User Reviews for Prozac

Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 28 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 304 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Prozac

Review by Cyllene:

For Depression: Prozac got rid of lots of my circular thoughts about how awful I was, and helped my mind to concentrate better on school work. However, I "cared" less about what I was learning and studied for tests, not long-term memory. Prozac helped me to branch out and broaden my friendship circle. Though the quality of my friendships was more superficial than before. Prozac took a huge toll on my body. I had painful muscle cramps in my legs, back, arms, and neck. I always had large bags under my eyes and fell asleep during the day, because I slept very lightly on this medicine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2012 1:23 AM

For Depression: I am 53 years old and spent my entire life heavy. I mean 500lbs heavy by 25 years old. I had a gastric bypass in 1990 lost 100 pounds then gained back 60. In 2002 I lost my daughter and my doctor immediately put me on 20 mg of Prozac in two months raised it to 40mg, the next month to 60mg. It took several years to recover from my tragic experience. 3 years of the most stressful experience of my life but found myself down to 350 lbs. I thought it was the stress of the trial and went off the Prozac my weight started going up again. I consulted with my doctor and we decide to go back on the Prozac. I've been on it ever since and am down to a very healthy 150 lbs.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2012 4:53 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I took Prozac for 6 years continually. Started at 20mg/day and went up to 100mg/day at times. My new doctor took me off of Prozac 2 years ago and put me on another medication. I have gained 90 pounds in 2 years. I am pulling out my hair again, intrusive thoughts. I had no side effects from Prozac, no loss of sexual drive. I LOVED (and still love) Prozac. As a matter of fact I am going to the doctor tomorrow to see about getting back on Prozac!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2011 3:56 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Was on 10mg for 1 yr... not much change. Switched to 20mg for two weeks then doctor bumped it up to 30mg/day. I think it might help depression but I feel its doing very little to help anxiety. Don't like the idea of having to be dependent on medicines to make me feel normal. Stick with it awhile longer.

November 29, 2011 5:20 PM

For Depression: I have been on Prozac since I had post natal depression in 1994. It has saved my life and my marriage. I take 20mgs but my only son left home recently to go overseas and join the army so my doctor increased the dose to 30mg as I have been feeling anxious and not sleeping as well.

November 17, 2011 9:40 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I took this medicine for OCD. It helped however I put on 30 pounds in 2 months and that's with not changing my diet or exercise. I've been off it for 3 months and the scale hasn't moved at all.

November 15, 2011 6:43 AM

Review by Overthinker:

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac was the first medicine I tried for anxiety. I tend to worry a lot and obsess over things. I felt a decrease in my anxiety but it made me too lazy. I didn't want to do anything except sit on the couch and watch TV. I was even too lazy to eat which caused me to lose weight. I then tried Lexapro which I gained weight on but felt a significant decrease in anxiety and now I am on Cymbalta and do not feel a significant decrease in my anxiety and am thinking about talking to my doctor about trying something new again.

November 4, 2011 8:46 PM

For Depression: This is my fourth day on Prozac. I have been extremely hyper/manic in the morning, but by night time I'm exhausted from all the bouncing around that it helps me sleep better. I talk a lot more and a lot faster. I talk to strangers on the street, say hi to people, which is very unlike me because I'm normally shy and reserved. I felt different the first day I took it. I wouldn't say I'm "happy", just not sad. I've tried to think about sad things that used to bother me but I feel neutral now. Today particularly I started to feel a little down. They say with every high comes a low, so I'm assuming it's crash time with this medication. But I'm hoping it will even out in the next few weeks, which is when you're supposed to feel it's full benefits.

October 30, 2011 11:05 PM

Review by greymare:

For Depression: Prescribed Prozac 20 mgs in 1988. In three days I felt much better. Tried several times to reduce dosage, but could not stay with lower dosage. I have been on 20 mgs ever since. It gave me back my life. In 1955, I was hospitalized and given electric shock treatments for a month. Then the depression returned in 1982(same year of menopause). My psychiatrist prescribed Elavil, then Palimor, and then Prozac. I am now 81 and take the same dosage. Still enjoying husband of 63 years, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Thank God, he sent Prozac.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2011 9:07 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Taking 10mg for OCD and social phobia with very satisfactory results. Only side effects I've experienced are loss of appetite and mild forgetfulness. I have not experienced a loss of sexual desire, in fact my libido has increased somewhat.

October 28, 2011 6:02 PM

For Bulimia: I've been on Prozac for 3 months now and I love it. Things aren't so negative anymore.

October 26, 2011 3:41 PM

For Depression: Life saver! I feel that I was possibly depressed for maybe a decade or less, but soon after my father passed away about two years ago- I hit rock bottom. I was EXTREMELY depressed. I just couldn't function emotionally, physically, etc. I would sleep all the time. I just overall felt like life was not exciting anymore and that I lost my sense of identity or having a purpose! Not only did my fathers passing cause me to become more depressed, but lots of other MAJOR traumatic stressors hit me all at once too. So, I had and still have a lot going on. BUT since I have been taking Prozac (only 10mg)- I am alive again and HAPPY! I just feel normal. I don't cry anymore. I feel amazing. Oh and no side effects at all! Just happiness.

