User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 613 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by Stevedin (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: Helps with insomnia if I take it with other sedatives. Initially I found it very stimulating. I have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, irritable bowel syndrome-D, depression and anxiety. I take 500mg in total throughout the day. My main reason for reporting my experience is that it helps so much with my IBS-D. I have taken many anti-diarrhoea medicines with little effect.I can now eat foods that caused cramping and urgent diarrhoea. I now also take laxatives every day. I much prefer trying to manage constipation than the uncontrollable urgent diarrhoea. The IBS-D has been so crippling and I have had it for more than 25yrs. It started very soon after I had my severe viral infection that caused the CFS/ME

May 6, 2014 6:38 AM

Review by JMWJ:

For Anxiety: I have had periodic depression for years, and general anxiety problems as well, lately they had been getting worse. I cannot tolerate the SSRI anti-depressants, can't even tell any effect when I take Buspar, was taking Clonazepam when things got really bad. I went back to see a Dr. I have great respect for, had another QEEG, he said I have a "fast brain" (Gross CNS hyperarousal). Started me on 300 mg Gabapentin at bedtime. Noticed a calming, mellowing effect the first day. Before I could not stop my mind from racing, from obsessing, and would get almost paralyzed to do anything. I feel so much better, my mind is calm, depression is lifted, and no side effects other than a very, very slight fogginess. So far, for me - amazing.

210 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Flip Mo Better (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I was on and happy using SEROQUEL for sleep and was highly skeptical about trying GABA. I tried many other medicines to combat insomnia and they all proved not to work. I was pleasantly surprised how GABA worked. It helps keep me in very deep sleep for 6 hours. After that I wake up, but can easily get to sleep. The dreams are very vivid, but not unpleasant. I had to tweak my dosage however. I'm now at 1200 mg at night and sleep with total ease. Full disclosure, my insomnia has roots in anxiety, so this medicine proved to be effective because it helps with Anxiety too. I'm happy!

April 30, 2014 4:53 PM

Review by Pink Lily (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Neuropathic Pain: Nerve damage to my back occurred as a result of car accident. Nerve misfiring occurred. Electrical stabs of pain of varying degrees occurred randomly throughout my body. When falling asleep, electrical activity picked up such that I had to restrain my arms and legs and head. It took 3500mg/day to suppress the pain. No side effects. I sold my car and walked for years as my body gradually healed and the dosage required dropped eventually to zero. A second type of nerve pain coexisted that Neurontin did not touch, a burning pain that occurred all over my body. By chance (thx Docs) I discovered that Valium works very well in suppressing this type of nerve pain. Also might try a combo of Neurontin and med marijuana and walking.

April 29, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by Ashley M (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: When my doctor first prescribed gabapentin, normally a seizure medicine, for my anxiety, I was a little confused. She explained to me that if you look at 2 brain scans, one patient with seizures, and one with anxiety, the damage in their brain is very similar. Within a week, I was able to feel a dramatic difference with my anxiety. Within a month, I truly felt "normal" again. I LOVE what this medication does for me, and it's made a huge impact on my daily life. I take one 300mg tablet in the morning, and two at night, and I have a very mild twitch that it's also helped to relieve as an extra plus.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Screwyjohn62649 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I was on Gabapentin and there was 3 other medications that caused some of the same side effects and after a few years it stopped helping. I stopped it for about 2 months and now the pain in my legs are back. I started taking 2 capsules a day and the pain in my legs are a lot better. Problem is the unsteadiness, can't hold things and drop them, This is after I took it for one day and this is happening on day two. May just take it when the pain becomes unbearable. I get it from the VA so I don't know if they have any other medication that treats the same problem and if so will ask to be given it for awhile to see if it works. VA covers my expense after billing my outside insurance first then cover the rest for service connected.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Dutch777:

For Pain: I have suffered from the pain of arthritis and disc degeneration in my lower back and neck. I also have fibromyalgia. As if that wasn't enough, I have been recently diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder. This medication has been great for me. I've only been on it for 4 days and already my pain has been greatly reduced. I haven't had to take any Percocet which is great. I have had to take a couple Tylenol. It has also really helped reduce my anxiety and depression. I really hope it keeps working. I take 300 mg about 1 PM and two 300 mg capsules at night. Side effects are minimal. I'm still a bit drowsy in the morning but it's nothing a good cup of coffee won't cure. It has been a great medication for me.

