User Reviews for Prozac

Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 324 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Prozac

For Depression: If it wasn't for Prozac SSRI, I wouldn't be able to function normally; probably just lie in bed and not know what to do... Long story short, this drug is a God send. I'm not even on a high dose but I can feel that it's helping me get back on my feet and live. My goal is that this will help not only live again, but stronger.

April 9, 2012 7:16 PM

For Depression: Prozac worked for about a week or two. I felt very happy and pleased. I could handle my problems, and my suicidal thoughts went away. But now, every and anytime I'm sad, I have suicidal thoughts and they are worse than ever before.

April 8, 2012 3:49 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Was always stressed and depressed and blew up on people I love, give Prozac 6 weeks, it changed my life. I've been on Lexapro and Cymbalta. On 40mg Prozac, couldn't imagine life without it, everything just goes my way now and I'm super happy, and can think clearly, but somehow am still myself, and with no side effects. It's amazing.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2012 2:02 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been on a 10mg dose for 2 years and it has helped substantially. I had very bad anxiety (PTSD) and couldn't drive, and basically stopped eating. My heart would race and I just could not deal with the anxiety anymore. Taking this dose and having regular therapy has allowed me to get back to myself. I didn't have any side effects and I've never had to increase the dose. It is a really great medication.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2012 2:38 PM

For Panic Disorder: I've been hesitant try Prozac as I didn't want to be a zombie or overly sedated. But after 5 years of dealing with Panic Disorder/Generalized Anxiety and countless antidepressant not working, I decided to give it a try. The first month was pretty rough. I was always tired, brain was foggy and I continued to have anxiety. But I stuck with it and after increasing to 30 mg, I felt absolutely NORMAL. I could feel emotions and even a normal amount of anxiety without freaking out. It has also helped with social anxiety. DOWNSIDE - I find it almost impossible to get any deep sleep on this medicine, and no sleep medicine seems to work (I've tried them all).

April 1, 2012 10:50 AM

For Depression: I have been taking Prozac for two months. The first month I did not notice a difference but after 6 weeks I was not obsessing or getting angry and noticed I was more relaxed around other people. Being a shy person from the day I was born, I am still not interested in anymore social interaction, however I have noticed that I am now extremely tired on the Prozac which is debilitating and frustrating since I have an exam to write in 10 days and have no motivation to study. I have lots of energy when I am exercising so I don't think it's due to low iron or nutritional deficiencies. Went to doctor today and he recommended I stay on it for another month so the medicine normalizes in my body.

March 25, 2012 10:05 PM

For Depression: This medicine along with a 5HTP2 inhibitor helped lift depression in 2 months. I took Prozac after that for about 8 years with some break in between. When in depression a higher dose helps, for maintenance low dose was enough. If you don't see effects after 6-8 weeks at the high dose level, adding a medicine with a different action adding lithium at a small dose may help. This was the case for me. Brain is interesting and unique, but it is able to repair itself which is a great thing. It will get back to normal or even better with the right medicine. Don't underestimate the effect of adding exercise, fish oils, sunlight, social support, yoga and other healthy habits. Some of us have high maintenance brains, but it is totally worth it!

March 18, 2012 10:20 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I took Prozac for 15 years and it worked great for obsessive compulsive disorder! About 3 years ago I started noticing "mania" where I couldn't sleep or sit still to even eat. After seeing several different doctors who treated it with medication for ADHD or Bi-polar it was determined that it was a side effect to Prozac so I stopped taking Prozac and all the mania stopped. Google shows two side effects to Prozac are 1) can't sit still and 2) can't sleep at night. I wanted to share this unusual experience to help any others who may be experiencing mania and can't figure out why. If you too are on Prozac then it may be a side effect but check with your doctor.

March 9, 2012 11:22 AM

For Depression: I am 19 years old, and I was on liquid Prozac for about 3 months. During the 3 months of Prozac, I found that I was more tired and unable to concentrate. I found that I was even more anxious when on this medicine, more depressed, and I gained a considerable amount of weight. Before Prozac I was 130lbs, then I was around 155lbs by the end of the 3 months. While on this, I had no energy, no motivation to move on with my life, or no desire to engage in social interaction. My sex drive had gone way down and I was not very interested in having sex. Now, I have been off the Prozac for about 6-7 months, and I am slightly more motivated, my sex drive has gone way up, but my weight is still the same.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2012 10:38 AM

For Depression: If you're reading this, you're probably wondering the same thing I was....when will I get better? Feel normal again? Prozac has brought me my life back. I'm a 25 yr old Who has struggled my whole life with clinical depression. You name it, anxiety, nervousness, paranoia. I take 20mg a day paired with 15mg of Adderall for my ADHD. I feel great and I can actually function now.

March 5, 2012 11:06 PM

For Depression: I LOVE Prozac. I have major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder. I was on Lexapro for half a year, and despite not being a teen or young adult I had my first ever suicidal thoughts. On the Lexapro I felt sedated, I gained weight, and I was still depressed. It did help with anxiety, but instead I was often nauseated. Now after 2 weeks of Prozac, world of difference. I'm smiling, motivated, looking forward to the near and distant future. I still have some mild nausea, and it's not as good with the anxiety or insomnia. Still, it's great for me because I'm motivated and energetic enough throughout the day to make myself tired enough to sleep, and I'm better at dealing with stressful things.

February 28, 2012 1:25 PM

Review by Take a chill pill:

For Depression: Prozac has taken my body aches away, Prevents me from obsessing over what someone else did or said. Helps with anxiety, depression, stress, and crying. A lot of the other medications I had an allergic reaction to, or they made me lethargic and gain weight. Problems with short term memory and retaining new information, but that could be my age of 60.

