User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 1 reviews 739 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 543 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Anxiety: I love this medicine. I used to get incredibly anxious at night - NOTHING could help me. My doctor prescribed this and the FIRST night I felt better. My mind was not cycling through "scary" thoughts that used to plague me. I was able to rationalize much easier. I'm just so glad to finally have something that helps.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2011 8:05 PM

For Anxiety: I was having terrible issue with anxiety which was resulting in severe and unrelenting headaches. Added to the fact that I am pre-menopausal, I had not felt like myself in at least a year. I went to the psychiatrist who continued my Celexa and started me on a very small dose of Neurontin at 100 mg 3 times daily. I am only taking it twice daily to avoid the foggy feeling. It has only been 3 days and I can honestly say, I feel like a new person... or should I say, the person I used to be. I was skeptical that Neurontin could do so much to relieve my anxiety, but it works for me, and my headache and constant neck tension/pain is gone. I am so glad my psychiatrist realizes the benefits of this medication and that she prescribed it for me.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2011 8:35 AM

For Epilepsy: I am 30 years old, and I have epilepsy. I just came off of Tegretol and only on gabepentin after asking my neurologist if I could please. At single doses of 600mg 3 times a day, I feel like my anxiety goes away, but my head can feel groggy. I actually have panic attacks, anxiety attacks, depression as a result of epilepsy. I do like Gabapentin if it prevents seizures. Last night I felt nuts, and racing thoughts. Maybe I need to up my doses to 1200mg at night instead of 600mg. I do sleep very well once I do crash. It can make me a calmer and hungry. I couldn't survive, literally, without it. I know I would have seizures and panic attacks. Side effects...very few compared to Tegretol.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2011 5:20 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: It would be nice if there were a once daily extended release capsule. 3 times daily is hard. Don't forget either.

September 6, 2011 11:54 PM

Review by jwajules:

For Vulvodynia: I was prescribed gabapentin a year and a half ago for Vulvodynia. Initially, gabepentin did not help with the burning. I had to go way beyond 2000 mgs. Once the dose was increased, it definitely helped with the burning nerve pain. I would say it cut my pain by about 60%. Unfortunately, I have had to add other medicines to gabapentin overtime to help with the burning pain. I added Lyrica and then Cymbalta. I'm on 3600 mgs of gabapentin along with the other two medications. My burning is pretty bad again. Gabapentin worked for awhile but, now I need to switch medicines. I had no side effects on this medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2011 9:20 PM

Review by Gamafan:

For Anxiety: I have been taking gabapentin for about a week now and it has literally saved my life! I was having such incredible nervous energy that was affecting my sleep, relationships, daily routine, etc. I was having a meltdown everyday with lots of physical pain (mostly stomach). This medicine calmed everything down and is helping me feel normal again! Thanks to a good doctor...this really worked well. Can't say enough good things. I smiled this morning when I woke up for the first time in years!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2011 3:20 PM

For Anxiety: I've been taking Gabapentin for three years to relieve my anxiety symptoms; 1800mg twice daily. Although I started at a much smaller dose in the beginning and did feel groggy at times my body is now completely accustomed to it. This is the only medication I have tried that allows me to function normally on a daily basis without feeling side effects. I highly recommend it to patients with GAD who don't respond to other medications.

August 24, 2011 12:40 PM

For Migraine: I began taking 300mg of Gabapentin before bed every night and stopped when my migraines began to subside (as recommended by my doctor). However, they came back and I began 300mg before bed and 600mg in the morning. The medication helps tremendously. The only downside is that it makes me feel drunk, spacey and tired. I don't feel "all the way there" and lost sometimes. Which isn't great at work. But it sure beats almost daily migraines.

August 24, 2011 11:59 AM

Review by whiss:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Pain: Been taking Neurontin for several years now, from 4200mg down to 1200mg a day, after my sciatic nerve got damaged during 1st back surgery. Tried many medicines, no relief, doctor put me on clinical dose of 4200mg a day, many side effects. Down to 3200mg a day, awesome, was able to walk and live(no work). Back got worse, needed 2nd surgery and had to get off some medicines, getting off Neurontin was the WORST WITHDRAWALS. 6 months after doctor's put me back on Neurontin but only 1800mg. Still on Neurontin today and still working awesome. No side effects, low dose on all medicines keeps side effects down. Just watch the WITHDRAWALS.

August 18, 2011 1:31 AM

Review by LTUSAFaz:

For Insomnia: I have suffered with insomnia for years and no medications improved my condition until I started using Gabapentin. I have been taking it for 7 days and my quality of sleep has greatly improved. I used to wake up 3-4 times per night and found it hard to fall back asleep. Gabapentin puts me to sleep and I am enjoying deeper, more restful REM stages. I highly recommend it for this condition. I was prescribed this for chronic pain and this is a great bonus. Like the other reviewer it will cause residual grogginess the next day for several hours. Extra caffeine is definitely needed!

August 13, 2011 1:19 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Pain: I have been put on this twice in the last couple of years to try and deal with the the constant burning pain in my feet. The first time I was given a low dose according to my Doctor 200mg 3 times a day. I didn't notice any reduction in pain at all. Then second time I was taking 600mg 3 times a day and it still did nothing for my pain and after 2 months I couldn't get past the drowsiness and had to quit taking it.

