User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 1 reviews 741 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 570 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: I was just increased to 1500 mg a day of Neurontin for Chronic Back Pain and Fibromyalgia. I can tell that it takes the sharp edge off of the pain. It does help a little, but a little is better than nothing.

December 15, 2011 4:57 PM

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I was prescribed Gabapentin 300MG two to three times daily in conjunction with Percocet for pain related to Trigeminal Neuralgia. Taken together the pain was reduced by two thirds and became more of a dull pain as compared with the constant, sharp, burning red hot poker pain I had been experiencing. I noticed no ill effects from this combination. I was able to function, multitask, strategize and work as a purchaser without problem. I felt a little more carefree than is usual but this did not seem to transfer over into any decision making. The only drawback was that together this combination was only effective for four hours at a time.

December 11, 2011 3:25 PM

Review by M.D Shackle:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Restless Legs Syndrome: Neurontin 800mg is the best medication I have ever taken for any kind of nerve pain and it especially works with back pain and restless leg syndrome.

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2011 1:28 PM

For Fibromyalgia: I just took my first gabapentin this evening for my fibromyalgia. I am feeling extremely disoriented and groggy. I only took one and can't imagine taking 2 tomorrow, then 3 after that. It has helped with the pain, but I feel like I am not mentally clear. I pray this will finally be the miracle I have been searching for, for many many years.

November 29, 2011 11:29 PM

For Restless Legs Syndrome: Works VERY well for restless legs syndrome and trust me, I have tried them ALL! Good luck, I know this is a wretched thing to have.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2011 12:13 AM

Review by hscolnik:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Insomnia: Initially took it for shingles pain but found it to be great for sleeping and for settling down my occasional restless legs syndrome.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2011 5:42 AM

For Anxiety: Gabapentin has relatively few side effects - I can be a little dizzy - not much, plus it makes my eyes a little puffy. But it does take the edge off anxiety and can be taken as need, unlike so many other medicines. I take 600mg twice a day.

November 25, 2011 8:57 PM

Review by Ritzie:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Pain: I've been taking Neurontin now for 2 weeks and it does help with the pain but the side effects in my case are hazy feeling, cannot concentrate, feel sleepy and I've noticed I'm eating more. My doctor prescribed it together with Percocet for herniated discs, diabetic neuropathy, fibromialgia, osteopenia and a slew of other things. It does help but I work as a secretary for a law firm, which means I have to greet everyone that walks in the front door. I cannot afford not to be alert and this medication makes me feel like I don't want to or don't care to do anything. So what do I do? I need to take the medicines in order to be able to go to work but when I get there I don't want to do anything! Quite a dilemma!

November 21, 2011 1:19 AM

For Anxiety: I suffered with severe migraines several times a year. In my 30s, the migraines became more frequent, longer lasting, more severe. Accidentally discovered Xanax, lifted the migraine immediately. Xanax not being a long-term solution for many reasons, my neurologist prescribed gabapentin. I haven't had a migraine in over six years. I take 1200 mg a day, usually before bed, but have discovered that taking 300mg in the afternoon when anxiety kicks in and the rest at night has made a huge difference in anxiety. Anxiety runs in my family, migraines, too, and this medication works very well for me.

November 20, 2011 1:35 PM

Review by hick life:

For Hiccups: Love it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2011 10:23 AM

Review by Less Than Human:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Anxiety: Made me very agitated for the first few days. Had lingering side effects on the dose I am on. Often times makes me lightheaded, drunk feeling, high feeling, and gives me blurred vision, HOWEVER, it controls my panic disorder. I am on 600mg 3 times per day, using Klonopin as well to control anxiety. It makes my body physically unable to panic, which quells the anxiety.

November 14, 2011 9:08 AM

For Anxiety: I could not believe how wonderful I felt after taking this medicine. No more anxiety or restless legs. It is great. I even sleep better.