February 26, 2012 6:15 PM

For Depression: I found that Prozac has greatly helped me, and I intend on continuing to take the medicine for some time. The only drawback is that I've found that even at max dosage I'm still greatly affected by my illness. This is going to be supplemented by Seroquel.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2012 12:21 PM

For Depression: I'm 16 and have been on Prozac for about 3 months and I must say that it's a great antidepressant. There are very few side effects for me including an upset stomach, feeling anxious, and few others which kept improving over time. This medicine really helped me to deal with my depression. Many symptoms like inability to maintain concentration, panic attack, losing control, brain fog, hopelessness, extreme negativism, fear of death improved within 2 weeks and kept improving onwards. I'm still on it and I just love it and I think it can help anyone with depression. With the pace of time, Prozac really helped me stay positive about everything. Sometimes I feel like I have already overcome my depression. It's really helpful.

February 14, 2012 3:30 AM

For Depression: I started taking 20mg/day exactly 1 week ago & I already feel a startling difference- like night & day. I had been seriously depressed for about 5 months, crying everyday, not sleeping & having nightmares when I did, gradually feeling worse. When I could no longer focus enough to get my school work done (I'm a college student) I finally asked my doctor for help. Now I can focus, I don't feel sad, I can smile, I'm less paranoid & I can sleep through the night. My doctor discussed Zoloft & Paxil initially, but I chose Prozac due to the side-effect profile & easy withdrawal as well as the fact it works for my mom for her fibromyalgia. I do have some of the sexual side-effects, but I'd rather feel happy. SO WORTH IT!

February 9, 2012 10:09 PM

Review by Ebbeeboy:

For Depression: After 4 years of trying alternatives for my depression/anxiety, such as meditation, yoga and exercise, I had returned to a very black hole and a very hopeless feeling. I spent Christmas all alone in my house, angry, vulnerable and lonely. I have returned to medication and have been on Prozac for 2 weeks. It has not fully kicked in yet. I feel a loss of appetite, very tired at times but on the flip side, I am slowly starting to become involved in more activities. Today I completed all my ironing, which laid on my chair for 6 months, cleaned the house and could actually concentrate on reading a book.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2012 5:40 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I've only been taking Prozac for a very short while but once it started to kick in, it was like waking up from a three year-long OCD/major depressive nightmare. I feel like myself for the first time in forever. I've tried other antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines and nothing else has worked for me. I'm already having less obsessive thoughts and compulsions, and the crippling sense of dread, anxiety and panic that accompanies my OCD is lifting. I just started it recently so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but the preliminary results have been amazing. I'm so grateful to feel like a human being again.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 10:42 AM

For Depression: I suffer frequent depression when negative events occur in my life. Prozac is a miracle that enables me to pick myself up before my bouts of depression become obvious to others eg. work, friends etc. Totally recommend use of this medicine to combat thoughts of hopelessness. I am now able to manage my life when I suspect a period of depression is looming. Thanks to the designer of this medicine.

January 30, 2012 11:17 PM

Review by MuchBetterNow:

For Panic Disorder: Prozac works great for me. It's helped pull me out of my 4 year depression. I wished I would have asked for help sooner. Prozac helped me get my "spark" back again.

January 30, 2012 10:44 PM

Review by Skuultaan:

For Depression: I've been taking Prozac for about 4 years. I took 10mg, then 20mg as of last year. It worked very well for a very long time, and I felt great for years, but I'm finally starting to feel a tolerance to it's effect, and it might be time to switch medications, but it's certainly been a good run. It helped me feel better, and lifted my depression.

January 23, 2012 8:40 PM

Review by Cyllene:

For Depression: Prozac got rid of lots of my circular thoughts about how awful I was, and helped my mind to concentrate better on school work. However, I "cared" less about what I was learning and studied for tests, not long-term memory. Prozac helped me to branch out and broaden my friendship circle. Though the quality of my friendships was more superficial than before. Prozac took a huge toll on my body. I had painful muscle cramps in my legs, back, arms, and neck. I always had large bags under my eyes and fell asleep during the day, because I slept very lightly on this medicine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2012 1:23 AM

For Depression: I am 53 years old and spent my entire life heavy. I mean 500lbs heavy by 25 years old. I had a gastric bypass in 1990 lost 100 pounds then gained back 60. In 2002 I lost my daughter and my doctor immediately put me on 20 mg of Prozac in two months raised it to 40mg, the next month to 60mg. It took several years to recover from my tragic experience. 3 years of the most stressful experience of my life but found myself down to 350 lbs. I thought it was the stress of the trial and went off the Prozac my weight started going up again. I consulted with my doctor and we decide to go back on the Prozac. I've been on it ever since and am down to a very healthy 150 lbs.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2012 4:53 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I took Prozac for 6 years continually. Started at 20mg/day and went up to 100mg/day at times. My new doctor took me off of Prozac 2 years ago and put me on another medication. I have gained 90 pounds in 2 years. I am pulling out my hair again, intrusive thoughts. I had no side effects from Prozac, no loss of sexual drive. I LOVED (and still love) Prozac. As a matter of fact I am going to the doctor tomorrow to see about getting back on Prozac!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2011 3:56 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Was on 10mg for 1 yr... not much change. Switched to 20mg for two weeks then doctor bumped it up to 30mg/day. I think it might help depression but I feel its doing very little to help anxiety. Don't like the idea of having to be dependent on medicines to make me feel normal. Stick with it awhile longer.

November 29, 2011 5:20 PM

For Depression: I have been on Prozac since I had post natal depression in 1994. It has saved my life and my marriage. I take 20mgs but my only son left home recently to go overseas and join the army so my doctor increased the dose to 30mg as I have been feeling anxious and not sleeping as well.

November 17, 2011 9:40 PM