User Reviews for Prozac

Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 28 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 298 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Prozac

For Depression: This is my fourth day on Prozac. I have been extremely hyper/manic in the morning, but by night time I'm exhausted from all the bouncing around that it helps me sleep better. I talk a lot more and a lot faster. I talk to strangers on the street, say hi to people, which is very unlike me because I'm normally shy and reserved. I felt different the first day I took it. I wouldn't say I'm "happy", just not sad. I've tried to think about sad things that used to bother me but I feel neutral now. Today particularly I started to feel a little down. They say with every high comes a low, so I'm assuming it's crash time with this medication. But I'm hoping it will even out in the next few weeks, which is when you're supposed to feel it's full benefits.

October 30, 2011 11:05 PM

Review by greymare:

For Depression: Prescribed Prozac 20 mgs in 1988. In three days I felt much better. Tried several times to reduce dosage, but could not stay with lower dosage. I have been on 20 mgs ever since. It gave me back my life. In 1955, I was hospitalized and given electric shock treatments for a month. Then the depression returned in 1982(same year of menopause). My psychiatrist prescribed Elavil, then Palimor, and then Prozac. I am now 81 and take the same dosage. Still enjoying husband of 63 years, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Thank God, he sent Prozac.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2011 9:07 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Taking 10mg for OCD and social phobia with very satisfactory results. Only side effects I've experienced are loss of appetite and mild forgetfulness. I have not experienced a loss of sexual desire, in fact my libido has increased somewhat.

October 28, 2011 6:02 PM

For Bulimia: I've been on Prozac for 3 months now and I love it. Things aren't so negative anymore.

October 26, 2011 3:41 PM

For Depression: Life saver! I feel that I was possibly depressed for maybe a decade or less, but soon after my father passed away about two years ago- I hit rock bottom. I was EXTREMELY depressed. I just couldn't function emotionally, physically, etc. I would sleep all the time. I just overall felt like life was not exciting anymore and that I lost my sense of identity or having a purpose! Not only did my fathers passing cause me to become more depressed, but lots of other MAJOR traumatic stressors hit me all at once too. So, I had and still have a lot going on. BUT since I have been taking Prozac (only 10mg)- I am alive again and HAPPY! I just feel normal. I don't cry anymore. I feel amazing. Oh and no side effects at all! Just happiness.

October 24, 2011 8:31 PM

Review by missmiracle:

For Depression: Well, I'm a 23 going on 24 yr old alcoholic who always relapsed constantly due to not feeling good at all. Feeling weak, depressed, stress, major anxiety and drinking helped that. After my 3rd medical detox I was put on Prozac and didn't drink for over a year. It changed my life. Best year I ever had. Now it's 2011 and in February I had a relapse and have been struggling to get back on track this whole year. I realized that I can't handle life on lifes terms without being on my Prozac because I, the DR, and the nurse seen a big difference in me when I took it. I'm already on my third day of taking it, which some might think to soon to tell. BUT, I'm telling you I feel great, I feel worry-free, it changed my life and helps my sobriety.

October 17, 2011 2:21 PM

For Bulimia: This medication was completely useless for treating my bulimia or any symptoms associated with it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2011 1:47 AM

Review by madougl:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I've taken Prozac for 15 years, started when my husband was critically ill. It was a life saver, it stopped me from crying all the time. He passed away in 1998 and continued taking it for depression..was taking 40mg a day and yes it takes all sexual desire away. I remarried 6 years ago. I weened myself off of it because of that. I developed Compulsive Overeating...that's all I thought about. I gained a lot of weight so I'm back on it. I could care less about sex. I don't like going to sleep the dreams are vivid, but it does help me with my appetite. I don't think about food all the time like I did.

October 7, 2011 9:18 AM

Review by Riah:

For Depression: It works but it makes me feel like I have no emotions. I'm not happy nor sad, angry nor upset. Like I'm just here.

September 30, 2011 11:46 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: Only been on 10mg for a week now but already feeling the benefits and about to begin 20mg. The only downside is that it did give me anxiety on one particular day that I was extremely stressed out and depressed and I felt somewhat on edge, hostile, aggressive, anxious. But now I feel totally euphoric and my social anxiety has decreased significantly and I expect it to continue to get even better. I also have post traumatic stress disorder from a car accident. I have noticed a small amount of improvement so far but not much. Will comment again perhaps in 1 month to let you all know how its going.

September 29, 2011 11:28 PM

Review by lavt0422:

For Hot Flashes: I was told for years Prozac would be great for me. When my doctor told me about Prozac for my hot flashes I signed on ASAP. I was hoping for a double whamie. Yes, they took care of the hot flashes rather quickly and the happiness side a bit later. I am on 10mg and would like to get a larger dosage. Next conversation with the doctor. TRY IT.

September 28, 2011 11:39 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking 20mg of Prozac for 2 days now. Feeling really anxious, more so than before if that's possible but I know this is a bit of a waiting game. I'm going to give it a good 2 months before making any kind of decision. Really hope this works out because these feelings are messing up my marriage to the love of my life.

September 14, 2011 3:37 AM

For Depression: Originally my doctor prescribed me Klonopin (anti-anxiety medicine) and I took it for a year and started to feel very slow. I had a very blunt expression on my face and my family started to begin to think I was depressed. I saw another doctor and he prescribed me Prozac. It has relieved much of my depression and anxiety. I smile more and I think a bit clearer now. I don't worry all the time and I actually feel worth something. The first 3-4 weeks you don't see much improvement but once you hit 2 months you start to feel a lot better (at least I did). However, there are some sexual side effects, and you can feel drowsy.

