User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 1 reviews 741 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 560 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Anxiety: I could not believe how wonderful I felt after taking this medicine. No more anxiety or restless legs. It is great. I even sleep better.

November 11, 2011 3:35 PM

Review by mom in anxiety hades:

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I take this medication for diabetic nerve damage. Today my son just had it prescribed for severe anxiety. His social anxiety is so severe he doesn't leave the house unless he had a dose of Klonopin or two. He is not able to work because of his intense panic and he vomits from intense nausea. When he told me the doctor prescribed him this medicine I started researching. I'm glad to hear good things and am hoping this will truly help him.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2011 6:26 AM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Anxiety: This has been a God send for my generalized anxiety. After being a heavy marijuana user, I was left with near-crippling amounts of anxiety in my daily life. Neurontin controls it very well and gave me my life back. I do still get panic attacks, but I use a benzodiazepine for those and it's been pretty good.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2011 4:23 PM

Review by harleychic44:

For Pain: I've been taking Neurontin 400mg 2 tabs 3 times a day along with other pain medicines for bad back pain and my elbow got shattered and it burns so bad that I could barely stand it until I took the Neurontin. Now that stops the burning but it does make you groggy so I needed my dose lowered. It works great for my headaches also. I take blood thinners so I'm limited to what pain medicines I can take but this one is the best I think...for the burning and the pain. It's a must to try it.

November 9, 2011 5:06 PM

For Anxiety: I have been dealing with anxiety, depression and was diagnosed as bipolar. I have been on Remeron at night to help me sleep and 1 mg or Klonopins 3 times a day. While that did help my depression, my panic attacks and anxiety still were horrible where I ruined a relationship just a day before I started the gabapentin. Now that I have taken this 3 times a day at 300 mg I have been able to rationalize and reason much better. I do notice I am a little dizzy at times but nothing horrible. If I only had this medication earlier I may not have lost my partner due to my actions.

November 9, 2011 1:58 PM

Review by samee77:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: One dose did the trick for me ... only 100mg.

November 6, 2011 11:54 AM

Review by diamondqd:

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Pain: I was on all kinds of pain medicines and naproxen and Flexeril and still had pain until I went to a new doctor and he gave me this medicine. I don't understand why other doctors don't prescribe this medicine. It has helped my pain so much.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 1, 2011 11:22 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Vulvodynia: Made me tired in the beginning. Wouldn't say I'm cured, but I have so many more good days than bad.

November 1, 2011 9:50 PM

Review by hybridbn:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I have been taking gabapentin for years. Started after stopped drinking. Had a recent 3 mos alcoholic relapse and continued taking gabapentin during and after. Have been surprised by how easy the alcohol withdrawal has been. Am also taking Antabuse to avoid a slip but I don't think this is supposed to help reduce the desire to drink. Anyway, the biggest reason I wanted to post is that I want to caution anyone who tries to get off gabapentin to do so very slowly like maybe reduce by 100 mg or 10% /week whichever is less. I have had horrible anxiety, shivers, sweats, racing thoughts, sleepnessless, pain and more trying to get off it.

October 30, 2011 12:31 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Immediate relief from foot pain. I CAN WALK AGAIN!

October 28, 2011 6:38 PM

For Benign Essential Tremor: I am a 45yr old African American female who has had Essential Tremor since birth. I have tried numerous drugs over the years but found Valium to be my medication to control the tremors until I was prescribed Neurontin and Inderal [for my high blood pressure] about two weeks ago. Neurontin was TOTALLY successful in controlling my hand and body tremors. I was able to carry a large drink that didn't have a lid around with me at a concert this weekend without SPILLING IT and I am SO HAPPY that I was prescribed this medicine. I've heard of it during the last couple of years but finally tried it out. Valium wasn't as effective. Now I will feel so much more confident when I go to my boyfriends family's Thanksgiving dinner...So happy.

October 26, 2011 12:09 PM

Review by ElleK:

For Migraine: I have suffered with constant daily headaches and frequent debilitating migraines for the past couple of years. In the beginning the only relief I could get was to go to the ER for IV medications. It was to the point where I was either constantly in bed in pain, or at the ER. Finally I was referred to a neurologist who started me on Zonisamide. That helped at first, but then the headaches became constant again. Also, I was losing too much weight on the zonisamide (I was already underweight and had trouble gaining). Finally, my neurologist switched me to gabapentin, and it has helped a lot. I still get some headaches, but they aren't as often or as severe. Side effect was some loss of balance and forgetfulness. And I'm finally gaining weight!

October 25, 2011 9:41 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: I started taking Neurontin for fibromyalgia pain about 2 weeks ago. It has made such a huge difference in my life already! I have energy now and I am actually sleeping regularly, first time in over 3 years. The only side effect I am experiencing is clumsiness. I keep dropping everything and tripping. But, I think that's a small price to pay for relief!

