User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 289 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 583 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by Baubee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I have Multiple Sclerosis and all that comes with it. After some years of easy going I suddenly found my feet would feel like they were on fire so I arranged an appointment with my Neurologist at the local MS clinic and was prescribed Gabapentin 5% in Lipoderm. This is a creamy compound the chemist has to make each refill order and it does take a couple days notice. Anyway, the very first time I applied the lotion to the feet the pain, which was so severe I would cry in agony, dissipated rapidly and was gone within 15 minutes. I use 1 ML twice a day to the feet and am pain free. I can not say it does anything to the numbness of the toes and bottom of feet but there is no pain to that so it is not a problem.

February 23, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by Btp200:

For Anxiety: Until I was fifty I dealt with life, and fear the best I could. Going through catholic school in the sixties was pure hell. But I leaned to deal with generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder the best I could. I become a perfectionist resulting in what others would call a very successful life. At fifty my wife divorced me throwing me into a ten year spin of uncontrollable anxiety. After trying almost every pill made, I tried Gabapentin after one morning and one at lunch. I felt better for the first time in ten years. I have taken for nine months and most of the time I feel better than I have ever felt. A control calm I have never felt. I hope it continues to work.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by 4mymeds:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Epilepsy: Has controlled my seizures, in conjunction with Tegretol, for over fifteen years, seizure free.

February 21, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by Beshy:

For Anxiety: I was started on Neurontin for hot flashes. I am also diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Not only are my hot flashes gone but so is my anxiety! This medicine has been a miracle for me. I have suffered with anxiety almost all of my life and this is the first medication that actually takes away anxiety. It gives me the sense of relaxation and calmness. It's also not addictive.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Dr. Mark (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: I have had ruptured discs in the middle of my back as well as two ruptured in the lower spine around the hip area. Had severe pain for years with therapy, and many medications. I have been on Norco 10/325 four to six times daily for about 5 years now and it has become very minor help now. I think I'm getting immune to to it after so many years. I started the Gabapentin and now am up to 600mg three times daily. I have some side effects such as dizziness, sweating, confusion and headaches but it is beginning to reduce the pain level to almost tolerable. I've only been on it for a couple of weeks but hope it will increase the pain management where I can reduce the Norco to once or twice a day. Thanks for the reviews above. They have helped me.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2014 3:58 AM

Review by FD143:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I have suffered with peripheral neuropathy in my neck spine for 3 plus years. Started with neck pain and 4 doctors who couldn't diagnose the problem. My 5th doctor who is now my family doctor, put me on 3600 mg of gabapentin a day and referred me to a neurosurgeon who found the problem in my neck, surgery was performed to correct the problem plus gabapentin (3600 mg a day), plus other medications I was taking prior to surgery as directed by my new family doctor. My point being, My symptoms of neck pain, arm pain, and leg pain were initially diagnosed as arthritis by 4 doctors. My family doctor and neurosurgeon in combination with gabapentin, the pain and suffering is now 90% reduced to a livable existence. I am 74 years old.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Lynn M.:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I use Gabapentin to treat pain and burning (feet) caused by a small fiber neuropathy (confirmed by biopsy). I take a relatively small dose (1200 mg) at night when symptoms are worst. I usually get adequate relief, enough to sleep, on most nights. I try to take as few medicines as possible and as little as possible, even though a higher dose would probably provide more relief. I also get Qutenza treatments every 3 months.

February 11, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by ali21221 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Doses over 2700mg daily completely got rid of the anxiety but gave me severe abdominal cramp.

February 8, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by M. Rich. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I take 900 mgs a day. It makes the burning sensation in my hands and feet go away. But the pain in my shoulders and arms is still present and the side effects are worse than the disease!!! I experience tremors, blurred vision, loss of memory, dizziness and drowsiness. I'm a mother of three and I can hardly function, but I do anyway. I still have very little use of my left side. If my neurologist thinks it's best, then who am I to argue. It does work. But for ME, the side effects are a tad bit annoying for a full time mom.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 10:47 AM

Review by MTPockets427:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: Pain relief is limited and barely noticed. I take 1800 mg a day and still need 6 Percocet per day to get enough relief to function. I've tried to stop the gabapentin and couldn't do it without withdrawals. I have forgotten to take medicines with me while out for a long day and also had withdrawal symptoms which include severe stomach pain and diarrhea.

February 5, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by 7425:

For Anxiety: I started 300mg 2x daily for depression and anxiety last Wednesday. All I can say is wow. This stuff is great. I'm back to jogging and daily activities along with my outpatient therapy. This is 5 days removed from suicidal thoughts and almost a 72 hour hold. My doctor is weening me off Valium but I really don't need it but says I have to take it as I ate my whole months script of 60 in 5 days so I'll do what she says. My thoughts and prayers are with all who suffer and if possible give this a try.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by petey from NJ:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I began experiencing trigeminal neuralgia a few years after chemo. I had 5 courses of bleomycin, Velban and Cisplatin (1980s) When I first took Neurontin to control the pain I was taking 900 to 1200 mgs per day. As the symptoms decreased in frequency I weaned off and now take it only when needed. I can feel the changes in my skin when its going to start. I don't wait for the shooting pain, I now take 300 mgs gabapentin at the slightest tingling of my scalp. It helps tremendously. The only problem is saying whatever comes to mind , especially when taking prednisone at the same time.

