User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 5)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 291 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 873 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I just took my first dose of Gabapentin I experienced severe reactions from tongue and throat swelling, slurring of words , headache, swollen glands and face, blurred and double vision. My Dr. is trying to wean me off Mirapax and Neupro patch as they have augmented. Now on a steroid and Benadryl to counteract that, still have blurred vision and it is 24 hours later."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Gabapentin has been amazing for me! I have been battling bi polar my whole life. I am 50 now and have been on several antidepressants for the last 5 years. Nothing really helped. For the last couple years, I would wake up crying for no reason and not wanting to get out of bed. The last time I went to see my doc she asked me if bi polar ran in my family. I told her I wasn't sure but though there might be. She put me on 300 mg. The first morning I woke up after taking the med, it had an overnight result! I did NOT cry and was able to get out of bed easier. I was amazed that my life changed so much in one day! I highly recommend anyone suffering from bi polar to try this med."

Finally! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

For Anxiety: "Help needed. I took one gabapentin was fine when I took 2nd one about 2 and a half hours later I was feeling weird I only take 1 x 100mg per day. Just need to know if this was a reaction to it."

michelle962 September 29, 2015

For Pain: "I've been on gabapentin for several yrs & it was originally for back pain. I had my L4/5 disc fused then 6 years later had a spinal cord stimulator put in. 4 surgeries later NO RELIEF AT ALL. I've been on 300 MG 3x's a day. But recently my neurologyst decided that I should actually take 600 MG 3x's a day because I've been suffering from migraines since age 7. The thing that I've noticed is that my memory is off. I will be in a drive thru & have a list of items that I want off the menu & as soon as they ask me what I want, I draw a blank & look at my son like "HELP" At first I didn't think anything of it but now it's becoming habit. Why??"

Lil sug September 26, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been on nuerontin for a few days now and since yesterday a few hours after I take it my body starts to twitch really bad. It started while I was driving to my shop with my son in the car. I was terrified I was going to wreck. I was even having trouble unbuckling him from his car seat. Walking and writing and talking is difficult. Then I was very lightheaded and very weak. I couldn't even go through my files. Now my eyes hurt and are getting blurry. I'm still twitchy. Last night my fiance said I was twitching pretty badly while I slept. Not to mention the tingling my my fingers and toes and the extreme heat shooting through my leg.. I hope this goes away. If not I'm calling my doctor back."

Bratt Kid (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I started taking Gabapentin two weeks ago. My doctor prescribed it for my hot flashes and night sweats. I was averaging two to three hot flashes an hour and terrible night sweats every night. It was very debilitating and overwhelming. Since starting the Gabapentin the night sweats have vanished altogether and I average two hot flashes a day! it's a lifesaver for me. I take three 300 mg. pills per day, one in the morning, one after dinner and one before bed."

bwolkins (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

For Anxiety: "Where do I begin. My whole life I have had severe anxiety. Later down the road came despression and a mood disorder. My anxiety controlled me. I would have panic attacks more than once a day, terrified to leave my house, scared to talk to friends/family, scared to go to work and anything else you can think of. I've tried, since I was 15; I'm now 22, Xanax,Lorazapam,Clonazapam and Valium to the point where I wouldnt know how many I was taking a day. NOTHING helped!! I had a different doctor see me and her first choice was Gabapentin 300mg, 1 capsule 3 times a day. And thats where the miracle began! My life was changed. Im getting goose bumps now looking back on how much relief I felt and still feel! The world was different. Please try it! (:"

RachelRae93 September 24, 2015

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "15 years old, severe anxiety. My Dr. prescribed this medication for me to take on occasion when I needed it. It worked beautifully, and I could go to dances and loud bars and restaurants again. Although it did not removed my anxiety completely, it did get rid of at least 90%, and that was enough to get me through these situations. However, very recently I have noticed that it has stopped working and instead gives me horrible dizziness and lets my anxiety roam free. I do take another medication for anxiety as well as another for depression. Anyhow, my gabapentin has been fought off by my body and I am going to have to switch meds again (I was on another medicine that I became immune to 4 months ago and have to switch then). Sigh."

n00b_of_belleair (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have suffered from Restless Leg Syndrome since I was a child. This medication has made a HUGE difference in my life. No more leg pain."

carrollm5 September 23, 2015

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "Helpful for Alcohol Detox"

Bobster2 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2015

For Pain: "I was prescribed Gabapentin for horrible, 24/7 MS pain, 300 mg 3x a day at first. It did nothing for the pain, and I spent the entire month I was on it feeling like I was drunk or on a bad 60s type acid trip; I dizzy, staggering, confused, nauseated. My doctor said to give medications a fair chance to work and the side effects should only last a week or so. She increased the dose to 600mg 3x a day when I got no relief from the pain. After a month I couldn't stand the awful side effects any more and was still in pain so I just quit taking it."

Slerriuqs (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2015

For Pain: "Took this med for peripheral neuropathy in feet, legs and finger tips from long term untreated hypothyroidism. 300mg 3 times a day. Very little relief when first started. Then after a few months the pain got worse. Also does a number on your stomach. I stopped it and had no withdraws and feel a whole lot better. Need to look for something else for this horrible nerve pain."

Slim Jim (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

For Insomnia: "I had recent foot surgery and experienced nerve discomfort while in the hospital. I was started on Neurontin which did help my nerve discomfort about 80% and made me very sleepy for the first week. After that I experienced insomnia which I found more distressing than the nerve discomfort. I am currently in the process of weaning myself off this med."

