User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 5)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 965 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Does not make me dizzy or overly tired. Most doctors don't know how to dose it or prescribe it. A lot of doctors don't know much about shingles either. They know it is for pain so they treat it like a narcotic. It is not habit forming and not a controlled substance. It does take 2 or three days to start working though. I was misdiagnosed at the ER after I told them I thought it was shingles. They said I had facial cellulitis and put me on the wrong meds for two days, during which I suffered through the peak of the attack. "

nickname BS February 2, 2016

For Pain: "I started gabapentin last night; although it was prescribed a week ago. I have very serious allergies and even though the doctor cleared the medicine, I was afraid to have a reaction. I was/am also afraid of the side effects. I am still trying to lose weight after a full thyroidectomy so I don't want to gain anything else. Anyway I was prescribed this for intractable migraines. I took my first 300 mg pill last night as the neck pain I experience prior to some migraines, was riding up the back of my neck. I swear the pain diminished in less than 5 minutes. I did not expect that...weird. Tonight I felt the same pain so I took the pill as scheduled. Again the pain lessened. I had no migraine today so that is amazing for me. So far so good."

Mrs. Ali February 2, 2016

For Insomnia: "my hubby has been on the med since Sept 2015. It is not working.. they put him on the Gaba to remove the morphine. In the last 4 weeks by 11pm he is wide awake in pain and in tears. In the last 2 weeks the heavy pressure on his right side just below the shoulder is worse each time. He has developed a cold that will not go away starting in Nov. We see the Doc on Feb 3rd. He is taking a sleep aid and med for really bad headaches. I am so afraid of what will happen when the next dose falls. We have been married for 24 years. He has had problems with drugs and drink all his life from 9 years of age on.. yep .. people 9 years of age.. Started smoking pot and drinking.. "

blue star mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "At first this drug helped my pain...however prolonged use of this drug caused many terrible side effects.... Serious and Scary..confusion, dizzy spells, nausea, buzz noise in my head, anger ,hostility, distrust, clumsy, & on &on......."

Tee $tl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016

For Insomnia: "I take on 300mg of Gabapentin and one Trazadone one hour before bedtime with absolutely remarkable results! 20 years of chronic insomnia and trying every treatment with minimal success. This is the miracle combination...love it! The only side effect is vivid dreams."

Happy Dreams January 29, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I first started experiencing restless leg when I was 17. I'm 23 now. I immediately went to the doctor as I was wanting to literally claw my face off and stab my leg multiple times. I was put on ropinirole 0.5, then 1, then 2. It began making me very anxious at night to the point I was extremely agitated. It increased my anxiety tremendously right before I was prescribed gabapentin. I have dexterscoliosis and osteoarthritis in my back affecting my sciatic nerve. It sucks for my nerve pain but works WONDERS for my restless leg. I love it. I currently take 600mg in the AM, and 900mg in the PM. The drowsiness is more at night vs in the AM but it still makes me quite drowsy. I don't care. As long as the RLS is gone!! "

Shelbaye January 27, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I was prescribed Neurontin to block the pain in my lower back due to bulging and deteriorated discs. The Neurontin effectively reduced the pain in my back; however, the mental side effects were not worth the pain reduction. I have been previously diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but those illnesses were under control with an anti-depressant. However, once I started using Neurontin, my depression and anxiety came back with a vengeance. I had an anxiety attack and could not control my mood. I was tapered off of the drug immediately and I was back to my old self. Please talk to your doctor prior to taking this medicine if you have ever had depression, anxiety, or suicidal thoughts."

Solo01 January 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "Anxiety symptoms have worsened as I've titrated from 300 mg to 600 mg a day. Not the right drug for me, I fear."

hnella January 23, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am taking this medicine for Borderline Personality disorder. It has helped a lot of my symptoms. I have been sleeping better, my moods are much better, my "splitting" has even gotten better. It is definitely making me less depressed, too. I recommend this medicine for anyone with these symptoms or other mental conditions. My thigh has varicose veins and that has gotten better which is a bonus because I'm not taking it for pain. I really think this drug needs to be approved for Bipolar disorder (though I don't have it) and Borderline Personality Disorder. I hope I never have to quit taking it."

JeremyMG16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I cannot even tell people enough how much this medicine has saved my life. If you struggle with bipolar 2 or mood disorders this medicine is perfect for you. I am so stable when I am on this and feel 10x happier overalls". I take this with your adderall and lexapro, regardless I gaurentee this medicine will work for almost anyone. Also, you need to take at least 300 MG to feel the effects."

Emilyx713 January 21, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "At first I thought the gabapentin was going to work for my fibromyalgia, but after about a week I began experiencing headaches from nowhere!! Same with amytriptiline, Savella, Lyrica and Cymbalta. I am sensitive to and get migraines from every medication that is used to treat the pain of fibromyalgia."

Cootsgal January 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety and insomnia. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and had a tough time getting used to my CPAP and didn't sleep for several nights in a row. The first night I took the Gabapentin I slept! And I've slept every night since then. I take 800 mgs during the day and 800 mgs at night for 1600 total. I sleep between 7 and 9 hours every night now. My neurologist also told me that Gabapentin increases slow wave sleep. Before my CPAP (and the Gabapentin) I was getting no N3 slow wave sleep at all. So this drug is amazing for sleep, for me at least."

