User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Panic Disorder

"Most of my life I have struggled with severe panic attacks, general anxiety, PTSD & moderate depression. Been on meds twice before until I felt better & then I would stop taking them. This last time it had been close to a year that I had been suffering again before I decided to reluctantly go back on meds. I tried Celexa again- it worked kinda okay in the past but this time it made no improvement for me. Saw the doc who switched me to Prozac- all I can say is WOW! Best yet- I feel like my old, happy self after only 1 month! 10mg the first week, 15 the second and 20mg the last two. Give it time to work & be patient- it might make you feel a bit off & not better at first, but it is a miracle drug. These bad feelings will pass hang in there!"

DavidKirsch38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

"I was on 10mg Prozac for general anxiety and panic attacks for 2 years. I had no side effects and my panic attacks decreased tremendously. However I recently started having them again so my doc worked me up to 40mg/day. I feel happy. But I feel like it is too much. I don't feel love anymore, and I feel like my emotions are so flat that although I'm not getting the panic attacks, I would almost rather deal with them than be unable to feel emotions. I have been dating a guy for 2 years, and all of a sudden after being on 40mg daily for six weeks I don't feel like I'm in love with him anymore. I can't tell if it is because of the medication or if it is actually me. I will be talking to my doc about decreasing my dose to 20mg."

Vizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2015

"Have been on Prozac since it came out many years ago. I had severe panic disorder with anxiety attacks. I was also agoraphobic. Since being in Prozac I was able to return to work, go to college. Now that I am retired I am able to travel to different states."

KitkT August 7, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Fluoxetine is pretty gentle compared to most other anti-depressant medicines. I had a good response from Zoloft almost 20 years ago, and when I had breakthrough depression I was switched to Effexor. Effexor worked but was prohibitively expensive. Then I was finally stated on Prozac(fluoxetine). I had zero side effects during the first week--which was vastly different from my experience with the other two--and at 40mg/day fluoxetine seems just as efficacious. Fluoxetine has worked well for my panic, depression, and general anxiety. One must give it time to work. For people that are really struggling six weeks can seem a lifetime, but for many that is how long it takes for fluoxetine to 'work'."

OnceStuckInLimbo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2014

"I started experiencing panic attacks a few months ago, so bad that I thought I was dying each time I had one, my college NP prescribed me Prozac, the first month of taking it was HELL, my anxiety defiantly increased and I had more frequent panic attacks, my doctor said this was normal and to stick with it and I did! Let me tell you it has changed my life, I am able to function normally now and even though I experience some anxiety, I am able to manage it. Prozac has just made me a genuinely happier person and I recommend it to anyone with anxiety, especially with panic attacks and depression."

Alex D (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2014

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"One of the few anti-depressants I can tolerate. Most cause major sleep disorders, But with Prozac I don't have a problem. Not really sure if it helps much with panic attacks, I've tried 20mg and 40mg, sometime 40 mg seems to be a bit much."

Sambaluk August 1, 2013

"Did not work for my anxiety and made it difficult to maintain an erection."

Tamakachi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2013

"I've been taking Prozac 20MG for 3 weeks now. It has changed my life. I take other meds (Xanax 1MG, Depakote 1000MG, Norco 10/325MG, Nexium 40MG) For other problems. Well I take the Xanax 4 times a day as needed to help with my anxiety and panic disorder. My Panic attacks were so bad I was hospitalized for a week. I couldn't function. I suffered unknown seizures because of panic disorder. Now I can Go about my Life. The only problem I have with Prozac is that it makes me go to the bathroom very often. The first few days it made me sleepy but that went away. I'm 16. It also helps depression too, its helped mine a lot. I would recommend this to anyone who suffers from severe anxiety like me."

chandlaaz (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I got severe depression in College, had it in high school as well and took some antidepressant that started with an L (I really can't remember). I started taking Prozac my 2nd year in college after my girlfriend broke up with me. It helped tremendously overcome the loneliness. The only problem I've ever had with it is my REM sleep. I didn't take my pill for 2 days over spring break this past week and had the worst panic attack I've ever had in my life I thought I wanted to die, it was the worst car ride I have ever experienced. As soon as I took my Prozac everything was better. I trust this."

Livinglife420 March 23, 2013

"Prozac absolutely changed my life. Not only did it get rid of my daily anxiety and is slowly but surely getting rid of my social anxiety, but it also made me generally a happier person. By far the best anxiety medicine I've tried."

laurenleisa (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2012

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been hesitant try Prozac as I didn't want to be a zombie or overly sedated. But after 5 years of dealing with Panic Disorder/Generalized Anxiety and countless antidepressant not working, I decided to give it a try. The first month was pretty rough. I was always tired, brain was foggy and I continued to have anxiety. But I stuck with it and after increasing to 30 mg, I felt absolutely NORMAL. I could feel emotions and even a normal amount of anxiety without freaking out. It has also helped with social anxiety. DOWNSIDE - I find it almost impossible to get any deep sleep on this medicine, and no sleep medicine seems to work (I've tried them all)."

Anonymous April 1, 2012

"Prozac works great for me. It's helped pull me out of my 4 year depression. I wished I would have asked for help sooner. Prozac helped me get my "spark" back again."

MuchBetterNow January 30, 2012

"I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder and Major Depression which was a total panic in itself. My doctor and therapist both agreed that I should take an antidepressant. I was so scared of the medicine because of the panic disorder that I tried other remedies first. I did EMDR cognitive thinking as well as many others. After a few months of therapy, and depression getting worse I decided to give it a try. It has saved my life. If you are scared it is worth it. The side effects for me lasted about 2 days and were very mininal really just dry mouth and tired that was about it. I have only been taking this medication for 3 weeks and feel awesome. I have some anxiety but I am able to control it the way any other human should and can. I recommend it."

Anonymous December 6, 2010

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just started using Prozac a couple of weeks ago and it has been life changing. I am a combat veteran who suffers from severe anxiety and sleeping problems and this drug has completely abated those symptoms. My mood is much better, I can concentrate for longer periods of time and I don't have the social anxiety that was plaguing me since I left the Marine Corps. All in all, this is a great drug that has helped me move on from my anxiety. I take 20mg per day (minimum dose) and that is working fine."

Anonymous October 30, 2009

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It's a miracle drug. I took this for anxiety and panic attacks and slight depression. It has changed my life. I am happier. I have made more friends in the past month. It has helped with everything; school, stress, anxiety and self confidence. I cant recommend it enough."

jacksk8ter January 16, 2009

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Prozac for 15 years and it was definitely a wonderful drug for my disorder. I was Agoraphobic for 22 years before my doctor discovered Prozac helped with Panic attacks. I started it and in a week I was walking out of my house and greeting my neighbors! I started working and doing things I never dreamed I could do. Then in 2005 my insurance changed to another Pharmaceutical plan and you could take generics or pay full price for the brand name. Unfortunately the generic did not do the same thing as the brand. Prozac price has risen to $403.65 for 3 months and unfortunately I cannot afford this."

jarg46 August 31, 2008