User Reviews for Advair Diskus

Learn more about Advair Diskus.

Advair Diskus Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Advair Diskus to treat Asthma, Maintenance

"Since I started an Advair diskus regime many years ago - I rarely have to use my rescue inhalers. In fact I lose more of them than I use. The only negative is the cost - over $200 for a month's supply - that wasn't a big issue when I had a sweet low copay but all that has changed since the Affordable Healthcare Act (A nice oxymoron there !). I was surprised to see Advair (actually under a different name, but still GSK's product) in Belize at just $55USD for the same dosage. Can't wait for generics to hit the market."

Rodley January 11, 2016

"I was a long time advocate of this med (250/50) - as it was the only thing that prevented asthma issues deteriorating into pneumonia. Had to use only from October to January - and then asthma would subside. Grabbed the med the other day and with first inhale lips, mouth, and tongue immediately began to tingle and swell. Raced to the sink and rinse out with sprayer, hoping the same thing wasn't going to happen in throat / lungs."

Bailey's Mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2016

"Was prescribed Advair two weeks ago and haven't used Albuterol inhaler since. I notice easier breathing immediately and had absolutely no side affects. I don't even taste it but always rinse anyway. Before using Advair, I was using the inhaler about 10 times a day and still was out of breath when I tied my boots. After two days on Advair, I was able to attend a Packers game and walked about a mile to the stadium and another 60 flights of stairs to get to our seats. I would have been dead the week before. I'm hoping I can continue using this medication without getting any side affects. I have my life back and want to keep it that way."

Thumber (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2015

"Advair is the only thing that has gotten my asthma under control. It gave me awful muscle cramps, but my nurse practitioner. let me try a muscle relaxant for that (I take a small dose of Tizanidine) and it works wonderfully. "

Rakuflames November 19, 2015

"I was prescribed Advair in combination with Spiriva after a bad asthma type attack in 2010 (1 of 3, the 1st in 2001; 2nd in 2007). I finally went to a Pulmonary Specialist in early 2010. The inhalers combined with a series of oral prednisone helped me to recover fully. At the advice of my new doctor I continued using the Advair and Spiriva daily. In 2013 I developed Virtigo and continuous bladder infections, determined that was related to the Spiriva, so I stopped that one. Several times during the 5 years,I have attempted to stop using Advair. I think it is addicting in nature; I am unable to breathe without it! THAT SUCKS....Especially since I was doing fine without any inhalers prior to continued use of Advair."

Inspectorlady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2015

"Have been taking it for 15+ years - its been a life saver. Don't remember the last time I had an attack or ER visit (which were mostly triggered off by dust and seasonal allergies, at least once or twice a year until I started Advair). Because of the high price, I end up extending to 60 days, sometimes over that. I use it once a day rather than twice - it works wonderfully as a preventative dose. My PCP is comfortable with this lowered dose, so the only risk I run is with the side effects and the delayed use of the disk. FortunatelyI don't feel much side effects. I did, however, end up developing an early cataract (at 42) and getting the surgery done and my eye doc has me on glaucoma watch, so it will probably catch up with me one day"

M Panjwani (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2015

"I had been on Advair for ten years and enjoyed not having asthma attacks, being able to exercise without using a rescue inhaler all of the time. Unfortunately due to the cost of Advair my insurance has dropped it from the list of medications they will cover and I have been switched to another brand. The new one does not work as well."

VLN (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2015

"This medicine changed, on a fundamental level, my quality of life. I went from nearly always being out of breath due to asthma to practically never needing a rescue inhaler. It made my asthma vanish."

THE BETTER BREATHER (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 11, 2015

"Age 59 Male. After having allergy asthma probably or decades a wet Spring after ugly winter and removing moldy insulation and ended me up at doctors. Started on 100/50. It helped but not enough. Ended up getting 250/50 and have been on since (4 years). It didn't stop the fairly constant post nasal drip which was almost constant at night. Got Singular for that and have taken ever since (4 years). I'm fine and dandy ever since and can do heavy workouts etc. Problems: Leg cramps, foot cramps hand cramps. I've always had a few but they can get ugly taking, I find drinking water, taking daily multivitamins and Magnesium keeps them at bay. Dry, sensitive mouth= no more medium or hot salsa etc. Watch your teeth."

Merkle December 25, 2014

"This has not worked for me. It has terrible side effects and I am trying to get off it."

dedub (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2014

"I was prescribed this inhaler for my asthma and I found it did a good job of bringing my breathing back to normal. However, I also experienced numerous side effects from the medicine such as very painful leg cramps/spasms that kept me from sleep and at times work/school and recurrent bacterial sinus infections (ie. Facial/ear pain, ringing in ears, headache) which I had never had prior to using Advair. I also had a sore throat at times while on this medication which to me is very minor and I would have continued use if this was the only side effect. Although it was not a good fit for me I would recommend this medicine to others who are struggling to control their asthma."

erin1228 July 8, 2014

"Works for me.. no issues except the price."

missxc36 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

"Sometimes my Diskus goes to "0" and I don't see it because I take it in the early morning and at bedtime. I DO notice the difference in my breathing. Anytime I start to feel a 'heaviness' I suspect that I have run out and I check the number on the Discus - this is always the reason. I keep my reading glasses by my bed from now on, so I have not made that error since I figure this out. Advair has been a lifesaver for me. I think I have been on it for close to 20 years, not sure. I am putting this here for others who don't have their asthma under control. I have had nothing but good experiences with this medicine."

