User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 13)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 965 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I had hip replacement surgery on my left hip in 2011. Surgery went fine, but I developed RSD in my left foot. It's a long story, with me thinking I was going to die from the pain, to going to the ER one day, on the advice of the home health nurse that came 3 times a week to my house, to my surgeon sending me to a Pain Management Specialist. He did a nerve block and most of the burning pain was gone. He put me on a gradually increasing schedule of Gabapentin, which works very well. If this awful thing had to happen to me, I'm very grateful that Gabapentin works for me and allows me to function. I have some days when I'm feeling a bit of burning, but it's not bad. Most days I'm fine. I have a brace-dropfoot-but I manage. Thank God!"

Bev. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

Gabarone (gabapentin) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "My restless leg syndrome results in cramp-like pains that nothing seems to help. Until I took 300 mg of Gabapentin. It definitely took care of the pain, but it left me feeling drunk the next morning! I was staggering when I walked and had great difficulty waking up. This lasted for several hours after I woke up. Thankfully, this only happened the first couple of times that I took Gabapentin. Unfortunately, it was only effective at 300 mg for about two weeks. I was supposed to move up to two capsules (600 mg total) after the first week, but hadn't out of fear of the side effects and at first it seemed unnecessary. Once the pain came back, I added the 2nd capsule and the tired, groggy feeling lasted all day! I'm not going to keep taking it."

spiffywife (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Chronic finger twitching. I use this drug for my fibromyalgia that attacks my face. I cry out in pain when the cycle last anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Even my hydrocodone doesn't work on my face. Gabapentine works great on taking the edge off. The only side effect I don't like is the chronic finger twitching."

dinamite May 1, 2015

For Anxiety: "Gabapentin 200mg. definitely helps my anxiety. I know because I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back..I don't have panic attacks but a low level fear of the future, dread, etc..Gabapentin helps a lot."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I only take 100 mg. at night, occasionally 200 and it really does help me sleep. I feel more refreshed in the morning also like I got better, deeper sleep. I have Fibromyalgia and have had problems with insomnia for 25 years."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia around my left ear and neck and prescribed Neruda which is Turkish pills including Gabapentin. I started taking 300mg first day, 600mg on 2nd day than 900mg on 3rd and following days. After 3rd day it cut off my pain immediately. But after 1 month pain started again but this time at the right side of my head around my ear. I started using this medicine again and this time it diminished the pain level a bit but didn't really cut it off. Hoping to get well again."

AWACSMAN (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm 52 years old and felt my life was meaningless, and extremely hard facing everyday routines and now I'm sitting in the garage and feel like I could sit here all day. This is my second day and I feel the best I have in 30 years. Before I couldn't sit here without my mind racing a million times a second and getting up and feeling anxious. I took the day off from work not knowing what my anxiety was going to do, but look forward to going to work tomorrow. So far life is good and I hope this is the miracle drug I've been longing for."

Minnesota Vet (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I was having bad hot flashes and I was taking estrogen, it helps but not much, I did some research, hot flashes are neurological, that's why they work so well! I'm so happy with how they work for me, I hope all women can be helped by this medicine. I Don't take that new medicine called brisdelle it's basically just a 8mg Paxil. neurontin helps with my pain and anxiety also, do research you'll be surprised what meds could help besides estrogen."

JerriLee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been taking gabatin for relief of fibromyalgia for two and a half years. At first the medication worked tremendously well. However in the beginning it relieved my migraines but now my migraines are back so badly and are so much worse than ever before. I also have horrible vision now cannot sleep and my depression is severe. I go back to my neurologist on May the 11th and I am going to insist that he changed my medication and get me off this gabapentin as it is not effective anymore. I believe from experience long term use is not a great idea!"

EskieLuver (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2015

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Took this med for 4 days. It made me dizzy and tired all the time. On the third night I started to have nightmares, which I never had before. So on to another med to try for my pain."

Gdunk April 24, 2015

For Pain: "Took it for Inguinal Hernia (Post-op Pain). Wow. Wow. Wow. That's all I can say. This medicine finally, finally let me have my life back. Back in Oct 2014 I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. It really hurt, it felt like someone was always tugging at my testicle (I know, great right?) and groin pain, and I couldn't work out, and it was terrible. Anyway, I had surgery in early Dec 2014 and I definitely felt better, but the testicle pain NEVER went away. I went to the surgeon for 3-4 follow-ups and some days the pain was better and others worse, but it never went away. Long story short, Gababentin finally took away 95-99% of the pain. I started first month on 300mg, 3x day. Now after 2 months I'm going to 600mg 3x a day. It's not perfect, but I'm getting close!"

Mbs199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "It really helps my nerve pain but it's making my face look bloated."

Heartinflag (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "After 8 months of sleep problems caused by anxiety started to take 3x300mg. First two days were amazing. No more anxiety when falling a sleep and during a day. After 5 days started to noticing anxiety again so went up to 600x2 300x1. Its totally miracle drug. No more anxiety, I feel calm and relax with social situations and have proper deep sleep. I love it!"

Carpiu April 17, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on Neurontin for a month now. This medicine was given to me for chronic neck pain from an injury 30 years ago. I did not mention to the neurologist that I suffered from severe anxiety and panic disorder, I was taking at least 1 dose of Xnax daily for daily panic attacks. Since starting on neurontin I have only had to take Xanax 1 time, I am not in chronic pain any longer. This medication has changed my life in so many ways. My husband told me in tears that he has his wife back. My work has completely changed around, I love my job again, I love life again, and I am pain free!!!!!!"