EuroAtHrt (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was started on Garbapentin for a herniated cervical disc. At first I was put on 900 mg, which wasn't really helping so my doctor bumped me up to 1800 mg a day. I've always been somewhat depressed and anxious... I got a side effect I did not bargain for. Not only did it help my pain, but my mood has been the best it has in years! I feel happy!!! Calmer. I can tell as soon as I miss a dose because my mood changes. I Hope my doctor lets me take this once my pain is gone. Usually side effects suck, this medication is not only a pain med but a happy pill."

Candi0207 January 20, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I was taking gabapentin 1x- 300mg in the am & 2x-300mg @bedtime for about 5 years it did wonders for my fibromyalgia however I still did get breakthrough flare ups ever once in a while but it helped with the pain took off the edge so I could function. Well recently it's been crazy because it just stopped working & for 2 months I was in an ongoing Flare. So my rheumey dr said lets try lyrica, and wean u off gaba - it huge mistake. Lyrica was horrible it did nothing for the pain I had awful side effects , severe nausea, headaches, stomach upsets, & the worse of these were severe muscle cramping! I'm now getting back on the Gaba took a break so maybe it will work again I prefer Gabapentin."

gypsypickles318 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I'm 53 and have fibromyalgia. I was at the end of my tether with the pain. A new doctor put me on Gabapentin. I take 200mg 3 x a day. It has literally changed my life. My pain levels have reduced dramatically, I don't wake up with the 'fibro fog' and my energy levels are as a 'normal' person's would be. It was been a revelation!"

Spooks January 18, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been on it and other medications for a year and I've been in a mental hallucination.. I now have what I call attacks..I've mentally gone crazy.. I just learned last night that the other medications are interacting with it.. I'm at a lose, my husband and I are scared to say out loud what's happening they would lock me up.. I'm mentally, physically and emotionally drained I'm scared to stop medications never know who or what I'll become everyone thinks I'm faking and now have lost my family mother included. I'm scared for My Life. I was three different persons last night most scariest thing to experience. I've been on the road never a same Dr. "

Can she be saved faithless January 17, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I have been having hot flushes day and night for 16 years 1 every 2 hours i live in Spain and cannot sit in the sun as when I get a hot flush I nearly pass out. Then I found out about Gabapentin from researching, OMG what a transformed person I am!! I take 300mg twice a day, I am so happy they have disappeared. A big whoopee from me."

Carole2708 January 16, 2016

For Pain: "I was taking gabapentin for about 4 months and it really helped with the side effects and pain from Stenosis in my lower back which is trapping my sciatic nerve. However due to my ankles swelling and weight gain my doctor has switched me to Lyrica and OMG I'm only on day 3 and I want off it. Have decided to return to taking gabapentin as the side effects are nothing like I am experiencing now."

jules65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

For Pain: "Was prescribed gabapentin for. Restless burning legs at nite 300 mg. I heard some bad review is so didn't really take it. Got hurt at work aggravating my sciatica in my left leg and knee to the point that nothing took the pain away. So I started taking 600 mg 2 times a day and I can say so far it definitely gives me about 75/90 % relief of my sciatic pain especially when I take Motrin 800 mg with it. Hope it continues to work"

Biggdaddy444 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I'm 51 and was put on gabapenten for fibromyalgia. I take 900 mg at night, then lie there exhausted but so agitated that I can't fall asleep. The most horrible feeling imaginable!! I wake up completely unrested, and spend the whole day exhausted to the point at which the agitation starts again by about 6 pm. I have never been so miserable, and would not recommend this as a first-choice drug for anyone with fibromyalgia!"

Bethy64 January 10, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have suffered silently with bi polar 2 ADHD and PTSD for about 15 years. After debilitating depression and anxiety I finally went to get help. I am only on my 4th day with 300mg 3x daily but the difference in my life is HUGE! I actually sleep at night which is so rare, and my days are spent enjoying my kids instead of sitting on the couch all day. I have had so little anxiety, I forgot what it has felt like to not constantly have a feeling of dread. It is incredible. I do hope that this is a forever feeling! The total for this medication was $93.98 my out of pocket after my insurance was $7.00"

Miamia04 January 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm 67 and have had an horrific experience with a dental implant process..its been almost a two year ordeal and still ongoing.. I began having really bad anxiety and depression...this was also aided by the death of my mother and 3 cousins I was close to. In any case, it got worse and worse..my doctor doesn't believe in diazapam etc which I think it's a personal thing with her. So I'm changing doctors but can't get in till February. A friend had a big bottle of Gabapentin after his dog died and told me it had a sedative effect. I hadn't slept more that 1-2 hours a night in months. I took a 300 mg of Gabapentin at night for 4 nights, since then I have slept through the night!!! This was HUGE for me..I've only taken it for 4 days... And it's like a miracle"

Mckatt January 9, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I was drinking 5 a day. I was put on this and welbutrin and am feeling great."

Party gd January 8, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I have been in this medication or nearly 12 months. I'm taking it 600mg three times and day and am only 24! I have facial pain and it only works about 5%"

Jeztc January 7, 2016

For Insomnia: "This is my first night taking gap and I can't sleep. I took it at 9 it is now 12 I'm going to keep trying it for a few more days I will let you all know."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016