January 30, 2014 11:25 PM

Review by Lanielou (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have been on 300mg/day for 14 months. Before, the anxiety was so bad, I seemed to get "set off" quite easily. Now I am relaxed. It gives this feeling, like "okay, whatever, I can handle this." My doctor said I could take more of it if I felt I needed it, but I haven't

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by 7425:

For Anxiety: Going through a real bad bout of depression and anxiety. Was almost hospitalized but am doing outpatient group starting tomorrow. Doctor gave me enough Valium to ween off and gave me Gabapentin today. 300mg twice a day. Took my first one 2 hours ago and feel pretty chill. Also coming off opiates for chronic pain. Very tired but haven't slept much lately. Hopefully with a good nights rest I'll feel more upbeat tomorrow. Also take Effexor and Remeron. Good luck and prayers to all who suffer from emotional issues.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2014 4:22 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: I was first given Neurontin for the shingles, for a few days nothing helped the pain of the shingles, most painful thing I have ever had. After about a week I started feeling better, was sleeping all night and now I have no pain. Even though I still have the shingles best medicine for pain I have ever taken.

January 29, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by lglavish (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: Started taking this for hot flashes a couple of weeks ago. I'm on 300mg twice a day and it is wonderful. I would sometimes get more than 4 hot flashes per hour- I felt like a chameleon. I had no idea how nice it is to be almost completely hot flash free! I'm post menopause at 48 and started having flashes at 37. After awhile it becomes a fact of life, if I had under 10 flashes in a day I thought that was good. When I started having 2-4 per hour in the afternoons, sometimes more than 30 during waking hours, my oncologist prescribed this. I can't take hormones because of high risk breast cancer. Gabapentin is giving me my life back!!!!!

January 20, 2014 7:42 PM

Review by Clairebear40 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Restless Legs Syndrome: I've suffered with restless leg syndrome since the age of 20 and now 40. As I've aged it has worsened and I also get it in my arms and hands. I was prescribed 6 of 600mg by my GP and find its the only thing that helps them settle and I would truly go insane if I didn't have this medicine which, I've been taking now for 3 year.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by anonymous legion:

For Anxiety: I originally took massive handfuls of this drug for epilepsy over a month a decade or so ago. It was ineffective, but I noticed while I took it the side effect of being happy, sociable, and chatty. Along with other stuff at the massive doses. So fast forward a decade or two, and had unexpected nasty negative life events and became suicidal. Ended up in a psych ward, and I asked for gabapentin. Started taking a pill morning and evening and the overwhelming suicidal thoughts vanished, the daily crying spells vanished, the intense negative emotion state vanished. Feel calm, cheerful, and happy. My blood pressure went from ultrastress 180/120 with pulse 150 to 120/80 pulse 90. It calms me down and helps me cope when I was feeling overwhelmed

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by Jaynisere:

For Pain: I love gabapentin, it works I am no longer in constant pain.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Tyroli:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: All branches of the Trigeminal firing with chewing, talking, brushing teeth, etc. Neurontin works wonders. I'm taking 400 mg every 3 to 4 hrs...with relief after 3 doses. HAVE TO TAKE IT REGULARLY. Have taken even higher dose when I had very painful bouts (for 10 yrs) and also had glossopharngeal (9th nerve) neuralgia. Breathe and exercise to keep centered and balanced. No bad side effects like many other medicines I've tried.

January 8, 2014 5:45 PM

Review by Back injury:

For Anxiety: I have a bulging disk, I have suffered from back pain for 4 years now. I occasionally split a 600mg pill. I notice little pain relief but I wake up happy. The strangest thing. I didn't realize the medication was used for anxiety, which is why I researched. I have had some depression associated with my back injury. I will take again a half of 600mg pill at night. It helps me sleep and I literally wake up happy. I should mention that I take it intermittently. I may take for a week straight but that is the longest.

January 6, 2014 3:55 AM

Review by heartdrive:

For Pain: I have prolapsed disc at C7 in my neck and inoperable spinal stenosis. The pain is relentless and unbearable. I took various NSAIDS and Co-codamol at maximum dosage. The pain was still very bad. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin. I started at 300mg, 3 times a day and as this took the edge off the pain, I decided to go straight up to 900mg, 3 times a day. At this level, in conjunction with the other medicines, the pain is now generally distant to tolerable which is fantastic, although the efficacy does tend to wear off a little near the time of the next dosage. Ramping up to a high dosage so quickly definitely made me feel a bit tripy, as well as paranoid, irritable and aggressive but this has, thankfully, subsided over time.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by SeminoleHeart (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pruritus: In January 2012, I was diagnosed with a autoimmune disease known as, Rheumatoid Arthritis. In September 2013, I began to develop a medical condition known as Pruritis. In my case, this condition can not be seen externally. However, when present internally, each occurrence can affect my arms, hands, legs, ankles, feet, stomach and back. Currently, it is unknown if my rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis is the underlying cause. Over a period of two months this condition went from a mild annoyance to a unbearable, disabling condition. Then, in late November, I discovered "Neurontin." A 900 mg a day.....miracle.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 4:05 AM

Review by Fogdog (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Restless Legs Syndrome: Gabapentin has really helped my nasty restless legs. Before gabapentin life was awful due to the side effects of Mirapex (for 10 years). In any case, I would have given gabapentin a higher score, but it is only half the reason I now sleep through the night. Another medicine called trazodone when taken with gabapentin does the trick. My wife reports that my legs still do their crazy movements at night but I am sleeping the whole time. Current dose is 900 mg about 3:00 pm and 300 mg. at bedtime with the trazodone.

December 31, 2013 10:56 AM

Review by Bethie H:

For Restless Legs Syndrome: I was started on Gabapentin 5 days ago. Began with one 300mg pill a night. Have not had more than 3 hours of sleep since I stopped taking my other medication. I am going to up it to 600 mg per night to see if it relieves the pain and leg jerking. I am near my wit's end. I have suffered from restless legs syndrome for over 30 years.

December 24, 2013 8:04 AM