August 27, 2011 3:48 PM

Review by cajungirl:

I have been on Prozac 20 mg for about 3 weeks now. I love it. No mood swings/anger, no sad thoughts or tearfulness. I was sleeping 18 - 20 hours a day. I just couldn't get out of bed. Now, I'm going to the gym 3- 4 times a week. Not to mention, I've actually LOST 16 pounds. I wish I had tried it sooner.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2011 1:55 PM

For Bulimia: I'm taking 60 mg Prozac since 4 weeks. I only relapsed twice in the first week (while being on a lower dose) It took away the urge to binge and even purge. I'm less depressed, too. I've been through 5 years of psychoanalysis and 2 hospital stays all to no avail (never took medicines). I have bulimia for over 25 years and am hopeful to get rid of the food pressure - for good. Prozaz changed my life so far. I'll update at a later time.

August 15, 2011 11:01 PM

Review by Mudshark:

For Depression: This medication has caused severe sexual side effects. As a 58 year old active person, I have been on this for two years. Although this did wonders for my panic and depression, it has leveled my libido and I can't climax.

August 10, 2011 2:41 PM

For Fibromyalgia: Helped me to stop crying on a daily basis which I was doing because of my Fibromyalgia pain. Still have the pain, but have a better attitude.

August 8, 2011 5:13 PM

Review by chealseasee:

For Anxiety and Stress: I didn't realize how stressed I was until I'd been taking Prozac for 6 weeks and compared myself to what I was like the previous month. I'd been stressed for a really long time. Now, less stressed, I'm more focused and productive in work! I didn't think that was possible. I'm also creative again. I feel I have a chemical imbalance that needed redressed. I always thought having to take anti depressants was a sign of failure but now I realize it's just a chemical imbalance. Good luck!

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2011 3:51 PM

For Depression: I've been on Prozac for 17 years, and it's still a miracle drug for me. It definitely saved my life. I tried going off of it, and that was a mistake. Fortunately, it still works for me.

August 4, 2011 2:44 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've taken Prozac before and it helps with anxiety as long as I don't drink too much alcohol (which makes anxiety worse afterwards). The problem for me is getting used to the medication so I start on 10mg for a week then slowly increase the dose to 20mg. For a few weeks though I'm more anxious and at times suicidal and depressed so I take Valium while that's happening. This whole cycle is hard so to take Prozac is not an easy decision for me, but I'm keen to feel 'good' again so I'll stick with it.

July 31, 2011 8:58 PM

Review by BeautifulMommy1324:

For Depression: I never had any problems with depression until I got hurt at work in 2009. Since then I've lost 5 homes, 2 cars and have been completely stressed and severely depressed. Most days I didn't even get out of bed. I became very anti-social. I was prescribed Prozac and am only on day 5 and I can already feel a difference. I'm up and out of bed. I have more energy then I've had in months and I don't feel like everything is hopeless anymore. I'm still having issues with irritability and severe mood swings, but hopefully my doctor can treat that with something else. Overall I couldn't be happier with this medication. So far so good, not even any side effects to speak of. It's great.

July 25, 2011 10:44 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac is my miracle medicine. I have been on 6 different antidepressants over the years and Prozac is the only one that ever helped me feel "normal", with NO side effects. It is wonderful, it's hard to find an SSRI that causes no side effects for me. Prozac has been the only one and I just love it. My quality of life is much better now and I can function in a happy state of mind. Wonderful.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2011 11:14 AM

Review by CLWW:

For Depression: I'm hoping my posts will help others who are on the fence about antidepressants. My story - in short - is anxiety has plagued me since my teens, depression joined the parade in my late teens/early 20's. I have tried several medications over the years and because they either made me flat or sick I didn't stick with them. Recently decided Prozac would be my last attempt. I started taking 20 mg every morning 2 weeks ago. I have had very little in the way of side effects. Some mind shakiness in the morning, little bit of difficulty falling asleep, mild fatigue, and dampened appetite. The benefits - to this point - are - surprising. I am much calmer, the anxiety is 80% gone, the depression is still present but not like 2 weeks ago and before. It's dissipating for sure. Life doesn't look so "all or nothing" which is a nice change. My spouse said my "fidgets" are gone. I was almost constantly moving in some form or another. I know some people think the medication reaction is "all in ones head" but since my problems ARE all in my head - I don't care if it's the medication, me thinking it is or a combination. All I can say is, for the first time in a very, very long time I am able to run errands, be more social and have actually gotten a full time job in the past 2 weeks. I am able to better care for myself now thus able to care better for my spouse. I have no plans to stop the Prozac. With 20 mg/once a day being a low dose and with it helping to this point, I'm going to roll with this as long as I can.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2011 3:58 PM

For Depression: I had never taken an antidepressant before. I was recently diagnosed with gastritis and irritable bowel syndrome and have been dealing with many emotional issues for quite a long time before these health problems. The constant nausea from the condition only worsened my mood and outlook on life. I was on Prozac 10mg for exactly a month. After 2 weeks I noticed a HUGE difference in my overall mood and outlook on life, it was wonderful! After 3 1/2 weeks my entire body started to itch; palms of my hands, in between fingers, behind ears, feet, legs, arms, you name it, it itched! Finally talked to my doctor and decided to stop Prozac and start Paxil. I hate that I had to switch, and I'm not too excited about it. Hope this time is a charm.

July 17, 2011 4:57 PM

Review by Wiz Khalifa Jr:

For Depression: Started on 20mg about two weeks ago.. anger always troubled me.. couldn't control my emotions. Starting to take this medicine and honest to God, it saved my life. I turn 20 in two months, ready to start a new life.. it's like a rebirth. NO side-effects. Just smiles.

July 15, 2011 12:43 AM