October 25, 2011 3:57 PM

Review by Nan7:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I have taken this for a little over a year. It worked great in the beginning, but slowly over time it has stopped working, even with an increase in dosage. I just switched to Lyrica in combination with Celebrex. We'll see how it works.

October 13, 2011 9:37 AM

Review by MesaAZLady65:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: Last year I went off gabapentin as I wanted to get a pilots license. The FAA was so nasty because I have diabetes that I guess I will never get the medical clearance. Lately the neuropathy got so severe I couldn't stand it so gradually worked my way back up to 9-100 mg a day. What a difference. I may need more later. I did notice a few pounds packed on, and a bit of a blur in my eye with the new lens implant. Now that I know it is the gabapentin putting the weight on, I can be more careful as I want to maintain my figure. Lyrica made me nuts and I had terrible mood swings. Once I got up to 700 mg of gabapentin, I noticed a big relief.

October 12, 2011 1:59 AM

Review by danforeman:

For Bipolar Disorder: Finally after every medicine known for use in treating Bi-Polar Gabapentin was the key when it was coupled with Lamictal.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2011 2:20 AM

Review by lilbear61701:

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: I have had this since I was 19 and now am 32. The doctors I have had in the past always controlled my symptoms with narcotic pain medicines. This medicine worked for me at 600mg but they just increased the dose because it seemed like the pain was back in full force and worse but it is an amazing medicine. Just need to find the right dose. The only thing that I do not like is it makes my hormones race but my husband loves it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2011 6:38 PM

For Pain: I had a herniated disc problem at L5 S1. Doctors suggested I take 100 mg daily twice and it works very well.

September 26, 2011 1:29 PM

For Anxiety: I love this medicine. I used to get incredibly anxious at night - NOTHING could help me. My doctor prescribed this and the FIRST night I felt better. My mind was not cycling through "scary" thoughts that used to plague me. I was able to rationalize much easier. I'm just so glad to finally have something that helps.

September 23, 2011 8:05 PM

For Anxiety: I was having terrible issue with anxiety which was resulting in severe and unrelenting headaches. Added to the fact that I am pre-menopausal, I had not felt like myself in at least a year. I went to the psychiatrist who continued my Celexa and started me on a very small dose of Neurontin at 100 mg 3 times daily. I am only taking it twice daily to avoid the foggy feeling. It has only been 3 days and I can honestly say, I feel like a new person... or should I say, the person I used to be. I was skeptical that Neurontin could do so much to relieve my anxiety, but it works for me, and my headache and constant neck tension/pain is gone. I am so glad my psychiatrist realizes the benefits of this medication and that she prescribed it for me.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2011 8:35 AM

For Epilepsy: I am 30 years old, and I have epilepsy. I just came off of Tegretol and only on gabepentin after asking my neurologist if I could please. At single doses of 600mg 3 times a day, I feel like my anxiety goes away, but my head can feel groggy. I actually have panic attacks, anxiety attacks, depression as a result of epilepsy. I do like Gabapentin if it prevents seizures. Last night I felt nuts, and racing thoughts. Maybe I need to up my doses to 1200mg at night instead of 600mg. I do sleep very well once I do crash. It can make me a calmer and hungry. I couldn't survive, literally, without it. I know I would have seizures and panic attacks. Side effects...very few compared to Tegretol.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2011 5:20 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Fibromyalgia: It would be nice if there were a once daily extended release capsule. 3 times daily is hard. Don't forget either.

September 6, 2011 11:54 PM

Review by jwajules:

For Vulvodynia: I was prescribed gabapentin a year and a half ago for Vulvodynia. Initially, gabepentin did not help with the burning. I had to go way beyond 2000 mgs. Once the dose was increased, it definitely helped with the burning nerve pain. I would say it cut my pain by about 60%. Unfortunately, I have had to add other medicines to gabapentin overtime to help with the burning pain. I added Lyrica and then Cymbalta. I'm on 3600 mgs of gabapentin along with the other two medications. My burning is pretty bad again. Gabapentin worked for awhile but, now I need to switch medicines. I had no side effects on this medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2011 9:20 PM

Review by Gamafan:

For Anxiety: I have been taking gabapentin for about a week now and it has literally saved my life! I was having such incredible nervous energy that was affecting my sleep, relationships, daily routine, etc. I was having a meltdown everyday with lots of physical pain (mostly stomach). This medicine calmed everything down and is helping me feel normal again! Thanks to a good doctor...this really worked well. Can't say enough good things. I smiled this morning when I woke up for the first time in years!

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2011 3:20 PM

For Anxiety: I've been taking Gabapentin for three years to relieve my anxiety symptoms; 1800mg twice daily. Although I started at a much smaller dose in the beginning and did feel groggy at times my body is now completely accustomed to it. This is the only medication I have tried that allows me to function normally on a daily basis without feeling side effects. I highly recommend it to patients with GAD who don't respond to other medications.

August 24, 2011 12:40 PM