User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 13)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 990 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Anxiety: "I suffer from panic attacks that have been occurring for the last four years, the had me on a medication regiment of Xanax, two mgs four times a day and Clonazepam 1mg two times a day, and I in turn became dependant on those. So for the last month I tapered myself off of the Xanax and Clonazepam and was subsequently put on Gapapentin and I have to say I've never felt better. This medication has been the only thing that has helped as much as the better than Benzo's. I must say this medication really is a miracle anxiety drug. Nothing has EVER worked like this and I shoud add I've tryed over 30 medications to stop my severe anxiety, I hope this helps at least one person."

Wikid June 18, 2015

223 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I am 49 and been suffering with fibromyalgia for years. I have been disabled because of it. Six weeks ago I had the worst flare up in years and the pain was so overwhelming I barely left the house. I got a new doctor who gave me Gabapentin and started me out on the lowest dose possible. I had never heard of it but assumed because of the low dose, 100 mg to start with it would take a while to feel any effects. I woke up the next morning almost pain free. I felt like I won the lottery. I don't understand what or why it worked so fast but I thank God for it. I do have drowsiness but it's well worth it. I have had some pain some then and am still building up my dosage but my quality of life has improved drastically in just a few days."

NinaRenee June 10, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "Have had peripheral neuropathy and restless legs for over ten years. I take 100 mg of gabapentin before bed. It worked wonders for my RLS for many years, but I may soon need to increase the dose somewhat. It has not had any apparent effect on my neuropathy."

Chattanooga Man (taken for 10 years or more) June 9, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Was prescribed Gabapentin for Neuropathy from Type 2 diabetes. Developed swelling of feet and ankles, but did not help the "numbness" of my feet and ankles. Praying for something that would help with the numbness without the swelling occurring!"

Hokies June 8, 2015

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed gabapentin for sleep 200 mg. This is my first week giving it a go, I will post back after one week. I have been ulta sensitive to other given, I am hopeful this one will work. My sister takes it for nerve pain with success..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

For Migraine: "I started having migraine headaches when I was 14. The first time I had one, I was sitting in Biology class and could not see the faces of other students around me. I was terrified and had a panic attack. The school nurse thought I was on drugs and called my mother who immediately took me to a doctor. The migraines continued through out my life and caused me difficulty in my employment. I am a solo practitioner lawyer. When I would get one in court, I could not see, speak or think. Obviously, I had migraines with an aura. My family doctor only treated the pain, but finally I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed Gabapentin and Lexapro. My migraines stopped completely. It has been seven months now and I am migraine free."

dvl June 6, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "After just a week, it started to exacerbate my restless leg. It got so bad even homeopathics wouldn't work!"

Davies444 (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "Was placed on Requip. It was somewhat effective with breakthroughs. A neurologist ordered Gabapentin, 1a day for a week, then two a day. Complete relief, thank God."

Mygrey June 5, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "Gabapentin has been great for reducing my hot flashes! I was prescribed this medication after chemotherapy for nerve pain. It stop the nerve pain in my hands and feet. It also helped with restless leg syndrome."

Ernestine Jane June 5, 2015

For Small Fiber Neuropathy: "Symptoms of my Small Fiber are burning, prickling and deep pain in extremities. Gabapentin felt like it worked for the first few days. But then needed to be upped to the next dose after about 5 days. Then the cycle continued. some relief, then needed to be upped again. In my case i found my body built up a tolerance too quickly. Was up to 3000mg and experience no relief at all. Its very hit or miss when it comes to small fiber neuropathy."

ptrac30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I kept thinking it was a quirk or just me well it works. If i miss my nightly doss I have a Night of hot, cold. Hot, cold all night."

sherry m star June 2, 2015

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "excellent for alcohol withdrawals and also for abstaining from alcohol as far as I'm concerned though it does not help me sleep better... maybe I'm just too hyper active"

uddergutter (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

For Insomnia: "A TRIPLE-CROWN WINNER! First, this wonder drug eliminated my chronic migraines. Second, it has done wonders for mild insomnia. By "mild" I mean go to sleep fast, but wake up in a couple of hours staring at the ceiling. This cycle repeats several times a night. Gabapentin eliminated that problem. Now with only 200 mg before bedtime, I sleep all the way through the night! It also has the added benefit of helping nerve pain in my neck. I take Gab with prescription Advil (for arthritis in neck) when the pain is at a high level and the combo really helps bring down the intensity of the pain to a manageable level. Added bonus? Absolutely NO side effects. :)"

biscotti (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

For Migraine: "I have been having chronic migraines for 5 years now and probably 50 other prescriptions wrote for me and finally gabapentin is like a miracle for me.My migraines were 24/7 with tension in shoulders and neck. Felt little tired and strange first day but great relief now. My doctor and neurologist all but gave up on me and was filling pretty depressed. Thank you gabapentin!!!!!"

shmo May 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on Gabapentin for about 2 years. I had severe anxiety and tried Amitriptyline and Citalopram without success. I take 3 x 300mg Gabapentin a day and my anxiety has certainly decreased quite significantly. I still have the occasional 'black cloud' day, but I can honestly say these tablets have definately tsken the edge off it. I sleep better, have not gained weight and do not feel like a zombie. For me, Gabapentin has been a good alternative to usual antidepressants."