October 24, 2011 8:31 PM

Review by missmiracle:

For Depression: Well, I'm a 23 going on 24 yr old alcoholic who always relapsed constantly due to not feeling good at all. Feeling weak, depressed, stress, major anxiety and drinking helped that. After my 3rd medical detox I was put on Prozac and didn't drink for over a year. It changed my life. Best year I ever had. Now it's 2011 and in February I had a relapse and have been struggling to get back on track this whole year. I realized that I can't handle life on lifes terms without being on my Prozac because I, the DR, and the nurse seen a big difference in me when I took it. I'm already on my third day of taking it, which some might think to soon to tell. BUT, I'm telling you I feel great, I feel worry-free, it changed my life and helps my sobriety.

October 17, 2011 2:21 PM

For Bulimia: This medication was completely useless for treating my bulimia or any symptoms associated with it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2011 1:47 AM

Review by madougl:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I've taken Prozac for 15 years, started when my husband was critically ill. It was a life saver, it stopped me from crying all the time. He passed away in 1998 and continued taking it for depression..was taking 40mg a day and yes it takes all sexual desire away. I remarried 6 years ago. I weened myself off of it because of that. I developed Compulsive Overeating...that's all I thought about. I gained a lot of weight so I'm back on it. I could care less about sex. I don't like going to sleep the dreams are vivid, but it does help me with my appetite. I don't think about food all the time like I did.

October 7, 2011 9:18 AM

Review by Riah:

For Depression: It works but it makes me feel like I have no emotions. I'm not happy nor sad, angry nor upset. Like I'm just here.

September 30, 2011 11:46 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: Only been on 10mg for a week now but already feeling the benefits and about to begin 20mg. The only downside is that it did give me anxiety on one particular day that I was extremely stressed out and depressed and I felt somewhat on edge, hostile, aggressive, anxious. But now I feel totally euphoric and my social anxiety has decreased significantly and I expect it to continue to get even better. I also have post traumatic stress disorder from a car accident. I have noticed a small amount of improvement so far but not much. Will comment again perhaps in 1 month to let you all know how its going.

September 29, 2011 11:28 PM

Review by lavt0422:

For Hot Flashes: I was told for years Prozac would be great for me. When my doctor told me about Prozac for my hot flashes I signed on ASAP. I was hoping for a double whamie. Yes, they took care of the hot flashes rather quickly and the happiness side a bit later. I am on 10mg and would like to get a larger dosage. Next conversation with the doctor. TRY IT.

September 28, 2011 11:39 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking 20mg of Prozac for 2 days now. Feeling really anxious, more so than before if that's possible but I know this is a bit of a waiting game. I'm going to give it a good 2 months before making any kind of decision. Really hope this works out because these feelings are messing up my marriage to the love of my life.

September 14, 2011 3:37 AM

For Depression: Originally my doctor prescribed me Klonopin (anti-anxiety medicine) and I took it for a year and started to feel very slow. I had a very blunt expression on my face and my family started to begin to think I was depressed. I saw another doctor and he prescribed me Prozac. It has relieved much of my depression and anxiety. I smile more and I think a bit clearer now. I don't worry all the time and I actually feel worth something. The first 3-4 weeks you don't see much improvement but once you hit 2 months you start to feel a lot better (at least I did). However, there are some sexual side effects, and you can feel drowsy.

August 27, 2011 3:48 PM

Review by cajungirl:

I have been on Prozac 20 mg for about 3 weeks now. I love it. No mood swings/anger, no sad thoughts or tearfulness. I was sleeping 18 - 20 hours a day. I just couldn't get out of bed. Now, I'm going to the gym 3- 4 times a week. Not to mention, I've actually LOST 16 pounds. I wish I had tried it sooner.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2011 1:55 PM

For Bulimia: I'm taking 60 mg Prozac since 4 weeks. I only relapsed twice in the first week (while being on a lower dose) It took away the urge to binge and even purge. I'm less depressed, too. I've been through 5 years of psychoanalysis and 2 hospital stays all to no avail (never took medicines). I have bulimia for over 25 years and am hopeful to get rid of the food pressure - for good. Prozaz changed my life so far. I'll update at a later time.

August 15, 2011 11:01 PM

Review by Mudshark:

For Depression: This medication has caused severe sexual side effects. As a 58 year old active person, I have been on this for two years. Although this did wonders for my panic and depression, it has leveled my libido and I can't climax.

August 10, 2011 2:41 PM

For Fibromyalgia: Helped me to stop crying on a daily basis which I was doing because of my Fibromyalgia pain. Still have the pain, but have a better attitude.

August 8, 2011 5:13 PM

Review by chealseasee:

For Anxiety and Stress: I didn't realize how stressed I was until I'd been taking Prozac for 6 weeks and compared myself to what I was like the previous month. I'd been stressed for a really long time. Now, less stressed, I'm more focused and productive in work! I didn't think that was possible. I'm also creative again. I feel I have a chemical imbalance that needed redressed. I always thought having to take anti depressants was a sign of failure but now I realize it's just a chemical imbalance. Good luck!

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2011 3:51 PM