LQ September 19, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm 31 and have severe anxiety and problems with my heart racing dangerously fast for no apparent reason. I take a beta-blocker which slows my heart rate, but I still felt really anxious and panicky all the time! I'm also on methadone so my Dr. Would not prescribe me any benzos for my anxiety for fear I would get addicted to them! She tried every kind of antidepressant but none really worked. Just. A few months ago she prescribed me 1x300mg 3x a day of gabapentin, and now my anxiety is completely under control I, feel like I have a new lease on life ,and feel much more comfortable in my own skin."

Ray420 September 17, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've suffered from bi polar and depression for years . I was on lexapro for over a decade and cymbalta for a bit. Weaned myself off of everything and tried natural stuff like holy basil and lithium oratate. The natural stuff mildly helped but I still had crazy mood swings. For many of my earlier years I battled with alcohol and did about any drug to alleviate and forget a childhood with and alcoholic father and crazy mother. One day at work my neck was out the pain unbearable co worker gave me a few lyrica pills. It eased the pain but after taking them for 2 days I realized I felt balanced and calm for the first time in years. I told my Dr and he prescribed gabapentin. My son suffered for yrs. If only I been on it sooner he'd had a happier life."

Killin me smalls September 12, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "Frustrated with sciatica, I popped a couple Gabapentin (600mg) to see if relief. (My family member had them for migraines but never used them) Two things became evident after about an hour and a half: 1) the sciatica was still there but pain was vague and I didn't care about it; 2) at my usual Saturday night binge drinking hour - 3PM - I had no desire to drink. Ever since I discovered this miracle drug I've barely drank, no hangovers, just feel great. Miracle drug may save my liver, life, and marriage."

Gibson Player (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "Gabapentin has significantly helped my pain due to neuropathy disorder. I take it for numbness of hands with shooting severe pain during sleep which wakes me 3 to 4 times a night. I must get up, wash hands with hot water then use a heating pad till they settle enough to sleep again. It does not take all the symptoms away but any relief is greatly appreciated."

motduf September 10, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have drop foot in both feet and horrible burning and tingling and electric shock waves with muscle cramps....I haven't been on this medicine very long ! Help?"

Anonymous September 9, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "It reduced the nerve pain by 30 percent, but I had to take 1800mg a day to do it. The side effects seemed to increase the longer I was taking it. The main side effects I had were fatigue,weight gain, sexual disfunction, excesive hunger. After taking it for a few years I decided it wasn't worth it and used massage therapy instead that improved my circulation without the side effects and reduced the pain just as much or more."

techguy1046 September 7, 2015

For Insomnia: "I take either 1 gabapentin and 2 zzzquil or 2 gabapentin and 1 zzzquil and I sleep like a baby all night! I normally fall asleep relatively quickly and wake up around 2 or 3am with terrible back pain and am practically up the rest of the night. Ever since this combo I have finally found rest! The 2 on their own did nothing for me just fyi"

sleeplessman101 September 6, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I have been on gabapentin for 1 year. I take 300mg. 3 times a day. I was prescribed to take double the amount for hot flashes. I have only taken this amount for 6 days and am praying that I will get relief soon."

hot not in a good way (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2015

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I had many symptoms at first, especially imbalance, and drowsiness. I could never drive my car during the use of this medication. But overall, it helped with the sharp needle-like stabbing pain all over the area in which my shingles spread. I was worse case my doctor and neurologist had ever seen. When the shingle scabs had fallen and my doctor said the episode was over, I had no pain. Then suddenly from nowhere terrific pain began to increase to the point where my doctor had to prescribe this medicine. I've only been on this medicine since June. It is now September and dosage has only been increased once ( to 1800 mg per day)."

dailyjab September 6, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I'm answering a question from a lady who has recently detoxed from drugs and as an ex user myself ( all opiates & tablets) I offer my sympathy . Restless leg syndrome is a horrible condition that I have struggled with for years, Gabapentin hasn't helped for me so I was put on Pre-gabulin 300mg twice a day, I must say it has been heaven to sleep through the night, although they can make you drowsy if you are on a high dose, which I am, but I'm sure your doctor will find the correct dosage that suits you best. I certainly hope that I have helped in some way. Good Luck."

Poorly Lady (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have stage 3 Bipolar disorder, Bipolar disorder is a really bad thing, it consumes your life, taking pieces of memory and taken friends in the process. Also makes you say and do things you would've never imagined you were capable of some things. I managed to fall in love with my husband of 15 yrs and have 2 Beautiful amazing little boys. but still even being blessed with what I have and who I have in my life. I've tried therapy, yoga, medication after medication that failed to work. Then one-day I went to another doctor for another opinion on my diagnosis And was told the same thing. My doc then put me on neurontin, it has been a saviour, it truly works, I urge you to try it, bc it works!! And isn't even a narcotic."

Angalia September 2, 2015

For Migraine: "I'm actually a chronic cluster headache patient for over 30 years. Started when I got sober in 82. Cleveland Clinic finally figured out what the problem was. Now for about 10 years I've been on the Gabapentin as part of my medical cocktail. We just had to increase the dosage today from 600 to 900 as the clusters were back on a nightly alarm clock basis. Well, tonight I have been headache free and hoping this increase will do the trick. Has worked before but maybe just time for increase in my dosage. Prayers please. These clusters are no fun. Thanks and good luck to all headache patients."

Dickfromftmyers September 1, 2015