November 11, 2011 3:35 PM

Review by mom in anxiety hades:

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I take this medication for diabetic nerve damage. Today my son just had it prescribed for severe anxiety. His social anxiety is so severe he doesn't leave the house unless he had a dose of Klonopin or two. He is not able to work because of his intense panic and he vomits from intense nausea. When he told me the doctor prescribed him this medicine I started researching. I'm glad to hear good things and am hoping this will truly help him.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2011 6:26 AM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Anxiety: This has been a God send for my generalized anxiety. After being a heavy marijuana user, I was left with near-crippling amounts of anxiety in my daily life. Neurontin controls it very well and gave me my life back. I do still get panic attacks, but I use a benzodiazepine for those and it's been pretty good.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2011 4:23 PM

Review by harleychic44:

For Pain: I've been taking Neurontin 400mg 2 tabs 3 times a day along with other pain medicines for bad back pain and my elbow got shattered and it burns so bad that I could barely stand it until I took the Neurontin. Now that stops the burning but it does make you groggy so I needed my dose lowered. It works great for my headaches also. I take blood thinners so I'm limited to what pain medicines I can take but this one is the best I think...for the burning and the pain. It's a must to try it.

November 9, 2011 5:06 PM

For Anxiety: I have been dealing with anxiety, depression and was diagnosed as bipolar. I have been on Remeron at night to help me sleep and 1 mg or Klonopins 3 times a day. While that did help my depression, my panic attacks and anxiety still were horrible where I ruined a relationship just a day before I started the gabapentin. Now that I have taken this 3 times a day at 300 mg I have been able to rationalize and reason much better. I do notice I am a little dizzy at times but nothing horrible. If I only had this medication earlier I may not have lost my partner due to my actions.

November 9, 2011 1:58 PM

Review by samee77:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: One dose did the trick for me ... only 100mg.

November 6, 2011 11:54 AM

Review by diamondqd:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Pain: I was on all kinds of pain medicines and naproxen and Flexeril and still had pain until I went to a new doctor and he gave me this medicine. I don't understand why other doctors don't prescribe this medicine. It has helped my pain so much.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 1, 2011 11:22 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Vulvodynia: Made me tired in the beginning. Wouldn't say I'm cured, but I have so many more good days than bad.

November 1, 2011 9:50 PM

Review by hybridbn:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I have been taking gabapentin for years. Started after stopped drinking. Had a recent 3 mos alcoholic relapse and continued taking gabapentin during and after. Have been surprised by how easy the alcohol withdrawal has been. Am also taking Antabuse to avoid a slip but I don't think this is supposed to help reduce the desire to drink. Anyway, the biggest reason I wanted to post is that I want to caution anyone who tries to get off gabapentin to do so very slowly like maybe reduce by 100 mg or 10% /week whichever is less. I have had horrible anxiety, shivers, sweats, racing thoughts, sleepnessless, pain and more trying to get off it.

October 30, 2011 12:31 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Immediate relief from foot pain. I CAN WALK AGAIN!

October 28, 2011 6:38 PM

For Benign Essential Tremor: I am a 45yr old African American female who has had Essential Tremor since birth. I have tried numerous drugs over the years but found Valium to be my medication to control the tremors until I was prescribed Neurontin and Inderal [for my high blood pressure] about two weeks ago. Neurontin was TOTALLY successful in controlling my hand and body tremors. I was able to carry a large drink that didn't have a lid around with me at a concert this weekend without SPILLING IT and I am SO HAPPY that I was prescribed this medicine. I've heard of it during the last couple of years but finally tried it out. Valium wasn't as effective. Now I will feel so much more confident when I go to my boyfriends family's Thanksgiving dinner...So happy.

October 26, 2011 12:09 PM

Review by ElleK:

For Migraine: I have suffered with constant daily headaches and frequent debilitating migraines for the past couple of years. In the beginning the only relief I could get was to go to the ER for IV medications. It was to the point where I was either constantly in bed in pain, or at the ER. Finally I was referred to a neurologist who started me on Zonisamide. That helped at first, but then the headaches became constant again. Also, I was losing too much weight on the zonisamide (I was already underweight and had trouble gaining). Finally, my neurologist switched me to gabapentin, and it has helped a lot. I still get some headaches, but they aren't as often or as severe. Side effect was some loss of balance and forgetfulness. And I'm finally gaining weight!

October 25, 2011 9:41 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: I started taking Neurontin for fibromyalgia pain about 2 weeks ago. It has made such a huge difference in my life already! I have energy now and I am actually sleeping regularly, first time in over 3 years. The only side effect I am experiencing is clumsiness. I keep dropping everything and tripping. But, I think that's a small price to pay for relief!

October 25, 2011 3:57 PM

Review by Nan7:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I have taken this for a little over a year. It worked great in the beginning, but slowly over time it has stopped working, even with an increase in dosage. I just switched to Lyrica in combination with Celebrex. We'll see how it works.

October 13, 2011 9:37 AM