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 2:38 AM

Review by ThisIsPatrick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I took Gabapentin for the usual depression/anxiety combination. It helped my anxiety SO much and I was a new person on it. The only reason I had to go off of it was because I have Interstitial Cystitis and the Gabapentin acted as a bladder irritant to my condition. Other than it worsened my interstitial cystitis, this medication was pretty flawless.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by JimNashville (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I had two major surgeries last year. A total hip and a total knee while in rehab for the total knee. I started experiencing diabetic neuropathy. The doctor gave me 900 mgs daily for it. I can tell you it was a great improvement and was very pleased. The 1st of the year I tried a herbal medicine and it didn't work. I did give it a month. I am now back on the gabapentin. I am so thankful for it, never will I go without it.

April 15, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by sogap34:

For Insomnia: Just started Neurontin 2 days ago. Dose is 200mg. It has worked wonders for me.

April 13, 2014 2:58 PM

Review by Peppasmum (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety/depression, after trying amitryptylline and citalopram, both of which did not work. My dose was 300mg Gabapentin 3x a day, however, this dose was causing me to have really achey joints so I stopped taking the evening one and now have one when I get up, and one at lunchtime. I can really feel the effects of the morning one, as, an hour after taking it I feel a little light headed and drunk, but very focused and determined. I am also sleeping better as my head isn't full of worries when I go to sleep like it used to be. Gabapentin does not make you feel sluggish and zombie-like like other meds, in fact I find them to be the opposite - I get loads done in a day which also helps me sleep.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by Nickname:

For Anxiety: Best anti-anxiety medicine yet.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by alexandriaw:

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: I started gabapentin 600 mg 3x daily after I had 2 bulging disk removed from my neck that had crushed my spinal cord. I was a paraplegic but I could feel nerve pain. I couldn't even have sheets touch my legs without pain. It's been a year now I've been on it. I can tell when I'm late taking it. What a life saver. I get blurry vision sometimes and have gained weight (might be because my movement is limited). Might have to take it the rest of my life, but it beats pain pills.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by Abbyscapes (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: I had suffered with chronic sciatica on my right leg for four months before finding the great doctor who prescribed gabapentin to me. I've spent 3 weeks working up from 1 to 3 pills a day. Each pill is 300mg. My pain has dropped from unbearable to nothing! An MRI shows a Trevor cyst about 3/4" in diameter which is on my 5th lumbar putting pressure at the top of the sciatic nerve. I thought I'd be facing cortisone shots and eventual surgery to deal with the tricky cyst but maybe thanks to this medicine I'll be able to dodge that path of treatment. I am sleeping more soundly, I have less energy in the evening and my overall energy level seems reduced but given the trade off of being pain- free, it's worth it.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by Christina11:

For Hot Flashes: My night time hot flashes were keeping me from sleeping. I would have 4 or 5 episodes a night. My Dr. Prescribed Neurontin and within 2 days my hot flashes have disappeared. I only take this medication at night as it makes me drowsy. I take 200 mg. It is a miracle!!!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 3:51 AM

Review by GlennJon (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: Before taking gabapentin I had difficulty walking and getting a good night's sleep. I would constantly get shooting pains up and down my legs, as well as both feet. In just a few days after beginning taking gabapentin, the majority of the shooting pain in the legs subsided. The pain in the feet is more tolerable as well. Just wonder how long this "miracle" medicine will continue working for me.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by Len's love:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: After six back related surgeries, I developed peripheral neuropathy. I was placed on Savella which helped some, but my neurologist decided to add Gralise as well. What had been absolutely terrible burning in both legs has been reduced with both of these medications. The Gralise was a helpful addition to the Savella. The question below regarding the insurance coverage; I had a blue cross plan which picked up about 40-50% then I recently purchased another blue cross plan which, at this moment in time, is not covering the Gralise, so my neurologist is trying to get them to authorize it.