Laufer Gern (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2014

"I have been fighting my doctors about Advair for about 4 years. About 1 year ago I got sick and I was using my Advair and I chose to stay on everyday. I was doing good then I stopped because I wanted to see if there was any difference, and oh my God, I realize a need Advair everyday. Moral of the story I take Advair everyday now and doing so much better."

Babyg1rl May 28, 2013

"Been on 250/50 Advair for just over a year. It does great at preventing asthma attacks. I still have congestion & coughing. Despite rinsing my mouth & brushing my teeth after use of Advair, my voice has become quite hoarse within the last 2 weeks. I'm thinking of switching back to Symbicort. I took Asmanex before taking Symbicort but it wasn't sufficient to control my asthma."

Mrs. Nature Lover April 8, 2013

"Prescribed Advair Diskus (250/50) twice a day. My blood pressure was 130/80 when I started medicine, which is about the highest if has ever been. I was not suppose to go back to the doctor for 30 days. But luckily last night I had my blood pressure checked, it was 151/98-I was shocked! I have only been on the medicine 15 days. Advair probably helped me through my upper respiratory problems, but I think I should have been warned about this side effect."

SKBW (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2013

"I suffered from severe asthma from childhood till I was 50. Several attacks required hospitalization and I was on every medicine known to treat asthma over this time period including extended periods of prednisolone, rescue inhalers, plus theophyline, Alupent, etc. I started taking Advair in 2002 and since that time have had no attacks whatsoever. For the first 3 years I still carried my Albuterol inhaler but finally had the confidence to stop carrying them. A momentous day indeed and not without some trepidation. I have suffered no side effects at all and this medicine has been a life changer and potentially a life saver for me. I hope it can do the same for you. I never believed I would be rid of asthma but I am."

Snoman 88 January 29, 2013

"I was on Advair for about five years and was able to breathe easily almost immediately after starting it. Before Advair, I used albuterol 6-10 times daily. I used to take the 500/50 Advair only once per day. Using it twice a day didn't make a difference in breathing, so that saved some money. I never had a thrush problem; actually, I never rinsed out my mouth at all. The reason I'm not using it any longer is the HUGE cost. My insurance is no longer covering it and I cannot afford over $300 for just one diskus. Am now taking Singular and am back using the albuterol rescue inhaler 6-7 times a day."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2012

"Has helped control my asthma, recently started 500/50 since I had another flare up. I don't need a rescue inhaler near as often. Do get thrush occasionally and a little sore throat. But it does keep my asthma attacks down a lot."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2012

"I give Advair 8 stars because it does what it's supposed to do. I have only had two asthma attacks since starting Advair almost a year ago. One was running without my inhaler. The second time was smoking. I took off two stars for side effects and use. I hate having to remember to take this twice a day. I usually forget. I also hate when I forget to wash my mouth out with water and get a little bit of thrush in my mouth."

LillyF (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 1, 2012

"Made my asthma so much better."

Anonymous April 10, 2012

"I don't know about others, but this is a god send to me. I have very, very bad asthma. Walking up a few stairs can wind me, as can walks (which I love doing), and exercising is extremely difficult. The pains from asthma problems can hurt quite a bit. I got on Advair and my dependency on my albuterol inhaler dropped from 2-3 times a day to maybe once a week. I was off of it for years because of insurance companies dropping it, and then not having insurance. I'm back on it now (after Primatene mist went off the market), and I'm doing great again. It hasn't kicked in to effect fully, but I can already feel its effects. The side effects can be bad for some people, but I'm a testament to how awesome it is."

Toni Goodman January 8, 2012

"I used to be hospitalized at least every 6 months with my asthma problems as a child until my adolescence. I have tried EVERY inhaler and pill to help with the symptoms. Then I started Advair when I was 15. I am 24 now and I haven't been hospitalized in 10 years. The only problem I have is tachycardia."

Anonymous October 26, 2011

"I've been on Adviar for more than 2 years and have had no problems with it. My asthma developed because of my newly discovered allergy to cats and it has allowed me to keep my pets without any breathing issues. It did give me some heartburn at first but, since I was overweight, I lost 20 pounds and that seemed to do resolve the heartburn issue."

Chicago Inhaler May 25, 2011

"I am giving it a 9 only because I have only been on it a few days. It works. I used to get so tired just doing my grocery shopping and have to sit 2 or 3 times during and feel like I can go for miles now. I do notice in the reviews the different ways people are using it. I was told after inhaling to rinse mouth thoroughly as the medicine can cause thrush. Anyway, I have a little chest tightness and get a bit of a headache at first but that goes away after about 30 minutes. "

dsgermick March 16, 2011