes my mental anxiety and even some of my physical side effects. I'm currently on 300mg a day and it's enough to calm me down and take the edge off. Great medication.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2013 3:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have recently started this medication. 300 mg twice a day. My doctor said she always prescribes it together with some type of antidepressant therefore I take it together with a very low doses of Prozac. That choice was due to my anxiety, which she said Prozac would be effective for that condition. Also, the Prozac should take a few weeks to notice the effect. The day I started the Neurontin, I could see an immediate change in my mood and my ability to asses a situation more clearly without being so overwhelmed. I am not diagnosed with bipolar so much as a general anxiety disorder. Also, I have frequent back and leg pains and I have not yet discovered if there is a significant difference in the amount of pain I experience.

November 15, 2013 10:52 AM

Review by Big Daddy Graham:

For Pain: Started this medicine four days ago. I have been living with back and leg pain keeping me awake most of the night. I also have psoriatic arthritis along with herniated disks and leg pain. I take 300mg at night and it worked from the first night!! Slept for the first time in years, not waking up with pain and remaining awake half the night. I would recommend this medicine to friends and family!!! Thank God the Dr put me on this!!

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2013 10:17 AM

Review by SmurfetteRocker:

For Fibromyalgia: I have tried just about everything to manage my Fibromyalgia pain and taking Percocet 24/7 was the only thing keeping me functional. Doctor put me on Gabapentin in an effort to wean me off the Percocet. So far it's working and I'm taking much less of the Percocet. I have 400mg/3x day for typical days and she prescribed 600 mg for my bad days. However, the 600 mg makes me feel very spacey and unable to focus, slightly headachey. It does help with the pain though. The pain is not gone completely but I can function. Best I can hope for I guess.

November 8, 2013 1:01 PM

Review by SoberAlive (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: This is my first day on Gapapentin for anxiety, and I have experienced truly amazing results! I am free of anxiety and work, and excessive thinking has greatly diminished. I am thinking clearly, and there are no apparent side affects. I began to feel the calming effect with 20 minutes of so. I hope that I will continue to receive this therapeutic effect on such a low dose, and do not build up a tolerance.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 9:02 PM

Review by jackdeath:

For Pain: After taking the medicine the first day, The pain in both of my feet has almost disappeared. I have not felt this good since I use to dance back in the year 2000, I'm on my feet all day at my job and I can now move faster without the pain. Thanks for Gabapentin my life is more enjoyable and I look forward to take walks with my wife again

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 7:53 AM