User Reviews for Furosemide

Also known as: Diaqua-2, Lasix, Lo-Aqua

Learn more about Furosemide.

Renal Failure 0 reviews 7 medications

Renal Transplant 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Furosemide reviews 36 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Furosemide

Review by Choir pork:

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: My cardiologist put me on Lasix over a month ago due to edema of the legs and ankles. My rate of urination was about every 45 minutes nowhere as bad as some of the reviewers. I refilled my prescription and noticed an immediate change. Instead of every 45 minutes, it changed to every hour and a half. The only difference is the manufacturer. The Lasix made by Sandoz seems to work fine.

April 13, 2014 7:41 PM

Review by Tressie McReynolds (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Edema: I am only 34 and suffer from a serious back injury so I have periodical need for the massive pitting edema I tend to show up with from time to time. And this does it's job!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2014 5:15 AM

Review by Linzybabe:

For Pulmonary Edema: Right after surgery, I had a fever, confusion, my blood pressure and rate of breathing went very low. I had not pee'd for several hours, I had an oxygen level of 60 while I was sleepy and out of it. I was given 60mg of Lasix and not even 15 minutes later I was non stop peeing, my blood pressure and rate of breathing picked up quite a lot. I can't even imagine that the pee kept going on and on with the girls using bedpans for me. I was just out of surgery so that was necessary. Doctor kept the oxygen level up to an 8 for the rest of the night. I believe that the medicine saved my life even though I threw up on it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by JohnHalo:

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I stated taking Furosemide yesterday for swelling in my feet and ankles. Right after taking it I had to make a 100 mile drive and ended up stopping 5 times en route to pee. The swelling has already decreased a LOT, and I am able to walk again without pain. I had pretty bad nausea after both doses. I am taking 40 mg once a day. I had to call in sick today as the nausea was causing vomiting. I'll try taking it after work. I went back to bed after calling in sick today and my cat that always sleeps on me was quite annoyed at trips to the bathroom every 10 minutes.

January 28, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by sister lukr (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: Feet ankles and legs still badly swollen each day.

January 27, 2014 4:19 PM

Review by Msluvlee27:

For Edema: I have had several experiences with Lasix. The first time I was on it I lost a lot of the edema but then it came back. I have nephrotic syndrome which comes and goes. So I currently have to be on the Lasix for periods at a time. Yes it does cause painful muscle spasms that are caused to losing potassium and basically being dried out from constant urination. This time around Lasix seems to be working better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by luvzcatz (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Edema: I was reading skinny ankles post and I go through the same thing. I'm no doctor, but my doctor told me that the Lasix causes low potassium levels which cause body cramps. I get them really bad. I have some potassium OTC pills but my doctor advised me not to take them all the time, they can do more harm then good, so I just take them when I really need them. Try that with caution, it might help you. Seems likes all medicines causes more problems.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 2:56 PM

Review by Lemanski:

For High Blood Pressure: I am surprised to see that no one had listed furosemide for treating high blood pressure. I also take Atenolol. However, when I increased my furos from 20 to 40 I was very pleasantly surprised to see my BP go down from 140 to 115. I did this on my own and my Dr. was surprised that I had such good effects on my health and continued this dose. I take 20 twice a day. I has also had a good effect on my urinary incontinence which also is much better now.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2013 12:13 PM

Review by Clint3:

For Edema: I was initially prescribed hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) for edema associated with nephrotic syndrome and it worked very well and swelling in my feet, hands, and face began going away. Then I saw a nephrologist who said I needed furosemide instead of HCTZ. I started taking 20mg/day and the swelling began coming back. The doc said give it some time, you probably ate a salty meal or something. Well the edema really never did completely go away again. I had a kidney biopsy and then was put on Prednisone 60 mg/day and swelling really got bad, gained about 25 pounds water. Doc bumped me up to 40mg/day furosemide and it still didn't work. I still had some HCTZ 50mg left so I tried them and lost 4 pounds water the first day.

October 10, 2013 6:32 AM

Review by T42Grammy (taken for less than 1 month):

Lasix (furosemide) for Heart Failure: Experienced palpitations.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 3:42 PM

Review by Fredfertang (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Edema: I WAS TOLD MY MY GP TO TAKE ONE A DAY FOR A MONTH, & THEN GO ON TO TWO A DAY. One a day was fine, the swelling was coming right, very slowly, but obviously. BUT two a day and I could barely stand upright, plus ringing in my ears. I've reverted to one a day.