March 20, 2014 2:28 PM

Review by Bedazzelle:

For Fibromyalgia: I am a 43 year old and I have had so much tenderness and pain with fibromyalgia, and to tell the truth I don't like to take medication.. but I was is such terrible pain I decided to go on GABAPENTIN under my doctors care. I am in awe. I feel so much better, especially in the morning. I also swim and get light massages to manage the pain. I can actually move my neck without agony! My doctor started me out on a higher dose than normal because of the pain. I take 3 of the 400 mg capsules daily. I have only been on them a few days but I can feel a BIG DIFFERENCE! I actually have energy and my mind not as " foggy" as before. I hope and pray this medication continues to give me fantastic results with few side effects.

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by sliceman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Gabapentin has been a life saver for me. I have suffered from dysthemia and anxiety for my entire 47 years of existence. I've been on every medicine they could toss at me over the years but nothing helped with my symptoms. Then I had back surgery for a discotomy on L5 on my spine. I had severe leg pain and the sciatica pain was very intense. The doctor prescribed gabapentin for residual nerve pain in my left foot. Without gabapentin my foot feels like its on fire but I also discovered how different I was beginning to feel with my depression and anxiety....I felt alive for the first time in decades. I kid you not, it is a wonderful and my doctor has been recording my progress on it with my depression and anxiety. Great medicine.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by degenerative spine (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: Helps with nerve pain in both legs.

March 15, 2014 8:35 PM

Review by Cecelia Ideally (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fibromyalgia: I was diagnosed in 2009 after over a decade of chronic aches and pains that couldn't be described by any physicians. After countless bloodtests, MRIs, CAT scans, and the like, I finally found a Neuro that decided to try Gabapentin. I've been on it now, low dose, for about a week. Placebo effect or otherwise, I DO feel better. My normal daily functions seem easier, the pain has almost entirely subsided to a 'dull' ache, my headaches have dwindled to almost nothing, and my energy has increased; which I can only attribute to actually sleeping through the night for more than four days. I will be gradually increasing my dosage over the next four weeks to see if I get even better. I'm ecstatic that I found this physician and Gabapentin!

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 1:39 PM

Review by Ah1105:

For Anxiety: I was on gabapentin when I was younger around age 16 to 18 and I remembered it must had worked pretty well because I stayed on for a little while. So fast forward almost ten years and I started seeing doctor again due to social anxiety and asked if I could try gabapentin. I started low 100mg at night which actually did help me sleep and felt calming effect but I did notice a little twitchy, but all in all it was ok the problem was the next day my anxiety seemed a lot worse I even tried couple more nights and same thing always happened. I'd have physical effect of anxiety, pounding heart, etc. I am also on methadone so I don't know if this why this medication made me have such bad anxiety next day but everyone is different.

March 13, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I suffer from generalzed anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and panic disorder. I have been on Neurontin for about three months. At first I was on 300mg/day, and now am on 600mg/day. My doctor wants to ultimately get me up to 900mg/day. This medicine works great. It keeps me on a calm and even keel, plus eliminates some of my physical anxiety symptoms. The only side effect I experienced was some slight clumsiness at first, which disappeared after a few days. I also take Tenormin and Prozac.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by Vbeckford:

For Migraine: I read the other comments and decided to try it. It was wonderful! I've been using Neurontin for nerve pain down my leg for 3 months. It's great to know it serves more than one purpose. Thanks everyone.

March 9, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by mhmama:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: I am on Gabapentin for nerve damage due to chemotherapy. I am now up to 600mg 3 times a day. I am not having a lot of relief and have a lot of dizziness, joint pain headaches, and unsteadiness.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2014 2:46 PM