Jane68 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2015

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Great medication. I acquired RLS from abrupt discontinuation of benzodiazepines, and this has been the only thing that helps. Ambien on its own doesn't put me to sleep, but 5mg in conjunction with 400mg of neurontin helps me so much. I've had insomnia almost every night for the past 2 months, and I am so glad my doctor prescribed me this!!!"

pulledover May 23, 2015

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I was prescribed gabapentin while I was in the hospital after an alcohol related accident. They started me on this while I was in a Xanax induced coma to help with seizures; I had been an alcoholic for 15 years. That was 10/20/13. So many people in the recovery community praise this as a wonder drug, and I agree. I take 600mg 3 times daily, which is double where I started. The only time I notice the drug is when I'm not on it and my anxiety rises and temper gets short. This drug in combination with a recovery plan is a Godsend. Haven't had a drink since."

J.M. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

For Pain: "I have had pain in my left leg and various other places on the body for years and when I was prescribed this medication, it was gone the next day. I had more energy, pain was gone, felt better in the mornings and lost any depression I had."

n132rcc May 20, 2015

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "Very moderate pain relief."

old grouch (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2015

For Pain: "I'm 53 year old male. First back surgery was when I was 30. Have had 5 lower back surgeries total. Last one was a fusion L5-S1. Big mistake. Major nerve damage and left my left leg, mostly my foot and toes numb. Have been on hydrocodone for years and years, which helped, but you build up a tolerance. My new pain doctor asked me if I had ever taken Neurontin? I advised no. He wrote me a script of 300mg up to 4 a day. It has made a major difference in pain level. I only take one hydrocodone a day and that is when I first wake up. Downside is feeling groggy and dry mouth, but I can deal with that. Big difference in my life now. Much better."

mid tenn May 12, 2015

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I have been on Gabapentin for 15 months. My dose is two 600mg tablets a day for a total of 1200mg in a 24-hour period. I was prescribed Gabapentin for alcoholism first, anxiety second. This medication is a God send. After drinking 10-15 alcohol drinks a day for 40 years, within a week I quit and had no side effects from withdrawal - plus the anxiety went away. I do NOT crave alcohol at all. It is so weird. I thought it wouldn't work until I tried it - and it does work! It was THAT quick. I suggest everyone with an alcohol problem that wants to quit but is deathly afraid to do so, ask your doctor for gabapentin. It is non-addictive like benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax). AA never worked for me. Gabapentin, IMO replaces AA."

Gaba-Lover May 12, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "20 years ago I was experiencing 33 hot flushes (I'm British!) in 24 hours, this had gone on for about five years. Nothing worked for me. I read an article on trials that had taken place in the US, took it to my doctor and we started me on Gabapentin. Well, it was a godsend. I'm not at the top of the dosage level and so I have some minor 'warm' periods but nothing I can't cope with. After that my doctor put all her ladies on it who were having a bad time. I'd recommend it to anyone. No cost to me because we have the National Health Service in this coutnry."

Spreckles (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on gabapentin about 2 yrs. I take it with Wellbutrin, since Wellbutrin by itself, just causes too much anxiety for me. It is wonderful, helps the anxiety, and moods, relaxes and calms me, yet doesn't make me real tired. I take 300mg x 3, which is 900 mg a day, and it is perfect, if I need an extra one, I take it, since my script is for 4 a day, and I only take 3. Good stuff. Oh, also, it helps with some of my muscle pain as well. Another thing I've noticed, it decreases my appetite, and I lose weight, my weight stays stable."

cvoor May 11, 2015

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine: "I had been taking topomax and Botox injections. They helped initially, the Botox helps within one week, sometimes two. I got injections ev'y 3 mths. Quit working after awhile. Now on gabapentin. Seems to be helping somewhat on higher dose but weight gain is horrible! I do not have increased appetite nor eat more either. Not sure what to do about it. Can't keep increasing weight."

Charleyrules May 9, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been on 600 mg in the morning (an hour or more before I get out of bed) and 1200 mg. at 6:30 p.m. for a bedtime of 10:00 p.m. In almost a month I've had a return of my "can do" attitude, a reduction in pain, a seeming improvement in memory and the greatest sleep in years. Unfortunately I've also had a 16 pound weight gain. I am already obese, so this is a huge problem. It breaks my heart because for the first time in 27 years I've been excited to have a flower garden again. Before that I had no interest because even the thought of it was too overwhelming due to pain. Dizziness was a very bad problem at first but I was down in bed anyway for other problems so it didn't matter to me. That wore off (mostly) in three weeks."

dresan (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2015