September 20, 2012 9:09 AM

Review by rick1946 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Heart Failure: I've been taking furosemide since my mid 30s, because of heart issues. Today I'm 66! My experiences have mostly been positive. Only negative is; extreme urgency and frequency to urinate.

August 26, 2012 3:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lasix (furosemide) for : This has helped swelling, but becomes tiring.

June 25, 2012 11:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I started taking Lasix 6/23. After 1 night I can tell a difference in the fluid around my left kidney and liver. The pressure is less. Thank you Lasix.

June 24, 2012 9:51 PM

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I have a genetic condition called Venous Insufficiency, which doesn't allow the blood & fluid to be returned from my lower legs & feet, so they swell and the skin can start to break down, which opens up the opportunity for infection. Have been taking Furosemide 40mg 1x day for over a year now - it is the only thing that keeps me from being in the hospital all the time with infections that require IV antibiotics. The only side effects I've noticed are the very frequent urination (not really a side effect, it's what the drug is *supposed* to do, as it flushes fluids out of the body), and aching in my legs and feet as the fluid leaves - I can only assume that is caused by my body trying to push the fluid out.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2012 10:57 AM

For Edema: This is my first time taking this type of medication, and I've been on 40mg for four days and the swelling in my legs and ankles went down but not my feet! So far I have experienced no side effect.

August 13, 2011 3:41 PM

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I've been taking Lasix for about 10 years for swelling in my feet/ankles. I only have one kidney and have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I take 80 mg in the morning. It does not always take all the swelling out, but if I miss just one dose, I can tell it by the afternoon. Of course, if I take it in the afternoon, I'm up all night. NOTE: There IS a difference in taking the Lasix as opposed to the generic furosemide. For me, the generic is absolutely useless. My mother had the same problem, so maybe it's genetic. I've taken as much as 200 mg of generic at one time with no effect whatsoever. I've noticed no side effects from the Lasix.

February 4, 2011 8:56 AM

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I took my 40 mg today have peed 5 times this past 2 hours, other than that so far I feel fine. This is a first for me to ever take a water pill, but so far it seems to do its job.

November 5, 2010 4:02 PM

Review by ksop:

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I have had pitting edema, severe water retention all over my body mainly my face, hands, ankles, feet and lower legs. I to have felt the side effects of the side aches and leg discomfort. BUt have come to find out I also suffered from RLS ( restless leg syndrome). I do suffer from very minor headaches. But when one day you are swollen as a balloon and about 2 to 3 days later your are unswollen. I first started out on 10 mg as needed, then had to go up to 20mg when required, then daily. Then eventually kept raising it by 20 after that to 40mg daily. Then I ended up having to take 2 x 40 mg daily, 2 x a day. I also have insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome so that may have something to do with it. I'm now at 80mg daily.

September 30, 2010 2:24 AM

Review by KSOP:

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: Best medication I have found and it works. I have tried OTC fluid pills and some other prescription fluid pills, none of them work as well as the Lasix /Furosemide.

September 30, 2010 2:15 AM

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I really had edema all over my body (i.e. face, hands, feet), but especially on my legs! I went to my doctor and she prescribed this medication to me, it's working like magic! I take it in the morning as soon I wake up, I noticed it's more effective taken on empty stomach, then after breakfast and so on. I had to deal with some headaches(minor), but it was definitely worth it!!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2010 9:25 PM

Review by LJB_VA:

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I have been using Lasix in combination with Hydrochlorothiazide for 6 months for pitting edema/hypertension and it's effects seem to have worn off. I started on 20mg once a day for 2 months then up to 40mg once a day for the last 4 months. Now my legs are back to swelling as much as if I were taking nothing. My blood pressure is good though. Side effects, headaches.

May 6, 2010 8:10 AM

Review by Jill J.:

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I have taken Lasix for a week to reduce the swelling in my legs. It's working fine and I feel better. The side effects are manageable. I have to pee a lot, and I've had to deal with some headaches.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2010 4:18 PM

Review by njmonica:

Lasix (furosemide) for Edema: I was only able to take 40mg once. It took all the strength out of my legs - I couldn't even stand up.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2009 12:37 PM

Review by liloscar:

For Heart Failure: My vet gives this drug to my dog. He has C.H.F because of this he has been able to breath better and can now sleep better. Before he would cough blood and fluid.

October 30, 2009 2:39 PM