No more Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was Rx'd gabapentin to address the agitated/mood-swingy feelings I still had after being Rx'd Lamictal to address my highly recurrent depression. Lamictal addresses the big problem of depression and gabapentin is like the final touch that makes things peaceful/balanced. I take 3-400 mg right before work (PRN) and I can get through the day stable, calm and able to focus on what I need to do. If I forget to take a dose, I'll finally realize how agitated/emotional I am by around 10:30. I'll take my dose and within an hour I'm back to normal. It's really great. No side-effects that I notice. I take it PRN, like a benzo replacement, so sometimes I'll take 2-300 mgs in the afternoon if I think something stressful is coming up. Great med!"

Good Stuff! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Extreme peripheral neuropathy in both legs from knee down. Without drug I have extreme burning sensation and muscle cramps in those areas. I had been on 60 mg. Methadone for about 20 years for joint and muscle pain. When I first took Gabapentin I got side effects of extreme nausea, headaches, and general around not feeling well so I stopped taking the Gabapentin. A new doctor insisted I stopped taking the Methadone pending an electric neural stimulator insertions to my spine. I detoxed from the Methadone at 5 mg. a week and after twelve weeks I was off it. When I started taking the Gabapentin it worked superbly, problems reduced about 90-95%. Shift to 40-50 mg. Percocet per day took care of joint/muscle pain about as well as Methadone."

Richard S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

For Anxiety: "Please don't take this medication. I have anxiety and fibromyalgia and I am prescribed 800 MG three times a day. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I ran out of Neurontin 5 days ago. The withdrawal has been terrible. I know, Neurontin "doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms" but it does, and I've read all over the internet that I am not alone. I have quit opiate pain killers cold turkey and over came a severe cocaine addiction in my youth, these things are child's play compared to not having Neurontin. I was sweating, shivering, constipated, and the anxiety made me consider checking into a psych ward and asking them to throw away the key, I cried for hours, I can't express how horrific it was and I read it can last a year!"

Firesqurl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2015

For Migraine: "I take 1800 mg for the last three months. I have suffered aquired brain injury from viral encephalitis. One of my main problems is ice pick headaches and ringing in both ears. While I have been taking this medication my neurologist recommend that I also receive Botox injections. Also with no help, next injections take place in two weeks. I was informed that the first time of injections do not expect to much."

Oromocto April 13, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on this medicine for a month. I can't believe how much better I feel. My body is not sore anymore. My shouldes were almost frozen. Now I have total usage of them. It's a miracle drug for me"

Cindy Marie April 9, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I just started taking gabapentin 300 mg 3 times a day... wow my legs feel no more pain...I can walk easy have more desire to do things...it's a miracle. ...I'm so happy to have found this medicine."

shannon3343 April 6, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started taking gabapentin in treatment as a mood stabilizer. It was extremely effective at first! However, after about a year, it started making me feel dizzy, disoriented and lightheaded at only 600 mg, so I started to use it for sleep. Now, I take 300 mg paired with my Adderall XR twice a day, and 600 mg at night."

cjoy79 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I started taking the drug with very low expectations and am surprised by how much the Fibro has gone away. Just gone. I still have pain but now instead of overwhelming my Doctor with a complaint of "everything hurts," I can point point the actual spots in my body where something is structurally wrong. What a blessing. I'm taking 300 mg at night, a dosage that I built up to over the course of a month."

Maureen B. April 6, 2015

For Pain: "I am up to 400 mg Gabapentin, it is effective for my restless legs but my doctor wants to increase it to see if it will help my severe low back and sciatica pain. My right leg is dragging right now so there is a lot of inflammation involved. My side effects are severe dry mouth which is bad as I already have dental problems. I also am dizzy to the point of falling, which re injures my back and sleep anywhere, including on the toilet if I get up to use it at night. I want off this pill because I also have a nasty headache."

No nickname April 6, 2015

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet. It developed suddenly and was the initial indicator that I had diabetes. It feels like I'm walking on burning coals. I can't even let the sheets touch my feet at night because they are too rough. After my diabetes diagnosis and learning to give myself insulin shots I talked with my doctor about the increasing dibilitating pain in my feet. He prescribed Gabapentin and it was like a miracle! My pain was gone immediately. However, within two weeks I called the doctor back complaining of increased foot pain. He increased the dose to one 300 mg capsule twice a day. My podiatrist says this is a good sign because the nerves in my feet are coming back to life. Now I'm calling asking for another increase."

Rara61 April 6, 2015

Neurontin (gabapentin) for : "I use to be addicted to xanax even though my first doctor in NC told me the drug was not addicted. I have gone from taking 3mg of xanax to almost not taking the drug at all. I can focus much better and the sleep is unbelievable. A dreamlike state. I sometimes sleep through my first alarm, but eventually wake up. At first I feel groggy, but after a shower I feel great. I feel like with any other drug your body builds up a tolerance and my doctor has gradually increases my dosage. This is a wonder drug for me. I wish I would have known about it before getting addicted to xanax. The blurred vision eventually goes away."

ncguy71 April 4, 2015