August 10, 2011 2:22 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Hot Flashes: I was given long-acting gabapentin during a clinical study and it was extremely effective but has not been approved by the FDA yet for hot flashes.

August 4, 2011 1:27 PM

Review by 24th ID:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: My doctor started me on this after I had crazy nerve pain due to shingles. It works amazing for me! When I don't take it or it's time for my dose it feels like I've been shot in the area where my shingles were worst. So I have nothing but great things to say about this medicine for me.

August 3, 2011 9:27 PM

Review by Christineee:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed gabapentin when I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It was for my panic attacks and anxiety. I went crazy with it the first couple of weeks taking way more than prescribed but that was the only way it worked for me. My doctor then upped my dose when I told him about it. He just started me off with the small dose to see how my body reacts to it. I love this medicine! Not to the point of addiction but because it calms me down and makes me think clearer whenever I freak out. There are no side effects at all for me. No dizziness, no grogginess no sleepiness. I function normally, I can even drive and work and study. It has helped me a lot. The dose that works best for me is 1500mg, I don't take it everyday anymore, just as needed.

July 31, 2011 12:00 AM

Review by efloyd105:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Periodic Limb Movement Disorder: Causes short term memory loss.

July 26, 2011 10:45 AM

Gabarone (gabapentin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: I am using this medicine for Peripheral Neuropathy (caused by Velcade) and it was marvelous for me. It stopped the feelings of stabbing pins and needles straight away in my hands and feet. I am taking 100mg 3 times a day and have only been taking it for a week.

July 25, 2011 9:18 PM

For Migraine: Just started this at 300mg at bedtime a few days ago, but after two days it stopped what had been a blinding 3-day headache. The migraine is still there but currently with no pain (this undoubtedly sounds stupid to non-migraineurs, but many with migraines will know what I mean.) I am wondering if anyone has experienced good results with this medicine but then had it suddenly stop working. This has happened to me with so many medications, including some like Verapamil that should NOT build tolerance.

July 25, 2011 4:16 PM

For Anxiety: Gabapentin is the most liberating medicine I have ever used. I have tried Effexor, Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Lamictal, Lithium, Phenibut, Kava, Theanine, -anything with implications of anxiolytic properties. Finding the right dosage can be a little tricky, but when that is tuned, this medication seems superior to any anxiety medication available. Side effects of too much- dizziness, fatigue.

July 17, 2011 10:27 AM

Review by fibrochickadee:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: I've been on it for 7 years now and it is amazing. I had to go off of it for awhile when I was in the hospital and I got to see how it actually helps me. All of my fibromyalgia pains and everything else came back. I was in so much pain until I went back on it. Now presto it has take 99% of the pain away. I am now able to move around and not let it slow me down or keep me in bed all day. So very effective for me. I tried Lyrica and it made me gain weight and made me very suicidal so I went on this and its a wonder drug. Hope it helps you too.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2011 5:53 PM

For : I had a lower back fusion a year ago and have been having a lot of pain in my lower back and also problems with the nerves in my legs. The doctor gave me Gabapentin 300mg. It seems to help a little bit, enough so I can at least sleep. At times the pain in my legs drove me nuts I had to fill up the bathtub with super hot water to help calm the pain in my legs down then run to bed to try and sleep before it started up again. But now since I have been taking this no more bath tub. THANKS TO MY NEW DOCTOR HE'S AWESOME.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2011 1:56 AM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Anxiety: I have had anxiety disorder with some symptoms of OCD for most of my life. This medicine works wonders. I feel so much more calmer with it. I feel a little slow after taking it but when you have high anxiety your "slow" may be the average persons "normal". It is certainly worth a shot. I am a 250lb man and I only take 300mg with great results. Never tried a higher dosage yet.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2011 9:34 AM

Review by emzgemz:

For Pain: I've had vague lower leg pain for years that was getting worse each year to the point that it was constant all day long. I was taking 1600 mg of ibuprofen a day. I finally mentioned this to a doctor who thought it might be nerve pain and prescribed gabapentin 3 times a day. It worked almost immediately. It decreased my dosage to twice a day and it still works.

June 18, 2011 7:52 PM

Review by amee83:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: I seem to get all of the side effects from medicines. In taking the smallest dose it seemed to help at first then I began to experience extreme dizzy spells caused by the Neurontin. I am now off and beginning a trial period of Cymbalta while I wait to see Rheumatology for more answers. Good Luck To All.

June 15, 2011 12:37 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Migraine: Suffered from migraines my whole life but the last 6-8 months they have been everyday, all day. I have tried so many medicines with no relief and recently my Doctor put me on Neurontin. This medicine works. I am on a low dose of 600 mg at night before bed and my days have been so much better. I still get some headaches, but not nearly the bad migraines I was getting. The doctor is going to increase my dose slowly until she gets me on the dose that works the best for me. But as for now, I am slowly getting my life back.

June 7, 2011 9:46 PM

For Peripheral Neuropathy: Gabapentin is the only thing I have found that reduces the chronic pain of a pinched nerve. I did gain a lot of weight since it has reduced my motivation. Also have acne which I never had before. Muscles feel tight and when working out they become sore quickly. No sense of anxiety, very calm. A lot of small side effects including almost zero sex drive, but the reduction of the BURNING, CRUSHING NEEDLE FILLED sensation in my foot it is worth it. Great medicine for severe, chronic pain.

June 4, 2011 4:08 PM